Swift County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Biographies



Rev. S. Almklov
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
Rev. S. Almklov was born in 1850 in Norway. After leaving college and completing a course of studies, he was tutor in private families three years; in 1874 came to America; studied theology in Augsburg Seminary of Minneapolis and graduated in 1877; was ordained to the ministry of the Norwegian Danish Lutheran church and came at once to Benson; has charge of seven congregations. Married October 31, 1877, Sina Wadel; one child, Christian W., now deceased.


Abel Anderson
Source: History of the Scandinavians and Successful Scandinavians in the United States, Volumes I & II (1900) submitted by cd

Anderson, Abel, clergyman and educator—Montevideo —born 5 Dec, 1847, in Dane county. Wis. His mother's ancestors had been officers in the Norwegian army for several generations; in 1830 she married Bjorn Anderson, a farmer's son and a Quaker, but a marriage between the daughter of an officer and a farmer was in those days, and to a certain extent is yet, looked upon with great disfavor; besides, the young couple had not only sinned against the social rank, but, what was worse still, Anderson did not belong to the state church, the Lutheran. To avoid all social and religious unpleasantness, they emigrated to the U. S. in 1836; lived a year in Rochester, N. Y., and four years in Illinois; settled in Wisconsin in 1841, being therefore among the very earliest Scandinavian immigrants in this country. Abel Anderson, who is a brother to the well known Prof. R. B. Anderson, attended Albion Academy two years and the University of Wisconsin for a couple of years; graduated from Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, in 1872, and two years later completed his theological studies at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, Mo. From 1874-87 he had charge of a church belonging to the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Synod at Muskegon, Mich., being also school inspector for several years; took active part in politics; was a delegate to the Republican national convention which nominated Blaine for president in 1884, being one of the first Scandinavians in this country who was a delegate to a national convention of this party; was a candidate for representative to the state legislature twice, but his party being in the minority, was defeated both times. Anderson came to Appleton, Minn., in 1887, and settled in Montevideo the following year, having charge of churches at both places. He has been instructor in ancient and modem languages, in which he is considered to be quite proficient, at Windom Institute, and was one of its trustees. He has contributed frequently to the Chicago Tribune and other papers, both in the Norwegian and the English language. In 1874 he was married to Mary Olson, of Cambridge, Wis. Anderson has two brothers who are married to two of his wife's sisters. They have several children living, of whom two daughters have studied at Carleton College, Northfield, Minn.


Isaac Anderson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ANDERSON Isaac B, Benson. Public official. Born Mar 9, 1868 in Kjrkeide Stryn Norway, son of Anders Isaacson and Elizabeth (Ellingson) Anderson. Married Oct 16, 1899 to Bertha Bergee. Attended Swift Falls public school Benson High School and Willmar Seminary. Taught country schools 1885-97. Town clerk of Camp Lake 1889-1900; during same time held office of county comnr 5th dist 1892-96; county treas Swift county now serving the 4th term from 1900.


Thomas Beagan
Source: U.S. Census, 1905 Minnesota Census, IRAD Marriage records, online posting from the research of Paul J. McGough - Contributed by Maureen Buckley.
Thomas Beagan born in Ireland in 1845 came to America around 1870. He found work on the railroads which he followed westward to Minnesota. In 1876, he found himself working out of Joliet Illinois where he met Johanna Reardon born in Sussex, New Brunswick in 1840. They were married on Dec. 13, 1876.
They moved west to Minnesota in early 1877, and are recorded living in Kildare, Swift, Minnesota in census records for 1880, 1900, 1905 and 1910.
Thomas worked for James J. Hill's, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad, and arrived in Benson Minnesota in 1878. At that time the tracks ended in Benson, Minnesota. He help build the stone abutment for the railroad bridge across the Chippewa River at Benson. While working in Benson, he became aware of the Irish settlement Archbishop John Ireland was setting up in neighboring DeGraff. They decided to take up a homestead and settle near DeGraff. Thomas Beagan farmed the land they homesteaded, but he also continued his craft as a stonemason by building the dam at Swift Falls Minn. and helping build the stone railroad depot in Benson.


George D. Breed
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
George D. Breed, born September 29, 1847 is a native of New York. He attained an academical education and learned the printer's trade at which he worked until 1870. Since 1872 he has been a resident of Minnesota and in the employ of the St. Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba company as station agent at different points along their line; at present he is in charge of the station at Benson. He was married to Josephine McCollom; one son.


A. J. Carnihan
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
A. J. Carnihan was born April 13, 1838, in New Brunswick. In 1855 he came to Minnesota, and being an early settler he found employment in teaming and freighting to western points; this business was attended by great danger from the Indians; he has traveled extensively through the entire northwest. In 1870 he located permanently in Benson on a farm within the village limits; for a number of years has been county sheriff. Wilmina Kemper became his wife in 1870 and has four daughters.


G. L. Caster
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
KILDARE.
G. L. Caster, native of Germany, was born in 1840, and in 1856 settled in Shakopee, Minnesota; he clerked in a hardware store ten years, in the auditor's office three years; was in St. Paul in 1871-'72; traveled for his health, and in 1874 returned to Shakopee, and was again in the office of auditor; was book-keeper in Minneapolis till August, 1879, then engaged hi the hardware business at DeGraff, firm name of Caster & Pauly. In 1880 he married Angela Weyer, one child, Mary E.


Z. B. Clarke
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
Z. B. Clarke was born October 18, 1844, in Licking county, Ohio. In 1849 he accompanied his parents to Green county, Wisconsin, where his mother died; when ten years old he went alone to Olmsted county, Minnesota. He worked on a farm and as chore boy around a country store until 1861, when he enlisted in Company C, 3d Minnesota and served almost four years; from 1867 to 1879 was employed in a hardware store in Rochester, then went to Kansas; returned to this state and made a claim near the present village of Lac qui Parle; after living in a tent six months he drew lumber from Benson to commence building, and it was he who made the first traveled road between the two places. Mr. Clarke was in mercantile trade in the new town two years; after serving three years as clerk of the district court of Lac qui Parle county, he resigned. In 1874 he served in the state legislature, and the next year was enrolling clerk of the house; he was appointed by the governor to investigate the extent of grasshopper devastation. For a time he was in the hardware business in Benson, then become editor of the Benson Times and afterward founded the Advocate, but since 1878 has given his entire attention to the bank. Married, in 1872, Dora Eaton. Nellie F., Fred B. and Ziba B., Jr., are their children.


William Clint
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
KILDARE.
William Clint was born in county Down, Ireland, in 1836, and was raised on a farm; he was a sailor for twelve years; came to America and sailed the lakes as mate and captain. In 1871 he came to Minnesota and settled in Swift county in 1873; worked for the railroad company till 1876, then located on his farm; has been justice, and was made postmaster at De Graff in 1875, the first to receive the appointment. Married in 1857 Barbara McClemment, of Ireland; she died in 1868, and in 1870 he married Eliza O'Connor. Jane, James and William are children by first wife, and Eliza, Rosa, Edward and Richard by his present wife.


E. W. Conmy
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
KILDARE.
E. W. Conmy was born in county Sligo, Ireland, in 1854. He came to America in 1874, after graduating at Maynooth College hi philosophy and theology, and located at Anoka, Minnesota; visited New York and Montreal, and then-returned to Anoka county and taught school five years; came to De Graff in February, 1880; read law and was admitted to practice January 18, 1881, at St. Paul, and has since practiced here; is postmaster, and also in general merchandise business; is president of village council. February 10, 1880, he married Celina M. Parenteau, and has one child, Lucy B.


M. Cosgrove
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
M. Cosgrove, a native of Canada was born in 1840. He learned the trade of mill-wright and upon coming to Minnesota in 1866, located at St. Paul; two years later he removed to Mankato and continued working at his trade until 1870, at which time he took a homestead near Redwood Falls, where he did farming and carpentering until 1875. In 1877 he began dealing in agricultural implements at Benson; since March, 1879 he has dealt in furniture. His marriage took place in October 1869, with Margaret McDonald.


Clark P. Councilman
Source: Illustrated Album of Biography of Pope and Stevens Counties Minnesota (1888), transcribed by Cheri Sletten
Clark P. Councilman, one of the prominent and successful farmers in the southwestern part of Pope county, is a resident of section 3, Hoff township. He is a native of the State of New York, born March 4, 1829, and is a son of Henry and Lucy (Wilkinson) Councilman, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, respectively. His parents were married in New York State, and lived there until the time of their deaths. They were the parents of seven children, as follows - William, Clark P., Harmon, Elizabeth, Harried, Truman and Penbrook.

Clark P., our present subject received his education mostly in Broome county, New York, attending until he had reached the age of fifteen. He was then thrown upon his own resources, and for a number of years was engaged at various kinds of labor. In 1864, he removed to Michigan where he lived for eleven years, and then came to Minnesota, locating in Wabasha county, where he was engaged in farming. Four years later he removed to Sherburne county, Minnesota, where he remained two years and then settled at Hassel Lake, Swift county. In 1882, he came to Pope county, and purchased 200 acres of land on section 3, Hoff township, where he has since remained, carrying on general farming and stock raising. He has been very successful in his farming operations, and is rated as one of the most reliable and substantial farmers in that part of the county. In political matters he affiliates with the republican party. In former years he was a member of the Masonic fraternity, but of late years has not paid so much attention to social organizations.

Mr. Councilman was married in September, 1868, in Michigan, to Miss Anna Collins, a native of Massachusetts, and a daughter of Thomas Collins. She was raised and educated in Michigan. Mr. and Mrs. Councilman are the parents of two children - Ferris and Cora. Mrs. Councilman is a member of the Congregational Church.


Ambrose Countryman
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

The paternal ancestors of Ambrose D. Countryman were Germans, and settled in the Mohawk Valley, New York, early in the eighteenth century. His great grandfather was a faithful soldier in the army of the revolution, and his father, P.F. Countryman, was still living in the empire state when the subject of this sketch was born, February 8, 1850. On his mother's side, Mr. Countryman comes of good old English stock, and the branch of the family to which she belongs were early settlers in Vermont. Her Maiden name was Elizabeth E. Gleason. When he was five years of age, young Countryman left St. Lawrence County, New York, his birth-place, and came with the other members of his father's family to Nininger, Dakota County, Minnesota, then a wild country on the frontier of civilization, and here it was that he passed his boyhood and youth, attending the country schools in the winter and working on his father's farm in the summer. The family was poor and Ambrose was the eldest of eleven children. In 1861 his father enlisted as a member of the second Minnesota volunteer infantry, serving until the close of the war, in 1865. During all these years, the oldest son, who, in 1861, was a lad of eleven, was burdened with a responsibility far beyond his years and compelled to undertake the work of a man on the farm. But this turned out to be good training. The war over, the husband and father resumed his place as the head of the family and the eldest son was permitted to finish his education. He went for one year to Hamline University, then located at Red Wing; one year to the state university and two years to Washington University, St. Louis, graduating from the St. Louis law school (Washington University) in June, 1874, with the degree of LL. B. Mr. Countryman earned his first dollar binding grain after a McCormick reaper, and taught school in order to earn money to carry him through college. In June, 1876, he settled in Appleton, Swift County, Minnesota, on a homestead, and in March, 1879, began to practice law in that place, which has ever since been his home. In addition to the practice of his profession, he has for a number of years been engaged in the newspaper business, first with the "Appleton Press," and later with the "Appleton Tribune." He always has been a Republican, and his party locally has honored him repeatedly. From 1878 to 1882 he was county commissioner of Swift County, and from 1882 to 1889 judge of probate of Swift County. For fifteen years he has been a member of the board of education of Appleton, and is now president of the board. Since 1884 he has been village justice of Appleton. For years prior to 1897 he was secretary of the Republican club organization in his home town. In 1897 the state senate elected him first assistant secretary, a position whose duties he discharged with marked ability. Mr. Countryman is past master of Appleton Lodge, No. 137, A. F. and A. M., and past chancellor commander of Appleton Lodge, No. 76, Knights of Pythias. Of both lodges he is a charter member. As a member of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Minnesota he is chairman of the committee on returns of lodges. He is a member of the Episcopal church, and senior warden of Gethsemane parish, Appleton. August 30, 1874, he was married to Miss Jane Beswick, and three children have been born to them. Helen L., December 23, 1876, Ernest A., March 23, 1882, and Peter F., September 21, 1885. Mrs. Coutryman was born in England.

Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

COUNTRYMAN Ambrose D, Appleton.  Lawyer.  Born Feb 8, 1850 in Fine N Y, son of Peter F and Elizabeth E (Gleason) Countryman. Married Aug 30, 1874 to Miss Jennie Beswick. Educated in common schools; U of M; graduating from Washington Univ St Louis LL B 1874. Settled in Minnesota 1855; reared on a farm in Dakota county Minn. Taught school; commenced practice of law in Minneapolis in 1874; removed to Appleton, Swift county Minn 1876; has been engaged in practice of law in Appleton to date. Member Board of County commissioners Swift county 1879-82; judge of probate 1882-89; asst sec Minn State Senate 1897-1905; sec Board of Education Appleton 1883-07; member Masonic fraternity; grand master Minn 1902-1903.

[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
Hon. A. D. Countryman was born in 1850 in St. Lawrence county, New York. When he was a child the family located at Hastings, Minnesota; he studied at the State University and in 1874 graduated from the St. louis law school; was admitted the same year and practiced two years at Minneapolis; since 1879 he has been at Appleton where he was the first attorney; ever since the county was organized he has been one of the commissioners; is now judge of probate; he is master of the masonic lodge here, which he assisted to organize. Married in 1874, Jennie Borwick.


L. A. Countryman
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
L. A. Countryman, native of New York, was born in 1851 in St. Lawrence county, and in 1855 accompanied his parents to Hastings, Minnesota where he learned blacksmithing. He worked at his trade at Minneapolis and other places and in 1878 located at Appleton where he is engaged in blacksmithing. In 1877 he married Miss Sarah Steothern.


J. M. Danelz
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
CAMP LAKE.
J. M. Danelz, born in 1839 in Sweden, came to America in 1869. He lived about three years in Washington county, Minnesota; was quarrying stone; has also worked some as a carpenter; came to Camp Lake in 1871; had bought his land and mill site in 1870 at Swift Falls; he has a grist-mill and general store, and is postmaster; has held various town offices. Married in 1877 Lena Peterson; the children are Herman and Garfield.


P. Detuncq
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
P. Detunccq, who was born in 1854, is a native of Brooklyn, New York. While he was a child he removed with his parents to Wisconsin and was there reared on a farm. In the year 1879 he migrated to Minnesota and located in Appleton, where he engaged in furniture business; his was the first store of the kind in the place.


E. V. Dickey
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
E. V. Dickey, born in 1840 in Madison county, New York, came in 1859 to Minnesota and settled in Goodhue county. He enlisted in Company I, Second Minnesota, in 1861, and served till war closed; was mustered out as first lieutenant. He was in a flouring mill in Wabasha county five years previous to coming in 1879 to Appleton, where he is in the livery business. In 1879 he married Nettie Harper.


W. L. Doe
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
W. L. Doe was born in 1855 in Maine, and grew to manhood in Milford. In 1876 he migrated to this state; was employed as clerk in a store until 1880, then kept books in Appleton; in 1881 he was made secretary and treasurer of the Appleton Mill Company; is also a stock holder. Married Lena Glines in 1879. Mr. Doe is a member of the village board.


James Edwards
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

EDWARDS James N, Benson. Born Oct 18, 1846 in Monmouth, Warren county Ill, son of Berry W and Sarah A (Bevins) Edwards. Married thrice: Oct 12, 1879 to Ellen M Kepner; Feb 11, 1891 to Mary E Hunter; July 25, 1901 to Alvira A Turner. Educated in the public schools of Fayette county Ill. Clk in a country gen store until May 1864; enlisted in 143d Regt III Vol 1866; clerk in country store Loogootee Ill; worked in gen store St Elmo III 1870-75; took a trip to California and Oregon. Returned to St Elmo Ill and formed a co-partnership under firm name of Fogler Bros & Edwards; sold out 1877 and moved to Benson Minn residing on farm until 1879; entered the employ of Frank M Thornton, Benson 1879-82; clk in U S Land Office until 1886; appointed assignee for the firm of Wilkins & Buxton; asst cashr Swift County Bank 1887-96; resigned 1896 having been elected judge of probate Swift county 1894; has held office ever since. Local agent for Continental and Milwaukee Fire Insurance Co. Member G A R; I O O F, which order he joined in 1870; Masonic fraternity; K of P and A O U W.


George H. Elwell
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
George H. Elwell was born in 1856 at Minneapolis, Minnesota. He attended Carleton College of Northfield, and in 1879 finished his studies at the State University; since the autumn of 1880 he has been principal of the public schools at Appleton; his sister, M.W. Elwell, is also a teacher here. Mr. Elwell owns a farm of 800 acres in Big Stone county.


Walter Foland
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

FOLAND Walter Alphonzo, Benson. Lawyer and editor. Born Mar 12 1846 in Dayton O, son of Solomon and Sarah Belle (Francisco) Foland. Married July 26, 1876 to Laura A Woodburn. Attended Terre Haute (Ind) High School; graduated from Ind State Univ 1870; law dept same LL B 1873. Moved to Willmar Minn and engaged in practice of law 1874 to date; county atty Kandiyohi county 1875; moved to Benson and practiced law 1876 to date; editor and publisher Benson Times 1885 to date, under firm name of Foland & McCune. Republican presidential elector 1888.

Another Source:
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
W. A. Foland was born March 12, 1846, in Dayton, Ohio. Removed to Indiana, thence to Tennessee; in 1858 returned to Indiana and in June, 1870, graduated from the State University at Bloomington, taking Latin honor; in 1873 he graduated from the law department of the same school and was chosen by the faculty to deliver master oration. He served one year as deputy clerk of the court of Monroe county; the next year, 1874, he began practice at Willmar, Minnesota, and the year after was appointed county attorney of Kandiyohi, to fill the vacancy caused by Hon. J. H. Brown being elected judge of the Twelfth district. Since February, 1876, he has been in practice at Benson. Married July 26, 1876, Laura, daughter of Prof. J. A. Woodburn.


C. E. Foster
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
C. E. Foster, born in 1832 in Maine, removed in 1855 to St. Anthony, Minnesota, and ran the first stage between that place and St. Cloud. In 1869 he located on section 12 of Appleton; he was the first settler and took an active part in the organization of the town and county; he was appointed one of the first county commissioners; the first town election was held at his house and he was chosen one of the supervisors. January, 1882, he embarked in the farm machinery business. Married in 1859, Sara Henderson.


Albert Glines
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
Albert Glines, born in Canada in 1823, removed when a child to Vermont. From 1844 to 1850 his home was in Wisconsin; after mining one year in California he returned to that state, and was in mercantile trade in Grant county till migrating in 1856 to Wabasha county, Minnesota; he opened the first store in Elgin where he remained fourteen years; was county commissioner there two years; he was in the drug trade at Lake City and took a course in the primary department of the Michigan University; was in the hardware trade at Lake City till 1880, since then at Appleton, where he has been a member of the village board. Married Olive Lane in 1854.


Darwin S. Hall
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
Darwin S. Hall, a native of Wisconsin, was born January 23, 1844, in Kenosha county. He received an academical education and then worked with his father at lumbering until 1864, when he entered Company K, 42d Wisconsin infantry, and served through the remainder of the war. In 1866 he took a homestead in Renville county, Minnesota. He was elected auditor of that county in 1868, and served four years; also five years as district clerk, and was in the state legislature in 1876. Mr. Hall established the Renville Times in 1872 and conducted it two years. Since 1878 he has been register of the United States land office at Benson. In 1868 he married Mary McClaren.


M. H. Halpin
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
KILDARE.
M. H. Halpin was born in the county of Longford, Ireland, June 1, 1851, and in 1873 came to America; he located in Kentucky and engaged in farming; came to De Graff, Minnesota, in 1876, and engaged in general merchandise with a stock of $1,300; has been town clerk and village recorder. Married, April 27, 1878, Mary O'Brien; two children, Margaret and John.


Alfred P. Hanson
Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.

ALFRED P. HANSON, of the thirty-eighth legislative district, was born in Sweden, October 22, 1875. He came with his parents to the United States in 1876, locating near Benson, Minn., in which city he secured his education. He graduated from the Minnesota university in 1900. In 1903 he came to North Dakota as cashier of the First National Bank of Litchville, which is his home. He is married and has ne children. He was elected representative in 1910 and re-elected in 1912, as a republican.


Sanford Henry Hudson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Hudson, Sanford Henry, Benson. Lawyer and banker. Born Nov 29, 1857 in Janesville Wis, son of Sanford A and Sarah D (Canfield) Hudson. Married Jan 16, 1884 to Lorena McLaren. Educated in private school Janesville Wis and Univ of Wis Madison. Has been engaged in the practice of law in Benson since1880; v pres and part owner Swift County Bank, established 1876; mayor of Benson 2 terms; county atty Swift county 3 terms. Member American and Minn State Bar assns; and Minn Historical Society.

Another Source:
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
S. Henry Hudson was born November 29,1857, at Janesville, Wisconsin, and received his education at the academy of that place and at the State University. He studied law with his father, Judge S. A. Hudson, now associate justice of the supreme court of the territory of Dakota, and August 8, 1879, was admitted to practice, at Janesville, where he continued to reside until the spring of the following year, when he came to this state and has since been in practice at Benson.


Aron Hultgren
[Source: History of the Minnesota Valley, Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by Edward D. Neil, page 966, rll]
Aron Hultgren was born in 1848 in Sweden, where he was a soldier two years, and came in 1867 to America. He was at St. Paul two years, in Kandiyohi county twelve years, and since 1881 has been in business at Pillsbury in company with John Strate. In 1870 he married Inge Anderson; six children: Theodore A., Manne, Amanda K., John R. Angus O. and Frethof.


C. F. Ireland
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
C. F. Ireland was born in 1845, in Tioga county, New York. From the age of eleven till the year 1870, his home was in Rochester, Minnesota; he was then farming in Appleton, until 1875, at which date he began mercantile trade with Mr. Lathrop; in 1880 they established the Bank of Appleton. Mr. Ireland enlisted in the 3d Minnesota, and served from 1861 to 1865. In 1868 he married Anna Cutler.


Ole Jacobson
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
Ole Jacobson, a native of Norway, was born September 17,1842, but has lived in America since twenty years of age. Upon coming to this country he located in southern Minnesota, and in 1868 moved to his claim, six miles from Benson; after farming four years he engaged in lumber and machinery business in company with F. M. Thornton; since 1877 he has been alone in the agricultural implement trade. His marriage took place in 1873, with Miss I. Oleson. They have one child and have lost two.


S. H. Johnson
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
S. H. Johnson, native of Wisconsin, was born in February, 1859, in Winnebago county. He acquired an academical education, and in 1879 came to Benson, Swift county; eighteen months later he removed to Appleton; his business is real estate and insurance; since the summer of 1881, the firm has been Johnson and Young.


S. L. Keller
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
S. L. Keller, born in 1845, in Lima, Ohio, began while quite young to learn harness making, with his father. He served in the army from 1863 till war ceased, after which he worked at his trade four years in Ohio, and then in different places until coming to Appleton, where he embarked in the business for himself; his was the first harness shop in the place.


A. W. Lathrop
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
Hon. A. W. Lathrop, born in 1835, in New Jersey, lived in that state, Ohio, Michigan and Iowa, till 1860, then settled in Wabasha county, Minnesota. In 1858 he graduated from the Albany law school, and practiced till 1863 when he entered the 1st Minnesota light artillery; served until the war closed. In 1866 went to Pope county; laid out the town of Glenwood; took part in the organization of the county, and was county attorney till 1870, when he came to Swift county, of which he was one of the first commissioners; was also clerk of court but resigned in 1872, and located at Appleton; he bought part of the present village site and erected the flouring mill; was in mercantile trade but sold in 1878, and continues the milling business. September, 1881, a stock company was formed and he is president. In 1858 he married Harriet Reynolds.


William M. Liggett
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853–ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

William M. Liggett was born in 1846 in Union County, Ohio, a region where the farmers were among the most intelligent, enterprising and public-spirited men of the community. As a farmer's boy, Mr. Liggett's experience was not different from that of most farmers of thirty-five years ago, but he was scarcely in his teens before the intense political struggle which preceded the Civil War engaged the attention of every thinking man. A good farm is the best nursery for boys in any free country, but between 1856 and 1861, when every night round the fireside and at every neighborhood gathering national questions were discussed with a fervor and seriousness that prepared men for the fiery furnace of the impending war, a farm was a rare school for the development of character. Enlisting at the age of seventeen in the Ninety-sixth Ohio, young Liggett served with honor in the campaign of Red River under Banks, and was in the siege of Fort Gaines and Morgan, Spanish and Blakely. The capturing of Fort Blakely with seven thousand prisoners was the last engagement of the war. At the close of the war he declined a commission, and returned to the home farm. Afterwards accepting a situation in the Bank of Marysville, one of the most conservative banking institutions in his native state, he gathered a business experience and knowledge of affairs which has since served him well. Interesting himself in politics he became recognized as a local leader, and was twice elected treasurer of his county. In the meantime he had been prominent in the organization of the National Guard of the state, and at the time of the great riot in Cincinnati, when the court house was burned and the whole city terrorized, he was Colonel of the Fourteenth Ohio National Guard, and commanded the battalion that cleared the streets of the mob, ended the riot and restored peace and order to the city, being wounded severely in the brief time the street firing lasted. Soon after this episode, in 1884, he formed a business partnership with an old friend and comrade, Major Wilcox, who had already established Grandview Farm, in Swift County. Stepping into the management of this property he was soon recognized as one of the leading agriculturists and breeders of the state and found ample room for the exercise of all the administrative ability at his command, and use for both his farm and his business experience. His ideals in domestic stock were of the practical rather than the fancy type; his success was a foregone conclusion. During his seven years of residence on the farm, no farm in the Northwest made more sales or did more to improve the quality of farm stock. Several offices of honor have come to Colonel Liggett unsolicited. In 1888 he was appointed regent of the State University by Governor McGill, as a representative of the farmers of the state, and has since been chairman of the Agricultural Committee, and to him, as much as any other, is due the successful opening of the Minnesota School of Agriculture, now generally recognized as a model. He is also a member of the State Board of Agriculture, and the Board of Farmers Institute, and a member of the Executive Committee of the National Cattle Growers Association. In 1890 he was elected secretary of the State Agricultural Society, and the successful fair of 1890 was held under his management. He would have been his own successor if Governor Merriam, recognizing his executive ability, had not appointed him one of the Railroad Commissioners of the state, in which capacity he served a second term as chairman of the commission. In August 1893, he was asked by the Board of Regents to take the position of acting director of the School of Agriculture of the State Experiment Farm, giving all his spare time to the duties of the position. In October 1896, Colonel Liggett resigned as Railroad and Warehouse Commissioner to accept the position of Dean of the Agricultural School and director of the Experiment Station, to which he was elected by the Board of Regents, October 14, 1896. It is Colonel Liggett's strongest point that he never disappoints expectations. He has a genial and cordial address which wins friends, and the sterling qualities which retain them. With good judgment, a clear mind and rare executive ability, he easily takes rank with the leading agriculturists and breeders of the country, and as he is yet a young man it is reasonable to expect a long and useful life in his chosen calling.

C. J. Mastrud
[Source: History of the Minnesota Valley, Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by Edward D. Neil, page 966, rll]
C. J. Mastrud in a native of Norway, where he was born in 1852; while living there he learned the trade of tinner. In 1870 he came to America; lived for a time in Winneshick county, Iowa; came to Pillsbury in 1875 and started a tin shop; now has a hardware store. Married in July, 1881, Christine Anderson.


W. A. Mattice
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
W. A. Mattice was born in 1836 in New York. He resided in Michigan three years previous to going to Illinois where, in 1861, he enlisted; served till 1864 when he was mustered out as first lieutenant. In 1865 he located at Owatonna, Minnesota; worked at farming and in other lines of business till coming in 1878 to Appleton; his was the first hardware store in town. In 1861 he married Armelda Maxwell.


A. F. McKay
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
A. F. McKay, born in 1844 in Cattaraugus county, New York, lived from twelve years old till 1861 in Wisconsin, then settled at Rochester, Minnesota. Enlisted in 1862; served three years and was mustered out as lieutenant, after which he did carpenter work till made chief of police at Brainerd in 1872; was sheriff of Crow Wing county two years and for a time was in Montana in the employ of the government; in 1877 he came to Appleton where he was in the machinery business till elected sheriff of this county in 1881. Married in 1866, Lizzie Allen.


R. Miles
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
R. Miles was born in Caledonia county, Vermont, February 17, 1830. He lived in Massachusetts five years and in 1848 migrated to Iowa; he taught the first school in Bremer county. Removed to Winnebago Agency, Minnesota, and was in the employ of the government one year; settled at Owatonna, 1855. Enlisted in Company A, 10th Minnesota, and served from 1862 till 1865. Since 1870 he has lived in Appleton; was the first clerk of the town. Married in 1854, Adeline Phelps.


G. B. Newton
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
G. B. Newton, was born January 24, 1851, in Orange county, New York; removed to Tioga county and when twelve years old went to Kentucky; remained till 1865; then migrated to Wisconsin, where he began learning printing; he was afterward in Michigan, and was employed on different papers; he worked for a time at lumbering and book-keeping and in 1880 became employed on the Appleton Recorder, which he purchased in 1881; it is probably the largest paper in his part of the state.


Arnt Kjosnes Pederson
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

A. K. Pederson is the son of Peder Olson Kjosnes and Helga Arntsdatter Vigen (Kjosnes). Following the usual custom of the Norwegian people, he adopted as his surname Pederson; that is, to say, Arnt, of Kjosnes, the son of Peder. He was born December 28, 1845, in the parish of Sielbo, near Throndhjem, Norway. His ancestors were nearly all tillers of the soil. On account of the father being in straightened circumstances financially, the children (of whom there were
eight) were compelled in early youth to help in the work on the farm. From his eighth to his twelfth year, Arnt alternately worked at his own home and for his neighbors, his younger brothers having grown up so he could be spared from home. He received his education in the common "religious school," which he attended until his fifteenth year. He then left home and commenced work in a saw mill, continuing in this occupation for four years, until he was unfortunate enough to have three fingers cut off. The following winter he drove a team, but in the spring started at work in a saw mill again, where he remained for five years, or until 1869, when he emigrated to America. Having no money of his own, he borrowed sufficient funds to cross the ocean, and arrived in Minneapolis May 16, 1869. He immediately commenced work at his former occupation, that of tending a circle saw in a saw mill. He kept steadily at this work for eleven years, when he was compelled to quit on account of the growing weakness of his eyes, caused by constant straining. During this time, however, Mr. Peterson had been frugal in his habits and had obtained a house and lot in Minneapolis. This he now mortgaged for two thousand and five hundred dollars, and getting a bill of lumber went to Appleton, Minnesota, where he engaged in the lumber business. In this he has been very successful, now conducting one of the most extensive lumber and hardware business, between Minneapolis and Aberdeen. At first, on account of the money he had outstanding among the farmers, Mr. Pederson was somewhat handicapped in securing credit for lumber, and remembers with grateful appreciation the assistance afforded him by the old Washburn Mill Company, and states that they were more beneficial to him than the commercial agencies. In connection with his lumber and hardware business, Mr. Pederson also owns a tin shop and a harness shop, and deals in lime, brick, paint, wood, coal, etc. He was instrumental in organizing the Citizens Bank, of Appleton, in 1892, of which institution he is president. In politics Mr. Pederson has always cast his lot with the Republican party, and is an enthusiastic supporter of its principles. His first vote he cast for General Grant for president. He has been active in local politics, but has held no office except that of town supervisor for two terms, and member of the village council for twelve years successively one excepted. On May 22, 1870. Mr. Pederson was married to Mary O. Fuglem, who was also born in Selbo, Norway. They have had ten children, of whom six are living; five boys and one girl.


Daniel D. Robinson
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
Daniel D. Robinson was born in 1818 in New Hampshire. From 1852 till 1857 he was in mercantile trade in California then returned to his native state; from 1862 till 1870 he was in Washington, D. C.; he kept a boarding house and was city constable; after spending one winter in Garden City, Minnesota, he came in 1871 to Appleton and took a claim, the greater portion of the village now stands on his land; he was town clerk seven years, is now president of the village board and board of education. Married in 1842; Miss Mary Parks.


Dr. R. C. Russell
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
Dr. R. C. Russell was born in 1850 in England, and in 1852 came with his parents to America. Until eighteen years of age his home was in Sussex, Wisconsin; he graduated from the Cincinnati Eclectic College in 1875 also Rush Medical College of Chicago; the doctor practiced some years in Freeborn county, two years at Granite Falls and then settled in Appleton.


Martin E. Tew
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Martin E. Tew, editor of the Clarkfield Advocate, is of Norwegian extraction, though a native of Minnesota. His parents came to this country from Vallers, Norway, in 1863. His father was a man of fair education, physically strong, enjoyed rugged health and was of strong character. Mr. Tew's mother was a woman of strong intellectual traits and deep religious temperament. She died when he was five years old. The family was then living in the southern part of Winona County. It was here that Mr. Tew was born on February 11, 1869, in a log house on his father's farm. With an elder brother and sister, Martin attended the common school in the vicinity for a few months each winter, and worked on the farm at home and for the neighbors during the summer. When he was thirteen years old he moved with his father to Swift County, Minnesota, and during the first summer there, took charge of a herd of cattle. For this work he received fifty dollars for the entire season. It was lonesome work for a boy of thirteen, but while out on the prairie he made good use of his time, reading all the good books he could obtain, and studying faithfully. Later he attended the high school at Morris during two winters, making his way by doing chores for his board. In these short terms of three months each winter, he covered the full course, which was as much as the regular classes required nine months each year to finish. From the age of fifteen until he was nineteen he traveled considerably and engaged in various occupations, though making his permanent home in Yellow Medicine County. All this time he spent his spare moments in studying, and at nineteen he taught his first school. He was then in Day County, South Dakota. During the next two years he obtained a few months training at the Normal School at Madison, South Dakota, and by persistent outside work, succeeded in covering the studies of a three years' course in only four months of actual attendance, finishing all the examinations with some of the highest standings ever obtained in the institution. His excellent work obtained for him the special commendation of President Beadle, of the Normal School. Returning to Yellow Medicine County in 1891, he was nominated the following year for County Superintendent of Schools by the People's party. In the election of that year he received almost twice as many votes as the candidates of his party on the state ticket, but not enough to overcome the Republican majority in the county. This was his first entrance in political work. During that campaign he commenced stump speaking, and has since made many addresses in the interests of his party. In 1894 he had a debate with J. T. McCleary. In the spring of 1894, when principal of the Clarkfield schools, Mr. Tew was urged to become the editor of the Reform Advocate, a Populist paper, then published at Granite Falls. The paper was in financial straits. Mr. Tew took hold of it, moved the plant to Clarkfield, increased the size of the paper from four to eight pages, and has since secured for it a wide recognition. In 1895, H. P. Knappen, of Minneapolis, became his partner. His journalistic ventures brought Mr. Tew more than ever into politics. The the last few years he has attended nearly all of the state and congressional conventions of his party, and in 1896 was a delegate to the National Convention at St. Louis. Some of his friends requested him to be a candidate for congress from the Second District, but he refused to let his name be used. Mr. Tew has a decided taste for literature and is an admirer of Milton, Shakspere and other great authors. He has also written a number of poems and songs, several of which have appeared in publications of national circulation.


A. Schoepp
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
A. Schoepp, born in 1858 in Hastings, Minnesota, learned his trade at Northfield and worked in various places till 1879 when he formed a partnership with his brother at Appleton. Married in 1881; Carolina Michal.


G. B. Schoepp
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
G. B. Schoepp, born in Germany in 1846, came to America in 1852 and lived in Milwaukee till 1855, then located at Hastings and learned carriage making; since 1879 he has been in business with his brothers at Appleton. In 1868 he married Mary Seaben.


H. J. Schoepp
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
H. J. Sohoepp, native of Minnesota, was born in 1860 at Hastings where he learned the carriage business which he followed in that place till coming here to enter business with his brothers.


A. Seeley
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
A. Seeley was born in 1859 in Wabasha county, Minnesota. When but twelve years old he entered the post-office at Lake City and remained seven years; in 1879 he came to Appleton and began the book and stationery business; since July, 1881 he has been postmaster. In 1880 he married Ella Scruberger, native of Wisconsin.


J. Simmons
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
J. Simmons was born in 1845 in Norway, and in 1854 immigrated to Wisconsin. In 1856 he settled at Red Wing, Minnesota; was educated at Hamline University; he clerked in a store previous to enlisting in 1862; served three years, then was in mercantile trade at Red Wing at different times, also at Lake Crystal, and since 1879 at Appleton; for two years he was in the bank of Pierce, Simmons & Co., at Red Wing. Married in 1869, Miss P. A. Bergh.


T. Thompson

[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk

APPLETON.
T. Thompson, born in 1847 in Norway, immigrated in 1868 to Rock county, Wisconsin, where he was farming till 1874, at which date he settled in Appleton. Until 1878 he was in the employ of A. W. Lathrop, then bought an interest in the business and is vice president of the company. Married in 1881, Caroline Anderson.


Frank M. Thornton
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
Frank M. Thornton was born December 25,1841, in England. In 1849 he accompanied his widowed mother to New York, where he worked as errand boy in a clothing house and afterward became shipping clerk. In 1855 the family removed to a farm near Minneapolis, and he worked there until enlisting in 1862 in the Sixth Minnesota; he took an active part in the war against the Indians and also served at the South; was transferred to the 18th United States colored regiment and commissioned captain; was also brevetted major. Upon being mustered out he returned home and worked on the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba railroad. From 1870 to 1875 was station agent at Benson and during a part of that time was in the lumber and machinery business; he now owns a grain elevator, keeps a coal yard and a hardware store. Married in May, 1871, Lizzie Clague.


Ole C. Vaugen
SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
THE VILLAGE OF BENSON.
Ole C. Vaugen was born in 1851. He attained his education and learned the trade of jeweler in Norway, his native land. In 1870 he came to America and worked at his trade in La Crosse, Wisconsin, until 1875, after which he came to Benson and started in business for himself.


J. T. Wilkinson
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
J. T. Wilkinson was born in 1840, in England. In 1855 he immigrated to Rhode Island, where in 1861 he enlisted; he was wounded once; spent eleven months in Libby and other prisons. Upon leaving the army in 1865 he worked at coopering in Wisconsin, and Goodhue county, Minnesota, till coming, in 1878, to Appleton, where he is town clerk; has worked at farming here, also in Mr. Dudley's lumber yard. Married Ruth Darbyshire in 1861.


E. T. Young
[SOURCE: History of the Minnesota Valley by Rev. Edward D. Neill. North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis. 1882.] mkk
APPLETON.
E. T. Young, was born in Washington Lake, Sibley county, Minnesota, October 27, 1858. He taught school two years, then attended the State University from 1877 till 1880, when he went to Benson, read law and was admitted in March, 1881; since August of that year he has been in practice at Appleton.

Swift County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails