Blount, Lucius L.
Added 29 May 2018
Blount, Lucius L., clerk of the circuit court of Water Valley, was born at Pittsboro, Calhoun county, Miss., May 11, 1875, a son of I. T. and Susan M. (Hubbard) Blount. The father was born in Ripley, Miss., and the mother in Greensboro, N. C. After receiving a preliminary education in the schools in the vicinity of his child hood home, Lucius L. Blount matriculated at the University of Mississippi, at Oxford. He went from college to Water Valley, where he was employed for a time as bookkeeper and stenographer. In politics he is a Democrat and as the candidate of that party has been twice elected clerk of the circuit court. Fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Pythias, the Woodmen of the World and the Free and Accepted Masons. On Dec. 26, 1897, Mr. Blount was united in marriage to Miss Evelyn N. Boyn, daughter of S. D. and Addie G. (Newberry) Boyn, of Coffeeville, Miss. To this union have been born three children — Lucille, I. T., and Lucius L., Jr. Mr. Blount is a man of genial, courteous manner and eminently fitted for the position of trust which he now holds.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Covington, John J.
Added 2 Apr 2018
Covington, John J., is one of the representative businessmen of Coffeeville, Yalobusha county, where he has a well equipped general store, controlling an excellent trade. He was born in Meriwether county, Ga., Feb. 11, 1849, being a son of John B. and Elizabeth (Bailey) Covington, both of whom were born in Wadesboro, Anson county, N. C. They removed from the old North State to Georgia, where they remained until 1860, when they removed to Mississippi and took up their residence in Coffeeville, passing the remainder of their lives in Yalobusha county. The subject of this sketch was reared to manhood in this county, in whose schools he completed his early educational training, and in 1901 he engaged in the general merchandise business in Coffeeville, where he has met with distinctive success. He was formerly identified with agricultural pursuits and is well and favorably known in this section. He is liberal and public-spirited as a citizen and gives a stanch support to the cause of the Democratic party. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. On Jan. 16, 1877, Mr. Covington was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Williams, daughter of Louis and Nancy E. (Bradstreet) Williams, of Yalobusha county, where the widowed mother still resides, Mr. Williams having met his death while serving as a soldier of the Confederacy in the Civil war. Mr. and Mrs. Covington have ten children, namely: John I., Nancy E., Emma C, Martha L., Maida I., Louis B., Clara I., Delton B., Elijah J. and William W.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Cole, William Quails
Added 22 Mar 2018
Cole, William Quails, of Water Valley, Miss., was born June 28, 1856, at Woodlawn Plantation, Holmes county, Miss., the son of William Ferguson Cole and Aurelia Qualls (Walton) Cole. His father was a native of Prince Edward county, Va., and settled in Mississippi in 1843. Mr. Cole attended the public schools of Lexington under the instruction of John L. Dyson, and obtained a practical education in bookkeeping and accounting under the tutor ship of his father, W. F. Cole. He was a practical printer from 1870 to 1878. He entered the service of the Chicago, St. Louis & New Orleans railroad (now Illinois Central) in 1878; was appointed traveling auditor for the Illinois Central railroad in 1883 from which position he resigned Jan. 1, 1898. He was a member of the Water Valley city council from 1894 to 1898; was elected auditor of public accounts in November, 1899, for the term beginning Jan. 15, 1900, and ending Jan. 18, 1904. He became ex-officio insurance commissioner upon the creation of the department, March 5, 1902, and was elected insurance commissioner by the people, Nov. 3, 1903. He is the author of the insurance law of Mississippi, and was instrumental in the establishment of a department of the State government devoted to insurance. Mr. Cole is a member of the First Methodist church of Jackson, Miss., and a member of the fraternal orders of Knights of Pythias, Knights of Honor, Elks, and Knights and Ladies of Honor. On Dec. 13, 1882, at Water Valley, Miss., Mr. Cole was married to Miss Alice May West, daughter of Thomas Jefferson West. Mrs. Cole is a descendant of Rev. John Prewitt Boydston, a pioneer Methodist minister of north Mississippi. Mr. and Mrs. Cole have four children: William West, Alice Williams, George Welling and Wilfred Qualls.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips
Submitted by: SUBMITTER]
Boothe, James B.
Added 20 Mar 2018
Boothe, James B., of Sardis, Panola county, is presiding on the bench of the Third judicial circuit of the State, and is one of the representative members of the Mississippi bar, while he is also an honored veteran of the Confederacy. He was born near Gatesville, Gates county, N. C, March 1, 1844, and in that same county were also born his parents, William R. and Margaret A. (Ballard) Boothe, the former Dec. 26, 1811, and the latter Oct. 16, 1813. Their grandfathers on both sides were soldiers in the Continental army during the War of the Revolution, and the paternal grandfather of Mrs. Boothe was an officer of high rank. The parents of Judge Boothe came to Mississippi in 1846, locating in Yalobusha county and there following agricultural pursuits until 1856, when he removed to Tallahatchie county, where he continued in the same line of enterprise and where both he and his wife passed the remainder of their long and useful lives. He was long a member of the board of supervisors of his county and was a man of influence in local affairs, being a stanch Democrat, while both he and his wife were zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They became the parents of seven children, of whom four are living. Judge Boothe received his early educational discipline in the schools of Yalobusha and Tallahatchie counties, and when seventeen years of age he numbered himself among the loyal sons of the South who went forth in defense of the Confederacy, enlisting in 1861, in Company F, Twenty-first Mississippi regiment of infantry, with which he remained until the battle of the Wilderness, May 6, 1864, when he lost his right arm. Among the principal engagements in which he took part were Savage Station, Malvern Hill, Harper's Ferry, both battles of Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Knoxville and the Wilderness, besides many of minor order. In the battle of Gettysburg he was slightly wounded in the hand. After the loss of his arm he was, of course, incapacitated for further service, and he returned home and taught school for a year. In 1865 he was elected clerk of the circuit and chancery courts of Tallahatchie county, and he was chosen as his own successor on the expiration of his first term, remaining incumbent of the office until March, 1868, when he was removed by the military authorities then in control. In the meanwhile he had been prosecuting a careful course of reading of the law, under the direction of Col. W. H. Fitzgerald, commander of his old regiment, and he was admitted to the bar at the last term of the circuit court in 1868. After retiring from the office of circuit clerk, he engaged in the practice of his profession in Charleston, where he made rapid rise in professional standing, there continuing in practice until 1874, when he removed to Sardis, Panola county, where he has ever since been identified with the work of his profession, in which he has met with marked success. He was elected a member of the State senate in 1885, serving during the sessions of 1886 and 1888, while in 1890 he was a member of the constitutional convention, from the Second congressional district as a delegate from the State at large. He served twenty-three years as United States commissioner, and on Oct. 8, 1903, he was appointed to his present office as judge of the Third judicial circuit. One familiar with the career of Judge Boothe has written of him as follows: "He is a talented man, a shrewd practitioner, a forcible and eloquent speaker and one whose public career is above reproach. While holding the different offices and positions of trust with which he has been honored, he has jealously guarded the interests of the people and faithfully discharged his duty." Judge Boothe is one of the stalwarts in the ranks of Mississippi Democracy and has been an influential factor in the party councils. In a fraternal way he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Honor, the Knights and Ladies of Honor, the Patrons of Husbandry and the American Legion of Honor. On Dec. 10, 1868, Judge Boothe was married to Miss Annie E. Hill, who was born and reared in Panola county, a daughter of William C. Hill. Judge and Mrs. Boothe have three children - William Edwin, Annie Estelle and Lillian.
[Source: Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Bailey, James M.
Added 5 Mar 2018
Bailey, James M., vice-president of the Bank of Courtland, Panola county, where he is also engaged in the general merchandise business, was born in Hall county, Ga., Aug. 22, 1857, and is a son of Robert S. and Eliza A. (Thompson) Bailey. They came to Mississippi while the subject of this sketch was a child and located in Yalobusha county, where the father engaged in planting and also conducted a general store. He served under Gen. Robert E. Lee during the Civil war. and after the close of the great struggle removed with his family to California, where he met his death in 1874, as the result of an accident. His wife died in 1870, in Yalobusha county, Miss. James M. Bailey passed his boyhood days on the farm and was afforded the advantages of the public schools, and in 1874, after the death of his father, he returned to Mississippi, being at the time about seventeen years of age. In Yalobusha county he was identified with agricultural pursuits for some time, while for eight years he was employed as salesman in a mercantile establishment and for two years as a traveling salesman, after which he engaged in the mercantile business on his own responsibility, at Tillatoba, where he remained two years. In 1903 he opened his present general store in Courtland, where he has built up a very prosperous business, his establishment being commodious, while each department is well stocked and appointed. He was one of the organizers of the Bank of Courtland, in 1903, and is vice-president of the institution at the present time. He has a pleasant home in Courtland and is also the owner of other desirable town property, including his store building. The Democratic party finds Mr. Bailey one of its loyal supporters, and he is a member of the board of aldermen of Courtland at the present time (1906), while he served in a similar capacity while resident of Tillatoba, Yalobusha county. He is a member of Stonewall Jackson Lodge, No. 332, Free and Accepted Masons, and is also affiliated with the Woodmen of the World and the Knights of Pythias. On Feb. 2, 1876, Mr. Bailey was married to Miss Sallie Smith, and she died in 1895, being survived by five sons - James L., who died Jan. 16, 1902, and F. W., associated with his father in business as bookkeeper; S. C, now of Augusta, Ark., and Vernon and Ernest, attending school. On Dec. 5, 1900, Mr. Bailey wedded Miss Martha Baker, daughter of Israel Baker, a well known farmer of Panola county, and of this union have been born two children - Lena R. and Robert S.
[Mississippi Biography Vol III 1907 -- Transcribed by Gene Phillips]
Vaughn, Thomas Solomon
Added 5 Jan 2014
Thomas Solomon Vaughn, a pioneer settler of Texas, now living on his fine farm near Pottsville in Hamilton County, was born on the 28th of February,1836, in Yalobusha County, Mississippi, and is a son of John and Malinda Reed Vaughn, who brought their family to Texas in the fall of 1837, location first at Cedar Creek Washington County, but on account of the Indians they went to Montgomery County three years later. Their next move made them residents of Brazos county, whence they went to Robertson county, and later across the line to Rogers' Prairie in Leon County. The father died September 4, 1850, at the age of forty-five years. He was a native of Virginia, and Having lost his parents when a very small child he was reared by an uncle, The maternal grandfather of our subject, John Reed, was of Irish descent, and in his family were the following children: Hester, Nancy, Malinda, Lucy, Betsy, Mary who wedded Mr Miley, George, Amanda and Solomon.
Shortly after the death of his father, Thomas S Vaughn started out in life for himself, first driving a team between Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and other points, and during that time made his home in Leon County. After a few months he became owner of a couple of teams and engaged in the freighting business. He next began dealing in cattle, having a heard of one hundred and fifty. His personal interests were interrupted, however, by the breaking out of the Civil War, and on the 22d of May, 1862, he entered the Confederate service as a member of Company B, Gould's Battalion, Walker's Division. He served in the cavalry for six months in Arkansas and Louisiana, taking part in all the engagements in which his command participated.
The war over, Mr. Vaughn returned to Leon County and explored the central and western portions of the state looking for a location, and at length pre-empted land east of the Leon River, about four miles from Jonesboro. He afterward exchanged that land for other lands and added to it until he had four hundred and eighteen acres, eighty of which was under cultivation, some of the improvements haven been made upon the land before he purchased it. Later he enhanced this for a cotton gin at Pottsville and a farm of two hundred and forty acres on the Hoover Branch up Cowhouse, exchanging with E Manning. On the 22 th of November 1875, he bought of T. J. Rosser and wife his present place comprising tow hundred and forty acres, and the following November removed thereon. He also purchased seven hundred and ninety-two acres of land adjoining. He cotton gin was operated and another party and finally sold to J. C. C. Martin & Son, Mr Martin being his son-in-law. During the early day he experienced much trouble with the Indians, having at one time five head of horses taken by them. In 1873 he sold his stock of cattle, numbering at that time nine hundred head. From September 1874, to March 1895, he was in the sheep business, at times having as many as twenty-four to twenty-six hundred head. At present (summer of 1896) he has a little over town hundred head of horses and mules. He also owns and operates a cotton gin at Indian Gap.
On the 20th of May, 1858, at Rogers' Prairie, Leon County, Mr Vaughn married Miss Eliza Clark, who was born in Arkansas, September 1, 1837, and is the daughter of Benjamin and Mary Ann (Pierce) Clark. Her father emigrated to Texas in 1842, location first in Hopkins county, but his last days were passed in Leon County, but his last days were passed in Leon County, where he died Aug, 1866, at the age of eighty years. He was a native of Tennessee, whence he removed to Nebraska, later to Arkansas and Missouri, and finally became a resident of the Lone Star State. In the war of 1812 he served under General Jackson, participating in the battle of New Orleans. At the early age of nineteen years he became a minister of Missionary Baptist Church, and was the first missionary sent to Missouri by the Board of American Baptist Missions. On arriving in Texas he spent some time in the Red River Association, and in 1852 became a member of the Trinity River Association.
The family of Mr. & Mrs Vaughn Comprise the following Children: Theodocia, born July 25, 1859, died at the age of three months; Owen, born July 28, 1860, died December 14, 1888; Thomas Lewis, born December 13, 1862, Married Katie Walton, by whom he has 3 children, --Austin, Viola and William,--and with his family now resided in Coke County, Texas, where he is engaged in farming and ginning cotton; Julia Ann, born June 29, 1865, married J. C. C. Martin, now of Comanche, Texas, by whom she had five children--Solomon Taylor, Lorena, Grover Cleveland, Georgia Bell and Orelia; Malinda Aryella, born September 7, 1868, died September 4, 1873; Mary Emeline, born July 2, 1873, is the wife of G. P. Pierce, and they have four children,--Louella, Esther Ethel, Nora Vida and Thomas Marcus; Francis Marin and James Monroe, twins, born October 7, 1875, are engaged in farming in Cooke County, Texas; and Martha Lulu, born September 14, 1879, is at home.
Mr Vaughn is a type of the old stockman of his section of the state, which is now becoming extinct, and has taken a prominent part in the affairs of the locality. He cast his first vote in support of the Know Nothing Party, but is now an ardent Democrat. He joined the Masonic order at Jonesboro in 1872, and how holds his membership in Rock House Lodge, No 417, F. & A. M., of Hamilton; joined Sycamore Grange, when organized, of the he became the treasurer, and also belongs to the Farmers' Alliance. He is a conscientious Christian gentleman, of the strictest integrity, and for twenty-seven years has been an active member of the Baptist Church.
[History of Texas, Central Texas Vol I, Pub 1896 -- Transcribed by: Gene P]
Murphree, D Q
Added 17 Nov 2013
D.Q. Murphree, of Garland, Dallas county, was born in Yalobusha county, Mississippi, October 31, 1848, the ninth of twelve children born to his father, S. M. Murphree. The latter was born in east Tennessee, October 4, 1813, and died January 17, 1884, at the age of seventy-one years, three months and thirteen days. In his infancy he moved with his parents to Alabama, where he lived until his marriage, in 1830, to Miss Phoebe Nations, after which he moved to Yalobusha county, Mississippi. He next went to Smith county, Texas, in 1866, where he lived until 1875, when he removed to Van Zandt county, and remained there until his death. Mr. Murphree was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church and a good citizen. His wife died at the home of her son, J. P., in Hamilton county, Texas, at the age of seventy-four years.
D. Q. Murphree was eighteen years of age when his father moved to Texas, and he continued to live at home until one year after his marriage, when he moved to Red River, and next to Dallas county. He bought fifty-eight acres of land near Duck creek, but after four years sold this little farm and moved to near Mesquite, where he bought 100 acres, which he farmed twelve years. He has since added to this place until he now owns 500 acres of valuable land. He next lived in Cedar Hill two years and then moved to Garland, a small town fourteen miles northeast of Dallas. Mr. Murphree was married in Smith county, December 1, 1870, to Miss Elizabeth Florence, a daughter of J. H. Florence, and who died in Cedar Hill. Mr. Murphree has one brother and three sisters living, viz.: J. P., a resident of Hamilton county, Texas; Catharine, wife of R. C. McKenzie, of Van Zandt county; Pauline, wife of John Prescott, of Smith county; and Selina, wife of Henry Montgomery, of Sorden valley, Smith county.
[Source: "Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas:..."; The Lewis Publishing company, 1892; KT, Sub by FoFG]
Cairy Hudson & William Wilbourn
Added 17 Sep 2013
HON. EARL BREWER, GOVERNOR OF MISSISSIPPI
Intense loyalty to his native state, a conscientiousness demanding honest discharge of both public and private duties, are predominant characteristics of the nature of Hon. Earl Brewer of Mississippi, and entitle him fairly to be called "The First Gentleman"' of the state he has admirably served for the past four years.
Earl Brewer was born in Carroll County, Mississippi, seven miles west of Vaiden, on the eleventh day of August, 1869. His father died when he was eleven years of age; being the oldest boy, he became the head of the family, and as they were afflicted with poverty he was permitted to attend school but little after his father's death.
At the age of fifteen he went to Texas, remaining out on the plains for three years when he came back to Mississippi. He entered the Law School at the University of Mississippi the twenty-first day of November, 1891, receiving his diploma as a graduate In law on the tenth day of June, 1892. He had studied law around the fireside at home, without a teacher, and entered the University late in the session after the other members of the law class were well on their way; but he began with them, taking both junior and senior law, during the Christmas holidays reviewing the work of both classes. On the first of February, 1892, he stood the intermediate examination with both classes, passing his examination in June and graduated. He immediately began the practice of law at Water Valley in Yalobusha county, Mississippi, and in 1895 was nominated for the State Senate by the Democratic party of his senatorial district; was duly elected at the November election and served as State Senator from the twenty-eighth district, as the youngest member of that body, for four years.
In February, 1902, he was appointed District Attorney in the newly created Eleventh Judicial District, by Governor Longino, and served under this appointment until January, 1904, when he was elected to the full term, without opposition, and continued to serve as district attorney until the twenty-fifth day of August, 1906, when he resigned the office and entered the race for governor of Mississippi. During the term he served as district attorney, he was recognized as a terror to all evil doers. His vigorous and fearless prosecution of all violators of the law, of all classes, deterred any one from opposing him for re-election to this office, and the law abiding people of his district greatly regretted his resignation.
He was opposed in the race for governor by five as strong men as the state afforded, and under the double primary system, in August, 1907, four of the candidates were eliminated-he and the Honorable E. F. Noel were left In the race as the leading candidates. A strenuous second primary resulted in a neck-and-neck finish, Noel being elected by 2002 majority in the entire state. Four years later, in 1911, Earl Brewer was nominated and elected governor of Mississippi without opposition. At the time of his election he was in Montreal, Canada, on business.
He was inaugurated governor on the sixteenth day of January, 1912, and will complete his four-year term in the early part of January, 1916.
When he was inaugurated governor, the state was rent in twain with political factions as never before. His whole administration has been characterized by his desperate effort to enforce the laws of the state and have every person, regardless of wealth, power or influence, obey the laws, as the humblest citizen of the land should.
In addition to discharging the many and varied duties devolving upon him during his tenure of office, he has engaged in trying to systematize the various institutions of the state and give them a business administration. He has been successful in this endeavor, and the institutions are run upon a more economical basis than ever before. In fact, the entire administration has been businesslike, and an effort on the part of the governor to see that all laws were enforced.
One of his greatest efforts has been to maintain the faith and credit of his state, and as an evidence of his accomplishment in this regard, he has been able to borrow such money as the state was compelled to borrow at the lowest rate of interest that the state has paid since the Civil War. At one time during his administration, the state sold a large issue of its bonds at a premium, although the neighboring states were compelled to sell their bonds, bearing the same rate of interest, at a discount.
Governor Brewer is married, and his home life is ideal.
[The Lawyer & Banker and Southern Bency & Bar review, Vol. 8 Edited by Charles Ellewyn George
Submitted by: Karen Seeman]
Denley, George Elias
George Elias Denley, of Coffeeville, representative from Yalobusha County, was born August 9, 1867, at Coles Creek, Mississippi. His father was James Denley, who was the son of Nicholus P. Denley and Sarah (Carter) Henley of South Mississippi. He was born In Yalobusha County, and enlisted In the Confederate Army, August 9, 1861, in Company D. 42nd Mississippi Regiment, and served with ardent devotion to the Southern cause throughout the entire War. His regiment took part in the campaigns fought in , Virginia and Pennsylvania. George Elias Denley's mother, Margaret (Sellers) Denley, was the daughter of Phillip Sellers, of Coles Creek, Calhoun County, Mississippi. Representative Denley was educated in the free schools of his county, and at Coles Creek Academy, where he spent one term. His chief occupation has always been farming. But from 1887 to 1889, and from 1896 to 1900 he taught school. Not content with success along these two lines, he became the successful proprietor and editor of the Coffeeville Courier, which he is conducting at the present time. He is also agent and district manager of the Lamar Life Insurance Company and holds the responsible position of Trustee of the Yalobusha County Agricultural High School. From 1895 to 1899 he was Justice of the Peace; and from 1899 to 1907 he was an able member of the Board of Supervisors of his County. Mr. Denley is not only well equipped for public service but his sterling qualities and steadfast purpose in contending for the right makes him a safe servant of the people. Elected to the State Legislature in 1915, he was placed upon the committees on Municipalities, where he has faithfully served his constituents. Mr. Denley is a Democrat, and Treasurer and Deacon of the Baptist Church. He belongs to the Masons and the Woodmen of the World. January 7, 1892, he was married, near Coffeeville, Mississippi, to Martha Ellen Williams, daughter of George W. and Martha Ellen (Vanhoozer) Williams of Yalobusha County. Mr. and Mrs. Denley have a large and interesting family of children, whose names are as follows: Martha Essie, Margaret Bessie, Chester Lamar, Mary Jessie, Gladys Ethel, Sellers Vanhoozer, Nellie Tolise, Evelyn Grace, Gerald Hamilton, and George Edwin.
[The Official and Statistical Register of the State of Mississippi
By Mississippi Dept. of Archives and History, Dunbar Rowland
Submitted by: Karen Seeman]
Vardaman, William S.
Vardaman, William S., who is serving his third successive term as mayor of the thriving little city of Greenwood, the judicial center of Leflore county, is a representative of one of the early settled families of Mississippi and is a brother of Hon. James K. Vardaman, who was inaugurated governor of the State Jan. 19, 1904. The popular mayor of Greenwood was born in Jackson county, Tex., in 1867, and is a son of William S. and Mary (Fox) Vardaman. The father was born in Copiah county, Miss., whence he went to Texas in 1856, becoming one of the pioneers of the Lone Star State. He entered the Confederate service at the outset of the Civil war as a member of a Texas regiment in the brigade commanded by General Ross, and he terminated his military career only when victory had finally crowned the Union arms. In 1868 he returned to Mississippi and located in Yalobusha county, where he became a prosperous planter and where both he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives. William S. Vardaman, subject of this brief review, was an infant at the time of his parents' return to Mississippi and he passed his boyhood days on the homestead plantation, in Yalobusha county, while he secured good educational advantages in the schools of Water Valley, that county. He is engaged in the insurance business, in which he has built up a profitable enterprise. For five years he was in the internal revenue service of the southern district, and for two years he held the office of marshal of Greenwood. He was elected mayor of the city, in which office he is now serving his third term, which demonstrates his hold upon popular esteem and confidence, while his administration has been signally liberal and progressive. He is a Democrat of the Jeffersonian school and has token an active part in furthering the party interests in a local way. In 1895 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Vardaman to Miss Daisy Willings, who died, the only child of the union being also deceased. Mr. Vardaman was wedded the second time to Miss Ladell Martin, daughter of John A. Martin, who was a soldier of the Confederacy, as a member of a Mississippi regiment, during the Civil War. Mr. and Mrs. Vardaman have two children, Ladell and Eliza.
["Mississippi" by Dunbar Rowland, 1907
Submitted by: Karen Seeman]
This page last updated on -- 31 May 2018
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor