Todd County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Biographies




Frank H. Allen, M. D.
Source: History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, 1904. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Todd county, Minnesota, has no more worthy representative among her professional men than Dr. Frank H. Allen. He is a young man of excellent education and intellect and is rapidly taking his deserved station among the medical fraternity of Minnesota. He is popular and influential as a citizen and physician and enjoys a large patronage in Staples and surrounding country.

Dr. Allen was born in Wisconsin, January 29, 1871, and was a son of Houston B. and Nettie (Shoe) Allen, the former a native of Iowa and the latter of Wisconsin. He attended the common schools of Richland Center, Wisconsin, until he was seventeen years of age, when he went to Beloit College, and later took a three years' course in the University of Wisconsin. He then began the study of medicine and graduated from Rush Medical College in 1894. He at once established his office in Staples, Minnesota and has rapidly gained a lucrative and increasing patronage. His office is located over the City Drug Store in the Mooreland Block at First avenue and Fourth street and he has a large office practice as well as outside practice. He is the Association Substitute Physician for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, and is chairman of the board of health at Staples. Dr. Allen owns a valuable residence and lot in Staples, and also has fine driving team, and being a lover of dogs has two blooded setters.

Dr. Allen was married in 1900 to Jennie Wilson. Mrs. Allen is a native of Minnesota, and was born May 22, 1881. Her parents, George and Mary Wilson, reside at Staples, and Mr. Wilson is an engineer for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company. Dr. and Mrs. Allen are members of the Episcopal church at Staples. Dr. Allen is very prominent in secret society circles and holds membership in the following orders, the local lodges of the same being located in Staples; Masonic fraternity, Elks, Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of America, Ancient Order of United Workmen, Degree of Honor, Eastern Star, Shieks of Damascus. Politically Dr. Allen is a Republican.


Kyle H. Balcom
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

One of the successful newspapers of Todd county, Minnesota, is the Browerville Blade, of which Kyle H. Balcom has been the editor and publisher since 1910. The Browerville Blade is a weekly newspaper and has a large circulation in this community. Its proprietor is a practical and efficient printer, who understands thoroughly all of the angles of the newspaper business.

Kyle H. Balcom was born at Thomson, Illinois, May 15, 1887, and is the son of Truxton H. and Augusta (Carpenter) Balcom, the former of whom was born in New York state and who, when about eighteen years old, immigrated to Illinois with his parents. They settled in Carroll county, Illinois, from which the late Truxton H. Balcom enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifty-second Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served altogether four years, two years as a drummer boy and two years in the ranks.

Upon his return from the army Truxton H. Balcom settled down on the farm in Carroll county, Illinois, where he lived until his death. He also operated a grocery store in Thomson for about four years. He died in June, 1893, at the age of fifty-one years, and at the time of his death was a prominent member of the Masonic lodge of the state. He had risen to the rank of a thirty-second-degree Scottish Rite Mason. He was also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Mrs. Augusta Balcom, mother of Kyle H., was born in New York state in 1848, and came to Illinois with her parents and settled in Carroll county, where she was married. She lived to be fifty-two years old, passing away on March 28, 1900. To Mr. and Mrs. Truxton H. Balcom were born four children, Lloyd, deceased; Geneva, who married Edward Ullman and lives in Browerville; Earl, who died in infancy; and Kyle, the subject of this sketch.

Kyle H. Balcom attended the common schools and after completing the course moved with his mother to Webster, South Dakota, where he was graduated from the high school. After finishing the high school course proper he attended the Commercial Business College at Mankato, Minnesota In 1905 he returned to Webster and was employed in a printing office at that place. There he learned the trade of a compositor, remaining three years. When Mr. Balcom was twenty-one years old he settled at Lemmon, South Dakota, in Perkins county, where he took a claim of one hundred and sixty acres. After one and one-half years, he sold out his right to the claim and moved to Ortonville, Minnesota, where he worked in a printing office for about one year. In 1910 he came to Browerville and purchased from C. H. Sherman the Browerville Blade, which he has published ever since.

In 1914 Mr. Balcom engaged in the motion picture business in Browerville. He has a theater called the "Idle Hour," which he still operates. In partnership with F. T. Warber, Mr. Balcom has been engaged in the realestate business since July, 1915.

On October 31, 1909, Kyle H. Balcom was married to Lucille Zaback, who was born at Bigstone City, South Dakota, December 12, 1888. Mrs. Balcom was educated in the public schools of Bigstone City, where she lived until her marriage. She is the daughter of August Zaback, who is a native of Germany and who settled at Bigstone City upon his arrival in America from Germany. He lived there until 1913, when the family moved to Falsen, North Dakota. Mrs. Balcom is one of seven children born to her parents. One child is deceased. The living children are, John; Anthoneo, who married Joseph Fleming and lives in Foxhole, North Dakota; Martin; Edward; Lucille, the wife of Mr. Balcom and Leo.

Mr. and Mrs. Kyle H. Balcom have one child, Kinnin, who was born on August 3, 1913.

The Browerville Blade is independent in politics. Mr. Balcom has been prominent in the political and civic life of Todd county and, as the publisher of the leading newspaper of his community, enjoys a well-deserved prestige as a citizen and business man. Since coming to Browerville five years ago Mr. Balcom has made a host of friends, not only for himself but for the newspaper of which he is proprietor.


Warren W. Brooks
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Warren W. Brooks, a progressive farmer and stockman of Reynolds township, Todd county, Minnesota, was born in Onargah, Iroquois county, Illinois, October 17, 1867, and is the son of Edward M. and Mary E. (Waters) Brooks.

Mr. Brooks' father is a native of Vermont and his mother a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They were married in the Keystone state and, after their marriage, moved to Illinois, where they lived until about 1870, when the returned to Pennsylvania. After living in Pennsylvania for a short time they moved, in 1873, to Kansas, from which place they moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee. There they lived about five years, when they moved to Alabama. From Alabama, the family returned to Illinois and lived for about one year at Egypt. In the fall of 1887 the family moved to Redwood, Minnesota. Both parents are still living and make their home with their children. Mr. Brooks' father was a soldier in the Civil War, having served in an Illinois regiment. At the time of his discharge he held the rank of captain.

Warren W. Brooks had preceded the family to Redwood, arriving in 1886. He remained there until 1894. In 1896 he came to Todd county and settled in Reynolds township. At that time the township was comparatively new country and the lands were heavily timbered. Mr. Brooks' farm was of this description. After twenty years of hard, but intelligent work, he has the one hundred and sixty acres nicely improved, more than one hundred acres being cleared and under cultivation. He is now engaged not only in general farming but in dairying, and has one of the good dairy herds of the county. In seeking to advance the dairy industry of the county, he helped to organize the Reynolds Farmers Co-operative Creamery Company, and during the twelve years of this institution's useful service, he has been its president. He is also vice-president of the Todd County Guernsey Breeders' Association and one of the directors of the Todd County Agricultural Society.

Mr. Brooks has been identified with the public affairs of his township and has had a leading part in its development. He has at different times been a supervisor of the town and at the present time is chairman of the town board. In politics, Mr. Brooks is identified with the Republican party.

On January 5, 1894, Warren W. Brooks was married to Hannah Linscott, a daughter of Benjamin and Anna (Crapo) Linscott, natives of Maine and New York, respectively. Mrs. Brooks's parents came to Minnesota in pioneer times and settled in Wells, Faribault county. There they lived a number of years and then moved to Blue Earth, where they lived until 1900, when they emigrated to Missouri. After living in that state a few years they moved to Kansas, and it was there that Mrs. Brooks' father died. Her mother is still living and is a resident of Pawnee, that state.

Mr. and Mrs. Brooks have seven children, Edward M., Ellen Elizabeth, Sylvia Etta, Carson Gordon, Mary Alice, William Bradford and Dorothy Helen, all of whom live at home. They and their family are members of the Presbyterian church. Fraternally, Mr. Brooks is a member of the Long Prairie lodge. Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a type of the good citizen that a community is fortunate to possess - a self-made man and successful farmer.


Ripley B. Brower
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson

BROWER Ripley B, St Cloud. Lawyer. Born May 22, 1869 in Todd county Minn, son of Jacob B and Armina E (Shava) Brewer. Married Dec 11, 1901 to Jennie F Hanson. Educated in public and normal school St Cloud: graduating U of M LL B 1891. Admitted to bar St Cloud and has continued practice ever since. State senator 47th dist 1899-1901. Member Masonic fraternity, K of P and B P O E.


Frank P. Davies
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Frank F. Davies, a prosperous farmer of Round Prairie township, Todd county, Minnesota, is a native of Blue Earth county, Minnesota, where he was born on August 16, 1858. Mr. Davies is a son of Alvin and Sarah M. (Ives) Davies, the former of whom was a native of Oneida and the latter of St. Lawrence counties, New York.

After the marriage of Alvin and Sarah M. (Ives) Davies in New York state, they came west to the state of Wisconsin and for a time resided in Fond du Lac. From Fond du Lac they moved to Belle Plaine, in Scott county, Minnesota, in 1856, and after living there for a short time moved to Blue Earth county, Minnesota, and pre-empted a tract of land where they lived until 1884. In that year the parents moved to Todd county and purchased a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, which is now occupied by their son, Frank P. Mr. Davies' father died in June, 1897, and his mother in December, 1895. They were the parents of six children, five of whom are living, Henry, who is a resident of Roseau county, Minnesota; Frank P., the subject of this sketch; Minnie E., the wife of Edwin E. Blake, of Orofino, Idaho; Charles J., who is a resident of Kermit, North Dakota, and Carrie B., who is the wife of William Scoles, of Idaho. Jerome, the second child in the family, was a resident of Round Prairie township and died in 1912.

Frank P. Davies received a good education in the common schools of Blue Earth county, Minnesota, and later attended the state normal school at Mankato. After completing his education, he was engaged in teaching school for twelve years. For the first five years he devoted his attention exclusively to teaching but during the next seven years taught school in the winter and farmed in the summer. He now owns one hundred and sixty acres of well-improved land in Round Prairie township, upon which he has erected a splendid house which is modern in every respect. He has made a specialty of stock raising and now has a fine herd of Holstein and Jersey cattle. He is president of the Little Sauk Rural Telephone Company and a member of the Live Stock Shipping Association of Gray Eagle.

On March 22, 1882, Frank P. Davies was married to Olive A. Foster, who is a daughter of Joseph F. and Susan A. (Williams) Foster. Mrs. Davies was born in Dodge county, Wisconsin. Her father was a native of New York state and her mother of Vermont. They came to Minnesota in pioneer times and settled in Blue Earth county. Mrs. Davies' father died in that county and her mother in Le Sueur county.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank P. Davies have been the parents of five children, four of whom are living and one died in infancy. The living children are, Ida B., the wife of Clarence E. Pearl, of Saskatchewan, Canada; Fay O., who married Lawrence Claffy, of Two Harbors, Minnesota; Benjamin H., and Ives W., both of whom are at home.

Mr. Davies' father served three years as a member of Company E, Ninth Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, during the Civil War. His father was an ardent Republican in politics and his son is also identified with this party. Frank P. Davies has been clerk of Round Prairie township since March, 1915, and was formerly supervisor of the township. He has also served as a school director. Mr. Davies is a member of Sons of Veterans and the Modern Woodmen of America. The Davies family all belong to the Congregational church.


Joseph S. Endslow
Source: The Minneapolis Journal (MN) March 26, 1904; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Joseph S. Endslow of Hewitt, Minn., one of the hustling contestants in the ninth district of Minnesota. Mr. Endslow is a native of Pennsylvania and moved from his native state to Elmore, Minn., a few years ago, entering the employ of Dustin's Department Store. Later he accepted the position as assistant cashier of the First State bank of Hewitt, Minn. Mr. Endslow solicits the votes of his many friends, who all declare he is going to be the lucky winner from his district.


George A. Etzell
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Among the clean cut young men and public-spirited citizens of Clarissa, Todd county, Minnesota, is George A. Etzell, who is the postmaster of Clarissa, and the editor and publisher of the Clarissa Independent.

George A. Etzell was born on a farm near Chaska, in Carver county, Minnesota, September 1, 1877, and is one of a large family of children. He attended school at Chaska until fourteen years of age, and then began work on the Chaska Herald in the printing shop. After working for the Chaska Herald for three years he worked two years for the Carver Free Press, at Carver, Minnesota, and then attended the Hess Business College, at St. Paul, Minnesota, graduating after a year and one-half of study.

Shortly after leaving college, Mr. Etzel joined the Twelfth Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and during the Spanish-American war, was held in reserve for the Havana campaign, but the war ended before the regiment was called into service, the regiment having only gone as far as Chickamauga, Tennessee. After Mr. Etzell's discharge from the service, he worked for various daily newspapers in different parts of the country.

In 1902 Mr. Etzell came to Clarissa, Minnesota, and purchased a half interest in the Clarissa Independent, his partner at the time being P. S. Dorsey. In August, 1903, Mr. Etzell purchased his partner's interest in the paper and has since operated it alone. This newspaper has a wide circulation in this community, and a most satisfactory advertising patronage.

On January 1, 1915, Mr. Etzell was appointed postmaster of Clarissa, after a competitive civil service examination. His wife is the assistant in the postoffice.

Mr. Etzell's wife is a native of Chaska, Minnesota, where she was born, reared and educated. She made her home with her parents until her marriage in 1906. Mr. and Mrs. Etzell are the parents of two children. George and Magdalin.

The Etzell family are earnest and devout members of the Catholic church. Mr. Etzell is a member of the Knights of Columbus. He is independent in politics.


Leslie A. Groover
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

It is next to impossible to estimate the influence of a newspaper in a community and likewise difficult to estimate the personal influence of the newspaper editor and publisher. This influence depends somewhat upon native ability, upon a thorough understanding of social and political problems and finally upon individual sympathies for these various problems. Leslie A. Groover, a successful young resident of Hewitt, Todd county, Minnesota, who is now the editor and publisher of the Hewitt Banner, is a self-made man and, although not a native of this state, is a product of the great West, which has produced so many sterling citizens within the past half century.

Leslie A. Groover was born at Fort Grant, Arizona, July 30, 1892, and is the son of Charles C. and Selma (Sandberg) Groover.

Educated in the public schools of Clinton, Minnesota, and in the high school at Clinton, from which, however, he did not graduate, since he had an opportunity to learn the printer's trade, Mr. Groover worked for the Clinton Advocate as an apprentice for six months and then went to Ortonville, Big Stone county, Minnesota, where he accepted a position as second man in the office of the Ortonville Journal. After holding this position for two years, he was promoted to the position of foreman of the plant and held that position for one year. Mr. Groover then went to Long Prairie, Minnesota, where he accepted the position of foreman of the Todd County Argus, owned by A. L. and M. C. Sheets at that time, and later by A. E. Roese. After having remained in the employ of those parties for four years, until November, 1914. Mr. Groover moved to Osakis, Minnesota, where he accepted a position as foreman of the Osakis Review, holding this position until May, 1915.

In May, 1915, Mr. Groover returned to Long Prairie and, in partnership with A. L. Sheets, engaged in the job printing business. This business was sold to Mr. Sheets on July 1, 1915, and Mr. Groover came to Hewitt, Todd county, Minnesota, and purchased the Hewitt Banner from V. E. Joslin. Mr. Groover is now the editor and publisher of this paper, which has a most satisfactory circulation in this part of Todd county. It is his first experience as editor of a paper, but he is a bright, clean-cut young man of excellent habits and of splendid business ability and is bound to make a success of any enterprise to which he might turn his hand.

Leslie A. Groover was married on September 9, 1915, to Mary Hennek, of Long Prairie, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Hennek, of that place.

Politically, Leslie A. Groover is wholly unprejudiced and is, therefore, the better equipped as a newspaper publisher and proprietor. He is an independent voter. Mr. Groover is a member of the Catholic church and devout in this faith.


James Hart
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Long Prairie, Minnesota, is proud of its many thriving enterprises, but there is none in which the city and in which Todd county takes a greater measure of pride than in the mercantile establishment founded by the late James Hart in 1887. This firm is one of the largest in the state of Minnesota, and until his death in 1905 its president and manager, from 1887 to 1905, was Mr. Hart. Since his death the business has been admirably conducted by his three sons. Under their management it has outgrown its resent quarters and plans are now under way for a splendid new building in which the store is to be housed.

The late James Hart, founder of the general mercantile store of James Hart & Sons, was born at Weeks, St. Marys, Cornwall, England, and when a lad of fourteen years came to America with his parents. They settled at La Crosse, Wisconsin, living there for a number of years, and later in different parts of the state of Wisconsin. Subsequently, Mr. Hart settled at Long Prairie, Todd county, and it was here that he met and married Sarah Elizabeth Barnes, at that time a resident of Purnhamville township, Todd county. She is the daughter of John and Hannah E. (Wood) Barnes and was born at Edenville, New York. Mrs. Hart's mother, Hannah E. Wood, was the daughter of Solomon and Susan (McCoy) Wood, the former of whom was a soldier in the War of 1812. Solomon Wood's father, John Wood, was a major in the Revolutionary army. Mrs. Hart came with her father to Red Wing, Minnesota, when a girl of twelve years, After living at Red Wing for four years, she went to Bangor, Wisconsin, where for some time she lived with her two aunts, Mrs. William Sawyer and Mrs. Baxter. Afterward, she returned to Minnesota and settled in Burnhamville township, where she lived at the time of her marriage to Mr. Hart.

Mr. and Mrs. James Hart were the parents of six children, all of whom are living. H. K. Hart, who was born in Todd county, was educated in Long Prairie and at Browerville. He also attended the Caton Business College at Minneapolis, Minnesota. He married Lottie Sherman and has one son, Royce Denton. Charles W., the second child, who was born in Todd county, Minnesota, was educated at Long Prairie and at Browerville. He married Clara Murphy and has one son, Harold Charles. Mrs. Clara Hart died some years ago and Mr. Hart was married, secondly, to Cecile Buckingham, and to them have been born three children, James Sylvester, Robert Wood and Donald Elmer. Irving E., the third child, was also educated at Long Prairie and at Browerville. He married Etta Hermes and to them has been born one son, Richard Peter. The three daughters born to Mr. and Mrs. James Hart are Mrs. Jeanette Sarff, Mrs. Eva Hillman and Grace. Mrs. James Hart died at Long Prairie, September 16, 1915.

Since the death of James Hart, in 1905, the business which he established at Long Prairie has been conducted by his three sons, H. E., Charles W. and Irving E. The Hart store is one of the largest in Minnesota. Until a short time ago the firm owned a large store at Browerville, in Todd county, and another at Hibbing, in St. Louis county. These holdings, however, have been disposed of. In the spring of 1916 the Hart brothers will erect one of the finest business blocks in Todd county. The building which they now occupy is a splendid structure but in recent years the business has grown so fast that a much larger building is necessary.

The Harts have always been leaders in local enterprises. Their business genius has contributed materially to the civic, moral and educational advancement of Long Prairie and Todd county.


Wilber E. Hutchinson
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Wilber E. Hutchinson, the editor and publisher of the Eagle Bend News and the proprietor of the Eagle Bend Telephone Company, which he owns and operates, is a native of Waterloo, Wisconsin, where he was born on May 27, 1867.

Mr. Hutchinson is the son of William H. and Betsy Hutchinson, who were natives of Vermont. The former was a lawyer and school teacher, who, shortly after his marriage, moved to Wisconsin, practicing law at Waterloo. He was also admitted to the bars of Iowa, Minnesota and South Dakota. He died in October, 1913, at the age of eighty-two years, at Ruskin, Florida. His wife died in 1910, at the age of about seventy-five. They were the parents of seven children, Charles I., of Lamoure, North Dakota; William, who died at the age of twenty-two; Mrs. V. K. Van Niman, who died in Minneapolis in 1912; Wilber E., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. G. W. Crallee, of Ruskin, Florida; Earl, of Spokane, Washington; and one who died in infancy.

Educated at Limes Springs, Iowa, and at Alexandria, Minnesota, where he attended the high school for three years, Wilber E. Hutchinson began teaching at the age of seventeen years. His first school was at Spruce Hill, Douglas county, Minnesota, and since then he has taught in North Dakota, South Dakota and in various parts of Minnesota. In all Mr. Hutchinson has taught fifty terms of school. In 1893, while teaching school in Todd county, Minnesota, he purchased a printing outfit at Browerville, Minnesota, and after moving the outfit to Eagle Bend, established the Todd County News. A few years later the name of this paper was changed to the Eagle Bend News. Its circulation originally was about two hundred, but the paper now has a circulation of about eight hundred. In 1905 Mr. Hutchinson established the Browerville Blade at Browerville, Minnesota, but after operating this paper for about one year, sold out to Garfield Fields. Later he established the Bertha Herald at Bertha, Minnesota, but sold this paper after operating it for a short time.

In the summer of 1907 Wilber E. Hutchinson built a telephone exchange at Eagle Bend. He now owns the exchange and all of the telephones in the village and has about ninety phones connected with the exchange. There are about three hundred rural telephones, which are owned by the farmers and which connect with the exchange. This exchange also has a connection with the Bell system.

In September, 1886, Wilber Hutchinson was married to Margaret R. Young, a daughter of Henry T. and Mary A. (Conley) Young, who were natives of Ireland. Henry T. and Mary A. Young were married in America and were pioneers in Leslie township, Todd county, Minnesota. Later they moved to Montana, where he died. Mrs. Young was later married to J. H. Thompson, who died in 1915. His widow now lives in Montana. Mrs. Hutchinson received a common-school education in Todd county and, at one time, was a student under the preceptorship of her husband. She made her home with her parents until her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson have been the parents of three children, Earl A., Elmer C. and Clyde. Of these children. Earl A. owns and conducts the telephone exchange at Parker Prairie, Otter Tail county; Elmer is a professional ball player and is now playing with the league at Havre, Montana. Clyde died at the age of one year.

Mr. Hutchinson is identified with the Republican party. He served as a member of the council for several terms and as village clerk and village recorder for several terms. Mr. Hutchinson was also postmaster at Eagle Bend from 1894 until 1906. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Yeomen.


John David Jones
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Few citizens of Todd county, Minnesota, who belong to the past generation, occupied a larger place in public affairs than the late John David Jones, of Long Prairie, who died on August 14, 1914. During his lifetime he held many positions of trust and responsibility and, at the time of his death, it could be said of him that he worthily discharged these duties and fulfilled all of the responsibilities which fall to the lot of the public-spirited and conscientious man and citizen.

Born in Pennsylvania, May 31, 1849, John David Jones was a son of the Rev. John and Deborah (Gandey) Jones, the former of whom was a native of Wales and the latter was born in one of the New England states. Deborah Gandey was of Revolutionary stock. She was married to Rev. John Jones in the East and immigrated with him in 1867 to Todd county, Minnesota. Prior to their removal to Minnesota, the family had lived for a time in New Jersey, but, upon coming to Minnesota, the family settled at Kandota, in Todd county, where Rev. John Jones took a homestead. The old homestead farm was located on the banks of Fairy lake. After arriving in Todd county in the fall of 1867, Rev. John Jones, whose health was rapidly failing before he came to this western country, continued to decline until his death in 1872. He lived long enough, however, to leave the mark of his influence upon the early history of this county. He established the first Baptist church in Todd county. He often came to Long Prairie to preach, even before the church was finished and, during this period, used the Chandler store for services. The Jones family is, therefore, identified with the pioneer development of Todd county.

John David Jones, who upon the death of his father, quickly assumed his father's place as a leader in the pioneer community, was educated in the New Jersey Classical and Scientific Institute, at Lewisburg University, at Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, and the Hightstown Institute, at Hightstown, New Jersey. Mr. Jones was only two years old when he had moved with his parents to New Jersey and it was in that state that he grew to manhood. There he attended the Hightstown Institute and the Lewisburg Seminary. He was not able to finish his education because of the poor health of his father. After his marriage in 1871, he moved shortly with his bride to Long Prairie, and was elected register of deeds of the then new county of Todd. Upon the arrival of himself and his bride in Todd county, there were no houses available so they took up their residence in the old court house building and lived there until a house could be erected on the lot which has since been their home.

Mr. Jones was classed among the early settlers of Todd county. He was the county's second register of deeds and in that early day the population was very sparse and the greater part of the county was an unbroken wilderness, known only to the Indians and to wandering hunters. The work of his office, therefore, was light and Mr. Jones embraced the opportunity to study law during his spare time. Eventually, he completed his studies and was admitted to the bar upon leaving the register of deeds' office. He was subsequently elected attorney of Todd county, and upon assuming the duties of this office his responsibilities were suddenly increased by the famous Mead murder trial, which old settlers well remember as one of the most important cases of its kind in the history of the county. Intense excitement was aroused throughout this section in the case. Mead's partner in crime was taken from the jail at night and lynched and, in many ways, the trial of Mead himself was sensational. It was the county's first murder trial and the young county attorney handled the case in a masterly way. As a result of the prestige he gained in the management of this trial, he leaped into sudden prominence as one of the strong lawyers of the state.

Shortly afterward, Mr. Jones was elected assistant secretary of the state senate and still later elected secretary. In these positions his opportunity for forming a state-wide acquaintance was almost unequaled and he shortly became a candidate for clerk of the supreme court. He was nominated in a close contest over a field of other men of state-wide prominence and in the fall was easily elected. He was the first man from Todd county and the first man from this part of the state to gain state-wide recognition. After serving as clerk of the supreme court for four years, he was sent to the House of Representatives from his home district, and was re-elected. His service in the house culminated in his election as speaker of that body, and, after retiring from the house, he was elected to the state Senate, where he served four years.

Upon leaving the state Senate, Mr. Jones retired from active politics, But, when the new land office was organized at Cass Lake, he was offered the position of registrar of the office and reluctantly accepted the position, but resigned after one year of service. He then returned to Long Prairie and did not again seek nor accept public office. During the later and declining years of his life, he took only a casual interest in political matters.

The late John D. Jones was a resident of Todd county for forty-seven years and these years were those of the county's organization and early growth. In the practice of law, he was particularly able and, at his death, held the leading place among the lawyers of this county and district.

In 1871 John David Jones was married to Martha Hale, and to this union were born three children, Harvey R., who died in 1895; Mrs. Fred B. Radabaugh, who resides in Los Angeles, California; and John T., who is a moving picture actor and resides in California. John T. Jones served in the Spanish-American War as a second lieutenant. By his marriage to Lillian Dixon, there has been born one daughter, Martha Esther, who was born on April 23, 1900.

Mrs. John David Jones, who before her marriage was Martha Hale, was born in Letcher county, Kentucky, the daughter of A. D. and Louisa (Young) Hale, who were natives of Lee county, Virginia. Mrs. Louisa Hale was born on October 30, 1830, and was eighty-three years old at the time of her death. She moved with her parents to the state of Kentucky, where, in 1851, she was married to A. D. Hale. They lived in Kentucky until after the war, but in 1866, moved to Todd county and settled in Kandota township, where they lived many years, until their removal to Reynolds township in 1896. After Mr. Hale's death, his widow moved to the village and made her home in Long Prairie until 1912, when she went to North Dakota to make her home with her daughter, Mrs. S. J. Truax. She was the mother of ten children, all now living, Mrs. Jones' father died in Scott county, Virginia, in January, 1897.

Mrs. John D. Jones has one of the finest residences in Long Prairie and, in fact, one of the most magnificent places in Todd county. Her deceased husband, who was a man loved and admired by the people of Todd county, took a delight in beautifying his home and spent a great deal of his time, especially the later years of his life, in experimenting extensively with flowers, shrubs, trees and plants. In time his garden became one of the most beautiful spots in this part of the county. Mrs. Jones, since her husband's death, in the spirit of abiding affection, has kept the place in the same good order as her husband left it. John David Jones will long be remembered by his part in the history of the state and county, with which his life work was so intimately identified.


William E. Lea
Source: The Bemidji daily pioneer (Bemidji, Minn.), November 05, 1908

William E. Lea of Long Prairie Has Done Much for Farm Implement Department
William Edwin Lee, superintendent of the Machinery department, manufacturers, farm implements and carriages at the Minnesota, State Fair, was born in Alton, Illinois, January 8. 1852. His parents came from England in 1851 and first settled at Alton. They removed to Minnesota in 1857 and settled at Little Falls, where they removed to Long Prairie, but returned to Little Falls during the Indian outbreak of 1862. Mr. Lee lived on a farm near there until he left home to take up his residence at Long Prairie in 1875. While a young man he worked on the farm and with his father at millwright and carpenter work, also worked in the lumbering woods and on the river. While working as a millwright he invented a valuable improvement in grain cleaning machinery, which was extensively used in the mills of the country and was the subject of considerable litigation between the inventor and the millers.
In 1876 he opened a store, at Pillsbury, Minnesota, and in 1877 was elected register of deeds of Todd County, Minnesota, and held the office four years. In January, 1882, he established the bank of Long Prairie, the first bank in Todd county, and has been one of its officers ever since. Mr. Lee represented Todd county in the legislature of 1885, 1887 and 1893, being speaker of the house during the session of 1893. In 1894 he was appointed superintendent of the Minnesota state reformatory at St. Cloud, which position he filled for two years. He was appointed by Gov. Van Sant one of the first members of the state board of control and served upon that board about two years, he also served one term on the state normal school board and has been four years on the State Fair board. He is president of the First National Bank of Browerville; First National Bank of Eagle Bend; First State Bank of Burtrum; Vice President of the First State Bank of Thompson Falls, Thompson, Mont, and cashier of the bank of Long Prairie.


William Edwin Lee
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853–ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

William Edwin Lee, president of the Bank of Long Prairie, is better known to the people of Minnesota as an active public man and as the efficient superintendent of the State Reformatory at St. Cloud. During the spring and summer of 1896 he has been brought into special prominence as a candidate before the state Republican convention for the nomination for governor. Mr. Lee is of English origin, though born in this country just after his parents settled here. His father, Samuel Lee, came to America with his wife (who was Miss Jane Green), from Bridgewater, Summersetshire, England, in 1851. Mr. Lee was a contractor and builder and a millwright by trade. During the financial panic of 1856 he suffered losses at Alton, Illinois, where he first established himself, he came to Minnesota in June 1856, and settled at Little Falls. He served in Company E, of Hatch's Battalion, Minnesota Volunteers, during the war. Mr. and Mrs. Lee arc still living at Long Prairie. Their son William was born at Alton on January 8, 1852. He received his education in the public schools and from private instructors after leaving school. While a boy he worked on a farm and with his father at the millwright trade. During his experience in this trade he invented a wheat cleaning machine, known as Lee's wheat and cockle separator. Mr. Lee was unable to manufacture the machine and put it on the market, but, although he held a patent, a Milwaukee concern commenced the manufacture and placed the machines in nearly every flour mill in the world where spring wheat is ground. After many unsuccessful attempts to secure a settlement, Mr. Lee commenced suit against users of his machine. which were prosecuted successfully and became famous among patent litigation. In company with R. H. Harkens, Mr. Lee, when a young man, started a small country store at Burnhamville, Todd County, which was afterwards removed to Long Prairie and became one of the leading mercantile establishments of the county. In January 1882, he established the Bank of Long Prairie, which was the first bank in Todd County. Mr. Lee's political service began in 1875, when he was elected justice of the peace. Two years later he was elected register of deeds of Todd County and held the office for four years. In 1885 he represented Todd County in the legislature and took an active part in the railroad and warehouse legislation of that year – the first important legislation of the kind in Minnesota. He was re-elected to the legislature in 1887 and again in 1893, when he was chosen speaker of the house. For twenty years he has been actively identified with the public affairs of northern Minnesota. Though of a democratic family he has been from the time he cast his first vote, an enthusiastic Republican. In 1894 Mr. Lee was surprised by being tendered the post of superintendent of the State Reformatory at St. Cloud. During the nineteen months of his term of service at the head of this institution its affairs were economically managed and many improvements in the methods and management of the reformatory were introduced. During the winter of 1896 the stockholders of the Bank of Long Prairie, desiring to organize the institution into a National Bank, urged Mr. Lee to accept the presidency of the reorganized concern, and he accordingly resigned his position as superintendent of the reformatory and returned to Long Prairie. In 1875 Mr. Lee was married to Miss Eva A. Gibson, daughter of Ambrose H. Gibson. They have three sons, Rudolph A. Lee, a student at the state university; Harry W. Lee and Raymond A. Lee, students at the St. Cloud Normal school. Mr. Lee has taken an active interest in educational matters and served six years on the state normal school board. He has been actively identified with the building up of the village of Long Prairie, where he has been engaged in the banking, mercantile and real estate business.


John D. Marlin, Jr.
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

John D. Marlin, Jr., dealer in real estate and kindred lines, was born on January 7, 1871, in Page county, Iowa, son of John D. and Melissa (Stratton) Marlin, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in Armstrong county, July 4, 1835, and the latter a native of Beaver county, born on December 9, 1834. John D., Sr., was engaged in farming all the active years of his life and after his marriage on September 17, 1857, he came west in the hope of having still greater opportunities in his chosen vocation. He lived in Illinois at the beginning of the Civil War and enlisted as a private in 1862, at Springfield, in the One Hundred and Twelfth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served until the close of hostilities and saw much active service in the Southern states. After returning home, he brought his family to Page county, Iowa, in 1867, and was engaged in agricultural work there until about 1895. He owned and operated eighty acres of land and was a heavy stock feeder. His farm was skillfully managed, well improved and was considered one of the show farms of the county. John D. Marlin, Sr., also owned three hundred acres of land in Kansas. He retired from active work some years ago, and died on September 10, 1915, and was buried at Clarinda, Iowa. Mrs. Melissa Marlin makes her home with John D., Jr., the immediate subject of this sketch.

There were three children in the family of John D. Marlin, Sr., John D., Jr., being the youngest. Ella J. (Mrs. Hepburn) died in 1894, and Lizzie A. (Mrs. Hoge) resides at Heavner, Oklahoma. John D., Jr., passed his boyhood on the farm in Page county, Iowa, attending its public schools, where he received his elementary education. He later attended Amity College at College Springs, Iowa, where he took the normal course. In 1888 he entered Western Normal College at Shenandoah, Iowa, for a complete commercial course. He was graduated from that institution in 1890 and in the same year he came to Staples and assumed the position of bookkeeper in the Staples bank. He continued in that relation until 1894 when he resigned, and upon the organization of another bank the following year he became its cashier. A few years later he purchased the business of the bank and became its sole owner. He disposed of that business in 1900, when he became interested in real estate and insurance, in which he has continued and has succeeded so well that he is considered among the leading men in this section of the state in his chosen field of endeavor. In point of years of service, he is now the oldest man in his line in Staples.

Mr. Marlin is the owner of considerable city property and in addition has eight hundred and twenty acres of land scattered throughout the northern central counties of the state. He has taken a keen interest in the commercial life of Staples ever since first coming here and has done much to advance its best interests along legitimate lines.

John D. Marlin was married on May 18, 1898, to Etta O. Tull, an accomplished young woman, born on May 15, 1877, in Aitkin, this state, and a graduate of the Staples high school. Mrs. Marlin has considerable talent as an artist, being quite accomplished in the use of the brush in oils, water colors and also as a decorator of fine china. Her talent, which was early recognized by her parents, was developed by private instruction, and she has demonstrated that she possesses far more than ordinary ability in this line.

Mrs. Marlin is a daughter of David K. and Sarah A. (Cornish) Tull, both natives of Wisconsin. David Tull has for many years been connected with the Northern Pacific railroad, first as station agent at Audubon ; later he was proprietor of a general store, at Aitkin, Minnesota, and he is now located at Minneapolis where he is freight agent at the north town transfer point of the Northern Pacific railroad.

Mr. and Mrs. Marlin have an interesting family of three children. Lois B., the eldest, born on January 14, 1900; John E., May 6, 1905, and Harry A., May 24, 1908. Both Mr. Marlin and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which he gives liberal support. In politics Mr. Marlin endorses the principles of the Republican party, he served his party one term as county commissioner, was at one time city clerk of Staples and is now justice of the peace, and in the discharge of the duties of these various offices, his actions have met with the hearty approval of his fellow citizens. Mr. Marlin is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, also the Modem Woodmen of America and the Royal Arcanum. By his honorable and upright course, Mr. Marlin has won the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens and he and his wife move in the best social circles, genuinely liked by a large number of friends.


Jones Palm
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Among the well-known business men of Eagle Bend, Todd county, Minnesota, is Jones Palm, the manager of the Eagle Bend Implement Company, of Eagle Bend.

Jones Palm was born on March 18, 1878, in Sweden, and is the son of John and Bertha Palm, who were natives of Sweden. The former was a farmer in his native land and served a term in the army. He came to America in 1881, and after landing in New York city traveled to Otter Tail county, Minnesota, where he purchased a homestead right from a Mr. Torgerson, comprising one hundred and sixty acres of wild land, a part of which was covered with timber. There was a log cabin on the farm. During the first year he was unable to raise a crop and the next year was able to plant only ten acres of wheat. He is now living on the same farm and has about eighty acres under cultivation. He became a naturalized American citizen many years ago. His log house was replaced by another log house and the second log house, subsequently, by a frame house, in which Mr. and Mrs. Palm are now living. They are not only engaged in general farming, but operate a dairy. Mr. and Mrs. John Palm were the parents of four children, John, Jr., Ole, Jones and Erick. Of these children, John, Jr., lives near Sisseton, South Dakota, where he is engaged in farming. His wife is Mary Palm and they have several children. Ole, who also lives near Sisseton, is married and has several children. Erick lives with his parents and manages the old homestead farm.

Jones Palm came to America with his parents, and received his education in Otter Tail county. He also attended the high school at Evansville, Minnesota, for two years and then was a student at the academy at Glenwood, Minnesota, graduating in the spring of 1900. Afterward, Mr. Palm taught school for three or four years.

Mr. Palm was married and was afterward employed by his father-in-law, A. G. Johnson, in a general store at Melby, Minnesota. After working for Mr. Johnson for five or six years, Mr. Palm was employed by the International Harvester Company as a traveling salesman and worked for them for two years. He moved to Eagle Bend in the spring of 1910 and took full charge of the Eagle Bend Implement Company as general manager, a position which he now holds.

The Eagle Bend Implement Company, which is incorporated under the laws of the state of Minnesota, was started in connection with the bank of Eagle Bend. The first stock was very small and incomplete. It was operated in connection with the bank until the bank was incorporated as a national bank. In February, 1898, a separate stock company was formed and the implement business incorporated as the Eagle Bend Implement Company with a capital of twenty-five thousand dollars. The first manager was W. A. Sleeper, who had charge a short time, when William Rodman succeeded him. Mr. Rodman was succeeded by Mr. Palm. The company now handles a complete line of lumber, building material, farm machinery, buggies, wagons, harness, coal and wood. The company is agent for the Ford automobile, the John Deere and International Harvester Companies' farm implements and the De Laval cream separator.

Jones Palm was married on October 26, 1901, to Eleonora Johnson, who was born in Douglas county, Minnesota, August 30, 1883, and who is the daughter of A. G. and Sigrid Johnson, the former of whom was born in Sweden. Mrs. Sigrid Johnson was born in Norway. They were pioneers in Douglas county, Minnesota, and were farmers in their earlier days. Later they engaged in the mercantile business at Melby, Minnesota, and Mr. Johnson is still actively engaged in this business. Mrs. Johnson died a few years ago, at the age of forty-five years. They were the parents of ten children, two of whom are living at Eagle Bend, Joseph and Eleonora, now Mrs. Palm. Joseph is employed by Mr. Palm in the implement business. Mrs. Palm received her education in Douglas county and made her home with her parents until her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Palm have four children, Hugo, Evelina, Eldora and Howard.

Mr. Palm is a Republican in politics and was a member of the village council for one year. He and his wife are members of the Swedish Lutheran church and Mr. Palm is treasurer of the church board. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and has served as junior deacon for two terms.

Jones Palm was a member of the Fourteenth Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, during the Spanish-American War. This regiment was reserved for the Havana campaign, but the war ended before the regiment was called to the front. Mr. Palm was mustered out at St. Paul in November, 1898.

Jones Palm is a successful business man, a popular citizen and enjoys the confidence of many friends in this part of Todd county.


John C. Perkins
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

One of the most progressive and up-to-date newspapers in Todd county Minnesota, is the Bertha Herald, of which John C. Perkins is editor and publisher. Mr. Perkins is a successful newspaper man, who was trained in the office of his father and brother, and not only is he successful as a newspaper owner, editor and publisher, but he is likewise prominent as a citizen and before coming to Todd county served in different positions of trust and responsibility in the state of Dakota, where he was then living.

John C. Perkins is a native of Newchester township, Adams county, Wisconsin, where he was born on March 14, 1870. He is the son of Lewis S. and Martha (McClyman) Perkins, who are now living retired in the state of South Dakota. They have seven children, Fannie O., Sarah L., Lewis W., Lucretia R., John C., Charles A. and Roy W.

John C. Perkins was educated in the public schools of Westfield, Wisconsin, and attended the high school at that place for a time, although he was not a graduate. In 1886 he immigrated to the territory of Dakota, now the state of South Dakota, and worked in the newspaper shop of his father and brother, Lewis W., which they owned and were then operating. After remaining with his father and brother in the print shop until the fall of 1896, Mr. Perkins became a candidate for clerk of the court of Roberts county, South Dakota, and was elected to the office. He took charge of the office on January 1, 1897, and two years later was re-elected to a second term, serving until January 1. 1903. Afterward Mr. Perkins engaged in the abstract business, but six months later was appointed by Gov. S. H. Elrod to the responsible position of commissioner of insurance of South Dakota. Mr. Perkins held this position until October, 1906, when he resigned and engaged in the general real-estate and insurance business at Sisseton, South Dakota. Until the winter of 1914, Mr. Perkins was engaged in the real-estate business at that place, but in 1914 came to Bertha, Minnesota, and purchased the Bertha Herald, from W. H. Hansen. The Bertha Herald is a live, up-to-date weekly newspaper and has a very satisfactory circulation in Bertha and adjoining townships.

John C. Perkins was married on June 18, 1892, to Lillian P. Perkins, who was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota. She moved with her parents to Dakota when a small child and was educated in the public schools of South Dakota, making her home with her parents until her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins have two children. Clifford R. and J. Basil, both of whom are graduates of the high school. Clifford R. is also a graduate of the Mankato Business College, at Mankato, Minnesota.

John C. Perkins is prominent in the Masonic circles of Todd county. He is a member of the blue lodge No. 131, at Sisseton, South Dakota; the chapter; the commandery; and Yelduz Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at Aberdeen, South Dakota. In the blue lodge, Mr. Perkins is a past worshipful master.


William Rodman
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Among the best-known citizens of Eagle Bend, Todd county, Minnesota, and among the most prosperous business men and bankers of Todd county, is William Rodman, who is a native of Goodhue county, Minnesota, where he was born on April 10, 1868.

Mr. Rodman is the son of Martin and Mary Pauline (Morris) Rodman, the former of whom was a well-known citizen of New York, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota, a farmer and school teacher by occupation and a veteran of the Civil War. He was born in Schoharie county, New York, May 25, 1832. Martin Rodman was the son of Asa and Oliver (Culver) Rodman, who were natives of Massachusetts. After their marriage, Asa and Oliver Rodman settled in Schoharie county, New York, where they remained during their entire lives, and where they were engaged in farming. Asa Rodman died in 1842 and his wife, Olive (Culver) Rodman, died in December, 1880, at the age of ninety years. They were the parents of fifteen children, thirteen of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, were married and had children of their own.

Martin Rodman was educated in the rural schools of New York state, and when sixteen years old entered the Schoharie Academy, studying there for eighteen months. Afterward he was engaged in ship building in New York city for one and one-half years and then returned to his home, teaching school the next winter in Schoharie county. During the following summer he worked at the carpenter's trade, and in the fall entered the New York Conference Seminary where he was a student for one year. He then made a trip to Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois and during the winter of 1853-54, taught school in the state of Illinois,. In the summer of 1854, he worked at the carpenter's trade at Lockport, Illinois, after which he obtained a position on the Illinois Central railroad with headquarters at Chicago. In 1854 he enlisted in the regular army and after having served one enlistment was discharged and returned to Chicago where he remained one winter. Afterward he made a trip to Wisconsin and followed the carpenter's trade during the summers of 1859 and 1860.

In April, 1861, Martin Rodman enlisted in the Second Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served until June 27, 1863, when he received an honorable discharge at Philadelphia. He participated during the first term of his service in the first and second battles of Bull Run and spent a week in fighting along the Rappahannock. Mr. Rodman was wounded in the second battle of Bull Run and, as a result of his wounds, was confined in the hospital at Washington, D. C, and in a hospital at Philadelphia for ten months. Subsequently, he was detailed for provost duty and remained at Camac's Woods hospital until discharged. After his discharge he returned to New York state and taught school during the winter of 1863-64. He then took up the study of medicine during the summer of 1864 and the winter of 1864-65 and the summer of 1865. In the fall of 1864, however, he had enlisted in the Veteran Reserve Corps and was discharged in November of the following year, afterward he took a trip to Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin and in the spring of 1866 settled in Goodhue county, Minnesota, where he farmed for nine years.

Upon leaving Goodhue county, Martin Rodman moved to Red Wing, Minnesota, and there engaged in the grocery business, but in 1881 sold out and moved to Todd county, Minnesota, purchasing a farm in Reynolds township, where he farmed for several years. In 1885 he retired from the farm and moved to Long Prairie. Minnesota, where he lived until his death on March 10, 1904.

Mrs. Mary Rodman was also a native of New York state and lived at home with her parents in that state until her marriage. She is now living at Long Prairie and has three children, William, Fred and Bert. The late Martin Rodman was a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Grand Army of the Republic, Mr. and Mrs. Rodman were married on October 3, 1866. Mrs. Rodman, before her marriage, was Mary Pauline Morris, the daughter of David and Sally (Millington) Morris.

Born and reared in Goodhue county, Minnesota, William Rodman was educated at Red Wing, Minnesota, and after completing the common branches entered the high school at the age of twelve years but as his parents moved to Todd county in 1881 he was unable to finish the course there and only attended that high school for a little less than one year. While his parents were living on the farm he attended district school and when they moved to Long Prairie he attended that high school for about one year. After teaching in the district schools of his county for four terms he entered Beeman's Actual Business College, at Red Wing, Minnesota, graduating with the class of 1889. After that time he taught another term of school in the same county and then was employed in a general store owned by A. S. Strauss & Company, at Long Prairie, for one year.

On August 25, 1890, Mr. Rodman began work as bookkeeper for the Bank of Long Prairie and remained with that bank until May 5, 1892, when he moved to Eagle Bend, Minnesota, and became cashier of the Bank of Eagle Bend, an institution that had just started business at that place. This was a private bank with the Hon. William E. Lee as president and continued as such until 1902, when it was merged into the First National Bank of Eagle Bend. Mr. Rodman continued as cashier for a few years and was finally elected as vice-president and as such continued as the active head of the bank until September, 1911, when his health failed. Eleven months and ten days following this time he spent in a sanitarium at Waukesha, Wisconsin, and upon the advice of his physician decided to retire from active work in a bank and to live an out-of-door life. He then engaged in the fancy poultry business and commenced raising high-class Single and Rose-comb Rhode Island Red fowls until at the present time he has a large poultry plant with fine buildings, yards and equipment and with a large number of very high-class "Reds."

At the time that Mr. Rodman moved to Eagle Bend there was an opening for a large amount of business to be done in the purchase and sale of hard and soft cordwood, as the territory around Eagle Bend was heavily wooded, and there was a large demand for the wood for fuel in the western part of the state as well as in the states of North and South Dakota, so the bank engaged in the business of handling cordwood and bought and sold large quantities for a number of years. As the partners in the bank thought that there was also a good opening at Eagle Bend for a farm implement business they also engaged in that line for several years before the Bank of Eagle Bend was merged into the First National Bank. This business was also conducted under the name of the bank. At the time that the private bank was merged into the First National Bank the fuel and farm implement part of the business was taken over by the Eagle Bend Implement Company, a corporation, and all of the stock was taken by the original partners of the Bank of Eagle Bend. This corporation also engaged in the lumber business and is one of the most prominent business institutions in that place. Since its organization Mr. Rodman has been its secretary and treasurer and is still the vice-president of the bank although he is not now active in the management of either institution.

On July 2, 1893, William Rodman was married to Lizzie B. Abbott, who was born in Parkers Prairie township, Otter Tail county, Minnesota, on March 20, 1873, and who is a daughter of Benjamin F. and Mary (Crichton) Abbott. Benjamin F. Abbott and Mary Crichton were married on October 20, 1871, and lived on their homestead in Otter Tail county, Minnesota, until the spring of 1883, when they moved to the village of Eagle Bend and engaged in the mercantile business until his death in 1888. The Abbott store was the first one in Eagle Bend, and at the time, only two other families were living in the town. After her husband's death. Mrs. Abbott continued the business for several years and then retired and lived with her daughter, Mrs. Rodman, until her death on October 24, 1913.

Mr. Abbott was a widower at the time of his marriage to Mary Crichton and by a former marriage had five children, two of whom are now living, Edward, of Long Beach, California, and Albert, of Eagle Bend, Minnesota. Gilbert died when about fourteen years of age, Mary was married to L. P. Leech and died in 1888, and Lawrence died in infancy. To the second marriage of Mr. Abbott three children were born and are now living: Mrs. Lizzie B. Rodman and Andrew, of Eagle Bend, and Mrs. Evelyn M. Gilpin, of Osseo, Wisconsin. Mrs. Lizzie B. (Abbott) Rodman moved to Eagle Bend with her parents and was educated in that community. She taught school in Todd county for two years and made her home with her parents until her marriage in 1893.

Mr. and Mrs. William Rodman never had any children. William Rodman has been a life-long Republican but now aligns himself with the progressive element of that party. He has always taken a deep interest in the political affairs of the country and has helped in the organization work of his party. He has always taken a large interest in local public affairs and has been the secretary of the local school board, secretary of the Eagle Bend Commercial Club, secretary of the first volunteer tire department of Eagle Bend, a member of the village council for a number of terms and is now serving his fifth term as president of the village council, or mayor.

Mr. Rodman is now a director in the Minnesota branch of the Rhode Island Red Club of America and the superintendent of the poultry department of the Todd County Agricultural Society, or what is generally known as the Todd County Fair Association. For many years he was one of the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Eagle Bend. Mr. Rodman is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and has been the worthy advisor of Eagle Camp No. 3397, Modern Woodmen of America, and has been noble grand of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows lodge in Eagle Bend.


Alfred E. Roese
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Journalism is one of the most important factors in twentieth century life and exerts a profound influence upon all phases of society. The relation is just as profound and the influence just as great in the smaller cities and towns as in the larger cities. Among the newspaper men of Todd county, Minnesota, who have, by their progressive attitude towards local affairs, contributed in a very definite measure to the advancement of the community is Alfred E. Roese, a trained newspaper man, who, since September, 1914, has been the editor and proprietor of the Todd County Argus.

Alfred E. Roese was born on February 5, 1863, at Osceola, Polk county, Wisconsin, and is the son of Stephen and Catherine Roese, the former of whom was born at Whora, Hesse-Cassel, Germany, in July, 1829, and who, after serving in the German army from 1845 to 1856, came to America in 1856 and lived for a time in New York city. Mrs. Catherine Roese died at Osceola, Wisconsin, in December, 1865, when her son, Alfred E., was a lad of less than three years. Mr. Roese's father died at Maiden Rock, Wisconsin, in March, 1897. There were four children in the Roese family, Augustus, who resides at Plummer, in Red Lake county, Minnesota; Lizzie C. who is the wife of R. E. Smith, of Crookston, Polk county, Minnesota; Ina S., who is the wife of Lester Martin, of Oshkosh, Wisconsin; and Alfred E. Roese, the subject of this sketch.

Alfred E. Roese received his education in the common schools of Maiden Rock, Wisconsin, and, from 1895 to 1898, was employed as a civil engineer in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Washington, Oregon and Idaho. From 1889 to 1894 he conducted a restaurant at Maiden Rock, Wisconsin. In September, 1892, he launched the Press, at Maiden Rock, Wisconsin, and, in September, 1897, moved the plant to Osceola, Wisconsin, establishing the Sun, which he conducted until May, 1910. In that year, he sold out at Osceola and went to Oregon, but returned in the following September and purchased the Hudson (Wisconsin) Star-Observer. In 1912, he sold this paper and went to Oregon again. He returned in 1913, and purchased the Worthington (Minnesota) Globe, which he sold in September, of the same year, to A. M. Welles, of Sauk Center, Stearns county. In September, 1914, Mr. Roese purchased the Todd County Argus and has published it ever since.

Alfred E. Roese was married in January, 1899, to Lizzie M. Bowers, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Rowers, of Maiden Rock, Wisconsin. Mrs. Roese's father, John Bowers, was born in Germany, July 5, 1833, and her mother in 1850, in Canada. They were the parents of three daughters and two sons, Mrs. Nellie A. Holstrom, of Lake, Minnesota; Mrs. Lizzie M. Roese, the wife of the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Sayde Hagg, of Gully, Polk county; Dr. J. T., of Gully; and Dr. H. E., of St. Paul, Minnesota.

For the past twenty-one years, Alfred E. Roese has been a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows since 1886. Mrs. Roese is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the Daughters of Rebekah. Mr. and Mrs. Roese are prominent in Long Prairie and highly respected by all who know them.


J. H. Sheets
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 697; transcribed by FoFG mz

Sheets, J. H., journalist, b. in Randolph county, Ind., in 1848; was graduated at Ridgeville College, 1872; came to Minnesota, and was superintendent of schools in Todd county; published the Todd County Argus, and later the Big Stone County Herald; resided in Ortonville.


John Wait
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Among the most prominent citizens of Long Prairie, Todd county, Minnesota, who are now gone from this world and whose work is finished, is the late John Wait, a member of the Minnesota Legislature for one term, the register of deeds in Todd county for three consecutive terms and a prominent business man of Todd county.

John Wait was born on December 8, 1841, in Canada, and was the son of Alexander and Euphemia (Colburn) Wait, who were natives of Scotland. They emigrated to Canada in pioneer times and settled in Kent, where Alexander Wait was a ship carpenter. He died in 1872, leaving two children, John, the subject of this sketch, and Anna, who is now Mrs. George Gray, of Dodge county, Minnesota.

John Wait remained in his native land until twelve years old. During this period of his life he attended the excellent common schools. When he was twelve years old he moved to Detroit, Michigan, where he remained for two years. He then went to the northern shores of Lake Huron, where, for the next five years, he was engaged in fishing. In 1862 he moved to Minnesota and settled in Minneapolis. Shortly thereafter he enlisted in the Sixth Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served until 1865, receiving an honorable discharge in August of that year. He participated in the battle of Wood Lake and was with both of the Sibley expeditions. While on one of these expeditions he was an eye-witness to a most singular phenomenon. A soldier was killed by lightning from what appeared to be a perfectly cloudless sky. Mr. Wait also took part in the expedition from New Orleans to Mobile and was engaged in the last battle of the war, the battle of Blakely, in May, 1865. After the close of the war, Mr. Wait moved to Todd county, Minnesota, and located in Hartford township, where he took up land, upon which he later proved up. After residing in Hartford township for five years he moved to the village of Long Prairie and engaged in the general mercantile business, in partnership with Chandler & Fisher.

After some ten or twelve years, Mr. Wait, who in the meantime had been engaged in the grain business, purchased Mr. Fisher's interest and continued in partnership with Mr. Chandler for about one year. He then purchased a flouring-mill and operated it thereafter for a period of thirty-five years.

On October 29, 1871, John Wait was married to Emily Chandler, a native of Indiana and the daughter of Silas P. and Lydia (Smith) Chandler, the former of whom was born on April 7, 1825, at Watertown, Washington county, Ohio, where he lived until twelve years old. At that time, Silas P. Chandler moved with his parents to Randolph county, Indiana, and settled on a farm in Jackson township, which was then considered a frontier settlement. He was one of eight children and was left fatherless at the age of fifteen years. Upon him fell much of the care and responsibility which naturally belongs to the head of the family. At the early age of nineteen years, he was married to Lydia Smith, and to them were born four daughters, one of whom died in infancy, and another at the age of thirteen. The two living daughters were Melissa, who married Jacob Fisher, and Emily, who married John Wait, the subject of this sketch.

In 1863 Mr. Chandler and family moved to Olmstead county, Minnesota, where he remained four years, after which he moved to Sauk Center, in 1867. There he opened a general store and in 1868 brought his stock of goods to Long Prairie, where he laid the foundation of a prosperous business in partnership with Jacob Fisher. Two or three years afterward the firm became known as Chandler, Fisher & Wait. For many years this has been one of the leading institutions in Todd county. When Mr. Chandler came to Long Prairie, there was but one family, that of Mr. Vennewitz. He became a member of the Baptist church and was an active member until the time of his death. For a time he was a member of the state missionary board. He was always a stanch supporter of temperance reform, and in his early manhood participated in the anti-slavery agitation. He was on the side of the persecuted race and once submitted to a fine rather than fulfill the duties of a township office to which he had been elected. He refused to take an oath to support the constitution of his state, since it prohibited giving aid and comfort to fugitive slaves. He participated in all movements for the promotion of moral, educational and religious enterprise, and in this community was an active, thorough-going and unostentatious helper. He died on January 18, 1885.

To Mr. and Mrs. John Wait were born nine children, five of whom are living. The names of the children, in the order of their births, are as follow: Melvin S., who died at the age of twenty; Florence X., who is the wife of C. H. Henderson and lives at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Robert C., who lives at home and operates the home farm; he served in the Spanish-American War and was a member of Company K, Fourteenth Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, later re-enlisting in Company C. Forty-fifth Regiment, United States Infantry, and served in the Philippine Islands; Margaret, who is the wife of E. S. Boyd, of Alburg, Vermont; John R., who is a resident of Great Falls, Montana; Nell E., who is a teacher in Virginia; Paul C. who died in 1911; and two who died in infancy.

John Wait was elected to the Minnesota Legislature in 1876 and served one term in the house. From 1894 to 1900 he was register of deeds in Todd county, having been elected three consecutive times. He was a Republican in politics, but was always broad-minded and liberal to all who saw different than he regarding political matters. In 1901 he engaged in the real estate business at Long Prairie and was still engaged in this business at the time of his death, May 14. 1903.

John Wait was not only a man of great ability, but he was a man who used his ability in behalf of all good things. He was possessed of remarkable courage and did not hesitate to express his opinion frankly, though he was broad-minded and tolerant. He lived a noble life during his many years in this community and performed many worthy deeds which will long endure in the annals of this county.

Todd County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails