Hon. Thomas J. Kelly. Among the old and Honored families of Andrew County, none is held in higher esteem than that bearing the name Kelly, which has been located in Monroe Township since 1837, and a worthy representative of which is found in the person of Judge Thomas J. Kelly, whose many years of agricultural operations have given him a substantial position in a community which does not want for capable men.
The entire career of Judge Kelly has been passed within the borders of Monroe Township, and the greater part of this has been spent on the farm which he now occupies. Here he was born, February 9, 1849, in the old double-log home, which boasted a fireplace in. each end. The family was founded in Missouri by Edward Kelly, the paternal grandfather of Judge Kelly, a native of North Carolina, who, in 1837, came to Andrew County with his wife and eleven children, the latter being as follows: Isaac, who went to Texas in 1856; John, who met his death in a runaway accident in Andrew County; Edward, the father of Thomas J.; Nehemiah; Andrew; Henry; Thompson; George; Mrs. Sally Black; Mrs. Celia Hoblett; and Mrs. Lamb. All the children are now deceased.
Edward Kelly, the father of Judge Kelly, was born in North Carolina in 1811, and was twenty-six years of age when he accompanied his parents to Missouri. He was twice married, and by his first union had one son: Nathan, now deceased, who served with the Missouri State Militia. During the Civil War. Later Mr. Kelly married in Monroe Township. After their marriage, although Mr. Kelly had a farm of his own, Mr. and Mrs. Kelly settled on the farm in section 8, Monroe Township, which had been entered in 1837 by Mrs. Kelly's first husband, and there they continued to live and carry on agricultural operations during the remainder of their lives, the father dying in 1885. During the Civil war he was a stanch Union man, and in his community was known as a sterling citizen and a strictly honorable man of business.
Thomas J. Kelly was reared on the farm on which he now lives, and on which he has spent his entire life with the exception of six years on an adjoining property and sixteen years in the mercantile business at Avenue City, two miles west of this homestead, which is very appropriately known as the Homestead Farm. Mr. Kelly, during his long residence here, was successful in the accumulation of 224 acres, but sold twenty-four acres of the land, still retaining 200 acres. In addition to carrying on general farming, for many years he was engaged in the manufacture of butter for his customers at Saint Joseph, but of recent years has given up the latter business. He has always been a citizen ready to assist his community in any way, and at various times has been called upon by his fellow-townsmen to hold public offices of responsibility and importance. For sixteen years he served in the capacity of notary public, and in the fall of 1896 was elected judge of Andrew County, and served as such two terms, or four years. It is a curious and interesting coincidence that Judge Kelly was acting in the capacity of county judge when the present courthouse was built, while his maternal grandfather, Judge William Deakin, was county judge when the first courthouse was built in Andrew County.
Judge Kelly has always been a stanch supporter of republican candidates, principles and policies. He is a devout member of the Baptist Church at High Prairie, and at present is acting as deacon and treasurer.
On April 4, 1874, Judge Kelly was married to Miss Sarah L. Gordon, who was born in North Carolina in 1852 and was six years of age when brought to the farm adjoining that of Judge Kelly by her parents, Eli and Elizabeth Gordon, both of whom passed away here, the father shortly after arrival. Six children have been born to Judge and Mrs. Kelly: Bessie M., the wife of Irvin Hartman, of Rochester Township, who has seven children, Lee, Allen and Alfred, twins, Lottie, Dorothy, Helen and an infant son; Will E., who resides at home and assists his father in the operation of the homestead; Addie, the wife of W. J. McBean, of Union Star, who has three children, W. K., J. H. and Agues; J. Ed, engaged in merchandising in this township, who has one son, Jewell; Lottie, who makes her home with her parents; and Rachel, the wife of B. B. McGill, of Monroe Township, has two children, Ralph B. and Clarence James.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1765-1766; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Henry Newton Kennedy. One of the valuable and attractive farming properties of Northwest Missouri is Merrievale Farm, a tract of 320 acres lying in Platte Township, section 5, which is devoted to the raising of grain and the breeding of thoroughbred cattle and mules by its owner, Henry Newton Kennedy. Mr. Kennedy is one of the progressive and substantial agriculturists of this locality, and has contributed greatly to the development of the community's farming interests, while as a citizen he has taken a full share in advancing the welfare of Platte Township and Andrew County.
Henry N. Kennedy was born in Polk Township, Nodaway County, Missouri, November 25, 1855, and is a son of the late Judge Samuel T. and Lucretia (Smith) Kennedy. Judge Kennedy was born on a farm in Fayette County, Indiana, September 29, 1830. His father, John Kennedy, by occupation a farmer, was a native of North Carolina, and his mother, whose maiden name was Charity McMichael, was also born in the Old North State. When Judge Kennedy was fourteen years of age the family came to Missouri, and settled in Platte County at a time when Indians were almost the sole inhabitants. In 1850 Judge Kennedy removed to Nodaway County, Missouri, and settled on a farm near Maryville. At that time there were no settlers between his property and Maryville, and only four families and one store in that town, which his parents and a nephew located on a property that subsequently became the county poor farm. The nearest supply point was St. Joseph and four days were necessary in which to make the trip. In 1897 Judge Kennedy moved to Maryville, and from that time resided with his daughter, Mrs. J. H. Booth, until his death, Saturday, September 4, 1909, at the age of seventy-eight years eleven months four days, death being caused by cancer, an illness with which he was afflicted for several months. The funeral services were held at the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and were in charge of the Masons and White Cloud Lodge No. 92, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which Mr. Kennedy had been a member, also attended the services in a body. Burial took place at .Miriam Cemetery. Judge Kennedy was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Odd Fellows and Maryville Lodge No. 165, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he had been master for eight years, and district deputy grand master in 1873 and 1874. A democrat in politics, in 1873 Judge Kennedy was elected chairman of the County Court, filling the position for five years and six months in a most satisfying manner.
Judge Kennedy was married July 14, 1850. At this time makes her home with her daughter at Maryville. On July 14, 1900, Judge and Mrs. Kennedy celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at the home of B. A. Willhoyte, their son-in-law, who resides west of town, and there attended their children, sixteen of their twenty-three grandchildren, and their four great-grandchildren. Judge and Mrs. Kennedy were the parents of ten children, of whom seven still survive: Mrs. M. J. Willhoyte, northwest of Maryville; John W., a resident of Parnell, Missouri; Henry N., of this review; Mrs. Ward Miller, of St. Petersburg, Florida; Mrs. F. M. Taylor, of Des Moines, Iowa; Mrs. B. H. Lingenfelter, of Seattle, Washington; and Mrs. J. H. Booth, of West Sixth Street, Maryville. The deceased children were: Austin S., Andrew W. and Archibald S. Judge Kennedy was appointed coal inspector by Governor Dockery and also held the same position under appointment by Governor Folk.
Henry Newton Kennedy received a country school education and grew up amid rural surroundings, early adopting the vocation of farmer as his life work. Until his marriage he resided with his father and at that time established a home of his own, having 120 acres 1 ½ miles south of Wilcox. On January 18, 1901, he came to Andrew County, locating on his present property of 320 acres, in section 5, Platte Township, and this is now under a high state of cultivation, yielding large crops of grain and furnishing excellent pasturage for Mr. Kennedy's livestock. Merrievale Farm has been improved by the erection of a handsome set of buildings, including a modern residence, substantial barn, a large silo, and various outbuildings, in addition to which Mr. Kennedy has the most up-to-date machinery and equipment. For a number of years he raised about fifty mules annually for the market, and still breeds many jacks, although for the past several years he has devoted more attention to breeding thoroughbred white faced cattle. He has lent encouragement to the farming interests here, and is an active member of the Whitesville Interstate Corn and Poultry Association.
Politically Mr. Kennedy is a democrat, and his fraternal affiliation is with the Masonic Lodge at Bolckow. Among those who have had business dealings with him, Mr. Kennedy bears the reputation of being a man of integrity, and is justly accounted one of the representative men of his community.
Mr. Kennedy was married September 23, 1876, to Sarah Nettie Ford, who was born in Nodaway County, Missouri, November 25. 1855, the same day as Mr. Kennedy was born. She died April 15, 1886, having been the mother of four children: Ida May, who is the wife of C. J. Duncan, and resides west of Wilcox; Lucy W, who married Frank Carter, and resides in Putnam County, Missouri; Harlan E., a resident of Andrew County; and Wallace, who lives near Parnell, Missouri.
On November 23, 1887, Mr. Kennedy was married to Mary Bell ("Minnie") Lindsay, who was born near Rainsboro, Highland County, Ohio, April 1. 1860, and came to Missouri with her parents in 1870, they being Jacob J. and Amanda M. (Hiatt) Lindsay. Jacob J. Lindsay was born July 24, 1823, in Pike County. Ohio, and there grew to manhood and was married to Amanda M. Hiatt. September 21. 1848. In 1870 they moved to a farm east of Bolckow. Missouri, where they resided until 1892, when they removed to Maryville. there living until the death of Mrs. Lindsay, January 24, 1900, having lived together for over fifty years. From the time of his wife's death until his own Mr. Lindsay made his home alternately with his daughters.
Mr. Lindsay was in B Company in the Sixtieth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and participated in several battles. After four days of fighting at Harper's Ferry, he was captured by General Jackson's men. One sister survives him. Mr. Lindsay was converted and joined the Christian Union Church, of which he remained a faithful member. He died of pneumonia April 5, 1906. Amanda M. Hiatt was born at Leesburg, Ohio, June 11, 1830, and died January 24, 1900, at Maryville, Missouri. She was married at Cynthiana, Ohio, to J. J. Lindsay, and to this union there were born seven children. One, the youngest, died in infancy. The three oldest, Sarah Redkey, Dr. J. O. and J. H., all preceded their mother in death. Three daughters survive: Mr. J. R. Carson, of Berlin, Missouri; Mrs. C. W. Talbot, of Haven, Kansas; and Mrs. Kennedy. At the time of her demise Mrs. Lindsay had twenty-eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Mrs. Lindsay was converted and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in the year 1849, but after coming to Missouri united with the Baptist Church, and was always a faithful member, but on account of ill health was unable to attend during the last several years of her life. Mrs. Lindsay left a brother, J. J. Hiatt, of Carmel, Ohio, and one sister, Mrs. Eliza Warntz, of Rainsboro, Ohio. The funeral services were held at the Baptist Church, conducted by Dr. G. L. Black, the pastor, after which burial took place at Miriam Cemetery. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy: Wray L., who died at the age of thirteen years; Verna Marie, a graduate of Maryville Business College, who lives at home with her parents; and Eva C. and Martha, who are attending the home school.
Mrs. Kennedy is a lady of culture and education, having been graduated from Stanberry State Normal School, class of 1885, following which she was for about twenty years a teacher in the public schools of Andrew and Nodaway counties. Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy are Christian people, but have not been identified with any church since they moved from the old home place in Nodaway County. Mr. Kennedy has met with vicissitudes in his career, but has always overcome all obstacles and discouragements. On July 13, 1883, a windstorm visited his farm in Nodaway County, and stripped it completely of buildings and trees. Most of the members of the family had taken refuge in their cyclone cellar, but Mr. Kennedy and his daughter Lucy remained in the house, which was demolished, although they received no serious injury. Mr. Kennedy did not have one cent of insurance and his possessions were all taken from him, but he still retained his credit in the community, and with this as a basis started all over again, and eventually regained his lost fortunes.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1815-1817; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
John D. Kerr. While Mr. Kerr was for one term the efficient incumbent of the postoffice at Savannah, he is probably best known over Andrew County for his many years of active connection with newspaper work, as editor and publisher of the Savannah Republican. His family is one that has been identified with Andrew County the greater part of forty years, and his father, Dr. William M. Kerr, is one of the oldest and most prominent physicians of Savannah.
Dr. William Morrison Kerr was born in Woodsfield, Monroe County, Ohio, February 28, 1840, a son of John and Janet (Davidson) Kerr. The parents were both natives of Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and in 1836 emigrated to America, bringing with them two children, John, who died in Wheeling, West Virginia, and Mary, also deceased. The parents died at Woodsfield, Ohio. The father was a carpenter by trade, having learned that business in Scotland, but after locating in Ohio was a farmer. His death occurred at the age of seventy-nine and his wife was past eighty. Altogether there were thirteen children, and five sons and four daughters reached maturity. Two of the daughters and one son died in Scotland from the scourge of cholera.
Doctor Kerr grew up in Ohio, learned the duties of a farm and acquired a common school education, and when about twenty-two years of age, in August, 1862, was commissioned second lieutenant in Company A of the One Hundred and Sixteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
He continued in active service until November, 1864, when he was discharged.
He began practice at Fairfield, Illinois, but in 1876 moved to Northwest Missouri, locating at Fillmore in Andrew County. He later spent a year in Kansas, returned to Missouri, and in 1887 again moved to Jewell County, Kansas, and lived there about three years. Since his return in the fall of 1890 his home has been at Savannah, and he has a high standing among the physicians of the county.
Doctor Kerr's brother, John D., was a soldier in the same company and died on the Antietam battlefield, while his youngest brother, George, now a resident of Woodsfield, Ohio, was a member of the noted organization known as the "Squirrel Hunters" during the war. Doctor Kerr has been a republican almost since the organization of the party, and is an active member of Peabody Post, No. 41, of the Grand Army of the Republic. He has been a Mason for more than half a century and is affiliated with Savannah Lodge, No. 71, A. F. & A. M. His ancestors in Scotland were covenanters, and he is an elder in the Presbyterian Church in Savannah. Doctor Kerr was married in Illinois in 1871 to Mary I. Trousdale, who was born in Wayne County, Illinois, daughter of John and Ellen ( Wilson) Trousdale, the former a native of Tennessee and the latter of England. Doctor Kerr and wife were the parents of the following children: Anna, who died at the age of eight years; John D.; William R., of St. Joseph; and Alice, who was assistant postmaster at Savannah.
John D. Kerr was born in Fairfield, Illinois, August 1, 1873. That was the home of his mother at the time she married Doctor Kerr. He was three years of age when his parents located at Fillmore, and has spent most of his life in Andrew County. Mr. Kerr graduated from the Savannah high school in 1892, and in the following year entered the office of the Andrew County Republican, and was in active newspaper work for twenty years. In 1896 he bought a half interest in the paper, and in 1905 became sole proprietor and successfully managed that influential news organ until he sold out in August, 1913. On February 23, 1911, Mr. Kerr received appointment as postmaster at Savannah, and during his incumbency did much to improve service to patrons.
Mr. Kerr has been a republican all his mature life, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the Modern Woodmen of America. In 1896 he married Mattie Buis, who was born in Andrew County, and they were graduated from the high school in the same class. Her parents, both deceased, were Perry and Mary Buis. Mr. Kerr and wife have eight children: Eleanor, John, Jr., Morris, Janet, Catherine, Gertrude, Helen and Charlotte.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1641-1642; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Frank E. Kline. When Frank E. Kline began business as a merchant at Cosby twenty years ago he had only a thousand dollars in capital, half of which was borrowed, and his chief guaranty for success was a record of industry and integrity, and a thorough confidence on his own part in his ability to meet obstacles as they should come up. This confidence has been well justified by his record of accomplishment since that time. Mr. Kline is a general merchant, handling hardware, implements, dry goods, groceries and other general merchandise. At the present time he carries a stock of goods valued at about fifteen thousand dollars, and also owns the building in which his store is conducted. He has been one of the leading factors in the development of this thriving little village of Andrew County. In 1913 he conducted the Kline Opera House, 36x60 feet, a two-story frame building, covered with galvanized sheeting. In 1913 he also built and has since operated the electric light plant, which supplies lighting current for most of the town. He is vice president of the Cosby State Bank and is one of the first group of half a dozen men who controlled most of the affairs in that locality.
Franklin Elliott Kline was born in Madison County, Illinois, December 27, 1868. His father, Godlove Kline, was born in Maryland in 1824, a son of Godlove and Nancy (Byerly) Kline.
Both parents were native of Saubia, Germany, were married in the old country, and soon afterwards set out for the United States. The vessel on which they were passengers was shipwrecked, and only they and one passenger were rescued. On arriving in Maryland all their possessions were sold to pay for the passage. Later the family moved from Maryland to Ohio, and the grandfather died there, while his wife passed away at Madisonville, Illinois. Their children were August, John, Stephen, Godlove, Elizabeth and Mary.
Godlove Kline, father of the Cosby merchant, was married in Vinton County, Ohio, to Nancy Byerly, who was born in Vinton County in 1827. In 1856 they moved to Madison County, Illinois, lived there and at Quincy until they moved out to Bates County, Missouri, in 1877, and in the fall of the same year located at Rochester in Andrew County. There the father passed away in 1897 at the age of sixty-six, and his wife died in February, 1907, at the age of seventy-nine. Godlove Kline spent his life as a farmer, and had a large estate in Illinois. There were eleven children, namely: Mary Elizabeth, wife of John Kurth of Cosby; Isabelle, who died when about twenty-one years of age; Melsina, who died in infancy; Jacob I., of Springfield; Margaret, wife of G. Roper of Stubbleheld, Illinois; Elijah, who died in Bates County, Missouri, when about forty years of age, leaving a widow and four children; Kate, wife of A. L. Nash of St. Joseph; John W., who lives in Savannah; Daniel, who died at the age of two and a half years; Mazie, who died in 1902 as the wife of Robert Hawk; and Franklin Elliott.
Frank E. Kline has been a resident of Andrew County since 1877, when he was nine years old, and received most of his education in the local schools here. For ten years he was employed in a store at Rochester for his brother, J. W. Kline, and there gained a thorough training and experience in merchandising. For two years he was employed in the Artesian Ice Plant at St. Joseph. It was on April 9, 1895, that Mr. Kline started in his present business with the limited capital and facilities already noted. Politically Mr. Kline is a republican, and for eighteen years served as postmaster at Cosby, from April 22, 1897, to January 1, 1914. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America.
On May 2, 1894, he married Mary Snowden, who was born in Andrew County, a daughter of Judge Jonathan and Mary Elizabeth (Carson) Snowden, now deceased, and early settlers of Andrew County. Mr. and Mrs. Kline have five children: Maggie May, who died at the age of eight years; Fred B., who is now attending high school at Savannah; Harold, Frank and Marion.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1730-1731; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Capt. Frank Knickerbocker. A gentleman who, coming to Savannah after reaching his forty-third year and mingling in the city's busy life for forty years, and was among its active men, giving daily attention to the management of his interests and the duties of an official position, is an anomaly. Most men who have reached their eighty-fourth year, especially if fortune has crowned their life's labor, feel like retiring from the strife and enjoying the ease and dignity which they have earned. Not so did Capt. Prank Knickerbocker feel. With intellect unclouded, and with manly strength but slightly abated, with an erect form, firm step and undimmed vision, he went about his daily round of affairs as in the days when struggle seemed necessary. It was an inheritance from a vigorous ancestry, strengthened by a life of activity and healthful labor.
Capt. Frank Knickerbocker, who was an incumbent of public office during the entire forty years of his residence at Savannah, was born near Rochester, New York, January 22, 1831, a son of Richard W. and Patience (Smith) Knickerbocker, the former being a native of the Mohawk Valley, New York, a member of the famous old Empire State family so prominent in history, and a nephew of Diedrich Knickerbocker. The captain's parents came West to Michigan in 1836, traveling considerably over the state in searching a suitable location to take up the 160-acre land grant which Richard W. Knickerbocker had received from the Government as a reward for his faithful services as a soldier during the War of 1812.
Eventually they decided upon a tract fifteen miles west of Detroit, eighty acres being located on each side of the Village of Wayne, in Wayne County. The father cleared forty acres from the heavy timber, erected a log cabin, and there experienced all the hardships and privations incident to settling in a new country. When the Michigan Central Railroad was built through that part of the country it crossed the two eighties, and these accordingly increased greatly in value. There the parents spent the remaining years of their lives in the peaceful pursuits of farming, passed away at the homestead, and were buried in the Wayne Cemetery. They were devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in political matters the father was a Whig. They were the parents of nine children, as follows: Samuel, who is deceased; Mrs. Mary Tyler, deceased, one of whose sons, Richard W., enlisted in the Union army during the Civil war, rose to the rank of major, subsequently became a well-known officer in the regular army, and died at Washington, D. C.; Chauncey W., who became one of the most prominent Universalist preachers of Michigan, had charge of the parish at Lansing, and there erected a church and organized a large congregation; Daniel, who was a farmer and died at the age of thirty five years; Ursula, who married Henry Fargo, who served in the Seminole war and subsequently met a soldier's death during the Civil war, and she is also deceased; Capt. Frank, of this review; Smith, who entered the ministry, became prominent in the Upper Iowa Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died at Cedar Falls, Iowa, at the age of seventy years; Phoebe Ann, who died at the age of nine years; and Richard, who died in infancy and was buried with his mother, who passed away a few days later.
Capt. Frank Knickerbocker was given an ordinary public school education in Michigan, where he was taken by his parents as a lad. In 1859 Captain Knickerbocker came to Andrew County, Missouri, and settled in the vicinity of Fillmore, where he at once began to be engaged in the carpenter trade and the contracting business, erecting many buildings and bridges in this and adjoining counties, his operations in this line extending over a period of thirty years and being rewarded by the greatest success.
It was while living at Fillmore that the Civil war broke out and Captain Knickerbocker secured his title. Entering the Missouri State Militia, the state being under martial law, he rose from the rank of private to that of orderly sergeant, and then was promoted to captain of Company G, a rank which he held throughout the remainder of the war. He made an excellent record as a soldier, his services being confined to guard duty, although at times he was called upon to act with the United States troops.
Prior to the outbreak of the war, Captain Knickerbocker had taken up the study of law, and in 1862 took the examination before Judge Parker at Savannah, and was admitted to the bar. He continued to be engaged in practice at Fillmore until 1874, in which year he was elected state's attorney, and was from that time a resident of Savannah. He served one term as state's attorney, was subsequently employed by the county to build bridges for several years, and in 1888 was appointed postmaster of Savannah, under the administration of President Benjamin Harrison, and held that office four years. He has also been mayor of Savannah eight years, having been elected to that office on four different occasions, served as justice of the peace for five years and as city attorney for five years, and also served four years in the capacity of public administrator of Andrew County. Such a long service, unmarked by stain or blemish of any kind, denotes the possession of superior abilities. He was a lifelong republican and consistently supported the presidential candidates of his party ever since his first vote was cast for Taylor. He was a Presbyterian in his religious faith, and fraternally a Master Mason, a Mason for fifty years, was master of Round Prairie Lodge at Fillmore during the greater part of his residence there, and an "Ancient Member" of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Captain Knickerbocker was the last one of his parents' children to pass away. His death occurred January 27, 1915, and with the exception of his own children and those of his brothers he knew of no other Knickerbockers. By his first union Captain Knickerbocker was the father of six children: Lewis, who is a resident of Fall City. Nebraska; Florence May, who married L. M. Woodcock and is a resident of Seattle, Washington; Cora, who married M. S. Ingersoll of Seattle, Washington; June, who is a resident of Savannah; Charles, who died at the age of two years; and Peter, who died when eighteen months of age.
Captain Knickerbocker was married a second time in 1868 to Sarah Jane Warner, who was born in the City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, December 25, 1833, and came from that state to Illinois with her parents To this marriage there were no children born.
At an advanced age he is still active and strong, mentally and physically, now serving a term as justice of the peace, having been elected after finishing the term of the late Captain Mercer by appointment. Captain Knickerbocker is a lawyer of ability, is a notary public and has an insurance agency representing six old-line companies. He was a captain in the State Militia service during the entire Civil war. While a resident of Fillmore he was elected county attorney several years, was appointed postmaster by President Harrison serving four years, including two years of Cleveland’s administration. He is known as a pioneer citizen of ability and integrity, reliable in all business dealings, and is held in high esteem by his fellow citizens here, purely upon his merit as a citizen, thoroughly capable and deserving. His life is worthy of emulation by the younger set.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1718-1721; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Frederick W. Kornemann. One of the valuable farms of Andrew County which represent German thrift and industry is the Kornemann homestead, near the Village of Clarksdale, on section 13 of Monroe Township. Its proprietor, Frederick W. Kornemann, has lived on this -one place and has been a factor in community affairs more than thirty years and his name is familiar to many stockmen in various parts of Northwest Missouri.
Frederick W. Kornemann was born in Hesse Cassel, Germany, November 17,1850. His parents were Franz and Mary Christina (Kaseburg) Kornemann. In 1868 all the family left Germany, went first to St. Louis, and soon afterwards located in Clinton County, Missouri, near Cameron. There Franz Kornemann followed the vocation of farming until his death in 1871, when about fifty-nine years of age. His widow lived with her son Frederick until her death May 17, 1901, at the age of seventy-four. Frane Kornemann spent all his life as a farmer, and before leaving Germany served three years in the army. The children were: Frederick W.; Mary, wife of Fred Krull of Monroe Township; Henry, who lives near Walla Walla, Washington; George, whose home is near Warrensburg, Missouri; and Minnie, deceased, who married Conrad Neth.
Frederick W. Kornemann was about seventeen years of age when the family came to America, and his education had been acquired in German schools. He learned the English language after coming to America, and for several years was a substantial farmer in Clinton County. In 1879 he and his mother bought the Andrew County farm from Thomas Aston, and took possession in 1880. Since then for a period of thirty-four years Mr. Kornemann lived in Andrew County, has prospered in the general lines of agricultural activity, and has stood well in his civic relations and as a helpful member of the community. At the present time he is owner of 240 acres, the homestead comprising 160 acres. Much of his revenue as a farmer comes from live stock. At the time of the Spanish-American war he and his brother George rode all over this section of Missouri buying mules for the Government, and this established an extensive acquaintance among stockmen over several counties and proved an experience subsequently valuable to him as an individual stock raiser. Mr. Kornemann is a director in the Platte Valley Bank at Cosby, having been identified with that institution since its organization. Politically he is a republican and is a member of the German Methodist Church. Mr. Kornemann is unmarried.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg.1920; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
John Kurth. For nearly forty years John Kurth has been an estimable citizen of Andrew County, has spent most of his active career in farming, and is now living retired at Cosby. As a young man he served during the closing months of the Civil war with a Union regiment, and his record as a citizen has been in keeping with the loyal qualities he displayed while fighting for his adopted country.
John Kurth is a native of Switzerland, born in Canton Berne, November 12, 1840, a son of John and Elizabeth (Lontz) Kurth. His father was born in 1810 and his mother in 1812. In 1850, when the son John was ten years of age, the family left Switzerland, embarked on a sailing vessel at Havre, France, and after a long and tedious voyage of forty three days arrived at New Orleans. From there they came up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, and then found a home with a colony of Swiss people at the old Town of Highland thirty miles east of St. Louis, in Madison County, Illinois. Highland was established by Swiss people, and has always retained its characteristic as a Swiss and German town. At Highland the father worked at his trade as a gunsmith for about twenty years, and then spent the rest of his career as a farmer. He died at the age of eighty-three, and his wife passed away at seventy-five. They were the parents of a large family of children, twelve in number, named as follows: Elizabeth, deceased, who married Rev. Jacob Tanner; John; Jacob, of Portland, Oregon; Barbara, who died at Effingham, Illinois, was first the wife of Jacob Kooch and later married Mr. Barthold.
Mr. John Kurth was ten years of age when the family located at Highland, and had only one year of schooling after that, since it was necessary for him to go to work and help his father support the large family of children. He was employed on a farm, and was an industrious worker at home until 1864, when he enlisted in Company B of the Fifteenth Missouri Infantry at St. Louis. He served in the Army of the Cumberland, went south to Texas in the latter months of his service, and was mustered out in that state, and discharged at St. Louis in February, 1866, with the rank of sergeant.
After the war Mr. Kurth continued farming in Illinois until 1876, and in October of that year arrived in Bates County, Missouri. He rented a farm there one year, then ran a mail route, and on September 1, 1878, arrived in St. Joseph and worked as a teamster until the following spring. Mr. Kurth then bought a small place of forty-five acres north of Cosby, and some time later bought an improved farm of ninety acres in Rochester Township. For many years he continued the cultivation and operation of this farm, but after retiring from active life went to Cosby to live.
Mr. Kurth is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which his wife is also a member, and is well known in Grand Army circles. On October 20, 1870, John Kurth married Mary Elizabeth Kline, who was born in Vinton County, Ohio, August 19, 1848, a daughter of Godlove and Nancy (Byerly) Kline. The Kline family has some interesting connections with this section of Northwest Missouri, and a more complete sketch of the family will be found on other pages. Mr. and Mrs. Kurth are the parents of a family of nine children whose names and brief mention of whom are as follows: John G., who was drowned in the Platte River at the age of thirty years; Anna Oretta, wife of George McKee of Fort Scott, Kansas; Sally, who married William McKee, a rural mail carrier and brother of George, and they live at Cosby; Nancy is the wife of Frank Krull of Bates County; Mollie is the wife of John McKee of Hempie, Missouri; Emma died at the age of twelve years; William E., a farmer near Cosby; Charles lives at Lathrop, Missouri; and Nellie is the wife of Bud J. Thomas of Andrew County.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.2074-2075; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Walter Kurz. The Kurz family has a record of more than thirty years' residence in Andrew County. In the cultivation and improvement of land and in the raising of the fruits thereof it is only a matter of justice to say that they have not only kept pace with but have been leaders in raising the general agricultural standards of this section of the state. Mr. Walter Kurz, whose home is in section 11 of Lincoln Township, is one of the younger representatives of this family, and what he has accomplished in the last quarter of a century will serve to indicate the substantial things associated with this name.
Walter Kurz was born in Canton Bern, Switzerland, July 18, 1871, one of the younger children of Benedict and Elizabeth (Biegler) Kurz. His father was born in the same canton in 1831, and his mother in 1832. Benedict Kurz was a man of education and of no little prominence in his native country. He taught school for a number of years and then on account of his health took up farming. He was active in local politics, served as mayor three terms, each term four years in duration, of his home Village of Wattenwyl and was representative of his home district, Seftigen, in the Federal Government six years, having resigned his post when he left Switzerland for America. He had many friends, stood high in the community, and it was on account of financial troubles brought about by his generosity in attaching his name to bonds for his friends that led him in 1883 to leave Switzerland and come to America. He came direct to Andrew County, where many of his fellow countrymen had located, and bought 158 acres of land in Lincoln Township, and lived there as a farmer until his death in 1899. His wife passed away in 1896. The old home place is now occupied by their son, Fred E. After coming to America Benedict Kurz took out citizenship papers, and voted with the democratic party.
He was a member of the German Reform Church. Brief mention of the nine children in the family is as follows: Fred E., the present proprietor of the old homestead; John, who lives in Lincoln Township; Elizabeth, who died in 1888 at the age of twenty-eight; Ernest, a resident of Texas; Alexander, who lives with his brother, John; Joseph, a resident of Kansas; Gottfried, of Texas; Walter; Millie, who lives with her brother, Ernest, in Texas.
Walter Kurz was twelve years old when the family came to America, and most of his education was acquired in the national schools of Switzerland. He lived at home with his parents until the age of twenty-three, and then for three years was a farmer in partnership with his brother, Joseph. After his marriage he bought a farm of eighty acres, and applied himself industriously and with characteristic vigor to the task of paying for the land and improving it. When that was accomplished he bought an adjoining eighty acres, and on the second eighty he has his present homestead. The second purchase was a well improved farm. His success has come from general farming and stockraising, and no man stands higher in that community than Walter Kurz.
Politically he is identified with the democratic party, and has served his community as a school and road officer. He is a member of the German Reform Church at Amazonia.
In 1899 Mr. Kurz married Rosa Lee Durtehi, who was born in Canton Bern, Switzerland, in 1872, and in 1883 came to this country with her parents, Adolph and Rosa Durtehi. Her father is still living, a resident of Fillmore, Andrew County. Mr. and Mrs. Kurz are the parents of seven children: Benjamin, Edna, Selma, Aline, Ernest, Clarence and Irma Lee.
The oldest brother of Walter Kurz, Fred Emil Kurz, was born in Switzerland, July 10, 1856, and has lived on the old farm in Lincoln Township since 1883. He is likewise one of the successful general farmers and stock raisers of this county. He was well educated in his native land, but for more than thirty years has been a loyal and patriotic American citizen. He is a democrat and a member of the German Reform Church in Amazonia. In 1891 he married Minnie Segessemann, who was born in Lincoln Township, Andrew County, in 1870, a daughter of Gottlieb and Catherine Schneider Segessemann. Both her parents were natives of Switzerland and are now deceased. Fred E. Kurz and wife have the following children: Elizabeth, Fred H., Paul (who died at the age of thirteen years), Eric, Ada, Gertrude (died at the age of nine), Wilma, Alma, and Heinz.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1961-1962; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]