Biographies  E-F

Thomas Marshall Evans

Mississippi: Contemporary Biography Edited By Dunbar Rowland, 1907 Transcribed by Therman Kellar

Thomas Marshall Evans, who is engaged in the practice of his profession in Gulfport, Harrison county, may consistently be designated as one of the founders and builders of the progressive city which has been evolved from the little village of about 500 population which represented the town at the time when he took up his residence here, less than a decade ago.

Mr. Evans was born in Americus, Jackson county, Miss., July 13, 1862, and is a son of Wesley G. and Susan (Carter) Evans, both of whom were likewise born in this State, the former in Greene county. Wesley G. Evans was numbered among those loyal men who donned the gray uniform and went forth in defense of the Confederacy when the Civil war cast its dark pall over the national horizon. He became a member of Company B, Stead's battalion of Mississippi volunteers, and during his term of service was principally engaged in skirmishing with his command in Mississippi and Alabama. While thus battling for the cause of the South he was elected to the legislature of his State, from Jackson county, and resigned his place in the ranks to assume the no less important duties of the office to which he had been chosen. He followed the vocation of farming, timber getting, and saw milling during the greater part of his active career and was also a minister of the gospel in the Methodist Episcopal church, South, preaching in southeast Mississippi for more than sixty-five years.

Both he and his wife are now deceased and are buried in Coalville Cemetery, near Gulfport, Miss. Thomas M. Evans was born during the climacteric epoch of the Civil war and his boyhood days were passed under the conditions of the period of "reconstruction," when uncertain governmental and civic policies were in evidence here as elsewhere throughout the South. He, however, was able to secure such educational advantages as were offered by the public schools of the time, showing a marked predilection for study and making the best use of his opportunities. In his youth he was identified with farming and with the lumber industry, but in the meanwhile he determined to prepare himself for a wider sphere of endeavor. He accordingly took up the study of law at home, applying himself with diligence and marked power of assimilation and availing himself of such preceptorage as could be secured in directing his technical reading. He continued to be concerned with other lines of work until April 11, 1890, when he passed the examination which gained to him admission to the bar of his native State, said examination having been conducted before Judge Sylvanus Evans, of Enterprise, Miss. He began the practice of his profession at Purvis, Marion county, where he remained a short time and then located in Poplarville, Aug. 1, 1890, remaining there engaged in practice until 1893, when he removed to Scranton, where he continued his professional endeavors until 1896, passing the ensuing two years in Mississippi City. In the fall of 1898 Mr. Evans took up his abode in the embryonic city of Gulfport, which, as before intimated, had at that time about 500 inhabitants. Here he became one of the pioneer representatives of his profession, and in his office was held the first meeting of the mayor and board of aldermen of the newly chartered city. At this meeting he was elected city attorney, serving three years and being then re-elected, in 1901, for a second term of equal duration. He was one of the incorporators of the First National Bank of Gulfport, which absorbed the business of the Bank of Gulfport, of which he had likewise been one of the organizers. In all that has touched the prosperity and best interests of the city, Mr. Evans has manifested an insistent and helpful interest, and he is regarded as one of its most loyal and public-spirited citizens, while he also holds precedence as one of the leading lawyers of Harrison county, retaining a representative clientage and commanding the esteem of all who know him. For five years he was a member of the board of education, in which capacity he did much to forward the interests of education in Gulfport. On the first Monday of January, 1907, he was elected to and assumed the duties of the office of police justice of the city of Gulfport, Miss., for the two ensuing years. He is an active worker in the ranks of the Democratic party and is an able advocate of its cause, while fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order and the Knights of Pythias. He was one of the organizers of the Twenty-fifth Avenue Methodist Episcopal church, South, of whose first board of trustees he was a member, as was he also of the building committee which had charge of the erection of the present attractive church edifice. On Dec. 17, 1891, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Evans to Miss Cora A. Abney, daughter of Dr. Henry C. and Sarah (Slade) Abney, of Poplarville, this State. Mrs. Evans was summoned into eternal rest, at Mosspoint, Jackson county, in 1894, and is survived by one child-Leah Abney. In March, 1895, Mr. Evans wedded Miss Mary C. Abney, daughter of Jessie M. and Sarah (Crosby) Abney, of Covington, La., and the three children of this union are: Stephen Glenn, Murcer Griffin and Mary Susan.



(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 145)

Barney E. Eaton, the subject of this sketch, was born at Taylorsville, Miss., December 5th, 1878. He is the son of James S. Eaton and Olivia Sharbrough Eaton. His grandfather, Capt. H. 0. Eaton was captain of a Calvalry (sic) Company in the Confederate Army. The improverishment (sic) of the Civil War followed by the more disastrous results of reconstruction fell heavily on his parents.

Barney E. Eaton attended the county schools of his time which were usually one room school houses with one teacher. In September 1896 he entered Millsaps College at Jackson and received an A. B. degree in June 1901. He took a LL. B. degree in June 1903. His Alma Mater conferred the honorary degree of LL.D. in June, 1922.

After his admission to the bar he resided in Hattiesburg, for something more than a year and then moved to Laurel. While in Laurel he served as District Attorney .for the 13th judicial district from May 1906 to September 1909.  When he resigned to accept the position of attorney for the Gulf & Ship Island Railroad Co., as assistant to Judge Jas. H. Neville, then its general counsel, he moved to Gulfport, October 1st, 1909, where he still resides.

He served as attorney of the Gulf & Ship Island from March 1911 to April 1912 and as general counsel from the later date until the latter part of 1924, when the Mississippi Power Co. was organized. Upon the organization of this company he was elected as its President, and is still serving in that capacity. He is also engaged in the practice of law in association with his sons, Barney E. Eaton, Jr., and James S. Eaton, under the firm of Eaton & Eaton.

On August 4th, 1905 he married Helen Gray Simpson, a native of Mississippi, and they have four children: Mrs. Robt. A. Murphy, Barney E. Eaton, Jr., James S. Eaton and William Douglas Eaton.



(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 146-147)

Mrs. Adair Humphries Ewin (1859-1930), botanist, minature (sic) painter, educator, for 20 years a teacher in the Gulfport High School, made an indelible impression on the Coast community through the students whom she taught and the civic work of which she was an integral part.

Founder of the Gulfport Garden Club and consecutively its president until her death, she was deeply interested in the garden clubs of other coast towns and served as an officer of the Garden Clubs of Mississippi.

Three major objectives for the Coast she hoped to see accomplished : first, the conservation of native wild flowers, shrubs, and trees; second, the beautification of the beach highway; and, third, the setting aside of a local Coast swamp or marsh as a park where the wide variety of swamp flowers and plants might flourish in their native habitat, and be easily accessible for study and enjoyment.

Mrs. Ewin was an authority on Coast flora. In pursuance of her botanical interest she studied for several seasons at Tulane University, where her work was outstanding.

As a member of the Gulfport High School she taught a number of subjects, including history, Spanish, physics and French, but her keenest interest was botany. Her profound knowledge of the subject and her unique practice of making the fields and the woods her laboratory made the course a favorite among students who sought her classes.

Mrs. Ewin was the daughter of the late John Adair Humphries, attorney of Handsboro, Mississippi, who died early in life, and Mrs. Lucy Minor Scales Humphries who survived her daughter by three years. Mrs. Ewin was born November 8, 1859, near Hudsonville, Marshall County, Mississippi.  She was reared in Memphis and Clarksville, Tennessee. She attended St. Mary's Episcopal School at Memphis and was a student at Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, where she specialized in pipe organ music, and at Cincinnati, Ohio, where she studied minature (sic) painting and pottery making and decoration. In 1887 she married John Overton Ewin (1861-1925) of Tennessee. They established their home in Florence, Alabama, and 23 years later moved to the Mississippi Coast. She has four children: Miss Lucy Herndon Ewin, Miss Adair Humphries Ewin of Gulfport, James Perkins Ewin, New Orleans and Gulfport, and Mrs Dorothy Ewin (Guy) Carpenter of New York, N. Y.



(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 147)

Born in Harrisburg, Pa., 1838, was reared and educated by an uncle, A. M. Holbrook, in New Orleans. In 1861 he joined the Washington Artillery and served throughout the war between the States.

In 1866 he married Miss Sallie Webb of Thomaston, Georgia, and divided- his time between New Orleans and DeLisle, Miss. His first wife died in 1871. Two sons were born to this marriage, Ritchie T., who died in 1915, and E. Morris who was born in 1871, graduated from the Louisville Medical College in 1897 and now practicing in Gulfport.

His second wife was Bland Thompson, to whom was born one daughter, M. Bland, (now Mrs. S. H. Dedeaux).  Ritchie T. married Lucia Shakleford of Rome, Georgia, who survives him. E. Morris marrried (sic) Jane Harrison of Florence, Rankin County, Miss., in 1898. Two sons were born to this union, John Morris of Gatun, Canal Zone, and Harris H. of Huston (sic), Texas.



(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 148)

Frank F. Farrell, son of Martin Farrell and Ellen Carmody, both of Ireland, was born in Pass Christian in 1881.  He is one of ten children, all residents of Pass Christian, where the family is largely connected, there being no less than 24 family connections, many of! direct descent, others by marriage.

Frank, as he is familiarly called, operates a family grocery store on the corner of Front and Market Streets in Pass Christian and owns all the property on that corner.

He is a quiet, uassuming (sic) man, is married, his wife being the former Miss Bernadine Graver of Rolling Green, Mo.- They have no children.



(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 148)

Was born in West Meade, Irleand (sic) in 1840 and came to America in 1856, finally settling in Pass Christian, 1865.

He married Miss Ellen Carmody of County Claire, Ireland, at Rutland, Vermont, in 1864.  From .this union there were 10 children and 33 grandchildren.

He continued his residence in Pass Christian where he was a solid, substantial citizen until his death, November 23rd, 1905. His wife died July 6th, 1923.

His children are all citizens of Pass Christian and are worthy, substantial people now being connected through marriage, with I think 24 of the various families of the city.


This page last updated on -- 25 Sep 2011


Copyright 2006 Genealogy Trails with all rights reserved for original submitters