Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Sibley County, Minnesota


Obituaries and Death Notices

Altnow, Mrs. J. F.
Source: Winthrop News, Jan. 25, 1923, page 3 (Winthrop, MN); submitted by rll.

Mrs. Ollig and sons, Loren and LeRoy, were at Henderson Thursday where they attended the funeral of Mrs. Ollig's mother, Mrs. J.F. Altnow, who passed away at her home in Henderson on Monday, January 15th, after a long illness. She had attained the age of 67 years, 8 months, and 17 days. The deceased was an old resident of Sibley county and enjoyed a large acquaintance, especially in and about the vicinities of Arlington and Henderson, where she was held in high regard. She is survived by her husband, and two daughters, Mrs. Ollig of Winthrop, and Florence at home. The funeral was held from St. Paul's Ev. church at Henderson and burial was made in Brown's cemetery. Rev. M. Lehmann officiated.

Anderson, Charles
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Nov. 30, 1922, page 1; submitted by rll.

Grim Reaper Claims First Pioneer
Death of Mr. Charles Anderson, Closely Follows That of His Wife, From Asphyxiation.

The family circle of two of this community's highly respected elderly people have been called upon to bear the burden of a double sorrow in the loss of their aged father, Mr. Charles Anderson, who was the second victim to meet with death, due to asphyxiation by coal gas, an account of the tragic experience appearing in the last issue of the News, when the aged mother was found dead and her husband in a critical condition.

The sad affair took place on Saturday morning, November 18th. It was not, however, till the following Tuesday that Mr. Anderson showed encouraging signs for the better. He then rallied and continued to improve until the following Friday, the day of the burial of his beloved wife, when his condition took a turn for the worse and he gradually became weaker, death following on Tuesday, November 28th, at 1:00 o'clock a.m.

Charles Anderson was a native of Sweden. He was born in Tofteryd parish, Smoland, Sweden, August 24th, 1838, being 84 years, 3 months and 4 days of age at the time of his sad death.

He grew to manhood in his native land and when 30 years of age decided to come to America to establish his future home. He arrived in this country in the year of 1868 and was first temporarily located at St. Peter. The following year 1869 he made a trip into Sibley county and filed on homestead in what is now Bismark township. It was also this same year that he was united in marriage to the woman who was his life's companion for better than a half century, only to meet with the same sad and unexpected death after such a long period of happy and successful wedded life. Mr. Anderson later relinquished his homestead rights and in 1870 he located in Sibley County on the site referred to in our last issue as Eagle City.

We learn that the home of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson was then known as the "halfway" house between Henderson and Ft. Ridgely, where immigrant trains west bound, and people traveling by stage were cared for in the early pioneer days.

Mr. Anderson took out his citizenship papers as soon as time would permit and cast his first vote for General Grant for President. He had always taken an active part in public affairs and held many positions of trust.

He was successful in his efforts in turning the virgin soil into productive farm lands and for many years was one of the prominent and progressive farmers of Cornish township. He and his estimable wife retired from the farm in 1914 and removed to this city to enjoy the fruits of their labors in the sunset of life.

In his death the community suffers the loss of a man held in high regard and one who enjoyed the distinction of being the first pioneer of this immediate section.

It is indeed sad to chronicle the demise, so unexpected and tragic, as was his death and that of his beloved wife, and those near and dear to them have the profound sympathy of the entire community in this the hour of their bereavement.

The children left to mourn are: a daughter, Selma, Mrs. G.L. Benson; and three sons, Harry, Emil and Edward all of this immediate vicinity.

The funeral services will be held next Sunday afternoon, from the home at 1:30 and from the Mission church at 2:00 o'clock. Reve. E. Aug. Skogsbergh of Minneapolis, will officiate.

Anderson, Inga
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Nov. 2, 1922, page 1; submitted by rll.

Elderly Couple Overcome by Gas
Mrs. Chas. Anderson Is Dead and Her Husband Remained In Unconscious State For Many Hours.

This community was shocked beyond expression Saturday morning when word was passed that Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Anderson were the victims of asphyxiation by coal gas and that the aged mother was dead and little hope held out for the recovery of Mr. Anderson.

A neighbor, Mrs. D. W. Erickson, failing to see the usual activity about the Anderson home that morning decided to make inquiry and reaching the home her alarm at the doors went unanswered. This was about 10:30 a.m. She became suspicious that there must be something wrong and ran immediately to the homes of T. Thorson and J. Aug. Swanson notifying them. On arrival at the residence they were compelled to force the rear door open to gain entrance.

When they had opened the door they immediately discovered that the home was full of gas fumes and found the aged couple in their bed both in an unconscious state. They immediately notified the doctor who arrived shortly and discovered that Mrs. Anderson was dead and that Mr. Anderson was breathing slightly. He continued to show signs for the better, however, but it was not till the Tuesday following that he had regained consciousness so as to be able to converse with any of the members of the family, although his condition is still critical he is gradually on the gain.

The deadly gas escaped from a hard coal heater which had been in operation about two weeks. At an early hour on the morning of the tragedy Mr. Anderson was seen by a neighbor emptying the ash can. It is presumed that he had arose to clean out the stove and had added coal at the time and had returned to his bed for a brief rest. When found that morning he was partly dressed. It is thought that the humidity in the atmosphere, had much to do with checking the draft thru the stove pipes.

The affair is indeed a sad one and the sympathy of the entire community goes out to the grief stricken family.

Inga Streed was born in Smoland, Sweden, August 9th, 1842, having attained the age of 80 years, 3 months and 9 days at the time of her sad death. She grew to womanhood in her native land and in the year of 1869 she immigrated to America and first took up her residence at Red Wing, Minnesota.

November 7th of that year she was united in marriage to Mr. Chas. Anderson at St. Peter. They spent the following winter at LeSueur and in 1870 came to Sibley county locating a half mile to the south of this city, their residence standing near the present site of the Lindstrand farm home.

This was before the town site of Winthrop had been laid out, their closest trading point being New Ulm. The local postoffice at that time was known as Eagle City. Here the deceased continued to make her home for 11 years and in the year of 1881 moved onto the farm in Cornish which had been her home until 1914 when she and her husband retired from active farm life and purchased a residence in South Winthrop which had since been their home. We are informed that Mr. and Mrs. Anderson bore the distinction of being the last of the surviving pioneers of this immediate vicinity. November 7th, 1919, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson celebrated their 50th golden wedding anniversary.

Besides the aged husband there are left to mourn four children: one daughter, Selma, Mrs. G.L. Benson; and three sons, Harry, Emil and Edward all of this immediate vicinity. Three children died in infancy. She is also survived by a brother P.G. Streed of South Winthrop.

In the loss of Mrs. Anderson one of our well known and most beloved citizens has been removed from our midst. To the family she was a kind and indulgent mother and in her associations among her many near and dear friends she was always held in the highest regard. While her sad death is one of profound regret her memory will long be cherished.

The funeral services will be held next Friday afternoon. Devotional will be held at the home at 1:30 a.m. and at 2:00 from the Mission church. It was this house of worship that the deceased held active membership. Dr. E. August Skogsbergh of Minneapolis will officiate. Burial will be made in the Winthrop cemetery.

Anderson, John W.
Source: Winthrop News, May 10, 1923, page 7, (Winthrop, MN); submitted by rll

John W. Anderson of 11 Bush Street, died at the W.C.A. Hospital at 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon, aged 36 years. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Esther E. Anderson; a son J. Wallace Anderson, and a daughter, Miss Alberta C. Anderson and two brothers and five sisters, all of Winthrop, Minn., and two brothers of Hibbing, Minn. Mr. Anderson, previous to his illness, conducted a meat market on the corner of North Main and Seventh streets. He was well known in lodge circles, being a member of Jamestown Lodge, K. of P., the I.O.O.F., and Thule Lodge, Order of Vasa. He was a member of the First Lutheran Church and of the Hundred Members Society of that church. The above item appeared in the columns of Jamestown, N.Y. Daily News. Cause of death was convulsions. The funeral was held at Jamestown on Saturday, April 28.

Appel, G. C.

Winthrop News (Winthrop, MN), November 23, 1922, page 3, rll


The many Winthrop friends of Conductor G. C. Appel, will regret to learn that he passed away at his home in Ft. Dodge, Iowa, last Saturday morning, November 18th. Cause of his death was diabetes, a disease he had been ailing with for a number of years. The body was taken to Storm Lake, Iowa, his former home, for burial, the funeral services being conducted under Masonic auspices at the Presbyterian church at 2:00 o'clock. Mr. Appel was forty-seven years of age and is survived by his widow, his mother, Mrs. Mary Appel, and one brother, Mack Appel. The deceased enjoy a large and favorable acquaintance here and has been employed with the M. & St. L. R. R. for many years. He made Winthrop his home for a long period being in charge of the New Ulm switch run. He was a member of Sibley Lodge No. 209 A. F. & A. M. becoming identified with the local lodge in 1913. "Charlie", as he was best known in local railway circles was held in high regard by his associates and admired by his many Winthrop friends.

Bergquist, Emma
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Jan. 11, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Found Prostrate On Railway Tracks
Mrs. C.F. Bergquist Suffers Apoplectic Stroke From Which She Fails to Rally.

The uncertainty of death has been again revealed in the unexpected demise of Mrs. C. F. Bergquist of Lafayette, well known in and about Winthrop, where this estimable woman had made her home for many years.

Her sad and sudden death, which might be termed nothing short of tragic, occurred on Wednesday morning at the hour of 2:30 a.m.

On the afternoon previous to her death she went to the home of her son, Theo. F. Bergquist, and had spent the afternoon visiting, apparently in the best spirits and enjoying her usual good health. This was about 3:00 p.m. About 6:30 she left her son's residence to return home. At this time Mr. Bergquist, her husband, phoned to learn if she was on her way, and was so informed that she had already left homeward bound. She and husband had planned on attending prayer meeting that evening.

Several minutes elapsed and Mr. Bergquist again made inquiry by phone as to her whereabouts and it was then that he was informed of the shocking news.

Her body was found lying prostrate across the M.& St. L. tracks by Mr. Anderson, a grocery dealer. Help was immediately summoned and she was carried to the office of Dr. F. W. -ehmler (unable to read last name of Dr.), but all possible aid was of no avail. She failed to regain consciousness. Her fall was thought to have intensified the hemorrhage of brain, which bought on the sudden stroke, and which cost her her life.

From the imprints in the snow it was discovered that after her collapse she had forcibly dragged her body a considerable distance in an effort to reach her home, but fell into unconsciousness when she had reached the railway tracks where her prostrate body was found. The news of her sad and unexpected death when received here came as a distinct shock to her wide circle of friends throughout this community. Her last visit to her old home, Winthrop, was shortly before Christmas, when she greeted friends in her usual happy spirit and was enjoying good health.

Emma Appelquist was a native of Sweden. Her birthplace was Island of Kollands, Vestergotland. She was born on May 15, 1856, and had attained the age of 66 years, 7 months and 18 days.

In was in the year of 1872, when 16 years of age, that she immigrated to America accompanying her brothers, who came westward and located in Sibley county, Minn., at an early date following the arrival to the U.S. she continued her residence with her brothers on the farm in Alfsborg and on March 5, 1874, she was united in marriage to Mr. Bergquist. In the fall of 1874 Mr. and Mrs. Bergquist moved to St. Peter residing there until 1882 when they moved to Fremont, Iowa, where Mr. Bergquist accepted a position as organist and instructor. In the spring of 1884 Mr. Bergquist accepted a call as organist from the Augusta church in Minneapolis.

It was in this city that the deceased continued her residence until 1892, when she located at Winthrop where she lived for 28 years. In May 1920, she moved to Lafayette, her husband being a pioneer builder of that village and accredited with un--ading the first consignment of --mber at that point, and where he has since maintained his business interests.

Mrs. Bergquist was the proud mother of five sons. They are Dr. -E., of Duluth; Prof. J. Victor, of Minneapolis; Theodore, of Lafayette; Prof. E.B. of Little Falls; and Cscar, Druggist at Galesville, Wis.

She leaves to mourn her sad death her aged husband, five sons; two brothers, Gust Larson, of Alfsborg; Swan Strom of Rockford, Illinois. She is also survived by 13 grandchildren.

Mrs. Bergquist was a woman of strong Christian faith and was held in high esteem by all who knew her. She was of kind hearted and charitable disposition and never falter in her duty as a devoted wife and mother and true neighbor and friend. In her loss the community mourns the death of one of its most beloved citizens.

Funeral services were held Saturday. A devotional was held at the T. F. Bergquist home in Lafayette, followed by services in the Lafayette, followed by services in the Lafayette Swedish Lutheran church. This was followed by services at the Swedish Lutheran church in Winthrop, burial being made in the Winthrop cemetery. The officiating clergymen were Rev. A.F. Lundquist of Winthrop, and Rev. John H. Nelson of Lafayette.

The five sons and a brother, Swan Strom, served as pall bearers. The floral offerings were many and beautiful and a large number both here and at Lafayette were in attendance to pay their last respects to this beloved woman.

Boelter, Herbert
Source: Winthrop News (MN) April 26, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

H. Boelter Dies at Bismark Home

Rare' Affliction, Addison's Disease Claims Life of Highly Respected Young Man. The Angel of Death visited the Boelter home in Bismark Monday morning and claimed the life of one of the sons, Herbert, age 22 years. The young man was a victim of addison's disease of which he had been a patient sufferer for a long period. Herbert was beloved by a host of near and dear friends who will regret to learn of his untimely death. He is survived by his widowed mother, Mrs. Anna Boelter, four sisters and two brothers.

Borchert, Wilhelmina
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Aug. 23, 1923, page 10; submitted by rll.


This week we are called upon to chronicle the demise of Mrs. Wilhelmina Borchert, wife of Mr. Fred Borchert of Transit township. Her death occurred Sunday, August 12th, and the cause of her passing away so early in life, was cancer of the stomach, with which she suffered for a number of years, but it was only about ten days before her demise that she was confined to her bed.

Wilhelmina Borchert, nee Spaude, was the daughter of William and Mathilda Spaude, and was born in the old country, on Dec. 24th, 1872, at Buchwald, Pomerania. Her age at the time of death was 50 years, 7 months and 18 days. She came to this country in the year 1892 with her parents, one brother, and one sister.

They settled immediately in this community. In the year 1898 on January 21st, she was united in marriage to Mr. Fred Borchert. Six children were born to this union, 2 sons and 4 daughters. One daughter died when 2 months old. Besides the sorrowing father and children she is survived by one brother and three sisters.

The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon from the Mountville Lutheran church, of which she was a faithful member. Rev. Mueller of that parish conducted the funeral rites. Burial was made in the cemetery at Mountville.-Hub.

Borreson, Mrs. George
Source: Winthrop News (MN) July 26, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Mrs. Borreson Drowned.
Mrs. Borreson, wife of Geo. C. Borreson, traveling auditor for the Midland Lumber & Coal Co., was the third person to lose her life by swimming in the Twin cities Monday. She was drowned in Cedar Lake. She waded into deep water and sank and when her body was recovered shortly following, all efforts to save her proved futile. Mr. Borreson was out of the city at the time. She is survived by two children, Louise, 16 year old, and George, 7 years old. Mr. Borreson is quite well known in Winthrop, having the local Midland Lumber Co's yard under his supervision. Local friends condole with the sorrowing husband and children in their sad misfortune.

Boyle, William

The Irish Standard (Minneapolis, MN), February 17, 1906, page 2, rll

Henderson, Minn.-William Boyle died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Thos. F. Welch, Thursday morning of last week at the age of 73 years. Mrs. Boyle was born in Rutherford, Ireland, and came to this country as one of the early settlers of this country, with her husband, who was killed on the railroad track near Arlington, by a special train, about fifteen years ago. Their union was blessed with eight children, three boys and five girls, viz: Mrs. Patrick Gallagher, of transit township; Mrs. M. J. Welch, of Washington Lake township; Mrs. Michael Toole, who died in Montana some time ago; Mrs. Thos. F. Welch, of Henderson; Mrs. William O'Brien, of Arlington; Wm. Boyle, of Arlington township; James Boyle, of Alfsborg, and John Boyle, who died when at the age of 21 years.

Carlson, Marie
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Sept. 20, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Young Woman Accidently Killed
Mrs. Marie Carlson Victim of Sad Accident. Struck by Truck. Dies Before Ambulance Arrives.

The many friends of Mrs. Marie Carlson throughout this community will regret to learn that she was accidently killed when struck by a motor truck within short distance from her home at Minneapolis.

The accident took place on the morning of Wednesday, September 12th. The following brief account is gleaned from the daily press: "Mrs. Carlson was knocked down and run over by Luger's machine as she stepped from the curb with her back to the traffic, witnesses told the police. Luger, according to these witnesses was driving about ten miles an hour and brought his automobile to a stop within five feet after striking the woman. Mrs. Carlson died before the ambulance arrived. She is survived by her husband, Theodore Carlson, a motorman employed by the Minneapolis Street Railway Company." The accident took place at Lyndale and Lowery avenues just two blocks from the woman's home.

Marie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tore Johnson, was born on the old home farm in Cornish March 1st, 1892, having reached the age of 31 years, 6 months and 22 days. She grew to womanhood in this locality and later took up her residence in Minneapolis. Her marriage to Mr. Theodore Carlson of that city, was solemnized on August 21st, 1920.

Besides her sorrowing husband she is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tore Johnson of Cornish, five sisters; Emma, Mrs. Carl Becklund of Minot, N. Dak.; Anna, Mrs. Nick Arouni of Great Falls, Montana; Julia, Mrs. Richard Bentley and Ellen Mrs. Axel Johnson, both of Minneapolis; and Miss Florence of Winthrop. Three brothers also survive; Carl of South Bend, Indiana; Oscar of Scappoose, Oregon, and William at Home. All the immediate members of the family were present at the obsequies with the exception of sister, Anna, who was ill at the time.

The funeral took place last Saturday afternoon at the hour of 2:00 p.m. Rev. C. Emil Bergquist, pastor of Our Saviours church, 24 Chicago Av., officiated. Burial was made in the Crystal lake cemetery. The bier was banked with a profusion of floral offerings.

Clancy, Patrick

Winthrop News (Winthrop, MN), November 23, 1922, page 1, rll


Former Resident Dies In Wisconsin

Patrick Clancy Buried at Green Isle on Tuesday, November 14th.

(Green Isle Record)

The remains of Mr. Patrick Clancy who passed away suddenly Sunday night at his farm home near Cumberland, Wisconsin were brought here for burial Tuesday evening and waked at the Matt Bradley home until the following morning when interment was made at St. Brendan's cemetery.


Deceased was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin October 2, 1858 and came to Green Isle with his parents when but a youth. He married Miss Mary Coleman and later moved to Winthrop, Minn., where he worked on the railroad several years, afterwards taking up farming near there where he lived for twenty-two years and then located at Gibbon. The past five or six years he has been attending to a farm in Wisconsin, while his family lived on a large farm near Gibbon.


He is survived by his wife and six children, namely; John F., Elizabeth Margaret and Mary Ellen of St. Paul James P., William P. and Hazel, on the old homestead at Gibbon.


The funeral was held here Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. Father Byrne officiating. Interment was made in the family lot beside his son Ernst, who preceded him to the grave only three weeks ago.


Those who attended the funeral from a distance were his brother Wm. Clancy and daughter Margaret of Superior, Wisconsin, Mrs. Math. Wilson of Norwood, and Peter Clancy of St. Paul.


Mr. Clancy's death was due to heartstroke. He was found by his neighbor sitting in a chair near the table where he had been passing away the time in a game of solitaire.

Cormier, Amelia
Source: The Hub (1899) submitted by

Death of Mrs. Sydney Cormier
This week it becomes our solemn duty to chronicle the death of Mrs. Sydney Cormier (nee Miss Amelia Benson) formerly of this place, which occurred at her home near Henderson last Tuesday, June 8th at 11:00 o'clock in the forenoon. Mrs Cormier was a highly respected young lady and her many friends will be surprised to hear of her sudden and untimely demise. Death resulted from an attack of inflammation of the bowels after four day's illness. She was born July 7th 1873 and spent her early childhood in Bernadotte, Nicoliet County, being nearly twenty-six years of age at the time of her death. She leaves a sorrowing husband and an infant child (son) of eight months to mourn her sudden departure. Mrs Cormier resided in Gaylord nearly thirteen years and was quite popular. The funeral will take place this fornoon at Henderson, The Hub extends sincere sympathy to the bereaved relatives.
Cormier, Arthur
Source: Henderson, Minnesota (20 Mar. 1936) Submitted by

Early Pioneer of Henderson Passed Away at Oakland California
The remains of the late Arthur CORMIER, pioneer of Henderson and Kelso arrived in Henderson early Sunday morning from Oakland, California and were taken to the home of a nephew, Louis DUROCHER, this city, where he lay in state until Monday morning when the funeral was held with services at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, and the remains were interred in the family lot in the cemetery of that parish. Rev. Father BOUSKA officiating. The pallbearers were six grandsons of the deceased. All the children were present at the funeral except Mrs Fred BELIVEAU, Richard and Henry Cormier.

The late Arthur Cormier, pioneer of Sibley County, who passed away at the home of a son at Oakland, California, on Tuesday March 10, was a native of Canada. He was born at St Charles Montreal, March 18, 1843. His mother passed to the great beyond when he reached the age of five years. His father married again two years later. His second wife lived only two years following the marriage, after which his youngest sister lived with him. Soon afterwards they removed to St. Paul, Minn. in 1856, traveling by rail and water, from Chicago to Dubuque, and by boat from there to St. Paul, arriving there the latter part of May. At St. Paul Mr Cormier worked at the carpenter trade all summer, removing to Henderson in November 1856, and with his brother-in-law St. DURCHER built a log house in partnership in Frenchtown, this city. The lot was donated by Jessie CAMERON, and that was the first two story house in Henderson and was still standing in 1928 when he went to California. After a time they located on a homestead in Kelso township with a French colony consisting of the PELEIRS, AMIOTA, MAISENEVEAUS, MANNELS, LEBEAUS, and others.

When about fifteen years old he went to Fort Snelling and hired out to drive mules and went with the expedition under General SIBLEY'S command, starting with 400 wagons and several regiments of infantry and calvary. They came via Henderson, Fort Ridgely, Travers to the Missouri River. Then encountered Indians and in the skirmish killed a few. Arthur's father returned to Canada during the Indian outbreak, but Arthur continued to work until he moved to Fort Snelling. The expedition could not cross the Missouri and returned, after which Arthur continued at Fort Snelling. The following year he went on another expedition, and another skirmish with Indians followed but the redskins managed to get away to the Bad Lands. Arthur had many adventures and some narrow escapes from death, but after five months returned to St.Paul where he followed the carpenter trade, and afterwards went south to Louisville, Kentucky and was at the place where President Lincoln as assassinated, after which he returned to St. Paul. In April 1866,He married Miss Louise DOUGAL and they returned to the farm where they reared a family of twelve children, one of whom, Sidney passed away about five years ago at Laurel, Montana. The remaining surviving children are: Ida LANG. Oakland CA; Anne DECOSS, St Paul, MN.; Vina BELIVEAU, Long Beach, CA, Mary SHEA, Faribault, Mn.; Albert Cormier and Josie HEALOW, Billings, Mt.; T.J. Cormier, Casper, Wyo.; Dildy ROY, New Richmond, Wis.; Jeanette FLEMING, Livingston, Mt.; Charles Cormier and Richard Cormier, Oakland, CA. with whom the deceased lived for the past ten years. He also leaves 51 grandchildren and 27 great grandchildren, besides other relatives who mourn him. In 1902 Mr. and Mrs Cormier removed to LeSueur, after retiring from the farm. There two years later his wife died and a happy family circle was broken. Mr Cormier in late years resided with children in various parts of the country but in recent years he lived with his son, Richard Cormier, in CA. He was a kind, upright man and was in high regard by his many old friends in MN. and elsewhere who join us in extending sympathy to the bereaved relatives.

Cormier, Louise
Source: the Hub (1904) submitted by This was an obit of my Dads' (Arthur J Cormier) Grandmother. Shirley Cormier Vandersloot

Mrs. Arthur Cormier Passed Away Last Saturday..

This week we are called upon to chronicle the death of a highly respected lady, Mrs. Arthur Cormier, who passed a way at her home in Le Sueur Saturday night January 30 at 10:55 o'clock p.m. The immediate cause of her death was cancer, from which she has suffered for several years.

Mrs. Cormier, who was a daughter of Ambrose DOUGAL was born at Joliet, IL June 11,1851 and was almost 53 years of age. She spent her childhood at Joliet and in the spring of 1856 came with her parents of Minnesota and settled across the river, in Scott County, on a farm. In 1866 she was united in marriage to Arthur CORMIER of Kelso township, Sibley County and resided there until 1902 when she and her husband removed to Le Sueur, where all the kind care and medical aid could accomplish to alleviate her sufferings, was done for her.

She leaves besides her husband and children, Two sisters and a brother. The children, twelve in number are: Mrs. Matt Lang of Kelso, Mrs. Charles Decosse, Sumerset, Wis., Mrs. Fred Beliveau of Henderson, Sidney Cormier of New Richmond Wis., Mrs. George Roy, New Richmond, Wis., Albert Cormier, Kelso, Mary Cormier, of LeSueur, Theophilus Cormier, of St Paul, Mrs. Robert Healow, Le Sueur, Charles Cormier, of New Richmond, Wis. and Richard and Jeanett Cormier of Le Sueur. Funeral services were held Tuesday Morning at the Catholic church at Le Sueur. The remains were brought to the Catholic cemetery this city, Henderson, Minn. for interment.
Delger, Agnes
Source: Winthrop News (MN) March 29, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

This week we are called upon to chronicle the sad death of Mrs. Ralph Delger of Sibley township, who passed away at their home on Tuesday, March 13th, at 11:20 p.m. Cause of death was lobar pneumonia. Mrs. Delger was sick for about eight days and her death is a hard blow to the husband and son, as well as to relatives and friends.

Mrs. Ralph Delger (nee Agnes E. Peterson) was born in Nicollet county on July 31st, 1877 and her age on July 31st of this year would be 46 years. On June 28th 1904 she was married to Mr. Ralph Delger, and they have lived on the farm in Sibley continuously since. A son, Burton, was born to them, his age being 16 years.

Besides the husband and son, she leaves to mourn her death her aged mother, 4 sisters and 2 brothers, namely: Thos. Peterson of San Diego, Cal.; Arthur of Norseland; Mrs. C.A. Anderson of Taylor Falls; Mrs. F.W. Severt, Chicago; Mrs. F. Godfrey, Denver, Col.; Mrs. J. Baldwin, Denver, Col.

The funeral was held Friday afternoon with services at the Sibley Lutheran church and interment in the cemetery of that congregation.-Hub.

Edlund, Evelynne Harriet Loraine
Source: Winthrop News, Sept. 13, 1923, page 3, (Winthrop, MN); submitted by rll

A very impressive funeral ceremony was conducted when little Evelynne Harriet Loraine Edlund, was laid to rest in the Silent City. Services were held on Thursday, August 31, Devotional took place at the home at 2:00 p.m. and services at the First Lutheran church in this city at 3:00 p.m. Rev. A.F. Lundquist officiating. Mrs. Lundquist sang "Face to Face: and the quartet sang "There Will be no Dark Valley When Jesus Comes". There were six little flower girls, namely: Lucile Linnemann, Dorothy Runkle, Irene Larson, Lorinda Nelson, Harriet Johnson and Blossom Larson. The four pall bearers were: Ruth Larson, Irene Johnson, Lanette Linemann and Evelynne Larson.

Evanson, Alfred
Source: Aberdeen Daily News (Aberdeen, SD) Thursday, February 20, 1908; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

On Feb. 13, Alfred Evanson of Gibbon, Minn., was taken sick with pneumonia at Peter Laulo's place of which family he was a relative being a nephew of Mrs. Laulo. In spite of all that could be done for him he died Thursday morning the 12th. He was 22 years old and came to South Dakota over a year ago and was one of those young men who help to make this world seem good to live in. The parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Evanson of Gibbon, Minn., although starting at the first suggestion of danger, were not able to reach their boy while he lived, arriving a few hours after he had passed away. Funeral services were held at the Laulo residence the 14th and after his friends, which include all who knew him, and relatives had taken a last look at the still countenance he was taken to Cresbard from which place his brother, who had been with him during his illness, and his parents, started for the home in Minnesota, where four brothers and four sisters sere sadly awaiting the sorrowful home returning.

The two families, Evanson, and Laulo, wish to extend their thanks to friends and neighbors for aid and sympathy through this bereavement and to Dr. Hoffman of Cresbard who attended him and did all that human skill and effort could do.

Foltz, William F.
Source: Billings Gazette (MT) July 9, 1968; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Marmarth, N. D. - William F. Foltz, 87, Henderson, Minn., died Monday evening at his daughter's home, Mrs. Bernard Martin, in Marmarth, N.D.

He was born April 13, 1881, at Henderson, Minn., a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Foltz.

Survivors include his widow, Henderson, Minn., a son Floyd Foltz, Henderson, Minn.; two daughters, Mrs. Mae Martin, Marmarth, N.D., Mrs. Clara Heberle, LaCanada, Calif.; three sisters, Agnes Foltz, Margaret Foltz and Mrs. Emma Cramer, all of Henderson;10 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services and burial will be at Henderson, Minn. Stevenson Funeral Home of Baker is in charge of arrangements.

Fritz, William
Source: Grand Forks Herald (Grand Forks, ND) Friday, September 12, 1913; transcribed by FoFG mz

Elbow Lake, Minn., Sept. 11. - Overtaken by the stork while accompanying the remains of her husband to Henderson, Minn., for burial, Mrs. William Fritz of Donnybrook, N. D., was assisted from the train here and in a nearby office building gave birth to a son.

The husband was drowned on Sunday near Donnybrook while hunting. The couple had been married less than a year.

Mrs. Thomas Moffett of Donnybrook remained here to attend the young mother, while E. T. Carey of the North Dakota town, escorted the body of Fritz to Henderson, where it was buried today.
Gabbert, Mrs. Aug.
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Jan. 25, 1923, page 3; submitted by rll

Mrs. Aug. Gabbert of Henderson, aunt of Mrs. Aug. Melius, died last week Wednesday. Funeral services were conducted at Henderson Sunday.
Gasow, Friedrich John
[Source: Winthrop News (MN) Dec. 1, 1932, page 5; submitted by rll]

Death has claimed another early settler of this community this week, Mr. Friedrich John Gasow passing to his last rest at six o'clock on Friday afternoon, Nov. 18th, after but a week of sickness. His death resulted from the effects of an attack of pneumonia and heart failure. Mr. Gasow was about town the previous week up to the time he became ill, in his usual rugged health. He had always enjoyed good health and his taking away in such a short time is a shock to his family and many friends throughout this section. Friedrich John Gasow was born on March 5th, 1840 at Woosten, in the Province of Mackleburg, Germany. His age at death was 83 years, 8 months and 13 days. At the age of 2 years, he came with his parents to this country, settling first at Chicago, Illinois. After about seven years in that state, he came to Minnesota, settling in this community on the farmstead known as the Gasow homestead, several miles east of Gaylord. His union with his surviving helpmate, nee Eliza Kimpel, took place at the old home on April 14, 1882, their golden wedding anniversary, commemorating fifty years of happy married life, being celebrated this year. The union was blessed with seven children, all of who survive. After the marriage the couple settled on the farm one mile south of this place, which was their home until they retired from farm life in 1923 to enjoy their declining years in our village.

Gustafson, G. A.
New Ulm Review (New Ulm, MN), October 13, 1909, page 6, rll


Lafayette Ledger:-G. A. Gustafson, one of the aged and respected residents of Alfsborg died Monday morning. The immediate cause of death being brain fever. Mr. Gustafson was born in Smaland, Sweden, Dec. 19, 1864. Came to this country in 1856 and stayed in Wisconsin for 2 years after which he removed to Goodhue county. He came to Sibley county in 1870, and was married to Mathilda Pearson in 1885. The funeral was held at Bernadotte Thursday afternoon. He leaves to mourn his death, his wife, a sister, Mrs. Frank Hed, and a brother Frank Gustafson.

Hertwig, Rev.
Source: Winthrop News, April 5, 1923, page 1, (Winthrop, MN); submitted by rll

News reached us Tuesday to the effect that Rev. Hertwig had passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Rolf, at Mountville. Rev. Hertwig will be remembered, especially by the older residents of this community. For many years he served as pastor of the German Lutheran church at Gaylord, and some few years ago retired due to the infirmities of old age. His death occurred on Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. due principally to old age. He had attained the age of about 80 years.

Jennings, Levi
Source: The Geneseo Republic, Geneseo IL, January 11, 1860, transcribed by Nancy Piper

Died on Wednesday, Dec. 28th 1859, very suddenly, Levi Jennings, at Henderson, Minnesota, where he had gone with his son to transact business. His remains were removed from there to East Cambridge in this County, his place of residence during the last week. His age was about 65 years. He leaves a family and many friends to mourn his loss.

Johnson, Charles Henry
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Jan. 25, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Pioneer Settler Is Called Beyond
Mr. Chas. Henry Johnson Passed Away Wednesday, Jan. 17. Had Been Ill for a Long Period.

The death of Mr. Chas. Henry Johnson occurred at his home in east Winthrop on Wednesday, January 17. Cause of his death was asthma, a disease of which he had been a sufferer for twenty years. He bore up bravely at all times and despite his affliction, coupled later with the infirmities of old age, he was always of a happy disposition, which had much to do in prolonging his life, being spared to enjoy the ripe old age of 78 years, 6 months and 17 days.

Chas. Henry Johnson was native of Sweden. He was born on June 24th, 1844. His marriage to Miss Anna Lena Andersdotter took place in Sweden February 13th, 1867. In the year of 1869 Mr. Johnson came to America and was followed a year later by Mrs. Johnson. They then settled on a homestead in the town of Transit, Sibley county, Minn., where they resided for 26 years.

During his residence in Transit Mr. Johnson acquired a farm in Alfsborg township where he located in the year of 1896 and where he continued to make his home until ten years ago when he retired from active farm life and took up his residence in Winthrop, his son Louis M. becoming owner of the Alfsborg farm.

In the passing of Mr. Johnson this community suffers the loss of one of its most highly respected and beloved citizens. He bore the distinction of being one of the first settlers to locate in this community and at the time he took up his homestead there were but three other families residing in that section.

It had been Mr. Johnson's good fortune to aid in turning the virgin soil into productive farm lands and by thrift and well directed efforts made a success of his life's work and was spared to enjoy the fruits of his labors before being called to the Great Beyond. He was a gentleman of strong Christian faith and one of the charter member of the Swedish Lutheran church of Winthrop. He was held in high admiration by his host of near and dear friends.

He is survived by his wife and five children; John A. of Atwater, Louis M., Alfred C. and Emma of Winthrop, and Henry of Lafayette.

The funeral was held Sunday afternoon. Devotional was held at the home at 2:30 o'clock followed by services at the First Evangelical Lutheran church. Rev. A.F. Lundquist officiated. Burial was made in the Winthrop cemetery.

The pall bearers were his four sons, John A., Louis M., Alfred C. and Henry; and two nephews John Swenson and Andrew Malm of this city.

A large delegation of friends were present to pay their last respects to the departed and the floral offerings were many and beautiful.

Kallusky, Edwin Herman

Winthrop News (Winthrop, MN), January 11,, 1923, page 3

Herman Edwin Kallusky passed away at his home in Wadena, Minn., on New Year's Day, death resulting from cancer of the stomach. He had been in a critical condition for some time. He was born in Gottschin, Brandenburg, Germany in 1868. He came to America when a boy 17 1/2 years of age and came directly to Winthrop, where he clerked for C. S. Johnson, formerly a Winthrop merchant. For the past 28 years he had resided at Wadena where he owned and operated the Wadena Bottling Works. In addition to his wife he is survived by one daughter, Mrs. LonKopp of Wadena, and four sons; Arthur, Clarence, Philip and Dr. Fred Kallusky, the latter of Minneapolis. He is also survived by one sister who resides in Germany. Mr. Kallusky will be remembered by the older residents at Winthrop.

Kaysa, Anna
Source: Winthrop News (MN) June 28, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Aged Mother Is Called Beyond
Anna Kaysa Larson Answers Call of Her Maker Monday. Death Comes Unexpected.

This week we are called upon to chronicle the death of one of Winthrop's well known and beloved citizens, Mrs. Anna Kaysa Larson, who was called to her reward on Monday morning, June 25, at the old house in South Winthrop.

Her sudden and unexpected death came as severe shock to the family circle as well as her host of near and far friends throughout this community. It is hard to realize that she has crossed the Great Divide. But a short time ago she was about in her usual remarkable health and good spirits. At an early hour on Wednesday a.m. of last week she arose from her bed and accidently slipped and fell. Her fall awakened the Lenander family who occupy the downstairs of the Larson home and they went to the foot of the stairway but heard no further noise and gave the incident little thought.

In the morning, however, Mrs. Larson did not arise at her usual hour, and upon investigation she was found lying in bed suffering with an injury to her right hip which she sustained in her fall, although she was enabled to help herself back to bed and did not apparently realize the seriousness of her mishap.

From then on her decline was very rapid and on Monday morning she passed peacefully away. Cause of her sudden and unexpected death was attributed to a severe nervous shock coupled with old age.

Anna Kaysa Larson (nee Andersdatter) was born in Skarabors Lan, Sweden, on January 21st, 1844. She immigrated to America in 1869 she came directly westward to Minnesota locating at St. Peter. In 1870 a marriage to the late C.J. Larson took place and they immediately began housekeeping on the homestead in Alfsborg. She continued her residence here until 25 years ago when she moved to Winthrop, this city ever since being her home.

She figured prominently as one of the pioneer settlers of this locality and was a woman held in high esteem by all who knew her. She was a kind and devoted mother and ever ready to lend a helping hand to those in need. In her death the community suffers a loss of a beloved woman and in her sudden passing all condole with a grief stricken family.

She is mourned by three children: John Larson of Winthrop; Joanna Mary, Mrs. O.N. Johnson of Gibbon; and Carl Emil Larson of Winthrop. She was preceded to the grave by her husband and three sons, ? Victor, Gustaf Edwin and ? Oscar, the latter dying in infancy.

The funeral services will be held in the Benadotte church today (Thursday) where burial will be held. A devotional will be held at the L.J. Larson home in South Winthrop at 2:30 preceding the church services. The deceased was a member of the Bernadotte church where she held membership to the time of her death.

Kummer, Nick
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Feb 15, 1923, page 6; submitted by rll.

Mrs. Elmer Hanson received the sad news Sunday evening of the death of her brother, Nick Kummer, who passed away at his home in Minneapolis. He was 36 years of age. Cause of his death was not learned. He is survived by his aged mother, two sisters and a brother. Mrs. Hanson left for Minneapolis Monday and Mr. Hanson left Tuesday to be present at the funeral services, which were being arranged for either Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

Kyrklund, Carl Herman
[Source: Winthrop News (MN) Dec. 8, 1932, page 1; submitted by rll]

Mr. Carl Herman Kyrklund Succumbs Following brief Illness With Pneumonia
News of the untimely and unexpected death of Mr. Carl Herman Kyrklund, one of this community's well known and beloved citizens, was received with profound regret by his large circle of friends. Few were apprized of his brief, but fatal illness.

He was taken ill on Tuesday of last week, but it was not until Thursday that he was confined to his bed. Pneumonia developed and his death occurred the Sunday following at 10:40 a.m.

Carl Herman Kyrklund, a native of Sibey county, was the son of Johannas and Johanna Kyrklund, pioneer residents of Cornish township, Sibley county. He was born on the old homestead February 19, 1876. He was 56 years, 9 months and 15 days of age when stricken.

He continued his residence on the old home farm until manhood and later acquired a farm of his own in Cornish township where he has since resided.

His marriage to Miss Julila Kristina Johnson occurred on May 8th, 1907. Besides his sorrowing widow, three children survive, Stanley, Myrtle and Norman. His aged father, who resides at Lindstrom, a sister, Hilda, Mrs. Chas. Fredeen of Clairmont, S. Dak., and three brothers, Erland, of Lindstrom, William of Winthrop and Frank of Minneapolis, also survive.

He was a gentleman of quiet, though friendly and affable disposition and was held in high regard by his friends who were legion. He always took a pronounced interest in affairs of his home community and for several terms served as treasure of Cornish township. His sudden and unexpected death came as a sad blow to the family circle and to his many close friends.

Funeral services were conducted yesterday, Wednesday, at 1:45 p.m. from the home, 2:00 p.m. from the First Lutheran church, Rev. E.A. Martell officiating. Burial was made in the Winthrop cemetery.

Liekfett, Delford
Source: Winthrop News (MN) May 10, 1923; submitted by rll.

Delford Liekfett Claimed by Death During Past Week.
Delford William Herbert Lickfett

Died, at the Union hospital in New Ulm, on Monday May 7th, at the hour of 9:00 o'clock, little Delford William Herbert, son and only child of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Lickfett, aged 5 years, 2 months and 3 days. Little Delord was born at Winthrop February 14th, 1918. Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Lickfett are now making their home at New Ulm, moving to that city from Fairmont a few months ago.

The little boy was taken ill the latter part of April and May 1st was operated on at the union hospital at New Ulm for mostoids Complications developed and he passed away to the arms of his Maker a few days following his operation.

Thus over a happy home the shadow of a little grave has fallen and his precious little life, so rough with blessing to his parents, has been claimed by the messenger from unseen lands as his own.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the home in New Ulm at 1:00 o'clock and from the St. Paul Lutheran church in that city at 1:30. Rev. Albrecht conducted the services in German, and Rev. Kuehner of Winthrop, conducted in the English services.

The little body was brought to Winthrop for burial and was laid to rest in the Winthrop cemetery. Rev. Kuehner officiated at the grave.

Little flower girls were: Agnes Volinkaty, Viola Abraham, Myrtle and Erna Lickfett, Elsie Spiering and Esther Krueger.

The pall bearers were: Roland Krueger, Harold Marks, Arnold Lickfett, Edwin Volinkaty, Herbert Spiering and Leonard Schroeck.

Rest, weary one, awhile,
Till Christ shall bid thee rise.
Asleep in Jesus! blessed sleep,
From which none ever wakes to weep;
A calm and undisturbed repose,
Unbroken by the last of foes.
Asleep in Jesus! Oh, how sweet
To be for such a slumber meet;
With hold confidence to sing
That death hath lost his venomed sting.
Asleep in Jesus! peaceful rest,
Whose waking is supremely blest;
No fear, no woe, shall dim that hour
That manifests the Savior's power
For me to live in Jesus, To die is gain for me,
To Him I gladly yield me,
And die right cheerfully.

Lindgren, Gust
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Nov. 10, 1932, page 1; submitted by rll.

Gust Lindgren, 68, of Galesburg, Ill., Caught Between Freight Cars at Galva, Ill.
(Galesburg Press)
Galva, Oct. 22.-Gust Lindgren, 68, of Galesburg, was killed last night while trying to cross the "Q" tracks between two cars, while the eastbound freight was switching.

He was a former resident of Galva and had been visiting since Tuesday at the home of Oscar Gyllling. He announced that he thought he would go over to the Foursquare church for service Friday night. When he approached the railway crossing just south of the water works, the train was switching and he tried to cross the tracks between two cars, but was caught and carried some 30 to 40 feet east of the crossing where his body was found by two Mexican youths who were waiting in their car until the train was across the crossing. They immediately notified Mort Swanson, night policeman, and the body was taken to the Johnson undertaking parlors where later in the evening an inquest was held.

Mr. Lindgren was born in Sweden. He was united in marriage with the daughter of the late Mrs. Anna Sundberg of Galva, residing on the Mrs. Sundberg fram about six miles west of Galva, leaving there some twenty years ago going to Winthrop, Minnesota, moving back to Galva and remaining here until about five or six years ago then moving to Galesburg where he is survived by his wife and three daughters; another daughter survives in Ottawa and a son in Winthrop, Minn.

He was a brother-in-law of Joe Sundberg, and Charles Sall of Galva, of Claud Nichols residing west of Galva, of Charles Ostrom, also residing west of Galva, of Walter and August Sundberg and of Charles Johnson of Galesburg.

Luehring, Henry Sr., 
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Nov. 10, 1932, page 5; submitted by rll.

(Gazette, November 5th)
Henry Luehring, Sr., one of Moltke township's aged and most highly esteemed residents, died at his home there last Saturday forenoon at 10:15 o'clock following a six months illness with cancer of the stomach. For two months preceding his demise he was bedridden. At the time of his death he had attained the age of 73 years, 4 months and 24 days. The deceased was a native of the United States, being born at Hamburg on the 5th day of June, 1859, In the community of his birth he grew to manhood, receiving his education in the schools of that locality and in his early youth he was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith. On February 9th, in the year of 1883, he was united in marriage to Miss Pauline Fahrwald and this union were born 9 children-5 sons and 4 daughters- eight of whom survive. One daughter died at the age of 16 years. His wife preceded him to the grave 23 years ago in 1909. The surviving children are John and Herman, of Moltke, the former resident on the old home farm; William, of this village; Fred, Mrs. Alfred Hoefer and Mrs. Fred Stoeckmann, of Glencoe; Mrs. Henry Ahlbrecht, of Severance, and Henry, Jr., of Sanborn. Twenty-Two grandchildren also survive. Following his marriage, which was solemnized at Hamburg, Mr. Luehring, he came to this village, locating in Moltke where he had continually resided ever since. During his almost half a century of residence in this locality Mr. Luehrig was numbered among our most progressive and influential tillers of the soil, and thru his congenial spirit and upright traits of character he gained the confidence and respect of all who enjoyed his acquaintance.

Lundholm, Judith
Souce: Winthrop News, April 5, 1923, page 1 (Winthrop, MN), contributed by rll

Beloved Young Lady Called Beyond

Miss Judith Lundholm Dies After Lingering Illness. Funeral Services Held Tuesday. Died, at her home in South Winthrop, Miss Judith Marie Lundholm, Thursday, march 29th, at the hour of 2:30 p.m.

This was the sad news which cast a shadow over the whole community, for her entire life was spent among us, and every heart was touched with sympathy for the stricken ones, from whose fireside the light had fled.

Cause of her untimely death was pneumonia. She contracted this disease last September. She was taken sick on the 29th day of that month and fought the brave fight against the attendant ravages of the disease only to be claimed by the Angle of death six months to a day following her first illness. The constant attention of tender care and the skill of the physicians were tendered, but all to no avail.

Judith Marie Lundholm, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. O.L Lundholm of South Winthrop, was born in this city on October 4th, 1899, being 28 years, 5 months and 25 days of age, at the time of her death. She spent her entire life in this city. She was a member of the 1918 graduating class of the Winthrop high school and since her graduation had given over much of her time teaching and for a time was employed as stenographer in Minneapolis.

Her future was full of promise, and it is indeed sad to chronicle the fact that she was taken from us in her prime. She lived a consecrated Christian life and in the home community where she was born and reared she was held in high admiration by her many near and dear friends. And as she stood at the half-open door that leads into a fairer and more promising land of dreams and flowers, and, as she would have entered a messenger came up and said: "Come this way. It is best." She is survived by her sorrowing parents, Mr. and Mrs. O.L. Lundholm and sister, Helen, of Winthrop, and three brothers, Herman E. and Chester E. of Superior, Wisc., and Sigfrid L. of Hanley Falls.

The funeral services were held from the Swedish Lutheran church in this city Tuesday afternoon following the devotional at the home which took place at 2:00 p.m. Rev. A.F. Lundquist officiated. The church was taxed to its utmost seating capacity by those who had come to pay their last respects to his beloved young lady. Burial was made in the Winthrop cemetery. The bier was banked with many beautiful floral offerings.

The flower girls were: Mrs. Beebe, Judith Erickson, Edith Olson, Laura Olson, Margaret Lockerby and Effie Becklund.

Pall bearers were: Helmer Lind, Clarence Lind, Carl Olson, Clifford Nord, Freemont Malm and Russell Peterson.

Mansfield, Mrs. Fredericka
Source: Winthrop News, June 14, 1923, page 1 (Winthrop, MN); contributed by rll

Mrs. Fredericka Mansfield, former resident of this village for many years, passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Caroline Miller, of St. Paul, on Tuesday, June 5th, at the advanced age of 86 years. Mrs. Mansfield has been in feeble health for some time. She has resided in St. Paul for a number of years. Her daughter Mrs. Miller of St. Paul and Frank F. Mansfield of Red Wing, are the surviving children, and her brother Mr. Fred Fiss of this place, as well as a host of old time friends here, mourn her passing. The remains were brought here yesterday to the Fiss home, and services were held at Immanuel Lutheran church in the afternoon, Rev. Gade officiating.

McClosky, Ann

The Irish Standard (Minneapolis, MN), January 9, 1904, page 2, rll

Faxon, Minn.-At the ripe age of 90 years, Mrs. Ann McClosky passed away Wednesday, December 23d, 1903. Her illness was of a week's duration, and old age can be said to be the cause of her death. Deceased was born in Ireland and came to this country about twenty-five years ago, making her home in Faxon township, where she has since resided. She was an estimable old lady, and much respected. She leaves four sons and one daughter: Chas., who is in the Klondike; Jos., who is in Washington; Thos., William and Miss Ellen, of Faxon. The funeral took place from the Catholic church at Assumption on Christmas day, and was largely attended.

Meffert, William
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Dec. 21, 1922, page 6; submitted by rll.

Arlington Boy Accidentally Killed While Hunting Squirrels.
Gun in Hands of Boy Companion Accidentally Discharged. Shot Penetrates Heart.

A very sad accident, which resulted in the death of William, Eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Meffert, occurred near their home three miles southeast of Arlington Sunday afternoon at about four o'clock. The youth was accidentally shot by his friend and chum, David Gorr, whose shot gun was accidentally discharged while the boys were walking across the meadow on the H. Rischmiller farm, occupied by the Gorr family, homeward bound after an afternoon spent hunting squirrels.

The boys were accompanied by their two youngest brothers, who were following along behind and witnessed the accident. William and David were several steps apart, and each carried a gun in the hollow of his arm. It is surmised that the trigger on David's gun was cocked and released thru friction on his coat while carried in his arm. The shot passed thru the left arm and entered the heart, causing the immediate death of the youth. The Gorr boys immediately called their father who summoned medical aid and took the unfortunate boy to his home. Dr. Olson, county coroner, was summoned, and held an inquest, which developed the facts as stated above, the case being purely accidental.

Deceased was born in Arlington township, on January 16th, 1908, reaching the age of 14 years, 10 months and 24 days. Besides his parents he is survived by several sisters and brothers. He was a dutiful and loving son and brother, and his sudden death is an almost unbearable blow to his family. To them is extended the most heartfelt sympathy of their many friends and the community in general.

The remains were laid to rest in the family lot in the cemetery adjoining St. John's church in Arlington township Wednesday, with services at the church at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. The funeral was largely attended.-Enterprise.

Nelson, Mrs. A. E.
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Tuesday, April 9, 1912; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

As Hotel Orchestra Plays "In the Shadows," Death Claims Mrs. Nelson of Minneapolis.

Minneapolis, April 8.-While the orchestra in the dining room of the West hotel was playing the final strain of "In the Shadows," Mrs. A. E. Nelson, wife of the cashier of the Union State bank, rested her head on the table and passed away a few minutes later, a victim of heart failure. Death came while Mrs. Nelson, her husband and two children, Jennie and Marcus, were enjoying Easter dinner last night at the hotel.

Mrs. Nelson was 40 years old and had lived in Minneapolis four years. Her home was at 1408 Park avenue. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson were married at Gibbon, Minn., where they had made their home before coming here.

No arrangements have yet been made for the funeral.

Mrs. Nelson's sudden death caused commotion among the guests in the dining room. There was an unusually large crowd of Easter family parties in the room at the time. All filed out solemnly and the room soon after was closed.

Doctors C. J. Ringnell and J. M. Lewis were called, but it was too late.

Nelson, Minnie
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Oct. 25, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Mrs. F.N. Nelson Dies Suddenly

News Came as Severe Shock to Her Many Friends Thruout This Entire community.

"Mrs. Nelson is dead," was the sad and unexpected news that spread about our little city Tuesday afternoon, which brought profound sorrow and occasioned a shock thruout the community which words fail to express.

Cause of her death was due to an acute attack of gall stones. The illness was of short duration. She complained of feeling ill Monday morning but her sickness gave rise to no cause of alarm until late that afternoon when her condition became suddenly grave. She became unconscious and failed to rally, the Death Angel claiming her life the following day Tuesday about 3:30 o'clock.

In her untimely, as well as unexpected death, the community suffers the loss of a good woman. She lead an exemplary life and her devotion to her home and active pursuits in religious and civic duties ere outstanding characteristics of her life's work.

None were more interested than she in the community's welfare and was ever ready and willing to assist in its attendant activities. In her sad and unexpected death the family circle is prostrated in grief over the loss of a devoted mother, and the community suffers the loss of one of its most beloved citizens.

Her age was 53 years, 2 months and 20 days. Her maiden name was Minnie Olson, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Erick Olson pioneer settlers of Bernadotte. Her birthplace was at the old homestead n Bernadotte.

In early life, after completing her education, she taught school for a few terms and on June 3, 1896 she was united in marriage to Mr. Fritchj of Nelson, the ceremony being solemnized at Minneapolis.

She then took up her residence at Winthrop, which had since been her home.

She leaves to mourn her sorrowing husband, a son, Vernon, who is engaged in the garage business with his father at Winthrop, two daughters, Gladys, a student at Parker College, Winnebago, and Francis at home. A son, Claire, is deceased, his death occurring July 27, 1917.

She is also survived by three sisters, Mrs. Theodare Ostrum of New Sweden, Mrs. Emma Lundin of Kingsburg, Cal., Mrs. Anna Wilson of Thief River Falls, Minn., and four brothers, Oscar and John E. of Bernadotte, Edwin of Winthrop, and Otto, of Alberta, Canada.

The deceased was an active member of the M.E. church at Winthrop, and was president of the ladies aid society at the time of death.

The funeral will be held next Sunday. Services will be held next Sunday. Services will be conducted at the home at 2:00 p.m. and from the Methodist church at 2:30 p.m. Rev. F.R. Barnes, of Delevan, formerly local pastor, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Winthrop cemetery.

O'Neil, Mrs. P. H.

The Irish Standard (Minneapolis, MN), September 20, 1913, page 8, rll

Green Isle, Minn. Died.-At her home in Washington Lake township, recently, Mrs. P. H. O'Neil, aged 42 years, after a lingering illness of over a year with consumption. All the care and love that skilled physicians and her nurse, Mrs. Sweeney, could devise and apply for her comfort and assistance were brought into play but the flat of Him who rules our incomings and outgoings had been issued and before the shades of evening were drawn the sufferer's spirit took its flight to that home the Christian believes is the fulfillment of the life everlasting. She ran the journey of her life in 42 years. It is a path marked with deeds of kindness and cheer. The funeral was held Sunday morning at the Jessenland Catholic church, Rev. Father Hannon officiating at the last sad rites. Her remains were taken to Le Sueur and laid beside her mother and three sisters. She leaves to mourn her demise a husband, father and sister who have the sympathy of the entire community.

Peever, Tom
Source: Aberdeen American SD (1 Jan. 1909) transcribed by FoFG MZ 

Sisseton, Dec. 31. - Tom Peever, owner of the Peever Mercantile company, one of the largest department stores in the state, died at his home here late last night. He had been ailing for some time, and all his relatives were at the bedside as his death was hourly expected. He was well known in Masonic circles and was a member of Aberdeen consistory No. 4. A special coach has been chartered, and a large number of friends and relatives will accompany the remains to Henderson, Minn., tomorrow, where internment will be made.

Peterson, Levin

Winthrop News (Winthrop, MN), May 23, 1923, page 3

The funeral of the late Levin Peterson, was conducted from the Otto Sommer home Tuesday afternoon, Rev. A.F. Lundquist officiating.  Mr. Peterson passed away at Felfridge, N. Dak., last Friday.  His unexpected death was caused by paralysis.  He lived but a few hours following the stroke.  He was born July 14th, 1862, being 60 years, 10 months and 3 days of age at the time of his demise.  His birthplace was Wing, Alfsberg, Ian, Sweden.  He came to America in 1885 and for a few years made his home in Winthrop.  For a number of years he has been residing in North Dakota, first locating at Herreid and later Felfridge.  He was a carpenter by trade and was well and favorably known to the older residents of Winthrop.  At the time of death he was completing a new city hall building at Felfridge.  He is survived by three brothers, John of Winthrop, Gustaf and Swen of Sweden and three sisters; Misses Anna and Clara Peterson of Sweden and Mrs. Christine Osterlund of Norway.  The remains were shipped to Winthrop for burial.  Interment was made in the Winthrop cemetery.  The pall bearers were:  Messrs. A.P. Lundstrom, Chas. Rudell, F.W. Lindquist, Chas. Samuelson, Andrew Lofgren and Chas Johnson.

Piehl, Bertha (Sommerfelt)

Winthrop News (Winthrop, MN) June 1, 1933, page 1, rll


Well Known McLeod County Resident Dies at the Age of Sixty-Six

Mrs. John H. Piehl, nee Bertha Sommerfelt, another of Gods Sainted pilgrims came to the end of her sojourn on earth on Sunday evening.

She was born Aug. 27, 1867 in Garbatkne Province, Posen Germany. She came to America in the years 1888 and stayed with her sister in Modora, N. D. The following year she was united in marriage to Mr. John Piehl, the Rev. A. Krienke read the marriage ceremony. The happy couple then moved on a farm near Brownton where they lived until the year 1920 , when they moved to Aitkin, Minnesota. April 1932 they returned to Brownton where they resided ever since. Mrs. Piehl had been ailing more or less for a number of years with high blood pressure, more so the last year and especially the last month.

Mrs. Piehl was converted in the year 1888 and also joined the Methodist Episcopal church under the ministry of Rev. Krienke. She remained a loyal and a consecrated member of the church. She  was a loving wife and kind mother. "Her children arise up to and call her blessed, her husband also, and he praises her. Prov. 31:28. She was a good neighbor and wore a smile that never seemed to wear off.

She will be missed by her faithful husband and companion and the seven children, Adolph of Hutchinson, Mrs. Emil Gehrke of Winthrop, Mrs. Herbert Fleisch and Mrs. Wm. Witte of Stewart. John and Edward Piehl of Hector and Lester Piehl of Winthrop, also 20 grandchildren besides a large circle of relatives and friends and acquaintances, three children preceded her in death, a little girl in infancy, and Cary and Freddie both died when they were 20 years old.

Funeral Services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at the home and the M. E. church with Rev. A. L. Gausmann officiating and he used as his text "Love Never Faileth" 1 cor. 13:8.

The male quartet sang "Walking With Thee My God," "No Disappointment in Heaven" and "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere."

The pall bearers were six grandchildren, they being Glen and Gordon Fleisch, Clarence Gehrke and Alvin, Harvey and Lawrence Piehl.

Interment was made in Oak Grove cemetery, Brownton, Minn.-Brownton Bulletin.

Plahn, Vernon
Source: Winthrop News (MN) June 28, 1923, page 6; submitted by rll.

The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. John Plahn of Transit, condole with them in the loss of their little son, Vernon, who passed away Monday, June 25th, at the hour of 11:30 p.m. His age was 6 years, 9 months and 7 days. He was ill about three weeks, first suffering an attack of measles followed by a complication of bronchial pneumonia. Funeral services will be conducted from the Frieden's church Friday at 2:30, preceded by services at the home at 2:00 p.m. Burial will be made in the Winthrop cemetery.

Plahn, Winfred
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Oct. 4, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Little Winfred Plahn Fatally Injured
Sad Accident Took Place at the Home of Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Plahn at Clayton, Wis.

The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Plahn thruout this community will regret to learn of the unfortunate accident which befell their little son, Winifred, 8 years of age, who was mortally injured by accidentally falling under wheels of an automobile.

The Plahn family made Winthrop their home for many years and of late years have resided at Clayton, Wis. It was at the family home where the sad accident took place.

Following communication has been received at this office:
Clayton, Wis., Sept. 29, 1923.

Mr. C. C. Eaton,
Winthrop, Minn.,
Dear Sir,

We are sending you a copy of the Clayton Advance giving an account of the death of our son and brother, Winfred, who met with an accident and passed away at the Lakeview hospital, Cumberland, Wis., a few hours later. The Masonic and Easters Star lodges surely render wonderful service during our bereavement. The floral offerings and funeral larger than ever before held in this vicinity.
Mr. and Mrs. F.W. Plahn, and children

(Clayton Advance)

An extremely sad accident occurred at the home of Mr. and Mrs. F.W. Plahn at 6:30 last Saturday evening when their son Winfred was so severely injured that he lived only a few hours.

Mr. Plahn (father of the deceased) was starting away from home in his car when he noticed something wrong with the steering apparatus, so stopped and was in the act of backing up when little Winfred and his brother Harold thought the car had stalled and were going to push to get the car started again, the little fellow slipped and fell under the wheel, rupturing his spleen from which he bled to death internally, he was taken to the hospital at Cumberland, but nothing could be done for him and he passed away at 12:15 Sunday morning.

Winfred Fred Plahn was born at Winthrop, Minn., April 28th, 1915, so was, at the time of his death, 8 years, 4 months and 26 days old. He was a bright little fellow, a general favorite with his playmates and at school was always at the head of the class. His was a disposition if left to mature would have developed into an ideal manhood, and his sudden death has cast a shadow over the entire community. Consolation can he had in the fact that his soul is now triumphant with his Creator whose will alone brot him into the world and whose will again called him into the fold.

The funeral was held at One o'clock at the home and two o'clock at the church, Wednesday Sept. 26. Services were conducted by Rev. J.C. Hoffman of New Richmond, after which the remains were laid to rest in the cemetery east of town.

Left to mourn the loss of a loving son and brother are his parents, three sisters, Lillian, of Minneapolis, Clara, and Evelyn, and four brothers Edward, Arthur, Harold, and Stanley, besides a large number of relatives.

The heartfelt sympathy of all goes out to the bereaved.

A precious one from us has gone,
   A voice we loved is stilled;
A place is vacant in our homes,
   Which never can be filled.
God in His Wisdom has recalled,
   The boon his love has given,
And through the body slumbers here,
   The soul is safe in Heaven.

A list of pallbearers and people out of town who attended the funeral of Winfred Plahn.

The pall bearers were: Russel Erickson, Freddie Mattson, Joe Galloway, Albert Zabel, George Heyer and Russel Larson.

Those who attended the funeral from out of town: Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Plahn of Spooner, Lillian Plahn and Mrs. G.E. Mandigo of Minneapolis, Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Seward and daughter Evelyn, Mr. and Mrs. S.A. Guschl, Mrs. Woodruf and son, Aug. Alfred and Frieda Erdman, Mrs. Otto Plahn of St. Paul, Mrs. Ed. Butler and son of Stillwater, F.C. Just of Winthrop, Minn., Rev. J.C. Hoffman of the Evangelical church New Richmond, and the Evangelical choir of Prairie Farm.

All the business places in Clayton closed during the services.

Podratz, Mahala
Source: Winthrop News (MN) March 15, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Mahala Podratz Laid To Rest
Had Been In Ill Health for Many Years. Funeral Services Held From Congregational Church.

This week we are again called upon to chronicle the passing of another of Winthrop's will known and highly respected citizens, in the loss of Mrs. Mahala Podratz, who passed away at her home in this city on Monday, March 5th, at the hour of 5:00 o'clock a.m.

Mrs. Podratz had been ailing for many years and heart failure is attributed as the direct cause of her demise. For the past three years she had been tenderly cared for by her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Chas. Podratz, who had been constantly administering to her needs. The evening preceding her death she listened to the reading of Scriptures, as was her usual custom, and gave no particular signs or warning that she was so near death's door. Death came peacefully and with but little, if any struggle.

Mahala Podratz (nee Lester) was born at Janesville, Wisconsin, October 18th, 1844, having attained the age of 78 years, 4 months and 17 days. She grew to womanhood in her native state and in 1866 she was united in marriage to Mr. Fred Podratz in Janesville. They continued their residence there until 1871 when they moved to New Auburn, Minn., and several years later moved to Hanley Falls, Minn. Here the deceased continued her home until 1893 when she moved to Winthrop Mr. Podratz being engaged in the grain business. His death occurred several years ago.

She is survived by an only daughter, Mrs. Alice Andrew of Excelsior, an only son, Chas. Podratz, is deceased. She is also mourned by three grandchildren, Mrs. H.H. Haight and Mrs. M.L. Harney of Minneapolis, and Mrs. F.L. White of Excelsior and her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Chas. Podratz.

In the death of Mrs. Podratz this community suffers the loss of one of its most beloved citizens. In her more active years she took great interest in various organizations and was a charter member of the Winthrop chapter O.E.S. and the G.A.R. Circle. She held responsible positions in both societies and was a past Worthy Matron of the O.E.S. Chapter. Both of these organizations were present in a body to pay their respects to the departed Sister.

Funeral services were conducted on Wednesday of last week at the home at 2:00 and from the Union congregational church at 2:30, Rev. Chas. Schofield officiating. Burial was made in the family lot in the Winthrop cemetery. The floral offerings were many and beautiful.

The pall bearers were: Messrs. C.A. Schilling, Henry Lickfett, Wm. Klossner, H.C. Stresemann, F.J. Schisler and Wm. Albrecht.

Present from out of town at the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Haight and Mr. and Mrs. M.L. Harney of Minneapolis, and Mr. and Mrs. F.L. White of Excelsior.

Redtman, Ernest and Redtman, Richard
Source: Winthrop News (MN) March 29, 1923, page 3; submitted by rll.

Mrs. George Harter has received word from Pierson, Manitoba, Canada, that her brother-in-law, Ernest Redtman died February 28th, and his son, Richard, passed away on Saturday, March 24th. Mr. Redtman formerly lived near Gibbon.

Schlachlenhaufen, Traubott
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Oct. 25, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Young Student Accidently Killed
Traubott Schlachlenhaufen of Sibley Township, Victim of Sad Accident While Hunting

A most distressing and sad accident occurred last Thursday, when Traubott, 22 years of age, son of Rev. and Mrs. Ed. Schlachlenhaufen of Sibley township, was mortally injured by the accidental discharge of a shot gun.

The victim of the tragedy, in company with his father and brothers were enjoying a squirrel hunt in the near-by woods. The elderly gentleman was attempting to manipulate the fire arm and in some manner the gun accidently discharged. The discharge struck Traubott, who was standing by a short distance away and in line with the deadly shot.

The discharge entered his abdomen inflicting mortal injury. despite the fact that medical aid was hurriedly summoned the young man lived but two hours following the sad mishap.

Traubott Schlachlenhaufen was a young man of sterling character and had a most promising future and in his sad and unexpected death the family is prostrated with grief. The many friends of the family, when learning of the accident, were shocked beyond expression.

The young man was a student of the seminary at St. Paul which he had been attending for the past seven years and would soon have been able to follow in the footsteps of his father as a minister of the Gospel.

The funeral was held from the Sibley Lutheran church last Sunday and an unusual large number were present at the obsequies.

Pastors officiating were: Rev's Geo. Diemer of Round Grove, Wm. Striepe of Bismark, and Dr. Doerman of St. Paul.

A student body of twenty members of the St. Paul seminary also attended.

Schlueter, Mrs. August
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Oct. 18, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Dies at Age 94 Years.
The Louis Schlueter family attended the funeral of Mr. Schlueter's grandmother, Mrs. August Schlueter, at Gaylord, Saturday. She passed away Thursday, Oct. 11th, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Abraham of Alfsborg, at the ripe old age of 94 years. Pneumonia was the cause of her demise.

Schuett, Wilhelmina
Source: Winthrop News (MN) April 12, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Mrs. Ludwig Schuett Called Beyond
Old Age Claims Life of Another Pioneer Resident of Transit Twp.

Funeral Held Monday.
Mrs. Ludwig Schuett passed away at the hour of 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 5th, at the old home farm in Transit, Which has been operated by her son, Herman F. Schuett for a number of years, and where the deceased had continued to make her home.

Cause of her demise was old age. She had lived to enjoy the ripe old age of 81 years and 7 months. Her death witnesses the passing of another of Transit’s old and highly respected pioneer settlers.

Wilhelmina Schuett (Nee Gruenwald) was born in Germany September 5, 1841, where she grew to womanhood. Her first marriage took place in her native land to Mr. Carl Leto. Shortly following her marriage she and husband immigrated to America and came directly westward to Sibley County, Minn., taking up their residence in Transit Township.

A few years after their arrival to his country her husband passed away and later her marriage to Mr. Ludwig Schuett was solemnized. He passed away February 16th, 1909.

She is survived by two children of her first marriage, Lena, Mrs. Albert Haas of Transit and Gusta, Mrs. Aug. Ellig of New Auburn, and three children by her second marriage, Albert Schuett of Transit and Bertha, Mrs. John Borchert of Winthrop.

During her many years of residence in this community the deceased had gained the acquaintance of a large circle of neighbors and friends and was a woman held in the highest esteem by all who knew her. She was a devout Christian and for years was an active member of the Mountville German Lutheran church. It was from this house of worship that the funeral was held last Monday. Burial was made in the church cemetery.
(Mountville German Lutheran Church of Mountville cemetery)

Steffer, Johann
Source: Provided by a family member; submitted by rll

Obituary of Johann Steffer
From the German Script
Father Johann Steffer was born April 17, 1818 near Vandenburg Province, West Prussia, Germany, and died as we believe, saved, May 16, 1899 in his home in Green Isle Township, Minn. In Sibley County. Father Steffer was never really ill during his life time until dropsy began to develop a few weeks ago, which was the cause of his death. In 1850 he married Louise Bleck. This union was blessed with 10 children, seven sons and three daughters, with their mother mourn this untimely death. One son, Rev. J.G. Steffer in a Methodist pastor and a member of the Methodist conference.

In 1869, Father Steffer and his family came to American and made their home in this vicinity. (Green Isle Township, Sibley Co, Mn.) Soon after settling here, the family became acquainted with the Methodist Church and invited Rev. Phil. Funk and W. Breitkreutz to preach in their home. This was the beginning of the green Isle Township Congregation.

The deceased loved God and the church. He had a quiet, gentle disposition was peaceable and peace-loving. He is survived by his widow and children, six daughter-in-laws, 11 grandchildren, besides a host of relatives and friends.
A. Biebighauser.
This was typed as written except for spelling corrections.
Steffer, Louisa
This obituary was provided by Steffer family.

Mrs. Louise Steffer, mother of Henry Steffer, of Green Isle Township, died Tuesday afternoon. Jan. 27, after having been in poor health for some time. The funeral will take place Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock from the house and at 2 o'clock from the German Methodist church, three miles north of Arlington. Mrs. Steffer was one of the founders of the congregation, and its first member when this church was built over 30 years ago. She would have been 79 years old in June. Her husband, John Steffer, died 14 years ago. They were some of the early settlers in Sibley County and made a large number of friend. Mrs. Steffer made her home with her son, Henry, on the old homestead. Her daughter, Hulda, was with her for some time during her prolonged illness. The other children who survive her are: Mrs. Otto Joel, Frederick, John Michael, Gottlieb, and Louis Steffer.-Arlington Enterprise.

Swenson, W.A.
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Oct. 25, 1923, page 1; submitted by rll.

Paralysis Claims Cornish Resident
W.A. Swenson Suffers Paralytic Stroke From Which he Fails to Rally. Funeral Held Tuesday.

The uncertainty of death is again revealed in the sudden passing of W.A. Swenson, one of the well known and substantial farmers of Cornish township.

The cause of his death was paralysis. He was taken with the stroke on the morning of Monday, October 15, and a few hours following sank into unconsciousness and remained in a state of coma for five lingering days, up to the following Friday, when he passed to the great Beyond at the hour of 5:30 a.m.

Up to the time of the illness which cost him his life, Mr. Swenson had enjoyed splendid health and his sudden death came as a sad shock to the family circle and friends alike.

Wilhelm Alfred Swenson was born in Tutaryd, Kroneborgs Lan, Sweden, October 29th, 1871. His age was 51 years, 11 months and 20 days.

He was proceeded to America, first by a brother and two sisters in 1879, who were followed by the father and a brother in 1881 and the following year 1882 Mr. Swenson was one of three children who immigrated to America with the mother.

The family took up their residence on a homestead in Cornish township, Sibley county, and it was here he grew to manhood. November 24th, 1894 he was united in marriage to Miss Ida Charlotte Swanson. This union was blessed with ten children. Edith, the first born died in infancy.

The children left to mourn his loss besides the sorrowing wife are: Arthur, Alice, John, Clarence, Agnes, David, Harry, Carl and Ruth all at home.

He is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. Amanda Mauss of Superior, Wis., and Mrs. George Carlson of Troy, Idaho, and a brother F.O. Swenson of Cornish, the latter residing on the old homestead.

Following his marriage to Mr. Swenson moved onto the farm adjoining the old homestead, which he later purchased and which had since been his home.

He was a gentleman of sterling character and who had gained a wide circle of near and dear friends. He was confirmed in the Clear Lake Lutheran church and at the time of death was a member of the Board of Trustees of that house of worship.

The funeral was held from the home Tuesday at the hour of 2:00 o'clock and the Clear Lake Lutheran Church at 2:300. Rev. Ternberg officiated. Burial was made in the church cemetery.

Thomes, Nick
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Dec. 21, 1922, page 3; submitted by rll.

Nick Thomes, prominent and well known businessman of Arlington for many years, passed away at the home in this village last Friday evening, Dec. 8th at the age of 63 years, 3 months and 7 days. Mr. Thomes was taken seriously ill with complications resulting from diabetes about four day previous ot his death and sank rapidly. About two years ago Mr. Thomes was first afflicted with diabetes and was confined to his bed for six months but careful nursing and excellent medical attention brought about a great improvement, and for the past year he was able to be around again as usual. His last illness came as about stated, and he passed peacefully away surrounded by those near and dear to him.
Arlington Enterprise.

Weckworth, Lena
Source: Winthrop News (Winthrop, MN) June 7, 1923, page 3; submitted by rlle

Lena, second eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Weckworth of New Rome, died at her home on Friday, June 1st, at the hour of 9:00 a.m. Her death came unexpectedly. She was taken critically ill with pleurisy and complications and lived but a few hours. Her untimely and sad death came as a severe shock to the family circle and friends alike. She was born April 29th, 1909 and was 14 years, 1 month and 2 days of age at the time of her demise. She was confirmed on 25th of last March. She is survived by her sorrowing parents, two sisters, and a brother. The funeral was held Monday from the home followed by services at the German Lutheran church in Arlington Township. Burial was made in Weckworth cemetery at New Rome. The funeral was largely attended. Present from Winthrop were: Mr. and Mrs. Albert Gutknecht and son, Geo., and Mrs. Wm. Krueger.

Witt, Louise
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Nov. 10, 1932, page 2; submitted by rll.

Mrs. August Witt Stricken at Her Home in This City Last Friday

Mrs. August Witt, a pioneer resident of this community, passed away at her home in this city on Friday, November 4th after a lingering illness, at the age of 73 years, 3 months and 16 days. News of her demise was received with regret by her wide circle of friends.

Louise Witt (nee Schultz) was born in Rippon, Wisconsin, July 19, 1859. Her mother died when she was in her tender years. She, in company with her father, two sisters and a brother moved to Rochester, Minnesota, where they made their home for two years. The family then moved to Sibley county and located on a farm in Bismark township. Here the subject of this sketch grew to woman hood and in 1880 she was united in marriage to Mr. August Witt. They made their home on their Bismark farm for 32 years and then moved to Winthrop, her residence in this city covering a period of 20 years.

She is survived by her sorrowing husband and five children, Ed. Witt of Winthrop, Martha, Mrs. Herman Schultz of Transit, Herman and Albert Witt of Bismark, and Louise, Mrs. John Redmann of Winthrop. Two children died in infancy and a daughter passed away in 1919. There are 29 grandchildren and one great grandchild.

The deceased was a woman of staunch christian faith, and was regarded highly by all who enjoyed the pleasure of her acquaintance. In her loss the family circle is bereft of a beloved wife and mother and her many close friends will miss her genuine neighborliness and companionship.

The funeral services were held from the Frieden's church at Winthrop last Monday afternoon. Rev. Roesch, the pastor, and Rev. Urich of Gaylord, officiated. Burial was made in the Winthrop cemetery.

The pall bearers were: Messrs. San and Henry Bubolz, Bennie and Clarence Schultz, Edward Witt and Melvin Witt.

Friends from a distance who attended the funeral were: Mrs. John Abraham of Minneapolis, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Sommers, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Schultz, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Kiecker, Mr.and Mrs. Herman Kuester, all of Fairfax; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Schultz, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Zell, Carl Zell, Mr. and Mrs. Ben Shultz, and Mr. and Mrs. Paul Beich, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Beich and Mr. and Mrs. Louis Beich all of Stewart; Mr. and Mrs. Herman Gatzke of Glencoe, Mr. and Mrs. Hugo Renner of Brownton, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Uecker and Albert Sommer of Gaylord, and Mr. and Mrs. Emil Witt and Mrs. Bertha Gatzke and sons of New Ulm.

Woods Infant
Source: Winthrop News, Sept. 13, 1923, page 3 (Winthrop, MN); submitted by rll.

To many friends of Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Woods condole with them in the loss of their infant child born on Wednesday, August 29th, the child answered death's call at birth. Funeral services were conducted at the home the following Thursday, Rev. F. R. Barnes officiating. Burial was made in the Winthrop cemetery.

Sibley County Home Page

Visit our National Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails