Stearns County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Local People

A. J. Cleveland
Source: Emporia Gazette (Emporia, KS) Tuesday, November 8, 1904; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Division Foreman A. J. Cleveland, of the Cottonwood division, between Emporia and Newton, has resigned his office here and will go to Melrose, Minn., where he will work for the Chicago & Northwestern railroad. Mr. Cleveland came here from Wisconsin about a year ago as successor of A. P. Goodhue. It is not yet know who will succeed him as division foreman here.

W. T. Collins
Source: The St. Cloud Journal (MN) Dec. 26, 1867, page 3; submitted by Robin Line.
Gone To Washington.-On Sabbath last Dr. W.T. Collins started for Washington to enter upon his duties as Assistant Doorkeeper to the House of Representatives, quite a lucrative position. The Dr. will be absent about two months.

John Cooper
Source: The Duluth Herald, Saturday Evening, Oct. 22, 1910.

Hauls cream in Auto
Sauk Center, Minn., Oct. 22 - (Special to The Herald) John Cooper, a farmer living at Little Sauk, north of here, is hauling his cream to the creamery in an auto and says the method is both profitable and expeditious. With an auto he can make the round trip to the creamery in an hour and a half, while with a team it required three-quarters of the day to make the trip.

George B. Dodd

C. M. Truesdell
Source: History of Stearns County, Minnesota, Volume 1, by William Bell Mitchell, Chicago, 1915; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Drs. George B. Dodd and C. M. Truesdell came to St. Cloud from River Falls, Wis., in 1887. They dissolved partnership in 1888. Dr. Dodd assumed his partner´┐Żs practice and continued for a while in the same office, but left St. Cloud during the same year.

Joseph Fadden
[Source: The Hastings Conserver (MN) Tuesday, November 6, 1866; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]
From The St. Cloud Journal, 1st.
Joseph Fadden, living on the east side of the river, has just gathered from one and a half acres of ground five hundred and fifty bushels of rutabagas. We can believe this, as we got several bushels of them and took them by the count, seven for a big half bushel.

Anthony Faucett
[Source: The St. Cloud Journal (MN) Dec. 19, 1867, page 3; submitted by Robin Line]
That Saw Blade.-Anthony Faucett desires us to state that the fellow who stole his saw blade can have the frame by calling at Weary's wagon-shop. Any creature mean enough to steal "Uncle Anthony's" saw is beyond redemption.

Anthony Faucett
[Source: The St. Cloud Journal (MN) Dec. 19, 1867, page 3; submitted by Robin Line]
That Saw Blade.-Anthony Faucett desires us to state that the fellow who stole his saw blade can have the frame by calling at Weary's wagon-shop. Any creature mean enough to steal "Uncle Anthony's" saw is beyond redemption.

L. W. Harding
Source: Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis, MN) Thursday, May 21, 1896; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Melrose, Minn.-L. W. Harding, a sign painter, drunk several days, attempted suicide this afternoon by strychnine.

Scott Hill
[Source: Evansville Courier and Press (IN) Saturday, March 15, 1890; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]

SCOTT HILL, a negro who has a farm at Maine Prairie, Stearns county, Minnesota claims that he is the victim of a "race war" on a small scale, and that his home, which was burned some time ago was set on fire by his neighbors.

William E. Lee
Source: Saint Paul Globe (MN) May 11, 1896

Special to the Globe.
NEW PAYNESVILLE, Minn., May 10.-William E. Lee, who now registers from St. Cloud, came into town last night and has today practically put this vicinity into his inside vest pocket. The sentiment of the community was in no way crystallized for any of the candidates, and his generous, business-like way has caught the people. He left for the cities this afternoon.

Asa Libbey
Source: Daily Herald (Biloxi, MS) Dec. 2, 1899

Captain Libbey Recalls His Experiences As Hangman for Thirty-Eight Indians In Minnesota.

There resides in St. Cloud, Minn., a man, now 74 years old, who more than a third of a century ago officiated at one of the largest legal executions this country has ever known. It is Capt. Asa Libbey, and in December of 1862, when a captain in the volunteer army of the United States, he acted as hangman for 38 Sioux Indians at Mankato, Minn.

This wholesale hanging of Indians was the climax to the Indian war of 1862, in which so many women and children of the scattered settlements of Minnesota were massacred by the Sioux. Capt. Libbey tells the story of that historic day and of his connection with it as follows:

"In the first place," said the aged soldier, "I have mighty little sympathy for the Indians, for my experience in living among them for 45 years, a witness of their fiendish deviltry and the horror and atrocity of their methods of warfare, leaves mighty little room for sentiment.

"I had organized a company for service in the civil war - company I, of the Seventh Minnesota infantry - of which I was captain. Just before the outbreak the company was at Chippewa agency en route for St. Paul to be mustered into the service of the United States.

"On orders from Col. H. H. Sibley, then in command of the Minnesota forces, my company proceeded to Mankato, to assist in and do guard duty at the execution. Having been a builder, by services of course were needed at Mankato in helping to build the scaffold. This was quite a crude arrangement, simple, yet ingenious and effective. The scaffold was 16 feet square, with a platform on each of the four sides 3 1/2 feet wide and eight or ten feet from the ground. There was no flooring over the middle space. A heavy post placed in the ground extended above the platform through this open space, which held the ropes and rigging that supported the trap on the four sides of the platform on which the victims stood while preparing for execution. It was so arranged that by the cutting of a single rope all of the four sides dropped at the same instant.

"I shall never forget the day of the execution. It was very clear and bright, the round void of snow, but cold - a typical Minnesota winter's day. About 400 Indians were confined in a log jail and stockade which stood a short distance from where the scaffold was erected. All of the preliminary details having been arranged, two lines of soldiers on each side of the square were drawn up on guard, while a detachment marched the Indians from the jail to the scaffold. The savages came out exhibiting great bravado, each one with a pipe in his mouth, their arms pinioned in such a way as to give them the use of their hands. They ascended the scaffold by the steps shown in the picture, and each was placed in position under the dangling ropes.

"From the time the Indians were marched out of the jail and onto the scaffold they kept up a continual whooping and danced about to show those left in the stockade how brave they were and how little they feared death. This scene was visible from the prison through chinks in the logs, and through every available opening a pair of glittering eyes looked out upon the strange sight.

"I was the last man on the scaffold and it was my duty to adjust the noose so that the knot would come directly under the left ear of each Indian. This was considerable of a task, because of the continued yelling and dancing which was kept up to the very last. I had been around once making the adjustment as described, only to find on looking around that this work had to be done all over again, and went around the second and third time.

"A citizen by the name of Hewlett, whose wife had been carried off by the Indians in one of their marauding raids, had begged of the commander to be permitted, as a special favor, to cut the rope that sprung the drop. He was the blackest white man I ever saw. When I first saw him I made up my mind that he was a fellow without any nerve, and I had my doubts whether he would be able to perform this duty when the final set had to be accomplished. Among other arrangements made by the commander to have everything pass off smoothly, it was understood that the rope was to be cut at the beat of a bass drum. I looked at Hewlett, before giving the signal which was to notify the drummer that everything was ready, and said to him: 'get ready there, my man,' and he turned upon me a face as gray as ashes and his knees knocked together with an audible sound. He stood just under one corner of the scaffold, with uplifted ax; I waved my hand as a signal that all was ready, the drum beat and Hewlett in his desperation drove the ax into the post to the pole, missing the rope fully four inches. The slightest touch with the sharp edge of the ax on the rope drawn so taut around this post, which was the sole support of the traps, and the great weight of 38 big men, was sufficient to part it and drop the traps. Instantly seeing Hewlett's condition, I ripped out an oath, which so frightened him that he drew the ax from the post, and in doing so accidentally touched the rope with its edge, which severed it, and the redskins had paid the penalty of their crime. So the rope was cut and the traps sprung by pure accident.

"The execution was eminently successful, as only one of the ropes broke, that being that of Shaska - a son of old Cut Nose, a very heavy man, weighing over 230 pounds. He was instantly drawn up the three or four soldiers, but as his neck was broken by the first fall, the second hanging was entirely superfluous. The doctors in attendance pronounced all of the Indians dead inside of 12 minutes.

"Several army wagons were immediately drawn up to the scaffold and the Indians cut down and loaded into them. The bodies were hauled a short distance to a sand bar running out to a point where the Minnesota river made a bend, and were buried in a trench which was about 50 feet long, but not very deep.

"Over 300 Indians were found guilty and sentenced, but the president ordered a reprieve and the balance were finally taken to Rock Island, Ill., where they were kept at the arsenal for awhile, and were later sent to Standing Rock and turned loose. I forgot to say that the execution took place about ten o'clock in the morning."

Capt. Asa Libbey was born at St. Stephens, N. B., January 4, 1826. He came west in 1854 and lived for a time in St. Paul.

He followed lumbering for some years, and was the first settler at Brockway, Stearns county. He was married in 1852. He raised a company of volunteers and enlisted in 1862, having been elected captain of his company. After the Indian troubles in Minnesota he went with his regiment to St. Louis, where he was engaged in provost duty with the army. Receiving a severe injury in a fall, which unfitted him for service, his resignation from the army was accepted in February, 1864.

Capt. Libbey was so familiar with the Indians and had lived among them so long that he spoke their language and probably had as wide an experience among these people as any man in the state.

J. J. Salfinger
- - - [Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review, Volume 37, 1898, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]
Minneapolis and St. Paul.
J. J. Salfinger, Melrose, Minn., last week moved into new and larger quarters.

- - - [Source: Hillsboro Independent (OR) May 3, 1907, submitted by Mary Kay Krogman]
Seven years ago the wife of J. J. Salfinger, of Melrose, Minnesota, died, and she was buried in the cemetery near that city. Last week her husband had the body removed to another lot. The body was found to have turned to solid stone, and it took eight men to raise it from the grave. The features were as natural as when interred excepting a part of the nose had disappeared. The body was perfect.

[Source: Mower County Transcript (Austin, MN) November 18, 1869; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]

The St. Cloud Journal learns from C. A. Gilman, Register of the land office that on Wednesday last, Mr. Shaw-vosh-kong, chief of the Lille Lac band of Chippewa Indians, came to the land office and took a homestead. [sic.] He has already a section of land, where their village was, near the mouth of Leech Lake, deeded him by the President. He wanted more land, and had the money to buy it, but as that portion is still unsurveyed, it was not in the market. He has lived there for over thirty years, and does not like to leave. He spoke no English but acted through an interpreter, and was the first full blooded Indian who ever took a homestead here. He was well dressed and seemed highly pleased with the homestead operation.

Andrew J. Smith
Source: Warren Sheaf (Jan. 5, 1881) submitted by fofg mb
Andrew J. Smith of Sauk Centre, shipped 3,000 lbs of venison to Cincinnati.

N. G. Weyrens
Source: The Duluth Herald (MN), Wednesday Evening, Oct. 26, 1910.
Minnesota Briefs. St. Cloud - A horse belonging to N. G. Weyrens, who lives on the St. Augusta road two miles south of the city, was shot and killed by a crowd of boy hunters Sunday afternoon. The bullet from a 22-caliber rifle entered the abdomen of the animal, which died soon after. The horse was valued at $150.

Stearns County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails