Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Biographies

" N "

Michael Nester. A short time before the war the Nester family became identified with Andrew County. The parents were thrifty and capable Irish people, were both from County Limerick, and the course of their destiny finally directed them to this section of Northwest Missouri. For many years the Nester home in Lincoln Township has possessed the distinctions associated with upright and thrifty people, members of church, moral, law abiding members of the community, and people who have added something to the community in which they live.
The family was founded here by the late Patrick Nester, who was born in County Limerick, Ireland, a son of Patrick Nester. Patrick senior died in this country, while his wife subsequently returned and died in Ireland. Patrick junior was an only child. He learned the trade of shoemaker, though he never followed that to any extent. For several years he worked as a laborer in Washington, D. C., and while there in 1853 married Margaret Lysaught, who was born in County Limerick, August 15, 1835, and came to Washington, D. C., at the age of twelve years, with a younger sister Jane. Their mother had died and she and her sister came to this country to join an older brother, John Lysaught, who was at that time married and living in Washington. Patrick Nester during his residence in Washington was employed for the most part by a florist, and was a competent man in that business. He finally removed to Kansas City, Missouri, and there continued along the same line, then went up the river to St. Joseph, and a short time before the war located on Nodaway Island in Lincoln Township of Andrew County. That was the locality in which his business as a farmer was carried on until 1881, when the high waters in the Missouri Valley of that year almost completely destroyed his farm. He then bought a place away from the river, comprising 126 acres, and his wife bought forty acres more. By that time he and his wife had a family of vigorous young sons and daughters, and the management of the land was largely in the hands of the sons. In that home Patrick Nester died September 6, 1901. He was an active democrat, and a member of the Catholic Church. There was no church in his locality, but a priest came from St. Joseph once a month to hold services, and that custom has prevailed for thirty years or more. The Nester home is the center of worship for all the Catholic communicants residing in that vicinity.
Patrick Nester and wife were the parents of nine children, only two of whom married. James, who was born in Washington, D. C., in 1856, and died at the age of seventeen in Andrew County; Patrick, who was born in 1858 in Kansas City and died on the home farm in Andrew County, June 4, 1911; Maggie, who is the wife of Frederick Wigham of St. Joseph; Michael; William, who lives at home; John; Thomas; David; and Mary. Four of the children died in early childhood. Mrs. Patrick Nester is a daughter of Patrick and Johanna (Knurth) Lysaught, both of whom spent all their lives in County Limerick. There were three sons and eight daughters in the family, and they all came to the United States, their names being as follows: John, Michael, Patrick, Bridget, Johanna, Ellen, Ann, Kate, Honora, Jane and Margaret.
Michael Nester, whose fine farm home is located in section 17 of where he resides. The purchase price of this was $1,200, and he was able to pay only $400 down, and at once began the task of making a living and paying off the indebtedness. It was a place that had long been occupied, and the house and other improvements were old and in a poor condition. He bettered the improvements as rapidly as possible, paid off the debt, and with the surplus of his increasing prosperity invested in more land, until he now has 219 acres, all well improved. At one time Mr. Nester had sixty acres of apple orchard but has reduced this to about eighteen acres. The rest of his farm is devoted to grain and stock, and he is considered one of the most successful farmers in Lincoln Township. Politically he has always been identified with the Democratic Party. His mother is now living at Nodaway Station, and is about eighty years of age.
Michael Nester was married in 1891 to Ida Elizabeth Steeby, who was born in Lincoln Township, March 24, 1873, a daughter of Gottlieb and Mary (Moser) Steeby. Mr. Steeby was one of the fine old pioneer citizens of Andrew County, and a sketch of his career will be found on other pages of this publication. He died November 8, 1913, and his wife July 26, 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Nester lost six children in infancy and three still living are John Harold, Lola Margaret and Alexander W.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1974-1975; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Charles B. Newburn. A resident of Andrew County. Charles B. Newburn, was born January 18, 1756, and died June 2, 1820, his ancestors being from Wales in England. Tamer Newburn, his wife, was born March 30, 1761, and died August 15, 1837. To them were born eleven children as follows: John, Rachel, Sarah Newburn Yarnell, Dorothy, Nemiah, Jacob, David, George, William, Mary Newburn Vore, Ann Newburn Vore. David Newburn, the grandfather, was born July 27, 1792, and died March 28, 1855. Beulah (Brown) Newburn, his wife (and daughter of John Brown and Virgin (Gaskell) Brown), was born February 17, 1787, and died February 22, 1829. David Newburn was married twice, and to the first marriage was born four children as follows: Rachel, John, Virgin B. Newburn Hofford and David Newburn. He was again married and to himself and Gule Elma Newburn were born six children: William H., Mary Ann, Warner Leads, Amy Newburn Carney, George and Lydia Newburn Grable, the last mentioned at this writing is still living with her family near Abilene, Kansas.
David Newburn, the father of Charles B. Newburn, was born near the old Quaker Church, about ten miles south of Eaton, in Preble County, Ohio, on the 22d day of January, 1829. He moved out to Illinois when a boy, and first married Jane Reddick, who was the mother of one daughter, Louisa J., now deceased. David Newburn returned to Ohio and married Miss Van Winkle on February 2, 1860, and then returned to Marshall County, Illinois. In March, 1872, he brought his family to Andrew County, Missouri, locating a mile and a half from Cosby, and one year later bought a farm near the Platte River in Rochester Township. He lived as a farmer for a number of years, finally retiring to the Village of Cosby, where he died June 2, 1914. His wife, who was born November 27, 1827, passed away in July, 1911. From the age of sixteen David Newburn had been a blacksmith by trade, combining his trade with farming until he came to Missouri, after which he devoted all his time to his agricultural interests. At one time he owned 700 acres in Andrew County. Politically he acted with the Whig party in early life, later with the republican, and held several minor township offices. He and his wife were the parents of three children: Charles B., Warner L., who lives in Mankato, Jewell County, Kansas; and Sarah B., the deceased wife of J. N. Addington.
Charles B. Newburn has been a resident of Andrew County since eleven years of age, acquired some education in the public schools of Illinois, and after coming to Missouri combined practical experience on the farm with some attendance in the local schools. On reaching his majority he took up farming as a practical vocation, and followed it with substantial success until 1900. Since that year his home has been in Cosby, and for five years he was engaged in the hardware and implement business with J. P. Anderson under the firm name of Anderson & Newburn.
Mr. Newburn has some valuable property which measures his life accomplishments as a farmer and business man, owning 240 acres in Rochester Township and a quarter section of land in Western Kansas in Jewell County. Mr. Newburn is a republican in politics, and has been a member of the Cosby town council since its organization. His church home is the Christian, and he is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. On September 6, 1882, Mr. Newburn married Florence M. Newton. She was born in Preble County, Ohio, October 10, 1861, and was brought to Andrew County when seven years of age.
Her parents were Thomas and Lucinda (Leach) Newton. Thomas Newton, Sr., the great-grandfather of Mrs. Florence M. Newton Newburn, was born in Ireland. He came to America, and on the 28th of March, 1818, bought a carding mill of his son Thomas Newton, Jr., the consideration being $1,000, which is shown by the original contract still in the possession of the family. The mill was on Beaver Creek, in Preble County, Ohio, and was used for carding wool for many years. Thomas Newton, Jr., was married in 1823 to Mrs. Rebecca Anderson (her former husband being dead). To them was born two children: Elizabeth Newton (Early; and Thomas Newton. The father, Thomas Newton, Jr., died in 1840. The mother, Rebecca Newton, lived with her children until her death in 1862 at the age of seventy-five years. Thomas Newton, Jr., had two sons by a former marriage, Isaac and Asa Newton; and Rebecca Newton, wife of Thomas Newton, Jr., also had five children by the name of Anderson, from a former marriage. Thomas Newton, the father of Mrs. Florence M. Newton Newburn, was born in Preble County, Ohio, on October 31, 1829, and died in Andrew County, Missouri, July 2, 1905.
Lucinda Leach Newton, his wife, was born in Tennessee August 18, 1830, and died in Andrew County, Missouri, December 11, 1900. Thomas Newton and Lucinda Leach were married in Eaton, Preble County, Ohio. In 1867 Thomas Newton and wife and three children and William Leach (his wife's brother) drove through in a wagon from Eaton, Ohio, to Rochester, Andrew County, Missouri, the trip taking six weeks. Jacob Leach, the grandfather of Mrs. Newburn on the mother's side, was married in Tennessee in 1826, to Matilda Jennings (who with her brother, Pleasant Jennings, had come from England). About the year 1831 Jacob Leach and wife with two small children left Tennessee and came through on horseback to near Eaton, Preble County, Ohio, where they spent the rest of their lives. They were parents of eleven children, as follows: Luelsa Leach Jellison, Lucinda Leach Newton, Sarah Jane Leach Charles, Julia A. Leach Potterf, Mary Ellen Leach Krug, Susanna Leach White, Peter Leach, who died in infancy, William Leach, John P. Leach, Matilda Leach Wilson and Thomas N. Leach. Jacob Leach died near Eaton, Ohio, in the year 1880, and his wife Matilda Leach died in 1882.
Thomas Newton followed farming most of his life, but when a young man had learned the trade of cooper, and also worked at various times at carpentry- He possessed a natural genius for mechanical work, and that was a factor in his success as a farmer. The children in the Newton family were: Sarah, deceased wife of Richard Skinner; Thomas W., who lives at St. Joseph; Mrs. Newburn; Eva, wife of Edward Kelsey, of Rochester Township; James E. Newton, born April 8, 1852, died March 6, 1853, and William A. Newton, born October 11, 1853, and died August 28, 1855.
Mr. and Mrs. Newburn have one son, Percy E., who was born on a farm in Rochester Township, July 22, 1883. He received his education in the country schools and after finishing a course in a commercial college at Savannah became an employee of the Cosby State Bank, and is now a director and assistant cashier of that institution. Percy Newburn married Clara E. Hartman, a daughter of J. W. Hartman, now deceased.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 2076-2077; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Dr. Perry NicholsPerry Nichols, M. D. As one scans the progress of medical science during past ages and more particularly during the present and preceding century, amazement and admiration are aroused and faith grows where doubt once prevailed. While marvelous things have been accomplished in the domain of medicine there have been a few ills that afflict mankind that, until recently, have seemed entirely resistant to every treatment and perhaps none have been more dreaded and fatal than cancer. The general reader is not unacquainted with the progress of research along the line of cure for this cruel disease, which attacks every class, irrespective of wealth or station, and, if humane and sympathetic, must feel keenly regret and disappointment when one heralded cure after the other has been swept aside as entirely inadequate.
The duties pertaining to the cultivation of the home farm claimed Perry Nichols until he was about twenty years of age. He had, however, excellent educational opportunities, attending school at Iowa City, afterward spending two years in the Iowa State University, in the meanwhile pursuing his medical studies and in 1901 was graduated from the medical department of the University of the South.
He immediately entered into practice at Watertown, South Dakota, three years later removing to Hot Springs and three years afterward came to Savannah. For the past eighteen years he has devoted his attention almost entirely toNichols Sanitorium, Savannah, Mo the treatment and cure of cancer and maintains his sanatorium at Savannah, Missouri. The sanatorium was incorporated June 25, 1914, with a capital stock of $500,000. It is under the management of the following staff: Perry Nichols, B. S., M. D., formerly professor of malignant diseases in the Lincoln Medical College, Lincoln, Nebraska, president; W. A. Stearns, vice president; J. H. Reaugh, treasurer; Edith Eason, secretary. The board of directors is made up of the above officials and also W. H. Bailey, M. D., Ella Nichols and Lydia Reaugh. Dr. W. H. Bailey is medical director.
Doctor Nichols lives a busy life, but will never complain as long as he sees the beneficent results arising from his enterprise and his scientific discoveries. It was only after many years of research and diligent study that he discovered a safe and sane cure for the malignant disease of cancer without the use of the surgeon's knife and the miraculous cures that he has performed entitle him to the gratitude of thousands of patients and should give him eminent standing among the benefactors of mankind. His institution is modern in every way, with skilled medical practitioners and corps of trained nurses, and the location of the building is in a section where may be found every requirement of health. Although Doctor Nichols has built up this enormous business in but a few years and has comfortable accommodations for many patients, coming from every section of the country, at the present writing (1915) he is contemplating further extension, which means still further humanitarian usefulness.
Doctor Nichols has three children and all are pupils in the high school. They are George, Helen and John.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1463-1464; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.