Submitted by Debora Reese
Extract taken from Publication of the Mississippi Historical Society, By the Mississippi Historical Society, Edited by Franklin L. Riley, Secretary, Volume V, Oxford, Mississippi, 1902, pgs 312-313, from chapter entitled “Extinct Towns and Villages of Mississippi” by Franklin L. Riley
The town of Kingston was situated about sixteen miles southeast of Natchez and about two miles from the Homochitto river, which is the boundary line between Adams and Wilkinson counties.
In the year 1771, Samuel and Richard Swayze, of New Jersey, bought of Capt. Amos Ogden 19,000 acres of land, which had been granted to the said Odgen by the English Government in 1768. After locating and surveying their estate, which has since been known as “Odgen Mandamus Grant”, the Swayze brothers, early in 1772, sailed from Perth Amboy, New Jersey, for their new home with their families and kindred in all about fifteen families. They settled at a place about one mile from old Kingston, building their cabins close together, and erecting a log stockade for the protection of the women and children in case of an attack by the Indians.
In 1784, Caleb King located and built his house about a mile from where the colonists first settled. He called this place Kingston and laid it off into lots, giving names to the streets. Dr. C. F. Farrar, of Kingston, Miss., a grandson of Caleb King, has the original map of the place as drawn by its founder. The county around was soon thickly settled and from 1800 to 1824, Kinston was a prosperous town, having three stores, a tailor shop, a shoe shop, a saddler’s shop, a blacksmith shop. It had about one hundred and fifty inhabitants. About 1820, a church was built there, which was free for the use of all denominations. Many of the pioneer ministers held services in it, among them Lorenzo Dow, who preached in it twice.
About 1830 Kingston began to go down. Many of its citizens disposed of their property and moved away. There now remains at this place only one dwelling, a doctor’s office, wherein a post office, and a Methodist church, and near by two stores and two steam gins. Some of the descendants of the first settlers, who are still living in the neighborhood are, the Swayzes, Foules, Ashfords, Byrds, Bavies, Farrars, Thomases, and Sojourners.
 This sketch is based upon information obtained from Dr. C. F. Farrar, of Kingston, Miss.
©Genealogy Trails with all rights reserved for original submitters