Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Biographies

" H "

Fred Hartley. For thirty-eight years Fred Hartley has been identified with the monument business, and for twelve of these has been in business for himself at Savannah, Missouri, where he is one of the representative and enterprising men in other lines and is numbered with the most useful citizens of the county seat of Andrew County. He was born in Putnam County, Indiana, May 31, 1861, and is a son of Rufus and Jennie (Beard) Hartley. Both parents were natives of Indiana and resided there until 1865 when they moved to Ringgold County, Iowa, and from there in 1872, to Worth County, Missouri, settling permanently in Andrew County, Missouri, in 1877. The father was engaged in the monument business at Savannah during the rest of his active life. His death occurred in 1907, at the age of seventy-seven years. The mother survives and lives at Savannah. They had five children: John, who is a resident of New Mexico; Charles, who is in business at St. Joseph, Missouri; Fred; Samuel, who is associated with his brother Fred at Savannah; and Minnie, for the past fifteen years a teacher in the public schools at Savannah, who is now the wife of Samuel Cline.
Fred Hartley obtained his education in the public schools and began to learn marble cutting in his father's shop in boyhood and later mastered every detail of the business. For twelve years he was superintendent for the Des Moines Marble and Mantel Company, a large concern doing business in several states, but for twelve years he has conducted his own monument works at Savannah, which city he has claimed as his home since 1877. He has large yards and employs skilled workmen, conducting his business according to his ideas of a business man's responsibility. His public spirit was manifested in the establishing here of the Globe Theater, a moving picture house and the first of its class in the place. The building was opened April 20, 1914, and he operates it himself. It is proving a very successful venture. In politics Mr. Hartley is a republican and is serving as one of the city's aldermen and is credited with looking after the interests of his own ward with the same care that he gives to his private affairs.
In 1888 Mr. Hartley was united in marriage with Miss Anna M. Smith, who is a daughter of Henry M. and Katherine Smith. Mrs. Hartley was born in Pennsylvania but was reared in Andrew County, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Hartley have one son, Harry S., who is a very talented young man and is a graduate of the class of 1913, of the Art Institute, Chicago. At present he is a popular cartoonist, working under Cartoonist Darling, on the Register and Leader, of Des Moines, Iowa. Mr. Hartley belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America and to the Knights of Pythias.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1633; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


George P. Hartman. A mile and a half west and half a mile south of the Village of Cosby, in section 10 of Monroe Township, Andrew County, is located the line dairy farm known as the Holstein Dairy Farm. Its proprietor is George P. Hartman, who has spent practically all his life in Andrew County, and of whose success as a dairyman and general farmer the best proof is in the fine establishment he has built up in the last twenty or twenty-five years. He is one of the best known citizens of Monroe Township, and likewise one of the most successful.
George P. Hartman was born half a mile west of his present farm on January 29, 1865. His family has been identified with Andrew County for more than half a century. His parents were Charles W. and Ellen Nora (Shanka) Hartman, his father a native of Indianapolis and his mother of Virginia. They were brought to Northwest Missouri when children, grew up and were married in Andrew County, and both passed away in this locality. The father died October 20, 1889, at the age of sixty-seven, and the mother was at the same age when she died on June 6, 1896. Charles W. Hartman started out with his only possession a horse, and yet long before the end of his life had acquired a property of about five hundred acres in Andrew County. He was a member of the Baptist Church and a democrat in politics. In the family were eight sons and two daughters, named as follows: Harvey, who died at the age of seventeen; John Wesley, who died in 1908; William, who died in 1899; Leander Jackson, who lives in Buchanan County; Catherine, widow of John Kelley of Monroe Township; Lucinda Jane, wife of Nathaniel Lewis of DeKalb County; James Daniel, of DeKalb County; Oscar, of Flag Springs, Andrew County; George P.; and Charles, who lives in St. Joseph.
George P. Hartman grew up in Monroe Township, received his education in the public schools, and after a training as a boy on the farm was ready for an independent career as soon as he reached his majority. Mr. Hartman owns 165 acres of land in his farm, and runs a fine dairy, his herd numbering about fifty head of high grade Holstein cattle. He has his barn equipped with all the modern facilities for dairying, and separates the cream and sells it through the Cosby Creamery to the St. Joseph market. Besides Holstein cattle he makes a specialty of Hampshire hogs, and keeps about sixty-five head. He has his farm equipped with four barns and two houses, and all these improvements have been placed there since Mr. Hartman took possession of the land.
Mr. Hartman is a democrat, and is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge at Cosby. In 1901 he married Miss Lillian Kelley. She was born in Monroe Township, Andrew County, in 1870, a daughter of Frank and Lydia Kelley of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Hartman are the parents of two children, Viola and Elsie.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pg.1877; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


David William Harvey. In the field of agriculture it has often happened that the fathers and grandfathers have secured the broad and fertile tracts of land which the sons and grandsons have brought' to their full capacity of productiveness. The rough, preliminary labors of the pioneers were necessary, but it has been the work of those who have come later which has made the various agricultural sections have such an important place in the life of any state. David William Harvey is one of the agriculturists of Andrew County who is living on land which was cultivated by his father and from which he is bringing excellent results. He was born on this property, which lies in section 15, Nodaway Township, about one mile south of the courthouse at Savannah, February 27, 1865, and is a son of Richard Jacob and Margaret Agnes (Abbott) Harvey.
The maternal grandparents of David W. Harvey were David P. and Celestine (Phelps) Abbott, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Delaware. They came to Missouri as early as April 2, 1842, traveling overland with ox-teams from the Hoosier State, and bringing beside their six children all their household effects and $3,000 in gold and silver with which to purchase their land in the new country. Settling down in Andrew County they engaged in agricultural pursuits and established a home and here two other children were born to them.
In 1849 when there came the thrilling news of the discovery of gold in California, Mr. Abbott joined a caravan of fifty wagons and made the long and dangerous journey across the plains, only to die shortly after his arrival at Sacramento City. Of his children, none survive.
Richard Jacob Harvey was born at Norfolk, Virginia, in 1822, and about the year 1858 came West to the Platte Purchase in Missouri and engaged in farming, in connection with which he was for many years one of the best known educators of this part of the state. He died in 1885 at the age of sixty-three years, and in the faith of the Methodist Church. In political matters he was a democrat, and an influential man in his community. By his first marriage he had one daughter: Elizabeth, who is the widow of Sam Porter, of Whitesville, Andrew County. After coming to Missouri, Mr. Harvey was married to Margaret Agnes Brown, who had been twice married before and who was born in Leesville, Indiana, in 1829. By her first marriage she was the mother of two children, Henry Green Caples and Mary A. Caples, both of whom are now deceased. By her second marriage she had one daughter, Fannie Brown, who died at the age of one year. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Harvey: David William, of this review; and Richard A., a banker of Lincoln, Nebraska. Mrs. Harvey was thirteen years of age when she came to Missouri with her parents who at that time bought the farm of A. Walters that had been entered in 1840. Mrs. Harvey died in 1892, in the faith of the Christian Church.
David William Harvey received his education in the public schools of Savannah, and as a young man was interested in mercantile pursuits for about three years, when he acted as clerk in a grocery store at Barnard, Missouri. At the end of that period, however, he returned to farming, and secured ninety acres of the homestead, of which he at present retains seventy acres. He is engaged successfully in general farming and stockraising, and has good improvements on his land, the greater number of buildings having been erected by himself.
He has various other interests, and is a stockholder in his brother's bank at Hebron, Nebraska, the Hebron State Bank. Mr. Harvey is a member of the Christian Church and of its official board, and has shown his interest in the cause of education by serving efficiently as a member of the board of school directors of his township. Progressive measures and movements have his support, and in every respect he is entitled to be named as one of his community's substantial men.
In 1894 Mr. Harvey was married to Miss Jennie Miller, who died in 1899, at the age of thirty-five years, having been the mother of two children, Margaret, who died at fourteen months; and Abbot, who died when three months old. Mr. Harvey was again married in 1901, when he was united with Mrs. Sadie Clark Horton, and to this union there have been born three children: Richard Clark, who is twelve years of age and a 'student in the Savannah schools; John W., aged ten years, and also attending the public schools; and Caroline, who died at the age of eight months.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.2075-2076; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Jacob Heinz. The Town of Cosby in Andrew County is built largely on land originally comprised within the farm of Jacob Heinz, who since the railroad was built and the town started has been one of the most active factors in its development. Mr. Heinz is no longer engaged in active farming, having turned over the responsibilities of his land to his sons, and is now chiefly engaged as president of the Cosby State Bank. The other officers of the bank are:
F. E. Kline, vice president; O. M. Peters, cashier; and P. E. Newburn, assistant cashier. The Cosby State Bank has had a successful and prosperous record for a number of years, and a statement of business in November, 1914, showed its total resources to be nearly one hundred and thirty thousand dollars. It has capital stock of ten thousand dollars, with a surplus fund of a like amount, and undivided profits of nearly two thousand dollars. Its standing and popularity in the community is well indicated by its total deposits, which amount to considerably more than a hundred thousand dollars.
Jacob Heinz has spent about sixty years of his long and active life in Missouri, and is the example of a poor German boy who came to this country with no capital or resources except willing hands and for many years has been one of the prosperous and influential citizens. He was born in Wuertemberg, Germany, February 7,1836, a son of Louis and Catherine (Meek) Heinz. His parents spent all their lives in the old country, but most of the children came to America. The five children were: Jacob; Kate, widow of George Haas of St. Joseph; Anna, widow of William Fick of Colorado Springs; Barbara, widow of Joseph Zimmerman of St. Joseph; and Louis, who lives near Cosby.
Jacob Heinz left the old country, where he had been reared on his father's farm and had acquired a substantial education, at the age of eighteen, being the first of the children to leave Germany and find a home in the New World. His first location was at Weston in Platt County, Missouri, and he was employed in a blacksmith shop during the fall, and spent part of his time in the winter in work on a farm. He then moved to the country near Rushville, and was employed at different places in Platt and Buchanan counties as a farm hand until 1860. He then worked two years in various lines of employment, and during the war times served for three years in the Missouri State Militia. In 1863 Mr. Heinz bought a small piece of land near Rushville, and that was the start of his independent career which has been accumulating success ever since.
In 1864 Mr. Heinz married Mary Mereoff, who was born in Germany, and died at Cosby in 1894. After his marriage Mr. Heinz continued farming near Rushville, and about 1875 came to Andrew County, and bought eighty acres of land lying across the line in DeKalb County. Later he bought ninety-six acres, comprising a portion of the present site of Cosby. At that time the railroad had not been constructed through this part of the country and when it was built the Town of Cosby was laid out around a station on the route. All that portion of the town lying north of Main Street is built upon land platted from Mr. Heinz's farm. When he bought this land he paid $30 an acre and it was considered a rather fancy price at the time. For the past ten years he has been retired from active farming, allowing his sons, to conduct the seventy acres which still remain of the old homestead. Mr. Heinz has been president of the Cosby State Bank since its organization.
Politically he has been a republican since he became an American citizen, and has been identified with that party since Mr. Lincoln was first elected to the presidency. His church is the Methodist Episcopal. To his marriage were born four children: Louis, who is a farmer conducting the eighty acres bought by Mr. Heinz about forty years ago, situated in DeKalb County half a mile east of Cosby; Mollie, wife of Calvin Wild of St. Joseph; Gustav, a farmer in Monroe Township; and one that died in infancy.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1729-1730; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Levi M. Hickey. From the close of the Civil war until his retirement a few years ago to the Village of Whitesville, Levi M. Hickey was one of the industrious and hard-working farmer citizens of Andrew County. Mr. Hickey won his competence under conditions which would be deemed hardships by the present generation of agriculturists. Persistent toil, early and late, vigilant attention to all details of his business and observance of all the old-fashioned rules of honesty and fair dealing, have been the cornerstones on which his career has been based. He is one of the highly honored citizens of Andrew County.
Levi M. Hickey was born in Carter County, Tennessee, December 21, 1838, and belonged to a large family of that plainspoken and hardy class of people known as East Tennesseans. His father was a Whig during the war was a Union man, and the son Levi was one of the family who fought for the cause of the Union. The parents were James M. and Nancy (Millard) Hickey. His father was born in Washington County, Virginia, in 1797, and his mother in Sullivan County in East Tennessee in 1803. They were married in Sullivan County, and spent their lives in that state on a farm. The mother died in 1862 while her son Levi was in a Confederate prison at Richmond, Virginia. The father died at the age of seventy-two. There were fourteen children, all of whom lived to maturity, and all were reared in a hewed log house, one of the typical homes of Eastern Tennessee, where there was an abundance of the necessities, but very few of the luxuries and in that time and place schools were held in less esteem as a means of discipline than the work and experience of the home farm. The children are briefly named as. follows: Charlotta White, who died in Tennessee in December, 1912, at the age of ninety; Elizabeth Lacey, Matilda Miller, Timothy, James, William and Nathaniel, all deceased; Ann, who married Thomas Crumley and is now deceased; Levi M.; Mary, deceased wife of Jack Crumley; Martha; Emma, wife of George Crumley of Knoxville, Tennessee; and Paulina Dinwiddie of Knoxville, Tennessee.
Levi M. Hickey lived at home until his marriage in 1859, and then moved to Washington County, Tennessee, and lived in that vicinity until the outbreak of the war. He early determined to enlist in the Union army, and while trying to get through the Southern lines to the Union forces was made a prisoner, and for three months kept at Richmond, Virginia. Having been exchanged, and sent through the lines, he reached Louisville, Kentucky, where the regiment which he was to join was then stationed. Thus his formal enlistment was delayed until December 1860.
For Mr. Hickey was a willingness to work hard for a living, and by steady industry he prospered as a farmer and acquired a valuable estate. His home was burned in 1907, and owing to his advanced age he decided to sell his land, and has since lived in Whitesville, in a home he built on coming to that village.
Mr. Hickey has a record of exceptional length as a republican voter. Owing to the fact that there was no Lincoln ticket in Tennessee in 1860, he gave his ballot to John Bell, the free soil candidate, but while in the army voted for Lincoln the second time, and has supported every presidential candidate of that party down to date. In state and county elections he splits his ticket. Mr. Hickey was a member of the Dunkard Church until removing to town, and now attends worship in the Christian Church.
In 1859 he married Mary Bashor, who died in Andrew County in 1892. Their children were: Nancy, wife of Charles Daggett of Kansas; Thomas, of Idaho; Louisa, wife of G. W. Gebhart of Platte Township; Paulina, wife of Bert Riddlesbarger of Idaho; Wallace of Wright County, Missouri; and Henry Milton, who died in infancy.
In 1896 Mr. Hickey married Mrs. Malinda (McNatt) West, who was born in Gentry County, Missouri, a daughter of William McNatt and widow of Joseph West. By her first marriage her children are: Esther, wife of George Hardwick of Los Angeles, California; and Elmer, of Ravenswood, Missouri.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1825-1826; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


George L. Hobson. A good citizen, a prosperous business man, and an honor to his family name and community was the late George L. Hobson, who died at his home in Empire Township, Andrew County, February 11, 1915. He left an estate which illustrated Northwest Missouri farm enterprise at its best. A part of his property in that township was entered by his grandfather many years ago direct from the Government. Mr. Hobson was no man to hide his talents in a napkin. The inheritance he received from his family has been multiplied and increased. 
The paternal grandfather George Hobson was a native of North Carolina, left that state and became a pioneer in Indiana, and some years later came to Northwest Missouri and entered Government land, a part of which is now included in the estate of his grandson. The Hobson’s were English Quakers, and the first Americans of the name came over to this country with William Penn. Grandfather George Hobson was born June 5, 1791, and died near Oregon, Holt County, Missouri, December 29, 1865. He married Deborah Marshall, who died September 15, 1862, at the age of sixty-nine years, one month, twenty-three days. John M. Hobson, the father, was born near Newcastle, Indiana, January 17, 1826, and was about twenty-two years of age when he came to Northwest Missouri. He was a farmer and acquired about one hundred and forty acres, now included in the farm of George L. Hobson. John M. Hobson was reared a Quaker but married outside that church. He was a republican in politics, and during the Civil war served in the Missouri State Militia for a time and was a soldier in the regular army during the last six months of the war. He died on the old homestead April 28, 1902. He was married on the Colburn farm to Martha Colburn, who was also born near Newcastle, Indiana, June 28, 1829. Miss Colburn came to Andrew County when thirteen years of age with her parents, John R. and Elizabeth (Petty) Colburn. Her father located four miles northeast of Savannah, entering land from the Government, and spent the rest of his life on that farm. John R. Colburn was a circuit rider of the Methodist Church, and combined preaching and farming. There were eight children in the Colburn family. Mrs. Martha Hobson died December 15, 1900. Their four children were: Esther, who died at the age of sixteen years; Margaret, wife of Isaac Silvers of Savannah; George L.; and John F., who lives near El Reno, Oklahoma.
George L. Hobson grew up on the old home farm, received his education in the local schools, and from early boyhood manifested those traits of industry and enterprise which carried him so far in a business way. During his early childhood his parents removed to Oregon in Holt County, where his father for years operated a mill. With that exception his home was in Andrew County practically all his life. Asa farmer he was careful, methodical, and practiced the rule of keeping all his land in productive use and at the same time conserving and upbuilding his resources. The surplus from his business was reinvested in more land, and the old home place has gradually been extended until at his death he was owner of 745 acres of the fertile soil of Empire Township. His home place is situated in section 7. All of this land is in one body, and there are three sets of farm buildings. After acquiring the land Mr. Hobson put up two sets of- buildings, and these are used by his tenant operators, who in this case are his own children. One of the best country homes in Andrew County is found on his old home site, and he built the residence in 1900. Mr. Hobson lived on one spot for thirty-eight years, and it is interesting to recall that his first building was a double log cabin. His well ordered enterprise is shown in the substantial character of his farm buildings, comprising large barns,, silos and all other equipment needed for the sheltering of his crops and stock. His success came from combined grain and stock farming and he keeps a large number of high grade stock. Mrs. Hobson has also interested herself in the poultry department of farming, and takes much pride in her chickens, geese, ducks and canary birds. Mr. Hobson was a republican, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Wyatt.
On December 27, 1876, George L. Hobson married Eliza A. Johns. She was born in Madison County, Iowa, July 13, 1854, and came to Andrew County with her parents in 1863. She is a daughter of Andrew B. and Mary A. (Smith) Johns, both natives of Ohio. Mrs. Johns died in Iowa when Mrs. Hobson was eight years of age. Andrew Johns was born July 7, 1829, and his wife October 3, 1830, and she died in 1862. Mr. Johns married for his second wife Mahala Bradford. He died in Andrew County, January 8, 1895. By the first marriage there were eight children and eleven by the second union, and Mrs. Hobson is the oldest among the nineteen children of her father's family.
Mr. and Mrs. Hobson had five children, but two of them, Marshall Andrew and George Byron, died in infancy. The three living are: Homer F., who is a city mail carrier at Quincy, Illinois; Walter M., who occupies and operates a part of the homestead of his father; and Ethel M., wife of W. M. Lanning, they occupying another of the two groups of farm buildings on Mr. Hobson's estate.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1920-1922; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


John D. Hobson. For nearly three-quarters of a century Andrew County has been continuously honored and benefited by the presence within its borders of the Hobson family. In the character of its individual members and in their public services no family in the county has enjoyed higher esteem, and as the first generation were of the fine pioneer type which create homes out of the wilderness, so those that have followed have taken up in turn their destinies in the world and have been homemakers, industrious providers and capable citizens.
John D. Hobson, who represents the second generation, was born in the City of Savannah November 19, 1852. His parents were John and Elizabeth Jane (Phillips) Hobson, both of whom were natives of North Carolina, were of English descent, and in the earliest generations all Quakers. John Hobson was born in Raleigh County, North Carolina, June 29, 1813, a son of Hadley Hobson, who spent all his life in North Carolina. John Hobson early in his career started for the West, lived a time in Indiana, later in Illinois, and while in that state helped lay off a portion of the present City of Chicago, and then with horse and wagon journeyed on to the western frontier and thus arrived ill Andrew County in 1841. In 1844 he was married in Kay County, Missouri, to Elizabeth Phillips, who was born in North Carolina in 1824, and was brought to Andrew County when a child, the Phillips having been among the very first to locate in this section of Missouri. John and Elizabeth Hobson lived for a time in Rochester Township, and later moved to Savannah, where he was associated with his brother Stephen in conducting a brick yard and kiln, and they furnished the material and also the building service in the construction of many of the old homes in Savannah. John Hobson had acquired land from the Government situated six miles northeast of Savannah, in Empire Township, being the owner of a quarter section of prairie land and also forty acres of timber land on the Platte River. After leaving the brick business in Savannah he retired to his farm and spent the rest of his life there, where he died in 1892.
John D. Hobson has spent all his life in Andrew County, and lived at home and assisted his parents in operating the old farm until twenty seven. He then married and began farming for himself, and now owns an excellent estate in section 14 of Platte Township of 160 acres, known as Woodside Farm. It is devoted to general grain and stock farming and Mr. Hobson is one of the successful representatives of agricultural activities in this part of the state. He is a republican in politics and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Walnut Grove.
In 1880 Mr. Hobson married Margaret Crockett, a member of a well known family of that name in Andrew County. She died in 1895. Her father was Nelson Crockett. In 1901 Mr. Hobson married Cynthia Adkins, who died in 1906. In 1908 he married Emma Jones, daughter of Isaac N. and Susan (Bowman) Jones. Mr. Hobson has no children by any of his wives.
Isaac N. Jones, father of Mrs. John D. Hobson, is one of the oldest native sons of Andrew County, where he was born December 18, 1849. Two years later his father was killed by lightning, and the mother then took her eight children up to the old home in Indiana, lived there several years, and at the close of the war returned with three of her children, the other one still living having remained in Indiana, and she continued to reside in Andrew County until her death in 1875. The three children now living are: Elizabeth Blanchard of Barnard, William F. of St. Joseph and Isaac N.
Isaac N. Jones received his education in the country schools and has been a continuous resident of Andrew County since 1865, a period of fifty years. His active career was spent as a farmer and a few years ago he retired and is now living on the farm with his son-in-law, Mr. Hobson. Mr. Jones was married in 1871 to Susan Bowman, who was born in Andrew County December 30, 1848, and has spent practically all her days within the limits of this county. Her parents were Casper and Mary Ann (Hutchinson) Bowman, both natives of Kentucky. Her father was born in 1802 and died at the age of eighty seven and her mother was born in 1811 and died at the age of eighty-nine. They moved from Kentucky to Northwest Missouri with five children during the latter '30s, and spent the rest of their days on a farm six miles northeast of Savannah, on land that had been entered by John Bowman, father of Casper. Isaac N. Jones and wife are the parents of four children: Emma L., wife of John D. Hobson; George Ernest, of Rochester Township; Mary Lou, wife of George Bailey, and now living with her father; Alonzo Newton, of St. Joseph.
C. L. Hobson, an older brother of John D., is also one of the older native sons of Andrew County. He was born in Rochester Township November 7, 1847, and all his years have been spent in this county except three, during which time he was a farmer in Brown County, Kansas. He was reared on a farm, followed that as a vocation until 1882, then spent sixteen years in conducting the mill at Whitesville, and has since been engaged in the carpenter trade. C. L. Hobson is affiliated with Whitesville Lodge No. 313 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
On May 4, 1882, he married Adelia Harlan. She was born in Clinton County, Ohio, February 25, 1857, and came with her parents, R. M. and Mary (Downer) Harlan, to Andrew County in 1868. Both her parents are now deceased and were natives of Ohio. There were three sons and six daughters in the Harlan family. Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Hobson are the parents of three children: Anna Flossie is the wife of E. R. Smith of Whitesville; Nellie Grace is the wife of C. B. Allen of High Prairie, Platte Township, and their three children are named Duane Hobson, Loren Plato and Robert R.; and C. L., Jr., who lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, married Gertrude Thompson of Denver.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1906-1908; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


John W. Howitt. Though Mr. Howitt has recently retired from the Village of Whitesville to his farm in Platte Township he has made his chief record of success and achievement in Andrew County as a banker. For eleven years he held the position of cashier and was practically in executive management of the Farmers Bank of Whitesville. While capital and resources are always considered an important element in banking, an even more important factor is the personality of the men in active charge. Under the progressive administration of Mr. Howitt the Farmers Bank of Whitesville is now one of the most substantial institutions in Andrew County. When he took charge it had a capital stock of $10,000 and a surplus of $1,200. He left it with the capital stock the same but with a surplus of $10,000 and undivided profits of like amount. Mr. Howitt retired from active banking on account of ill health, but still has a block of stock in the bank and is one of its directors.
John W. Howitt was born in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, February 21, 1868, but has spent practically all his life in Andrew County, where his parents were early settlers. His parents were James and Elizabeth (Weaver) Howitt. His father was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, December 27, 1823, was brought to America by his parents at the age of twelve years in 1835, and from New York State moved out to Wisconsin about the time he reached his majority. He lived in Wisconsin until 1858 and then came to Missouri and located on the prairie five miles east of Whitesville. That was his home until his death in 1899. He was a practical farmer and owned and directed the management of about three hundred acres. He always took a keen interest in local affairs, was a republican voter, and though reared in the Presbyterian Church belonged for many years to the Methodist.
While he was reared on a farm and has always had some interests in the country, his active career has been spent mainly along commercial lines. He had a general merchandise store at King City until it was burned out, and he then returned to a farm in Andrew County. For a year and a half he gained some valuable experience as a clerk in St. Joseph and then returned to Whitesville and became cashier of the bank. He is now living on a well improved small farm of sixty acres 4 ½ miles north of Whitesville.
Mr. Howitt is a republican, a citizen of influence in his part of Andrew County, and has long been identified with the Baptist Church, having served as superintendent of Sunday school and teacher of a class. Fraternal matters have made a strong appeal to him and he is affiliated with the Masonic Order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Woodmen of the World and the Order of Yeomen.
On May 1, 1889, Mr. Howitt married Jennie McAllaster of Gentry County, Missouri. They have one daughter of their own, Stella, who is the wife of V. L. Townsend, living 2 ½ miles south of Whitesville. Mr. and Mrs. Townsend have two children, Francis Marion and Josephine Victoria, both of whom are the pride and delight of their grandparents. Mr. Howitt is also rearing an orphan boy, named Raymond Howitt, who was taken from an orphan home in St. Louis at the age of thirteen months and is now eight years of age and attending school.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1828-1829; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.