Communities
Pearl River County, Mississippi

[Source: Mississippi - Volume II & III, published by the Atlanta Southern Historical Publishing Association 1907]

Bilbo
A post office in Pearl River County, 13 miles northwest of Poplarville, the county seat.

Caesar

Carriere

Chinquapin
A post-hamlet of Pearl River County, on Chinquapin Creek, a tributary of the Pearl River, 15 miles west of Poplarville, the capital of the county. Population in 1900, 24.

Crossroads

Derby
A post office of Pearl River County, on the New Orleans & North Eastern R.R., 6 miles southwest of Poplarville, the county seat and nearest banking town. There is a saw milling plant located here. The population in 1906 was estimated at 100.

Glade
A post office of Pearl River County, on the New Orleans & North Eastern R.R., 4 miles southwest of Poplarville, the county seat. There is a saw milling plant located here and the population in 1906 was estimated at 50.

Henleyfield

Hillsdale
A post-hamlet of Pearl River County, on the New Orleans & North Eastern R.R., 7 miles northeast of Poplarville, the county seat, and 6 miles from Lumberton. It has a money order post office. Population in 1900, 30; the population in 1906 was estimated at 200. Two turpentine stills are located here.

Kirk
A post office in Pearl River County, 8 miles southwest of Poplarville, the county seat.

Ladner
A post-hamlet in the southeastern part of Pearl River County, situated on the Wolf River, about 15 miles distant from Poplarville, the county seat. Population in 1900, 50.

McCoy
A hamlet of Pearl River County. The post office has been discontinued at this place, and mail now goes to Poplarville.

McNeil
A post-hamlet in the southern part of Pearl River County, 12 miles south of Poplarville, the county seat and nearest banking town. It is a station on the New Orleans & North Eastern R.R., and has a money order post office and an express office. A branch of the A. & M. College Experiment Station is located here. The population in 1906 was estimated at 250.

Millard
A post office of Pearl River County, on the New Orleans & North Eastern R.R., 8 miles southeast of Poplarville, the county seat. Lumbering and turpentine plants are located here. It has a population of about 200.

Nicholson

Orvisburg

Ozona

Picayune

Poplarville
The county seat of Pearl River County, located on the New Orleans and North Eastern R.R., 71 miles northeast of New Orleans, was named for Poplar Creek which heads at or near the center of the town. It has a telegraph office, an express office, a newspaper office and 2 banks. The Free Press, a Democratic weekly was established in 1890, and is edited and published in 1899 with a capital of $11,600; The Citizens Bank was established in 1905 with a paid up capital of $35,200. The town lies in a poultry, truck and fruit farming, grazing and lumbering district. Among its industries are a cotton gin, grist mill, 2 saw-mills, a sugar mill, a canning factory, a coal plant, 2 turpentine stills and a lumber yard. It has two public markets, several stores and 2 livery stables. It has increased very rapidly in population within recent years. Its population in 1900 was 990, in 1890, 232, and in 1906 the population was estimated at 1,500. There are 5 churches located here, 3 white churches and 2 colored. Its high school is one of the best in the State. Poplarville is the seat of Poplarville College. There are located here lodges of Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Woodmen of the World, and the Knights and Ladies of Honor. The town is supplied with an electric lighting system.

Wheat
A post office of Pearl River County, situated on the Pearl River, 13 miles west of Poplarville, the county seat, and nearest railroad and banking town.



Return to the Pearl River County page

Return to the Mississippi state page


Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.