Welcome to  Genealogy Trails

line

Perry County Biographies
line



Foote, George M.
Foote, George M., of Hattiesburg, Perry county, is one of the most progressive and capable of the younger generation of business men who are lending their energies to the forwarding of the industrial and commercial advancement of Mississippi. He is president of the George M. Foote Company, conducting a large wholesale grocery business, with headquarters in Hattiesburg, and has other capitalistic interests of importance, while he is at the present time representing the Fourth ward on the board of aldermen of his residence city. Mr. Foote was born in Macon, Noxubee county, Miss., May 13, 1873, and that county was also the birthplace of his parents, Henry D. and Susan (Walker) Foote, who now maintain their home in Columbus, Miss. The father was a valiant soldier of the Confederacy, in which he served with the Mississippi troops, participating in many of the leading battles of the great conflict and laying down his arms only when the cause of the Confederacy was lost. George M. Foote secured his educational training in the public schools, having completed a course in the excellently conducted high school at Columbus, Lowndes county. In politics a stalwart advocate of the principles of the Democratic party, he early secured official preferment, having served for eight years as deputy chancery clerk of Lowndes county, while, as before stated, he is now a member of the board of aldermen of Hattiesburg, to which office he was elected in 1904. In 1899 Mr. Foote engaged in the merchandise brokerage business at Columbus, this State, and in October, 1901, located in Hattiesburg and engaged in the same line of enterprise by founding the firm of George M. Foote & Company, wholesale dealers in groceries and provisions. The enterprise so rapidly expanded in scope and importance that it was soon found expedient to augment its capitalistic and other facilities. Accordingly, in 1903, the business was incorporated under the present title of the George M. Foote Company, with a capital stock of $20,000 and with the following official corps: George M. Foote, president; William H. Wainwright, vice-president; and Hugo L. Foote, secretary and treasurer, the last named being a cousin of the president of the company. The business of the concern extends throughout the entire southern part of the State, and an efficient corps of traveling salesmen is retained in representing the house to the trade. The aggregate annual business already approximates a half-million dollars, and the same is showing a constantly increasing tendency. The establishment of the company is well equipped in every particular and the unexcelled service has had much to do in the building up of so large a trade within a comparatively brief interval of time. The interested principals are men of reliability, honor and marked business acumen, so that their success lies firmly based on merited confidence and esteem. In March, 1904, Mr. Foote organized the Hattiesburg Eight Wheel Wagon Company, which effected the purchase of the Strickland patents and which was incorporated with a capital stock of $30,000. These wagons are used principally in connection with lumbering and logging operations and their superiority for the purpose is unmistakable, the ease of loading, elimination of friction and the large amount of material handled effectively and quickly, constituting the points of superiority which have gained to the wagons most appreciative reception wherever they have been introduced. The trade of the company extends throughout the lumbering districts of the United States and Central and South America, while Walter A. Zelincer & Company, of St. Louis, Mo., are sales agents for the company. Mr. Foote is also president of the firm of Foote & Patrick, of Laurel; Foote & Mohler, of Gulfport; and Foote & Drummon, of Columbia, all of which are engaged in the wholesale grocery business in Mississippi. In a fraternal way Mr. Foote is an appreciative and popular member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. On Nov. 17, 1897, he was united in marriage to Miss Bessie Campbell, daughter of Charles H. and Fannie (Morton) Campbell, of Winona, Miss. They have no children.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 31 May 2018
 

Carter, John Prentiss
Carter, John Prentiss. Few citizens of the State of Mississippi have served longer or more ably in positions of high public trust and responsibility than has the present lieutenant-governor, John Prentiss Carter, who is distinguished not less as an official and public-spirited citizen than as a man of affairs. He maintains his home in Hattiesburg, Perry county, where he has varied and important interests. Governor Carter was born near Augusta, Perry county, Miss., Feb. 7. 1840, and is a son of Abner and Isabella (McLeod) Carter, the former of whom was born in Georgia, in 1804, while the latter was born in North Carolina, Jan. 13, 1813. The ancestry on both sides is of stanch Scottish origin, and the original American progenitors settled in North Carolina in the colonial era. Isaac Carter, paternal grandfather of the governor, removed into Virginia and thence to Georgia, while in 1808 he came to what was then the territory of Mississippi, settling on Leaf river, near the present town of Augusta, Perry county. John McLeod, the maternal grandfather, came from North Carolina to the territory of Mississippi in the same year, 1808, and took up his residence near Bucatunna, on the Chickasawhay river, in Jackson county [actually Wayne County], and he represented that county in the convention, in 1817, that formulated the first constitution of the State. Abner Carter was a man of much prominence and influence in Perry county, which he served as judge of the probate court and which he also represented in the State legislature, while he was also a colonel of the State militia. Both he and his wife died in Perry county. The future lieutenant-governor attended the Salem high school, in Greene county, from 1849 to 1857, under the able tutorship of David Moore, and in October of the last mentioned year he was enrolled as a sophomore in Centenary college, at Jackson, La., in which he was graduated, with second honors, as a member of the class of 1860, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Loyalty to the cause of the Confederacy soon called the young collegiate into the ranks of volunteer soldiers. In September, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company G, Twenty-seventh Mississippi infantry, in which he was soon promoted to sergeant major. In 1862 he became second lieutenant of his company, and in the following year first lieutenant. He took part in the battles of Murfreesboro, Chickamauga and Lookout Mountain, and in the last mentioned engagement he was wounded and captured, being taken to Johnson's Island, in Lake Erie, off the Ohio coast, where he was held in captivity until the close of the great internecine conflict, when he was there paroled as a prisoner of war. After the close of the war he returned to his native State, ravished and despoiled through the fortunes of warfare, and here he took up the study of law, being licensed to practice in 1867. He attained high prestige in the active work of his profession, continuing in practice at Hattiesburg until 1896, in which year he was elected president of the National Bank of Commerce in that city, a position which he has since retained, giving much of his time and attention to the executive supervision of the affairs of this solid and prosperous institution. In 1865 Governor Carter was elected delegate from Perry county to the State constitutional convention which met in Jackson, in August of that year. In the same year he was chosen to represent his county in the lower house of the State legislature, being elected his own successor in 1867. In 1873 he was elected to the State senate, as representative of the first senatorial district, being made his own successor in 1877, and refusing to again become a candidate at the expiration of his second term, in 1881. In 1887 he was elected a member of the lower house of the legislature, and in 1890 was a delegate to the convention which formed the present constitution of the State. On Nov. 3, 1903, he was elected lieutenant-governor of the State, and in this office his services have been given with the same high ability, discrimination and fidelity which have marked his entire official life. Governor Carter is one of the leaders in the Democratic party in the State, and his influence has ever been exerted in a helpful and judicious way in its councils. He and his wife are prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and he is president of the board of stewards and also of the board of trustees of the church in Hattiesburg. He is also president of the Hattiesburg board of trade and takes a lively interest in all that touches the welfare of his home city. He is identified, in a most appreciative way, with the United Confederate Veterans, and for several years was captain commander of Hattiesburg Camp, No. 21, while in June, 1904, he was honored by his old comrades in arms by being elected brigade commander of the Second brigade, Mississippi division, United Confederate Veterans. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and has served as eminent commander of Hattiesburg Commandery, No. 21, Knights Templar, while he is also identified with the adjunct organization, the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and with the fraternity known as the Mystic Seven. On Dec. 24, 1868, was solemnized the marriage of Governor Carter to Miss Margaret C. McCallum, daughter of John and Annie (Hartfield) McCallum, of Perry county, where she was born and reared. The ancestors of Mrs. Carter were of Scottish extraction, and the family was founded in the territory of Mississippi in 1808. Governor and Mrs. Carter have six children, namely: John McCallum, Prentiss Abner, George Henry, Annie Isabella, Charles Galloway and Martha Ruth.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 10 May 2018
 

Anderson, Elisha Alexander
ELISHA ALEXANDER ANDERSON of Hattiesburg, Representative from Forrest County, was born in the County of Perry, Mississippi. October 14, 1868. His father, Daniel Austin Anderson, who served during the Civil War as a Confederate soldier in Steed's Battalion, was also a native of that County. He was the son of John Anderson, who formerly lived in Northwestern Georgia. The family came originally from England. The great-grand father of Elisha Alexander Anderson. Daniel Austin Anderson, of Perry County, was a Major under General Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812. Ms. Anderson's mother, Henrietta Rebecca (Stafford) Anderson, was the daughter of Edward Barry Stafford and his wife, Susan (Sanford) Stafford. Her father was also a soldier in the War of 1812; and it is a remarkable coincidence that in the Battle of New Orleans both the paternal and maternal grandfathers of Elisha Alexander Anderson took part. His grandfather Stafford came to the southern part of Mississippi to live about the year 1816. When a boy, Mr. Anderson attended the public schools of Perry County. With the intention of fitting himself for the legal profession, he entered the law office of H. B Leverett, Esq., of Hattiesburg, as clerk. He then took a course in the Law Department of Millsaps College, which he completed In 1892. with the degree of LL.B. After graduation he began the practice of his profession at Hattiesburg, and has continued there ever since. He is one of the leading lawyers in that section. Mr. Anderson has had some military experience, having been a private in Company C of the 2nd Regiment of the National Guard, in which he enlisted at the time of the Spanish-American War. He was elected to the Legislature in 1912, served from 1912 to 1916, and was re-elected in 1915. As a representative he has always favored progressive legislation. He is the author of the following important labor legislation passed at the session of 1912-14 : The ten-hour law for men and women workers, the twice-a-month pay day law, our child labor law, and the law prohibiting the discount of pay checks for labor. He is a staunch friend of the working classes, and is equipped for any public service to which he may be called by the people of his State. He has served on the following committees; Judiciary; Claims; Penitentiary; Fees and Salaries; Municipalities. Mr. Anderson is a Democrat, a Baptist, and a member of the Masons and Woodmen of the World. Mrs. Anderson was, before her marriage, Miss Julia Smith. She is the daughter of George and Katherine (Bell) Smith, of Pearl River County. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have four children: George Dunon, Cephas, Pallmary, and Houston.
Source: Official & statistical register of the state of Miss., (1917) by Dunbar Rowland - Transcribed by Gene P.
Added 27 Apr 2018
 

Cook, Isham Henry Clayton
Cook, Isham Henry Clayton, M. D., of Hattiesburg, is numbered among the leading members of the medical profession in Perry county and is properly accorded recognition in this compilation. He was born in Paulding, Jasper county, Miss., July 31, 1853, and is a son of Joseph and Mary Ann B. (Clayton) Cook, the former of whom was born in Edgefield district, S. C, in 1818, while the latter was born and reared in Mississippi, being a member of one of its sterling pioneer families. Frederick Cook, grandfather of the doctor, came to America as a member of the Hessian troops which were brought to America by the British to assist in the War of the Revolution, and he was captured at the battle of Ticonderoga. He received a land grant from King George III, and after the war he settled in South Carolina, where he passed the remainder of his life, attaining the venerable age of ninety-six years. Joseph Cook became a member of a regiment of Mississippi cavalry at the time of the Civil war and was a loyal upholder of the cause of the Confederacy during the long and sanguinary struggle which brought defeat to the southern armies. He enlisted as a private and rose to the rank of colonel, while his service was principally in the line of skirmishing in Mississippi and Louisiana, and in the arresting of renegades and deserters. He passed the closing years of his life at the old homestead, where the mother is now living, honored by all who knew them. Dr. Cook secured his rudimentary educational training in a private school and thereafter was a student for one year in the University of Mississippi, while in 1875 he was graduated in the Louisville medical college, from which excellent institution he received his degree of Doctor of Medicine. He has ever continued a close and appreciative student of his profession, and in 1893 he took a most effective post-graduate course in the New York Polyclinic. He initiated the practice of his profession in Jasper county, where he remained until 1882, when he removed to Perry county, locating first in Augusta, where he remained in practice until his removal to Hattiesburg, in 1897. He has here built up a large and profitable professional business and is a physician and surgeon of advanced knowledge and marked skill, while as a citizen he commands unqualified confidence and esteem. In addition to being enrolled as a member of the State medical society and that of Perry county, he is also a member of the American medical association, taking a deep interest in the work of all. He served four years as health officer of Perry county, having been elected on the ticket of his party, the Democratic, of whose principles and policies he is a firm supporter and advocate. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Woodmen of the World. On Dec. 20, 1877, was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Cook to Miss Sarah A. Stevens, daughter of Capt. Benjamin and Annetta (Brealand) Stevens, of Augusta, Miss. The children of this union are ten in number, namely: Joseph Benjamin, William Felder, Evlyn Stevens, Mary Clayton, Emily Annette, Susan Elizabeth, Isham Inman, Cora Lillian, Elise and Henry Grady.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 14 Apr 2018
 

Conner, Edgar Earl
Conner, Edgar Earl, is one of the representative young business men of Hattiesburg, Perry county, where he is vice-president and general manager of the Conner Shoe Company, of which his father is president. He is a native of Mississippi, having been born in Perkinsville, Winston county, Feb. 26, 1883, and being a son of Walter M. Conner, of whom individual mention is made in a following paragraph. Mr. Conner was afforded the advantages of the graded schools of Hattiesburg, Perry county, and then entered the University of Mississippi, in which he was a member of the class of 1904. He became associated with his father in the purchase of the finely equipped shoe store of T. S. Jackson, in Hattiesburg, the enterprise having previously been conducted under the title of the Jackson Shoe Company. A short time after the business was transferred to the present owners, the title of the Conner Shoe Company was adopted, Walter M. Conner becoming president and Edgar E. Conner vice-president and general manager. The establishment is recognized as the most metropolitan of the sort in Hattiesburg. being modern in all details of appointment and showing at all times the most select and complete lines of shoes. The vice-president of the company has charge of the store and business and is one of the alert and progressive young men of the city, where he is distinctively popular in both business and social circles. He is one of the active and enthusiastic members of the Merchants' Business League of Hattiesburg, his religious faith is that of the Baptist church, and fraternally he is identified with Hattiesburg Lodge, No. 397, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and Kappa Alpha college fraternity. His political support is given to the Democratic party. On Sept. 27, 1904, Mr. Conner was united in marriage to Miss Augusta Montgomery, daughter of Col. John B. and Sarah Jane (Bailey) Montgomery, of Louisville, Ky., and they are prominent and popular in connection with the social activities of their home city. Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Conner have a son, born July 21, 1906, Dudley Winston Conner.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 14 Apr 2018
 

Conner, Walter Morland
Conner, Walter Morland, president of the Conner Shoe Company, of Hattiesburg, of the Columbia Compress Company, at Columbia, Miss., and interested in other enterprises of distinctive importance, has accomplished much in connection with the development of the industrial and commercial interests of southern Mississippi and is specially entitled to representation in this work. He now maintains his home in Hattiesburg, Perry county. Mr. Conner was born near Kosciusko, Attala county, Miss., Oct. 9, 1855, and is a son of John Lewis Conner, who was born in Pickens county, Ala., Dec. 28, 1825, and of Dolice Minerva (Murff) Conner, who was born in Winston county, Miss., Oct. 10, 1833, being a daughter of Col. Samuel D. and Sarah (George) Murff. John L. Conner and Police M. Murff were married Oct. 23, 1851, at Kosciusko, Miss., and they became the parents of twelve children. Mr. Conner served throughout the Civil war as a valiant soldier of the Confederacy. In 1861 he enlisted as a member of Company D, Thirty-fifth Mississippi infantry, being made third lieutenant at time of enlistment and immediately afterward being promoted first lieutenant. He was soon promoted captain of his company and was tendered the colonelcy of his regiment but refused the commission, by reason of his affection for and deep interest in the members of his own company. He participated in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tenn.; Corinth and Vicksburg, Miss.; Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, Bull Run, Manassas, Gettysburg and many other battles and skirmishes, having continued in active service until the close of the war and having made a particularly gallant record. He was a planter by vocation and was twice elected sheriff of Winston county. He was a member of Lodge No. 75, Free and Accepted Masons, at Louisville, Miss., at the time of his death, Feb. 2, 1876, and was interred with Masonic honors in the old family cemetery in Winston county. The subject of this review was educated in the schools of Mississippi and his earlier business career was identified with agricultural pursuits and later engaging in the general merchandise business. He is president of the Columbia Compress Company, at Columbia, Miss.; has been a director in the National Bank of Commerce at Hattiesburg, Miss., from the time of its organization to the present and has for years held the office of auditor for this substantial institution; he is a member of the firm of O. W. Conner & Company and of the Conner Brothers Lumber Company, of Seminary, Miss.; is president of the Conner Shoe Company, at Hattiesburg, and in this thriving city he has also been continuously engaged in the general merchandise business for nearly a quarter of a century, having located there in 1884. He is essentially enterprising and public-spirited and has ever done his part in furthering those undertakings and supporting those measures which make for the material and civic advancement of the community at large. In politics he is one of the ardent supporters of the Democratic party and its principles and while he has never been ambitious for public office he served two terms as mayor of Hattiesburg. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church, and he has served eighteen years as superintendent of the Sunday school of the First Baptist church of Hattiesburg. Mr. Conner is one of the prominent and appreciative members of the Masonic fraternity in Mississippi, taking a deep interest in this time-honored order. He is affiliated with Hattiesburg Lodge, No. 397, Free and Accepted Masons; Hattiesburg Chapter, No. 114, Royal Arch Masons; Liberty Council, No. 7, Royal and Select Masters; Hattiesburg Commandery, No. 21, Knights Templars and Harnassa Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at Meridian, Miss. He is master of his lodge at the present time, high priest of his chapter, thrice illustrious master of his council, and past deputy grand master of the Masonic grand lodge of Mississippi. He has served fourteen years as worshipful master of his lodge and he has been prominent in the fraternity for eighteen years, always attending the sessions of the grand lodge of the State and showing an abiding interest in all that concerns the fraternity. On June 7, 1882, Mr. Conner was united in marriage to Miss Deania L. Sennette, who was born at Brownsburg, Ind., fourteen miles west of the city of Indianapolis, being a daughter of Martin P. and Frances (Downing) Sennette, who removed to Indiana from Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Conner became the parents of seven children, namely: Edgar Earl, Clyde Raymond, Walter Marcus, Robert Cassidy, Leonidas Hall, Frankie Dean, and Leah Beth. Of the children three are deceased — Walter M., Robert C. and Frankie D.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 14 Apr 2018
 

Carter, Thomas C.
Carter, Thomas C., is recognized as one of the most progressive and public-spirited business men of the city of Meridian, to whose industrial and civic advancement he has contributed in large measure, and he enjoys the most unequivocal popularity in the community. He is a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of Mississippi, the Carter family being of stanch English lineage and having been founded in Virginia in the colonial days. Members of the family were found enrolled as loyal soldiers in the Continental line during the War of the Revolution. Mr. Carter was born in Perry county, Miss., April 16, 1845, and is a son of Daniel McDonald and Mary (Granbury) Carter, both of whom were like wise native of Perry county. Daniel M. Carter became a successful planter in Perry county, where he also served a number of years as judge of probate, having been a citizen of prominence and in fluence. His father, Daniel Carter, was born in South Carolina and was a son of Thomas Carter, who was one of the first settlers of Perry county, Miss., as was also his brother Isaac, both having taken up their residence in said county about 1814. The parents of the subject of this review continued to reside in Perry county until their death, secure in the esteem of all who knew them. Thomas C. Carter was reared on the homestead plantation and secured his educational discipline in the schools of Perry county. At the age of eighteen years, in 1803, he tendered his aid in defense of the Confederate cause, enlisting in the Twenty-seventh Mississippi regiment and serving in Walthall's brigade, with which he took part in the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga and all other engagements in the historic campaign through to Jonesboro, including the battles of Franklin and Nashville. He enlisted as a private and was made aid-de-camp to General Walthall. He was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga but was not long incapacitated for duty. After the war he located in the city of Mobile, Ala., where he found employment as a clerk in mercantile establishments for a number of years, assisting in the support of the family, as his father had become an invalid and had also suffered great pecuniary losses during the war. He remained a resident of Mobile until 1882, when he removed to Meridian, Miss., where he has since maintained his home and where he has attained to distinctive success along normal lines of business enterprise. He engaged in the buying and shipping of cotton, building up a large and prosperous business, in which he continued actively engaged until 1903, when he turned the enterprise over to his sons, and since which time he has been established in a successful stock, bond and timber-land business. Captain Carter served two terms as president of the Meridian Board of Trade and Cotton Exchange, and within his executive regime lie was the prime factor in securing, through the representative in congress from this district, the appropriation for the erection of the fine new government building in Meridian, also securing the establishment of a government weather bureau in this city. He enlisted eastern capital in the organizing and incorporating of the Meridian National bank, which was eventually reorganized as the Union Banking and Trust Company. It was also largely due to his efforts while president of the Board of Trade and Cotton Exchange that the various railroad companies whose lines enter Meridian were prevailed upon to build the fine union passenger station in this city. Within his second term as president the Board of Trade and Cotton Exchange purchased its present substantial and attractive building. He is one of those who promoted the organization of the company which is soon to build the Memphis & Gulf railroad from Grenada, Miss., through Meridian to Pensacola, Fla., and he is at the present time a director of the company. In all that pertains to the welfare of his home city Captain Carter takes a deep and helpful interest and to him the city owes much for his attitude and services as a public-spirited and loyal citizen. He is a supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, is a deacon and trustee in the First Baptist church, is a Knight Templar Mason and is affiliated with the United Confederate Veterans. He is aide-de-camp on the staff of Gen. S. D. Lee and Gen. Clement A. Evans. On April (1, 1869, Captain Carter was united in marriage to Miss Azalene Lott, daughter of Capt. Elisha B. Lott, who was at that time a prominent business man of the city of Mobile, Ala. In conclusion is entered brief record concerning the children of this union: Ernest L. is cashier of the Laurel National bank, at Laurel, Miss.; Eugene H. is manager and member of the firm of Longshore & Company, of Meridian; Edward G. is manager of the cotton department of the firm of Wolf & Bros., of Chickasha, I. T.; and Mamie E., Hattie H., Elodie, Irma, Minnie, and Thomas C, Jr., remain at the parental home.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 14 Apr 2018
 

Burril, Erastus S.
Burril, Erastus S., an enterprising citizen and landholder of Gulfport, Harrison county, was born in the village of Casnovia, Muskegon county, Mich., Nov. 22, 1849, and his is the distinction of having been the first white child born in the embryonic village in the midst of the great lumber district of the Wolverine State, his parents, Ezra N. and Eliza (Fellows) Burril, natives of Ohio, having been numbered among the sterling pioneers of Muskegon county, which was practically unreclaimed from the forest wilderness at the time when they located there, while Indians outnumbered the white settlers at the time when their son Erastus was ushered into the world. Owing to the conditions and exigencies of time and place the early educational advantages of Erastus S. Burril were somewhat limited, but in the primitive schools of northern Michigan he laid the foundation of that broad fund of knowledge which he was later to gain in the great school of experience. His youth ful days were passed in the arduous labors incidental to clearing land from the virgin forest and putting the same under cultivation, while he also found employment in connection with the great lumbering industry in his native State. He finally became the owner of a farm, to whose cultivation he devoted his attention for a number of years, after which he sold the place and established a general store at Grant Station, Newaygo county, Mich., having purchased land and platted a town, selling a number of lots and being practically the founder of the village mentioned. For nine years he was engaged in the drug business at Grant Station, Mich., and in 1888 he came to Mississippi and located in Perry county, where he engaged in the real estate business and supervised the locating of timber lands for Delos A. Blodgett, of Grand Rapids, Mich., one of the leading lumber operators of the Union up to the time of his death, and he also did similar service for many others who sought investment in timber lands in Mississippi, his intimate knowledge of lumber values making him especially well equipped for the selection of such lands. He continued his residence in Perry county until 1900, when he located at Bond, Miss., until 1901. In April of that year he came to Gulfport. purchasing land in the Standard Land Company's addition to the town and there erecting the first house. He has also acquired other valuable property in and near the city, and he is engaged in the drug and general merchandise business, having a well appointed establishment. On Oct. 14, 1875, Mr. Burril was married to Miss Josephine A. Baker, daughter of Andrew and Clarissa (Holbrook) Baker, of Ashland, Newaygo county, Mich., in which county she was born and reared. Mr. and Mrs. Burril have ten children, namely: Ella May, Melvin E., Edwin J., Lysle E., Clara E., Alice A., Ida May, William, Frederick, and Benjamin Burke. In April, 1906, Mr. Burril made an extended trip to Central and South America, his purpose being to investigate timber and mineral lands for investment. He found Columbia to excel in timber and minerals and if the title to the land is found to be perfect, he and a company he represented will purchase 2,800,000 acres.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 14 Apr 2018
 

Batson, Thomas E.
3 Oct 1865-1 Jul 1922
Oaklawn Cemetery, Hattiesburg, Forrest, MS
Batson, Thomas E., of Hattiesburg, is the efficient and popular chancery clerk of Perry county, Miss., and formerly served as sheriff of that county. He has the satisfaction of designating Mississippi as the State of his nativity, having been born at Lumberton, Miss., Oct. 3, 1865, and being a son of Eli and Elizabeth (Davis) Batson, the former of whom was born in Perry county and the latter in Harrison county, Miss., which indicates that the respective families were early founded in this fine old commonwealth. Thomas E. secured a good common- school education and was reared on the homestead farm, while he continued to be actively identified with agricultural pursuits until 1884, when he took up his residence in Hattiesburg, where he has since maintained his home. In 1892 he was elected city marshal and tax collector, serving in this dual office for a period of four years, after which he was for an equal period incumbent of the office of county sheriff, making an excellent record in the connection and gaining a strong hold on public confidence and esteem. In 1903 a consistent recognition of his ability and former able service was accorded in his election to his present office, that of chancery clerk, for a term of four years, while in this office he has maintained the high reputation which his previous services had brought to him. He is an active worker in the ranks of the Democratic party, being one of the stanch exponents of party principles in Perry county. He is a Royal Arch Mason and also affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Woodmen of the World, while both he and his wife are members of the Baptist church. On May 3, 1894, Mr. Batson was united in marriage to Miss Alice Denham, daughter of Capt. Joseph W. and Damaris (Carter) Denham, of Perry county, and they have four children, namely: Ivy, Paul, Denham and Hazel.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 14 Apr 2018
 

Batson, Nathaniel
Batson, Nathaniel, is one of the representative citizens of Pearl River county, where he has important lumbering interests and where he is also president of the Bank of Poplarville, in which thriving village he maintains his home. He was born in Perry county, Miss., Feb. 11, 1867, and was reared to manhood in southern Mississippi, where he received the advantages of the public schools. He was reared on the little farm where he was born but had to give up farm life on account of a partially paralyzed limb and in his eighteenth year he became telegraph operator and station agent for the New Orleans & North Eastern railroad and also agent for the Southern Express Company, and he remained thus employed about seven years, at the expiration of which, in 1891, he was elected sheriff of Pearl River county. This office he retained four years, giving a most admirable administration of its duties. In 1895 he was elected clerk of the circuit and chancery courts of the county, assuming the duties of this office in January, 1896, and continuing incumbent for two terms — a period of eight consecutive years, retiring on account of ill health. Since retiring from office he has given his attention to various industrial and business interests of importance. He has been a forceful factor in the upbuilding and progress of Pearl River and northern Hancock counties and is known as a reliable and enterprising business man and public-spirited citizen. He and his brother, L. B. Batson, together own the well equipped saw mill plant at Millard, and he has other lumbering and timber interests in this part of the State and in Louisiana. He was one of the organizers of the Bank of Poplarville, in 1899, and is its president. The other members of its executive corps are as follows: J. O. Bilbo, vice-president; D. L. Batson, cashier; and M. N. McCoy, assistant cashier. The original capital of the bank was .$10,000 which was gradually increased by sale of stock to $20,000, and in 1905 a stock dividend of an equal sum was declared, thus making the capital stock $40,000, and it is now incorporated with a capital of $50,000 (1907). Its surplus and undivided profits aggregate $8,000 and its deposits $235,000. The bank has exercised beneficent and helpful functions and it is one of the solid and popular financial institutions of that section of the State. Mr. Batson is also a member of the directorate of the Hattiesburg Trust and Banking Company. He is modest and retiring in disposition and yet aggressive when duty demands. On Jan. 29, 1891, Mr. Batson was united in marriage to Miss Lucile Badon, and of their five children two are living — Shelby Howell and Lyndall.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 26 Mar 2018
 

Bradley, Rufus P.
Bradley, Rufus P., one of the representative farmers of Wayne county and a valued member of the board of supervisors of the county, has his postoffice address at Strengthford. He has passed his entire life thus far in the State of Mississippi, and has achieved success through his own efforts, which have been directed along legitimate lines of endeavor and guided and guarded by a spirit of absolute integrity and honor. He was born in Perry county, Miss., March 21, 1849, and is a son of James M. Bradley. His father was born in North Carolina, but while he was still a child his parents came to Mississippi, where he was reared to manhood and where he was identified with agricultural pursuits during the entire course of his independent career. He became the owner of a good farm in Perry county and was held in high esteem by all who knew him, being a man of positive character and unquestionable probity and having taken an active interest in public affairs of a local nature. His death occurred in Perry county in the year 1879. Rufus P. Bradley was reared to the sturdy discipline of the homestead plantation, in whose work and management he early began to assist, while his educational advantages were somewhat limited, owing to the exigencies of time and place. His schooling was principally secured in Jasper county, where he resided several years. He made his efforts count in his youth and in course of time became one of the prosperous farmers of his native county, where he was held in the highest popular esteem, being called upon to serve in various offices of public trust. He was a member of the board of supervisors of Perry county for two years, was county surveyor for an equal period, served four years as assessor, and made an excellent record in the office of sheriff, of which he was incumbent four years. In 1892 Mr. Bradley disposed of his interests in Perry county and removed to Wayne county, where he now owns and operates a well improved plantation. He has served as justice of the peace of this county, and his services have also been called into requisition as a member of the board of supervisors, of which he is a member at the present time. He is in control of important interests as local land agent for the great lumbering firm of D. A. Blodgett & Company, of Grand Rapids, Mich., whose holdings in Mississippi timber lands are very extensive. In politics Mr. Bradley is unwavering in his allegiance to the Democratic party, and he is affiliated with Waynesboro lodge Free and Accepted Masons, having been identified with this fraternity since 1870. In December, 1879, Mr. Bradley was married to Miss Sophia F. McDonald, daughter of Alexander McDonald, a prominent and influential citizen of Simpson county, Miss., and of the children of this union seven are living, namely: Margaret E.; Mary E., who is married and resides in Wayne county; Annette, wife of J. D. Dykes, of Perry county; and Lola, Laura, J. Rufus and William, who remain at the parental home, as does also the eldest daughter.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Added 13 Mar 2018
 

Anderson, Joseph Rankin
Anderson, Joseph R., M. D., representative physician and surgeon of Lamar county, is engaged in the practice of his profession in Sumrall, where he is associated with Dr. Joseph M. Clark, under the firm name of Anderson & Clark, and where he is also engaged in the drug business, being associated with Jno. H. Nutt. Dr. Anderson was born in Perry county, Miss., and is a son of Daniel A. and Henrietta (Stafford) Anderson, the former of whom was likewise born in Perry county, scion of one of the honored pioneer families of Mississippi, while the latter was born in Georgia, whence her parents removed to Mississippi when she was a child. Dr. Anderson passed his boyhood days on the homestead place in Perry county and was accorded excellent educational advantages in the public schools. He was matriculated in the Memphis Hospital medical college, at Memphis, Tenn., where he completed the prescribed courses of study and work in medicine and surgery and was graduated as a member of the class of 1902, receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine from this well equipped institution, which has not only the best of instructors and accessories, but also specially fine clinical advantages. Shortly after his graduation Dr. Anderson located in Lamar county, where he has met with gratifying reception both personally and professionally, being one of the successful physicians and surgeons of the county and also one of the representative business men of the new and rapidly growing little city of Sumrall, in which he is associated with Dr. Clark in the ownership and conducting of the only drug store. He is local surgeon for the Mississippi Central railroad and is identified with the county medical society, as well as that of the State ; is a Democrat in his political allegiance, taking a loyal interest in public affairs of a local order; is a member of the Baptist church, and is identified with the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Source:Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips
Added 14 Jan 2018
 

Draughn, Gabriel Dantzler
GABRIEL DANTZLER DRAUGHN of New Augusta, representative from Perry County, was born April 14, 1854, near Augusta, Perry County. Mississippi. He is the son of Rufus T. and Sabry Ann (Davis) Draughn. who came from South Carolina in 1819 and first settled near the place where their son was born and reared. The Draughns came to Mississippi with that tide of splendid pioneer emigration that flowed southward from the Carolinas to help make up some of the finest com­munities of the State. Representative Draughn grew up on his father's farm, and was educated in the schools of his community during and after the Civil War. He has continued to reside in the community where he was born and has always followed the occupation of farming In which he is intensely interested. He is one of the prominent farmers of his district. From 1908 to 1912 he served as a member of the Board of Supervisors of Perry County, an office in which he gave entire satisfaction, Having become widely known in his community for his good business sense and high ideals of public service he was at the solicitation of the voters of his county induced to enter State politics. In 1915 he was elected to the House of Representatives of Mississippi, and has been an able member of the following committees: Agri­culture; Fees and Salaries; Federal Relations; Liquor Traffic; Propositions and Grievances. Mr. Draughn is a Democrat, a member of the Baptist Church, a Mason and a Woodman of the World. He was married December 1, 1875 to Jane James, daughter of Phillip James and his wife, Mary (Smith) James. They had four children, Susie, Cora, Rufus Ford and India. His first wife died in February 1888. He later married Katie Hinton, daughter of William Hinton and Martha (Everett) Hinton. They had three children, Ralph, Martha, and Hinton James. His wife died November 15, 1893. and he was again married January 11, 1897, to Martha Elizabeth Carpenter, daughter of James Carpenter and Martha (Hinton) Carpenter. They have three children. Blanche, Liston and Prosper.
Legislative Biographies -- Gene P.
Added 28 Feb 2017
 

McLain, William I.
William I. McLain of Richton, Representative from Greene County, was born July 22, 1890, In the country near Richton. He is the son of John A. McLain and Margaret Emily (Jones) McLain. The father, John A. McLain, is the son of John McLain and Eliza McLain, of Richton (R. 1), Mississippi, where he was born. He took up the occupation of farming and has pursued it successfully. The grandfather, John McLain, served for a short time as a soldier in the Confederate Army during the Civil War; and his father. Alex­ander McLain, great-grandfather of the subject of our sketch, held the office of Chancery Judge and was one of the prominent men of his locality. The family of William I. McLain's mother lived at Avera, Mississippi. Her father and mother were Enoch S. and Susan Jones. Mr. McLain obtained his early education at the Public School in Indian Hill, where his instructors carefully prepared him for college. He secured his high school training at the Mississippi Heights Academy at Nine Mountain at which institution he was graduated with honors. He then entered upon a professional course to fit himself for teaching, in 1912, at Brookhaven, Mississippi. In 1914 he began his work in that profession, and has been teaching successfully ever since. He is also much interested in farming, and is an active member of the Farmer's Educational Co-operative Union of America, in which he holds the responsible office of Secretary and Treasurer. His interest in public affairs and especially in the educational progress of the State prompted him to enter politics where he could influence legislation upon all needful reforms and progressive measures touching the State's welfare. In 1915 he received the nomination to the State Legislature, and was elected to that body, where he has done excellent work on the following committees, al­though he is one of the youngest members of the House: Appropriations; Claims; Census and Apportionment; Eleemonsynary Institutions. Mr. McLain is a Democrat, and a member of the Baptist Church. He takes a great deal of interest in religious work, and has been Sunday School Superintendent and President of the B. Y. P. U. On August 26, 1915, at Algoma, Mississippi, he was married to Miss Gertie Tate, daughter of James and Zadie Tate of that place.
Legislative Biographies -- Gene P.
Added 28 Feb 2017
 

Hinton, William Riley
William Riley Hinton (13 Mar 1791-13 Mar 1863) was born in Johnston County, North Carolina and died in Perry County, Mississippi. Burial at Wingate Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi. He served in the War of 1812, Capt. Joseph P. Kennedy's Company, Mississippi Militia Military Service 11 Feb 1813. He was the second son of Jesse Hinton and Sarah Brauner and came to Mississippi with his father's entire family. Martha Jane Everett (30 Oct 1810-28 May 1893) came from Georgia and m. William Riley Hinton (20 Feb 1828) in Simpson County, Mississippi. They settled on Coleman Creek northeast of his father's place. They had 14 children, three of whom married close relatives due to a shortage of young people in the area. He also raised his oldest daughter's six children after the death of her husband. Three of his sons served in the Civil War.


Children of William Riley Hinton and Martha Jane Everett Hinton:

1. Martha Hinton Carpenter b. 1 Oct 1829 d. 10 Feb 1867 m. 27 Nov 1849 James Alexander Carpenter b. 18 Jul 1803 d. 9 Mar 1899. They had children born both in Bayou LaBatre, Alabama and Perry County, Mississippi. Burial unknown.
2. Mary Hinton Mixon b. 1 Mar 1832 d. 12 Apr 1851. Burial at Wingate Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi m. 1850 Reuben Mixon b. 27 Jul 1825 d. 2 Oct. 1862. Burial unknown.
3. Sarah Hinton Hinton, b. 17 Sep 1834 d. 13 Jan 1896 m. Joshua A. Hinton b. 1831, son of Robert Hinton. Burial at Josh Hinton Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
4. William Riley Hinton, Jr. b. 2 Apr 1837 d.1915 m. 1871 Ella Jane Strickland b. 1 Apr 1841 d. 4 Jan 1918. Burial in Perry County, Mississippi.
5. Elizabeth Hinton Hinton b. 15 May 1839 d. 25 Nov 1914 m. 1873 General Jackson Hinton, Sr., son of William (Bill) Hinton and Ellender Elizabeth Edwards, b. 12 Oct 1845 d. 4 Dec 1925, Perry County, Mississippi. Burial at unnamed Hinton Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
6. Jesse Hinton b. 10 Oct 1841 d. 28 Oct 1910 m. 1870 Laura A. Edwards b. 31 Oct 1853 d. 10 Jun 1900. Burial in Hinton Family Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
7. Thomas Everett Hinton b. 25 Aug 1843 d. 21 Nov 1918 m. Truissa Jane Breland Herring b. 10 Mar 1838 d. 14 Dec 1908. Burial at Hinton Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
8. Sally Hinton, b. 1845
9. James Hinton b. 14 Mar 1846 d. 1855. Burial at Wingate Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
10. Susan (Sally) Hinton Hinton b. 10 Sep 1848 d. 10 Oct 1921 m. 1870 Jeptha P. Hinton b. 22 Sep 1846 d. 17 Feb 1912, son of William Hinton. Burial at Hintonville Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
11. Catherine "Katie" Hinton Draughn b. 28 Apr 1851 d. 15 Nov 1893 m. 1888 Gabriel D. Draughn b. 14 Apr 1854 d. 13 Mar 1933. Burial at James Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
12. David Kalb "Pomp" Hinton b. 8 Oct 1853 d. 3 Aug 1919 m. 21 Oct 1879 Launa Jane Bradley b. 15 Jul 1856 d. 7 Jul 1935. Burial at Hinton Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
13. Cade M. Hinton b. 15 Mar 1856 d. 6 Feb 1921. Burial at Seminary Baptist Church Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.
(1st m. 1884 Mary Louisa McDonald b. 22 Jan 1864 d. 14 Jan 1894. Burial at Hinton-Edwards Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.)
(2nd m. 1895 Mamie M. Lott b. 1870 d. 1907. Burial at Sunset Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.)
(3rd m. 1906 Delia Andrews b. 1871 d. 1927. Burial at Seminary Baptist Church Cemetery, Perry County, Mississippi.)
14. Missouri Ann Hinton Pierce b. 1858 m. 1881 Isaac Pierce b. 1858. Burial unknown.
[Submitted by Gene P from collected genealogy information, additional information by Eloise W.]
Updated 7 Jul 2017
 


This page last updated on -- 31 May 2018

HOME

This Site is maintained by Gene Phillips

Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor