Watonwan County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group
Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy


Caleb D. Ash
[Source: Minneapolis Journal (MN) July 14, 1898] mkk

Madelia, Minn., July 14. - Caleb D. Ash, one of Madelia's oldest settlers, and one of her wealthiest men, died yesterday. The immediate cause of death was hemorrhage of the kidneys. He was a prominent Odd Fellow, and will be buried by the local lodge. S. W. Danforth, aged 67 years, also an early resident of Madelia, is dead.

Bert Bailey
Source: Aberdeen Daily News (SD) Feb. 24, 1899; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Mrs. E. M. Hall has received word that the body of her brother, Bert Bailey, who lost his life in Cuba, will shortly be received at La Crosse for burial. Mrs. Hall's mother, who now resides at Madelia, Minn., will go to La Crosse to attend the funeral. The deceased was at one time a resident of Aberdeen and during his stay here clerked for John H. Firey.

Julius Bernard Boxrud
Source: Billings (MT) Gazette, December 15, 1972; contributed by Lindsay.

Lovell, Wyo.- Julius Bernard Boxrud, 89, died Wednesday in the North Big Horn Hospital. He was born October 14, 1883 in Mankato, Minnesota, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Mads Boxrud. He had lived in Big Horn County for 53 years. He was a retired city worker. He married Delilia Bavix September 30, 1943 in Billings. He was a member of the Lovell I.O.O.F. Lodge and the Oddfellows Encampment in Powell.

Survivors include the widow; three daughters, Mrs. Luella Wagner of Lovell and Mrs. Bernadine Jones, both of Lovell, and Mrs. Ione George of Casper; two step-daughters, Mrs. Lucille Hopster of Worland, and Mrs. Ruby Henson of Lovell; a step-son, Jack Davis, of Bethel Island, Calif.; a sister, Mrs. Emma Bentall of Minneapolis, Minn.; 17 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren.

Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday in the Lovell United Methodist Church, with Rev. Howard P. Hunter officiating. Burial will be in the Lovell Cemetery. Haskell Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

Another Source:

Source: Lovell Chronicle, December 1972; contributed by Lindsay.

Funeral services held Saturday for Julius Bernard Boxrud Funeral Services were held last Saturday, Dec. 16, for Julius Bernard Boxrud, 89, who died Dec. 13 at North Big Horn hospital after an illness for several weeks. Boxrud was born Oct. 14, 1883 in Mankato, Minn. to Mr. and Mrs. Mads Boxrud, and had been a Big Horn county resident for 53 years. He married Marie Gill at Lewistown, Mont. Jan. 29, 1917 and she preceded him in death, as did one daughter, Caryl. He married Delilia Davis Sept 30, 1943 in Billings. He was a member of the Lovell IOOF Lodge and the Odd Fellows Encampment of Powell. He is survived by his wife, three daughters, Mrs. Luella Wagner and Mrs. Bernadine Jones, both of Lovell and Mrs. Ione George of Casper; three stepchildren, Jack Davis of Bethel Island, Calif., Mrs. Lucille Hopster of Worland and Mrs. Ruby Hansen of Lovell; and one sister Emma Bentall of Minneapolis, 17 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. Services were in the United Methodist church with Rev. Howard Hunter officiating and burial in the Lovell cemetery. Haskell Funeral Home was in charge of the arrangements.

Susie (Thompson) Boxrud
Source: Madelia Times Messenger, January, 24, 1908, pg 5; contributed by Lindsay.

Just as we go to press we learn of the rather sudden death of Mrs. Susie Boxrude, which occurred at her home in Rosendale at 6 o'clock, Wednesday morning. She had been troubled more or less with her heart for about a year, but on Wednesday morning she received a sudden attack which resulted in her death. She leaves three grown children. Funeral services will be held at the Rosendale school house at 11 o'clock tomorrow morning.

Mrs. Peter Brenneis
Source: Madelia Times Messenger (26 January 1906) pg. 1  - submitted by Bradley Thomas

Death of Mrs. Brenneis - Good Old Lady passes to Her Eternal Reward Last Tuesday. 
After a lingering illness of several years, which, however, was not considered serious until a day or two before her death, Mrs. Peter A. Brenneis succumbed to the inevitable last Tuesday afternoon at about 12:30 0'clock. Her maiden name was Mayer, and she was born at Regensburg, Bavaria on Feb, 1st 1833. In 1864 she was married at Cincinnati, Ohio, to John Hoffman, and to this union there was born one child, John J. Hoffman, who now resides at Kent, Minnesota. Her husband was accidentally killed while painting a wheel-house on a steamboat at Cincinnati. In 1873 she was married to her late husband, Peter A. Brenneis at Cincinnati, and in the spring of the year following they moved to Madelia, where they have ever since made their home. Deceased was a good Christian woman and a member of the German Lutheran Church. During her long residence here she has made many warm friends who firmly trust that her passing from among them is only the beginning of a brighter and unending life in the realms of eternal bliss. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Messerli, of the Fieldon German Lutheran Church, at her late residence in the south part of town, at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon . The grief stricken husband and son have the sympathy of the entire community.

John Burns
Source: Warren Sheaf (Jan. 12, 1881) submitted by fofg mb

A young man named John Burns (whose father lives at Lake Washington, Le Sueur County) a blacksmith by trade, who has been in the employ of J.S. Aldritt, at St. James, for about six weeks, was found dead upon the forge with his face in the fire, burned to a coal.

Schuyler Hale Burton
[Source: Webster City Freeman (Webster City, IA) March 17, 1919] mkk
Schuyler Hale Burton was born near Somerset, Ky., Feb. 23, 1886, and died March 8, 1919, at Williams, Iowa. Besides his wife, he leaves two sisters and three brothers - Mrs. James Baaz of Deland, Ill.; Miss Lizzie Burton, Nancy, Ky.; Zeal of Butterfield, Minn., and Fred and Veo of Nancy, Ky. The deceased, who passed away after a short illness with influenza, had made many warm friends since his stay in this community. He was a kind and loving husband and an honest, sincere, industrious man who will be missed by all who knew him Mr. Burton was laid to rest in the Williams cemetery after services conducted by Rev. Jecklin Thursday. Our hearts go out in sympathy to the wife left among strangers by the death of her husband, although Mrs. Burton feels that everyone has been most kind all during this sad time and is very grateful for it.

Mrs. T. B. Church
[Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Monday, September 25, 1905] mkk

MADELIA, Minn.-Mrs. (Grandma) T. B. Church died from pneumonia, having retired at night apparently as well as ever, and passing away peacefully early the next morning. She was widely known in this section and at Garden City, where she once resided.

Arthur Crandall
[Source: Evening News (Sault Ste Marie, MI) Jan. 9, 1903] mkk
Madelia, Minn., Jan. 9. - Arthur Crandall, aged nineteen, was found frozen to death in a straw pile toady. Returning from a neighbor's on the night of the blizzard he lost his way and after wandering four miles in a wrong direction lay down and was frozen to death.

Charles Danforth
[Source: The Saint Paul Globe (MN) December 27, 1878] mkk
The body of Charles Danforth was taken to Madelia, Minn., yesterday by his parents, where it will be interred.

W. R. Estes
[Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Dec. 14, 1905] mkk

John Bingham of the Two Harbors Iron Trade Journal, arrived in Duluth yesterday from New York. He went there to meet the remains of the late W. R. Estes, United States consul to Solingen, Germany, and accompany them to the home in Madelia, Minn. The late Mr. Estes was part owner of the Iron Trade Journal.

Guy Finch
[Source: Virginia Enterprise (MN) February 27, 1914] mkk

Death Writes "Thirty on Career of Brilliant Young Newspaper Man.

Guy Finch, one of the best known newspaper men in Northern Minnesota, died yesterday morning at his home in Fond du lac, suburb of Duluth. He had been ill of tuberculosis about eight months. He was well known in Virginia.

Mr. Finch went to Duluth from Grand Rapids, Minn., about three years ago and took a position in the editorial department of the Duluth News tribune. During the time he worked for that newspaper he held nearly every position of responsibility on the staff. Mr. Finch was Northwest and range editor of the paper when he was forced to give up the work he loved on account of failing health. Before taking charge of this department he had been assistant city editor, telegraph editor and commercial and business editor.

Among the big assignments covered by Mr. Finch were the special session of the state legislature a year and a half ago, the street car strike in Duluth, the last state political campaign and numerous other important events that gave the brilliant young writer an opportunity to demonstrate his ability.

And Guy Finch never failed to "cover" an assignment.

When he began his career as a newspaper man on a small weekly in Southern Minnesota some years ago, he announced that he was "Going to stay by the game until I win." He won. Some of the biggest stories ever written in the Northwest were the efforts of Mr. Finch. Perhaps the public didn't know the name of the writer, but, his stories were appreciated. The boys who worked with Guy knew who "turned in the copy," however, and he was admired for his energy and his ability to obtain the news where men of more experience could not produce results.

Guy Finch never complained. If he worked until 4 a.m. and was called out on an assignment two hours later it always was the same cheerful, whistling "Sinbad" - that's what the boys called him - that turned in the story.

Mr. Finch's ambition and his love for the newspaper game undoubtedly hastened his death. He seemed the happiest when he was working the hardest in a dingy, stuffy, editorial room, with the city editor's sarcastic call for "copy," ringing in his ears continually. The work began to tell on his health long before Guy ever thought of putting the "thirty" mark at the bottom of his last story.

If a reporter or a desk man wanted a day off, it was Guy Finch who usually offered to relieve him. Every man on the staff was his friend.

Mr. Finch was born in Des Moines, May 22, 1887. March 5, last year, he was married to May Stanely, a well known newspaper woman then on the staff of the News Tribune. Their married life was the culmination of a newspaper romance. Surviving Mr. Finch are his widow, and his mother, a brother and sister, of Butterfield, Minn.
- C. G. B.

Henry L. Frisbey
Source: "Henry Republican", Henry IL (April 15, 1915) - submitted by Nancy Piper

Who Passed From This Life At Madelia, Minn., on March 31.
The Madelia (Minn.) Messenger informs us that Henry L. Frisbey passed from this life at the hospital at St. Peter, Wednesday evening, March 31, 1915, and the remains were taken to Madelia for burial at noon April 2. The funeral services were held from his late home at 2 o'clock the following day, conducted by Rev. Goodell of the M. E. church, and the remains laid to rest in the Riverside cemetery.
Deceased was born at Henry, Ill., Feb. 10, 1848, and was married in that city. About 28 years ago he moved to Nebraska, and eight years later came to Madelia and located on a farm in Riverdale township. Eight years ago he bought a farm in Cass county, upon which he lived until he came to Madelia about two years ago. Mr. Frisbey lost the sight of one of his eyes about six years ago and last December following an operation at Mankato, he lost the sight of the other eye, rendering him totally blind. Some time ago his mind weakened, and only last week he was committed to the hospital at St. Peter.
The devoted wife, one son L. L. Frisbey of Luverne, Minn., and two daughters, Mrs. Robert Wood and Mrs. Preston Keyser of Philip, S. D., and two sisters, Mrs. W. H. Borland of Madelia and Mrs. Eliza Culver of Kansas, are left to mourn his loss. Mr. Frisbey was born on the Frisbey farm, three and a half miles northwest of Henry (Illinois), now the property of the estate of the late C. R. Jones estate, which was one of the first farms opened in this section, locating in 1835, some 80 years ago. His boyhood days were spent here until after his marriage to a sister of the wife of Guy Forrest. He was one of eight children. For a number of years he has shipped car-loads of potatoes to Henry and sold them at a profit, his last shipment being last fall. Mr. Frisbey was a farmer by occupation, an industrious and honorable man, and his death at the age of 67 is truly a sorrow. His mother died many years ago, but his father was over 91 years of age at death. The family and sisters have our sympathy in this sad time of sorrow.

April 15, 1915
The Mallary-Frisbey Families
[Submitted by Nancy Piper]
In the death of Henry Frisbey, whose obituary appears elsewhere, we are reminded of the passing of the second generation of the pioneer families of this vicinity. His father, Loton Frisbey, located in this section when settlers were sparse, and wild game and the Indians were still roaming this part of the great state. His mother was a Mallary - Rhoda Mallary, sister of Hiram, Page and George Mallary, and a sister Lodema, a family of pioneer residents of this vicinity of the early '30's. Hiram owned a considerable tract of land in a body, of which the Daniel Harney estate was a part; Page Mallary owned the farm known as the John Kapraun homestead in Whitefield township; George owned a farm just east of the Frisbey farm; Sylvanus Mallary also owned a farm between lands belonging to Hiram and Page. Page was the first blacksmith to erect a shop at his farm and conduct shoeing and repairing of plows and machinery for a wide territory. Later the families of these three brothers moved elsewhere, Hiram to Chicago, page to Waukegan and George to Henry county.
Loton Frisbey, who built a farm house on his farm, 75 years ago, constructed it well, which is the only landmark still standing as a monument of 'ye olden tyme'. Of course primitive in appearance as dwellings are built now, but still inhabitable for tenants. Mr. Frisbey's family consisted of eight children, six of whom reached maturity, were married and had sons and daughters. They were all prominent young people, taking active parts in the local life of the community. As the family was known by many of our readers a brief allusion to the Frisbey children may interest them. Amanda was married three times - to Watson Cook, George Bonham and A. C. Putnam; Emeline married twice, Wm. Moore, and at his death Horace Spencer, Mrs. Rosella Herr of Whitefield, being a daughter of this latter marriage; Eliza is the wife of Edwin Culver, residing in Kansas, but an invalid, having been confined to her bed the past five years. Alvira is the wife of W. H. Borland, residing at Maderia, Minn., hearty and well at 71; Hiram was an apprentice at the printing business with the writer in 1854-55 at La Salle, but as the vocation did not appeal to his liking, he abandoned it for farming, which he followed until his death in Minnesota some years ago; Henry has followed to the spiritual world, leaving only the two sisters mentioned elsewhere. Many of the families' acquaintances still linger, and remember the family with respect and affection, reminded of the early day associations.

Mrs. Arthur Goozey
[Source: The Dickinson Press (Dickinson, DT) April 1, 1916] mkk
Mrs. Arthur Goozey of Marsh, Mont., passed away at the local hospital Tuesday shortly after midnight. Mrs. Goozey was sick at the hospital since last October. She submitted to two operations during that time and for a while seemed gradually improving until about a week ago when she began to sink rapidly.

Deceased was 27 years old and came out with her husband and family from Butterfield, Minn., about two years ago to take up residence on their homestead near Marsh. She leaves besides her husband a daughter, Marie, aged eight years, and a son, Arthur, Jr., two years younger. Her husband and his mother were with her during the last moments.

The body was taken Thursday afternoon to her old home at Butterfield, where her folks reside and where interment was to be made. Mrs. Goozey was an old time friend of Mrs. Adolph Jauss of this city, the two having known each other from little girls up and then finally losing track of each other until the latter, by mere chance, discovered her old acquaintance at the hospital s short while ago.

Mrs. Marit Holey
[Source: Aberdeen Daily News (Aberdeen, SD) Wednesday, May 25, 1894] mkk

Madelia, Minn., May 25.-Mrs. Marit Holey died at this place, aged nearly 104 years. She was born in Lesja, Norway, in 1790. Until about one month ago she was able to be up and about, and has always enjoyed good health.

Thomas Jorsted
[Source: Evening Times-Republican (Marshalltown, IA) March 5, 1908] mkk

Thomas Jorsted, Killed at Ford Dodge, Former Story County Resident.
Fort Dodge, March 5. - Relatives of Thomas Jorsted, the man who was killed by a fall from a platform on South Fifth street Saturday night, came to the city to take charge of the remains. They left yesterday for Story City, where the funeral was held to-day.

The relatives who arrived in the city early are his two brothers, John of Clarion, and Ole of Butterfield, Minn. Ole Jorsted is accompanied by his daughter Bertha.

Thomas Jorsted was born in La Salle county, Illinois, in 1869 and died Saturday night from a broken neck, aged 39 years. He lived for twenty-two years in Story City and one year ago went to Clarion. He came to this city about two months ago and went to work as a kiln-burner, working nights at the plant of the Kalo Brick and Tile Company at Kalo. He was unmarried.

In conversation with a brother, a reporter was told that the deceased had always borne a good reputation, both in Story City and in Clarion. The brother said that Jorsted was very easily led and that any situations into which he fell did not result because of deliberate wrong doing, but because of outside influences.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Klocow and Five Children
[Source: Morning Oregonian (Portland, OR) Sept. 6, 1921] mkk

Ex-Cashier of Bank Kills Wife and Five Children.
Murderer Then Commits Suicide and Bodies of All are Found in Bed by Neighbor.

ORMSBY, Minn., Sept. 5. - A family of seven - the father, mother and five children - were found shot to death in their home here today, apparently the victims of the father, Frank Klocow, a business man.

The bodies were discovered shortly after 4 P. M., but the coroner expressed the belief that they met their death yesterday morning.

Besides Mr. and Mrs. Klocow, the dead are Fred Klocow, 16; Myrtle, 14; Glen, 12; Oliver, 10, and Leland, 3. All had been shot as they lay in bed and there were indications an anesthetic had been used beforehand. The revolver was found under Klocow's left arm. Coroner Thompson, after an investigation, declared Klocow had killed his family and then himself.

Kloclow was 49 years old, and until six weeks ago was cashier of the Farmers' State bank of Ormsby, but resigned. He had refused to give the bank officials a reason for his resignation, They declared his accounts were satisfactory.

When Mrs. Albert Strelow went to the Klocow home today on an errand, she found pinned to the back door a note reading "walk in." Entering she saw Myrtle lying on a cot. Glancing into the adjoining bedroom, she saw Klocow in bed apparently asleep. In bed also were Mrs. Klocow and Leland. The three older boys were found in their beds upstairs.

On the floor were 10 exploded cartridges and in the five chambers of the revolver, were two exploded and three unexploded cartridges.

Neighbors and other friends could give no possible reason for the shooting.

Joseph Lassas
Source: Elkhart Daily Review (IN) May 30, 1901; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Madelia, Minn., May 30. - Joseph Lassas, a farmer living west of here, was burned to death in a log house; probably suicide while insane.

Silas Locke
Source:  the Henry Republican (IL) May 26, 1881- submitted by Nancy Piper

Died at ST. James Minn., May 23, Silas Locke, 37, brother of Mrs. E. Hutchins of this city.
Silas H. Locke of St. James, Minn., had been very sick for some time, and a few days ago was thought to be at death's door. His venerable mother, Mrs. John Locke was sent for, who arrived safe, and who writes that Mr. Locke's condition has improved though she thinks he is not entirely out of danger. Later intelligence is to the effect that he died on Monday last. He leaves a family which will sadly miss a husband and father. His age was about 37.

Anton A. Lunde
[Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Jan. 6, 1907] mkk

Madelia, Minn., Jan. 5. - Anton A. Lunde, 53 years old, residing in this village, committed suicide Wednesday by hanging. The deceased had been despondent and melancholy for a few days and was in the habit of locking himself in his room upstairs.

Wednesday forenoon about 10:30 o'clock he went to his room. His failure to respond to the call for dinner was not thought strange, and he was called to supper and again failed to come, and after supper an investigation was made, the locked door broken in and his body found hanging with the feet touching the floor.

Deceased was born in Norway and had been in this country and town about 25 years. He is survived by a widow and three children.

Mary Mahoney
Source: New Ulm Review (MN) Nov., 1892; transcribed by Robin Line
While Driving Out From Madelia to her School in Linden.

The news was telegraphed to the dailies from Mankato on Saturday that Mary Mahoney of that city had been killed in a runaway near Madelia. The special goes on to state that she was driving out from Madelia to a school in Linden where she was engaged as a teacher and that the team ran away, throwing her out of the buggy, crushing her skull and killing her instantly.

Ole E. Lundberg, of Linden, is a juror at this term of court and comes disfigured with several cuts on the side of his head and one over the ear. Lundberg drove the runaway team that caused the death of Miss Mahoney at Madelia last Friday. He says all of the tugs became unhitched from the buggy which allowed the neck yoke to drop to the ground; the buggy struck the horses and they became unmanageable. Lundberg was pulled over the dashboard under the horses heels, striking the hard ground on his head and this was the last he knew of the accident until he regained consciousness half an hour later. Miss Mahoney was in the buggy when he went over the dashboard. Had she remained in the buggy two or three minutes longer she would have escaped unhurt as the buggy stopped when the horses became loose from it. Miss Mahoney was well liked by everyone. She boarded at Lundberg's and he had been to the train to meet her and take her to her school to commence Monday. She was returning from Mankato where she had been spending the Christmas holidays with her parents.

Caroline Moe
[Source: Willmar Tribune (MN) October 11, 1911] mkk

Death entered the home of Knute Kloster Wednesday morning at 9:30 and took away Caroline Moe, a sister of Mrs. Kloster. She has for a long time been making her home with her sister, who has tenderly cared for her in times of illness.

Caroline Moe was born June 26, 1874 at Stavanger, Norway. She is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Knute Kloster, a resident of Green Lake township, Mrs. Bratland of Butterfield, Minn., and Mrs. Christ Thorvig, of Stanley, N. D., and one brother, Ole Moe, a large number of relatives and a host of friends.

The funeral will be held next Friday afternoon at one o'clock from the Kloster home and later in the Green Lake church, the funeral services conducted by Rev. I. A. Johanson. - Green Lake Breeze.

William Wallace Murphy
[Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Aug. 21, 1904] mkk
Death of Capt. William Wallace Murphy Occurs at Madelia, Minn.

Madelia, Minn., Aug. 20. - Capt. William Wallace Murphy, who led the seven men that captured the notorious Younger brothers in the latters' attempt to escape from the Northfield raid, died here to-day.

When the Younger brothers were sought on Sept. 21, 1876, Capt. Murphy was the spirit of the posse of pursuers. Only through his fearless leadership, it is asserted by persons who best know, the surrender of the bank robbers was accomplished. The Youngers, too, joined in this eulogy to the captain's bravery. When they saw him fording and refording the creek, calling his followers from places of safety, the Youngers knew that their most timely act would be to kill him in order to defeat inevitable capture.

They fired upon him, one bullet breaking a pipe in his pocket, but they did not turn him from his purpose. He advanced upon them, rallying seven brave men of his party. A hand to hand fusillade occurred. Pitts was killed, and every member of the gang of fugitives was wounded. The fugitives surrender followed.

Capt. Murphy was born in Pennsylvania in 1839.

Edwin Nelson
[Source: The Saint Paul Globe (MN) July 27, 1886] mkk

MADELIA, Minn., July 26.-Edwin Nelson, 15 years old, son of N. P. Nelson, a miller, was drowned this forenoon at Watonwan. The body has been recovered.

Mrs. Patrick Osborne
[Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Aug. 18, 1906] mkk

Mother and Babe are Fatally Burned Near Madelia.

Madelia, Minn., Aug. 17. - Mrs. Patrick Osborne, aged 45 years, living on a farm six miles southeast of town, was fatally burned while pouring kerosene into a stove from a kerosene can. A 2-year-old baby daughter standing nearby was also fatally burned. As a result of the injuries the mother died at 7:30 blast evening and the child at midnight.

The deceased is survived by a husband and five children.

Helga Palmuson
Source: The Princeton union.(Princeton, Minn.), April 26, 1894

As a laborer was driving into the barn of Helga Palmuson, a mile from Madelia, he was struck by lightning and instantly killed. He had just had his life insured for $2,000.

Peter J. Rempel
[Source: The Bismarck Tribune (ND) March 8, 1920] mkk

Account of Last Rites for Peter J. Rempel of Interest of Friends Here.

The following account of the funeral services of the late Peter J. Rempel appearing in the Butterfield, Minn., paper, will be of interest to his many friends in this city:

Funeral services for Peter J. Rempel were held at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Rempel, and interment was made in the Bergthal cemetery. A large number of friends and neighbors from adjoining towns and the surrounding country gathered to pay their tribute of love to the deceased. The floral offerings were profuse, among them being gifts from the fraternity brothers, his wife's family and Minneapolis and local friends.

The boyhood of Peter J. Rempel was spent in his native village at tending the local school, later taking three years' work in Bethel college at Newton, Kan., and four years at the U. of M. At the time of his death he held state pharmacy license in Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana. June 11, 1918, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Kennan of Bismarck, N. D. and a few weeks later he left for France for oversea services where he remained for thirteen months, returning with the 88th division sometime in August, 1919, since which time he held a very responsible position with Liggett & Voegell, druggists, Minneapolis.

His death came as a shock to all who know him, since his friends had seen him only the preceding Sunday, and at that time here was no sign of any illness. His death occurred at the Swedish hospital Minneapolis and was due to a complication of labor pneumonia and acute nephritis. The remains were brought home by his brother Bernie. Both he and his father were present when the end came. His wife was so much affected by his death that physicians refused to let her take the journey here. Her mother and sister from Bismarck were with her in Minneapolis.

Peter was a young man of quiet unassuming manners but of sterling qualities and made lasting friends wherever he went. He had a bright future and his untimely death casts a gloom upon all who knew him. Besides his wife, he leaves his parents, two brothers and a sister.

August Severson
Source: St. Paul Daily Press (St. Paul, MN) Tuesday, August 17, 1869, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman. 

AUGUST SEVERSON died at Long Lake, Watonwan county, on Monday morning, at seven o'clock, from the effects of poison taken the morning previous.  Cause of the suicide, poverty and despondency.

Hans Thompson
Source: Madelia Messenger, January 18, 1901, pg 1; contributed by Lindsay.

Resident of Rosendale Passes Away at Advanced Age
Han Thompson died at his home in Rosendale Friday January 11, aged 87. Mr. Thompson who has lived in Rosendale for many years, was born in Nomedal Norway January 6, 1814, making him 87 years old the Sunday before his death. He came to this country in 1843 and settled in Iowa, moving to Watonwan county in 1866 where he resided up to the time of his death. Mr. Thompson is one of the most highly respected residents of the township in which he lived, he leaves to survive him his widow, two sons, and two daughters, on son and one daughter living in Rosendale, another daughter living in Madelia, Mrs. K. O. Jorgenson, and one son in Sioux City, Iowa. The funeral occurred Tuesday. The Serviced being conducted by the Rev. Thorkveen of St. James, the internment took place in the Rosendale cemetery.

Allie West and Infant
[Source: The Pioneer Express (Pembina, ND) April 23, 1920] mkk
Then Takes Own Life After Telephoning To Husband.
Butterfield, Minn. - Brooding over the physical defects of her two months old baby, Mrs. Allie West of this place shot and killed the infant and then turned the gun on herself, inflicting two bullet wounds, from which she died a few minutes later.

Mrs. West, according to the police, called her husband over the telephone, telling him to come home. She said, "something awful had happened."

Upon his arrival he found the mother lying on the floor, dead, with two bullet wounds in her chest, and in another room found the body of the baby. The baby had been shot twice.

Watonwan County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails