Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Biographies

" M "

Rudolph C. Mandler. An industry that has grown and flourished in Northwest Missouri during the past several decades is the operation of farm lands for the production of dairy goods. Ever since the necessity for pure milk has been recognized many of the most progressive agriculturists of this section have devoted their activities to dairying, and that industry is the chief feature of the farm enterprise of Rudolph C. Mandler, a prosperous and well known citizen of section 12. Monroe Township. Andrew County. Mr. Mandler has spent practically all his life in Andrew County, and has won his present standing as a businessman and farmer by close attention to business, and a well seasoned judgment in the management of his affairs.
Rudolph C. Mandler was born near Berlin, Germany, February 1, 1870, a son of John and Louisa (Reschke) Handler, natives of the same country. Three months after his birth his parents emigrated to America, locating at St. Joseph. The father died in this country in September, 1871, at the age of thirty-eight. His widow subsequently married Christian Harr, and she lived until 1910, passing away at the age of sixty-six. By her first marriage there were three children: Mrs. Christina Ochse, deceased; Rudolph; and Louisa, wife of Louis Bepper of Fall City, Nebraska. By her marriage to Mr. Harr there were four children: Christian Harr of Easton, Missouri; Eva, wife of William Bunse, Godfried, and Herman, all of Cosby.
Rudolph C. Mandler was brought to Andrew County before the beginning' of his conscious recollections, and after his education found employment on farms, and has steadily advanced to a substantial prosperity. He is now proprietor of a farm of 120 acres, and most of its improvements have been placed there by Mr. Mandler. He keeps a dairy of eighteen graded Jersey cows, and ships cream to the St. Joseph market. The other bi-products and farm produce are fed to Poland China hogs, and he also has been successful as a poultry raiser, the barred rock fowls being his specialty. Mr. Mandler is also a director in the Cosby State Bank.
In politics he voted with the Republican Party, and is a member of the Evangelical Association. On March 3, 1893, Mr. Mandler married Mary Bunse. She was born on the farm where she now lives July 31, 1871, and has never had any other home than this place. Her parents were Christian and Minnie (Zimmerman) Bunse, both of whom were born in Waldec, Germany, were married there, and in 1866 emigrated to America and settled in Andrew County. There her mother died in 1875 and her father passed away in 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Mandler are parents of four children now living: Elsie, Wesley, Freda and Ada, besides one named Selma and an infant who are deceased.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.2078-2079 ; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Woodford Martin, M. D. There is comparative little interest for the general reader in the history of lives that have been without struggle, and it is because of this that romances enthrall because they tell of difficulties met and overcome and of the consequent development of character. In every community, doubtless, there are many now quietly pursuing their daily avocations, into whose lives have come struggles and achievements, the telling of which may be of encouragement to others and cannot fail to excite universal interest. Among the prominent citizens of Savannah, Missouri, who has achieved success in the practice of medicine, winning his way through sheer determination, is Dr. Woodford Martin, whose practice, in point of years, covers a longer period than any other physician in Andrew County.
Woodford Martin was born in Lincoln Township, Andrew County, Missouri, November 30, 1843. He is a son of Elijah and Sarah Elizabeth (Goodloe) Martin, the former of whom was born in 1811, at Woodford, Kentucky, and the latter near Richmond, Virginia. They were married in Kentucky and came to Andrew County in 1836, waiting for the opening of the Platte purchase, when they secured a homestead, in Lincoln Township, on which they lived until within five years of their decease, when they moved to the home of their son, Woodford, at Savannah, and died there, the mother at the age of seventy-nine years, and the father in his. eightieth year. They were real pioneers and faced hardships without number, bravely bearing their part in the developing of their section. They were devout Presbyterians and their faith was a strong anchor when the troubles of life fell upon them. Elijah Martin was first a Whig in his political sentiments, but later became a democrat and his sons adopted the same political faith. Five children were born to Elijah and Sarah Elizabeth Martin: James E., who is now deceased, served all through the war between the states under General Price and was a member of his body guard at the time of that officer's surrender; Robert H., who is engaged in farming in Lincoln Township; John S., who was also a soldier and participated in the battle of Blue Mills, Missouri, escaping death on the field, but shortly afterward died of measles; Woodford; and Eliza V., who is also deceased. The first store in Andrew County was located on the Martin homestead and conducted by Robert Elliott, a relative, with John Samuels, Mr. Elliott's son-in-law, under the name of Elliott & Samuels, they having secured permission from the United States Government to operate a trading post in 1835. Later they moved the store to Whitehall and then to Savannah, being the earliest merchants in the last named place.
Woodford Martin had but meager educational opportunities in boyhood, school sessions being short and irregular, as in all newly settled sections, nevertheless he had an ambition to excel and a determination to become a practitioner of medicine. When he reached manhood it was during the troubled days of Civil war and the future looked anything but bright, and he concluded to remain still longer on the home farm, and, while his brothers were in the army, still further assist his father. In the hope of finally attaining his ambition he secured medical books and for two years carried on his studies alone, but in 1868 became a student under the direction of Dr. J. B. G. Ferguson, of Savannah, proving diligent as a student and so reliable that his preceptor permitted him to practice in the local regions to some extent. It was with high hopes that in 1873 he set out for a medical school at St. Louis and there applied himself so assiduously to study for six months, denying himself comforts and recreation, that he fell so dangerously ill that he was sent to his home in the expectation that death would surely soon follow. Home care, however, so restored him to normal condition that in 1874 he insisted on again leaving home for a medical school at Louisville, Kentucky, and there remained until he was graduated in 1876. With little intermission, Doctor Martin has been in medical practice ever since. For about ten years he was in partnership with Dr. M., F. Wakefield, who was one of the first practitioners at Savannah, a well known man and at the time of death accounted one of the wealthiest men of Andrew County. Another of the early physicians of the county was Doctor Smith, a cousin of Doctor Martin by marriage. The profession was not greatly crowded at that time and its emoluments in those days in no way recompensed the physicians for the hardships they endured. Doctor Martin built up a very substantial practice and acquired a reputation for medical skill that carried his name to other counties. He has practiced under three different registers and was the first health officer appointed in Andrew County, this precaution being taken by the authorities after an epidemic of smallpox. He is identified with several medical bodies, including the St. Joseph Medical Society and the Missouri State Medical Society. His acquaintance is wide over the county and in many households his name is held in affectionate regard because of his faithfulness in times of dire illness.
In 1866 Doctor Martin was married to Miss Louisa Goodloe, who died in 1869, survived by two sons: J. L., who resides on the old Martin homestead in Lincoln Township; and Joseph, who is a resident of Nodaway Township, Andrew County. In 1890 Doctor Martin married Miss Sarah Elizabeth Compton, a native of Iowa. For many years Doctor Martin has been a Master Mason, but otherwise has not identified himself with secret organizations. His life has been a busy one, happy in the fulfillment of his early ambition, and useful and beneficial to his fellowmen.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1645-1647; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


John C. McCallon. Has a creditable record for industry, perseverance and integrity. With the exception of several years his entire life has been passed within the borders of this county, and during the past seven years he has lived on the farm which he now occupies, located in section 8, Nodaway Township. Mr. McCallon is a native son of Andrew County, born in Clay Township, January 29, 1850, a son of John C. and Mary Jane (Dunlap) McCallon.
John C. McCallon was born in the State of Tennessee, in 1818, and as a young man migrated to Andrew County, Missouri, where he was married in 1845 to Jane Dunlap, who had been born in Tennessee in 1825 and came to Missouri with an aunt at the age of eighteen years. After their marriage the parents located on a farm which Mr. McCallon had entered from the United States Government, a tract of 160 acres in Clay Township on which Isaac L. McCallon was born. During the time of the gold excitement, in 1850, Mr. McCallon made the long and dangerous trip overland to the gold fields of California, and there remained three years, but was only moderately successful in his search for the yellow metal, and in 1853 returned to his Missouri home. There he continued his agricultural labors for about eight years, but the outbreak of the Civil war and the attending unpleasantness between the rival factions in Missouri caused him to remove his family to Iowa, where they resided for four years. When peace was declared they returned to the homestead and Mr. McCallon continued his farming operations until his death, in 1889, the mother having passed away during the previous year. Mr. McCallon was a successful business man, won success through persevering industry, and at the time of his death was the owner of a half-section of valuable and productive land. He was a democrat in his political views, but not an office seeker. Both he and his wife are remembered as honest, God-fearing people and faithful members of the Presbyterian Church.
They were the parents of twelve children, namely: Robert, who died at the age of five years; Sarah Vaughn, who is deceased; Isaac L., of this review; Phoebe Ousley, deceased; Wilson K. and Calvin, twins, both deceased, the latter in childhood; Annie Stephens, deceased; John, a resident of Clay Township, Andrew County; James, a resident of Oklahoma; Mary, who died in childhood; Walter of Clay Township; and Cora Gossett, of Holt County, Missouri.
Isaac L. McCallon received his early education in the little log subscription school in Clay Township, his first teacher being Jeff Mills and his second James Ewing. He later attended the "Institute," in Clay Township, erected by stockholders in the community, but the outbreak of the war caused him to give up his studies and go to Iowa with the family. On their return to Clay Township, he remained under the parental roof until his marriage, shortly after which he went to Kansas, and there spent four years in farming, but soon returned to Clay Township and continued farming there until 1907, when he came to his present farm of twenty-six acres located in section 8, Nodaway Township, one-half mile west of Savannah. He still, however, owns 275 acres of well-improved land in Clay Township. Mr. McCallon, in addition to carrying on general farming, has been interested in stock and has raised and fed high-grade cattle, hogs, mules and horses. His improvements cover a wide range of years and are of a thoroughly practical and dependable nature, his farms have profited by his wise application and untiring industry, and his present home reflects the qualities which have brought him success and standing among his fellow-men. Mr. McCallon is a democrat and has taken an interest in his party's success, although not as a candidate for official position. With his family, he attends the Presbyterian Church.
In 1877 Mr. McCallon was married to Miss Elizabeth Clare, who was born in Kentucky, January 17, 1858, and came to Missouri with her parents in childhood, she being a daughter of James and Sarah (Collier) Clare, natives of Kentucky. Mr. Clare, who is a retired farmer, resides at Bolckow, Missouri, while Mrs. Clare died on the farm in Andrew County, in 1898. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. McCallon: Emma, who is the wife of Norman Cole, both being graduates of the State University and now teachers in the public schools of Idaho; John W., who is engaged in farming in Clay Township; Rev. Frank C., a minister, in charge of the Christian Church at Lenox, Iowa; Lafayette, who died in 1908, at the age of twenty-two years; Clifford, a resident of Nebraska; and Grace and Walter, at home. All the children are graduates of the high school.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1751-1753; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Gilbert McDaniel. A career of business efficiency and success that marked him out as one of the ablest men of Andrew County was terminated with the death of Gilbert McDaniel at his home in Savannah, December 6, 1912. A man of sterling character, he was honorable in business, stanch in his friendship, sincere in his religious profession and true to every trust, and with his passing an entire community was bereaved.
Gilbert McDaniel was born on a farm near Whitesville in Andrew County, February 26, 1857, and was in his fifty-sixth year when death called him. His parents were John and Mary (McClanahan) McDaniel, natives of Tennessee. His father moved from Tennessee to Cooper County, Missouri, and married there, and later moved to Andrew County, one of the early farmer settlers of this section. Gilbert McDaniel lost his mother when he was about three years of age, and was reared by a stepmother who was in every sense a true mother to him. In 1865 the McDaniel family moved to a farm south of Savannah.
Gilbert McDaniel spent all his career in Andrew County, attended the district schools as a boy, and completed his education in the State Normal School at Kirksville. For several years he was active as a teacher. In all his varied relations and activities he displayed a personality, a genius for making friends, and an integrity which entitled him to the thorough confidence of all who knew him. In 1905 Mr. McDaniel became cashier of the Exchange Bank at Savannah, an institution which had been organized in 1902. Within the few years that covered Mr. McDaniel's connection with the institution it rose from a place among the smaller financial establishments of Andrew County to first place among the county's banks, and it is said that the efficient management of Mr. McDaniel and his popular qualities and standing in the community had more to do with the prosperity of the bank than any other one factor.
Gilbert McDaniel was affiliated with the Masonic Order. There were many tributes, sincere and admiring, paid to his memory at the time of his death, and a brief characterization that sums up some of his especial qualities is contained in the following resolution from an order of which he was a member: ''His genial personality and superior ability in business relations and his optimistic and comforting greetings to acquaintances and friends will be treasured by each and the memory of him will never perish nor the results of his good deeds diminish. He always kept his own troubles to himself, for those about him were never asked to share them, but he was ever ready to help and disperse the burdens of others and was generous to a fault to his friends and his family."
In 1879 the late Mr. McDaniel married Jennie Ham. She was born in the Province of Ontario, Canada, eighteen miles north of Kingston, August 21, 1852, a daughter of Simeon and Eliza (Scott) Ham, both natives of Ontario. When she was fourteen years of age her parents moved to Missouri in 1866, locating near Mexico, and she finished her education in the Kirksville Normal School. For ten years she was a successful teacher in the schools of Andrew County, where her father spent his last years as a farmer. Mrs. McDaniel survived her husband. She was the mother of eight children, and two of them, Paul and Mabel, died in infancy. The surviving children are: Lawrence, Mrs. W. T. Fling, Mrs. Carl Gee, John, Mary and Allen.
The son Lawrence was educated at Savannah and in the law department of the University of Missouri, and is now a successful attorney at St. Louis, having been recently honored by selection as one of the assistants to the circuit attorney of St. Louis County. He has been active in democratic politics, and his professional work gives promise of a brilliant career.
The daughter Clara, now the wife of Walter T. Fling, a Savannah jeweler, was graduated from the Savannah High School and from Howard Payne College, and also took a business course in Drake University at Des Moines. Mildred G., the wife of Carl Gee, a well known farmer north of Savannah, is also a graduate of the Savannah High School. The son John graduated from the Savannah High School, took a course in agriculture at the University of Missouri, and is now a successful and scientific farmer on the old homestead, comprising 100 acres, six miles south of Savannah. The daughter Mary is a graduate of the Savannah High School, of the Scarrett Bible and Training School at Kansas City, and is now taking the medical course in the State University, preparatory to a career as a missionary. The son Allen is a boy of exceptional talent in music and is a student at the American Conservatory in Chicago.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg.1658-1659; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Henry B. McDonald and Dudley S. McDonald. One of the long established and prominent families in Andrew County in the vicinity of Savannah is the McDonalds, and their home farm, known as Elm Place, south of the county seat, is a well-known landmark in that section. The McDonalds through three generations have had many interesting experiences in Missouri and the western country, and the more important facts in the family history are appropriately related in the following paragraphs.
Henry Buford McDonald was born near Harrodsburg, Mercer County, Kentucky, May 23, 1844. His parents were Daniel and Martha (McMurtry) McDonald, both of whom were natives of the adjoining county of Washington in the same state. Daniel McDonald was born August 13, 1803, and died at what is known as the Jimtown Farm in Andrew County, October 24, 1876.
His wife was born May 21, 1804, and died June 3, 1873, also at the Jimtown place.
Henry B. McDonald was educated in the common schools of Kentucky, and during the terms of 1859 and 1860 attended the Kentucky University, then situated at Harrodsburg. The battle of Perryville in the fall of 1862 was fought within ten miles of his father's home. About a year after that battle Henry B. McDonald moved from Kentucky to St. Joseph, Missouri, arriving in the latter part of September, 1863. The winter of 1863-64 he spent clerking in the store of his brother, R. L. McDonald, at St. Joseph.
They had two wagons loaded with drug supplies for the same market. In 1864 there was an immense emigration to the West, and the McDonald party was never out of sight of covered wagons throughout the journey along the Platte River. For about one week they were delayed at Julesburg by the high waters of the South Platte River, which at that point was nearly two miles wide. It was possible to swim the mules across, but it cost ten dollars for each wagon, which was taken over on a flat boat.
Salt Lake City was reached July 16th, and they remained there three weeks awaiting the arrival of Henry's brother, R. L. The goods were sold in Salt Lake, and the wagons were likewise disposed of with the exception of two. From Salt Lake Mr. McDonald went on west, accompanied by his brother to Austin, Nevada. There Dr. Silas McDonald and son and R. L. took a stage for California, while Henry B. remained about six weeks in Nevada. This delay was to take advantage of the abundant grasses found in Nevada, on which the mules were recruited. In the latter part of October he started for California, and after a hard trip over the Sierra Nevada mountains, on account of scarcity of feed, he arrived in Sacramento the day of the presidential election of 1864. For several preceding years most of the California country had suffered from drought, and feed was very scarce. Consequently he drove his mules down in Sonoma County, where they were fed during the winter on straw from the good crops of oats and barley made possible by the fogs from the ocean. In the spring the mules, being in fine condition, were sold and delivered to the Government at the Presidio in San Francisco.
On June 5, 1865, Henry B. McDonald left San Francisco, and after a hard stage trip arrived in St. Joseph, July 1. On the 7th of April, 1865, his father had come from Kentucky to Missouri and bought a farm south of Birds Mill in Andrew County. The son remained with his father on this farm until 1872, in which year they all moved to what is known as the Jimtown Farm north of St. Joseph, now owned by R. L. McDonald, a brother of Henry. As already stated, it was on the Jimtown Farm that the parents died in 1873.
On June 20, 1877, Mr. McDonald married Sarah Emily Rogers. She was the daughter of Edward Payne and Joanna (Steele) Rogers, both of whom were natives of Woodford County, Kentucky, where they were married. The Rogers children were: Mary Bowman Wilson and Sarah Emily McDonald, both natives of Mercer County, Kentucky, Sarah Emily having been born December 25, 1853, and after the Rogers family moved to Andrew County a son, John Bowman, was born. Mr. Rogers bought a farm in Andrew County near the old Rochester Road, but subsequently sold that and moved to St. Joseph. Edward Payne Rogers died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. McDonald August 18, 1895 while Joanna Steele Rogers died July 12, 1900. Mrs. McDonald was married at the home of D. M. Steele in St. Joseph.
In the spring of 1880 Mr. and Mrs. McDonald, with their two children, and with Mr. Edward Rogers and a colored girl named Louisa Mosley, started for Montana. From St. Joseph they went as far as Yankton by railway, taking with them thirty head of Shorthorn cattle. Creek Ranch was the  McDonald home in Montana for almost five years. During that time the family made a trip in a covered wagon to Yellowstone Park, and spent six weeks enjoying the delights of that great natural park. In 1881 Mr. McDonald bought over four hundred head of cattle to run on his range, and three years later, the price of cattle having advanced and the range having become short, he sold out and also disposed of the ranch.
He then returned to Missouri, arriving February 22, 1885. For almost two years he was again located on the Jimtown Farm, but in the fall of 1886 purchased a farm in Andrew County, one mile south of Savannah, known as the China Clark Place, and the family took possession the same fall. Mrs. Henry McDonald named this farm Elm Place, and not only the trees but many other surroundings and improvements give it an attractiveness which marks it out among the country homes of Andrew County. Mrs. Henry McDonald died August 24, 1890.
To their union had been born four sons and two daughters: Dudley Steele and Mary Lydia, who were both born on the Jimtown Farm; Rufus Lee and Joanna Steele, who were born on the Rock Creek Ranch in Montana; Henry Buford, born after the family returned to the Jimtown place; and William Wallace, who was born at Elm Place. The youngest child died at Elm Place March 29, 1895. Mr. Henry B. McDonald was converted at a meeting held in Jimtown by Rev. T. M. Miller and Rev. Jesse Bird in the year 1865, and joined and helped to build the church at Fairview. From there his membership was transferred to the Presbyterian Church at Savannah, where it has since remained.
In the fullness of his three -score years and ten and after comfort, peace and plenty had succeeded to the varied experiences and vicissitudes of the career which has just been sketched, Henry B. McDonald was called away by death on December 1, 1914. Both during his active lifetime and at his death there were many substantial evidence's of his high standing as a man and citizen. His useful career has ended, and its influences are now transmitted through his children.
Of the children, Dudley S. is now operating the Elm Place Farm, and has gained a more than local reputation as a successful stock raiser, especially in cattle and hogs. Dudley is a democrat, and married Grace Maxwell. The daughter, Mary Lydia, is the widow of Charles I. Rowe of Omaha. Rufus married Miss Jessie Laney, lives in Itasca County, Minnesota, and has four children named William Dudley, Virginia Lee, Wallace M. and Roger L. The daughter, Joanna S., is the wife of Dr. R. L. Laney of Virginia, Minnesota. Henry B., Jr., lives in Rocky Ford, Colorado.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1709-1710; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


John T. McElwain. Now living retired and quietly enjoying the fruits of a well spent life at Helena in Andrew County, John T. McElwain, who is a veteran of the great Civil war, was incapacitated for further service about the middle of the struggle by wounds, returned to his native State of Ohio, and a few years later, in 1871, came out to Northwest Missouri. Mr. McElwain for nearly forty years was one of the prosperous and active farmers of Rochester township in Andrew County, and long years of industry, honorable dealing with his fellow men, and strict observance of the principles of integrity have given him a high esteem in this community.
John T. McElwain was born near Washington Courthouse in Fayette County, Ohio, January 22, 1836. His parents were John T. and Eleanor (Todhunter) McElwain. His father was a native of Kentucky. Having a daughter who married Robert Parker of New Mexico; John T.; Maria Jane, widow of Andrew Glasgow, of Osborn, Missouri; Eliza, widow of William Stone of Kansas; Euseba, who married William Hinkson, and both are now deceased; Sarah Minerva, who married Scott Orr of Florida; Samuel Q. of Newark, Ohio; Thomas Nesbit, who died at the age of eight years; and Alfred Jackson, who lives in Ohio.
John T. McElwain grew up on his father's farm in Ohio, lived with his parents until twenty-four, and soon after the outbreak of the war between the states enlisted October 17, 1861, in Company D of the Forty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Capt. F. M. Posegate's company. He saw eighteen months of active service, and was twice wounded. He was in the great battle of Shiloh on the memorable Sunday, the first day of that struggle, and while fighting was struck by a bullet in the jaw, breaking the jaw bone. He carried that bullet for seven days before it was extracted. He was sent home on a thirty-day furlough, and then rejoined the army in time to take part in the siege of Corinth, marched through Tennessee to the city of Memphis, where he was stationed five months, and then followed Sherman on his first attack against Vicksburg. He fell back with the troops to Arkansas Post, and there was again wounded by the same kind of bullet which struck him at Shiloh, this time in the right hand. Mr. MeElwain still keeps as relics of his military experience these two balls. On account of his wounds he received an honorable discharge in May, 1863, at Mound City, Illinois, and then returned home, being incapacitated for labor for nearly a year. Mr. MeElwain for his services as a soldier received at first a pension of four dollars per month, and it has gradually been increased with increasing years until he now gets twenty-seven dollars a month.
His years were spent in farming in Ohio until he moved to Missouri, and in the fall of 1871 located in Rochester Township of Andrew County. His business interests have been gradually expanding, and at the present time he owns two fine farms, one comprising eighty acres and the other 125 acres, while his wife owns a place of 120 acres. All three of these farms are in Rochester Township. About five years ago Mr. McElwain and wife left the country and have since lived retired in the village of Helena, where they own and occupy an attractive and comfortable home.
Mr. MeElwain has always affiliated with the republican party since the war, but has never sought nor held public office. He and his wife are members of the Long Branch Christian Church, in which he has served as deacon for many years. He was active in the Grand Army Post until it was disbanded.
On October 17, 1867, Mr. MeElwain married Mary J. Harris. Mrs. MeElwain was born in Clinton County, Ohio, March 14, 1838, a daughter of Lewis and Clarissa (Patten) Harris. Her father was born in Kentucky and her mother in Ohio, and both died in the latter state. Mr. and Mrs. MeElwain are the parents of two children: Harry and Frank Martin. The latter was born April 1, 1877, and died January 12, 1896. The son Harry is now a merchant at Helena. He married Stella Zimmerman, and they are the parents of seven children, named Beulah, Lola, Pearl, Bernice, Thelma, Margaret and Opal Fern.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1738-1739; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Jacob O. Miller. Among the public officials of Andrew County who have won the commendation and favorable criticism of their fellow citizens by the manner in which they have discharged the duties of office, Jacob O. Miller is entitled to more than passing consideration. In the capacity of superintendent of the county farm, now one of the best equipped and most commodious in the state, he has not only demonstrated his entire capacity to successfully handle the business end of his office, but has also shown an interest in the personal welfare of his charges, which has done much to lighten their burdens and make life more comfortable for them.
Mr. Miller has been a resident of Andrew County all of his life, having been born here on his father’s homestead on November 6, 1875 which he added from time to time as the years passed, until at one time he owned and operated 900 acres and was known as one of the substantial men of his community. When he came to Missouri he was the owner of fifteen or twenty slaves, and with the German thrift that he had inherited from his ancestors he placed these to work operating a mill at Rochester, of which he was the owner for several years. He was the father of five sons and three daughters.
This was one of the families which divided upon the issues of the Civil war, all of the sons joining the ranks of the Confederacy as soldiers except William K., who served in the Union army. One of the boys, Samuel, met a soldier's death, being mortally wounded in action. The maternal grandfather of Jacob O. Miller was a native of either Germany or Ohio and emigrated to Missouri at an early day, there passing the rest of his life as a farmer and machinist. He had a large family, and one of his sons, Capt. Adam Flesher, raised a company which was first put into the Missouri State Militia and later joined the regular service at Lexington. There were nine sons and two daughters in the family of William K. and Louisa Miller, and of these all are living except one boy, and all, with the exception of one in California, live in Missouri.
Jacob O. Miller was given the advantages of a public school education, and was brought up to the pursuits of the farm, being engaged on the homestead until his marriage. At that time he bought a farm in Rochester Township, on which he carried on operations until appointed to his present position, January 1, 1914. The buildings on the county farm were formerly of frame and rather small, but the county has just completed a new $30,000 home, into which the county charges moved in December, 1914. This is a large, modern, fire-proof building, with every convenience and comfort for the inmates. Under Mr. Miller's management the affairs of the farm are progressing in a very satisfactory manner. While he is a strict disciplinarian, he also takes a kindly and genuine interest in the welfare of his people, who, in turn, have come to respect and esteem him. Politically a republican, Mr. Miller was at one time a candidate for sheriff of Andrew County, but the opposing party was heavily in the majority,' and he met defeat at the polls, although he received a very gratifying vote. He is a member of the Christian Church at Long Branch, and has been very active in Sunday school work. Fraternally he is connected with the local lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias.
On May 3, 1899, Mr. Miller was united in marriage with Miss Eva Dickson, who was born in Andrew County, Missouri, January 7, 1883, daughter of John B. and Mary C. (Hurst) Dickson, the former born in Tennessee in 1859. He came to Missouri with his parents at the age of ten years, and was engaged in farming in Clay Township, Andrew County, until his death, which occurred March 23, 1900. Mrs. Dickson, who is a daughter of Elijah Hurst, formerly of Savannah, and one of the earliest pioneers of the county, lived in this county, where she was born in 1862, until 1914, when she moved to her present residence in the vicinity of Los Angeles, California. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are the parents of two children: Raymond and Neva.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1839-1840; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


John A. Miller. The present efficient and popular county clerk of Andrew County is a scion in the third generation of one of the sterling pioneer families of this county, with whose history the name of Miller has been intimately and worthily linked for nearly seventy years, the maternal ancestors of Mr. Miller likewise having been early settlers of the county and his parents having been children at the time of the removal of the respective families from Indiana to this state. In addition to serving as county clerk, to which office he was reelected, for his second term, in the autumn of 1914, Mr. Miller is numbered among the most progressive and enterprising business men of the thriving little city of Savannah, judicial headquarters and metropolis of his native county. He is here engaged in the buying and shipping of grain and is the owner of a well equipped grain elevator.  He was a patriot soldier in the War of the Revolution. The Burns family was early founded in North Carolina, and was represented in the pioneer settlement of Indiana, as was also the Miller family.
William T. Miller was a lad of ten years when he came with his parents to Andrew County, where he was reared to maturity on the pioneer farm that continued to be the home of his parents until their death. With the passing years he gained prominence as one of the substantial agriculturists and stock-growers of the county and he continued to reside on his well improved homestead farm until three years prior to his death, the closing period of his life having been passed in well earned retirement, in Savannah, where he died on the 30th of May. 1912, at the venerable age of seventy-six years, his widow still maintaining her home in this city and being a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which her husband likewise was a zealous adherent, his political allegiance having been given to the republican party. Of the five children, John A., of this review, is the eldest; Chester A. resides in Savannah; Benjamin R. is identified successfully with farming enterprise in this county; Roy A. is engaged in the grocery business at Savannah; and Mary is the wife of Wirt Ball, of Savannah.
John A. Miller was reared to adult age on the homestead farm and acquired his early education in the public schools of his native county. In 1888, at the age of twenty-six years, Mr. Miller removed to Holt County, where he remained thirteen years, at the expiration of which, in 1900, he established his business at Fillmore, Andrew County, where he became actively identified with the milling business, both as an executive and a practical miller. For three years he was engaged in the same line of enterprise at Whitesville, this county, and in 1910, upon his election to the office of county clerk, he established his home at Savannah, the county seat, where he has since continued the incumbent of this important office, to which he was reelected in the fall of 1914, for a second term of four years. Here also he has been engaged actively and successfully in the grain business since 1907, and, with his elevator facilities of excellent order, he controls a substantial and profitable business.
Mr. Miller is an ardent supporter of the cause of the Republican Party and is one of its influential workers in his native county. He is a Master Mason and affiliated also with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1885 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Miller to Miss Sadie E. Sayers, who was born in Pennsylvania, a daughter of John Sayers, and who was a child of six years at the time of the family removal to Andrew County, Missouri, where she was reared and educated. Mr. and Mrs. Miller became the parents of three children, of whom the second in order of birth was Jessie C., the only daughter. She was born February 24, 1891, and was summoned to the life eternal on the 20th of November, 1906. William S., elder of the two sons, was a student in the electrical engineering department of the University of Missouri for one and a half years and is now one of the progressive young farmers of his native county. On the 20th of December, 1911, he wedded Miss Ella Caldwell, and they have one child—Jessie Bernice. Ray, the younger son, served three years as his father's deputy in the office of county clerk and is now taking' a course in the agricultural department of the University of Missouri.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1654-1655; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Eugene Mueller. An ever increasing prosperity has attended the well-directed efforts of Eugene Mueller since his arrival in Andrew County in 1889. To this community he brought an earnest purpose and worthy ambition, and he has not only been successful in the accumulation of a good farm of 160 acres, located in Jefferson Township, three miles south of Savannah, but has also taken an active part in the affairs of the community, so that he is known as a public-spirited and helpful citizen.
Mr. Mueller is a native of Germany, born in Boblingen, Wurttemberg, November 17, 1861, and is a son of Christian and Ernestine (Geschwindt) Mueller, natives of Nagold Wurttemberg, the father born August 1, 1826, and the mother July 14, 1834. There both passed away, Mr. Mueller October 18, 1886, and his wife September 22, 1908. During his early life Christian Mueller received a good education and adopted the profession of architecture, but later became postmaster at Boblingen and also owned a farming property, on which he kept about twenty-five head of horses. Prior to the advent of the railroads he was engaged in carrying mail and passengers to different points, but when his father-in-law died he disposed of his own interests in order to look after those of Mr. Geschwindt, which included a hotel and post business at Nagold. He and his wife were the parents of three sons and three daughters, namely: Pauline, in Germany; Eugene, of this review; Ernestine, who married in Germany and still resides there; Carl Felix, a resident of Germany; Beatrice Elise Hettler, a widow with two children who came to the United States in 1913 and now makes her home with Mr. Mueller; and Wilhelm Heinrich, who is a soldier in the German army and is at present participating in the great European war.
Eugene Mueller grew up on big farms in Germany, attended agricultural college and secured a high school education, which entitled him to a one-year's service in the regular German army.
In 1882 he came to the United States, a single man and alone, and for two years was employed at St. Joseph, Missouri, subsequently spending a like period as a hand on Missouri farms. The death of his father, in 1886 called him back to Germany, where he conducted the elder man's business,
He has devoted his attention to general farming and the raising of a good breed of stock, and in both lines has met with the prosperity that comes to men of intelligence, ability and industry. Mr. Mueller became a citizen of the United States as soon as he could secure his citizenship papers, and since then has generally supported republican candidates, although in local affairs he exercises his prerogative in giving his vote to the man he deems best fitted for office. For himself, he has not sought public honors, but has been a willing worker in movements which have promised to culminate in civic betterment. He was reared a Lutheran, but now attends the German Reformed Church at Amazonia. Mr. Mueller holds membership in the C. P. A.
In 1890 Mr. Mueller was married to Miss Anna Reichert, who was born in Wurttemberg, Germany, March 7, 1871, came to the United States in 1889, and died January 5, 1913. She was a third cousin of her husband, and they were the parents of six children, namely: Ernestine, who died at the age of twelve years; Herman F., who resides with his father and is his assistant in the work of the home place; Frank, who died at the age of six years; a child who died in infancy; and Albert C. and Bertha Anna, who reside at home.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1753-1754; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


James Franklin Munkres. The claim of James Franklin Munkres upon the good will and confidence of the people of Andrew County rests upon his long residence here, his high standing as a public-spirited and stirring citizen, the success of his labors and the development of a good agricultural property, and the straightforward manner in which all of his dealings have been carried on. Mr. Munkres is now the owner of Brookdale Farm, a well-cultivated tract of land located in section 26, Benton Township, which has been developed under his supervision into one of the really valuable properties of this locality.
Born in Clay County, Missouri, October 12, 1854, Mr. Munkres is a son of William and Frances Jane (Thorpe) Munkres, both of which families were represented in Howard County, Missouri, as early as November, 1819, or two years before the admission of the state to the Union. The Munkres family originated in Cornwall, England, and came to the shores of America, settling at Jamestown, Virginia. The great-grandfather of James Franklin Munkres, William Munkres, was a native of Virginia, served as a soldier throughout the War of the Revolution, and in his declining years came to Clay County, Missouri, dying at the home of one of his sons. The maternal grandparents of Mr. Munkres, John and Elizabeth (Crowley) Thorpe, came from Tennessee to Missouri about the same time as the Munkres, and the family history is practically the same, the family having originated in England and gone thence to Virginia.
Elizabeth (Crowley) Thorpe was a sister of Sam Crowley, a sketch of whose life appears elsewhere in this work. The paternal grandfather both he and the grandmother passed away. They reared a family of ten children, as follows: James, William, Redmond, John, David, Washington, Melvin, Mary, Louisa and Rachael. William Munkres, the father of James F. Munkres, was born in Tennessee in April, 1813, was six years of age when the family moved to Howard County, Missouri, and subsequently went to Clay County, where he continued to have interests throughout his life, although in 1858 he moved to Andrew County, where he was engaged in farming until his death, at the home of his son, in 1894. Mrs. Munkres, who was born in Holt County, Missouri, in 1828, died in Clay County in January, 1856, aged twenty-eight years.
James Franklin Munkres, the only child of his parents, was two years of age when his mother died, and for about three years thereafter resided with his grandparents. In 1860 he came to Andrew County, Missouri, and for about ten years boarded around at different houses, while he was securing his education in the public schools, and William Jewell College, at Liberty, Missouri, which he attended about two years. In 1868 Mr. Munkres and his father began "baching it" on the farm, and thus continued until the marriage of the younger man, when he set up an establishment of his own. Mr. Munkres has continued to be engaged in general farming and stockraising, and has met with good success in each department, raising large crops of grain annually and feeding large herds of stock. Brookdale Farm is a tract of 240 acres, the northwest quarter of section 26, and the south quarter of the southwest quarter of section 23, township 61, range 35, 1 and 1/3 miles northwest of Rosendale. Here are located fine, substantial buildings, including a handsome residence, located on an elevation, sixty-eight rods from the highway, with a grove and creek to the south of the residence. Mr. Munkres is a skilled and practical farmer, ready at all times to experiment with new discoveries and inventions, and keeping fully abreast of his vocation. He is a democrat in his political views, and has served capably as justice of the peace for one term and as a member of the school board for twenty years.
On October 6, 1878, Mr. Munkres was married to Miss Mary A. Wilhelm, who was born in Andrew County, Missouri, March 19, 1860, a daughter of Ferdinand and Anna (Benner) Wilhelm, the former a native of Stotzen, and the latter of Hirschleheim, both towns in the Province of Hanover, Germany. They were married in St. Charles County, Missouri, December 24,1847, and both died in Andrew County, the father in 1874, when fifty-nine years of age, and the mother June 24, 1909, when eighty-four years of age, at the home of her son-in-law, Mr. Munkres, with whom she had resided for fourteen years. They were the parents of one son and four daughters: J. L., a resident of Benton Township; Helen C., the wife of Jacob Schunek, of Benton Township; Henrietta D., who was the wife of Owen Deardoff and is now deceased; Elizabeth, deceased, who was the wife of J. B. Guinn; and Mrs. Munkres. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Munkres: Clara C., born July 11, 1879, a teacher in the public schools of Andrew County, educated at Gallatin (Missouri) College and the business college at Shenandoah, Iowa; Nellie C., born August 30, 1881, who graduated from Grand Business College, received instruction in instrumental music, and is now a teacher of music; and Anna Frances, born February 7, 1892, educated in the Savannah High School, married Frank E. Johnson, in February, 1910, resides at Bolckow, and has one daughter,—Mary Louise. Both Mr. and Mrs. Munkres are well educated, she being a graduate of Savannah High School, and he having been a school teacher in the rural schools of Andrew County, in 1875 and 1876 and the winter of 1877 and 1878.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1775-1776; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Dr. Walter C. MyersWalter C. Myers, M. D. No other profession is of such ancient dignity as is that of medicine and it invites to its service men of learning and ability, often returning but few rewards in material things for the preparation and self sacrifice it demands, and not always bestowing the honors fairly won. Nevertheless the call to this profession is insistent and it seems, sometimes, as if the call might be an inherited one, for in many families other and more promising careers are presented only to be turned aside by several generations for that of the healing art. Of such ancestry is Ur. Walter C. Myers, an eminent physician and surgeon of Savannah, whose medical knowledge and achievements reflect credit upon his ancestors.
Walter C. Myers was born January 26, 1876, at Uhrichsville, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and is a son of J. C. and Martha A. (Campbell) Myers, the latter of whom was born at Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, and died at Troy, Kansas, in 1910. The father of Doctor Myers was born at Uhrichsville, Ohio, and is now a leading practitioner of dentistry at Troy, Kansas. He began the study of his profession with Doctor McKinley, who was a resident of Uhrichsville and an uncle of the late President William McKinley, and afterward completed his course at Columbus, Ohio. His brother, Dr. James Myers, is a retired physician of Hutchinson, Kansas, and his uncle, Dr. John Myers, was an eminent early physician and surgeon near New Philadelphia, Ohio. He married into a medical family, four of his wife's brothers being physicians, two of whom, Doctor William and Dr. O. B. Campbell, resided in St. Joseph, Missouri, but the latter is now deceased. Of the three children born to his parents, Walter C. is the only son. He has two sisters: Mary Elberta, who is the wife of R. B. Castle, of Kansas City; and Adaline E., who is the wife of Oscar Dubaseh, of Troy, Kansas.
Walter C. Myers was two years old when his parents, in 1878, moved to Highland, Kansas, two years later settling permanently at Troy, where he passed his boyhood and educational training, completing the high school course. From childhood he believed that his mission was to become a physician, this impression being so strong that his boyish comrades dubbed him "doctor" in their play. He was happy in having a tender, devoted and ambitious mother, and it was at her knee he learned his first lessons in anatomy and physiology and through her encouragement decided to become a medical student under his uncle, Dr. O. B. Campbell, at St. Joseph, Missouri, and in 1898 was graduated from the Central Medical College of that city, and for ten years was engaged in a general practice at Rea, Andrew County, Missouri, during that time continuing his studies and scientific investigations and taking post graduate courses as opportunity offered. In 1906 he spent the summer in special laboratory work, in Chicago, and after he came to Savannah, took a regular post graduate course in the New York Post Graduate College in 1906, also took a clinical course under Doctors Mayo, at Rochester, Minnesota, subsequently taking a special course on tuberculosis, at Chicago, under Doctor McMichael. In fact, whenever friends miss him or patients clamor for him during certain portions of the summer, when many of both think of recreation in some chosen restful place, they may easily guess that he is hard at work in some famous distant clinic or, in their interest, spending days and nights in study with his test tubes and microscopes. The effect of this constant investigation and close study at first hand has given him qualifications that have proven far reaching in his ministrations to the sick of Savannah and probably Andrew County has never had a more competent health officer. He has served one term also as county coroner, elected on the republican ticket, but has never been very active in the political field.
Doctor Myers was united in marriage in September, 1913, to Miss Georgia Newman, who was born at Savannah, Missouri, and is a daughter of William Newman. Doctor and Mrs. Myers have one son, Victor Campbell Myers. Doctor Myers is a valued member of the Buchanan County, the Missouri State and the American Medical associations. A man of cultivated tastes he enjoys congenial companionship in many circles and has the pleasing personality that wins friends. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, the Odd Fellows at Savannah, and the Elks at St. Joseph.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1490-1491; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.