Extinct Towns & Villages of Lauderdale County, Mississippi
Extract taken from Publication
of the Mississippi Historical Society, By the Mississippi Historical Society, Edited by Franklin L. Riley,
Secretary, Volume V, Oxford, Mississippi, 1902, pgs 350 - 351 , from chapter entitled “Extinct Towns and Villages
of Mississippi” by Franklin L. Riley
Submitted by Debora Reese
Marion – Marion was the county seat of Lauderdale from its organization until the close of the War between the States. It was, of course, an inland town, though perhaps for years the largest in the eastern part of the State, south of Macon. All that now marks the site is the debris of a fallen chimney, six miles northwest of Meridian. The Mobile and Ohio railroad left it to the east two miles, a station being established opposite called by its name. Soon after the surrender, by a vote of the people, the court house was moved to Marion Station. Later the Legislature made Meridian the county seat. In 1848 Marion was a town of considerable importance; Lauderdale Springs was then a poplar watering place and brought it some trade. Gen. W. S. Patton kept the hotel in 1860. None of the old citizens are living now. Any incidents reported since the war relate to Marion Station, which became simply Marion after the abandonment of Old Marion.
Alamutcha – The old town of Alamutcha (Old Town), has existed only in name for many years. It was originally, it appears, an Indian Village. Half a century ago, it was but a landmark, and since the building of the railroads, has almost passed out of memory. Kewanee is the nearest point to the old location.
Daleville – The old town of Daleville still exist as Lizelia, with two stores at its old location about ten miles northwest of Meridian. Only an old church house was there not many years back nd the Cole residence. A few miles further on is Cooper Institute, now known as Daleville, and quite a good settlement has grown up in the immediate vicinity.
Sayerville – The old village of Sayerville was not much more than a port office. E. J. Rew, Esq., was the principal citizen, Abram Burwell being a near neigh. Okatibbee Station, on the mobile and Ohio railroad is in close proximity to the place
Chunkyville – The old village of Chunkyville was absorbed by Chunky Station on the Vicksburg and Meridian railroad. A few shanties marked the old site several years ago.
 The information upon which the sketch of the towns of Lauderdale county is based was derived from Mr. L. A. Duncan, of Meridian, Miss.