Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Biographies

" G "

David Gebhart. During the forty-five years of his residence in Andrew County, David Gebhart has lived from early manhood to mature age and has acquired those things most appreciated by a man of industry and ambition. He has a fine farm in Platte Township, which represents his diligence and good business judgment, has provided liberally for home and family, and has gained the esteem of all citizens in that locality for his uprightness and solid work.
David Gebhart is a native of Indiana, born in Henry County, on Christmas Day of 1851. His parents were George and Mary (Baker) Gebhart, both natives of Pennsylvania, where they were married. They removed to Indiana during the '40s and spent the rest of their lives there. The mother died when David was two years old and the father lived to be nearly eighty-two years of age, passing away in 1903. George Gebhart, who was of German ancestry, was a shoemaker by trade while living in Pennsylvania and followed the old-time custom of making boots and shoes to order, and traveling first from one home to the next, doing all the cobbling required by one family before passing on to the next place in his itinerary. After removing to Indiana he took up a farm in the midst of the timber and cleared it up and followed farming for the most part. He and his wife were members of the United Brethren Church. There were five sons and one daughter: John B., who died at Hagerstown, Indiana, in 1906; Josiah, who died in Andrew County, Missouri, in 1912; Elizabeth Covalt, who died in Henry County, Indiana, in 1911; George W., now living in California, who served four years in the Thirty-sixth Regiment of the Indiana Infantry during the Civil war, having been chiefly under the command of General Rosecrans, and Isaiah, who a number of years ago took up a homestead near Wichita, Kansas, and still lives there.
David Gebhart grew up in Indiana, received his education in the public schools of Henry County, and in the spring of 1870, when about nineteen years old, came to Andrew County, Missouri. Since then his best energies have been devoted to farming and stock raising. He is the owner of 160 acres in section 10 of Platte Township, located partly in the bottoms of the Platte River. This land he operates through a tenant.
His home place, comprising forty-two acres, adjoins the little Village of Whitesville on the south and is located in section 27. The house stands on an elevation which is the highest point of land in this vicinity. Many people in this part of the state associate this farm with the name Jersey Stock Farm. Until he sold out about two years ago Mr. Gebhart was a successful raiser of high grade Jersey cattle, and kept a herd of about twenty-five head.
Politically Mr. Gebhart acts with the republican party, is a member of the Baptist Church and has fraternal affiliations with the Masonic Order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
On January 2, 1876, he married Emily M. Crockett, who was born in Andrew County, Missouri, October 1, 1857. Her parents are Milton and Sarah E. (West) Crockett. Some of the chief facts in this family's history will be found on other pages of this work.
Mr. and Mrs. Gebhart have two children: Oliver C., who was born January 14, 1879, was educated for the profession of medicine at St. Louis, and is now a well-known practicing physician in St. Joseph, being a specialist in tuberculosis cases. The son, Ezra, born February 25, 1887, is also a resident of St. Joseph, and by his marriage to Nell Howitt has one child, Helen, born February 10, 1912.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1827-1828; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Edward R. Gibbins. A companion of the wilderness of Andrew County and a sharer in the prosperity unfolded by the zeal and enterprise of its tireless workers, Edward R. Gibbins, of Jefferson Township, has been a witness to and a participant in the wonderful changes which have transformed this part of Northwest Missouri from an unproductive, valueless waste into one of the most fertile and valuable sections of the country. A resident of this county and township for more than seventy years, no one has better maintained the personal honor and public spirited characteristics of the best class of pioneers, or more forcibly and persistently projected the usefulness of his family into a later and more progressive period than has this highly esteemed agriculturist of section 35.
Edward R. Gibbins was born in Washington County, Kentucky, March 10, 1842, and is a son of Edward R. and Sarah (Noel) Gibbins, natives of the Blue Grass State, the former born June 19, 1805, and the latter June 13, 1811. The grandfather was William Gibbins, probably a native of Kentucky, who was the son of an emigrant from Scotland. In the year 1843 the parents of Mr. Gibbins came direct to Andrew County with their eight children and located on a farm one and one quarter miles south of the present home of Edward R. Gibbins. There they secured a quarter section of land from the United States Government and continued to make it their home until 1865, when they sold out and moved to Illinois. Three years later they disposed of their Illinois property and went to Boone County, Missouri, and the father spent his last years with his son, Rev. Beeler Gibbins, in Harvey County, Kansas, at whose home he died at the age of ninety years. The mother had died in 1843 soon after the family came to Andrew County, and the father was later married to Mary Van Schoiack, who also died in Kansas. Edward R. and Sarah Gibbins had a family of eight children, as follows: Mary, who married Sam Miller, went to Oregon in 1852 and there died; William, a preacher, who crossed the plains in 1852 and died in Washington; Rebecca Ann, who married Sebastian Nordyke and died in 1881 in Andrew County; James Noel, a resident of Highland, Kansas; Samuel David, a resident of Oregon; George Washington, who makes his home with Edward R.; Thomas Houston, who resides in Montana; and Edward R., of this review. To the union of Edward R. and Mary (Van Schoiack) Gibbins there were born four children: Martin, a resident of Audrain County, Missouri; John, a Methodist circuit rider who died in Boone County, Missouri; B. Levi, who lives in Oklahoma; and Beeler, a missionary Baptist preacher, whose home is in Harvey County, Kansas.
Edward R. Gibbins was a child of one year when brought by his parents to Andrew County, and here his education was secured in the primitive district schools. He grew up on the home farm and has always lived in this community, his activities being devoted to general farming and the raising of stock. His present home property is a nicely cultivated tract of sixty acres, and here he is spending the evening of life surrounded by the comforts and ease which his many years of labor have brought. He has seen the changes that have occurred since he cut many acres of grain with the primitive implements of the pioneers, plowed his land with an ox team and used the same ox team in going to church on Sundays. His life has been a very full and satisfying one, and through it all he has retained the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens. A democrat in his political views, Mr. Gibbins has served his community as justice of the peace for thirty-two years, and in 1914 was the candidate of his party for representative to the Legislature. He is a consistent member of the Baptist Church, and has served for many years as deacon.
In 1863 Mr. Gibbins was married to Miss Elizabeth Ridgeway, who was born in Calloway County, Missouri, February 10, 1843, a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Stephens) Ridgeway, natives of Kentucky and pioneers of Missouri. They were the parents of six children: Sarah, who died at the age of five years; John William, deceased; Martha Ellen Armstrong, deceased; Nicholas, deceased; Thomas, deceased; and Elizabeth, Mrs. Gibbins. Mrs. Gibbins lost her mother when she was an infant, and her father died when she was five years of age. In 1849 she was brought to Buchanan County, Missouri, and was here reared and educated in the family of her mother's sister and the latter's husband, John K. and Mary Ellen (Stephens) Johnson. Mr. Gibbins has reared a remarkable family, and one of which any man might well feel proud. Seventeen children were born to him and Mrs. Gibbins, there being four sets of twins, and of these children five are deceased: Mary Ellen and Martha Ellen, twins, who died aged five and eleven months, respectively; Elisha, a twin of Elijah, died at six months; Nicholas died at the age of two and one-half years; and Elizabeth died at the age of three months. The other children are as follows: John Thomas, a farmer of Jefferson Township; Rebecca Ann, who resides with her parents; Ida Jane; Charles Edward, a resident of DeKalb County, Missouri; Samuel David and Roger Lee, twins, both residing in Andrew County; Sebastian Ellis, of this county; William Arthur, who also lives in Andrew County; Elijah, of DeKalb County, Missouri; Alice Belle and Sarah, twins, the former of whom is the wife of Sam Redman, of Andrew County, and the latter of whom resides with her parents; and Nancy Elizabeth, who also resides at home. Mr. Gibbins' eldest son's son, John Edward, has a daughter, Ethel Marie, Mr. Gibbins' only great-grandchild. All the children who are married own their own homes. The children were carefully reared, well educated and thoroughly fitted to become good citizens, and to honor the name which they bear, as well as to lend dignity to the positions in life which they have been called upon to fill.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1712-1713; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


James Gibson. Scotch persistence, thrift and industry, qualities which he brought over from the old country have enabled James Gibson to accomplish more than the average man who starts life with only a pair of willing hands and a heart courageous for any fate. Mr. Gibson is now one of the large land owners in Platte Township of Andrew County has a large family of boys and girls, and most of them are married and occupying homes of their own which he gave them. Forty years ago James Gibson came to Andrew County with a wife and an infant child six months old. He had very little money, but most men at the present time would consider it hardly enough for running expenses. What he has accomplished since then is a remarkable testimonial to his diligence and general business ability.
James Gibson was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, June 4, 1849, a son of Alex and Jane (Howitt) Gibson. Both parents were born in the same county, and spent their lives there, chiefly on a farm. Their nine children were: Jane Miller, deceased; David, who lives in Kansas; William, who died in Scotland; James; John, who lives in Scotland; Mary Jimeson of Scotland; Alex, of Scotland ; Peter, who died in childhood; Agnes, who died in girlhood; and one that died in infancy.
James Gibson received an education in the old country, and earned his support while working as a farmhand until 1869. He gave his people half his wages, but by careful economy managed to save £9, and with this sum started for the United States. Large numbers of Ayrshire people had settled in the State of Wisconsin, and that was his destination. When he arrived at Milwaukee he had 25 cents in his pockets, and though an exceedingly homesick boy lost no time in securing work as a farmhand and going ahead until he had some degree of financial independence. In 1875 Mr. Gibson came to Andrew County, and for five years rented and operated a farm, and then bought the nucleus of his present homestead. At the present time Mr. Gibson owns 640 acres, divided into seven different farms, each with a set of improvements. In his home place he operates 120 acres, and also uses forty additional acres for pasturage. His success has come from general grain and stock farming, and after acquiring his land he has kept improving it and by his own work has added much of the value which his farms now represent. While his sons were at home assisting him, he usually fed about a carload of cattle every year.
Mr. Gibson is an independent republican, and is a member of the Lower Empire Presbyterian Church, and has fraternal affiliations with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the A. H. T. A. In 1874 he married Agnes Booth. Mrs. Gibson was born January 28, 1852, in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, where they were married. Her parents were James and Elizabeth (Welch) Booth, both natives of Scotland, but married in New York, and immediately afterward came West and settled in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, securing land from the Government. The five children in the Booth family were: Robert, James, Janet, now deceased, Agnes and Elizabeth.
Mr. and Mrs. Gibson have a family of eight children. William lives in Platte Township; Ella is the wife of Myron Johnson of Platte Township; Elizabeth is the wife of Le Roy Wilkerson of Platte Township; James; Myron; Robert; Charles, who died at the age of four years; and Jennie, at home. The six oldest children are all married and each occupies a farm of eighty acres on Empire Prairie, originally a part of their father's estate. The homestead farm of Mr. and Mrs. Gibson is known as Plain View.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1826-1827; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Judge James Pleasant Gillispie. The position of James Pleasant Gillispie in Andrew County, Missouri, where he was born, where he spent his school days and early youth, where he has accumulated a sufficient property for advancing age, and where he has been honored as one of the judges of the county.
Judge Gillispie was born at Lincoln Creek in Jackson Township, Andrew County, March 16, 1858, a son of J. H. and Marion (Cornelison) Gillispie. His father was born in Madison County, Kentucky, and as a child was brought to Andrew County by his widowed mother during the 1840s. He died July 13,1895, at the age of sixty-nine, and his wife passed away January 13, 1884. J. H. Gillispie was first married to a sister of his second wife, and the one child of the first union, Andrew, is now deceased. By his second marriage there were five sons and three daughters: W. T., of Jackson Township; Susan Frances, wife of William Hoffman, of Jackson Township; Judge James P.; John M., of Jackson Township; Mary Elizabeth, deceased, who married David Roberts; Edward Lafayette, of Jackson Township; Margaret Rebecca, wife of Jesse Robinson, of Fillmore; and Benjamin B., who died in 1906. J. H. Gillispie spent most of his life on a farm in Jackson Township, where his son John now resides. During the California gold excitement he made a journey overland to California with ox team in 1849. He was a democrat, served as justice of the peace many years, was affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and belongs to the Christian Church.
Judge Gillispie has spent all his life in Andrew County, had a country school education, and the first year after his marriage worked as a renter, and then conducted a farm owned jointly with his brother, John M., for seven years. They owned 140 acres in partnership. Since that time he has been an independent farmer. Judge Gillispie now has a fine stock farm well known in Lincoln Township, situated on sections 1 and 2, comprising 186% acres. All its improvements except the residence represents his own enterprise. For about ten years Judge Gillispie did a profitable business as a breeder of Shropshire sheep, and now specializes in Poland China hogs.
He has been an active democrat since casting his first ballot back in the 70s, was a candidate for sheriff in 1900, and served as county judge from his district for one term of two years, 1902-04. He is affiliated with the Masonic order.
On September 10, 1882, Judge Gillispie married Susannah Elizabeth Bohart. Mrs. Gillispie comes of one of the wealthy and prominent old families of Andrew County and was born in this county October 29, 1862. Her parents were William and Mary (Burns) Bohart, both natives of Indiana. Her father was born in 1842 and her mother in the same year, and her father came to Missouri in 1860 and her mother in 1858. They were married in Andrew County and were prosperous farmers there. Her father died February 25, 1874, and her mother April 17, 1903. The four Bohart children were: Mrs. Gillispie; Sally, wife of N. S. Dickson, of Andrew County; Philip Emery, deceased; and Jennie, wife of J. L. Martin, of Andrew County. Judge Gillispie and wife had only one child, Carl Emery, who died in April, 1887, at the age of four years.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Mrs. Julia Glazier. In a list of the prominent citizens of any community today, mention is made of women as well as men, for whether they are actively in the business world or not, the high position of woman as a factor in civilization is being recognized as it has never been before. Of the venerable and high-minded womanhood of Andrew County, Mrs. Julia Glazier is one of the best representatives. She has lived in this community upwards of half a century and besides her service in making and maintaining a home, has been a leader in those social organizations in which women have so conspicuous a part, and which do so much real good as charitable and benevolent forces. While Mrs. Glazier has a winter home with her son in California, she feels too much attached to Savannah and her various interests there to leave the community which she has called home for so many years.
Her husband, the late George W. Glazier, who was for a number of years an active merchant in Savannah, was born in Athens County, Ohio on April 10, 1828.  His parents were John and Mary (Henry) Glazier and had continued active in business affairs until his death in July, 1873. His father had been a soldier in the Civil war, although at the time he was advanced in years. He entered as a captain of a company, and was brought home stricken with camp fever and died in 1861, a few months after the war began.
George W. Glazier was married in 1862 to Julia A. Joy. She was born on a farm in Morgan County, Ohio, in 1837, and lived there until her marriage. When they came to Savannah in 1867 they bought the homestead which has been her home now for nearly half a century, and it is one of the oldest homes and a real landmark in the county seat. Mrs. Glazier has been an active worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1869, and has been particularly prominent in the work of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society since its organization, having served as its first president. She is one of the noble women of Northwest Missouri who have given all the influence of their characters to the cause of temperance, has been a member of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union since its organization in Savannah in 1882, and was its president for a number of years. Until resigning she was for twenty years state treasurer of the W. C. T. U.
Mrs. Glazier is a daughter of James and Mary (Law) Joy, both of whom were born in Wheeling, West Virginia, but were brought to Ohio by their respective parents, and grew up on a farm and lived in Morgan County. Mrs. Glazier was one of a family of one son and eight daughters. She herself has two children: Frank O., who lives in Los Angeles, California, and Charles L., who died at Boston, Massachusetts, in 1911, being then forty-one years of age.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


C. E. Graff. Farming and stock raising naturally engage the attention of well informed, practical men in Andrew County, nature having here provided rich pasturage and fertile soil, and one who has profited by these advantages is C. E. Graff, a well known grower and dealer of Nodaway Township. He has also proven that this section is particularly well adapted to the growing of fruit and the yield of his orchards brings him a satisfactory income.
C. E. Graff was born in Clay Township, Andrew County, Missouri, September 30, 1860. His parents were Peter and Catherine (McElroy) Graff. His father was born May 26, 1825, at Bingen on the Rhine, Germany, and died on the farm now owned by his son, C. E., December 5, 1907. The mother was born in North Carolina and came to Andrew County with her people in 1848. She died on the home farm, September 12, 1884, at the age of fifty-eight years, six months and one day. They were parents of the following children: Sarah Jane, who is the widow of Walter B. Tolle, lives at Savannah; J. H., who died in April, 1914, at the age of fifty-five years; C. E.; Clara Agnes, who is the widow of William H. Heren, lives at Savannah; and William Luther, who was born in 1869, died in 1892.
Peter Graff, the father, remained in his own land until he was twenty one years of age and then came to the United States and direct to Andrew County and three years later his father followed him and together they bought a farm in Lincoln Township. On that farm Peter Graff spent a short time of his life and all the rest of it in Andrew County with the exception of about six years, during which he lived on a homestead he had taken up in Kansas.
C. E. Graff has been a lifelong resident of Andrew County, with the exception of seven years, during which time he lived in Logan County, Kansas. Parming, fruit growing and stock and cattle raising have occupied his attention ever since he has been in business and he has made them all profitable. When he started out for himself he invested in Norman horses, Shorthorn cattle and Poland China hogs, but experience taught him that for his purposes the Chester White variety of hogs was superior. He has been an extensive breeder of Percheron horses and has probably sold more high-priced horses than any other man in the county. Mr. Graff has thirty-nine acres in his home place, in the suburbs of Savannah, northwest of the town, and fifty-three acres adjoining the corporation of Savannah on the north. His residence stands on an elevation that gives an extended view of the country and at all times of the year is attractive, with a background of orchards and an evergreen grove of sixty trees. He has hundreds of trees in his orchards and they yield bountifully of cherries, peaches, apples, plums and pears, while berries of all kinds do equally well. Mr. Graff has shown excellent judgment in the laying out of his grounds and has every reason to take pride in his surroundings.
Mr. Graff was married March 3, 1887, to Miss Lucy L. Gee, who was born in Andrew County, Missouri, January 30, 1863, and is a daughter of C. C. and Elizabeth (Bayne) Gee. The mother was born in Indiana and came to Andrew County with her parents, in childhood, and died in Logan County, Kansas, June 29, 1897, at the age of fifty nine years, one month and one day.
The father of Mrs. Graff was born in Carroll County, Tennessee, February 22, 1835, and was brought to Andrew County by his parents in 1837. In 1886 he moved from this county to Kansas and now owns 480 acres in Logan County. Mr. and Mrs. Graff have no children of their own, but they are rearing James H. and Nora F. Cruse, a brother and sister, who are second cousins of Mr. Graff. He has always given his political support to the republican party, but has led too busy a life to ever entertain a desire for public office. Nevertheless he is just the type of citizen that a community often needs in public life, good judgment, sound common sense and honesty and business foresight being very desirable qualifications in those who make and those who desire a chance to carry out laws. Mr. Graff and family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1634-1635; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.