|Pipes, D. W.|
|HON. D.W. PIPES, one of the most extensive planters of East Feliciana parish, of which he is at present a representative, was born in 1845. He is a son of David and Amanda (Collins) Pipes, (nee Dunn), natives of Mississippi and South Carolina, respectively. David Pipes, Sr. was born in Adams county, Miss., May 14, 1790, and was a son of Windsor Pipes, who was born in 1740, the son of John Pipes. The origin of the name dates back to 1685. Windsor Pipes had three brothers, John, Philip and Abner. John Pipes settled in Georgia. Philip went to Missouri in 1811, and Windsor and Abner settled in Adams county, Miss., at that time called the Natchez country. From the last two named brothers are descended the families now living in Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. These two brothers removed from Philadelphia to what is now the state of Illinois, thence to the Natchez country in about 1780, then under Spanish rule. Abner died in 1804 and Windsor in 1806. The family of Abner Pipes consisted of the following: Anna, who married Thomas Flynn, John, Abner, Jr., Abraham, Philip and Joseph, the latter being the father of Rev. John Pipes, now living at Mansfield, La., engaged in the ministry in the Methodist Episcopal church. Windsor Pipes was twice married; the second time to Miss Jane McAfee, who was born March 1, 1745, and died September 12, 1811. She left five sons and three daughters. Of these the father of our subject was the fourth. The names of these children are: Abner, John, Joseph, David, Charles, Jane, Polly and Lettie. Abner, the eldest son, was three times married. By his first marriage he had the following children: David, Fannie, John, Windsor and Joseph; by the second, Eliza, Mary, Delilah and William; and by the third James and Isaac were born. All of these children are now deceased. John, the second son of Windsor and Jane (McAfee) Pipes, married Miss Polly Taylor, by whom he had the following named children: David, Lewis, Isaac, Hiram, Levi, John W., Esther Ann, Cynthia, Jane and Emily. Joseph, the third son, was twice married but had no children. Charles, another son of Windsor Pipes, was born May 14, 1792, and died February 12, 1859. He had four sons and one daughter: James, Charles, Stephen, David and Winniford, the latter becoming the wife of John Bird. Janes, the eldest daughter of Windsor Pipes, married William Collins, by whom she had two daughters: Polly, who married John McCaleb, and Betsy, who was first married to Dr. R. Roach, and again to John Dixon and the third time to Samuel Chamberlin. The second daughter of Windsor and Jane Pipes, Polly, married John Stowers. The next daughter of Windsor Pipes, Lettie, married Robert Taylor, and they became the parents of two sons, William and James F. Taylor, the latter of whom lived in Texas. David Pipes, Sr., the father of our subject, was twice married. By his first marriage he had one son and four daughters, named: Alexander (who married Aggie Chandler, by whom he had two daughters and one son, Mary Amanda, Sally and Alexander, Jr.), Mary Hill, Henrietta, Amanda and Emily. Mary Hill Pipes, the eldest daughter of David Pipes, Sr., married J. Warren Taylor, of Virginia, by whom she had two sons and three daughters: David, Kenchen K., Emma, Olivia, Bertha. (See sketch of J.W. Taylor.) Henrietta, the second daughter of David Pipes, Sr., married John K. Kearney, of Canton, Miss., and they have no children. Amanda, the next daughter of David Pipes, married Isaac Flynn, by whom she became the mother of five daughters: Flavia, Ada, Emma, Minerva and Dora. Emily, the last daughter of David Pipes, married Dr. Thomas Phillips, of Canton, Miss., and became the mother of two sons and one daughter, named: Thomas, Pettus and Neomi. David Pipes, Sr. was next married to Mrs. Amanda M. Collins (nee Dunn), a native of South Carolina, who came to Mississippi when a young girl. She was born July 30, 1801, and is still living, being hearty and very intellectual for one of her age. By this union were born two children, William H., the present state treasurer, and our subject. The father, David Pipes, Sr., was born May 14, 1790, and died August 13, 1873. He was reared in the Natchez country and came to Louisiana when a young man and engaged in planting and merchandising in what is now East Feliciana parish. Commencing with nothing he was very successful in establishing a fine business, and at the outbreak of the war he was one of the wealthy men of the parish. Blessed with plenty he was always charitable to all who were needy, and contributed of his means with a liberal hand to all enterprises of worth. He paid very little attention to politics, and did little except express his right of suffrage, being an old line whig. He was devoted to his family, and took great interest in the rearing and education of his children. The mother of our subject was reared in Mississippi, coming with her father, Capt. Henry Dunn, from South Carolina, where he was a well-to-do planter, and on coming to this parish soon became one of the leading planters of the country. He had a large family of children, some of whom are still living: V.H. Dunn and Mrs. Amanda Pipes; Mrs. Jane Mitchell, died some few years since at an advanced age; Robert died about 1861. Mrs. Pipes is a member of the Comite Presbyterian church of Louisiana, and is noted for her benevolence and Christian character. Our subject, D.W. Pipes, was reared in this parish, and educated for a time at Oakland college, Mississippi. During the war he came home from college to look after his father's business, and in 1863, just before the battle of Fredericksburg, he joined the battalion of Washington artillery from New Orleans, La., then in the Army of Northern Virginia, served until the close of the war, and was in all the battles participated in by this battalion. (See sketch of Hon. John Holton - list of battles.) At the close of the war he came home and began farming on his own account. In 1868 he was married to Miss Ellen V. Norwood, of this parish, a daughter of Judge A.J. Norwood, now of Norwood Station, La. She was a graduate of Silliman Female Collegiate institute, of Clinton, La. By this union there were born two sons and two daughters: Henry A., who is now in the first class at West Point Military academy, New York; Windsor, a graduate of Clarksville university, of Tennessee, and of Eastman college, Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; Mary and Amanda. The daughters are living at home, being students of Silliman Female Collegiate institute. After the death of the mother of these children, Mr. Pipes married Anna K. Fort, a daughter of William J. Fort, of West Feliciana parish. She is a graduate of Afton Villa college, of that parish. By this union were born two sons and one daughter: D.W. Pipes, Jr., William Fort and Sarah Randolph. The latter was named for her great-grandmother, Mrs. Stewart (nee Randolph), who came from Virginia, and married Col. Jones Stewart, of Mississippi, a man of great worth and popularity. Mrs. Pipes is a lady of culture and refinement and is highly accomplished. Our subject is an elder in the Presbyterian church and secretary of the board of directors of Silliman Female Collegiate institute. He is also a member of the Legion of Honor, and the Knights of Honor. He is very extensively engaged in farming, being a large land owner in East Feliciana parish, the greater part of which is under cultivation. He also owns a number of plantations in Morehouse parish, which are well cultivated. He owns considerable property in Birmingham, Ala. He is one of the incorporators of the Monroe oil mills, of Monroe, La., with a capital of $100,000; one of the charter members of the Merchants & Farmers' bank, of Monroe, La., and a stockholder of the Monroe Compress company; is interested in the Southern Grocery company, of Monroe, a large wholesale company of that place; has an interest in the Cordova Coal company, of Walker county, Ala. He is also one of the incorporators of the Edison Electric Light company, of New Orleans, La., of which he was vice-president, and owns a part of the stock. He has given much attention to the breeding of fine horses, and has been successful, being about the first one of the parish to attempt stockraising. He was elected a member of the legislature in 1888, and has served with great satisfaction to his constituents. He is a stanch democrat and a strong opponent of the Louisiana Lottery company. He is in the enjoyment of one of the most beautiful homes in the parish, surrounded by all the comforts of this world's goods, and this home is a typical Southern one, at which one is sure of being hospitably entertained when he goes there. He is highly respected by all who know him, standing in the highest social and political circles of the parish. He is charitable with his means, contributing liberally to all enterprises of merit, and has done much to further the growth and advance the interests of his parish.|
|[Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]|
|Added 19 Feb 2017|
|Marrero, Louis H.|
|The present efficient president of the police jury is LOUIS H. MARRERO, who is a successful planter of Jefferson parish. He was born near Kingston, Adams county, Miss., in 1847, a son of Bastian A. and Lydia Ann (Swayze) Marrero, who were born in St. Bernard parish, La., and Adams county, Miss., respectively. Bastian A. Marrero was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, after which he followed overseeing for some years in St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes. While yet a single man, about twenty-five or twenty-six years of age, he went to Adams county, Miss., where he first married a Miss Phipps, who bore him one child, a girl, both mother and child dying in less than two years. He was engaged in merchandising in Natchez until 1855, during which time he also traveled and traded in Texas, when he sold his business in Natchez and removed to the bottoms in Concordia parish, La., on Black river, and engaged in cotton planting until 1862, when, on account of the destructive floods, he removed to Franklin parish, later to Ouachita parish near Monroe, and finally, in 1867, to his native parish, where he followed sugar planting. He removed to the parish of Jefferson in 1881, with his son, the subject of this sketch, where he died in 1884 at the age of seventy-six years. He was industrious and honest and had the welfare of his country at heart, although he was not active in public affairs. He was very fond of reading and kept himself well informed on all the general topics of the day. Socially he was a member of the A.F. & A.M., and the I.O.O.F., and in his religious views was a Catholic. He was the youngest of a large family, all of whom are deceased. His parents were Spaniards, who many years ago came to America and settled in St. Bernard parish, La., where they spent the remainder of their lives. The wife of Bastian A. Marrero, and the mother of the subject of this sketch, died in Concordia parish in 1857; she was the eldest daughter of Lewis H. Swayze, who was an extensive cotton planter of Adams county, Miss., where the family is well known. The union of Mr. Marrero and Miss Swayze, which took place in 1846, resulted in the birth of five sons: Alonzo; William F., who died in childhood; Eugene C.; Dr. Frank G., who is a graduate of Tulane university, and is now a successful physician in New Orleans, and Louis H., who is the eldest of the family. Louis H. Marrero received the principal part of his education in Centenary college at Jackson, La., but in 1862, when but fifteen years of age, he joined Company C, Twenty-fifth Louisiana infantry, Army of the West, and fought at Farmington, Corinth, was with Bragg’s army in Kentucky and Tennessee, Murfreesboro (where he was wounded), Jackson, Miss., Perryville, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge or Chattanooga, being captured in the last-named engagement on the 25th of November, 1863, and until March, 1865, was imprisoned at Rock Island, Ill., when he was taken to Richmond and paroled. He started for home on foot and upon reaching Meridian, Miss., his furlough was extended and at the time of the surrender he was still at home. In 1867 he came to St. Bernard parish and for a few years thereafter he followed overseeing, but in 1869 was married to Miss Elodie, daughter of Antonio and Eugenia (Serpas) Marrero, natives of St. Bernard parish. His wife, who is his second cousin, and was educated in a boarding school of New Orleans, has borne her husband three sons and one daughter, the latter being deceased. They have given their sons every advantage and have the satisfaction of knowing that these advantages have been appreciated and improved. Mrs. Marrero’s father, Antonio Marrero, was a prominent planter and at the time of his death, in 1878, he was one of the most extensive sugar and cotton planters in the parish. He became a leading politician of his section, was sheriff of St. Bernard parish for some years and was a member of the secession convention. Upon the opening of the war he organized a regiment of which he was made colonel, but did not enter the service. During Buchanan’s administration he was appraiser of the custom house at New Orleans, but was removed by President Lincoln and reinstated by President Johnson. His widow survives him, a member of the Catholic church. Since the war, Louis H. Marrero has devoted his attention to planting and merchandising, and since 1881 has followed this calling in Jefferson parish. In 1884 he was appointed a member of the police jury and was soon afterward made president of the board, which position he filled until the close of Governor McEnery’s administration, when he was replaced by a friend of Governor Nicholls, he having been an ardent supporter of Governor McEnery. About two years later a vacancy occurred by the resignation of the then president of the jury, when he was reappointed by Governor Nicholls and again became president, which place he now occupies, having been reappointed by the present Governor Foster. He also now represents his, the Seventh Senatorial, district in the state senate, having been elected at the last election in April, by a good majority over his opponent, the famous negro, Henry Demas, and is also a member of the board of commissioners of the Lafourche Basin Levee district. He is postmaster of Amesville, is a Catholic in his religious views and is a member of the K. of P., Sampson Lodge, No. 80, at New Orleans.|
|[Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]|
|Added 19 Feb 2017|
|Mellen, Delos C.|
|Among the lawyers who have graced the bar of Louisiana since 1881, few are more deserving of notice than DELOS C. MELLEN, for he occupies a leading position among the most talented lawyers of the state, and it is a source of regret that the limits of this work will not permit a more thorough analysis of his character as a lawyer and of the many prominent characteristics which adorn and beautify his life. The land which gave him birth was the state of Mississippi, Natchez being the city where he first saw the light of day on the 3rd of August, 1859. His father, Col. William F. Mellen, was also born in Natchez and was a distinguished lawyer, who for many years was dean of the law department of the University of Louisiana. He was of English descent and died in 1889. His father was William Prentiss Mellen, a native of Maine, and Chief Justice Mellen of that state was a member of the family. The mother of Delos C. Mellen was Helen E. Carpenter, a native of Natchez, Miss., and a daughter of N.L. Carpenter, who came from the Green Mountain state. After spending one year in Cornell university, Delos C. Mellen went to Europe to complete his studies and there remained two and a half years, where, unlike many young men, he improved his time and talents to the utmost. Upon his return to the United States he entered the law department of the University of Louisiana, from which he graduated in 1881. He at once opened an office in New Orleans and was associated in the practice of his profession with his father until the death of the latter, when he formed a partnership with J. Ward Gurley, Jr., under the style of Gurley & Mellen. Mr. Gurley is a lawyer of distinction at the New Orleans bar. Although many were the difficulties he encountered in his efforts to obtain fame and fortune, he met the difficulties which strewed his pathway with undaunted courage, and with a zeal, earnestness and perseverance rarely equaled, he applied himself to the intricate labors of his profession and soon became a leader in the Crescent City, ranking among the ablest lawyers in his district. He is a democrat in politics, is a member of the Signi Chi fraternity, the K. of H., the Chess, Checker and Whist club, the Pickwick club, the Southern Athletic club, and the Young Men's Gymnastic club, and a thirty-second degree Mason. In November, 1887, he was united in the bonds of matrimony to Miss Corinne Castellanos, daughter of Dr. J.J. Castellanos of New Orleans, which union has resulted in the birth of two sons and one daughter.|
|[Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]|
|Added 19 Feb 2017|
|Minor, H. C.|
|H.C. MINOR, planter, Houma, La., who was originally from Adams county, Miss., born in 1841, is one of the best known men in Louisiana and has no superior, if an equal, in the state as a sugar planter. His father, W.J. Minor, was born in Mississippi in 1808, and was educated by private tutors. Although his homestead was in Adams county, Miss., he opened up land in Terre Bonne parish, La., as early as 1828, and soon became the owner of large tracts in that, Ascension and Concordia parishes. In 1864 he came to Terre Bonne parish and settled on the property now owned by his son, H.C. Minor. There his death occurred in 1869. He was not a politician, was of a retiring disposition and ever shrank from public notice. He was a sporting man and kept a stable of fine racing horses. He was married to Miss Rebecca Gustine, mother of subject, and this union was blessed by the birth of eight children; seven sons and one daughter. Mr. Minor was deeply interested in educational and religious matters and was a strict member of the Episcopal church. His father, Major Stephen Minor, was a native of Carlisle, Penn., and was major of the Spanish army, capturing Mobile, Ala., three times from the Indians. He settled in Mississippi and was ______ to Governor Gayoso, the first governor of the state. He took an active part in all affairs of a laudable nature and was a public-spirited citizen. He was appointed by the government to run the lines between Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. His death occurred when he was scarcely sixty years of age. The Minors and Gustines are both of English descent. H.C. Minor was educated in the private schools of Mississippi and subsequently engaged in planting with his father, succeeding him in the plantation. He selected as his companion in life Miss Anna Butler, and their nuptials were celebrated in 1875. Mr. Minor has enlarged and greatly improved his plantation, and during the year 1890 he made 3,500,000 pounds of sugar, mostly yellow clarified. He has two sugar-mills, one six and the other five-roller, and the capacity about 150,000 pounds per day. He has two vacuum pens, one eight and the other ten feet, double and triple effect, and these have a capacity of 250,000 pounds per day. He has two bagasse burners and all other modern improvements. Mr. Minor affiliates with the republican party in his political views and is looked upon as the coming man. In 1889 he was a candidate for congress. He has been a member of the Episcopal church since 1859 and takes an active interest in religious work.|
|Added 19 Feb 2017|
|Sheilds, Wilmer H.|
|Prominent among the comparatively young men of Concordia parish, La., whose career thus far has been both honorable and successful, is WILMER H. SHIELDS, district clerk, Vidalia. He was born in Adams county, Miss., in 1849, and his parents, Gabriel Benoist and Catherine (Surget) Shields, were natives also of that state, the father born in Adams county in 1812 and the mother in Adams county in 1817. The elder Shields was a man of fine literary attainments, having been educated at Jefferson college, Washington, Miss., and under the private tutorage of the late distinguished S.S. Prentiss. Some years after his marriage Mr. Shields settled near Natchez, in Adams county, and became not only a prominent planter but a very influential citizen, belonging to one of the first families of the county. He died in Natchez in 1881. His father, Hon. William Bayard Shields, came from Delaware to Mississippi when a young man and here married a Miss Benoist, who belonged to a distinguished French family, her father being a French royalist. Mr. Shields was an eminent scholar and a celebrated attorney. He was the first United States district attorney for Mississippi, and he it was who prosecuted Aaron Burr. He was of Irish descent (his father being from Ireland and his mother a sister of James A. Bayard), and one of the early settlers of Jefferson county, Miss. The mother of our subject died September 30, 1888. She was an educated lady, receiving her schooling at Natchez, and was the daughter of Francis Surget, who was also one of the early settlers of Adams county, where he became very wealthy, and who was of an old and prominent French family. His wife, Eliza, was a daughter of the distinguished Sir William Dunbar, who was one of the most celebrated characters of the Southwest in his day. In the latter part of the last century he settled in Adams county, nine miles south of Natchez, and named his home "Forest." There he became wealthy and independent and spent the remainder of his days beloved by everybody. The family became one of the best known and most respected of the community. Wilmer H. Shields was one of fourteen children, seven of whom are now living: Kate (widow of John T. Redd), Ellen Elise D., F.S. (a prominent citizen of Louisiana), James Surget (prominent citizen of Natchez), W.H. and M.W. (a daughter). Wilmer H. Shields was educated in Brussels and other places in Europe, and at Washington university. He then followed civil engineering for the Chesapeake & Ohio and Texas & Pacific railroads until his marriage in 1876 to Miss Evy H. Tucker, the daughter of the distinguished statesman and lawyer, Hon. J. Randolph Tucker, one of Virginia's noblest sons. Mrs. Shields was born at Martinsburg, Va., and received her education at Winchester. She was a lady of brilliant attainments, etc. She died in 1887, leaving two children: Randolph Tucker and Gabriel Benoist. After his marriage Mr. Shields engaged in planting, and since 1881 has resided in Concordia parish, where he has a fine plantation. He was for a number of years a member of the Fifth district Louisiana levee board, and for three years has been district clerk. He is held in the highest respect by all for his sterling integrity, sober, sound judgment, broad intelligence and liberal, progressive ideas. Socially he is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of Honor. He is a member of the Episcopal and his wife a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Shields belongs to four of as prominent families as are connected with the early history of Adams county, Miss.: The Shieldses, noted for their general prominence; the Surgets, for their great financial ability and activity, and the two Dunbar families, both of whom are distinguished for talent, generosity, kindness, etc.|
|Added 19 Feb 2017|
|Monette, Alexander C.|
|ALEXANDER C. MONETTE, of Madison parish, La., was born in Adams county, Miss., in 1843. He was a son of Dr. John W. and Cornelia Monette. Dr. John W. Monette was born in 1813, in what was then the Northwest Territory, but now the state of Ohio. He came to Mississippi with his parents when quite young, and located at the old town of Washington. Dr. John W. Monette received his literary education at the Transylvania university, of Kentucky, and at the age of nineteen graduated from the same school in medicine, and at once began practicing in Washington, Miss., at which place he practiced until his death, which occurred in 1851. He was a man of more than ordinary ability; was well read, not only in his profession but in all topics of the day. He had great literary talent and had he lived to reach a ripe age, would probably rank among our literary stars of America. He is the author of 'Monette's History of the Mississippi Valley,' a very able production, which is well known, and is in two large volumes. He was a great writer for the press in his day, on different subjects, but especially on medical treatises, etc. At one time he wrote on the treatment of yellow fever, from which writing quotations are often made in the medical journals. At the time of his death he had data gathered for a history of the rivers of the South, which is now in the possession of his son, but has never been published. In 1831 Dr. John W. Monette bought a large tract of land in Madison parish, La., where our subject now resides. He was chosen president of the board of trustees of the Jefferson college, of Mississippi, which position he held for many years. In 1828 he married Miss Cornelia Newman, daughter of George and Charlotte (Dunbar) Newman. The Newmans were of English descent and the Dunbars of Scotch descent. To the Doctor and wife were born ten children, four of whom are still living: Anna, the wife of Dr. J.C. Brandon (son of ex-Governor Brandon, deceased, of Mississippi); Alexander C., our subject; Dr. George Monette, of New Orleans, and Louisa Monette, who is unmarried. Alexander C. Monette began life for himself at the age of twenty-five. He received his education at the Jefferson college and the Oxford university, of Mississippi. He was in attendance at the latter institution when the war broke out. This closed his school days as he quit at once and entered the army in 1861, in Company A, in the Mississippi sixty-day troop, and at the expiration of that time he enlisted in Company B, of the Tenth Mississippi regiment. He was in some of the hardest fought battles of the war, some of which were the battles of Shiloh, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and Murfreesboro. At the last named battle he was captured and held a prisoner for three months. At Atlanta he was wounded in the hand, but remained in the service until the close of the war. In 1867 he married Miss Emily Cox, daughter of Robert and Leminda (Green) Cox, of Mississippi, and a very old family of that state. His wife departed this life in 1887, leaving five children, namely: Emmie, Alice, Covington, Florence and Bertha. Our subject is at present the superintendent of the public schools of the parish. He removed from Mississippi to Louisiana in 1875 and has since led the life of a planter. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, lodge of Tallulah, No. 2541, and is also a member of the Episcopal church. Mr. Monette is well known in social circles near his home as an intelligent, honorable and upright man.|
|Added 19 Feb 2017|
|Turpin, James A.<|
|JAMES A. TURPIN, planter, L'Argent, La. Mr. Turpin's paternal grandfather, White Turpin, was a native of Delaware, born in the latter part of the last century, and came to Adams county, Miss., with ex-Governor Holmes, of Mississippi, in 1809. He was the first sheriff of that county and held that position in a satisfactory manner for two terms. He took great interest in the early politics of the country and was a prominent man. He became a great land speculator, both in Mississippi and Louisiana, and amassed a considerable amount of wealth. He married Miss Rebecca Pettit, of Virginia, and became the father of three sons by his first marriage: Joseph A. (the father of our subject), Holmes (who married and had three children ' two sons who died, and a daughter, married and living in Louisville, Ky.) and White (who died when about grown, unmarried). His first wife dying, White Turpin married Mrs. Magruder, the widow of an officer in the United States navy. They were married in Baton Rouge, La., and had one daughter, Rebecca, who married Henry K. Hutton, of Maryland. Joseph A. Turpin, father of our subject, was born in Washington, Adams county, Miss., on May 18, 1816. He was educated in the University of Virginia and was married to Miss Laura S. Archer, a native of Maryland, born in 1817, and the daughter of Judge Archer. Mr. Turpin has always led the life of a planter, and in 1878 he moved to Concordia parish. He subsequently moved to Pointe Coupee parish, and he and his estimable wife reside at the present time. They have spent fifty-three years of their life together and are honored and respected by every one. The nine children born to this union are named in the order of their births as follows: Dr. S.W. (of Smithland), Emily M. (wife of J.S. Scott of Catahoula parish, La.), Laura (wife of O. Lejeune, of Pointe Coupee parish), Pamelia L. (died in 1881), White (killed at the battle of Nashville, in 1864), James A. (subject), Rebecca H. (of Port Gibson, Miss.), Ellen D. (wife of E.S. Drake) and Mary H. James A. Turpin, the sixth in order of birth of this family, was born in Claiborne parish, Miss., in 1845, and in 1863 enlisted in the Jefferson artillery, of Jefferson county, Miss. He was in many prominent battles: Chickamauga, Resaca, Atlanta, Nashville and many others. He was captured in 1865, but at the end of two weeks made his escape. In 1867 he moved to Louisiana, but returned to Mississippi and there resided for a few years. In 1877 he came to Louisiana and made a permanent home in Concordia parish. In 1870 he was married to Miss Fannie Newsam, daughter of John W. and Frances E. Newsam, and the fruits of this union have been nine children, all of whom are living: Henry H., Joseph A., James A., Jr., Harriet W., Laura L., Roberta B., Rebecca P., Mary H. and White. Mr. and Mrs. Turpin have been very successful in all their enterprises and are classed among the highly respected people of the neighborhood. He is wide-awake and enterprising and everything about his place indicates to the beholder that the owner is industrious and progressive.|
|Added 19 Feb 2017|
|Metcalf, Robert S.|
|This well-known citizen of Catahoula parish, La., was born in Adams county, Miss., in 1858, a son of James W. Metcalfe, a native of the same county and state, and grandson of Dr. James Metcalfe, who was a Kentuckian by birth, but removed to Mississippi, where he became a large land owner and an extensive and successful medical practitioner. He was married to a Miss Baker, a native of Kentucky, and by her became the father of the following children: Dr. John; Dr. Arrick; James W.; Dr. Duncan M.; Amelia, wife of Samuel Choppin; Charles and Henry. James W. Metcalfe received a collegiate education, and began the battle of life as manager of his father's plantation. He was afterward married to Miss Sarah J. Young, a daughter of Dr. Young, of Mississippi, and their union was blessed in the birth of six children: James, Belle, Farrar, Robert, Charlie and Sallie. Dr. James Metcalfe died in 1865, after the surrender of the confederacy, from the exposure to which he had been subjected while in the service. He served from the beginning as a private in the cavalry service, and was faithfulness itself in the discharge of his duty. Throughout life he had been a whig in politics. His widow survives him and resides on the old homestead, Ackland plantation, which lies fronting Black river. Robert S. Metcalfe, the immediate subject of this sketch, attended school at Pass Christian until he reached the age of sixteen years, when he was sent to St. James college, Maryland. Upon his return from college he took charge of his mother's plantation, since which time he has been a resident of Catahoula parish. He was married on November 26, 1889, to Miss Sallie Ruth, a native of Catahoula parish, and daughter of Frank Ruth, a planter, who died when Mrs. Metcalfe was a child. To the subject of this sketch and his wife a son has been born, whom they named James W. The Ackland plantation consists of 1,200 acres of land, of which 700 acres are open, Mr. Metcalfe himself cultivating about 500 acres, which produces about twenty-five bushels of corn and three-fourths of a bale of cotton to the acre. Mr. Metcalfe is a young man possessing many excellent qualities, among which may be mentioned modesty, energy, honesty and intelligence. He moves in the best social circles, and is deeply interested in the welfare of his parish and section.|
|[Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]|
|Added 10 Feb 2017|
|Carson, William Waller|
|CARSON, William Waller, civil engineer; born near Natchez, Miss., June 2, 1845; English, Scotch-Irish and Huguenot descent; son of James Green and Catherine (Waller) Carson of Louisiana; father's occupation cotton planter; paternal grandparents Col. Joseph and Caroline C. (Green) Carson of Alabama; maternal grandparents William Smith and Catherine (Breckinridge) Waller of Kentucky; taught by private tutors before the war; studied at Washington College, Va. (now Washington & Lee University) after the war; graduated from Washington College in civil engineering in 1868, mining engineering in 1869; in 1873-4 a student in Chemical Laboratory of School of Mines, Columbia College, N.Y.; married Rachel Finnie of Memphis Dec. 23, 1880; member of Fred Ault Camp No. 5 U.C.V., American Society of Civil Engineers, Engineering Association of the South, Society for Promotion of Engineering Education, Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity, Cherokee Country Club, Appalachian Club; private, finally Sergeant-Major, 4th La. Cavalry, C.S.A., 1863-5; professor of Mathematics Davidson College, N.C., 1877-1883; has been engineer on various railroads and other public work; professor of Civil Engineering, University of Tenn., since 1885; member of 1st Presbyterian Church of Knoxville, Tenn.|
|[Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]|
|Added 17 Aug 2014|
|My name is Jennifer Kellams and I am a direct descendant
of Rachel Josephine Parker Permenter. She was born and died
in Natchez, MS. This is information from my genealogy
research. Also some images for you. Please use as needed. I
am in the process of scanning the family Bible pages. I will
send those when I am done if you would like them.
Rachel Josephine Parker Permenter
Birth 15 Jan 1848 in Natchez, Adams Co., Mississippi, USA
Death 20 Nov 1883 in Natchez, Adams Co., Mississippi, USA
She married Randall Davis Permenter 08 Jul 1871 in Natchez, MS
They had three children:
1. Randall Davis Permenter Jr. born abt 1872 in Natchez, MS.
2. Vivienne Permenter (My great-great grandmother) born 3 Jun 1876 in Natchez, MS. and died 27 Dec 1939 in Desoto, Louisiana; She married James M. Woodward on 29 Apr 1896 in Natchez, MS (509
Washington St.) After marriage she made her life in Louisiana which is where the rest of the story goes.
3. Ruth Permenter born 12 Mar 1881 in Natchez, MS
|[By: Jennifer Kellams]|
|Added 17 Jun 2014|
|William Scott and his wife Monica Waren-Warren and their 2
children ( Mary Elizabeth Scott and William Scott Jr)
arrived in Natchez before 1785 as my Gabriel Scott was born
there in 1785 and Thomas Scott was born in 1789 both in
Natches Dist, Miss. Territory. My Gabriel Scott married
If you would like more information please write me at IWolf54197@aol.com
|[India J Wolf]|
|Added 11 Mar 2014|
|The true heroes of America are those who, from time to
time abandoning the comforts of civilized life, have
penetrated the forest and prairie wilderness of the great
West and there helped to lay the foundation of new States.
Such was Alexander Calvit, one of the first settlers of the
Brazos valley, and a good type of that intelligent,
adventurous and liberty-loving class of men by whom the arts
and institutions of civilization were brought into the
Mr. Calvit was born in Adams county, Mississippi, June 17th, 1784, and there grew to manhood. His boyhood and youth were passed on what was then the Southwestern frontier, and there he learned the ways of life which so well fitted him for one of the pioneers of Texas. He married Barbara Makall Wilkinson, in the town of Washington, Adams county, Mississippi, December 18, 1814, and for a number of years engaged in planting in that State. He was in the service of the United States during the war of 1812-1915, holding the commission of Captain of a reconnoitering company. Another commission, signed by the Governor of Mississippi and dated in 1816, now in the possession of one of his descendants, shows that he held the position of Captain of artillery in the Thirteenth Mississippi Regiment, and presumably was a man of some consequence in local military affairs.
From Mississippi Mr. Calvit moved to Louisiana, and thence in 1824 to Texas, his family being one of Stephen F. Austin's original 300. On coming to Texas he settkd first at San Felipe, but subsequently "laid a headlight" on the lower Brazos in what is now Brazoria county, and there took up his permanent abode. He was residing on his farm on the Brazos when the troubles came on between the Colonists and Mexico, and, sharing in the sentiment by which the settlers were actuated in their resistance to the Mexican authority, he cast his personal fortunes in the scale with those of his fellow-citizens and gave the weight of his example to the cause of freedom and local self-government. His position as a Brazos valley planter seemed to make him most serviceable as a purveyor to the little army which formed on the frontier under Houston, and he diligently employed himself during the winter and early spring of 1835-6 in gathering supplies and forwarding them to those at the front. From over-exertion and exposure undergone during this time he was taken with fever, from which in a short time he died, his death occurring January 7, 1836.
Surviving him, Mr. Calvit left a widow and three daughters, the daughters then just verging on to womanhood. The eldest of them, Mary, was married to Jared E. Groce, and after his death to Dr. B. R. Peebles; the second, Sallie J., was married to John Sharp, who was a Lieutenant in Captain R. J. Calder's company at the battle of San Jacinto, and after the death of Lieutenant Sharp she was married to Robert S. Herndon. a brother of John H. Herndon, to whom was married the youngest of the three, Barbara. (See sketch of John H. Herndon in this work.) All of these pioneer women of Texas are now deceased, except Mrs. R. S. Herndon, but their good works follow after them in the lives and characters of their posterity, upon whom they stamped the full imprint of their virtues. The widow of Alexander Calvit was a woman of more than ordinary character, and her daughters were indebted to her for most of the virtues which shone out with such radiance in their lives. Upon the death of her husband Mrs. Calvit was left with but slender means with which to provide for herself and daughters; but, summoning her woman's courage and her woman's thrift and methods of economy, she put her household in order and took vigorous hold of the problems of farm life, and it is to her credit that she met every requirement of her position, and continued for years, after her daughters were married and well provided for, to occupy the old homestead, and to conduct its affairs with marked success. Mrs. Calvit was a sister of the wife of Lieutenant Long, whose faithful vigil at Point Bolivar forms one of the most interesting and romantic chapters in Texas history.
|[History of Texas, together with a biographical history of the cities of Houston and Galveston, etc., Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1895. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails staff]|
|Added 9 Feb 2014|
|Jenkins, William Dunbar|
|Jenkins, William Dunbar, civil and consulting engineer; born Adams County, Miss.; son of John Carmichael and Annis Field (Dunbar) Jenkins; father's occupation physician; paternal grandparents Robert and Catherine (Carmichael) Jenkins; maternal grandparents Dr. William and Annis Stockton (Field) Dunbar; educated at Military Schools, France and Belgium; studied engineering at Lexington, Va., 1869-72; member of American Society C.E.; Miss. Historical Society, American Forestry Association, and National Geographical Society; married 1876; engaged in practice of engineering profession, 1872; has done some important work, including Susquehanna River, Schuykill River bridges, B. & O. R.R., Red Rock Cantilever Bridge, Colorado River, Arizona, Arkansas and White River bridges, and Randolph bridge over Mo. River at Kansas City, Mo.; did some work on Miss. Levees; chief engineer of railroads in South and Southwest; chief engineer Aransas Pass harbor and jetty works, Texas; Major of Volunteers Engineers and Chief Engineer Chattanooga Sta. Co., and Hamilton National Bank Building at Chattanooga, Tenn.|
|[Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]|
|Added 9 Feb 2014|
|PRYOR, LUKE, lawyer, U. S. senator, representative in
congress, was born July 5, 1820, near Huntsville, Madison
County, and died August 6, 1900, at Athens; son of Luke and
Anne Batte (Lane) Pryor, the former a native of Virginia,
who was first married to Martha Scott, sister of Gen.
Winfield Scott, and who lived at Petersburg, Va., until
after his second marriage in 1808, when he moved to
Brunswick and later Nottoway Counties Va., and came to
Alabama in 1820, first locating in Madison County, near
Huntsville, where he farmed and taught school for a few
years, and later moving to Limestone County, where he died
in June, 1851; grandson of John and Anne (Bland) Pryor, the
former a native of England, who came to America about 1700,
and purchased land in Virginia, and of Benjamin and Sylvia
(Perry) Lane, natives of Virginia, who lived in Brunswick
County, Va.; great-grandson of Samuel and Prudence
(Thornton) Pryor, and of Richard and Ann (Poythress) Bland,
who lived at Jordan's Point, Va.; great-great-grandson of
Col. William Thornton of Gloucester County, Va, Mr. Pryor
received his early education at Mooresville, Limestone
County, and for a short time was a student at Washington
college, near Natchez, Miss. He began the study of law in
1841 under Judge Daniel Coleman, and received a license to
practice in the local courts the same year. He entered into
a partnership with Robert C Brickell, the late chief justice
of the supreme court of Alabama, and continued that
association until 1843; was law partner of Col. Egbert Jones
for a short time; was appointed with Gen. Leroy Pope Walker
as bank attorney at Decatur, 1844; was re-appointed in 1845
with D. C Humphries as attorney for the same bank; resigned
that position later in the year, continuing the practice of
law in connection with farming at Athens; was elected to the
State legislature in 1855, pledged to the work of securing
authority to subscribe two hundred thousand dollars to the
capital stock of the Tennessee and Alabama central railroad
company, at Nashville and Decatur, and secured the bill
raising that tax, enacted over the veto of Gov. Winston;
entered into a partnership with George S. Houston in 1866,
which lasted until 1874, when Mr. Houston was elected
governor; continued his practice alone until in December,
1879, when he was appointed by Gov. Cobb to the U. S. senate
to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. Houston;
served as senator from December 31, 1879, until the
legislature met in November, 1880, when he declined to be a
candidate to complete the unexpired term; abandoned the law
and gave his attention to farming, remaining in quiet life
for two years, until in 1883, without his knowledge, he was
nominated for representative in congress from the eighth
district by acclamation at the convention assembled in
Decatur. He was elected and served 1883-1885, declining a
Married: August 20, 1845, to Isabella Virginia Harris, born January 7, 1826, in Limestone County, who died in June, 1889, daughter of John H. and Frances (Rowzee) Harris, natives of Virginia, who lived in Albemarle County, Va., the former a captain in the War of 1812; granddaughter of Matthew and Elizabeth (Tate) Harris, and of John and Isabella (Miller) Rowzee, of Essex County, Va.; greatgranddaughter of William and Mary (Netherland) Harris; great-great-granddaughter of Matthew and Elizabeth (Lee) Harris. Children: 1. Aurora, Athens, m. Robert A. McClellan, deceased; 2. William Richard, deceased, m. Ida Harris, Harris; 3. Memory, Athens, m. William Shirley Peebles, deceased; 4. Anne Batte Lane, deceased, m. Maclin Sloss, Birmingham; 5. Frances Snow, Athens; 6. Isabella Benjamin, d. in infancy; 7. Mary, m. Thomas Bass Leslie, West Point, Miss.; 8. Harriett Emily, deceased, m. Robert J. Lowe (q. v.). Last residence: Athens.
|[History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Mrs. Marie (Bankhead) Owen, 1921 - Transcribed by AFOFG]|
|Added 17 Jun 2012|
|Walker, Robert John|
|WALKER, Robert John, a Senator from Mississippi; born in Northumberland, Pa., July 19, 1801; graduated from the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia in 1819; studied law; admitted to the bar in 1821 and commenced practice in Pittsburgh, Pa., the following year; moved to Natchez, Miss., in 1826 and continued the practice of law; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate; reelected, and served from March 4, 1835, to March 5, 1845, when he resigned; chairman, Committee on Public Lands (Twenty-fourth through Twenty-sixth Congresses); Secretary of the Treasury in the Cabinet of President James K. Polk 1845-1849; declined the mission to China tendered by President Franklin Pierce in 1853; resumed the practice of law; appointed Governor of Kansas Territory in April 1857, but resigned in December 1857; United States financial agent to Europe 1863-1864; again engaged in the practice of law at Washington, D.C., and died there November 11, 1869; interment in Oak Hill Cemetery.|
|[Source: Congressional Biographies of the United States Congress, 1737-present; transcribed by A. Newell]|
|Added 17 Jun 2012|
|Newland, Francis G|
|The future historian who does justice to the real
benefactors of the West - to those who have done most in
thought and action, must place Senator Francis G. Newlands
in the first rank.
Why? Not for one reason or two reasons or three reasons, but for any number of reasons. First, because the senior senator from Nevada is the author of the National Reclamation Act which is making the desert blossom as the rose; the act which committed the government to the policy of paternalism and made federal moneys available for private enterprise.
It was the Nevada Senator, who, when private capital found it impossible to handle the problems of irrigation, conceived the idea of having the government undertake the work of reclaiming the arid lands of the West. It was the Nevada Senator who conceived the idea of building reservoirs to conserve the flood waters for irrigation in dry seasons.
It was in compliment to the Nevada Senator that the first four million dollars of government money expended under this act went to Nevada.
The act was one of the most important ever passed by Congress. It will mean to Nevada, permanent prosperity; to the West, continued progress; to the entire country, freedom from the congested life of the cities.
The master mind of a thinking man was necessary to conceive this gigantic plan and other master minds were quick to grasp the magnitude of it and to assist in making it one of the most important issues of the day.
Not a Republican and yet not essentially a Democrat, is Senator Newlands. He is an American. Men and measures claim his attention and party prejudice is not allowed to enter where the best welfare of the greatest number is at stake.
He is a true-hearted, big man, a wise friend of the people, a fine speaker and a tactful statesman. A self-made man is Francis G. Newlands. He was born in Natchez, Mississippi, and when little more than a boy developed a taste for affairs of state. He secured an appointment as clerk in Washington and worked his way through Columbia Law School, Washington, D.C. He also attended Yale for a time, but was called from school before he was able to receive his degree. He was admitted to the bar in 1870 and began practice of his profession in San Francisco. Possessed with an analytical mind, a fearless nature and the gift of oratory, it was not long until he attained a high place in legal circles. In 1889 he moved to Nevada and soon afterward became prominent in the politics of the state. Three years later he was made candidate of the Silver party for Congress and served four terms. While in the lower house, he was active as a committeeman and he occupied a prominent place on the currency committee, the committee on ways and means and the committee on foreign affairs. It was in 1902 that he was elected to the Senate and four years later was again returned to Washington for further service to his state and his country.
He has a beautiful home in Reno overlooking the Truckee river and a charming wife who is a leader in social life in Nevada and a welcome addition to any Washington circle. She was formerly Miss Edith McCallister, daughter of Hall McCallister of San Francisco. His first wife, who died in 1880, was Miss Clara Adelaide Sharon, a daughter of former United States Senator William Sharon.
|[Source: Who's Who in Nevada, Publ. 1907. Transcribed by Jeanne Kalkwarf]|
|Added 17 Jun 2012|
|Devlin, Francis Barrett|
|The Life of Georgina Francis Barrett Devlin
We may never know what prompted Georgina's father, John Michael Barrett, in 1836 to bring his family from London, England, where he was a barrister, to America. Georgina's older brother, Michael, was already living in Canada, and that is where they first went. However, within six months the family traveled to Natchez, Mississippi, where they lived until the father's death in 1844. At that point, Michael and his brother Robert moved back to Canada and shortly afterwards, Georgina, her mother, and her brother William moved to Yazoo City, Mississippi - and the reason for this move is equally unknown. Georgina was at this time nineteen, her brother seventeen, and their mother fifty.
Georgina began to record the details of her life in her journals in 1852. By this time she was twenty-seven and married to James Devlin, "South Carolinian",¯ and had two children, a son named William, age four one a daughter named Julia, four months old. Another son and daughter, Frances and John, would be born within the next two years. Mr. Devlin, and she almost always referred to him in her diaries, was a cotton factor and had a store and his sons eventually helped him in the store.
With the onset of the Civil War, however, and especially after Union forces entered Yazoo County, their world was turned upside down. Soldiers entered their yard and frightened Georgina enough that she and the children ran and hid in the woods. And most traumatic of all, her brother William, who had married and had two children, was "shot through the bowels"¯ by Union soldiers. The economy was devastated, and after Mr. Devlin's store burned, in 1868, the family moved to Winona, Mississippi, to start anew. They lived there for just eleven years, until 1879, but during that period there were many changes in the family. First William and then Julia married, and Julia moved back to Yazoo City. Georgina's aged mother, who had lived with them in both Yazoo City and Winona, died in 1876, Mr. Devlin died in 1878. and her son William, who also lived in Winona, died in 1879, leaving his wife and two children.
At this point, with no family left in Winona, Georgina moved to Yazoo City to live with her daughter Julia and her husband, Col. I. N. Gilruth. He had been a Union soldier during the war, and was thus a "carpetbagger,"¯ but he was very successful in business and eventually was quite wealthy, owning a cotton warehouse and several plantations.
Georgina, having sold the home in Winona, as well as her husband's store, eventually was the owner of several small rental houses in Yazoo City. She proved a good businesswoman, supporting herself with the income from these properties. As the years passed, her diaries are full of concerns for her children, grandchildren, and her great grandchildren; her aches and pains and the medication she took for them; and her interest in the spiritual philosophies of the day. In her diaries, she told of events of the lawless reconstruction years, seeing Haley's Comet, and riding in her son-in-law's new "large automobile"¯
By the time she died, in 1914 she had lived a life of eighty-nine years years that saw tremendous changes in society. She recorded that life diligently in her diaries for over sixty years, and it is amazing that these records are available for us today.
|[Submitters Name: Kay Jones]|
|Added 17 Jun 2012|
|Dorsey, Sarah Anne|
|DORSEY, Sarah Anne, author: b. Natchez, Miss., Feb. 16, 1829; d. New Orleans, La., July 4, 1879. She was carefully educated, traveled extensively, and was a brilliant and versatile woman. In 1853 she married Samuel W. Dorsey, of Maryland, a wealthy lawyer and planter in Tensas Parish, La. Mrs. Dorsey devoted much time to the religious instruction^ of her slaves, and in The Churchman (New York), which took notice of this work, her first literary work was published. In 18fi0 she planned to publish the choral services she had arranged and used with her slaves, but the war prevented the publication. During the war Mrs. Dorsey became a nurse in a Confederate hospital. After the death of Mr. Dorsey (1875) she removed to Beauvoir and continued her literary work. She was amanuensis to Mr. Davis in the preparation of his Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, and by will left Beauvoir to him. Her Recollections of Henry W. Allen (1866) is a fine piece of biographical work. She wrote also Lucia Dare (1867), a war novel and not popular; Agnes Graham (1869); The Vivians and Chastine, both published in serial form in the Southern Literary Messenger; Atalie, or a Southern Villiegiatura (1871), and Panola, A Tale of Louisiana (1877), both very popular; a treatise on Aryan philosophy; and many contributions to journals and periodicals. She corresponded with celebrated persons all over the world, among them Dean Stanley, Carlyle, Herbert Spencer, and the Rossettis. While much of her work is not permanent, her influence was great upon the ideas and tastes of Southern readers and authors.BODY|
|[Source: THE SOUTH in the Building of the Nation Volume XI; Ed. by James Curtis Ballagh, Walter Lynwood Fleming & Southern Historical Publication Society; Publ. 1909; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]|
|Added 17 Jun 2012|
|Claiborne, Ferdinand Leigh|
|Claiborne, Ferdinand Leigh, soldier, was born in 1772, in
Sussex County, Va., and died in 1815, in Natchez, Miss.; son
of William and Mary (Leigh) Claiborne, of Blanchester, Va.;
grandson of Nalhanlel and Jane (Dole) Claiborne, of "Sweet
Hall." Va.; great-grandson of Capt. Thomas and Ann (Fox)
Cleborne; great-great-grandson of Lt Col. Thomas Cleborne
and wife, a Miss Dandridge; brother of Gov. William C. C.
Claiborne (q. v.). He was educated In the schools of
Virginia; appointed ensign of infantry, U. S. Army, 1798;
promoted captaln, 1799; resigned from the army, 1802, and
located in Natchez, Miss., as a merchant. He was elected to
the Mississippi Territorial legislature, 1804; colonel of
militia. 1805; commander of the troops sent to support
General Wilkinson, 1806, in the Sabine campaign; 1811,
brigadier-general of militia of the Territory, and organized
the militia for U. S. government service. In 1818, he was
made brigadier-general of volunteers; was stationed at Fort
Stoddard, and served actively throughout the War of 1812 and
the Creek uprising, in defense of the white pioneer
settlers, especially along the Alabama river. In December,
1813, he attacked the Indians at the "Holy Ground." After
victory, he returned to Natchez and resumed his work as
general of militia. He was elected to the Mississippi
legislative council, 1815, and presided over that body.
Married: in 1802, to Magdalene, daughter of Col. Anthony
Hutchins, an English officer. Last residence: Natchez, Miss.
|[Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, Published by The S. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921; Submitted by Veneta McKinney]|
|Added 30 Aug 2011|
|Davis, Brinton B|
|Captain Brinton B. Davis was born in Natchez, Mississippi,
January 23, 1862. He is the son of Jacob Brinton Davis and
Mary (Gamble) Davis. His father was a native of
Philadelphia. Pennsylvania, and came of a family of Welsh
origin that very early settled in Georgia, thence removed to
Philadelphia. The mother of Captain Davis was a Scotch lady
who was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. In 1857 Jacob Brinton
Davis located in Natchez, Mississippi, and became a
well-known architect of the South, being the architect of
many prominent and public buildings of the South. He died at
Natchez in 1877 when forty-seven years of age.
Brinton B. Davis was the eldest of his children and was reared in his native town graduating from Eustace Academy, then a splendid and popular academy at Natchez. He was in the twenty-second year of his age when he graduated. He traveled extensively and made a study of architecture. He found it necessary very early in life to launch out for himself, and after completing an academic education he went to New York city, where he spent three years in architectural work and then in the same avenue of life spent about four years at St. Louis. Missouri. In 1892 he located at Paducah, Kentucky, whence he came to Louisville in 1899. When the call came for troops to serve during the Spanish- American war, Captain Davis was in active service for fourteen months, during which time he was in command of Company K, Third Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, and during five months of that time his command was in Cuba. He was frequently commended in general orders by Generals Grant. Wiley and others.
Captain Davis has risen very rapidly in the field of architecture, and throughout the state are many enduring monuments of excellent ability testifying to the technical skill and professional expression of his art form in all of its expressions he is a lover of art and he is more of a connoisseur than a dilettante in this connection, aside from the specific work of his profession, which represents one of the noblest forms of art expression. Among many others are the Kentucky State Normal School building at Bowling Green, the Jefferson County Armory at Louisville, which is the second largest of its kind in this country, the Broadway Public School and Bradford Mills of Louisville. He is in demand as a writer on art and architecture.
Captain Davis is a fellow of the American Institute of Architects, member of the American Federation of Arts and of the Society of Arts, London, England, and other organizations of like character. He is a member of Plain City Lodge, No. 449, A. F. & A. M.. Paducah Chapter, No. 30, R. A. M., De Molay Commandery, K. T., No. 12. Kentucky Consistory and Kosair Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, having presided in all of the above named orders, and has for some time served as president of the board of trustees of the Masonic Temple of Louisville. He is a prominent member of the Commercial Club of Louisville, of which he was elected president in 1909 and again in 1910, it being unusual to bestow the honor of a re-election to the office.
In 1899 Captain Davis married Miss Clara Benbrook, of Natchez, Mississippi. The Captain and his wife are members of the First Presbyterian church of Louisville. He has forged his way to the front in life, and that by his own force of character. Thoroughly reliable in all things, the quality of his work is a convincing test of his own personal worth and he has become an important factor in business circles.
|Source: "A History of Kentucky and Kentuckians: The Leaders and Representative Men in Commerce, Industry and Modern Activities", By E. Polk Johnson, Published by Lewis Pub. Co., 1912 - submitted by Janice Rice|
|Added Jan 2009|
Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor