Ghost town


Rodney
Mississippi

Jefferson County



A popular settlement as early as 1765, then known as Petit Gulf. Named in 1828. In the 1840's it was one of the leading river ports and commerical centers between St.Louis and New Orleans. Visited by notables such as Jefferson Davis, Andrew Jackson and Zachary taylor. Nearby Aaron Burr surrendered in 1806. Started to decline when the Mississippi River changed its course in the 1870s.

Contributed by Candi Horton

Old Presby Church

Old Presbyterian Church
Rodney Mississippi
Built in 1829

Is rich in historical interest such as its bell cast of silver dollars, its old organ, the slave balcony and wrought iron fence. Several holes in the walls were made by cannonn balls fired by Union river boats. Currently being restored.

Contributed by Candi Horton

HOME

©Genealogy Trails