"Biographies of Chickasaw County, MS
|Amos McLemore was a planter of Lauderdale County, Mississippi, born in Chickasaw County, December 3, 1829. His parents, William and Martha (Joiners) McLemore, were born in North Carolina and Tennessee in 1800, respectively, moved to Covington County when he was but a child, and in 1838 they moved to Lauderdale County and settled near where Meridian is now situated. Amos was married in 1855 to Miss Mary Jane McShan, of Lauderdale County, by whom he had nine children: William, Andrew, Virginia, Fannie, Acquila, Laura, Kirkland, and a son who lived only a month. At the opening of the Civil War, Mr. McLemore enlisted in the Confederate Army and upon the return of peace, he turned his attention to planting, notwithstanding the fact that, during the war, his plantation had been rifled of all valuables, and had grown up to weeds. He turned his attention to the culture of cotton, in which he was quite successful and made money. He owned one thousand acres of land, three miles northeast of Meridian, MS. He was considered a self-made man, well posted on general topics of the day, benevolent, charitable, and generous, but not active in politics.|
|[Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi, Volume 2 (1891]|
|Added 28 Feb 2017|
|Lewis, Thomas Wiley|
|LEWIS, Thomas Wiley, minister of the gospel; born Chickasaw Co., Miss., Jan. 15, 1869; son of James Asbury and Elizabeth (Foster) Lewis; fatherís occupation planter; paternal grandfather Wiley Lewis, paternal grandmother was a Miss Summers prior to her marriage; maternal grandparents Moses D. and Nancy (Tunnell) Foster; educated in Houston, Miss.; taught school two years in early life; married Mary Naomi Whitson Dec. 21, 1881; member Masons, Knights Templar, Shrine I.O.O.F. and K.P.; has been a member of the general conferences of Methodist church three times; member of Board of Church extension for 12 years; now pastor of First Methodist church, Memphis, Tenn.|
|[Whoís Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]|
|Added 19 Jul 2015|
|Allen, William H|
|WILLIAM H. ALLEN was born in Okolona, Mississippi, May 27, 1856. His father, Rev. Archibald Campbell Allen, D. D., was born in Rocky Face, North Carolina, March 18, 1818, and was there reared; he was educated for the ministry at Emory and Henry College, joined the North Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal church. South, and in 1851 removed to Mississippi where he became identified with the most important interests of the church in that State and filled many of its most responsible positions. In 1874 he moved to Dallas, Texas, and joined the North Texas Conference Methodist Episcopal church, South, of which he remained a member until his death, which occurred January 29, 1880. lie had many charges in Texas, taking an active part in all the religious and educational interests of the church, and was at one time president of the Dallas Female College, at Dallas, Texas. His wife, Mary A. (Tucker) Allen, was born in Statesville, North Carolina, June 20, 1826, and still survives him. They had seven children, of whom the subject is the fifth child.|
William H. Allen was reared in Mississippi. His education was received at the Southern University, Greensboro, Alabama, from which he graduated in 1875. He at once moved to Texas and at the age of nineteen, in the session of 1875-76, he was professor of mathematics in Marvin College. In 1877-78 he occupied the same chair in Dallas College, and then accepted the presidency of Marvin College at Waxahachie, which position he held until 1880, when he retired from the school room and went to Terrell, Kaufman county, Texas, was admitted to the bar and began to devote bis entire attention to the legal profession. Here he has continued to reside, and now enjoys a large and lucrative practice and is one of the leading members of the bar in Texas.
October 3, 1882, he married Miss Sidney Penn, of Waxahachie, Texas. To this union are born two children, Sidney and Archibald C.
Mr. Allen is a Knight Templar Mason and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. South, and, thongh he has never been a candidate for any office, ho takes a lively interest in the political issues of the country, being a zealous supporter of the Democratic party and a strong advocate of its principles.
|[Biographical Souvenir of the State of Texas, F A Battey & Co 1889 -- Transcribed by Gene P]|
|Added 17 Aug 2014|
|Prude, James Oscar|
|PRUDE, JAMES OSCAR, planter and county official, was born September 23, 1856, on his father's plantation in Tuscaloosa County; son of William Wellington and Lucretia Eliza (Owen) Prude, the former a native of Jefferson County, the only child of his parents, although each by former marriages had large families, and after the death of his parents he became a member of the household of his half brother and guardian. Col. James McAdory, was placed in the Jack Baker school at Jonesboro, where he remained four years, receiving a sound practical education, grew to manhood and became a large planter and slave owner in Jefferson County, owning the "Glenn Springs" property, west of the present city of Bessemer, going in 1848 to Tuscaloosa County, was for many years member of the commission board of Tuscaloosa, rendered great aid to the Confederate cause as a manufacturer of clothing and shoes for the soldiers, died and is buried in Evergreen cemetery, Tuscaloosa; his wife, was born at what is now Birmingham, the Owen home standing on the site of the present Louisville & Nashville depot; grandson of William and Celia (McAshan) Prude, the former a native of Laurens District, S. C., who in 1815 settled on the Jones Valley trail in the Pleasant Hill community, near what is now McCalla, Jefferson County, removing to Tuscaloosa County in 1825, where he purchased lands twelve miles from the county site, in the Sipsey River bottoms, and conducted a cattle ranch, the latter a native of Ca Ira, Buckingham County, Va. . who removed with her father to Christian County, Ky. , where she met and married her first husband, Thomas McAdory, whose widow she was at the time of her marriage to Mr. Prude, and of Thomas and Mary Eliza (Elmore) Owen, the former a native of Abbeville District, S. C., was educated at the old LaGrange college, near Guntersville; located in Okolona, Miss., in 1849, and passed the remainder of his life there; great-grandson of John and Mary Prude, of Laurens District, S. C., the former a Revolutionary soldier, and of David and Lucy (McGraw) Owen, the former a Methodist minister who are both buried at Russellville, Franklin County; great-greatgrandson of John Prude of Manchester, England, who came to America prior to the Revolutionary War, and located in Charleston, S. C. The Prude family is of French extraction, having emigrated from Normandy to England. The McAdory family is of Scotch-Irish origin, and the Owens are of Welsh stock. Mr. Prude received his preparatory education at the Pleasant Hill academy, under Prof. I. W. McAdory, 1870-73, and entered the University of Alabama from which he graduated with the B. S. degree, 1876. After completing his own education he was made principal of a rural school in Tuscaloosa, which position he held during 1877-79. During that time he read medicine under an eminent practitioner, but later abandoned the idea of becoming a physician. He was appointed clerk of the probate court of Tuscaloosa County, serving under Judge Newbern Hobbs Brown, and held that position during 1880-84, aft|
|[History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Mrs. Marie (Bankhead) Owen, 1921 ¬≠ Transcribed by AFOFG]|
|Added 1 Jun 2012|
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor
Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor