ALLEN, Andrew and Mary
Our Allen ancestors migrated to Alcorn County (old Tishomingo County) about 1850, from Rockingham County, North Carolina. Thomas Allen and Rebecca Martin Allen were the parents of five children. It is believed that Rebecca and four of her children came to this area seeking fresh new land for farming. The 1860 Tishomingo County Census shows three Allen households with Rebecca and her daughters, Elizabeth and Leah, Rebecca's son, Walter and his family, and Rebecca's son, Andrew and his family.
Andrew Allen, 1816-1891, married Mary H. Smith, 1821-1887, in 1843, in Rockingham County, North Carolina. They settled in the Wheeler Grove Community, clearing land for their home and farming. Tragedy came to the family in 1867, when five of their eight children died during a three-month period. The unknown illness spared only two of the children. Family legend tells that one daughter kept the younger son away from the family until the danger had passed.
The children of Andrew and Mary Allen were Thomas N. Allen, 1843-1867; Sarah Elizabeth "Sallie" Allen, 1847-1916; Mary L. Allen, 1849-1867; Andrew J. Allen, 1852-1867; Elvira Frances Allen, 1854-1867; James M. Allen, 1856-1863; William W. Allen, 1858-1867; and Rufus Lafayette Allen, 1862-1931.
Thomas Allen survived the Civil War, but lost his life with the illness that claimed his brothers and sisters. Sallie was the surviving sister who spent the rest of her life caring for her family. Had it not been for Sallie's vigilance in keeping her younger brother, Rufus, away from the rest of the family, the Allens of Wheeler Grove would not be here today. Fifth and sixth generation descendants of Andrew and Mary Allen still make their homes in the Wheeler Grove Community. Andrew, Mary, and their children rest in Wheeler Cemetery.
[Source: Families of Alcorn County-Volume II, submitted by Dennis Allen] transcribed by Pat Lancaster
Frederick "Fred" Allen was born in 1893, in the Wheeler Grove Community to Rufus Lafayette Allen and Sarah Bobo "Sallie" Whitlow Allen. He grew up on the family farm helping with the crops and livestock. He was never as strong as his brothers.
Fred was blessed to have Sudie L. Burns become his wife. Sudie was born in 1898, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dock Burns. They made their home in a small frame house beside Wheeler Grove Road, and Sudie devoted her life to caring for Fred. They never had children of their own, but Sudie spent many hours with her sister-in-law, Florence Allen, helping her care for her large family. It was said of Fred that he knew more about bringing up children than anyone else because he was always ready to give advice to his brothers on how to discipline their children. On one occasion, he was given a swift kick by his brother, Will, after he offered his opinion one time too many.
Sudie was always delighted to get to keep her nieces and nephews and their children later on. She was an excellent cook, said to make the best egg pies around. She always used six "bantie" eggs to make her pies. The younger children were afraid of Fred, but he was successful in breaking the youngsters from biting one another. He would bite them with his yellowing teeth, and they did not need a repeat treatment.
Fred never learned to drive a car and depended on family and friends for transportation. He owned a pair of mules named Pat and Callie. Fred and the team did a bit of farming with his nephews' help.
As Fred grew older, he became disabled, and was bedfast much of the time. He became a cantankerous old man, demanding a lot of attention from Sudie. She was always there to fulfill his needs. His nephews kept his wood cut in winter, and some of the family stopped by every day or so to see what Sudie needed.
Fred died in 1966, and Sudie lived a few years longer. She moved away from their little home and died in 1974. They are buried together in Wheeler Cemetery.
[Source: Families of Alcorn County-Volume II, submitted by Bobby Joe Allen] transcribed by Pat Lancaster.
ALLEN, Rufus Lafayette
Rufus Lafayette Allen, 1862-1931, was born in Alcorn County to Andrew Allen, 1816-1891, and Mary H. Smith Allen, 1821- 1887. His parents migrated to the Wheeler Grove Community from Rockingham County, North Carolina. Rufus grew up on the farm with his parents and older sister, Sallie.
In 1884, Rufus married Sarah Bobo "Sallie" Whitlow, 1864-1941. Sallie was the daughter of James M. "Mose" Whitlow, 1832-1882, and Lucy J. Burns Whitlow, 1837-1870, who came to Alcorn County from South Carolina. Sallie was a sixth generation descendant of Gabriel Bobo, born in Flourney, France about 1670. He came to the United States and settled in Virginia.
Rufus was a prosperous farmer and herdsman with large herds of both sheep and cattle. Rufus and Sallie made their home in a rustic, two-story frame house. They spent most of their time in the large kitchen where Sallie cooked over the big fireplace and did her baking in a woodburning stove. Her nieces say that she baked the best biscuits and fried the best country ham. Their bachelor son, Andy, had an especially nice bedroom with beautiful furnishings. The homestead had barns, stables and a carriage house.
Rufus and Sallie were the parents of seven children:
1. Wallace J. Allen, 1886-1953, married Lena Lawson, 1894-1979;
2. Andrew L. "Andy" Allen, 1887-1958, never married;
3. Thomas Newton "Tom" Allen, 1889-1958, married in 1907, Jennie Cobb, 1887-1966;
4. Jennie Mae "Mary" Allen, 1891-1964, married in 1908, Wilson McKinney Morton Jr., 1884-1968;
5. Frederick "Fred" Allen, 1893-1966, married Sudie L. Burns, 1898-1974;
6. Willie Frank "Will" Allen, 1895-1947, married in 1915. Willie Florence Latch, 1899-1952; and
7. Harry Bruce "Short" Allen, 1898-1964, married in 1917, Ophelia C. Green, 1900-1989.
Rufus and Sallie, their children and spouses are all buried in Wheeler Cemetery. Many of their descendants still make their homes in the Wheeler Grove Community.
[Source: Families of Alcorn County-Volume II, submitted by Archie Wilson] transcribed by Pat Lancaster.
BEEMER, George H.
Beemer, George H., is the popular and able superintendent of the Taylor Compress Company, of Corinth, and also of the Corinth Ice Company, in each of which corporations he is a stockholder. He has held his present offices since 1902, prior to which time he had been a clerical employee in the Corinth offices of the Southern railway for a period of twelve years. He is well known in the city and is recognized as an able executive and progressive business man. The plant of the Taylor Compress Company is one of the largest in the State, and in the same an average of about 50,000 bales of cotton is handled each year. Mr. Beemer is a native of the State of Alabama, and there he was reared and educated. The family was originally founded in Virginia, whence representatives finally removed to Alabama. The father of the subject of this review was a loyal soldier of the Confederacy in the Civil war. Mr. Beemer is a stanch adherent of the Democratic party and is prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity and also affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He has passed the official chairs in the local lodge, chapter and council bodies of the Masonic order, is a member also of the Corinth commandery of Knights Templars and is a noble of the Temple of the Mystic Shrine in the city of Meridian.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
BILLS, John Daniel
Bills, John Daniel, of Corinth, has been prominent in the business, civic, official and military history of Mississippi, throughout whose confines his name is well known and highly honored, and he is entitled to special consideration within the pages of this work. Mr. Bills was born at New Albany, Union county, Miss., which was then a portion of Pontotoc county, March 2, 1839, and is a son of John and Susan (Powell) Bills, the former of whom was born March 23, 1791. and the latter May 24, 1799. His paternal grandfather, Daniel Bills, was a member of the Society of Friends, commonly designated as Quakers, and came from England to America in the colonial days. He served as commissary in the War of the Revolution. He married Deborah Denman, whose brother John was a gallant soldier in the Continental line, having met his death in the battle of Bunker Hill. John Powell, maternal grand father of the subject of this sketch, a soldier in the Revolutionary war, was a prominent figure in the Baptist church in North Carolina and his son Ransom was a member of the legislature of that State. John D. Bills completed a course of study in the academy at Ripley, Miss., and that he made good use of the advantages thus afforded him is evident from the success to which he attained as a teacher in the schools of his native State. He devoted his attention to the pedagogic profession for five years and took up the study of law in the office of Green & Strickland, of Ripley, being admitted to the bar at the March term of the circuit court in Tippah county, in 1861, Judge John W. Thompson presiding. He had initiated the practice of his profession but soon abandoned the same to go forth in defense of the cause of the Confederate States. On March 26, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Thirty-second Mississippi infantry. His regiment participated in but one battle up to the time of his capture, and he himself was not present at this engagement, having at the time been confined to the hospital with a severe attack of typhoid fever. Upon his recovery he rejoined his command, in which he was promoted lieutenant and at once made secretary of the brigade examining board to examine newly elected officers as to their competency, and also judge advocate of the regiment. Later he acted as assistant inspector general on the staff of Gen. M. P. Lowrey. While thus serving he was captured by the enemy, a few days before the battle of Chickamauga, and he thereafter remained a prisoner of war until the close of the great internecine conflict, though General Lowrey made frequent efforts to effect his exchange. He was confined at Johnstons Island, Point Lookout and Fort Delaware, from which last place he was released in May, 1865. He has never abated his interest in his old comrades and is now (1906) commander of Albert Sydney Johnston Camp, No. 1164, United Confederate Veterans, at Corinth. After the war Mr. Bills taught school for one year — at Lebanon and Baldwyn, Miss., and he then engaged in the mercantile business, in which he has since continued, having built up a prosperous enterprise and being one of the leading merchants of the city of Corinth. He was established in business at Baldwyn, Prentiss county, until 1878, when he transferred his interests to the city of Corinth, with whose industrial and civic affairs he has since been prominently identified. He served as mayor of Baldwyn and also as a member of its board of aldermen, and in 1876 he was elected to represent his district in the State senate, succeeding Hon. John M. Stone, being re-elected for a second term and not becoming a candidate for a third. He has been a most uncompromising advocate of the cause of the Democratic party and in 1875 was president of the largest Democratic club in northern Mississippi, his record in this connection leading to his nomination and election to the State senate. While in the legislature he made a high reputation as a parliamentarian and as a faithful and able legislator. He was chairman of the Democratic legislative caucus which nominated Gen. J. Z. George for the United States senate, and later he was urged to become a candidate for lieutenant-governor of the State, but declined the overtures. He was chairman of the temperance committee of Corinth in 1884, when the prohibition of the liquor business was effected in the city, and he was the leader of the temperance forces during the seven years' war waged by the liquor dealers in the courts and the legislature. His work in this line he considers the most important in his career and in the same he takes the greatest gratification. In recognition of his services the temperance folk of the city presented him with a fine gold-headed cane. He has served effectively as postmaster here during the second administration of President Cleveland. Mr. Bills has been a zealous member of the Baptist church for the past fifty-four years and was moderator of the Tishomingo Baptist association for ten years. For a number of years he was a trustee of the Corinth female college. On June 5, 1861, Mr. Bills was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Caldwell, a daughter of Warren and Jane A. Caldwell, of Holly Springs, and following is a brief record concerning the children of this union: Luther William died in the summer of 1862; Mary is the wife of Claud J. Pound, of Corinth; Lowrey is the wife of Robt. T. Estes, of this city; Margaret is the wife of William D. Browning, of Cleveland, Ohio; and Annie remains at the parental home.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
BOX, Patsy Mitchell
Patsy Mitchell Box was born 15 or 18 April 1785, in Virginia (1850 census) or South Carolina (1860 Mortality Schedule). Patsy Mitchell married Robert Box in Laurens County, South Carolina about 1803 and had eleven children (four died before 1810 and seven children are named in 1856 deed "heirs of Robert Box"). Patsy and Robert Box family lived in South Carolina, Livingston County, Kentucky in 1810, Perry County, Tennessee in 1820, Hardeman County, Tennessee in 1830, then Tippah County, Mississippi by 1837 where they resided till their deaths. The 1860 Mortality Schedule of Mississippi states that Patsy Box died of a fever at age 72, (actually 74) in October of 1859 in an area of Tippah County, Mississippi that would later become Alcorn County, Mississippi.
[Source: Transcribed and submitted by Vicki Burress Roach] transcribed by Pat Lancaster.
FINK, Christopher Ludwig
Christopher Ludwig Fink, 1844-1915, was born in Hamburg, Germany, married Josephine Reese. Christopher came to America and worked in New York. He fell and broke his back. His mother came over to America and tried to get him to return to Germany. He refused so she told him he would be disowned. Later, he was working in Coushatta, Louisiana. The company he worked for had a boiler which was made by Adams Machine Shop in Corinth, Mississippi. The boiler blew up. Adams Machine Shop was sued. Christopher told in court that there wasn't anything wrong with the boiler it had been over-fired. They had been told not to over fire it, but they did it anyway. Adams told him if he would move to Corinth, he would have a job for life. He loaded up his family and moved to Corinth. When they arrived they stayed in the Railroad Hotel in Corinth.
Josephine, 1854-1913, was born in New Orleans, Louisiana. She was in an orphans in Summit, Mississippi. She was adopted by the Reese family.
The Finks had eight children:
1. Josephine, 1873-1875
2. Anna, 1878-1892
3. Amelia, 1880-1966
4. Mary, 1885-1953, married Jesse L. Robinson; no children.
5. Rosa Lee, 1883-1973, married Esra D. Moore. The had five children: Byrdo, Mittie Mae, Lockie G., Beatrice and Louise.
6. Maude, 1887-1968, married John Henry Johnson. They had one daughter, Mary Josephine.
7. Louise, 1889-1965, married Marcus Cleveland Shearin. They had 10 children: Robert Fletcher, Thelma Louise, Albert Fink, Marcus Whitmore, Mary Ella, Alma Margaret, Annie Ruth, a set of twins (stillborn) and Christopher Hampton.
8. Ida May, 1891-1943, married J.W. Carmack. They had four children: J.W., Lillie May, Authur Edward, and Paul Thomas.
The Finks lived on Proper Street in Corinth. They were members of the First Presbyterian Church. Mr. Fink later had a shoe shop on Tate Street. The Finks are buried in the City Cemetery in Corinth.
[Source: Families of Alcorn County-Volume II, Submitted by Josephine Dunn] transcribed by Pat Lancaster.
Bryant Flanigan, born South Carolina 1801, married Elizabeth Steenson December 8, 1825, Lawrence County, Alabama. Her family originated Stephenson in Scotland. Bryant's father was John Flanigan. Their children, Hannah, Jane and William, were born in Lawrence County, Alabama. Harry and Julia were born in Tennessee in 1832 and 1834 respectively. The others, Thomas F. Elizabeth, Malinda, George, Green, Benjamin, Martha and Taylor, were born in Tishomingo County. Bryant was one of the first two tried (for fighting) at Jacinto. Where they all went is a mystery. However, Thomas stayed in Alacorn County and William in tishomingo County.
Gerge, Green and Ben served in the Confederacy. After the war Green settled in McNairy County, Tennessee. Thomas married Nancy Jane Newman, whose parents were migrated from Virginia through Tennessee. Thomas and Nancy's children were:
1. Elizabeth "Betsy" married Jessie Abel (both buried Juliette), children, stepdaughter Mary Elizabeth married Zack Chase, children Robert, ruby Byrd, John Marion an Minnie McCoy; William Thomas married LulaStone (both buried Juliette), children Jessie, Elizabeth Newman, Magie Wood, Ella Mae Anderson and Mary Ellen Rhea. Nancy Ann married Kelly Prince; John Franklin (buried Juliette) married Elsie McLemore/Thelma Hill, daughter Leo; Amanda married Joseph Williams; Charles J. married Mattie McGaughy.
2. Edith Sara Ead married Younger Carpenter (both buried in Wellington, Texas), children Vina, Mary, William, John Marcus, Artie Bell and Georgia Pearl.
3. Zack Henry married Edler Blakeney of Burnsville (both died 1953, buried Kaufman County, Texas), children Woodie, Cordie, Kelcy, Dolly, Vera, no surviving heirs.
4. Usley, son Thomas Allen Flanagan, married Luther Abel (Usley andLuther buried Juliette), Thomas buried Macedonia.
5. Martha married Bill Palmer (Martha buried Afton, Texas, Bill buried Wichita Falls).
6. Nancy "Nanny" married Oliver Knighton (both buried Alcorn County), sons Willie and Madison.
7. Mary Shelby married George Maddox (both buried Williams Cemetery), children Nolie marrie Dovie Romine (both buried Farmington Baptist with children Milton and May Lelia.) Ernest married Bernice Williams (both buried Memphis, Tennessee), children Norris (buried California) and Ralph (living California); Ada married A.P. Dean (both buried Henry Cemetery wih son Tommy); Ezra (buried Corinth) married Minnie Reece, children James and Ezralee; John Allen (buried Kenosha, Wisconsin) married Izora Warren, children Annetter (buried Juliette), Jean, Harold Ray, Mary Nell and Jerry; Leroy (buried Henry Cemetery) married NoraScruggs, daughter Joan; Lillian married James E. "Tubby" Mays (both buried Williams Cemetery), children, stepdaughter Willa Dean Newman, sons James Jr., Bobby and Keith, daughter Nancy; Paul T. (buried Farmington Baptist), married Pansy Rhoads, daughter Cherry Gail, last married Marguerie Maddox.
8. Louisa "lucy"married Dee Peters (both buried Hopewell), children Nancy, Annie Pearl, Henry, James, William, Julia, Ruby, Clarence, Al and Myrtle.
9. Willie Rebecca married Whit McLemore (both buried Alcorn County), children, Eber, Lula, Grace, Mancil, Floyd, James and Cletus.
10. Emma married Jessie Thomas Brown (buried Elliott, Mississippi), children, Amos, Jessie, Willie, Jeffie, frank, Lela, Retha and Letha (twins).
[Source: Families of Alcorn County-Volume II, Submitted by Nancy Hosch] transcribed by Pat Lancaster.
IJAMS, Charles B.
Educator; born Corinth, Miss., Sept. 21, 1870; Welsh-Norwegian descent; son of G. Lafayette and Elda L. (Atkins) Ijams; father's occupation farming; paternal grandparents Burgess and Katherine (Woodard) Ijams; maternal grandparents Reuben and Lettie (Mullens) Atkins; educated Essary Springs and Henderson, Tenn., and Corinth, Miss., high school; graduated Essary Springs, with degree of B.S. in 1894, and Henderson, Tenn., with degree of A.M. 1897; in early life was reared on a farm; married Edna Carroll Aug. 17, 1904; member Red Men and Masonic Lodge; Junior Warden Masonic Lodge; was formerly Co. Supt. Chester Co., Tenn., 1899-1905; Co. Supt. Hardeman Co., Tenn., 1905-6; former vice-pres. of Georgia Robertson Christian College, Henderson, Tenn., for eleven years; Supt. of Chester Co. six years; Principal of Bolivar High School one year; President Tenn. State Teachers' Association one year; Teacher of Science Jackson High School five months; Principal of West Jackson for past three years; instructor in State Peabody Institute for past seven years; member Christian church (Clerk and Treasurer).
[Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
September 28, 1835 - December 12, 1877, married Jane Rinehart. They had six children.
1. Ranz married Martha Maddox and was father to Robert Anderson and John Mitt.
2. William Elijah, March 9, 1970 - August 26, 1946, married Laura Matilda Rowsey, January 25, 1880 - December 25, 1958 on April 11, 1896. Their children are: Lorena Richardson, Major, Arlin, Velma Harris, Howard, Verna Richardson and Sybil.
3. Sanders "Sand" married Eulae Ulaye Houston on September 19, 1889, and was father to: Charles and Fannie Leona. He worked on GMO Railroad in Jackson, Tennessee.
4. John married Victoria Davis and was father to: Annie Miller and Jerry. They lived in Joaquin, Texas.
5. Joe married Lena Vanderford and had one child.
6. Robert Edward, February 13, 1871 - November 4, 1854, married Nancy Elizabeth Rorie, November 9, 1867 - February 10, 1948, on December 22, 1893. He was father to nine children: Earie Roscoe, Allie Rufus, Cora Lee Miller, Elgin Alvin "Dick," Leslie Clay Dess, archi Clelland, Laura Mabel Tucker Glidwell, Nora Mae and Carlee.
7. Mary Bettie, January 22, 1857 - April 14, 1939, married William R. "Will" Whittemore, December 15, 1860 - November 19, 1935, on January 20, 1879. She was mother to nine children: Annie Jane Rinehart, E.T. Whittemore, Jasie Lueler Burcham, Emma Caroline Newcomb, Victoria Elzie Rinehart, Dora Dene Barnes, Lucy B. Hearn, Willie and John Jonas.
[Source: Families of Alcorn County-Volume II, Submitted by Rob Glidewell] transcribed by Pat Lancaster.
PICKETT, Richard Orrick
Lawyer, colonel of cavalry, C. S. Army, was born August 22, 1814, in Fauquier County, Va., and died November 27, 1898, at Leighton, Va.; son of Steptoe and Sarah Orrlck (Chilton) Pickett, who moved to Alabama in 1829 and settled in Limestone County; grandson of Martin and Ann (Blackwell) Pickett, of Warrenton, Fauquier County, Va., the former who was lieutenant colonel of the Third Virginia infantry regiment, of Gen. Washington's Army, Revolutionary War, who was a delegate to the convention at Williamsburg, Va., in 1776, which declared Virginia independent of the British Empire, was a delegate from Fauquier County to the convention of 1788, which accepted the Federal constitution, and of Charles and Elizabeth (Blackwell) Orrlck; great-grandson of Joseph and Lucie (Steptoe) Black well, and of Orrick and Felicia (Corbin) Chilton; great-great-grandson of William and Sarah (Orrick) Chilton, of Currioman, Westmoreland County, Va., the former a descendant of John Chilton, who came to Virginia in 1660, bought a tract of land in Westmoreland County, and called his estate Currioman, for whom the town of Chilton, Va., was named; great-great-great-grandson of John and Susannah (Hamond) Orrick, of Anne Arundel County, Md., the former a descendant of the Orrick family of Scotland and Maryland, who signed the Regman Roll in 1296, were lairds of a barony in Scotland; great-great-great-great-grandson of Col. Thomas and Lady Rebecca (Larkln) Hamond. The Chiltons came from an old English family of French origin, tracing their lineage to the time of the Crusades. The name was written de Chilton. Col. Pickett was educated in the common schools; studied law in the office of James Irvine at Florence; was admitted to the bar in 1845; and began the practice of law at Moulton, where he remained until the outbreak of the War of Secession. He was elected judge of Lawrence County in 1846; was a representative in the legislature in 1849, 1853, 1855, 1857, and 1861, and during the latter session was elected adjutant and inspector general of the state. He resigned that position soon after, and raised a company of infantry for the C. S. Army, which became Co. H, Thirty-fifth Alabama infantry, and of which he was elected captain. He led his company at Baton Rouge, Champion Hill and Bakers Creek; was captured at Corinth, Miss.; exchanged at Vicksburg; entered the cavalry and became colonel of the Tenth Alabama cavalry, Roddy's command, with which he served until the end of the war. He resumed the practice of law at Florence; was a member of the constitutional convention of 1875; and was elected to the legislature, 1884-1885, and 1886-1887. He was a delegate to the Democratic national conventions which nominated Seymour, Buchanan and Cleveland for president; and was a Royal Arch Mason. Married: January 8, 1837, in Florence, to Fannie Louisa, daughter of William and Margaret Sarah (Wrenshall) Boggs, of Pittsburgh, Pa., the former a native of Ireland, the latter born in England, a daughter of Lady Spencer who married Frank Wrenshall of Ireland, and a descendant of the Duke of Argyle. Children: 1. Sarah Benington, deceased, m. Samuel Darwin; 2. Richard Orrick, d. in infancy; 3. Julia Plummer, deceased; 4. Fannie Corbin, deceased; 5. Emily Irvin, m. Stephen Ewing Rice, Apalachicola, Fla.; 6. Lucy Blackwell, deceased, m. Charles H. Patton; 7. Steptoe, m. Paul S. King, Leighton; 8. Richard Orrick, d. in infancy; 9. Katie Canton, deceased. Last residence: Leighton.
[History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, 1921 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Son of Benjamin Franklin Williams and Mollie Boone Williams, born at Rienzi, Mississippi, October 9, 1872. A page in the Mississippi Legislature at the age of ten years, former United States Senator Thomas P. Gore, who had not then entirely lost his eyesight, being also a page at the same time. His father was elected sheriff of Alcorn County, Mississippi, in 1878, being reelected and holding said office until his death in 1887, at which time his son Boone was between fifteen and sixteen years of age. His disabilities being removed by the court he was appointed sheriff to fill the unexpired term of his father. In 1888 he removed to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he was employed in an abstract office for about two years, and two years later he removed to a point near Sisterville, West Virginia, where he took charge of a coal mining company, remaining there until 1893, when he removed to Lehigh, Indian Territory, becoming bookkeeper for the J. J. Phillips, Mercantile Company, which afterwards was succeeded by the Felix Phillips Mercantile Company. Later with Felix Phillips, V. S. Cook and Dr. L. A. Conners, all now deceased, he and some others organized the first bank in that part of the Choctaw Nation, it being the Bank of Lehigh, later succeeded by the First National Bank of Lehigh. Boone Williams and others before the leasing act of 1904 was passed, secured leases from the Creek Nation on the famous Glenn Pool land, but same were not recognized by the Federal authorities. This oil company was known as the Indian Territory Oil Company. At another period, Boone Williams with Ex-Governor Humphrey of Kansas and others secured leases on zinc and lead territory in what is now Ottawa County, Oklahoma, and started operations but were forced to abandon the project for the reason at that time the machinery which is used today was not known and operation under the old system was too expensive.
He was an outstanding citizen in the territory now embraced by Coal County during his residence there, progressive and patriotic in every public endeavor such as building of school houses and commercial organizations and development of coal fields. At one time he was president of the Cattlemen's Association in the Choctaw Nation. He promoted the organization of an ice plant which was located at Phillips half way between Coalgate and Lehigh. He was a member of the executive committee of the single statehood association which fostered the movement for the admission of Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory as one state. Being nominated as the Democratic candidate for delegate to the constitutional convention from the Lehigh and Coalgate District, he was elected. In 1910 he was appointed by Governor Haskell as a member of the Capitol Commission. Afterwards he engaged in the insurance and real estate business until 1915, when he was appointed under the administration of Governor Williams as Warden of the penitentiary at Granite, Oklahoma. Holding this position for four years, he then resumed his insurance and real estate connections at Coalgate. In 1924 he removed to McAlester, Oklahoma, becoming secretary of the McAlester Chamber of Commerce. In 1926 he removed to Tulsa, Oklahoma, engaging in the brokerage business dealing in oil leases and oil royalties.
In 1927, his health failing, he retired from business and died on January 12, 1930. He belonged to the Masons, Elks and Knights of Pythias, being a member of the Alpha Class of the Masonic Lodge at McAlester, Knight Templar, and was a member of the Presbyterian Church. He was buried at Lehigh on January 14th, 1930, burial services being conducted from the home of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Farmer and laid to rest in the Lehigh cemetery under the auspices of the Masonic Lodge.In 1900 he was married to Miss Agnes Larmour of Lehigh, Oklahoma, who survives him.
[Source: "Chronicles of Oklahoma", Volume 8, No. 3, September, 1930 - Submitted by L.C.]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails