Jasper County, MS
Extinct Towns and Villages
Submitted by Debora Reese
Extract taken from Publication
of the Mississippi Historical Society, By the Mississippi Historical
Society, Edited by Franklin L. Riley, Secretary, Volume V, Oxford, Mississippi, 1902, pgs 344, from chapter entitled
“Extinct Towns and Villages of Mississippi” by Franklin L. Riley
Garlandville – Garlandville was probably the oldest town in Jasper county, Franklin, one county seat, was
not a town, the courts having been held probably in a private house. Garlandville was settled early in 1833,
and was the place from which the first Choctaw Indians emigrated. In the early 30’s Mr. John H. Ward opened
a tavern in a small house owned by John Garland, a half-breed Indian, who gave it to the landlord’s wife.
She in return named the town in honor of him.
soon after the removal of the Choctaw’s the town and county were settled very rapidly. It was a beautiful
level situation, covered by a grove of oaks and hickories, a healthful and desirable place. The town wass
soon surrounded by a wealthy class of planters, who made it an important business point. Among the early
settlers were the families of Watts, Brown, Hodge, Williams, Dellahay, Beard, Cowan, Layerly, Hamlet, and Harris.
town reached its greatest prosperity about the year 1860. At the outbreak of the War between the States two
companies were raised at this place. They were Capt. Chatfield’s of the 20th Mississippi
and Capt. Lopo’s of the 37th Mississippi. The war having ended disastrously to the
large slave owners, the merchants moved to the railroad, and the splendid town, once so flourishing, now reminds
one of Goldsmith’s “Deserted Village”. A small business is still done at this place, and some of the good
people of long ago remain here, but the great prosperity it once enjoyed passed away because of the disastrous
results of the war.