Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Biographies

" S "

C. C. Schmitt. A former county treasurer of Andrew County, C. C. Schmitt has lived in this county forty years, and while looking after his individual fortunes and proper provision for his family has also accepted the responsibilities of citizenship and has been public spirited in all his relations.
C. C. Schmitt was born in Newton County, Missouri, December 7, 1870. His father, Charles Schmitt, was born in Bavaria, Germany, April 13, 1832, and when seven years of age was brought to this country by his parents, George Jacob and Anna Elizabeth (Librach) Schmitt, who located in Illinois and spent their last years in that state. Charles Schmitt grew up in Illinois and was married in Washington County of that state to Catherine Hackett. She was born in Jefferson County, Illinois, January 28, 1841.
In 1868 the family moved to Newton County, Missouri, and in 1875 to Andrew County, locating near Bolckow, where the father is still living. He has been a farmer all his active career, and though he has not been active for the past ten or twelve years still resides on a farm and retains about a hundred acres of his original estate in this section. In politics he is a republican, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which church his wife was also a member until her death on July 29, 1914. By a previous marriage Charles Schmitt had three children: Reuben, deceased; Charles J., deceased; and William B., who lives in the State of Washington. By the second marriage there were seven children, four of whom died in infancy, the others being: J. W., who lives near Bolckow; C. C.; Mary M., wife of Asa Pettyjohn of Rea, Missouri; and Oliver E. of Oskaloosa. Iowa.
Mr. C. C. Schmitt was about five years old when his parents established a home in Andrew County, and he lived on the home farm until his marriage. Besides the training afforded by the local schools he took a course in the Northwestern Normal School at Stanberry, Missouri, and for two years was engaged in teaching country schools in Andrew County. After his marriage he bought a farm near that of his father began to prosper in agricultural lines, and his wide acquaintance over the county and popularity as a citizen brought him into prominence in public affairs. In 1902 Mr. Schmitt was elected county treasurer and by reelection in 1904 served two terms or four years. He was elected on the republican ticket, and for a number of years has been active in that party. After retiring from office Mr. Schmitt bought his present farm, located two miles north of the courthouse in Savannah. It contains 126 acres, all well improved, and is known in that vicinity as the Plainview Farm. He is classed as a general farmer, but has made somewhat of a specialty of Poland China hogs.
Mr. Schmitt is an active member of the Baptist Church of Savannah, is a deacon and assistant superintendent of the Sunday school, and fraternally is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America. In 1896 he married Sarah Ann Townsend. She was born three miles north of Fillmore March 29, 1874, a daughter of J. F. and Emily (Farris) Townsend. Her father, who was born in Andrew County February 28, 1848, was the son of Elison and Catherine (Zimmerman) Townsend, who were among the pioneers in this section of Northwest Missouri. With the exception of three years, J. F. Townsend spent all his life in this county and on the farm where he died August 27, 1900, and where Mr. and Mrs. Schmitt now reside.
He was an active republican, and for one term served as county collector. Mrs. Schmitt's mother was born in Ohio in 1845, and came to Andrew County with her parents when she was a child, and died here March 26, 1905. Mr. and Mrs. Schmitt are the parents of six children: Franklin O., Warren L., Loma Marie, Floyd, and Luetta and Luella, twins.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1700-1701; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Charles Schmitt. He is now past the age of four-score years, and has spent nearly half his life in Andrew County. While living somewhat retired, he still occupies his farm in Benton Township near Bolckow and with ample material comforts enjoys a most pleasing retrospect over his past life.
Charles Schmitt was born in Bavaria, Germany, April 13, 1833, a son of George Jacob and Anna Elizabeth (Librach) Schmitt, both also natives of Bavaria. His father was born November 28, 1798, and his mother March 6, 1800, and the father died August 8, 1844, and the mother on September 8, 1852. In 1840 the family left Germany and emigrating to the United States located in Washington County, Illinois, where both the parents died. George J. Schmitt followed the trade of butcher in the old country, but occupied a small farm in Illinois. The children were: George, who enlisted in an Illinois regiment for service in the Mexican war and died of fever while in the army; Mary Holler of Illinois; Christina Middleton, who died in Illinois in 1913; Charles; William, who died in 1913 in Southwest Missouri, was for three years a soldier in the 111th Illinois Infantry during the Civil war; Elizabeth Williams, who died at Bolckow in Andrew County; Margaret Merick of Illinois; and one child that died in infancy.
Charles Schmitt grew to manhood in Illinois, and about 1869 moved to Newton County, Missouri. After a residence there of about eight years he came on to Andrew County in 1877, and has lived here and enjoyed a measurable degree of prosperity as a farmer ever since. He originally owned 166 acres of land in Benton Township, but sold land in Andrew County at a price as low as twenty dollars per acre, though the general average of real estate values in the county is now several time's that amount.
Mr. Charles Schmitt, while following the quiet and industrious vocation of farmer, has never sought to escape public responsibility, and has been quite active in the Republican Party. He served as a delegate to a number of county conventions. In early life he had no opportunities whatever for gaining an education, and only learned to read after he had a family of his own. He has long been identified with the Prairie Temple of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and served as class leader and steward twenty-five years.
Charles Schmitt was first married in Illinois in 1852 to Celia M. Parker, who was born January 1, 1835, and died November 6, 1861. Their three children were: Reuben, who died at the age of twenty years; Charles J., who died leaving a widow and six children; and William B., who lives near Seattle, Washington.
Charles Schmitt was married in 1863 in Washington County, Illinois, to Catherine Hackett. She was born in Jefferson County, Illinois, January 28, 1841, and died at Bolckow, Missouri, July 29, 1914. By the second marriage there were eight children, but four of them died in infancy or early childhood. The other four are: John W., who is a farmer and neighbor to his father near Bolckow; C. C., whose sketch has been given above; Mary M., wife of A. C. Pettyjohn of Rea, Missouri; and Oliver E., a merchant of Oskaloosa, Iowa.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1702-1703; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


E. L. Schneider. One of the sterling citizens and prominent business men of Avenue City is Emil L. Schneider, proprietor of a general store here, owner of a fine farm in Jefferson Township, and a member of the board of directors of the Farmers and Traders Bank of St. Joseph, Missouri. He was born three miles southeast of Avenue City, in Monroe Township, Andrew County, Missouri, November 15, 1868, and is a son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Schindler) Schneider. The father was born in Switzerland, in September, 1839, a son of Christopher Schneider, and accompanied his parents to the United States when thirteen years of age.
Christian Schneider located in Monroe Township, Andrew County, Missouri, on the farm on which his grandson, Emil L., was born many years later, and there spent the rest of his life. Frederick Schneider followed farming on the large tract his father had bought and was one of the five sons to be given a farm. He died there August 29, 1911. He married Elizabeth Schindler, who was born in Ohio and had accompanied her parents to Andrew County, in childhood. After she became a widow she removed to St. Joseph and now lives there with a daughter. There were ten children in the family: Rosetta, who is the wife of Stephen Hug, of Holton, Kansas; Anna, who is the wife of Charles Ritter, of Rochester Township; Pauline, who is the widow of Frank Heggeman, of St. Joseph, Missouri; Harry H., who is a merchant of Crosby, Missouri; L. F., who is a farmer in Jefferson Township; W. G., who is a resident of Denver, Colorado; Oscar C., who remains on the home farm; Flora, who is the wife of Henry Bolliger, of Monroe Township; Frederick, who died at the age of four years; and Emil L., who was the second born.
Emil L. Schneider remained with his father until he was twenty one years of age, in the meanwhile attending the country schools. Afterward he was a student for two years in the Chillicothe Normal School, where he was graduated in 1892. Finding his tastes ran in the direction of a mercantile life, Mr. Schneider then entered a general store at St. Joseph, where he continued until January 1, 1895, when he embarked in his present business at Avenue City. He carries a very complete assortment of general merchandise, including agricultural implements, everything a farmer needs being found in his stock. He has a large trade, partly on this account, but largely because of his accommodating manner and honorable business methods.
Mr. Schneider was married April 7, 1896, to Miss Emma Ritter, who was born in Monroe Township, Andrew County, and is a daughter of Joseph Ritter. They have three children: Leola, Russell and Louis. Mr. Schneider is giving his children many advantages. With his family he belongs to the German Reformed Church at Cosby, and all are active and interested in the Sunday school. [Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pg.1876; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


John N. Schreier. Not only is John N. Schreier the architect of a substantial fortune, acquired through agricultural enterprise, but in its acquisition he has maintained the reputation for industry and reliability established in Andrew County by his pioneer father, the late Nicholas Schreier. Mr. Schreier belongs to that class of Northwest Missouri farmers who have passed their entire lives in the vicinities in which they now live, and who for this reason have an intimate knowledge of conditions here. His life has been devoted to agricultural work, and at the present time he is the owner of an excellent tract of 240 acres, located in section 28, Jefferson Township.
John N. Schreier was born in the vicinity of the Village of Amazonia, Andrew County, Missouri, June 13, 1859, and is a son of Nicholas and Annie (Zimmerman) Schreier. His father, a native of Switzerland, emigrated to the United States as a young man with little capital save his zealous ambition to succeed, and located in the State of Ohio, where he met and married his wife. Together they came to Andrew County, Missouri, taking up their residence amid pioneer surroundings and experiencing all the hardships and discouraging experiences incident to such an existence. Together they labored faithfully and industriously, and through their untiring toil succeeded in winning an independence.
John N. Schreier received his education in the district schools of Andrew County, and passed his boyhood and youth much the same as other farmers' sons of this locality. He assisted his father in the work of the homestead, was thoroughly trained in farming and raising stock, and remained under the parental roof until the time of his marriage, when he located on his present land. This is a tract of 240 acres, lying three miles south of Savannah, and is now one of the really valuable farms of Jefferson Township. There were but few improvements on the property when Mr. Schreier first became its owner, but as the years have passed he has put in new equipment and machinery and has erected buildings of attractive design, modern architecture and substantial character. In his general farming operations, he grows the staple grains and produce, for which he finds a ready market, and he has also been successful in raising all kinds of high grade stock. Modern methods have always appealed to him and he keeps fully abreast of the advancing times, so that his labors yield him a full measure of prosperity. Mr. Schreier is a republican, but his activities in politics have been confined to performing the responsibilities of good citizenship. He has shown himself to be fully in accord with the progressive movements which are advancing the community's welfare, and lends them his hearty support and cooperation.
On June 13, 1889, Mr. Schreier was united in marriage with Miss Anna Mosser, who was born in Andrew County, Missouri, February 21, 1854, a daughter of Peter Mosser. She died October 2, 1912, the mother of two children: Alva M. and Warren, both residents of Andrew County. Mr. Schreier is a consistent member of the German Reformed Church.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1703-1704; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


G. M. Scott. Some of the finest pedigreed stock in Northwest Missouri originates at the Quiet Glen Stock Farm in Andrew County, located on section 31 in Platte Township. According to all available information this farm furnishes a larger numerical breeding service than any other farm in America. The stud stables at different times have had as many as sixty jacks and stallions and the judgment and long experience of the proprietor, Mr. Scott, have given a reputation to his animals second to none in the Middle West, The Quiet Glen Farm is famous for its jacks and jennets, its high grade Percheron and also saddle and harness horses. Mr. Scott does business in a business-like way, and every year issues a large amount of literature concerning the animals kept on his farm. Every year or so one of the large engraving houses of St. Joseph gets out for him a handsomely illustrated booklet of twenty-five or thirty pages giving description of pedigrees and terms of breeding stock, illustrating half a dozen or more of his draft and saddle horses, and a large number of the jacks which have made his stables known all over the West. Every year in the month of September, Mr. Scott holds an annual colt show at his farm, a custom that has been observed for the past fifteen years, and which is of great benefit to his customers. This show brings from two thousand to four thousand people to the farm, and it is one of the celebrated one-day events in Northwest Missouri. As high as two hundred colts are usually shown at each show.
In improvements and equipment the Quiet Glen Farm is one of the most conspicuous in Northwest Missouri. The seventeen-room modern house would do credit to a big city, and at well placed intervals around stand the five substantial barns and enclosed lots, besides a variety of smaller buildings. The main breeding barn is 72 by 100 feet. The farm has a large acreage of as fine blue grass land as can be found in the famous blue grass districts of Kentucky, and under laid with limestone, well drained, and especially suitable for stock farming. Besides the chief industry of the farm, Mr. Scott also breeds a few Jersey cattle and Poland China hogs.
Mr. Scott has the genial personality of the typical successful Missouri business man, and as his business has been built up on the basis of thorough integrity and exact representation and the strictest regard for all promises, he has had no need to resort to exaggeration in any of his claims concerning his achievements. It is therefore with the quiet humor characteristic of the man that in one of his circular letters he refers to the long standing of the business and the comparatively ancient relations of his family with the stock breeding enterprise. Seventy years or so past his great-grandfather, Robert Scott, kept a breeding stable on Scott's Ridge in Marion County, Kentucky. At his death George S.. a son, continued the business, and in 1856 moved to Andrew County. Missouri, where he died soon afterward. Then came George's son. S. M. Scott, who took up the business and in 1866 commenced the breeding of jacks and jennets and continued it until his death in 1898. Mr. G. M. Scott began the same business for himself in 1873.
G. M. Scott, to take up some of the further details of his career and his ancestry, was born in Platte Township of Andrew County November 20, 1861, a son of S. M. and Elizabeth C. (Abell) Scott, both of whom were born in Marion County, Kentucky. The great-grandfather, Robert Scott, was born and died in Kentucky, and was in business as a breeder of jacks and horses.
The grandfather, George S. Scott, married Rachel Miller, both being natives of Kentucky, and George came to Northwest Missouri with his son in 1856, and died about six months after his arrival. His wife also passed away in this county. The late S. M. Scott was born in Marion County, Kentucky, in 1834, and died January 4, 1898, aged sixty-three years, six months and seven days. His wife was born March 21, 1835, and now lives on a farm adjoining that of her son, G. M. Scott. S. M. Scott, after first locating in Andrew County, returned to Kentucky in 1857 and was married in that state. On coming to Andrew County he entered land from the Government, and during the war sold out and lived in Illinois from 1862 to 1866. On coming back to Andrew County after the war he bought what is known as the old homestead on Rock Creek, and at one time owned about a thousand acres in this township. Besides his regular business as a breeder of jacks, jennets, mules and horses, he was for several years well known as a breeder of Durham cattle. S. M. Scott was a lifelong democrat, and a Baptist, and his widow is a member of the Baptist Church at Whitesville. Their five children were: G. M. Scott; Fannie M., living with her mother; Nannie E., who died in 1895, as the wife of W. E. Younger; Eliza Alice of St. Joseph; and Samuel P., with his mother.
Mr. G. M. Scott has lived on his present place, the Quiet Glen Farm, since his marriage on December 19, 1883, to Mary Bell Smith. Their children are: Bonnie Scott Garrett of Platte Township; Annie Scott Warrick of St. Joseph, Missouri; and Freeman Scott, attending high school at St. Joseph. Mrs. Scott was born in Platte Township September 3, 1864, a daughter of Thomas K. and Eliza (Allen) Smith. Her father was born in Missouri and her mother in Illinois, and both died on their old farm. The Quiet Glen Farm is an estate of 390 acres, and its nearest railroad station is Rea.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1746-1747; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Orliff V. Sells. As manager of the Mutual Telephone Company of Andrew County, Mr. Sells has proved essentially to be "the right man” in all aspects. He is a son of James P. and Mary (Joy) Sells, both natives of Ohio and both of whom came to Missouri about the year 1865, their marriage having been solemnized in this state, where the father was long a substantial and representative farmer and stock grower. His devoted wife was summoned to the life eternal in 1908, at the age of seventy years, and after years of earnest and fruitful endeavor he is now living retired in the City of Los Angeles, California. Of the three children, Orliff V. is the eldest; Frank is now a resident of Colorado; and Lee maintains his home at Laclede, Linn County, Missouri.
Orliff V. Sells has never faltered in his loyalty and allegiance to the county of his birth and has been a resident within its borders all his life, his early years having been compassed by the conditions and influence of the home farm and his educational advantages having included those of the high school in Savannah, judicial center of the county. That he made good use of the opportunities thus afforded is shown by the fact that for some time he was found numbered among the successful and popular teachers in the district schools of his home county. Thereafter he engaged in the insurance business, and for nine years he has been actively identified with the telephone business. He has been the progressive and valued manager of the Mutual Telephone Company since 1907 and the service of the system has been brought up to its present admirable status not less through its excellent physical equipment than through his efficient management.
Mr. Sells is a staunch democrat in a county that has long been a republican stronghold, and thus it was but a normal political exigency that he met defeat at the polls when he appeared as his party's candidate for the office of county clerk. He served six years as city collector of Savannah, which has been his place of residence from the time he retired from the pedagogic profession, and he was for eight years a member of the board of education. He and his wife are zealous and valued members of the Baptist Church at Savannah, and he is serving both as clerk and treasurer of the same.
In 1898 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Sells to Miss Alice Cobb, who likewise was born and reared in Andrew County, a daughter of Amos Cobb, and the four children of this union are Vincent, Harold, Raymond and Margaret.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1481-1482; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


William H. Sharp. In the prosperous little village of Helena, Andrew County, the chief factor in business enterprise is William H. Sharp, the vice president and cashier of the Exchange Bank of Helena. In 1900 Mr. W. M. Walker and Mr. Sharp established this bank as a private institution, each gentleman having half interest. Its ownership has remained the same and its management has been under the direction of Mr. Sharp for the past fifteen years. Mr. Walker, the president, resides at Atchison, Kansas. This is one of the accommodating private banks of Northwest Missouri, has a large total of resources, and has been an important factor in the business and agricultural community at which it is the center. A recent statement shows the total resources to be more than a hundred thousand dollars, and this is a fine showing for a town the size of Helena. Its capital stock paid in is $5,000, its surplus fund $10,000, and net undivided profits amount to more than ten thousand dollars. The aggregate deposits amount to more than seventy-five thousand dollars.
William H. Sharp was born in Doniphan County, Kansas, March 25, 1866, a son of Joseph D. and Elizabeth Sharp. His father and mother were both born in Tennessee and they were married at Knoxville, Tennessee, and in 1863 settled in Northeastern Kansas. About 1888 they moved to Oklahoma, and spent the rest of their days near El Reno. The father spent most of his life as a farmer, and for several years in Tennessee was engaged in merchandising. Mr. William H. Sharp was one of the youngest of ten children. Three are now living, the other two being: Mrs. Martha Bunson of Elk City, Oklahoma; and Mrs. Alice T. Cortelyou of Muscotah, Kansas.
William H. Sharp grew up on a farm in Kansas, and lived there until he was married in 1884. His education came from the country schools, and his early experience made him ready for his first venture after his marriage as a farmer. After farming for about three years, he took work under his uncle in a sawmill in Arkansas. On returning to Effingham, Kansas, he became assistant cashier in the State Bank of Effingham. He began in that work in 1891 and remained eighteen months. The cashier of the bank was Gilbert Campbell, regarded as one of the best bankers in Eastern Kansas, and under his capable direction Mr. Sharp secured an unusually thorough training in the banking business. W. M. Walker, who is now president of the Exchange Bank of Helena, subsequently bought stock in the State Bank of Effingham, and took the position of assistant cashier. After that he returned to the farm for three years, and then engaged in the lumber, stock and grain business at Muscotah in Atchison County. He was in that business five years, and in 1900 came to Helena, Andrew County, and besides organizing the bank opened up a lumber and hardware store. He continued this mercantile business for several years, but now gives most of his time to his duties as vice president and cashier of the bank. Since 1907, Mrs. Sharp, his wife, has held the post of assistant cashier.
Mr. Sharp is one of the active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Helena, and president of the official board. He is affiliated with Rochester Lodge No. 248, A. F. & A. M. Outside of business he is devoted to home and church, and takes much interest in music. In 1884 Mr. Sharp married Ella R. Best, who was born at Monrovia, Kansas, in 1861, a daughter of Capt. A. S. and Malinda (Bricker) Best, both natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Sharp's children are mentioned as follows: Bearl, who died at the age of ten months; Joseph Aaron, who died at the age of three months; John Harvey, who died in infancy; Ralph, who died at the age of three years; Albert, who is now fourteen years of age; and Twila, aged twelve years.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1739-1740; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Charles C. Sigrist. One of the substantial men of Andrew County, who has practically spent his entire life in Rochester Township, where he owns an exceptionally fine farm, is Charles C. Sigrist, a member of well-known old families of this section. He was born at Rochester, February 7, 1864, and is a son of Philip and Mary L. (Walter) Sigrist. His father was born in France, February 27, 1834, and died at Denver, Colorado, in 1893, having been a resident of the United States from infancy, and for forty-five years of Missouri. In 1856 he was married in Andrew County to Mary L. Walter, who was born in Ohio in 1836, and died at Rochester when aged sixty-three years. Her parents were David and Mary (Sherr) Walter, the birthplace of both having been Strasburg, Germany. After emigrating to the United States they settled in Ohio and early in the '50s came to Andrew County, Missouri, entering land near Rochester.
Grandfather Walter was a baker by trade, and he also engaged in farming and was one of the early money lenders, his German thrift enabling him to accumulate the means which afterward preserved his neighbors from distress on many occasions. He and wife were interred in the cemetery at Rochester. They reared a family of six sons and seven daughters.
Charles C. Sigrist was educated in the public schools of Rochester. He entered business first as a stock clerk for the Saint Joseph firm of Tootle, Hosea & Co., where he continued about one year and then returned his mercantile interests over to his sons, Charles C. and R. E. Sigrist, and they continued as partners, under the firm name of Sigrist Brothers, for twenty years. In 1908 Charles C. Sigrist sold his interest to his brother and since then has devoted himself to agricultural pursuits. He bought the old Judge Snowden farm of 155 acres, which lies one half mile north of Rochester, a finely improved property which numbers among its attractions a lake well stocked with fish and by Mr. Sigrist equipped with pleasure boats.
Mr. Sigrist was married February 23, 1890, to Miss Bettie Taylor, who was born at Rochester in 1871, and is a daughter of James and Margaret (Beers) Taylor, the former of whom is deceased. The mother of Mrs. Sigrist resides at Rochester. Mr. and Mrs. Sigrist have had nine children: Flossie Pearl, who is the wife of Leon Chaney of Rochester, and they have two children, Irene and Leona; Maggie May, who died when aged three years; and Anna Belle, Jennings Bryan, James Taylor, Edna, Charles Raybun, William Rufus and Catherine Mary, who reside with their parents. The children are being given educational and social advantages and all are numbered with the representative people of this part of the county. Mr. Sigrist follows in the footsteps of his father in being a stanch democrat, but he has never consented to hold public office. He belongs to the fraternal order of Odd Fellows, being identified with the lodge at Helena.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1767-1768; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


R. E. Sigrist. As proprietor of one of the oldest mercantile houses in Rochester Township, Andrew County, and as postmaster of Rochester for the past twenty-one years, R. E. Sigrist may justly be mentioned as one of the best known men in this section. He is a native of Rochester, born June 7, 1861, and is a son of Philip and Mary L. (Walters) Sigrist.
Philip Sigrist, for many years a leading citizen of Andrew County, was born in France, February 27, 1834, and in infancy was brought to the United States by his parents. They settled in Pennsylvania and he continued to live in that state until 1855, when he came to Andrew County and established himself in the wagon-making business, a trade he had learned in Pennsylvania. Later he engaged also in undertaking and, being a man of great business enterprise, in 1885 started a general store, founding the business which has been continued ever since arid which is now the sole property of his son, R. E. Sigrist. Philip Sigrist was made postmaster under the democratic administration, and was also a justice of the peace for fifteen years. He continued all his enterprises until an accident befell him which made it necessary to practically retire, and in 1888 he turned his mercantile interests over to his sons, R. E. and C. C. Sigrist. In 1890 he went to Denver, Colorado, and died there three years later. On February 28,1856, he was married in Andrew County to Mary L. Walters, who was born in Ohio in 1836, and six children were born to them: Emma, who is the wife of J. A. Belton, resides at Helena, Missouri; Henry, who died when aged eleven years; R. E.; Charles C., who is a farmer in Rochester Township; Willie, who died when aged ten months; and Cora E., who is the wife of C. E. Caldwell, of Rochester Township. After the father of the above family died in Colorado the mother returned to Rochester, where her death occurred at the age of sixty-three years.
R. E. Sigrist was educated in the public schools and as soon as old enough gave his father assistance, and has been identified with the present store ever since it was started in 1885. For three years he was with his father, and afterward carried on the business in partnership with his brother, C. C. Sigrist, until 1908, when the brother retired to his farm after selling his interest to R. E., who has continued alone ever since. He carries a large and well selected stock, and as a business man enjoys the confidence of patrons all over this section of the county. Mr. Sigrist has always been a democrat in politics, but has never accepted any public office except that of postmaster, his appointment dating April 26, 1894. This office is one of considerable importance and Mr. Sigrist makes it his business to see that its service is entirely satisfactory.
Mr. Sigrist was married May 23, 1890, to Miss Ada Brown, who was born in Andrew County, Missouri, in September, 1870, and is a daughter of Gorman and Sarah Brown, the former of whom is deceased. The mother of Mrs. Sigrist makes her home with her daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Sigrist have five children: Elmer P., who is a resident of Saint Joseph, Missouri; G. Fred, who is a student in the Saint Louis University; Ralph E., who is attending school at Rochester; and Maude and Lester, who are twins.
Mr. Sigrist belongs to a number of the fraternal organizations of the country. He has been an Odd Fellow for many years, following the example of his father, and belongs also to Lodge No. 334, Knights of Pythias, at Rochester, and to Lodge No. 66, Elks, at Helena, Missouri.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1768-1769; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


James A. Slade. Prominent among the men who are ably representing the farming interests of Andrew County is found James A. Slade, proprietor of Fairview Farm, a handsome tract of land lying in Rochester Township. Mr. Slade is well known to the people of his locality, where he has spent his entire life, and bears the reputation of being a business man of sterling integrity and a citizen who is always found favoring advancement in any direction.  
His only brother, Thomas Slade, was killed in the naval engagement in Chesapeake Bay, in 1813. James A. Slade's maternal great-grandfather was Maj. John Cartmell, a well-known officer of the Revolution. William W. P. Slade was born near Franklin, Bedford County, Tennessee, August 4, 1825, and was four years of age when his parents brought him to Lafayette County, Missouri. There he was reared and educated, and was living on his father's farm when the Mexican war commenced, and he at once enlisted for service under General Lanigan, continuing in the service for two years. He then returned to Andrew County, whence his father had preceded him, and here he entered two farms, comprising 16-4 acres, in the cultivation of which he was engaged during the remainder of his active life. In his declining years he retired from activity and moved to Helena, Missouri, where his death occurred March 24, 1912. Mrs. Slade, who was born in Indiana, March 10, 1826, died on the farm, March 9, 1899. Mr. Slade played an active part in local events during the Civil war, he serving all through that struggle as a member of the Twelfth Missouri Cavalry, his term expiring April 6, 1866. Later he went on expeditions against the Sioux Indians, and remained in the regular army, being appointed by Governor Fletcher as drillmaster and recruiting officer. He drilled the Ninety-seventh Missouri Cavalry, the drill grounds being near his home, and a large part of his life was devoted to military matters. A democrat in politics, he served at times as justice of the peace, township collector, school director and a member of various commissions. He was an elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church from the time of his eighteenth year until his death.
The children born to William W. P. and Isabella (McDonald) Slade were as follows: T. D., who met his death in a railroad accident, June 26, 1903, leaving a widow and five daughters; Sophia, who is the wife of J. F. Beeler, of Helena; Betty, who is the wife of Albert Wilkerson, of Union Township; Mary S., who is the wife of A. J. Mathersead, of Wallace, Nebraska; Susie, a resident of Helena; John, a wealthy and prominent farmer of Andrew County; James A., of this review; Abbie, who is the wife of L. D. Fisher, of Union Station; R. W., who is in the United States Secret Service, and is located at Denver, Colorado; and two children who died in infancy.
James A. Slade secured a public school education, and while he has always been engaged in farming, he was also for twenty-three years engaged in teaching school, becoming well and prominently known as an educator in Buchanan and Andrew counties. At this time he is the owner of a farm of 135 ½  acres, one-half mile south of Helena, which is. under a high state of cultivation, and which he devotes to general farming, the raising of hay and grain, and the breeding of a fine strain of livestock. Here he has erected modern, substantial buildings, including a comfortable eight-room house, and has his own water and light works. He is a good agriculturist, using practical and modern methods, and in business circles his name is honored on commercial paper. In politics Mr. Slade is a democrat, his religious faith is that of the Presbyterian Church, and fraternally he is connected with the Masons.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1877-1878; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Thomas Slawson. Those economists and philosophers who have given the most thorough study to American problems and whose judgment deserves the highest consideration have frequently pointed out in recent years that the greatest and primary need of the country is more and better production from the land, rather than in the increase of commercial and industrial activities. For many years to come, say these scholars, American soil must produce not merely a sufficiency to supply the needs of our own country, but for the markets abroad. Since the area and resources of the United States are now thoroughly known, are not capable of continued expansion, the solution of the problem seems to rest upon more intensive cultivation, the making of one acre yield more than it has ever done before and the general improvement of the quality of the products, and this is exactly what the foremost agriculturists are doing and what the prominent agricultural associations are advocating. The slogan of the Missouri State Corn Growers' Association is '-'increase the yield, improve the quality."
In Northwest Missouri one of the best exponents of this new philosophy of intensive cultivation and of better quality is Thomas Slawson, of Rea, Andrew County. Mr. Slawson is one of the vice presidents of the Missouri State Corn Growers' Association, and is known over all the corn belt as the prize winner in the production of seed corn. His farm in section 28 of Platte Township is known as the Edgewood Seed Farm, and its products have been exhibited at hundreds of corn shows and agricultural fairs, have gained ribbons and prizes by the dozen and hundreds, and samples of the Slawson corn have been admired and inspected by thousands. While it is a most creditable occupation to grow the products of the field to supply the needs of direct consumption, it is a business many degrees higher in importance to supply the grain that can be used by hundreds of other farmers to plant their fields. That is the life work of Thomas Slawson, an Ohio man, who came into Andrew County a little over thirty years ago and has since made himself a factor in the development and progress of the great corn belt of the Middle West.
Thomas Slawson was born in Delaware County, Ohio, July 8, 1849, a son of Samuel and Ellen (Grant) Slawson. His father was born in New York and his mother in Rhode Island, grew up in Ohio and was married in that state. The mother died in Delaware County in 1900 at the age of sixty-four, and the father spent the last six years of his life with his son Thomas in Andrew County, dying in 1907 at the age of eighty-four. He was a farmer by general vocation, and also for a number of years dealt in lumber and walnut logs. He was also a great lover of horses and stock cattle, and in the early part of his career had bought and shipped stock from the Middle West to Buffalo and New York. There were just two children in the family, Thomas and Alice, the latter the wife of I. M. Spohn of Whitesville.
Thomas Slawson was reared in Ohio, received his education there, and in 1880 came out to Missouri and located at Rosendale. Two years later he established his home on his present farm, which comprises 585 acres, all of it in one body except 120 acres. The land is, as a matter of course, in the highest state of development, and Mr. Slawson has taken great care to conserve and improve the resources of the land and make them in the highest degree efficient for his purposes. While his business as a raiser of seed corn is perhaps of primary importance, he also keeps a large herd of stock, chiefly Shorthorn cattle. He is a man of original mind. He attended fairs  and shows all over the Middle West that Mr. Slawson's name is most widely known. He has been one of the prominent exhibitors at the National Corn Show in Omaha for several years. In 1909 he won a prize of $100 on a single ear of corn at Des Moines, in a contest open to the world, and against about three thousand rivals for the prize. In 1908 he won first premium on yellow and white corn, and in 1909 his exhibit received the first premiums in the Missouri class at the National Corn Show in Omaha. He won two firsts at Columbia in the Missouri State Corn Show, one on the acre yield and the other on ten ears of white corn. At Dallas, Texas, in 1914, the first prize was given to the Slawson exhibit of oats. He also won two first premiums at the Sedalia State Fair, one each for yellow and white corn, in 1913, including the grand champion prize on corn.
Also in 1913 he was given two first premiums and champion prize at the St. Joseph Interstate Fair. He has taken many other champion and sweepstake prizes, and has exhibited at more than two hundred fairs and shows. He has more than three hundred ribbons as proof of the honors won by his exhibits. Mr. Slawson sells seed corn all over the corn belt, and in this way disposes of about a thousand bushels annually, all of it raised in his own fields and commanding prices of from $2.50 to $5 per bushel. One year Mr. Slawson paid out more than three hundred dollars in order to buy back from the different fairs and shows his own exhibits, in order to carry them on to other fairs. During one year his cash premiums aggregated $350.
Besides the numerous ribbons which have been bestowed on his exhibits, Mr. Slawson also has three trophy cups and two gold medals, the latter being awarded at Omaha, one in 1908 and the other in 1909. In order to hold the cups he had to win three consecutive times, and these cups are now in his permanent possession.
Mr. Slawson is a director of the Savannah Agricultural and Mechanical Society, and has been an assistant superintendent since its organization. He has been an important factor and one of the vice presidents for several years of the. Missouri Corn Growers' Association. It is a matter of interest to note that some of the products from Mr. Slawson's fields were selected as part of the Missouri corn exhibit for the San Francisco Exposition of 1915. While he has done much along these lines to stimulate larger yields and better farming methods, he does not stop short of what he accomplishes through his own products, but lends his voice and argument wherever possible to better farming methods and especially to better stock. In his home community he has always been a public spirited worker for improvements. For three years he served as road overseer in his district, and the roads were kept in such excellent condition during that time that photographs were taken of them for exhibits in other places. Mr. Slawson has furnished grain from his farm for class work in the Maryville Normal, the Savannah High School and also the agricultural school at the State University.
In 1882 Mr. Slawson married Agnes Heaverlo. She was born in Delaware County, Ohio, July 13, 1853, a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Eakelbery) Heaverlo. Both her parents were natives of Ohio and in the fall of 1880 came to Andrew County and spent the rest of their lives on a farm near Rosendale. Mr. and Mrs. Slawson are the parents of eight children.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1779-1780; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Grover C. Sparks. That, a young man should be elected to the important office of prosecuting attorney of Andrew County when but twenty-seven years of age argues forcibly for his possession of ability in his profession and for the confidence in which he is held by his fellow citizens. Such is the record of Grover C. Sparks, who was the incumbent of this office from 1912 to 1914 and whose services have firmly established him as one of his county's most efficient and popular officials. Mr. Sparks is a native of this county, having been born on his father's farm in Jackson Township throughout the remainder of his career, and died in 1890, when about thirty-eight years of age.
Mrs. Sparks was born on a farm five miles northwest of Savannah, Missouri, a daughter of William Bohart, a pioneer of Missouri, who came from Indiana to Holt County in 1856, and in 1860 removed to Andrew County, where both he and Mrs. Bohart passed away. Mrs. Sparks still survives her husband and makes her home seven miles east of Savannah. She has been the mother of two children: Lulu, who is the wife of Charles Beaty, of Helena, Andrew County; and Grover C.
Grover C. Sparks was reared on a farm until sixteen years of age, in the meantime securing his primary education in the district schools of Empire Township. Following this, he attended the academy at Hiawatha, Kansas, from which institution he was graduated with the class of 1907, and at once took up the study of law. After some preparation he entered the State University of Missouri, and in 1911 graduated and was given his degree of Bachelor of Law. Being admitted to practice in May of that year, he at once opened an office at St. Joseph, but subsequently removed to Savannah, and this city has since been his field of activity and the scene of his success. His ability was soon recognized, and in November, 1912, he became the candidate of the Democratic Party for the office of prosecuting attorney. In spite of the fact that Andrew County ordinarily goes republican by a majority of 400, Mr. Sparks secured the election by a plurality of 310 votes. His services in this capacity have entirely vindicated the faith reposed in him by the people.
He is a member of various organizations of his profession, and stands high in the esteem of his fellow-practitioners. Fraternally, Mr. Sparks is connected with the local lodges of the Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Aside from the duties of his profession and his office, he has taken much interest in the cause of temperance, and has been active in movements promising its advancement.
On December 20, 1913, Mr. Sparks was married to Miss Lillian Danforth, of Warrensburg, Missouri, daughter of J. S. Danforth. Mr. and Mrs. Sparks are consistent members of the Baptist Church.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1659-1660; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Alexander Lee Steeby. One of the children of the fine old pioneer, the late Judge G. Steeby. Alexander Lee Steeby has spent his life in Andrew County and is one of the most capable farmers and public spirited citizens of Lincoln Township, his valuable homestead being located in section 8.
Alexander Lee Steeby was born January 19, 1869, near his present home in Lincoln Township. After his marriage he bought a farm in Jackson Township of one hundred acres, and increased its extent until he had over two hundred acres. He lived there twelve years and then sold and bought his present farm, comprising 221 acres. This is only part of his land holdings, however, since he owns a good farm of 140 acres in Jackson Township, which is worked on the shares under his direct supervision. He also has a quarter section of land in Palmer County, Texas. Mr. Steeby's farm shows the well ordered enterprise which has characterized his career as a Northwest Missouri farmer. He and his family reside in a large eight-room house, surrounded with barns and other equipment, and his efforts have taken the direction of grain and stock farming. He is also a stockholder in the Farmers Bank of Nodaway.
Mr. Steeby is a republican in politics and he and his family worship in the Methodist Church. Their church home is known as Union locality. To this union have been born three children, George W., Mary and Herbert.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1975-1977; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Eli Franklin Steeby. On other pages is recited the career and long continued activities of Judge Gottlieb Steeby, who lived in Andrew County sixty years and built up a splendid estate, aggregating about nine hundred acres of land. The oldest of his living children is Eli Franklin Steeby, who in his own career has exemplified the same rugged qualities and successful judgment that characterized his father, and now has a large stock and grain farm in section 17 of Lincoln Township.
Eli Franklin Steeby was born in Lincoln Township, Andrew County, December 27, 1859, the second of the fourteen children born to Gottlieb and Mary (Moser) Steeby. Lincoln Township has been his only home through all the years since his birth, and he continued with his parents through boyhood and early manhood, gaining his education in the local schools and disciplining his body and mind by active contact with the duties of a farm. After his marriage Mr. Steeby bought his first place of 172 acres. A number of years ago he made a specialty of apple raising and at one time had sixty acres in orchard. As the trees have become burdened with age and have largely ceased bearing, he has cut away most of the orchard and now devotes the ground to grain and stock farming, in which he has been peculiarly successful.
Mr. Steeby is a republican in politics and with his family worships in the Christian Church at Nodaway. On January 19, 1881, he married Mary Wilson, who was born in Lincoln Township October 4, 1863, and like her husband has always lived in this one locality. Her parents were Milus and Lucinda Anna (Baldwin) Wilson. Both her parents were also natives of Northwest Missouri. Her mother died in 1865, after having two children, and her father married again and had eight children by his second wife. Mr. and Mrs. Steeby are the parents of six children: Eftie May, wife of Milus Wilson of Lincoln Township; William Lewis, of Lincoln Township; Alexander Ray; Aaron Ira; Milus Gottlieb; and Opal Marie.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1977; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 


Gottlieb Steeby. One of the rugged pioneer citizens of Andrew County passed away in death at his home on November 8, 1913. Gottlieb Steeby had a place of no small influence during his residence of sixty years in this county of Northwest Missouri. His life was marked by simplicity, by honest and industrious effort, capable dealings in a business way, and the utmost integrity in all his relations with society and his fellow men.
In Tuscarawas County, Ohio, February 17, 1834, he was born as the oldest of four children in the family of George and Mary (Schwendeman) Steeby. His father was of English stock and his mother of German descent, and both were born in Pennsylvania, the former on July 20, 1813, and the latter on July 25, 1807. They were married in their native state and at once removed to Ohio where they entered forty acres of raw land in Tuscarawas County. George Steeby in early life worked at the millwright's trade, but later was a furniture dealer in Ragersville, where he died in 1867. Throughout his life he voted consistently with the Democratic Party, and was a member of the Presbyterian Church. His wife survived him and was past eighty years of age at the time of her death.
Gottlieb Steeby grew up in a home of modest comfort and yet his surroundings were such as to encourage his self reliance and his determination to affect something in life. His education was that supplied by the country schools of his time and place, and at the age of sixteen he began learning the carpenter's trade and was employed in that line for three years in Ohio. It was in 1853 that he sought a home on the frontier, and on arriving in Savannah, Missouri, had only fifty cents and an extra suit of clothes. In a short time by his trade he was earning nine dollars a week, and continued industriously in that work in Savannah for three years. He then went to Nebraska Territory, but was satisfied to remain there only one year, after which he returned to Amazonia in Andrew County, and worked as a carpenter four years, part of the time in St. Joseph. In 1862 he bought forty acres of land near Amazonia, and attempted to divert his energies to farming as a permanent occupation. He soon found that his farm was too small, and accordingly sold out in the fall of 1864 and in February of the next year removed to Lincoln Township, which was subsequently the scene of his exceptionally successful efforts as a farmer and land holder. His first purchase was 120 acres, and for several years he combined his trade with the tilling of his fields and harvesting of his crops. In the meantime he prospered and his surplus capital was reinvested in additional lands, until within less than twenty-five years after his service as a farmer he was the owner of nearly eight hundred acres in Andrew County.
Gottlieb Steeby was not a man to restrict his influence and efforts to his own interests, but was a man of power in the community. In November, 1880, he was elected a member of the County Court for one term, and in April, 1866, had been chosen a school director in his district, and held that position for many years.
On February 12, 1857, Mr. Steeby married Miss Mary Moser of Ohio, who was reared in Andrew County. Gottlieb Steeby was an active republican and he and his wife belonged to the Presbyterian Church. He had survived more than twenty years, her death having occurred on July 26, 1893. Gottlieb Steeby and wife were the parents of fourteen children, mentioned briefly as follows: William Columbus, who died in June, 1873; Eli Franklin, of Lincoln Township, Andrew County; Alice, wife of R. T. Turner of Andrew County; Sarah, now deceased, who was the wife of Joseph Mann; John Sherman, of Arkansas; Peter Gottlieb, deceased; Alexander Lee; Henry Grant, of Jefferson Township; Ella May, wife of Ed Mann of Nodaway Township; Ida, wife of Michael Nester of Lincoln Township; Susan, deceased wife of John Martie; Lulu, wife of Oliver Martie of Lincoln Township; Ombra Davis of Oklahoma; Lena, wife of Ernest Zahnd of Lincoln Township.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1975-1976; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Maj. William Dale Stepp, a well-known attorney-at-law of Trenton, Grundy County, was born in that city September 12, 1873, a son of Hon. Paris C. D. Stepp. He comes of Revolutionary stock, his great-grandfather, James Stepp, having served in the Revolutionary war under Gen. Francis Marion. James Stepp subsequently removed from North Carolina to Kentucky, settling on the Cumberland River in pioneer days. Among his children were three sons, Golson, Reuben and Joshua, the latter being the Major's grandfather.
Joshua Stepp was born October 19, 1800, in North Carolina and as a boy accompanied his parents to Kentucky. There, in 1827, he was united in marriage with Rebecca Owen, who was born in the vicinity of Sweet Briar Springs, Virginia, and as a small child was taken by her parents to Kentucky. Soon after his marriage he migrated with his bride to Indiana, becoming an early settler of Monroe County, where he bought land, and was engaged in farming until 1853. In the spring of that year, again seized with the wanderlust he started for Oregon, an almost unknown country at that time. There were then no railways west of Bloomington, Indiana, and the removal was of necessity made with ox teams. He left Indiana with his entire family, consisting of himself, wife, and fifteen children, and took with him all of his worldly goods.
He crossed the Mississippi River at Alton, the Missouri at Lexington, and while camping on Missouri ground was induced by the few settlers already established in that vicinity to locate there. Listening to their persuasions, he bought, in Grundy County, a tract of land- on Honey Creek, known as the Tadlock Farm, and also other tracts amounting in all to 320 acres, the greater part of which was in its primitive wildness. With the assistance of his children he cleared the larger portion of his land, erected a substantial set of buildings, and was there a resident until his death, in 1884. His wife also spent her last years on the homestead, dying in 1885. She had a brother, Greenberry Owen, who moved from his native state, Indiana, to Illinois, and a sister, Mrs. Blanche Avers, who settled in Missouri, and another sister, Mrs. Irene Murphy, who became a resident of Ohio.
The children reared by Joshua and Rebecca (Owen) Stepp were as follows: Jackson, Greenberry O., William L., Leonard, Thomas O., Paris C. D., George D., Louisa, Lourena, Minerva J., Arthusa, Sarah J., Sumilda, Perilda and Elvira.
Paris C. D. Stepp was a lad of eight years when he came with the family to Grundy County, Missouri. The country had then been settled twenty years, but there were neither railroads nor navigable streams, and but little of the land was improved, the lines of neighborhood being far extended. In the winter of 1853-1854 he attended a school taught by one of his older sisters in a log cabin that was heated by a fireplace, while the rude slab seats had neither backs nor desks in front. For several years when not in school he assisted in clearing the land and tilling the soil. As soon as old enough, in 1864, he enlisted in the Tenth Kansas Regiment, and did guard duty at St. Louis for awhile, after which he was honorably discharged.
On July 20, 1864, Paris C. D. Stepp enlisted in Company E, Twelfth Missouri Cavalry, and going South was soon in the thickest of the fight. On August 10, 1864, he was in battle on the Chattahoochie River, and later was with Smith's Division in the Oxford campaign. On September 30, 1864, he started with his command in pursuit of General Forrest's troops, but at Clifton, Tennessee, his command was ordered to Paducah to meet General Hood's troops, which were en route to Nashville, and from September 8th until September 19th was continuously engaged with the enemy. On the latter date, being far outnumbered by the enemy, he was forced, with his comrades, to retreat to Columbia. From that time he was with his command, and in one of the battles before Nashville, Paris C. D. Stepp received his only wound while in service, a minnie ball piercing his arm. He was in a stooping posture when hit, and after piercing his arm the ball passed through seventeen letters that he had in his pocket, and then landed in his cap pouch without doing other harm than inflicting the flesh wound on Mr. Stepp's arm.
After the Battle of Nashville, Mr. Stepp was with his command in Alabama and Mississippi until the spring of 1866 when he went with his command to the Northwest to assist in looking after the Indians, who were then on the war path, going by way of Fort Leavenworth to Omaha, thence to the Powder River country, where his command had several engagements with the Indians. He spent the winter with his command at Forts Laramie and Sedgwick, guarding the United States overland mail, and in the spring of 1866 was honorably discharged.
Returning to Trenton, Paris C. D. Stepp farmed, taught school and attended school the next three years. In 1869 he entered the Indiana State University, at Bloomington, Indiana, where he remained a year. He then studied law in the office of Colonel Shanklin, and in 1871 was admitted to the bar before Circuit Court Judge R. A. DeBolt.
The ensuing year he taught in the Trenton High School, and the following four years served as county surveyor. In 1876, he was elected as a representative to the State Legislature, and in 1878 was elected probate judge, serving so acceptably, that in 1884, and again in 1888, he was honored with a re-election to the same office, which he filled for twelve years. He was a member of Trenton School Board from 1880 until 1890. In 1892 he was elected judge of the Third Judicial Circuit of Missouri and reelected to same office in 1898, serving twelve years, his last term expiring January 1, 1904. In the spring of 1907, he removed to Riverton, Wyoming, where he has since been actively and successfully engaged in the practice of law.
On November 24, 1872, Paris C. D. Stepp was united in marriage with Mary Elizabeth Fleming, with whom he became acquainted while teaching school in Andrew County, Missouri, which was her birthplace. Her father, Elijah Franklin Fleming, was born in Flemingsburg, Kentucky, June 12, 1811, and died in Andrew County, Missouri, April 5, 1892.
He was reared in Kentucky, and as a young man went to Indiana, where, in 1844, he married Sarah Jane Francis. In 1853, Mr. Fleming came with his family to Andrew County and bought land lying two miles west of the courthouse in Savannah. Subsequently disposing of that land, he bought another tract twelve miles north of Savannah, and was there engaged in farming and stock raising until his death. Mrs. Mary E. (Fleming) Stepp, mother of Major Stepp, died October 2, 1901, and his father, Paris C. D. Stepp, married for his second wife, Carrie Evans, a daughter of J. B. Evans, of Princeton, Missouri.
Acquiring his rudimentary education in the Trenton public schools, William Dale Stepp continued his studies at the Gem City Business College, in Quincy, Illinois, and at the University of Missouri, in Columbia. Admitted to the bar in 1895, Mr. Stepp began the practice of his profession in Trenton, being in company with his father until 1907.
Upon the organization of Company D, Fourth Regiment, Missouri National Guard, on May 2, 1902, Mr. Stepp was elected first lieutenant of the company, and commissioned by Governor Dockery, the commission bearing date of May 23, 1002. In December of the same year, the captain of the company having resigned, he was elected to fill the vacancy, receiving his commission as captain from Governor Dockery on December 12, 1902. On July 24, 1909, he was elected a major in the Fourth Regiment and received his major's commission August 21, 1909, ranking from July 24, 1909, and still holds that rank in his regiment, having been continuously and actively connected with the guard since May 2, 1902.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1812-1815; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Samuel B. Stewart. One of the best known resident of Andrew County is Samuel B. Stewart, who has lived in the vicinity of Savannah nearly all his life, and is now a resident of the county seat and semiretired. Mr. Stewart is a man of extensive interests, and has had an interesting career.  In the early days he knew Joseph Robidoux, the founder and pioneer of St. Joseph. His death occurred when Samuel B. was five years of age and the mother died about the same time. There were four children: Frances Gillespie; Martha Sherman, deceased; Robert, of Reserve, Kansas; and Samuel B.
After the death of the parents Samuel and his brother were adopted by the late David Moran, a wealthy farmer and land owner whose home was about eight miles east of Savannah. Mr. Stewart lived with Mr. Moran until the latter's death. He had an average education in the country schools and learned to work on his foster father's farm, and at the death of his benefactor inherited a farm of 500 acres which he still owns. In the fall of 1905 Mr. Stewart moved to Savannah, and his son, Robert, now operates the place. Mr. Stewart was active manager of Mr. Moran's large land holdings and in all his business operations has proved himself a capable and energetic worker. Since moving to Savannah he has engaged in the buying and shipping of live stock and for a time had a livery establishment.
Mr. Stewart is a democrat in politics, and at one time was candidate for the office of sheriff, but otherwise has not sought any public honors. Mr. Stewart was a party to the most famous lawsuit ever tried in Andrew County, and it is a case with which lawyers all over Missouri are familiar. This case, entitled Moran vs. Stewart, was a long drawn out piece of litigation, and was in the courts from 1891 to 1913. The Supreme Court reviewed the judgments of the lower courts five different times, and it will probably stand for many years as one of the record cases tried in Missouri. A complete account of this case is found in the Missouri Reports of the Supreme Court and was also published in the Southwestern Reporter of January 1, 1913.
In 1876 Mr. Stewart married Hettie Carson, who was born in Andrew County, October 5, 1852, daughter of Joseph Carson. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart are the parents of three children: David M., who lives in San Francisco, California; Robert, who is active manager of his father's farm; and Eva, wife of Carl Lambright of Hot Springs, South Dakota.
Joseph Carson, father of Mrs. Stewart, was born in Rockcastle County, Kentucky, December 12, 1812. When a child he lost his father, had only limited opportunities for gaining an education, but eventually succeeded in life. He learned the trade of stone mason, and came to Missouri in the latter 1840s with wife and two children. He entered land along the Platte River in Andrew County, sold that, and finally bought 160 acres of some of the finest land in this vicinity. He lived on that farm, eight miles east of Savannah, until seventy-five years of age, and spent his latter years in King City, where he died in December, 1892. He was a member of the Christian Church from boyhood and in politics a democrat. Joseph Carson was married in Kentucky to Margaret Montgomery, a native of that state. She died in 1855, and her five children were: Elizabeth, who died young; Joseph R., a farmer in Gentry County; Mary J., deceased wife of Luther Carter; Margaret, deceased wife of John Bedford; and Mrs. Stewart, who was the fourth in order of birth. In 1860 Joseph Carson married Mrs. Sophia Mitchell, widow of Charles Mitchell, and a sister of the late David Moran. By this marriage there were five children: David M. Carson of Jackson, Tennessee; Kate M., of King City; William, who died at the age of one year; Charles B., who lives near Guthrie, Oklahoma; and James H., of Gentry County, Missouri.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1644-1645; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Ralph Stinson. A life of quiet effectiveness, marked by a record of many duties well done and many responsibilities faithfully fulfilled, has been that of Ralph Stinson, one of the venerable citizens of Andrew County, and still living on his fine old farm on section 10 of Platte Township, in his eighty-third year. Mr. Stinson was one of the men who developed and made Andrew County what it is. As an early settler, a soldier, a farmer, and in the round of commonplace accomplishments which fill every life, he has given a faithful and intelligent performance of each task, and has a record which may well be admired by the generations that follow him.
Ralph Stinson was born in Sandusky County, Huron Township, Ohio, December 11, 1832, and much of his life was spent in new countries and close to the western frontier. His parents were Seth and Elizabeth (Stull) Stinson, his father a native of New York and his mother of Pennsylvania. His father died December 19, 1885, aged seventy-five years, ten months and twenty-eight days, and the mother passed away June 13, 1890, aged seventy-nine years, eleven months and fourteen days. Both died at Marion in Linn County, Iowa. They were married in Sandusky County, Ohio, moved to Williams County in the same state, and out to Iowa about 1843. Seth Stinson bought a claim in Iowa and entered a large amount of land in Linn County, and spent the rest of his career as a pioneer farmer. There were eight children in the family, briefly mentioned as follows: Ralph; Robert, who still lives at the old home place near Marion, Iowa, and saw three years of service in the Civil war as captain of an Iowa company; George, a resident of Oklahoma, was also three years a soldier and in his brother's company.
He improved two farms on the prairie in Andrew County, and since 1864 has lived on his present estate in Platte Township, all of which he cleared and put under cultivation. A residence of half a century in one community is in itself a distinction, and in the case of Mr. Stinson it has been accompanied by much effective service both in his own interests and for the benefit of the community. His farm in section 10 in the north half comprises 327 acres, and is known as the Forest Home Farm. General farming has been the feature of his industrial efforts, and he has also long been identified with the milling interests. He operates a sawmill and a sorghum works. Mr. Stinson is an all round mechanic and by trade is a millwright and patternmaker. For a number of years he kept on his farm a fine herd of Angus cattle. His sorghum mill is the best equipped in the state with a capacity of 500 gallons daily, and good years the output is about five thousand gallons. The average output of his sawmill is about five thousand feet daily.
Mr. Stinson can recall many of the interesting experiences of pioneer times. As a boy he lived in the heavy woods of Williams County, Ohio, where it was necessary to construct buildings to protect live stock from the bears and other wild animals. The nearest neighbors at one time were nine miles away. After his experience in Ohio he had some more pioneer life on the prairies of Iowa Territory. At one time he and his brother George were looking after a sugar camp in the woods of Iowa, and one night they were awakened when a panther rummaging about, got oh them as they lay asleep on the ground, with their heads under cover. The Indians killed the panther, strung its nails and put them around their necks. Panthers and wolves and other animals were numerous in those days, and particularly dangerous to live stock. During the war Mr. Stinson was a member of a regiment of Missouri State Militia. He is independent in politics, but it may be recalled that in 1864, during the presidential campaign of that year, he made a speech at Richmond, in Rea County, before his regiment, favoring the election of Mr. Lincoln, and helped to win over most of his comrades to support the republican candidate. His prosperity as a farmer has not been kept all to himself, but it is known that any undertaking for the general good in Andrew County will have his support and liberal donation. He gave money for the building of the hall at Whitesville for the Interstate Corn and Poultry Show, and has donated to the cause of many churches and other purposes.
In 1854 at Marion, Iowa, Mr. Stinson married Ruann Tomlinson. She was born in Scioto County, Ohio, September 13, 1835, and died in Andrew County, October 25, 1912. They were the parents of a large family of children: Warren lives in St. Joseph; Worth died in childhood; Minerva is the wife of John Whetsel of King City, Missouri; Anna, now deceased, married John Whetsel; Bell is the wife of Evert Goforth of Flagg Springs, Andrew County; Franklin died January 18, 1871, in childhood; Minnie is the wife of John Potts of Guilford, Missouri; Katie is the wife of John Redkey, now deceased; and Scott lives in Platte Township, on his farm adjoining the home place.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1829-1830; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Col. Clyde K. Stout. Combining farming, stock raising and auctioneering, Col. Clyde K. Stout, a leading citizen of Rochester Township, Andrew County, finds little time hanging heavily on his hands. He was born on his present home farm, which is situated 4 miles south of Savannah, lying in section 18, township 59, range 34, Rochester, on October 24, 1876. His parents were William and Affie (Lewis) Stout.
The Stout family was established in Andrew County by the grandfather, Thomas Stout, in 1837. He was born in Tennessee and in Indiana married Elizabeth Walter, who was born in Kentucky. When they came to Missouri he bought a farm just on the edge of the Village of Savannah, and there they lived until 1847, when he purchased the present home farm in Rochester Township, on which he continued to live until his death, in 1885, at the age of eighty-five years, his wife dying here in her eighty-third year. They reared eleven children, six sons and five daughters.
William Stout was born in Andrew County, Missouri, January 17, 1844, and remained with his parents and later bought the interests of the other heirs in the home farm and for many years continued large agricultural operations here, making a specialty of the buying and shipping of stock. He sold the farm to his son, Clyde K., in 1910, and he and wife then retired to St. Joseph, where they are passing the evening of life in the midst of comfort. He married Affie Lewis, who was born in Henry County, Indiana, March 3, 1838, and came to Andrew County with her widowed mother in 1870. They have four children: C. G, who is a resident of Paonia, Colorado; May, who is the wife of Ben Snowden, of Mount Pleasant, Washington; Clyde K.; and Carl L., who is a resident of Los Angeles, California. During the Civil war Mr. Stout served four years as a member of the Fifth Missouri Infantry. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic post at St. Joseph. In politics he has always been a republican, and both he and wife are members of the Christian Church. They are highly respected people and wherever they have lived have been sincerely esteemed for their estimable traits of character.
Clyde K. Stout spent his boyhood happily on the home farm, attending the neighborhood schools and under the wise direction of his father learning those practical details of an agricultural life that have helped in making his own career successful. Deferring to his father's judgment regarding cattle and stock, in his early working years, he thereby gained valuable first-hand information that many another young man entering the stock business has to learn through experience. Following his marriage, Mr. Stout bought and settled on a farm near Bethany, which he operated for two years, when he sold to advantage and returned then to the homestead, which he bought in 1910. He has over 118 acres, a well situated tract, one that has been creditable as to location, to the discriminating judgment of his grandfather. He finds the raising of shorthorn cattle a very profitable industry. Endowed with a pleasing personality, of genial disposition and possessed of a ready wit, Mr. Stout has become popular, during the past eight years, as an auctioneer, confining himself mainly to farm sales, in which line his work is without an equal in the county.
Mr. Stout has been twice married. He was first united with Miss Alice Misner, February 27, 1902, who died without issue on February 27, 1909. Mr. Stout's second marriage was celebrated November 15, 1911, to Miss Lucy Munkres. Mr. Stout is not particularly active in politics, but he recognizes every demand of good citizenship and his affiliation is with the republican party. He has accepted no political favors. For many years he has been a member of the Long Branch Christian Church, in which he is one of the elders. Not only is he a worthy representative of one of the stable old families of Andrew County, but he is a steadying citizen of the present day, busily concerned in reputable activities and lending his influence to the higher things of life.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1761-1762; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


J. M. Stout. Among the well known farmers and substantial citizens of Rochester Township, Andrew County, no one stands higher in public esteem than J. M. Stout, whose well improved farm of 159 acres is situated in section 29, the other acre of the quarter section having been donated for church purposes. Mr. Stout was born in Rochester Township, Andrew County, Missouri, November 10, 1854, and is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Walter) Stout. The father was born in Ohio in 1810 and the mother in Kentucky in 1815.
The parents of Mr. Stout resided for some time after marriage in Indiana and afterward on Skunk River, in Iowa, in 1837 moving to Andrew County, Missouri, and entering land near Savannah. After eight years, however, Thomas Stout decided to return to Indiana, but after two days on the journey turned back and bought the farm that C. K. Stout now owns. The mother survived until 1897, but the father died in 1888. He was a fine type of the old time pioneer, courageous and resourceful, a good neighbor, an honorable man and a sincere Christian. He and wife were earnest members of the Christian Church. They left numerous descendants and in different parts of the western country they have made the name known and respected. Three of their sons, William, Joseph and John, all served as soldiers in the Civil war. The eldest son, George W. Stout, who still survives and lives near Farmington, in the State of Washington, left home in 1853, being then eighteen years old, and started out for himself, locating first in Oregon and removing from there to Washington. He has never returned to Missouri, and his brother, J. M., who was not born until the following year, has never seen him. The other members of the family in order of birth were as follows: John, who died in 1909, in Kansas; Nancy, who is the widow of W. Snowden, lives at Omaha; Joseph, who died in 1906, in Holt County, Missouri; Polly, who is the widow of Henry Hopkins, lives in Utah; William, who is a resident of St. Joseph; Martha, who was the wife of Jasper Huffman, died in Colorado at the age of twenty-eight years; Lizzie, who is the wife of E. M. Richey, of Howard, Colorado; Rebecca, who is the widow of Perry Snowden, lives in Rochester Township; J. M.; and Thomas, of Bolckow. At the time of writing there are thirty-four grand-children in the family.
J. M. Stout remained at home with his parents and assisted on the home farm until his marriage, when he moved to Kansas, where he entered a tract of land in Gove County and proved up within the year, returning then to his father's place, which he managed for three years and then bought fifty acres near the home place. Twelve years later he purchased his present property, and a general agricultural business is carried on, which formerly included a large dairying industry, Mr. Stout conducting a butter wagon for nine years, having customers all along the route as far as St. Joseph. This farm is very well improved and has two sets of farm buildings, Mr. Stout occupying one and his son Everett the other.
Mr. Stout was married in 1886 to Miss Addie Henderson, who was born in Andrew County, May 28, 1866, and is a daughter of Thomas and Mary Jane (Cooper) Henderson. Both parents of Mrs. Stout were born in Ohio, he in 1820 and she in 1829, and after their marriage in that state they came to Missouri, settling in Nodaway County prior to the Civil war. In 1865 Mr. Henderson came to Andrew County and settled on a farm near Savannah, where he died December 15, 1909, his wife having died August 22, 1888. Mr. and Mrs. Stout have had five children: Chester A., who was born December 15, 1886, died October 18, 1895; Everett and Elmer, twins, who were born June 4, 1890, the latter dying September 16, 1890; Irvin, who was born September 27, 1895, died August 22, 1897; and Mildred Elsie, who was born August 29, 1906. The second son, Everett, assists his father in the management of this farm. He married Blanche Nuckols and they have one son, Kenneth Meryl.
Mr. Stout and family belong to the Long Branch Christian Church. In politics he has always been a republican, as was his father after the defeat of Stephen A. Douglas for the presidency.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1760-1761; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.