Welcome to  Genealogy Trails


Covington County Churches

 

 

Hopewell Presbyterian Church
Hopewell Presbyterian Church was organized in April 1830, largely by a group of Scots immigrants. Until that time, the group's nearest access to a church of their denomiation was the Sharon Presbyterian Church, which had been organized in 1827 near Magee and lay some 10 miles away by horse and wagon. With adesire to worship closer to home, the little congregation began meeting in a log school house owned by D. W. McInnis and located on his property, about five miles from its present location, on a ridge overlooking a spring still flowing and still known as Hopewell Springs. The present church was erected in 1857 and is still in use today.
[Excerpted from "The History of Hopewell Presbyterian Church" published by the Church]


 

Back

This page last updated on -- 20 Nov 2009


 ©Genealogy Trails