line
Marshall County Church Histories
line

Organization Of Philadelphia Presbyterian Church Marshall County, Mississippi
The Red Banks Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844 under the name of Philadelphia Church, by the Presbytery of Chickasaw, Synod of Mississippi. It was the 15th church to be organized in the North Mississippi Presbytery. In the first statistical report, that of 1857, the members numbered 44. No mention of the minister who organized the church could be found, and neither was there a list of the charter members kept. All were destroyed when the first book of minutes of the Session was burned. The name, Philadelphia, was given this church because some of the earliest communicants had earlier been members of Old Philadelphia Church, built on Clear Creek in North Carolina, by their ancestors who migrated there from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Members of this congregation had fond memories of their "old meeting house" (Philadelphia) in Cabarrus County, North Carolina, so it was natural that they should call their new church by that name.


RULING ELDERS AND DEACONS
A.M. Flinn                 1863
F.G. Newell                1867
Dr. R.W. Martin            1868
A.O. Canon                 1875
John Seabrook                  
S.T. Power                     
F.W. Canon                     
J.W. McRae                     
W.H. Newell                    
M.L. Mebane                1905
Joe Mahon                  1929
Geo.S.Goodman              1939
R.G. Houston               1939
Lilburn Armour             1953
L. Houston Armour          1953
Zell G. Simmons            1953
Hal R. Moore               1953

DEACONS

H.H. Pipkin
W.S. Hatcher
W.H. Newell
Geo. S. Goodman
S.T. Power
E.D. Power
W.H. Canon
Russell G. Houston
J.O. Dockery
Sam P. Goodman

[Submitted by: Joe Perry]




This page last updated on -- 8 Nov 2009

HOME

©Genealogy Trails