CAPT. JOHN NELSON
(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 164)
Was born in Denmark in 1820. At the age of 13 years he shipped as cabin boy on a vessel plying the seas-out of Kahlenbur.
After reaching manhood he settled on the Mississippi Coast where he was engaged as steerman (sic) on steamers plying between New Orleans and the Coast.
He then became Master of the Schooner “Louisa” belonging to John Huddleston of what is now DeLisle. He finally became owner of the vessel and continued in the Coast-wise trade along the coast. In the 70’s he became a pilot at Ship Island Pass and was instrumental in organizing the Ship Island Pilot Association.
He married Jane Elizabeth Marmion in 1851. There were born to this union g children: Ada, married Sam B. Nunn; Nellie, married John H. Lang; Kate, became Sister Borgia; Metta, became Sister Ursula; John P. and Loretto Nelson, Robert, Paul, and Agnes, who married J. C. Liversedge.
At this date Agnes, and Sister Ursula are the only one still living.
He died 1896 at the age of 76 and is burried (sic) in St. Paul’s Cemetery, Pass Christian, Mississippi.
ABNER REUBIN KNIGHT NORTHROP
(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 165-166)
Abner Reubin Knight Northrop was born at Franklin, Louisiana, on July 27th, 1893. His father was Abner Northrop of Hartford) Connecticut, and a graduate of West Point Military Academy. His mother was Christina Knight, daughter of Reubin Knight, a Louisiana sugar planter.
The family moved to Baton Rouge in 1845. Abner K. Northrop went to school in Baton Rouge and his fater (sic) died in 1856 of yellow fever. His mother married again the following year and Abner K. Northrop then left home and went to Sherman, Texas, where he entered the office of a dentist. In 1861 he organized a Cavalry Company and was made Captain of the company, which served throughout the war, mainly west of the Mississippi.
In 1866 he came to the Gulf Coast and opened up a Dentist office at Biloxi, practicing in the different Coast communities. In 1869 he married Helena Elmer, a daughter of Jacob Elmer, of Biloxi. From this union there resulted eight children, six sons and two daughters. In 1872 the family moved to Pass Christian, where A. K. Northrop continued practicing dentistry.
He became interested in politics and was elected sheriff of the county and also served as county treasurer, and was postmaster at Pass Christian at the time of his death.
In 1875 he gave up the practice of dentistry and opened up a mercantile business at Pass Christian, an advancing business catering to the farmers and wool-growers of Harrison and adjoining counties, subsequently establishing a branch business at Purvis, Mississippi, and later another at Poplarville, Mississippi, under the name of Northrop & Hewes Bros., the firm being composed of A. K. Northrop, Newton H. Hewes and Fred Hewes.
The Poplarville business was closed out and the firm of Northrop and Hewes Bros., opened up a store at Tuscaloosa, Alabama, which was afterwards sold by A. K. Northrop to Newton H. and Fred Hewes, who continued the business.
A. K. Northrop died on March 6th7 1896, and the business was continued in Pass Christian until sold out in 1925 and moved to Gulfport. In the meantime, a branch had been established at Gulfport, in 1899.
GEO. W. ODOM
(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 166)
Born in Washington County, Alabama on March 2nd, 1871, moved to Gulfport from Waynesboro, Mississippi, in 1895, is one of Gulfport’s earliest citizens and had a part in all developments since the formation of the city, having served as City Commissioner for the past 21 years and was alderman for 6 years, before the change in the City’s form of Government. He is the present Street Commissioner and Superintendent of Water Works.
He married Miss Sara Ann Fulton by whom he had 5 children, Ruth, Irvin, Floyd, Alma and Dorothy.
JERRY J. O’KEEFE
(Extract from "History of Harrison County, Mississippi", written by John H. Lang, published by Dixie Press, 1935, page 167)
Jerry J. O’Keefe, son of Edward O’Keefe and Mary Rooney, born February 26th, 1860, at Ocean Springs, Mississippi; educated by the Christian Brothers at Bay’ St. Louis, Mississippi; married Alice Cahill, daughter of Thomas Cahill and Mary Brittin. Alice Cahill was born November 28th, 1864, at New Orleans, La. They were married April 3rd, 1888, in New Orleans. She was educated by the Vincentian Sisters. Five children were born: Edward J. O’Keefe, who died at 2 years of age; John A. O’Keefe, Mayor of the City of Biloxi; Mary C., O’Keefe, Superintendent of Public Schools, Ocean Springs, Mississippi; Ben O’Keefe, undertaker, of Biloxi, Mississippi; Joseph H. O’Keefe, sugar chemist, who died August 1st, 1932, by breaking his neck diving into shallow water at Matanzas, Cuba.
Jerry O’Keefe was in the livery and undertaking business dating back about 45 years. He died November 7th, 1911. The business was carried on by his wife, assisted by her sons. Alice O’Keefe died January 8th, 1921. On June 4th, 1923, the Undertaking business was moved from Ocean Springs to its present location at Biloxi.
Copyright 2006 Genealogy Trails with all rights reserved for original submitters