Biographies  C-D

 

C. L. CAUSEY

(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 140)

Born Amite County, Mississippi, September 17, 1882.  Married Miss Mattie P. Moore in 1906 by whom there were 3 children, Martha Moore, Claude1 and Annie Rae. Came to Harrison County, 1904, engaged in mercantile business, selling out after some years and was elected Assessor in 1927 and has been serving continuously since.

 

ROBERT CLIFTON COWAN

(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 140)

Born in Harrison County, on September 2, 1881, son of the late Prof. D. I. Cowan and Miss Lillian Grayson Cowan.  Was educated at Mississippi State College and University of Mississippi and has practiced law in Gulfport since 1905.  He was a member of Mississippi Legislature from 1904 to 1906 representing Harrison County. He also served as County Prosecuting Attorney for nine years. He is serving his third term as District Attorney and has no opposition for the succeeding term.

His wife was the former Miss Shirley Robinson, and they have two children, Mrs. LeRoy Letcher, nee Shirley Cowan, of Montgomery, and Robert Cowan.

 

RICHARD G . COX

(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 141)

President of Gulf Park College, was born in Edensburg, Pennsylvania, in 1881. He graduated from high school and attended college in Ohio, completing requirements for a bachelors degree in Hiram College in 1902. His first teaching experience began in the fall of 1902 in Todd Seminary, Woodstock, Illinois. In succeeding years, he held positions oh the faculty of South Kentucky College, Columbia Military Academy, Drake University, and the Ward-Belmont School.

In 1917 he became President of the Nashville College for Young Women. A year later he went over-seas, and remained for nine months of war service with the Young Men’s Christian Association, as lecturer and educational secretary.  In 1919 Mr. Cox moved to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and joined Colonel J. C. Hardy in the task of establishing Gulf Park College. He became the first President and Colonel Hardy the first Business Manager of the new school. He has been President of Gulf Park College since its opening in 1921, and during this period the institution has become recognized as one of the representative junior colleges of the United States, and one of a very limited number of the leading junior colleges for young women in the entire south.

Mr. Cox was married in 1905 to Elizabeth Maddox of Owenton, Kentucky, who has shared with him his responsibilities as the head executive of Gulf Park College. She has held the position of Dean of the Home Department since the college was first established.

Mr. Cox is a member of the Christian Church, a Thirty-Second Degree Mason, and has served for many years as Director of the Chamber of Commerce of Gulfport. He was Governor of the Seventeenth District of Rotary International in 1925-26. He was President of the American Association of Junior Colleges in 1931.

His hobby, and chief recreation of recent years, has been flying. He holds a private pilot’s license.

 

U. A. CUEVAS

(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 142)

U. A. Cuevas 1860, son of Ursin was born at Fenton, Miss., February 19, Cuevas and Emma Dedeaux Cuevas. He attended St. Stanislaus College at Bay St. Louis. He married Miss Mary La Barden whose father had established the “Batron” store on Bayou Portage about 1850. On the death of Mr. La Barden Mr. Cuevas succeeded to the business which he has conducted to the present day.

A Post Office was established at “Cuevas,” his store, in January, 1893, and he was appointed Postmaster, which position he still holds.

The Cuevas have one child, a son, U. L. Cuevas.  Mr. Cuevas holds the distinction of having caught the second largest Striped Bass in the United States, weighing 21 lbs., caught in Jordan River, on March 12, 1935. It was 33 inches long and 8 inches wide.

 

JAMES RHESTA DENT

(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 143)

President of Gulfport Port Commission and Custom’s House Broker, general forwarding Agent, Stevedore and lawyer. Offices in G. & S. I. Building, Gulfport. Born at Old Westville, Simpson County, Miss., March 27th, 1888, moved to Gulfport in 1907, from Simpson County, as an employee of G. & S. I. Railroad, becoming wharf master under Capt. J. T. Jones. Later became indentified (sic) with the shipping interests of the port. His office handles all kinds of ship commodities, both import and export to all parts of the world.

His hobby is port development. After finishing high school, he attended Mississippi State College, Starkville, and Mississippi College, Clinton. At the beginning of the World War he left Gulfport with Captain “Spec” Hairston as a private and earned his promotion in France to major of engineers, U. S. Army. Among projects that he has fostered are: Creation of Port Commission; law giving the port two mills from Harrison County taxes; securing of compress. and warehouses in North Gulfport and on pier, securing government appropriation of $1,150,000.00 for west pier and warehouse, construction of which is now under way. Member of the American Legion, Masons, Elks, Chamber of Commerce, and Baptist Church.

His wife was Lenie Jane Hollyfield of Simpson County. They have no children.

 

W. K. M. DUKATE

(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 144)

Came to Biloxi from Indiana in 1873, as operator for the New Orleans and Mobile Railroad. He soon after was appointed agent. for the railroad and Southern Express Co. After a few years he married Miss Linda Lienhard. From this union there were six children.

Mr. Dukate then ioined forces with Lazro Lopez and formed the firm of Lopez, Dukate Co., who did a large business in shipping raw oysters and the packing of sea foods.

He was a public spirited citizen and did much toward the prosperity of Biloxi. He built the Dukate Theatre on Howard Ave., and did much toward the construction of the schools, one of which now bears his name. Mr. Dukate , died March 29th, 1916.

His wife, one son, Elbert L., and three daughters survive him and reside in Biloxi. His widow lives on West Beach, near ' Beauvoir.

 

 

Back

Copyright 2006 Genealogy Trails with all rights reserved for original submitters