Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Biographies

" P "

William Parker. Of the old pioneer families of Andrew County, none have stood higher as good and worthy people than the Parkers, a well-known representative being William Parker, one of the substantial farmers and stockmen of Monroe Township, who has been a continuous resident of this county since brought here by his parents in 1841. William Parker was born in Bartholomew County, Indiana, March 12, 1836. His parents were Daniel K. and Sarah (Davis) Parker, the former of whom was born in Brown County, Indiana, in 1813, and the latter in Bartholomew County in 1817. Late in the '30s they came to Missouri, locating first near Weston, in Platte County, and from there, in 1841, came to Andrew County, the family home from then until the present. Daniel K. Parker preempted 160 acres of land situated two miles north of Avenue City and on this place he died in 1889, having survived his wife for one year. They had but two children: William and Elizabeth, the latter being the widow of Jesse F. Wright, of Rochester Township, Andrew County.
William Parker had such school advantages as the neighborhood afforded in his boyhood, but his life has been devoted to farming since early youth, and long experience has taught him methods that bring about the best results in this section of the country. His farm contains 210 acres, 160 of which came to his wife from her father's estate. When Mr. Parker came here this property was all open fields, but he has greatly improved it and now has substantial and adequate buildings for his grain and stock and a comfortable farm residence.
Mr. Parker was married May 1, 1862, to Miss Rachel H. Esslinger, who was born on a part of this farm, September 20, 1843. Her parents were Daniel and Hepsibeth (Deakins) Esslinger, and her maternal grandfather was Hon. William Deakins, who was one of the first judges of Andrew County. Mr. and Mrs. Parker have had six children, all of whom survive: Sarah E., who is the wife of Edward Feichter, resides at Atchison, Kansas; Francis A., who is a resident of Colorado Springs, Colorado; Mrs. Jennie Tebbs, who lives with her parents; Daniel E., who is in business at Boise, Idaho; May, who is the wife of E. E. Zimmerman, of Boise, Idaho; and Stella, who is the wife of Dr. C. L. Allen, of Cosby, Missouri.
Mr. Parker has witnessed many changes take place in Andrew County during the past seventy years and has always done his part in bringing about those of which his judgment approved. In politics he is a republican, but has never accepted any public office except that of township assessor, in which he served for three years. He is one of the best known men of this part of the county and has reared a creditable family.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1766-1767; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Bert E. Patterson. The most satisfying rewards of rural experience have compensated the untiring labors and well-directed efforts of Bert E. Patterson, who is known as one of Holt County's progressive and enterprising farmers, and the owner of 200 acres of well developed land. A resident of his present property since 1890, it has grown and developed under his management, and while he has been an extremely busy man with his private interests, he has still found the time and inclination to devote to community affairs, having thus gained the deserved reputation of being a public-spirited, stirring and helpful citizen.
Mr. Patterson was born on a farm located east of Oregon, Andrew County, Missouri, December 16, 1875, and is a son of George T. and Lizzie (Brady) Patterson. Henry Patterson, the grandfather of Bert E. Patterson, was born in Ireland, and as a young man emigrated to the United States. After a short time passed in the East, he turned his face Missouriward and became one of the first thirteen citizens to settle in this part of Northwest Missouri. He was a rugged, sturdy and energetic pioneer, capable of bearing his share of work in the wild, rough days of the frontier, and through a life of industry was able to accumulate a competency. He out lived all of those who had accompanied him to Andrew County, and died at the ripe old age of eighty-three years. Mr. Patterson married Miss Canada Cobb, and among their children was George T. Patterson, who was born at Savannah, Andrew County, Missouri, July 6, 1848. He grew to manhood in his native community, and when he embarked upon his own career adopted the vocation of his father and became a farmer. For some years he was the owner of a property in Andrew County, east of Oregon, but in 1890 moved to Holt County, and here rounded out his long and industrious career. He was a skilled agriculturist, and as a citizen was held in the highest esteem in his community.
Bert E. Patterson was educated in the district schools of his native locality, and was reared to agricultural pursuits, which he adopted as his life work when he entered upon his own career. He was about twenty two years of age when he came to his present property in Holt County, to which he has added from time to time until at present he is the owner of 200 acres of land, the greater part of which is under cultivation and very productive. He has a fine set of buildings, uses modern machinery in his work, and is daily demonstrating his right to be known as a member of that class of farmers who maintain a high agricultural standard in any community. While general farming has received the greater part of his attention, he is also an excellent judge of cattle, and his yearly shipments are large. Mr. Patterson has been somewhat interested in fraternal matters, being a member of the Woodmen of the World and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in the lodges of both of which orders he has numerous friends. With his family, he attends the United Brethren Church and heartily and generously supports its various movements. In political matters he is, like his father, a democrat, and has shown his ability as an official in the capacity of member of the school board, an office which he has held for a number of years.
Mr. Patterson married Miss Grace Limpp, daughter of John G. Limpp, and to this union there has been born one daughter: Marie.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1575; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Cyrus Jasper Pattisson. One of the most beautiful properties in Andrew County is that of Cyrus J. Pattisson, a tract of 125 acres and 20 acres of timber land, lying in section 19, Platte Township. "The Evergreens," as this farm is known, has been developed under the supervision of Mr. Pattisson, who has resided here since 1870, and is known as one of the township's substantial men. While the property is equipped with every modern appliance for practical farming and stock raising, it has been so beautified by the planting of shade and ornamental trees, shrubs, roses, etc., and occupies such a notable position on a ridge that it is one of the show-places of this part of Northwest Missouri.
Cyrus J. Pattisson was born in Jefferson County, Indiana, April 4, 1843, and is a son of John and Leah (Walker) Pattisson, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Maryland. His grandfather, John C. Pattisson, was born in London, England, within 200 feet of the north end of the historic London bridge over the Thames. He was twice married, and by both unions reared families. The grandmother of Cyrus J. Pattisson was the second wife, formerly Mary Bloor, a native of England, but of a family said to have been of Holland origin. John C. Pattisson was a physician and early settler of Indiana, in which state he located after his emigration to the United States. His pill bag, which he carried on his saddle, is one of his grandson's highly prized possessions. He died in Jefferson County, Indiana, in 1837, the grandmother surviving Him many years, and passing away in September, 1876, at the home of one of her daughters (Josephine Snider) in Nodaway County, Missouri, near Barnard and is buried in the Lower Neely Grove Cemetery near Rosendale in Andrew County.
John Pattisson grew up in Jefferson County, Indiana, and was there married June 16, 1842, to Leah Walker, who had been brought from her native Maryland by her parents as a child. In May, 1858, the family came to Nodaway County, Missouri, where John Pattisson engaged in farming until 1859, then going to St. Joseph, where he was engaged in merchandising during that and the following year. In the spring of 1861 he returned to his farm in Nodaway County, and afterwards came to Andrew County, and died on his farm there June 27, 1875, aged fifty-eight years eight months and seventeen days, having been born October 10, 1816. His widow survived until March 17, 1896, being eighty-five years of age at the time of her demise. John
Pattisson was a strong and unswerving Union man and one of the 410 Lincoln voters in St. Joseph in 1860. Because of his outspoken views in behalf of a free state, he made numerous enemies, and June 19, 1861, was the night set as the date upon which he was to have been hanged by Southern sympathizers.
Cyrus J. Pattisson received his education in the public schools of Jefferson County, Indiana, and was a lad of fifteen when, in May, 1858, he came to Missouri with his parents. He then lived in Nodaway County a year, in the City of St. Joseph two years, and again for about nine years in Nodaway County, and with these exceptions has spent the rest of his life in Andrew County, and since March, 1870, has lived on the farm which he now owns. He was successful in his agricultural ventures from the start and succeeded in the accumulation of 240 acres, but has since sold or deeded some land to his son, and his farm now consists of 125 acres, on which he resides. This he has appropriately named "The Evergreens" from the large number of evergreen trees growing about the property. In 1871 he brought from Indiana and set out a number of red cedar trees and later secured more, which were placed in rows, resembling an orchard. Here also are found numbers of American Arbor Vitae trees, used as a shelter belt, with Austrian pine and blue spruce, giving the estate a most pleasing appearance. Mr. Pattisson takes great pleasure in anything that grows and has a small greenhouse, in which he cultivates tropical plants. That he is a practical man, however, is shown by his well cultivated fields and large herds of well-fed, contented stock. He is a natural mechanic, and when a young man, from 1860 to 1864, manufactured four violins, two of which are of especially fine tone. In his little workshop on the farm he is able to make all the repairs necessary on his farming equipment, and has studied invention quite a little and has perfected several devices with some success. Mr. Pattisson leads a quiet, home life, taking his greatest interest in his farm, and not caring to mix in public matters, although he has always been ready to cooperate with his fellow citizens in movements for the general public welfare. While not a member of any church denomination, or any order, he has been a steadfast upholder of right and morality, is tolerant of the creeds and beliefs of others, and carries out his principles into practice in his everyday life and in his polities. He has the esteem of his community because of a life of straightforward dealing, and during his long residence in Platte Township has attracted to himself a wide circle of friends.
Mr. Pattisson was married December 26, 1867, to Miss Mary Elizabeth Atkinson, who was born in New Jersey, May 20, 1851, and who came to Andrew County in 1857 with her parents, Hugh M. and Eliza (Pettigrew) Atkinson, natives of Armagh, Ireland.
Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Pattisson: Laura, born February 9, 1869, is the wife of Newton Hershberger, of Bolckow, Missouri; one daughter, Helen Honor, died in infancy; Amanda May, born August 9, 1873, died March 17. 1907, as Mrs. Claude Rea, leaving two children, Ruth and Clifford: John William born April 3 1876 lives at Savannah, a daughter who is the wife of Charles Hauensteine of Grand River, Iowa; Mary Etta, born December 25, 1870, died at the age of one year, three months.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1940-1941; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


J. S. Peters. One of the old and honored citizens of Savannah, who at the age of eighty years is now living in comfortable retirement from history in several parts of the country. Born in Preble County, Ohio, April 29, 1834, Mr. Peters is a son of John and Elizabeth (Gossett; Peters, natives of Franklin County, Virginia, where they were married. The paternal grandparents were natives of Pennsylvania, where the family was known from Colonial times. In the fall of 1822, John and Elizabeth Peters loaded their family effects into a wagon, and started from their Virginia home on the long and hazardous journey overland to the undeveloped country of Ohio. Locating on a virgin farm, they cleared a property and established a home, and there passed the rest of their existence in pastoral pursuits. They were the parents of six daughters and three sons, and two children of this family now survive: Mrs. Susanna Swihart, of Dayton, Ohio; and J. S.
J. S. Peters was reared on his father's farm, and secured such educational advantages as were afforded the pupils by the early Ohio schools. He continued to assist his father in cultivating the old homestead until April of 1860, when he started on an overland journey to Colorado, with an ox-team, going through Kansas and Nebraska and on to Colorado on the old military trail, finally arriving at Denver, May 23rd. During the years 1860 and 1861 he remained in the mining country, being engaged in prosperity, but in the fall of the latter year started on his way back to the East with ox-teams, going down the course of the Platte River, crossing the Missouri and on to Chariton, Iowa, at that point taking a coach which brought him to Eddyville; the nearest railroad point. He went thence to Ohio. As a comparison of the methods of the early 1860s and those of today, and to illustrate the wonderful progress that has been attained under Mr. Peters' observation, it is interesting to note that in September, 1914, he covered the Iowa part of this journey, but instead of traversing the country with an ox-team, made the trip in his high-powered automobile.
Mr. Peters remained in Ohio until 1874, and in that year came to Andrew County and settled down to agricultural pursuits. Through industry, perseverance and good management, he accumulated 200 acres of good land in Kansas and Missouri, but since his retirement this has been divided among his children. At the present time he is one of the valued residents of the retired colony at Savannah, and his long life of honorable dealing eminently entitles him to the respect and esteem so universally accorded him. On his return from the West, in the late fall of 1861, Mr. Peters became a member of the Ohio Militia, and May 2, 1864, went into the United States service for 100 days, as a member of Company E, One Hundred and Fifty-sixth Regiment, Ohio National Guards, under General Kelley. One of his most highly prized possessions is a certificate of thanks from President Lincoln, given him for his valuable war services. In political matters Mr. Peters has been a lifelong republican, but at no time in his career has he been an office seeker. He was a member of the Union League during the days of the Civil war, and still holds membership in the Grand Army of the Republic.
In 1862 Mr. Peters was married to Miss Sarah C. Swihart, who was born in Preble County, Ohio, March 29, 1836, and died May 3, 1905, at Rea, Missouri. Two sons were born to this union: O. E. and F. B.  
He has been the incumbent of his present office for four years, and his well-directed labors have resulted in gaining for his county an efficient and comprehensive school system which compares favorably with that of any county in Northwest Missouri. He has been earnest and energetic, bringing to his work an enthusiasm which, combined with his natural adaptation for his calling, has accomplished remarkable results in advancing the cause of education.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1636-1637; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Oscar M. Peters. For the last twelve years has been associated with a group of men who are active as officers and directors of the Cosby State Bank, in the capacity of cashier of that institution, which is one of the strong and well conducted country banks of Northwest Missouri. For a number of years before taking up banking Mr. Peters was known in Andrew County as a teacher, and is a thoroughly educated, progressive and public spirited citizen in all his activities and relations with the community.
His home has been in Andrew County nearly fifty years, but he was born in Preble County, Ohio, October 22, 1864, a son of Joseph and Rebecca (Reddick) Peters. His father was born in Preble County near the birthplace of his son, while the mother was born across the state line in Indiana. In 1865 the family left Ohio and came to Northwest Missouri. They drove across the country in a wagon and there were seven families who comprised the party. Joseph Peters located on a farm three miles northwest of Cosby in Rochester Township, and spent the rest of his life in that vicinity as an active farmer. He retired to Cosby in 1891. He was born April 10, 1827, and died at Cosby January 25, 1911, when past eighty years of age. His wife was born January 16, 1831, and is now living in her eighty-fifth year in Cosby. Besides farming the father also did much business as an auctioneer, and for one term served as a judge of the County Court. Politically he was a republican. During the Civil war, while living in Ohio, he was drafted for service, but paid the salary of a man who was working for him to go as a substitute. At that time help was very scarce, and almost all the burdens of farming fell upon his shoulders. After swinging a cradle in the harvest fields all day long, he would spend half the night binding up the grain. In Andrew County he and his family were members of the Long Branch Christian Church. The children were: Frances Ellen, who died May 10, 1913, married T. J. Fox, also deceased, who was for a number of years a merchant at Cosby: Mary H., who now lives with her mother in Cosby, married the late William A. Brooks, who was an auctioneer; Edward M. is in the lumber and hardware business at Rushville, Missouri, but lived at Cosby a number of years and established the Cosby State Bank, and later was in banking at Rushville; Clara B. is the wife of T. E. Maughmer, a retired farmer at Union Star.
Oscar M. Peters has spent all his life in Andrew County since he was one year of age, with the exception of the time he was away at college. He attended the public schools, and for two years was a student in the Stanberry Normal School. After that his services were employed as a teacher, being principal of the schools at Rosendale two years. From 1895 to 1900 Mr. Peters was a student in Drake University at Des Moines, Iowa, and has the degree bachelor of didactic science from that institution. For the past twelve years has devoted his entire attention to banking. While it is the nature of bankers to take a conservative attitude in business affairs, Mr. Peters has a genial personality which won him and the bank many friends and patrons, and he can be depended upon to support movements undertaken for the general welfare of this community.
Politically he is a republican, is a member of the Long Branch Christian Church and has fraternal affiliations with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Modern Woodmen of America. In 1893 Mr. Peters married Carrie E. Strock. She was born three miles west of Cosby November 14, 1865, a daughter of Judge James F. and Minerva (Spence) Strock, who were natives of Kentucky and early settlers in Andrew County, and both are now deceased.
Mrs. Peters before her marriage was also a teacher in Andrew County, and was in the Rosendale schools at the same time with her husband. While he was a student in Drake University she took work in the music and department of expression in the same college. Mr. and Mrs. Peters have three children: Lucile Majorie Peters, born November 27, 1899; Virgil Leland Peters, August 4, 1906; and Mae Evalyn Peters, May 31, 1908.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1728-1729; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Thomas Pettigrew. The career of Thomas Pettigrew, a venerable resident of Helena, Andrew County, is one well worthy of consideration by the younger generation. Born in Ireland, he emigrated to the United States as a young man, but before he could start on a career of his own he was forced to serve five years for another to clear off an indebtedness. Subsequently he saw service in the great war between the North and the South, in which he sustained severe injuries, and finally, when he came to Missouri, it was as a laborer. His experiences, however, had given him self reliance and courage, and with determination he set forth to make a place for himself among the men of substance of his community. How well his ambitions were realized is evidenced by the high esteem in which he is held in his county and the handsome property which he has accumulated for his declining years.
Thomas Pettigrew was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1831, and is a son of William and Margaret (Aken) Pettigrew, the latter of whom died when Thomas was a baby, while the former, a farmer all his life, passed away in New Jersey. The following children were in the family: William, Eliza, James, George, Charles, all deceased, Thomas, Mary, deceased, and Margaret, of Orange New Jersey. Mr. Pettigrew received only a public school education in his native land and was a young man of twenty-four years when he emigrated to the United States. He was bound to his brother William for five years, in the manufacture of hats, and served the time at Milburn, New Jersey, following which he secured a position as conductor on a street railway in Brooklyn and was thus engaged for three years. The outbreak of the Civil war found Mr. Pettigrew a resident of New Jersey, and in May, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Second Regiment, New Jersey Volunteer Infantry. This regiment was attached to the Army of the Potomac, which participated in the great and sanguine battle of the Wilderness, five miles from Richmond, when Mr. Pettigrew was severely wounded by a bullet in the left leg below the knee. He fell into the hands of the Confederates, and for six days lay on the field without having anything done for his injury, but subsequently went to Chesapeake Hospital, and was discharged there from and from the service after one year and eleven months as a soldier.
Mr. Pettigrew, with an excellent war record, came to Missouri to see his sister, Mrs. Eliza Atkinson. He was at once struck with the opportunities offered in this rich and fertile region, locating in Nodaway County, where he decided to remain. For three years he worked as a laborer, but in 1866 established a home of his own, when he was married to Mary C. Pattison, who was born in Indiana, May 27, 1844, and came to Nodaway County, Missouri, with her parents, in 1858. After his marriage Mr. Pettigrew engaged in farming ventures on his own account, and for twenty-four years resided on one farm, this adjoining the town of Rosendale, on the east. He still owns this property, which consists of 120 acres, on which there are numerous substantial buildings and modern improvements. For ten years Mr. Pettigrew resided at Woodston, Kansas, and for eleven years at El Reno, Oklahoma, and he still owns properties at both of these places. He is also interested in the Woodston State Bank, the Rooks County (Kansas) State Bank and the First National Bank of Stockton. Kansas. Mr. Pettigrew also owns 960 acres of fine land in the Pan Handle district of Texas, on which he has a well 340 feet deep. In all his business ventures he has been honorable and upright, and as a result he stands high in the esteem of his community.
Mr. Pettigrew has no professed religious connection, although he has always supported movements which have made for morality and education. He has been a lifelong republican, but is, at the same time, an ardent admirer of President Wilson.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1880-1881; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Roy E. Powell. A man of less than forty years, yet with fully twenty-five of them spent in the trade and profession of newspaper work, Roy E. Powell has a high standing among the press fraternity of Northwest Missouri. He is editor of the Holt Rustler, and has been connected with various papers in this section of the state and in Nebraska.
Roy E. Powell was born at Fillmore. Andrew County, Missouri, May 21. 1875. His father Job Powell was born in Massachusetts, July 29, 1829, of good New England stock, and is now living at the venerable age of eighty-five in Fillmore, Missouri. A blacksmith by trade, he had a career filled with the vicissitudes of the world. When he was eleven years old he was bound out to his uncle who was a blacksmith. 
A few years later he had transferred to the regimental band, and served until honorably discharged shortly before the close of the war at Atlanta, Georgia. He was offered $150 to re-enlist as a substitute, but refused and came home to resume his business as a blacksmith. For many years that trade continued his source of livelihood, and he was located at Fillmore, Maryville, Cameron and again at Fillmore, where he finally retired in 1899, but at this writing is still hale and hearty.
Many years ago he served as a justice of the peace in Andrew County, has been a republican since the party came into existence, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church. His first wife was a Miss Hart, a Massachusetts girl, who left one child, Laura E., wife of W. W. Spacer, of Fillmore, Missouri. By his second marriage there was also one daughter, Rosa A., wife of B. F. Middaugh, of St. Joseph, Missouri. His third wife was Elizabeth Nodie, who was born in Maryland September 9, 1839, and is still living. Her five children are: Ursula A., wife of James E. Bell, of Maryville; Bessie L., wife of Elmer Calhoun of Richmond, Oklahoma; Roy E.; John E., of Kearny; and Lucy, widow of George Thompson, of Kansas City.
When Roy E. Powell was five years old his parents moved to Cameron, Missouri, in 1883 to Gallatin, and from there to Maysville. In these places he acquired his common schooling, which terminated when he was thirteen, and he then began working for himself. Five years of practical apprenticeship with D. F. Jones of the DeKalb County Herald gave him foundation equipment as a printer and newspaper man. He then went to Nebraska and for five years was connected with the Pawnee City Republican, then spent a year on the Daily Call at Excelsior Springs and on June 20, 1907, came to Holt and leased the Rustler. At the end of nine months he bought the plant, and has since continued this well known Clay County journal, which has been established about twenty-five years and is now more prosperous and influential than ever.
On April 12, 1899, Mr. Powell married Kate Good. She died December 10, 1911, aged thirty-six, leaving two children: Lena and Catherine. On August 11, 1912, Mr. Powell married Miss Jeanette Reece, who was born at Lathrop, Missouri, daughter of Thomas J. and Alice (Eby) Reece. Her parents are now living in Holt. Fraternally Mr. Powell is affiliated with the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. In politics he is a Democrat and he and wife are members of the Christian Union Church.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1466-1467; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


B. F. Praiswater. Northwest Missouri has been the home of Mr. Praiswater all his life, and from a farmer boy he graduated into independent activities as an agriculturist, and for many years has been one of the most substantially situated citizens of Hickory Township, in Holt County.
B. F. Praiswater was born in Andrew County, Missouri, December 30, 1856, a son of Samuel and Susan (Nease) Praiswater. He was one of seven children, of whom five are still living. His father was born and reared in Tennessee, moved from there to Indiana, and then came to Missouri. His first land was an unimproved place, and for some time before buying he worked as a renter. He lived in Andrew County about ten years, and the first place he came to in Holt County was down near Newpoint on the Nodaway River. That farm stands today as a monument to his active labors in clearing up and developing a farm. Both parents were members of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics he was independent, a man of excellent character, and never sought the honors of public office. He saw some active service in the state militia.
B. F. Praiswater married May Ludema Trimmer, daughter of John Q. and Elizabeth Marian Trimmer. There were twelve children in the Trimmer family, six of whom are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Praiswater are the parents of four children: Lula May, wife of W. A. Richardson, and has two children, Wayne A. and Wilma R.; John married Iva Drehen, and has one child, Leroy L.; Joseph B.; and Francis. All the children were born in Holt County.
Mr. Praiswater is one of the most extensive land holders in Holt County, and in his career has shown unusual capacity and judgment as a business man. He is the owner of 326 acres altogether in Missouri, and has 960 acres in Chase County, Nebraska. Mr. Praiswater has perfected the improvements on his home farm, and now has one of the most attractive homesteads in this section of Holt County. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has served his district on the school board. In politics he is independent. In his church he has worked actively and has been a deacon and is now an elder.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1510; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Hon. W. A. Pyle. In the peaceful pursuits of agriculture, more than one veteran of the great Civil war has tried to forget the inevitable horrors of that conflict, in which, from a sense of duty he participated and gave years of his young manhood to his country's service, but not all of them have later been called from farm and orchard to assume such public responsibilities as was W. A. Pyle, one of Andrew County's most representative men. Judge Pyle has been a resident of Andrew County for forty-seven years and his stability in every phase of life, his business judgment, his public spirit and his personal integrity have long been recognized by those who have known him in every day affairs, in commercial relations and in the responsible office of presiding judge of the county. He served on the county bench with honor, efficiency and usefulness for eight years.
In the ancestry of Judge Pyle some distinguished names are found. His paternal grandmother, Sabina Marshall, was a daughter of Samuel Marshall, who was a brother of Hon. John Marshall, who held the office of chief justice of the United States for thirty-four years, during which his decisions on constitutional questions established precedents in the interpretation of the Constitution that have been accepted ever since. Another member of this branch of the Marshall family is found in Indiana's most distinguished citizen, the present vice president of the United States.
W. A. Pyle was born in Scioto County, Ohio, January 3, 1844, and is a son of G. W. and Susannah (Rankin) Pyle. The father was born also in Scioto County, in 1815, a son of Absalom Pyle, who was of English extraction but was born in Roanoke County, Virginia, from which state he moved to Ohio and there became a farmer. In 1847 the parents of Judge Pyle came to Andrew County, Missouri, the father purchasing the farm on which his son W. A., the only living member of his family, now resides, both he and wife dying in the same year. He married Susannah Rankin, who was born in 1817, a daughter of William Rankin.
W. A. Pyle was reared on his grandfather's farm in Ohio and was given educational advantages, attending an academy at Jackson at the time of the outbreak of the war between the states. Although only seventeen years old at that time he enlisted for army service, entering Company E, Thirty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. His service was long and severe, testing not only the physical strength of the boy but proving that a man's courage is not always measured by years. He accompanied his regiment through Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama, fought in the battle of Perryville when twenty-four of his comrades in his company fell, later participated in the battle of Stone River, the Tullahoma campaign, and in the fall of 1863 in the battle of Chickamauga. On the last day of this battle the brave young soldier was wounded and then taken prisoner and in danger and suffering was later transferred to Atlanta, where he was held a prisoner until February 17, 1864, when he was exchanged, under a flag of truce. His condition was such at this time as to make necessary his removal to a hospital and he was a patient at Nashville until a furlough home was secured and after he reached. Ohio he reported at Cincinnati and was again placed in a hospital, from which place, in August, 1864, he was sent to Todd Barracks at Columbus, and on October 4, 1864, he was mustered out. His long period of suffering and the serious character of his injuries made his recuperation slow and for the next three years he remained on the old home place in Ohio.
In 1867 Mr. Pyle came to Andrew County and took possession' of his present farm, on which the only improvement was a one-room log house. He now owns 195 acres in Jefferson Township, three miles south of Savannah, and has refused an offer of $250 per acre because of the improvements here and the fine condition of his land. He gave the right of way through his property to the St. Joe & Savannah Interurban Electric Railroad. General farming according to modern methods is carried on here and a specialty is made of fruit growing.
Judge Pyle has always been a man of enterprise and has been intelligently interested in public matters at home and abroad. Until 1896 he was identified with the republican party but the issues brought forward in that year changed his views and since then his allegiance has been given to the democratic party. It was in 1890 that he was first elected presiding judge of Andrew County and his administration was publicly justified by his reelection in 1894.
Important matters came before him during his eight years of public service and the fruits of his good judgment, his business capacity and his adjustment of affairs in county finances, still are remembered as admirable results of his terms of office. It was during his administration that the contract was let for the erection of the present courthouse, which cost, including its furniture, the sum of $43,000. This handsome building is conceded the best structure of its kind as to cost and stability in the state. Almost all the county's indebtedness also was cleared off during Judge Pyle's term as presiding judge, county obligations which were selling at a discount when he took charge, selling at par when he retired.
In 1867 Judge Pyle was united in marriage with Mary J. Bennett, who was born in Ohio, December 26, 1847, a daughter of James Bennett, and they have had four children: William Rankin, who died at the age of five years; David Emery, who operates a farm adjoining that of his father, married Ora Breit, and they have three daughters, Mamie, Annie and Gladys, the eldest being the wife of Walter Oliver and the mother of a son, Harold; Judge Pyle's third child, Herbert Bennett, a well-known attorney of St. Joseph, acting for the Burlington Railroad as claim agent, married Octavia Cann and they have four children.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1716-1718; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.