Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Biographies

" C "

Hon. Charles E. Caldwell. Among the old and honorable families of Andrew County must be mentioned the Caldwell’s. They have been identified with agricultural and industrial development for many years and in numerous ways have made their influence felt to the advantage of this section. A prominent representative of this family in Rochester Township is Hon. Charles E. Caldwell, who is serving in his second term as county judge. He has extensive farm and stock interests and is one of the county's leading men along many lines.
Charles E. Caldwell was born in Rochester Township, Andrew County, Missouri, July 27, 1867, and is a son of David G. and Josephine (Searles) Caldwell, and a grandson of John and Margaret (Clouse) Caldwell, the latter natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania, respectively. David G. Caldwell was born in Ross County, Ohio, March 7, 1847, and was brought to Andrew County by his parents in 1851 and now lives retired at Rochester. After serving three pears as a private soldier during the Civil war he turned to the peaceful pursuit of agriculture and his subsequent life until retirement was spent as a farmer. He married Josephine Searles, who was born in Rochester Township, Andrew County, May 17, 1846, and of their nine children, Charles E. was the first born.
Charles E. Caldwell was educated in the public schools of Rochester Township and remained on the home farm assisting his father until he was twenty-two years of age. A few years later he was married and then moved to Denver, Colorado, where he entered into an entirely different line of work, entering the employ of the Denver City Railway Company, as a street car conductor, in which capacity he served for six years. In 1896 he returned to Rochester Township where he now owns a fine farm of 200 acres, on which he has made many improvements, erecting substantial buildings for stock and other purposes and in 1911 erecting his handsome 10-room residence. Judge Caldwell does an extensive stock business, raising mules, cattle and hogs for market and still largely looks after this industry himself notwithstanding public life has claimed much of his attention for some years.
In his political views, Judge Caldwell has always been a republican and it was on the ticket of that party that he was first elected county judge in 1912. In no way could public approbation of his administration have been better shown than by his reelection to this important office, in 1914. On the bench he has shown impartiality and fairness in all his decisions and that his knowledge of law is sound and thorough.
Judge Caldwell was married on March 26, 1890, to Miss Cora E. Sigrist. who was born in Rochester Township, Andrew County, September 15, 1871. She belongs to an old and prominent county family and is a daughter of Philip and Mary Sigrist, both now deceased. For many years her father was a leading business man and a public official at Rochester. Judge and Mrs. Caldwell have four children: Marie. Hazel, Ada and Philip. The family belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Rochester. Judge Caldwell finds but little time to devote to what is termed recreation, but he enjoys genial companionship and highly values his membership with the Knights of Pythias at Rochester.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1730-1731; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


David G. Caldwell. With the exception of three years, during which time he was serving as a soldier in the Union army, at the time of the Civil war, David G. Caldwell has been a resident of Andrew County since 1851. His life has been devoted to the pursuits of agriculture, and his labors have been so well directed, that now, in his declining years, he is living retired from activity, enjoying that peace and comfort which only comes to the laborer who knows that his work has been well and faithfully done.
Mr. Caldwell was born March 7, 1847, in Noble County, Indiana, and is a son of John and Margaret (Clouser) Caldwell. His father was born in Ohio, September 14, 1810, and as a young man engaged in farming, a vocation in which he continued to be engaged throughout the remainder of his life. He was married in Ohio to Miss Margaret Clouser, who was born in Pennsylvania, October 24, 1816, and not long thereafter they moved to Noble County, Indiana, where they made their home on a farm until 1848. In that year they removed to Schuyler County, Illinois, but after about three years in the prairie state again turned their faces to the West and finally took up their residence in Andrew County, Missouri, one-half mile south of Rochester. In addition to being a practical and energetic farmer, Mr. Caldwell was a millwright by trade, and for a number of years, in partnership with his brother William, conducted the Rochester Mills at that place. He was an industrious workman, directed his labors in an intelligent manner and lived to see the modest holdings of his younger years grow and develop into a substantial property, and to see his children reared to sturdy man and womanhood, ready to take their places among the world's workers; John Caldwell died December 27, 1857, while Mrs. Caldwell survived him for some years, passing away April 4, 1893. They were the parents of six children, as follows: Simon C., who is deceased; Joseph H., a well-to-do retired farmer of Rochester, who served three years in the Missouri Light Artillery during the Civil war, and a sketch of whose career will be found elsewhere in this work; David G., of this review; John, who is deceased; Eliza, who died at the age of twelve years; and Henry C, who resides with his brother, David G.
David G. Caldwell was a child of one year when taken by his parents to Illinois, and but four years of age when the family made the overland journey to Andrew County, Missouri. Here he grew to sturdy young manhood as a farmer boy, and received his education in the district schools, which he attended during the winter months. On August 8, 1863, he enlisted in Company C, Twelfth Regiment, Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, with which organization he served three years.  He then disposed of his land and removed to Rochester, where he has since lived in quiet retirement. A republican in his political views, at various times he has been called upon to serve in public office, having acted at various times as constable, deputy sheriff and deputy revenue collector, in each of which capacities he has given evidence of the possession of executive ability and a conscientious wish to serve the best interests of his community. In 1890 he took the census in the west half of Monroe Township, Andrew County, Missouri.
Mr. Caldwell was married November 4, 1866, to Miss Josephine Surles, who was born at Rochester, Missouri, May 17, 1848, a daughter of John and Sarah (Yingst) Surles, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Ohio. Mr. Surles came to Missouri with his parents as early as 1832, securing land of the United States Government, three miles north of Rochester, where his wife's people located the same year. In 1852 Mr. Surles crossed the plains to California, and while in that state succumbed to sickness, while Mrs. Surles died in Missouri.
Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Caldwell, namely: Judge Charles E., a sketch of whose career appears on another page of this work; Magdalena, who died at the age of two years; Claude 0., a resident of Cosby, Andrew County; Ella, who is the .wife of 0. K. Barton, of Flag Spring, Missouri; Grace, deceased, who was the wife of Earl Dungan, of Rochester; May Bell, who is the wife of Clyde Belton, of Helena, Missouri; Lovina, who is the widow of Carl Kimerlin, and resides with her father; and Jesse, who resides near Cosby, Missouri.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1764-1765; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Joseph H. Caldwell. The progressive agriculturist of Northwest Missouri, after many years spent in tilling the soil of any one locality, is usually loath to turn over to other hands the property to which his life's labors have been devoted; but when he feels that advancing years entitle him to a rest from his activities, and he retires from active participation therein to the quietude of private residence in the adjoining town or village, he is welcomed as an addition to the community who, through his years of practical experience, cannot fail to contribute to his new home interests. Joseph H. Caldwell, who is now living in retirement at Rochester, Andrew County, was for many years engaged in agricultural pursuits in Rochester Township, and his energetic and well-directed labors have earned him a competency that assure him of all of life's comforts in his declining years.
Mr. Caldwell was born in Noble County, Indiana, May 17, 1841, and is a son of John and Margaret (Clouser) Caldwell. His father was born September 14, 1810, in Ohio, and was there married to Miss Margaret Clouser, who was born October 24, 1816, in Pennsylvania, and shortly after their marriage they moved to Noble County, Indiana, where they resided on a farm until 1848. In that year they removed to Schuyler County, Illinois, but in 1851 came on to Andrew County, Missouri, where the father secured a tract of land one-half mile south of Rochester. In addition to carrying on agricultural pursuits, Mr. Caldwell was a millwright, and in partnership with his brother, William, conducted the Rochester Mills for several years. He was faithful and energetic in his labors and was able to furnish a good home for his family before his death, which occurred December 27, 1857, the mother surviving him until April 9, 1872. They were the parents of six children, namely: Simon C., who is deceased; Joseph H., of this review; David G., who served in a Missouri Cavalry regiment during the Civil war and is now living retired at Rochester after many years spent in farming, and a sketch of whose life will be found elsewhere in this work; John, who is deceased; Eliza, who died at the age of twelve years; and Henry C., who makes his home with his brother, David G.
Joseph H. Caldwell was about ten years of age when the family came to Andrew County, and here he grew to manhood in the vicinity of Rochester, where he received his education in the public schools. The outbreak of the Civil war found him, with other young men of his community, ready to serve the Union, and March 14, 1862, he enlisted under Capt. H. B. Johnson, in an independent battery of light artillery. This organization, in the latter part of 1863, was converted into the First Missouri Cavalry, and Mr. Caldwell. remained in active service until peace was declared in 1865, when he was mustered out at St. Louis. He had a good record as a soldier and on his return home resumed his activities as a farmer, and for thirty years continued to be a tiller of the soil. Through industrious and persevering labor he succeeded in the accumulation of a handsome property, which he eventually sold, and since that time has been residing at Rochester, where he still takes an active interest in the affairs and movements which affect his community. He is a republican in his political views, but his chief connection with political matters has been as a voter and a stanch supporter of good men and measures.
Mr. Caldwell was married in 1866 to Miss Minerva Tomlinson, who was born December 8, 1844, in Indiana, and came to Missouri in 1854 with her parents, John and Delilah (Christie) Tomlinson, the former a native of Maryland and the latter of Ohio and both of whom died in Missouri at advanced ages. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Caldwell, four of whom died in infancy, the others being: F. L., who is a resident of Atchison, Kansas; Maude, who is the wife of Thomas N. Jaynes, a farmer of Rochester Township; Margaret, who is the wife of William Shrives, also a farmer of Rochester Township; and Mattie, the wife of George Miller, of the same township.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1759-1760; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Ernest H. Carpenter, M.D. In the twelve years since Doctor Carpenter located at Helena in Andrew County his reputation as a capable young physician has been steadily growing, and he now enjoys the largest practice in that community. He is a thoroughly educated and experienced physician and surgeon, and at the same time is one of the leaders in local affairs and improvements.
Dr. Ernest H. Carpenter was born three miles north of Helena on a farm July 27, 1878, a son of Daniel E. and Mary C. (Utz) Carpenter. Both his parents were born in Virginia, his father July 9, 1847, and his mother in June, 1847. They were brought when children to Missouri, their respective parents locating in Buchanan County near St. Joseph. There they grew up, were married, and about 1874 moved to Andrew County. The mother died there September 16,1896, and the father afterwards retired to Union Star, where he is now living. Two of their five children were: Ada E.. wife of S. B. Kirtley of Union Star; Dr. Ernest H..
Doctor Carpenter grew up on a farm, but when a boy resolved upon a professional career, and while enjoying the wholesome environment of the farm also utilized every opportunity to prepare himself for his chosen work. He attended the country schools, spent two and a half years in the Chillicothe Normal School, and then entered the Central Medical College at St. Joseph, where he remained three years, about half of which time was devoted to his duties as interne in St. Joseph Hospital. Doctor Carpenter took his concluding course in medicine and his degree as doctor of medicine from the Marion Sims Beaumont Medical College at St. Louis, graduating April 25, 1903. Since his graduation he has been located at Helena, and in connection with his growing practice as a physician conducts a drug store. He owns his place of business, which is on the corner opposite the bank.
Doctor Carpenter is a democrat in politics, and has associated himself in a public spirited manner with local improvements since coming to Helena to live. He has his church membership in the First Christian Church at St. Joseph and is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity in the Scottish Rite degrees and also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Doctor Carpenter was married November 4, 1914, to Miss Ida May Kuenzi, who was born in Rochester Township, a daughter of Fred and Emma (Brand) Kuenzi. Her father is now deceased, and her mother lives on the old farm in Rochester Township. Mrs. Carpenter graduated with the class of 1911 from the Missouri Wesleyan College at Cameron, and was engaged in teaching for two years prior to her marriage.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1736-1737; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


William CawoodWilliam Cawood. The late William Cawood was for many years a resident of Andrew County, and when he died, May 18. 1912, the community lost one of the most charitable and honored of its citizens. During his long and busy life he had been successful in the accumulation of a large estate, being known as one of the most prominent farmers and heavy landowners of Northwest Missouri, but he left behind him also something more desirable—a name beyond reproach and to be remembered, as an inspiration, by his surviving children and widow.
William Cawood was born at Whitesville, Andrew County, Missouri, in October, 1842, and was a son of Berry and Lucy (Bailey) Cawood. His parents, natives of Kentucky, came to Northwest Missouri at an early date, settling in the vicinity of Whitesville, where the father was engaged in agricultural pursuits during the remainder of his life. Of the children of Berry and Lucy Cawood four grew to maturity: Mary, deceased, who was the wife of Young Howard; William, of this review; John, who died young; and George, a resident of Nebraska.
The public schools of Whitesville furnished William Cawood with his education, and he grew up amid rural surroundings, remaining on the home farm until reaching the age of nineteen years. At that time he set forth on a journey across the plains to the West, a journey fraught with much danger, and spent eight or nine years in the mountain states, when he returned to the vicinity of his birth. The remainder of his life was devoted to farming and stockraising in Andrew County, he making a specialty of raising cattle and hogs. Through good business management, foresight and judgment, he was able to accumulate a large property, and at the time of his death owned 1,219 acres of good land, well cultivated, fertile, and boasting of modern improvements of the most substantial character. When the Great Western Railroad put its tracks through this section, they passed over section 5, Platte Township, where was located a part of the Cawood's farm, and when the station was erected here it was named Cawood in his honor, this having been the start of what is now a thriving little village of 100 people. Mr. Cawood never received any money by inheritance,' and what he accomplished was through his own efforts, aided by those of his faithful wife and children, to whom he was ever a kind and indulgent husband and father. Among his neighbors and fellow-townsmen he was known as a generous-hearted wholesouled man, ever ready with his charity and always willing to contribute to the welfare of individual or community. His numerous friends mourned his loss, and he is still remembered as one whom the county could ill afford to spare.
His political affiliations were with the democratic party. On Saturday evening, May 18, 1912, Mr. Cawood left home not feeling well, to drive an animal from his meadow, lying east of Cawood, that belonged to one of his neighbors. Some parties from Cawood were watching him from the stockyards, and presently saw him dismount, an unusual thing for him to do, as he was a splendid rider for a man of his age and seldom left the saddle even when conversing with friends. The parties from town, suspecting that something was wrong, waited for a reasonable time and then started for the spot, where they found Mr. Cawood dead, the physician who was called pronouncing the cause of death as hemorrhage of the lungs.
Mr. Cawood was married January 25, 1872, to Miss Flora Hunt, who was born at Whitesville, Missouri, in 1854, a daughter of Orlando and Lettis (Poppliwell) Hunt. Mr. Hunt was born in Ohio and as a young man accompanied his parents to Missouri, the remainder of his life being passed on a farm in Gentry County, where he died in 1901, at Cawood there were born ten children, namely: Franklin O., of Hull, Iowa; C. Alice, of Ravenswood, Missouri; Ovid L., who lives at Cawood, Missouri; Annie, who is the wife of William House, of Cawood. Missouri; Albia C., who is the wife of Thomas House, of Cawood. Missouri: Minnie, who lives at home; Myrtle, who is the wife of V. C. Taylor, and lives with her mother, Myrtle and Minnie being twins; Clara, who is the wife of J. D. Hannah, of Cawood, Missouri; and twin sons, who died in infancy.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1577-1578; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Rev. William A. Chapman. A resident of Rosendale, Andrew County, Missouri was born in 1819, and was left an orphan when still a lad. As a young man he went to West Virginia, where he was married the first time, and had one daughter. His wife subsequently died and he returned to Ohio and married Margaret Spry, who was born in Knox County, that state, in 1821. In 1851 Mr. and Mrs. Chapman started for Missouri, locating in Holt County, but three years later moved to Brownsville, Nebraska, where Mr. Chapman assisted in the building of the first house. In 1859 he went to Texas, but in the following year returned to Nebraska, and a later trip was made in 1873, this extending until 1876. At that time the parents again came to Missouri, settling first in Nodaway County, and there the father passed away in 1880. The mother died at Savannah, at the home of her son, Judge J. H. Chapman, in 1904. In his younger life. Mr. Chapman was engaged in steam boating on the Ohio River, but after coming West devoted his entire attention to agricultural pursuits, in which he met with well-deserved success. He was a man of high principles and sterling citizenship, and- was esteemed and respected among a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. There were four children born to Benjamin and Margaret Chapman, as follows: Rev. William A., of this notice; Mary E., who is the wife of T. J. Sonedley, of Monet, Missouri; Rebecca L., the wife of Josephus Edwards, of Anglin, Washington, and Judge J. H., a resident of Savannah.
From the time he was four years of age until he reached the age of twenty-three years, William A. Chapman resided on his father's farm in Nemaha County, Nebraska. While being reared to agricultural duties, he attended the district schools of that locality, as well as the State Normal School, at Peru. At the age of twenty years he entered upon a career as an educator, and for the next twenty years engaged in teaching, becoming widely and favorably known as an educator.
Mr. Chapman was twenty-three years of age, in 1873, when he was married to Armilda T. Tharp, who was born in Jasper County, Iowa, February 25, 1854, and who at the age of eighteen years was taken to Nebraska by her parents, C. C. and Emmeline (Wolf) Tharp, natives of Indiana, the former of whom died in Nebraska at the age of eighty-four years, while the latter was sixty-nine years of age at the time of her death. They had spent their lives in the pursuits of the soil, and were known as honest, hard-working and God-fearing people. Three weeks after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Chapman went to Blanco County, Texas, and later removed to Bell County, in the same state, but in 1876 returned to Nebraska, in 1878 came to Missouri and settled in Nodaway County, and in 1885 located at Rosendale, Andrew County, where he continued to be engaged as a school teacher until 1890.
In 1877 Doctor Chapman had preached his first sermon in the old home schoolhouse in Nebraska, and he continued to preach intermittently until 1890, when he gave up school teaching to devote his undivided time to and concentrate his energies upon the work of the ministry of the Christian Church. The first church he served was Fairview Christian Church, two and one-half miles south of Rosendale, and there he has spent the greater part of his time.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1758-1759; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Oren Heth Clark. During the nine years that he has been connected with the circuit court clerk's office, Oren Heth Clark has established an excellent record for faithful public service, a record that has commended him to the people of Andrew County whose interests he has served so long and so well. Entering the office in the capacity of assistant, after four years of capable work, he was elected circuit court clerk, and since that time he has continued to vindicate the faith placed in his integrity and his ability.
Mr. Clark is a native of Andrew County, having been born at Flag Springs, June 2, 1879, a son of Logan A. and Ellen Elizabeth (Clark). They were married by Capt. J. B. Majors, in this county, March 30, 1878, prior to which time Mrs. Clark had been engaged in teaching school in the vicinity of Flag Springs. They were faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics Mr. Clark was a republican. There were three children in the family: Oren Heth, of this review; Herbert Alonzo, a resident of Fort Collins, Colorado; and Ormie Wilson, of St. Joseph, Missouri.
Oren Heth Clark was but fourteen years of age when he lost his parents, and at that time went to make his home with his uncle, John A. Clark, at Bolckow, Andrew County. He was given a common school education, and during his vacation periods displayed his industry and ambition by working in his uncle's sawmill, and his time continued to be thus occupied until he reached his majority. In 1900 he entered upon his career as a teacher in the district schools of Andrew County, and continued as an educator for years, making a record as an efficient and popular teacher. On January 1, 1906, Mr. Clark was appointed deputy circuit court clerk of Andrew County, under E. E. Townsend, and his services in this capacity were so appreciated during the next four years that in 1910 he became the candidate of the Democratic Party for the office of circuit clerk, and was elected. In 1914 he was again the candidate of his party for circuit clerk and was re-elected and is the present incumbent of that office.
On January 20, 1909, Mr. Clark was married to Miss May Louise Kelly, a native of Andrew County, and the eldest child of B. F. and Rosa (Schneider) Kelly. They have no children. Mrs. Clark is a graduate of Savannah High School, and attended Stephens College one term, taking a musical course. She and her husband are members of the First Baptist Church, in which Air. Clark is a deacon, and is also actively interested in the work of the Sunday school, of which he is superintendent. His fraternal connections are with the local lodges of the Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in both of which he has numerous friends.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1651-1652; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Samuel Coffman. Many people of Andrew County will recall this venerable citizen, who was one of the real pioneers of Northwest Missouri, became a settler on government land in Andrew County more than three-quarters of a century ago, and lived there until his death on September 27, 1897, when in his eightieth year. His descendants are numerously represented in this state and elsewhere, and for his own children he not only made ample provision during their childhood and youth, but left to them the heritage of an honored name.
Samuel Coffman was born near Frankfort, Kentucky, April 21, 1818, when James Madison was President of the United States. When he was an infant his father died, and his widowed mother brought him to Missouri in 1822, locating in Clinton County, which was then a wilderness. Missouri had been admitted as a state only about a year, and out on the frontier he spent his boyhood and received such instruction as could be obtained at home and in the primitive schools.
In 1837 Samuel Coffman came to Andrew County, and soon afterward entered in the United States Land Office a quarter section of land in section 27 of Nodaway Township. That has for nearly three generations been known as the Coffman Farm, and is still occupied by one of his sons, Pleasant Coffman. To the first quarter section he afterwards added 160 acres more, and at the time of his death still owned 320 acres. In Andrew County his life was passed in the quiet vocation of farming, and there were few men who worked with steadier industry and accomplished more in clearing away the wilderness than this well remembered citizen. With his own hands by continuous labor, day after day he cleared up most of his own farm and placed it under cultivation. In politics he was always affiliated with the Democratic Party, and was an active member in the Christian Church.
Mr. Coffman married for his second wife Elizabeth Richards. She became the mother of eight children, mentioned briefly as follows:
Newton of Andrew County;
John of Oklahoma; Sigel of Oregon;
George of Wisconsin;
Susan, Alice and Dora, all of whom married brothers named Davidson, and the two first are now deceased;
Lucy J., the eighth child, died in infancy.
In 1872 Mr. Samuel Coffman married Mrs. Christina (Nix) Turner. She was born in Whitley County, Kentucky, March 5, 1850, and when two years of age came to Andrew County with her parents, John and Mary (Raines) Nix, who were natives of Kentucky and spent their last days in Missouri. Mrs. Coffman by her marriage to Silas Turner had two children, who are Bell Holland of Savannah and Lucinda Rhoads of the same place. Mrs. Coffman has three children by her marriage to Samuel Coffman: Martha Holland of Helena, Missouri; Bertha Ferguson, deceased; and Pleasant. Mrs. Coffman is still living, and has the unusual distinction of having twenty-four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Pleasant Coffman was born on his father's farm in Nodaway Township January 23, 1878, and grew up and has lived here with his mother since his father's death. He operates 166 acres of the old homestead, and owns a part of this farm. It is well known throughout Andrew County as the Old Homestead Farm, and most of the land has been in continuous ownership under one name for more than three-quarters of a century. Pleasant Coffman has been very successful and has a reputation in this part of Missouri as a breeder of saddle and draft horses and mules. Politically he is a republican, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic Order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1703-1704; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Leonidas W. Craig. A resident of Andrew County for more than forty years, Leonidas W. Craig has during this time been engaged in farming pursuits, and is now the owner of Grass Hills Stock Farm, a magnificent tract of 653 ½  acres, located in section 7, Platte Township. Mr. Craig is a practical and progressive farmer and stockraiser, and has gained his present substantial position by the exercise of native ability and tireless industry, but at the same time, while gaining a personal competence, has contributed to the general welfare and advancement of his community. Mr. Craig is a Kentuckian, born at Ghent, Carroll County, January 13, 1850, a son of Walton and Lorinda (Peak) Craig.
Walton Craig was born at Ghent, Kentucky, in 1803, and as a lad was engaged in agricultural pursuits and continued to be interested in farming throughout his life, but also gave some attention to mercantile pursuits, and for a number of years was the proprietor of a store at Ghent. In 1856 he made a trip to Andrew County, preempting a farm in Platte Township, but soon returned to his native state, and there continued to make his home until his death, in 1886. Mr. Craig was a democrat in his political views, and his religious faith was that of the Baptist Church. He married Miss Lorinda Peak, who was born in Scott County, Kentucky, in 1809, and she died in 1869, having been the mother of seven children, as follows: Evelina Peak, deceased, who was the wife of the late James S. Frank; Bettie, deceased, who was the wife of the late James M. Fisher; Dudley Peak, a resident of Vevay, Indiana; Walton, a resident of Canton, Ohio; Albert G., who is deceased; Benjamin, a resident of Oklahoma; and Leonidas W.
Leonidas W. Craig received his education in the public schools of Ghent, Kentucky, and grew up as a farmer's boy, remaining on the homestead until 1874, in which year he came to Bolckow, Missouri, and settled on the farm which his father had preempted some eighteen years before. To the original property he has since added greatly, and at this time is the owner of 653 ½ acres, known as Grass Hills Stock Farm, one of the valuable and handsome tracts of Andrew County.
Mr. Craig is a practical farmer, fully abreast of all modern methods and inventions, and carries on his operations in a progressive manner. Practically all the improvements made on the property have come under his supervision, and the substantial buildings, well-kept fields and prosperous appearance of the entire farm indicate that good management and thrift are not lacking. For many years Mr. Craig has been engaged in raising thoroughbred cattle, horses and hogs, for which he secures topnotch prices in the markets. He has a number of business connections aside from his farming operations, and at this time is a director of the Union State Bank of Bolckow, a position which he has held from the time of this institution's organization.
Mr. Craig is a democrat in politics, but has strong temperance tendencies, and, other things being equal, is liable to give his vote to the candidate who has prohibition views. He is a member of the Baptist Church at Bolckow, in which he is serving as deacon.
Mr. Craig was married December 21,1876, to Miss Mary Talbott, who was born in Minnesota, November 2, 1857, and who came to Missouri at the age of four years with her parents, R. H. and Elizabeth (Evans) Talbott, natives of Pennsylvania, who died at Baxter Springs, Kansas. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Craig, namely: Walton W., a resident of Bolckow; Frank J., a resident of Clay Township, Andrew County; Mary Elizabeth, who resides with her parents; Ulie P., who is engaged in cultivating a part of his father's farm; and Jane W. and Lorinda, who live with their parents.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1776-1777; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Henry A. Crawford. What Henry A. Crawford has accomplished in acquiring a home and building up substantial prosperity as a farmer may well prove a stimulus and incentive to others. He is an Indiana man who a little more than thirty years ago found himself possessed of a family but no capital and with restricted opportunities for getting ahead in the world. He accordingly determined to come out to Northwest Missouri. He had to borrow money to ship his household effects, and arrived in Andrew county with no special credentials except a willingness to work and an ambition which has steadily propelled him forward to better things. His first attempt at getting a home of his own was the buying of half an interest in four acres, with two years to pay for it at ten per cent interest, then a prevailing and not unusual rate for the use of money, but before the note was due he bought out his partner. By thrift, hard work and close economy he managed to pay for the four acres, and by repeating the same process bought two acres, later buying another four acres. He has never been afraid to assume liability, having the courage and the self-reliance necessary to meet obligations as they fall due.
After getting ten acres he bought another tract of land of twenty-five acres nearby, and then followed that with the purchase of eight acres. He next bought 9 ½  acres, and then bought fifteen acres. His transactions included at that time 67 ½  acres and he later bought 100 acres, and after selling sixty acres two years ago he still has a farm of 107 ½  acres, all paid for with a surplus in the bank, and with a credit carefully maintained that entitles him to the trust and confidence of every business man in Andrew County. Mr. Crawford spent a number of years in the heavy task of clearing up brush land, since practically all his acreage when he secured it was raw land and had to be cleared before it could be cultivated. His first home was a small box house unplastered, and hardly worth $25. Mr. Crawford is a mechanic, having built all of his buildings, which are modern. He now owns a fine home with all the conveniences of good living, has provided liberally for his family, has at different times been a factor in community enterprise, and has also helped several of his relatives to get started in the same section of Missouri.
Henry A. Crawford was born in Jefferson County, Indiana, May 8, 1860, a son of John R. and Joeta (Cox) Crawford. His father was born in Thomastown, Maine, April 2,1832, and his mother was born in Gallatin County, Kentucky, February 26, 1838. His father grew up in Maine and Massachusetts, and was married in Frankfort, Kentucky, April 20, 1854. From Kentucky they removed to Indiana, and spent the rest of their lives there on a farm. John R. Crawford served three years in the Civil war, having enlisted in the Sixth Indiana Infantry, and after his term of service was over he reentered the service as a veteran. He lived to a good age and died in January, 1901, while his wife passed' away in February, 1889. They were the parents of six sons: Adalbert, of Platte Township; James S., of Parnell, Missouri; Henry A., of Platte Township; George A., who was born September 3, 1865, and died at the age of ten years; Samuel, of Columbus, Indiana; and Edward, who died at the age of five years.
Henry A. Crawford grew up on the Indiana farm, received the training of a country boy, and in country schools, and lived there until 1882. He was the first of his family to come to Andrew County, Missouri, and has been at his present, location in Platte Township since 1883. His farm is one of exceptional improvements, and is well deserving the title of West Lawn Farm. It is noted as a breeding farm for Poland China hogs, though Mr. Crawford is also a general grain raiser and stock farmer.
In affairs outside his home place, he has taken an interest in several business enterprises. For the past nine years he has been on the board of directors of the Andrew County Mutual Fire, Lightning and Tornado Insurance Company, and for several years served as a director of the Andrew County Mutual Telephone Company. For nine years he was a member of the local school board. Politically he gives his support to the republican party.
February 7, 1877, Mr. Crawford married Amelia Jane Bivens, who was born in Jefferson County, Indiana, October 11, 1859, and grew up and was married there. Her parents were James and Lydia Bivens. Mr. and Mrs. Crawford have a fine family of children, there having been eight births, the three first in Indiana and the others in Andrew County. Edward M., the oldest, is a farmer in Platte Township, and by his marriage to Lulu Beatie has three children; John 0., who was born October 3,1880, was murdered in Lewistown, Montana, November 8,1913, leaving a widow and two children by his first wife; Frank A., a resident of Minneapolis, married Minnie Bryant and has one child; Orpha is the wife of George Silvers of Platte Township, and has three children; Archie B. married Lillie Beattie, and has one child by a former marriage; Goldie M. is the wife of Earnest Deal of Platte Township, and has one child; Elsie died in infancy; and Freeman, the youngest, lives at home.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1882-1883; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Homer Crockett. A representative of that class who have been most efficient in bringing prosperity and in creating the modern twentieth century conditions in Northwest Missouri, Homer Crockett has spent his active career as a farmer, merchant and horseman, his chief reputation outside the county being due to the successful enterprise which he conducts in partnership with his brother Nathan W. in the breeding and raising of thoroughbred imported horses, jacks, jennets and mules. In Platte Township of Andrew County is a community where the name Crockett has been synonymous with enterprise and successful ability since the early days. In section 14, in the same neighborhood as are located other Crockett farms, is the home place of Homer Crockett.
Homer Crockett is the second of five children born to Milton and Sarah (West) Crockett, who came out to Northwest Missouri in 1857 and were among the early settlers of Andrew County. Milton Crockett was a fine character among the older settlers, and the chief facts in his life and his lineage will be found in the sketch of Le Roy Crockett. Homer Crockett was born in Seneca County, Ohio, August 2, 1855, and has spent most of his life in Andrew County. During the war his parents returned to Ohio, where his father enlisted and served in the Union army.
Homer Crockett lived on the old home farm until his marriage, and has since been actively identified with farming with the exception of four years during the '80s when he and his brother Wallace A. were in partnership in merchandising at Whitesville. Homer Crockett occupies a farm of 120 acres, and owns another eighty acres nearby, also 320 acres in Hartley County, Texas. The home farm is the old Rodkey Place, formerly owned by Mrs. Crockett's father. Since 1890 Mr. Crockett and his brother Nathan have been engaged jointly in the business of breeding Percheron horses, jacks and jennets, also high grade Tennessee and Kentucky stock. Their enterprise has brought them a considerable reputation, and their animals have been exhibited as prize winners in a number of shows and fairs. Homer Crockett has been a stockholder in the Farmers Bank of Whitesville since its organization. He is known all over this community as a capable man of affairs and an alert and public spirited citizen, and a hard worker in any cause which he enlists. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Walnut Grove, in which he is a trustee, and in politics is a republican.
On September 1, 1878, Homer Crockett married Jennie Rodkey, who was born in Carroll County, Indiana July 17, 1855. and came with her parents Mr. and Mrs. Rodkey. Her father a native of Pennsylvania and her mother near Dayton, Ohio. They were married in Ohio, from there moving to Carroll County, Indiana, and her father came to Andrew County in 1865 and brought his family in the following spring. Mrs. Crockett's mother died in 1879, at the age of fifty-eight, and her father in 1883, at the age of sixty-two. Mr. Rodkey was a carpenter by trade, an occupation he followed for a number of years, but later engaged successfully in farming. He also conducted a nursery, and supplied the young trees for a large number of the early orchards in Andrew County. The five children in the Rodkey family were: Lodiska, widow of J. A. Williams, of Kokomo, Indiana, and she now resides in Bolckow, Missouri; Newton, deceased; Wirt, deceased; Mrs. Crockett; and Esther, wife of Lyman Stingley, of King City. Mr. and Mrs. Stingley formerly owned a 160 acre farm in this neighborhood, just east of the Homer Crockett place, and he was a successful farmer and stock raiser, handling a good many fine mules. In January, 1913, however, he sold his farm and moved to King City, where he is now living retired.
Mr. and Mrs. Crockett have three children: Maggie, the wife of C. O. Townsend, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, and they have one child, Gladys; the second child, a son, died in infancy; Lena is the wife of Ewing D. Clark, of Omaha, Nebraska, and has one son, Edwin D. Mrs. Clark graduated from the Savannah high school and was one of Andrew County's successful school teachers. She attended the Maclean School of Expression and Dramatic Art in Chicago, Illinois, in 1912, and she has won high honors for her ability. She was awarded the silver medal at the W. C. T. U. contest, and she afterward won the gold medal at the contest held at Albany, Missouri. Mrs. Crockett takes much interest and is an active worker in the Walnut Grove Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been president of the Ladies Aid Society since its organization.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1940-1941; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Le Roy Crockett. On section 14 of Platte Township, Andrew County, is the home of Le Roy Crockett, known among farmers and stock men in this section of Northwest Missouri as the Prairie View Stock Farm. Four or five hundred acres of some of the finest land to be found in Andrew County are the basis of Mr. Crockett's industry as a farmer and stock man, and by his success he stands in the very front rank of his condition of the fields and the fences is one of the features which at once commend this, farm to the casual observer. The Crockett family has been identified with Andrew County since early times, and the success of the earlier generation has been greatly increased by Mr. Le Roy Crockett.
The founders of this branch of the family in Andrew County were twin brothers, Milton and Nelson Crockett, of whom the former was the father of Le Roy Crockett. Milton Crockett was born near Tiffin, Seneca County, Ohio, January 11, 1825, a son of Asa and Miriam (Keating) Crockett. His father was born in Thomaston, Lincoln County, Maine, in 1790, and was of Scotch-English descent. He was a sailor in early life, but at the age of twenty-six settled in Ohio and engaged in business as a farmer. His wife was born at Ashpoint, Maine, in 1800, and had eight sons and four daughters. Milton Crockett was reared on a farm, had a common school education, and as a young man taught school several terms in the winter while employed on a farm in the summer. This was his vocation for about twelve years. His twin brother Nelson had a similar training, and in 1857 they both left Ohio and came out to Andrew County, Missouri, where Milton Crockett secured the land which is now a part of the estate of the Prairie View Stock Farm. During the Civil war both brothers returned to Ohio and enlisted in the. Union army, Nelson enlisting September 28, 1861, in Company A, of the Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he was commissioned second lieutenant, and served until a wound in the second battle of Bull Run caused him to resign, while Milton enlisted August 2, 1862, in the same company and regiment, and continued in service until mustered out and given an honorable discharge on June 30, 1865. He fought at the battles of Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Nashville, Tennessee, and for nearly three years was one of the faithful soldiers who upheld the integrity of the Union. Milton Crockett was married March 22, 1849, to Sarah E. West, a daughter of Ezra and Prudence (Culver) West.
She was born near Arlington, Vermont, April 27, 1830. Milton Crockett and wife became the parents of five sons and one daughter: Wallace A., Ezra, Homer, Emeily M., Nathan N. and Le Roy. Milton Crockett was a man of prominence and influence in Andrew County, and in 1870 was elected as the liberal candidate for county representative, and served in the Legislature one term.
Le Roy Crockett was born on the farm that he now occupies, in Platte Township, June 24, 1869, and has never known any other permanent home. His education came from the local schools, and at the age of twenty-one he accepted an offer to become a partner with his father in conducting the farm, and from that time forward took the complete management of it. His father for a number of years had been very successful as a dairyman, running from fifty to seventy cows. It will be appropriate to recall an event which is well remembered by the older settlers in Andrew County and gave a new direction to the Crockett farm activities.
On Sunday afternoon, May 13, 1883, a cyclone struck over this section of Missouri and almost completely destroyed all the improvements on the Crockett farm, blowing down nearly every tree and all the buildings and fences. The house was also crushed down, but the six members of the family in it were not seriously injured as a result of this disaster.
Mr. Crockett has had his farm registered under the name of the Prairie View Stock Farm, thus giving it a title by which it is becoming increasingly known, with a special reputation for its horses and mules. Mr. Crockett for a number of years has made a feature of the raising and shipping of this stock, and each year sells about twenty mules from his barn. He also keeps cattle and horses, and feeds every bushel of the grain raised in his fields, and buys large quantities for his stock besides. Since he acquired possession Mr. Crockett has remodeled the home, and has built new barns and silos, and has introduced such improvements as to make the Crockett home one measuring up to the best standards of comforts and conveniences found in the larger cities. Among other things he has introduced a water system, heating plant, and lights the house with an acetylene gas plant. It is a splendidly situated home, with well kept grounds, and is really one of the model rural places of Andrew County.
Mr. Crockett is a republican in politics and with his family worships in the Methodist Church at Empire Prairie. On October 15, 1890, he married Kate Bradford, who was born at Whitesville, in Andrew County, August 21, 1869, a daughter of Duffield and Caroline (Worth) Bradford. The Bradford family in this branch is one of the oldest in American history. Duffield Bradford was born in Ohio, August 9, 1819, and his wife in Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania, and at the age of twelve years went out to Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Bradford were married at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, in 1864, and in 1865 located in Andrew County, where Mr. Bradford died at Whitesville in 1871, and his widow survived until April 24, 1909, at the age of seventy-five. Mrs. Crockett's family lineage is one that would do credit to any printed page. The Bradford’s are not only among the oldest and most numerous in America, but have furnished many illustrious men to the nation, and have done their share in the upbuilding of the country as soldiers, patriots, business men and citizens. The family originated in Austerfield, England, where the first ancestry concerning whom information is available was William Bradford, and also his son William Bradford, both of whom lived in England during the sixteenth century.
The second William Bradford was burned at the stake by order of Queen Mary. The third in line was Governor William Bradford, whose name is familiar to every reader of United States history. He was born at Austerfield, England, in 1588, at the age of nineteen was arrested and imprisoned on account of his religious beliefs, emigrated with many other non-conformists to Holland, was married there, and in 1620 made the famous voyage with other pilgrims in the Mayflower. For many years he was governor of Plymouth Colony, and his grave can now be seen in the old churchyard at Plymouth, Massachusetts. In his declining years his son, Maj. William Bradford, served as lieutenant governor and bore the chief responsibilities of the office. Maj. William Bradford was born at Plymouth, June 17, 1624. His son, Maj. John Bradford, was born February 20, 1653 and lived at Kingston, Massachusetts. Major John had several sons and daughters, and two of the sons, Joshua and Elijah, moved to the State of Maine. It is not accurately known whether Joshua or Elijah was the father of Joseph Bradford, who continues the line of descent. Joseph Bradford was the father of Moses Bradford, who was born in Maine in 1776, and in 1800 moved out to Ohio, which was then the Northwest Territory. Moses married Anna Ward and was the father of several sons and daughters.
Was wounded once or twice, and afterwards married and reared a family. Mrs. Crockett is the only child living of the five born to her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Crockett have five children: Elbert M., who lives on part of the home farm and married Hazel Thompson; Eunice C, wife of Frank W. Edwards of Empire Township, Andrew County; Mabel Clementine; George D.; and Stanley B., all living at home.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1818-1821; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


N. W. Crockett. The Spring Hill Farm in section 13 of Platte Township, Andrew County, has as its owner one of the foremost agriculturists and stockmen of this section, a man who has spent all his life in this one community, is a farmer by training and inclination, and has made himself a progressive factor in those affairs and activities which lie outside the immediate limits of an individual farm. Mr. Crockett has been known in this section of Andrew County as a banker, and as a stock exhibitor his name is familiar among stockmen over several states.
Nathan W. Crockett was born on the old homestead farm in Platte Township, November 19, 1860, a son of that splendid old pioneer, Milton Crockett. On other pages of this publication will be found the essential facts in the career of the late Milton Crockett and his family.
Nathan W. Crockett has always lived in Platte Township, grew up on the home place, and remained at home until two years after his marriage. He then came to his present farm, and is the owner of forty acres included in his father's estate. His Spring Hill farm, which takes its name from the presence of several springs of living water on the land, comprises 285 acres, and owing to the general lay of the land is unusually well adapted for stock raising. Mr. Crockett for a number of years has featured the thoroughbred Hereford cattle, the registered Percheron horses, keeps a stable with some imported jacks and jennets, raises mules and Chester White hogs. This has been his business for the past thirty years, and his reputation as a stock breeder and farmer is not confined to the limits of his home county. His jacks, jennets and horses have been frequently exhibited at the Des Moines State Fair and in the stock shows at St. Joseph and Sedalia, and his horses always won premiums. Mr. Crockett has been one of the directors of the Whitesville Interstate Corn and Poultry Association since the organization of that now famous institution. For a number of years he was also a director and president of the Rea Banking Company. To his farm management he has brought the same degree of enterprise and good judgment which would have enabled him to make a success in commercial lines, and has a property that in value and improvements favorably compares with any country place in Andrew County. Mr. Crockett began his career on 120 acres, which he bought at twenty-five dollars an acre, and it is now worth at an average $150 an acre. In politics Mr. Crockett is a republican.
In 1882 he married Emma Ewing, who was born at Whitesville, in Andrew County, May 30, 1861. When she was three years old her parents moved to Kentucky, but returned to Missouri when she was nine years of age, and she grew up in this county. Her parents were Daniel and Lou Ann (Riley) Ewing. Her father was born in Kentucky, May 12, 1825, and her mother in Clinton County, Missouri, August 1, 1837, representing one of the pioneer families in that section of Northwest Missouri. Her mother is now living at a venerable age in Saline County, Missouri. Her father, who died in 1864 while temporarily in Illinois, was a miller all his active career, and had a financial interest in and was the manager of the old mill at Whitesville at the time of his death. Mrs. Crockett was one of three children, the other two being John, now deceased, and Lizzie, also deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Crockett have no children.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1857-1858; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.