|Lisenby, John C|
|After many years of active, aggressive labor in the business world, John C. Lisenby is now living retired, having amassed a comfortable fortune as a stockman. He was born in Itawamba County, Mississippi, in 1884. He was reared on a plantation, and in 1862, from Jackson County, he enlisted for service in the Confederate army, joining Company A, Magee's Regiment, Dobbins' Brigade of the cavalry service. He was engaged continuously in that service in the Trans-Mississippi department in Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri and along the Missouri-Kansas border, until the close of the war. During his military services he was largely engaged in scouting and rough service characteristic of the warfare in those regions, fraught with the constant hardships, deprivations and dangers such as only a strong, healthy youth of rugged constitution could withstand.|
In 1868, while yet a young man and with hardly a penny of financial resources, but filled with the vigor and determination to succeed in a new country, he came to Texas and located in Grayson County. His first work there was with cattle, and he has been a stockman all his life, never branching off into any other line of business, and keeping his mind always on making a success in the cattle industry, he prosecuted the occupation during a long number of years and never failed to make money.
After living in Grayson County for eight years, Mr. Lisenby moved to Clay County, his headquarters for several years, but in the meantime he had gradually worked his cattle westward, and in about 1889 he moved his headquarters to the foot of the plains in Motley County, making his home at Matador. In 1906 he established his permanent home in Childress, and about that time he also retired from active participation in the cattle business, it being then largely taken over by his son, G. E. Lisenby is one of the strongest citizens financially in Childress. He has made all of his money in the cattle business, and it has been earned by close application to duty through a long number of years, and he is well entitled to the rest he is taking. He is a Royal Arch Mason.
Mrs. Lisenby was, before marriage, Miss S. N. Boston, born in Mississippi, and they have three children: G. Ed Lisenby, Mrs. Mollie Echolds and John C. Lisenby.
|[History of Central and Western Texas, Vol. 1, Illustrated, Lewis Publishing Company (1911) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]|
|Added 17 Jun 2014|
|Johnson, F J|
|F. J. Johnson.-During a number of years F. J. Johnson has been one of the leaders at the bar of Llano county and for ten years was its judge, and he is known as an eminent lawyer, an able judge and as a leader in political circles. Judge Johnson was born and reared at Fulton in Itawamba county, Mississippi, and his father, the Hon. David Johnson, was during a long number of years a prominent character in that portion of Mississippi. He served as captain in command of a company in the Confederate service during the Civil war, and was wounded at the battle of Jonesboro, and he was an able member of both the Mississippi legislature and the senate.|
F. J. Johnson studied law at Fulton and was admitted to the bar there in 1885. In 1891 he came to Llano, his home since that time, and where he has been engaged in the general practice of the law. His services as the judge of Llano county covered the ten years from 1894 until 1904, and he filled that high position with credit and distinction. Judge Johnson has taken an active citizen's interest in the civic affairs of Llano and the county, and is esteemed by all for his whole-souled good qualities. He married Miss Norah Belle Owen, on November 23, 1882, an only child of D. W. Owen, a noted lawyer and gifted orator of Mississippi who served in the Confederate army and was killed at Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in December, 1862. They have had six children, Marie M., Albert Sidney, Nora Belle and Fay, and two that died in early youth, Buck O. and Sale.
|A History of Central and Western Texas, Vol. 2, Compiled by Capt. B. B. Paddock, Published by The Lewis Publishing Company, 1911 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney|
|Added 19 May 2014|
|KEYES, Joseph W., banker; born in Fulton, Miss., April 11, 1857; son of Capt. William H. and Anna (Turner) Keyes; father was a merchant and served in Confederate army; direct descendant from early Virginia settlers; secured primary education in common schools, but left school at an early age to enter employ of general store in Fulton, Miss., where he kept books and rose to the position of head salesman; in 1878 he went to Louisville, Ky. as traveling salesman for wholesale hardware house of W.B. Belknap & Co., which occupation he followed for several years; he entered banking as vice-president of the Bank of Tupelo, Miss. in 1889, which position he held until 1896, when he moved to West Point, Miss. and organized the Bank of West Point and became president and manager; in 1902 sold his interest in Bank of West Point and moved to Memphis, Tenn. to accept presidency of the Hessig-Ellis Wholesale Drug Co. with a paid capital of $100,000; in 1904 was elected president of the Home Finance & Trust Co., with paid capital of $100,000; in 1905 merged the Home Finance & Trust Co. with the Tennessee Trust Co., making a paid up capital of $700,000, and became the active vice-president; in 1906 merged the Tennessee Trust Co. with the Union & Planters Bank & Trust Co., which gave a combined capital of $1,400,000 and was retained as active vice-president of the combined amalgamation; he is a stockholder and director in many banks in Mississippi and Tennessee and also stockholder in oil mills, cotton mills, wholesale groceries and queensware; married Miss Susie Clark February 19, 1889; has one child, a daughter (Miss Mollie); was elected Junior and Senior Grand Warden and Grand Treasurer of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Masons of Mississippi; also Junior and Senior Grand Warden and Grand Captain General of Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of Mississippi; elected First Lieutenant of Tupelo Rifles of Tupelo, Miss.; was also elected chairman Library Committee, Business Men's Club of Memphis, Tenn.; is a member of a Baptist church.|
|[Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]|
|Added 7 Apr 2014|
Stewart, George W
Stewart, George W. - M. D. While the professional position and attainments of Doctor Stewart are such as to command respect throughout Kiowa County, where he has lived since the opening of the reservation to settlement, and over the state at large, it is a matter of knowledge to comparatively few how vigorously he contended with difficulties and embarrassments in his early youth to gain what his ambition craved. Doctor Stewart is a Southerner by birth and training, and his early youth was spent in the section of the South ravaged by the Civil war. It was only after reaching his majority that he was able to take up his long deferred plans for gaining an education, and was a farmer, a merchant and teacher before beginning the practice of medicine. His great-grandfather Charles Stewart emigrated from Scotland to Virginia in the closing years of the eighteenth century. From Virginia he moved into Georgia, and thence into Alabama, followed his vocation as a farmer in those various localities, and died in Pickens County, Alabama, but near the city of Columbus, Mississippi. Doctor Stewart's grandfather was John Stewart, who was born in Georgia in 1795, and died in Milam County, Texas, in 1860. He was likewise a farmer, lived in the States of Alabama and Mississippi, and a short time before the war moved to Texas, where he died.
Doctor Stewart was born in Itawamba County, Mississippi, September 10, 1856. His father was Wiley S. Stewart, who was born in Pickens County, Alabama, in 1831, and died at Fulton, Mississippi, in 1872. He was a farmer and stock raiser all his active career, and from Pickens County removed to Itawamba County, Mississippi, and was living there when the war came on. He saw four years of service in the Thirty-second Mississippi Regiment of Infantry, was shot through the arm in the Battle of Chickamauga, and returned home from the war a physical wreck, and never fully regained his health. He married Mary A. Cobb, who was born in North Carolina in 1833 and is now living at the venerable age of eighty-two with her son Doctor Stewart at Hobart. There were eight children in the family, a brief record of them being as follows: John A., a farmer at Hobart, Oklahoma; Dr. George W.; Wiley M., a farmer near Hobart; Sidney Jackson, a farmer at Denton, Texas; Mary, who is now living at Gorman, Texas, the widow of T. L. Gates, who was a merchant in Gorman, Texas, and died there; W. P., who is with the Warden Printing Company at Oklahoma City; R. L., a farmer at Sentinel, Oklahoma; and L. F., who is an educator and is vice president of the Panhandle Agricultural School at Goodwell, Oklahoma.
As one of the older members of this family and with his youth passed in the time and under the conditions briefly suggested above, Doctor Stewart had a youth of many cares and responsibilities besides those immediately concerned with his individual advancement. His common school education was derived from the schools of Itawamba County, Mississippi, and in 1878, at the age of twenty-two, he graduated from Fulton Academy in that county. For a few years he combined merchandising with farming and was a teacher for six years. In 1888, with such savings as he had managed to accumulate in addition to supporting his own home and family, he entered the Memphis Hospital Medical College at Memphis, Tennessee, and was graduated M. D. in 1890. Doctor Stewart is still a close student of his profession, and in 1908 took a post-graduate course in the Chicago Post Graduate School.
His practice began at Fulton, Mississippi, in 1890, and in 1893 he removed to Cause in Milam County, Texas, practiced there until 1896, and practiced in Hill County, Texas, until 1901. In that year he came to Hobart as one of the pioneer physicians to locate in Kiowa County, and has since enjoyed a large general medical and surgical practice. Since Oklahoma entered statehood he has been county superintendent of health of Kiowa County, and is also prominent in medical organizations, having served two years as president of the Kiowa County Medical Society and is now its vice president, and is a member of the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. His offices are in the Jones Building on Fourth Street.
Doctor Stewart is a democrat and served three terms on the Hobart City Council. He is a member and president of the board of trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is a charter member of Hobart Lodge No. 198, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, being a past master by service; and is a charter member of Hobart Chapter No. 37, Royal Arch Masons, and is also affiliated with Hobart Camp No. 84, Woodmen of the World.
Doctor Stewart in 1883, when a young man still struggling to fit himself for his chosen work back in Mississippi, was married at Fulton to Miss Margaret E. Nabors. She died in Fort Worth, Texas, in 1907. Oscar Stewart, the oldest child of this marriage, is now one of the prominent men of Oklahoma, and is superintendent of the State Institute for the Blind at Muskogee. He is a graduate of the School for the Blind at Austin, Texas, afterwards attended Vanderbilt University at Nashville, Tennessee, is an ordained minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and in 1914 was urged to take the nomination for Congress from his district, but refused that honor, though his abilities insure him many substantial distinctions in public affairs. He is an active democrat. Oscar Stewart married Miss Jane Robertson of Virginia, and their two children are Wilhelm, born August 12, 1907; and Virginia Elizabeth, born in October, 1908, these being the only grandchildren of Doctor Stewart. Otho, the second child of Doctor Stewart, is a graduate of the Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas, and is now pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at Coweta, Oklahoma; Oland, the youngest child, is now a student in the University of Oklahoma at Norman. Doctor Stewart was married at Hobart in 1908 to his present wife, Miss Ida Wilkie, who is of German descent and came to Oklahoma from Wisconsin.
Added 08 Apr 2013
[Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma V 4 by Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - 1916 - Submitted by Veneta McKinney]
This is a short Bio on the Life of David Johnson & Family.
1828 - David Johnson born to John (or James) & Susannah Miers Johnson in Alabama
1850 Census - David working as a Laborer for _______ Family Itawamba County
1856 - David marries Nancy Caroline Hopkins Jan 31,1856 in Itawamba County
1858- Son Flavius J. Johnson is born in Fulton, Ms
1860 Census - David is schoolteacher for the Itawamba County Schools
1861 - Elected Justice of the Peace by Gov. Stone (2nd District)
1861-1864 - 3rd Lieutenant 2nd Mississippi Calvary Co. H (wounded at battle of Jonesboro)
1863- Daughter Emma Johnson was born in Fulton, Ms
1865 - Son William Edward Johnson was born in Fulton, Ms
1866 - Served as Probate Clerk for Itawamba County
1868 - Son Andrew Johnson was born in Fulton, Ms
1871 - Daughter Carrie Converse Johnson was born in Fulton, Ms
1874 - Twins Claude & Maude Johnson were 1st set of twins born in Fulton, Ms
1876 - Son Samuel D. Johnson was born in Fulton, Ms (also known as Dick)
1877-1878- Served in Mississippi House of Representatives
1880 -1882 - Served as Mississippi State Senator (Itawamba & Lee Counties)
1886 -1887 - Served as Superintendent of Mississippi Penitentiary
1900 - May 26, 1900 David Johnson passed away in Fulton, Ms
1901-1919 - Nancy traveled and stayed with different children.
1919- Sept 19, 1919 Nancy Caroline Hopkins Johnson passed away at the home of her son William Edward Johnson in Texas. Her son Andrew accompanied her body back to Fulton Mississippi to be buried next to David. Gravesite not known for either David or Nancy Johnson
David, by all appearances was a very hardworking man. From the research made so far we are almost positive that he lost his father at a very young age. Approximately 12 yrs old. His mother Susan Johnson (daughter of Nathan Miers & Nancy Jennings) raised David & his sibling by herself, with the help of her family. Susan was apparently very close to her family and moved with them from Alabama to Carroll County MS around 1840-1845. We think that her husband died shortly after her youngest daughter Emmeline was born, which was in 1840. We can see she is widowed in the 1850 census which lists her children at home as Andrew Jackson, Matilda, Selena, & Emmiline. We assume she died between 1850-1860 due to the fact that we can't seem to find her after 1850. We know that all of the children with the exception of Emmiline got married in Itawamba County, MS between 1850-1860. We know for a fact that David was one of her children and we think that there was an older son by the name of John Johnson, who in 1850 was living next to Susan with his wife Pricilla Jennings Johnson and their 2 yrs old son John. David's sister Selena also lived with David & Caroline in 1860 to help with the children.
[Source: Written by submitter - Submitted by Rachael Merritt]
This page last updated on -- 17 Jun 2014