History of Towns
Greene County was formed in 1811, named for Gen. Nathan Green a Revolutionary War hero.
Leakesville. Named for Governor Walter Leake. Incorporated in 1904.
Avent. Sixteen miles southwest of Leakesville.
Avera. Fifteen miles northwest of Leakesville, Avera was formed in 1880 and named for an early settler. Old Avers, established prior to 1860 by Powell Avera, was located about one mile from the present town. Powell Avera's son established the present town, and no trace of the original settlement can be found.
Bethea. Twenty-nine miles northeast of Leakesville. Established in 1910 and was named for a local landowner.
Bothwell. Three miles north of Avera, was established in 1919 as a sawmill town. The Fotch Lumber Company operated a mill her for about 10 years until the timber was depleted.
Browntown. Four and one-half miles southeast of Leakesville.
Byrd. Fourteen miles northwest of Leakesville. A sawmill there owned by the Cowan Lumber Company. Town named for Nick Byrd.
Carson City. Fifteen miles northwest of Leakesville.
Clark. About three miles north of Leakesville. Named for J B Clark who bought land there in 1910.
Colgreen. Sixteen miles west of State Line. Named for a sawmill operator.
Denco. Six miles south of Neely. Name origin unknown, but could be named for a lumber company established there in 1925.
Dueitt. One mile East of Leakesville. Named for the owenr of a store and sawmill in the early days.
Garner. An extinct town near Neely. It was a sawmill town.
Herrinburg. Six miles east of Avera. Site of a sawmill and turpentine still, named for owner.
Hillman. Four miles southwest of Leakesville.
Indian Hill. Twelve miles northwest of Leakesville.
Iola. Sixteen miles southwest of Leakesville. Sawmill town named for the mill owner's daughter.
Janet. Sawmill town six miles northwest of Neely, named for wife of mill owner. After mill closed it was later knows as Pleasant Hill Community.
Jonathan. Eight miles northeast of Leakesville, named for an early landowner.
Knobtown. Fifteen miles north of Leakesville.
Leaf. Six miles south of McLain. Named for Leaf River. Originally settled in 1847 and known as Salem. Home of Salem Academy. Founded by W W Thompson who later served as Superintendent of Education of Greene County.
McLain. Eighteen miles west of Leakesville. Established in 1902 and named for a pioneer settler.
Mohaba. A farming community ten miles east of Leakesville. Name of Post office located there.
Neely. Twelve miles west of Leakesville. Originally known as Washington. Renamed for C J Neely, the first postmaster.
Piave. Six miles north of Bothwell. One of the largest mills in the south was built here.
Pine Level. Five miles from Leakesville, named for it's location.
Rancho Ande. Fourteen miles northwest of Leakesville.
Reba. Eight miles north of Neely. Lumber mill town. When the mill closed, the town was abandoned overnight.
Rounsaville. Sawmill town seven miles east of Leakesville. A post office established in 1907 but was later abolished.
Royce. Three miles southeast of McLain. Established as a logging camp in 1928.
Sandhill. Also known as Sandrock. Established as a farming community in 1890 two miles northwest of Bothwell.
State Line. In the northeast corner of the county about two miles from the Alabama State Line. Founded about 1856. The settlement was the only trading point in the county in the early days and the Chickasaway River was sued to raft logs to Moss Point. At one time the largest turpentine still in the county was located there.
Union. Seven miles east of Richton. Formed as a school community in 1912. Named for the bringing together of a scattered communtiy into a school district.
Vernal. Twelve miles southwest of Leakesville. Established in 1908 and was named for one of the Scottish settlers who came here to build homes and engage in farming.
Wilson. Ten Miles northeast of McLain. Mill town which became extinct when the mill closed.
This page last updated on -- 19 Jan 2014
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor