Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore
BAHE Edward J, Hancock. Editor. Born May 8, 1870 in Faribault Minn, son of Conrad and Mary (Thurnau) Bahe. Married Feb6, 1899 to Mabelle V Thayer. Educated in graded and high schools Faribault. Learned printing trade in office of Faribault Republican 1885-90; of firm of Wright & Bahe publishers of Springfield (Minn) Advance 1891-93; foreman Albert Lea Evening Tribune 1898-99; established Hancock (Minn) Record of 1899 and has published same to date. Sec Hancock Realty Co; Judge of probate Stevens county 1903-1907.
George W. Beise
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill
BEISE George W, Morris. Lawyer. Born May 10, 1875 in Mapleton Minn, son of August and Sophia (Lauder) Beise. Graduated from Mankato High School 1896; special course in history and political economy Cornell N Y Univ; studied law with Pfau & Pfau Mankato. Admitted to bar 1899; practiced in Wells until 1900; practicing in Morris 1900 to date. County atty Stevens county 1906 to date. Sec Morris Library Board.
William Clarence Bicknell
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan
William Clarence Bicknell is a lawyer practicing his profession at Morris, Minnesota. He was born June 28, 1855, at Parishville, St. Lawrence County, New York. His parents were Carlos B. Bicknell and Louisa A. Carpenter (Bicknell.) They were farmers in comfortable circumstances. Zachary Bicknell and Agnes, his wife, the first of the name in this country, sailed from England in the spring of 1635, and landed that summer at Wessaguscus, now Weymouth, Massachusetts. They came with Rev. Joseph Hull and one hundred and one others from the counties of Somerset and Dorsett in southwest England. From these two have sprung a numerous progeny scattered over all parts of the country, but particularly in the New England states, New York and Pennsylvania. The Carpenters were also from New England, and originally supposed to have been of English birth. William Clarence lived on a farm and attended the country district school in the winter months, working on the farm during the summer, until sixteen years of age, when he entered the state normal school at Potsdam, New York, and in one year prepared himself for teaching. After that he worked his own way by teaching in winter and working on the farm in the summer until he graduated from the normal school in 1880. Three years later he began the study of law in the law department of the University of Michigan, where he was graduated in 1885 with a degree of LL. B. Having completed his legal studies, Mr. Bicknell came to Minnesota and located at Morris, and commenced the practice of his profession. He started out in very straightened financial circumstances, but he has adhered faithfully to his work and has succeeded in building up a satisfactory practice. In 1886 he was elected county superintendent of schools for Stevens County. He is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, a member of Golden Sheaf Lodge, of Morris and one of its Past blasters; a member of Mt. Lebanon Royal Arch Chapter and its present high priest; a member of Bethel Commandery, and its present captain general. He received his Masonic degrees at Minneapolis, and is a member of the order at that city; also a member of the Shrine at St. Paul. In politics he has always been a Republican, and is now county attorney of Stevens County, and serving his first term as such. He is an attendant, although not a member, of the Congregational church. He was married June 27, 1888, to Miss Nellie M. Finney, of Goodhue County. They have three children now living, Clarence W., Agnes L. and Ezra F. One child, Ira F. died December 30, 1893.
Calvin L. Brown
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson
BROWN Calvin L, Morris. Office State Capitol St Paul. Judge Supreme Court Minn. Born April 26, 1854 in Goshen N H, son of John H and Orrisa (Maxfield) Brown. Married Sept 1, 1879 to Annette Marlow. Educated in the schools of Minn. Admitted to the bar 1876; county atty Stevens county 1882-87; judge 16thjudicial dist 1887-98; Judge of supreme court 1898 to date. Member American and State Bar assns.; 32d deg Mason and Grand Master of Masons of Minn 1895-96.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks
EMERSON Carroll Colby, St Paul. Res Cherokee av, office 85 E 3d st. Merchant. Born Feb 4, 1850 at Hanover N H, son of Moses C and Sarah T (Freeman) Emerson. Married March 30, 1871 to Mary A Ingalls. Attended public schools in New Hampshire until 1869. In fruit and grocery trade at Lebanon N H 5 years; gen merchandising in Stevens county Minn 1878-88; whol fruit and produce trade in St Paul 1888 to date. Member St Paul Commercial Club.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks
FARNSWORTH Ezra, Minneapolis. Res 1414 Mt Curve av, office 436 Boston blk. Real estate. Born Jan 3, 1843 in Boston Mass, son of Ezra and Sarah M (Parker) Farnsworth. Married in 1870 to Leila F Newcomb. Educated in common and high schools. Employed in dry goods business until 1861; served in Civil War in 26th Mass Infantry 1861-65. Moved to New York and employed in dry goods business 1866-79; Stevens county Minn, on farm 1879-82; moved to Minneapolis and has been engaged in real estate business to date. Member G A R and Loyal Legion.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos
GROVE John, St Paul. Res 779 Dayton av, office 515 Pioneer Press bldg. Real estate. Born April 30, 1855 in Rockford Ill, son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Zabach) Grove. Married Aug 4, 1886 to Vine E Armitage. Educated in the public schools of Rockford and Charles City Ia. IN mercantile business at Algona Ia several years; real estate at Algona and other Iowa localities several years; real estate at Morris Minn 1896-97; membe John Grovo Land Co St Paul handling Minn lands 1898 to date. Member St Paul Commercial Club.
Edwin J. Jones
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal, 1897 - transcribed by AJ
Among the substantial business men of Morris is Edwin J. Jones, dealer in lumber, hardware, paints and other building materials. Mr. Jones was born August 22, 1858, at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, the son of Evan J. and Julia Ackerman Jones. His father was engaged in the lumber business, and Edwin was afforded such educational advantages as were provided by the common schools. After being employed by his father for a time as a bookkeeper in his wholesale lumber business in Winneconne, Wisconsin, Edwin came to Minnesota and located at Morris, in August, 1878, where he took charge of a lumber yard which his father had established there. In 1884 he bought out the business, and in 1895 added a complete hardware stock, which he handles in connection with his lumber trade. Mr. Jones has always been a Republican, and was elected by the Republicans state senator for the Forty-ninth Legislative District in 1894. He has also been drafted into the public service by his fellow townsmen, having served as village recorder in 1881 and 1882, and having been elected member of the city council in 1883. In 1884 he was president of the village. Mr. Jones' election to the legislature was a triumph. He received 700 majority over the fusion candidate, carrying every precinct in his own county. Mr. Jones is a Mason and belongs to the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Commandery, Minneapolis Consistory No. 2, and Zurah Temple, of Minneapolis. He has also held several important offices in these bodies. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the A. O. U. W. He is an attendant of the Congregational church, although not a member. May 29th, 1883, he was married to Nellie A. Butterfield, of Waupun, Wisconsin. They have one son, ten years old, Henry Butterfield Jones.
William James Munro
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan
William James Munro is a prominent business man of Morris, Minnesota. Like many successful Minnesota men he is a native of Canada. His father, Hugh Munro, was born in Rosshire, Scotland, but he left the land of his birth when a young man and went to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. He was superintendent of schools of that province for some years; later he was in the mercantile business at Sydney; while there was elected member of the House of Assembly of the Provincial Parliament. In this honorable position he served twelve years. His wife was Miss Hannah Croll, a native of Halifax, Nova Scotia. In 1860 Mr. Munro was made chairman of the Board of Public Works of Nova Scotia, and removed to Halifax, the capital. He held the position until the change of government in 1864. Two years later he removed to Boston, Massachusetts, and in 1873 came to Minnesota, locating first in St. Paul and afterwards, in 1876, at the town of Morris, where he resided until his death in 1886. Mrs. Munro died in 1878. W. J. Munro was born at Sydney, on June 1, 1850. He was educated at private schools at Sydney and Halifax, and graduated from the St. Johns Academy in the latter city. He came to Minnesota in 1872, and was first employed by the St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Company, in St. Paul. After a time he took charge of a grain elevator owned by the company and remained in that position until the fall of 1875, when he removed to Morris. At Morris he engaged in the grain business and has almost continuously been interested in that line ever since. He has, however, had many other important interests. During 1876 and 1877 he was in the hardware business with A. A. Stone, and in the latter year he purchased the Stevens County Tribune. He changed the name of the paper to the Morris Tribune and kept the editorial chair until 1882, when he sold out. Then, in company with H. H. Wells and others, he organized the Stevens County Bank, and was its cashier for twelve years. In 1894 he disposed of his interest in the bank and purchased the Morris Sun, which he now controls. Since 1890 he has been a member of the firm of House & Munro, dealers in agricultural implements. Since 1886 he has been a member of the firm of Wells, Pearce & Co., grain dealers. Mr. Munro is a member of the Republican party, and has taken an active interest in the local affairs. He has been called upon to serve his city as treasurer for four years, and he has held the office of mayor for four terms, the last three being in succession. Like most progressive business men he has become identified with various social and secret organizations, and he is past master and charter member of Golden Sheaf Lodge, No. 133, A. F. & A. M., a member of Mount Lebanon Chapter, No. 47, Royal Arch Masons, Past Eminent Commander Bethel Commandery, No. 19, Knights Templar. In 1875 Mr. Munro was married to Miss Mary A. Golcher, daughter of Wm. Golcher, of St. Paul. She died the following year. In April 1878, he was married to Miss Ida A. Stone, daughter of the Hon. H. W. Stone, of Stevens County. They have five children, Beatrice C, Hugh S., Ida Blanche, William J. and Katherine C. During his early life Mr. Munro had considerable experience at sea. He was for two summers on board of the Dominion revenue cutter "Daring." In 1866 he went to Harbor Grace. Newfoundland, and was for four years in the mercantile and shipping trade, during that time making several trips as supercargo.
Stevens County Home Page
Visit our National Site:
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails