|Cemetery Name||Latitude||Longitude||Other Information|
|Aurora Lutheran Cemetery||440212N||0930631W|
|Aurora Township Cemetery||435900N||0930612W|
|Clark Family Cemetery||435110N||0931251W|
|Corpus Christi Catholic Cemetery||441001N||0932259W|
|Crane Creek Cemetery||440731N||0931825W|
|First Lutheran Cemetery||435143N||0931821W|
|Forest Hill Cemetery||440538N||0931308W|
|German Methodist Episcopal Cemetery||440028N||0930358W|
|Grand View Memorial Gardens||440737N||0931442W|
|Holy Trinity Cemetery||435706N||0931109W|
|Norwegian Lutheran Meraker Cemetery||440755N||0932048W|
|Oak Hill Cemetery||440831N||0931459W|
|Oak Mound Cemetery||435848N||0931448W|
|Pontoppidan Lutheran Cemtery||435855N||0932344W|
|Sacred Heart Cemetery||440343N||0931336W|
|Saint Ansgars Cemetery||435212N||0931317W|
|Saint John Cemetery||440544N||0931313W|
|Saint John's Lutheran Cemetery||440136N||0930353W|
|Saint Paul's Lutheran Cemetery||440306N||0932314W|
|Steele Center Cemetery||435935N||0931413W|
|Zion Lutheran Cemetery||435700N||0932045W|
Source: History of Rice and Steele Counties, Minnesota, Vol. II, Illustrated; Complied by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist
Forest Hill Cemetery. The first Owatonna cemetery was established near the present depot of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul and Northwestern railroad lines, and remained there until the coming of the railroads in 1866. The property was then taken for right-of-way, and the city purchased a suitable site, located west of the river and north of city, and immediately began the removal of the bodies. These grounds were used for cemetery purposes until 1872, during which year he city became the owner of the present site of the Forest Hill cemetery, arrangements being made with the recently organized Forest Hill Cemetery Association whereby the city became the owners of the property, but left its control and management with the association. The association consists of all citizens owning lots in the cemetery, and a board of directors is elected yearly who render detailed reports to the city at regular intervals and attend to the maintenance of the grounds. Seth Hotchkiss and L. Bixby were respectively president and secretary of the first board, and signed the deed conveying the property to the city. The members of the present board are as follows: Dr. A. C. Searl, president; H. Schmidt, secretary; George R. Kinyon, treasurer; A. L. Sperry, Harvey S. Dartt, and Guy B. Bennett. H. Schmidt ranks first in length of service, having been a member since 1880, and secretary since 1888.
G. W. Shaw was the first actuary, and after several years was succeeded by S. N. Sergant who held the office up to 1891. T. J. Rions were then chosen, and remained in charge until the first of July, 1908, when F. W. Adams, the present actuary, assumed office.
Forest Hill cemetery is located on Mineral Springs avenue, a fifteen-minute walk from the heart of the city. It contains thirty acres of land, and is one of the most naturally beautiful spots in the state, being well elevated above the surrounding country and thickly covered with native tress which have been judiciously thinned. Model driveways wind in and out through the grounds, and the well-kept grass and flowers add to the charming effect, a general air of quiet and peace prevailing, making a fitting resting place for those gone before. Besides the city vault, installed about 1890, there are eight private vaults, many of them of rich and costly design. In 1892, the actuary’s house was built, situated just east of the grounds. The cemetery is thoroughly up-to-date in all its appointments. A fifteen hundred foot, covered drainage ditch is being put in at present, and a new road leading to the cemetery will be added after its completion.
Sacred Heart Cemetery. Forty-two years ago, the present Sacred Heart cemetery was inaugurated, five acres of land, situated about a mile and a half south of Owatonna, being purchased from Frank Kubista. Five more have been added during the past year, and the installation of a vault in the near future seems certain. The property is in the name of the Right Reverend Bishop Heffren, of Winona, but Father Pivo of the Sacred Heart church, together with an executive committee, consisting of John Lynard, Thomas Cashman, Charles Ringhofer and Andrew Parolik, have the management. The well-kept grounds and graves enhance the natural beauty of the place.
German Lutheran. The Owatonna congregation came into ownership of its present cemetery consisting of three and a half acres, located directly north of the Forest Hill cemetery, May 1, 1901, the property being purchased from the Forest Hill Cemetery Association at a cost of $750. Much of this amount had been previously raised by the sale of lots. A fence and other improvements have entailed an expenditure of over $100. The cemetery is under the direction of a board of managers, consisting of Fred W. Tuerk, president; William Hammond, secretary; John Martin, treasurer; Carl Kaspri, Charles Finger, Louis Wilker and Louis Wobbrock.