Extract taken from Publication
of the Mississippi Historical Society, By the Mississippi Historical
Society, Edited by Franklin L. Riley, Secretary, Volume V, Oxford, Mississippi, 1902, pgs 366-367 , from chapter
entitled “Extinct Towns and Villages of Mississippi” by Franklin L. Riley
Submitted by Debora Reese
Carrollville – The village of Carrollville was founded in 1834. It was once a place of considerable importance, being a trade center for the southeastern portion of Old Tishomingo and Pontotoc county. It was situated on the old Tuscumbia and Pontotoc road, sixty-five mils from the former and thirty-five miles from the latter place.
Among the early settlers of Carrollville was Wylie Belsher, who kept the first tavern; Jack Thompson, Joe Galling, and the Holcombe Brothers, merchants; George Wilburn, the saloon-keeper; and William gates, the “village blacksmith”. In 1836 R. B. Clayton took charge of the village tavern. In 1838 Guilford Stocks and A. I. Taylor, and in 1840 D. M. Allen and Robert Taylor settled near the village. The surrounding country was soon thickly settled by an intelligent class of people from Virginia, Georgia, and Alabama. In the decade from 1840 to 1850, which was the period of greatest prosperity in the history of this place, it had five dry goods store, belonging to the Robinson Brothers, Clayton & Walker, Robert Lowry, James Robinson, and T. B. Stubbs & Brother. Three saddlers’ shops were then operated by W. H. H. Tison, William Smith, and P. Langley; two shoe shops by William Waldrow, and John Rogers; two tailoring establishments by ____ Moffitt and Carpenter; a tanyard by Sam McCarley; a mill and gin by Sprightly Williams. The medical profession was represented by Drs. Burton, Boothe, Scruggs, Long and Smythe. These was one church house in Carrollville in which all denominations worshipped. It was also used as a schooling building and as a Masonic hall, where the Blue Lodge, No. 108, Royal Arch Chapter, No. 57, held its sessions.
In the early history of Carrollville all cotton was hauled to Memphis, Tenn., by wagons - a distance of one hundred and ten miles, and all freight and goods were brought from that city in the same way. In later years shipment were made to and from Eastport, on the Tennessee river, forty-eight miles distant. When the Mobile and Ohio railroad was completed as far as Baldwyn (1860), two miles away, the village of Carrollville rapidly declined, all business and its population. The Hon. Wm. M. Cox, who is at present a member of the Legislature from Prentiss county now lives on the old site of Carrollville. Among some of the noted residents of this place were the father of Ex-Governor Lowry, Hon. John M. Allen (who was born and reared in the village); W. H. H. Tison, member of he Legislature and Speaker of the House of Representatives.
 This sketch of based upon information derived from Mr. Thomas G. Stocks, of Baldwin, Miss., whose mother removed to Carrollville in 1838, and is now living in Baldwyn, Miss.
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.