O. N. Thompson, M. D. More than twenty years of practice as a physician and surgeon have brought Doctor Thompson special distinction and success as an able and skillful doctor and as a man who devotes himself conscientiously to the duties of professional life. Doctor Thompson has been located at Breckinridge as one of the leading physicians and surgeons since 1908, and previous to that for a number of years practiced at Lock Spring in Daviess County. Doctor Thompson is a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, in the class of 1891, and his wife, a graduate of the same institution, is also a successful physician and an able coadjutor to his own efforts, and through their cooperation they have performed a large amount of capable service in this section of Northwest Missouri.
Dr. O. N. Thompson was born near Chillicothe in Livingston County, Missouri, on a farm, December 23, 1866. His father was Archibald Thompson, who was born in Tazewell County, Virginia, a son of Archibald Thompson, Sr., a native of the same state, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and of Presbyterian stock. Archibald, Jr., with two brothers served in the Confederate army during the Civil war. He married Millie Perry, who was born in Virginia. Archibald Thompson, who died at the age of seventy-seven in Livingston County, was one of the leading men of his section and served as judge of the county court. He was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and was affiliated with Lodge No. 408 of the Masons of Lock Spring. His widow passed away at the age of fifty-six. In their family were five sons and five daughters, seven of whom are still living: Mrs. L. S. Dorsey; Mary R. Thompson; Oscar N.; Archibald, a dentist at Gallatin, Missouri; C. E., a physician at Enid, Oklahoma; and W. P., a farmer and stockman at Lock Spring, Missouri.
Dr. Oscar N. Thompson was reared in the country on a farm, attended the public schools, and began the study of medicine under Doctor Dorsey. At the age of twenty-three he married Miss Emma Boyington, who had been a successful teacher and as already stated was a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa. Since her marriage she has been particularly helpful in actual practice and consultation work on diseases of women and children. Her father was Robert Boyington, now living in Oklahoma. Doctor Thompson and wife have four children: Leaffa, who is a graduate of high school and is now in her second year at the Howard Payne College at Fayette, Missouri; Mary M., also a graduate of the high school and in her first year at Howard Payne College; Helen, a high school student; and Mildred Catherine, still in the grade schools. The two older daughters have taken special musical instruction in instrumental and voice, and all the family are more or less talented musically.
Doctor Thompson is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge at Lock Spring, and also with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His church is the Methodist Episcopal South. Doctor Thompson has served five years as a member of the public school board, and besides his work as a physician has also performed much public spirited labor in behalf of the community where his home has been.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1633-1634; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
William Thorne. The owner of a fine farm on section 5 of Lincoln Township in Andrew County, William Thorne represents the sturdy stock of old Devon, England. It was in that section of Southern England, noted for its stock and dairy industries, that William Thorne spent his boyhood and early manhood, and has exemplified the qualities of his race in his career in Andrew County, which has been his home for over forty years.
William Thorne was born in Devonshire in May, 1842, the son of Henry and Mary (Thorne) Thorne. His parents spent all their lives in Devonshire, where his father was a carpenter and later a farmer. There were seven children: John, deceased; Mary Lord of England; Anna Carey, deceased; William; Edwin, who lives in England; and Jacob of England, and one that died in infancy.
William Thorne is the only member of his family to come to America. He came direct to Savannah in the spring of 1870 and has spent most of his life in this locality since that year. Two or three years he was engaged in mining near Georgetown, Colorado, but otherwise his work has been along the line of farming. His success is due to his individual enterprise and industry. For several years he was known in Andrew County as a hard-working, sober and intelligent farm hand, then rented a farm for several years, and finally bought his present place in Lincoln Township. Mr. Thorne is the owner at the present time of 330 acres, which in its cultivation and improvements measures up to the high standards of Andrew County agriculture. It is devoted to general farming and stock raising.
Mr. Thorne since becoming an American citizen has affiliated with the Democratic Party. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In 1875 he married Martha J. Hunter, who was born in Kentucky, a daughter of Samuel Hunter, and came to Andrew County during childhood. She died at the old home in Lincoln Township in 1914 at the age of sixty-two. She was the mother of ten children: Henry, who lives at Long Branch; Ina, of Fillmore; Clara, wife of Donald Turner, of Lincoln Township; Charles, who is living on the farm; Kate, at home; Thomas, of Fillmore; Arlene, wife of Chester G. Turner, of Jackson Township; Clyde, at home; Myrtle, at home; and Benjamin, who is still in the home circle.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1956; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
JOSEPH KEMP TOOLE, Governor of Montana, was born at Savannah, Mo., May 12, 1851; he received his early education in the public schools of St. Joseph, Mo., and afterward attended the Western Military Academy at New Castle, Ky., of which General E. Kirby Smith was Principal. After leaving college he studied law, and was admitted to the bar of Montana in 1869, the year of his arrival in this State; in 1872 he was elected District Attorney of the Third Judicial District of Montana, and was re-elected in 1874; in 1881 he was elected to the Council of the Twelfth Legislative Assembly from Lewis and Clarke County, and was chosen President of the body; he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention, which met in Helena in 1884; was the same year elected Territorial Delegate to the Forty-ninth Congress, having Hiram Knowles, Republican, for his opponent; in 1886 he was again elected delegate, defeating Wilbur F. Sanders, now United States Senator. Mr. Toole was in Congress an indefatigable advocate of Statehood rights for Montana. After his congressional service he resumed the practice of law in Helena. In August, 1889, the first Democratic State Convention unanimously chose him as its candidate for Governor; he was elected October 1, 1889, over Thomas C. Power; he took his seat November 8, 1889. Early in 1890 he was united in marriage with Miss Rosecrans, at Washington, D. C., his wife being a daughter of General W. S. Rosecrans.
[The Montana blue book: a biographical, historical and statistical book of reference by Journal Publishing Co., 1891 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Charles G. Townsend. No name in the northern part of Andrew County bespeaks a larger family relationship and one whose members have been more actively and influentially identified with the community than that of Townsend. With only a brief reference to the history of older generations, which has been covered in other articles in this work, the following paragraph will be confined to the career of one representative of the family, Charles G. Townsend, who for a number of years has made a success as a farmer and stock man in section 23 of Benton Township.
Charles G. Townsend was born in Winterset, Iowa, September 19, 1861, and is the eighth of ten children of William Calvin and Mary Ann (Judd) Townsend. The residence of the family in Iowa was only temporary, and soon after Charles G. Townsend's birth they returned to Missouri and located in Andrew County.
Charles G. Townsend grew up in this section of Northwest Missouri, attended the local schools, and for more than thirty years has been one of the prosperous factors in the agricultural district of Benton Township. He is the owner of 142 acres, a portion of his father's estate, and is a farmer on the intensive plan, operating his property in the growing of grain and stock.
Aside from his industry as a farmer his name has been well known in the community through its relations with public affairs. For about twenty-five years Mr. Townsend served as judge of elections. He is president of the board of education, which position he has held for the past fifteen years, and is also a director in the Andrew County Agricultural and Mechanical Society. Politically he lines up his principles and actions with the republican party. Mr. and Mrs. Townsend are both members of the Baptist Church at Bolckow, and he was superintendent of the Sunday school six years and treasurer of the church seventeen years. Fraternally Mr. Townsend is affiliated with Lodge No. 413, A. F. & A. M., at Bolckow. On December 14, 1890, he married Alice Wells, who was born in Putnam County, Missouri, June 19, 1865, and died at her home in Andrew County, January 14, 1908. She was the daughter of Judge F. M. Wells.
Mrs. Townsend was a woman of thorough culture both of mind and heart, and was noted for her many useful activities. She spent about ten years as a teacher in Andrew County, having begun that vocation at the age of sixteen. A part of her education came from the Stanberry Normal School. She was also an effective member of the Baptist Church and for many years a teacher in the Sunday school. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Townsend: Grace, who lives at home; Mabel, who died at the age of six months; Ray L.; and Warren Reid.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1782; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
James S. Townsend. With the exception of two years, when in his young manhood he was engaged in clerking at Bolckow, James S. Townsend has passed his entire life on the farm and has devoted his entire energies to agricultural pursuits. For nearly thirty years he has resided on his present property, which is known as East View Stock Farm, located in section 8, Platte Township, Andrew County, a community in which he is known as a progressive and practical agriculturist and a public spirited citizen who has ever been ready to assist his community's development.
Mr. Townsend was born in Andrew County, about two miles north of Savannah, May 5, 1855, and is a son of Jonathan and Kittie Ann (Landers) Townsend, a sketch of whose lives will be found in another part of this work. The third in order of birth of his parents' six children, James S. Townsend grew up amid rural surroundings, and passed his boyhood in much the same manner as other Missouri farmers' sons, assisting in the work of the homestead during the summer months, and securing his education in the country schools during the winter terms. He remained under the parental roof until 1880 in which year he went to Bolckow to locate on the Daniel Hildman farm, a property including 187 acres, on which he has made his home since March, 1886. This has since been renamed by Mr. Townsend, and is known now as the East View Stock Farm, Mr. Townsend making a specialty of raising all kinds of high grade stock for the market. He has made numerous substantial improvements on his land, including two sets of modern buildings, and in every respect the property reflects the enterprise, thrift and progressive ideas of its owner. Mr. Townsend is well and favorably known in business circles of Andrew County, and has various outside holdings and interests, at this time being a stockholder in the Union State Bank, of Bolckow, with which he has been identified since its organization. He has done much to "boost" the agricultural interests of this part of the state, and is an active and working member of the Whitesville Interstate Corn and Poultry Show. Politically a democrat, he has taken only a good citizen's interests in matters of a political character. He has long been a devout member of the Whitesville Baptist Church, and at this time is serving in the capacity of deacon.
Mr. Townsend was married in 1882 to Miss Louisa Baum, who was born in Benton Township, Andrew County, Missouri, March 10, 1859, daughter of John and Christina (Frick) Baum, natives of Germany, who came to the United States as young people. During the last fifteen years of her life Mrs. Baum made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Townsend. Two children have been born to this union: Prudie, who is the wife of W. S. Miller of Platte Township, and had three children,—Eugene, who died January 16, 1908, at the age of two years, four months, Reed and Marjorie; and Vergie, who is the wife of Samuel Goforth, of Platte Township, and has had three children,—James Laverne, who died in infancy, Virginia, and Winfred Dale.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1774-1775; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
John H. Townsend. In the eightieth year of his age the venerable John H. Townsend still occupies his fine old homestead in section 21 of Benton Township, Andrew County. Mr. Townsend came to Andrew County when a boy, and imprinted on his life record and recollection are all the important phases of development, beginning with the pioneer period of log houses and primitive schools and crude means of cultivation, transportation and marketing, the beginning of the railroad era, and finally all those remarkable changes brought about in the age of electricity and modern machinery and industrialism. He is one of the splendid old citizens of Northwest Missouri, has spent his life in the quiet and unobtrusive vocation of the farmer, but in all his public relations has served his community well and is the head of a fine family.
John H. Townsend was born in Morgan County, Indiana, October 25, 1835. His parents were Ellison and Catherine (Zimmerman) Townsend. His father was born in Washington County, Indiana, during the pioneer period, January 2, 1817, about a year after Indiana became a state. Catherine Zimmerman was born in North Carolina June 2, 1816, a daughter of Joseph Zimmerman, a native of Germany. Her father married in North Carolina who died in Stokes County of the latter of Washington County, Indiana.
William Townsend died in Morgan County, Indiana, but had lived in Andrew County, Missouri, from 1847 to 1857. He was also a farmer, and farming has been the regular vocations of the Townsends from their early settlement in America. The great-grandfather of John H. Townsend was also named William Townsend, and was a soldier from North Carolina in the Revolutionary war, serving under Gen. Nathaniel Greene. He joined the army in 1776 and served seven years, going through Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia, and never receiving a wound. He was also a Baptist and was born in 1755, dying at the age of seventy-seven. He married Miss Mary McGraw, and had two brothers, Henry and Joseph.
Ellison Townsend and wife resided in Morgan County, Indiana, until they removed to Missouri in the fall of 1847. They came in covered wagons and saw their first railroad, which came no further West than Springfield, Illinois. They located a mile and half north of Savannah. This was then a new country, very little of the prairie land had been broken and only here and there had the axe been laid at the root of the trees in the great forests that covered so much of the fertile soil. Ellison Townsend lived on his farm near Savannah until his death on August 30, 1870. His wife passed away there June 12, 1877. He became a factor in community affairs and served in the office of public administrator, appointed under the provisional government on June 3, 1862, and was afterward elected, serving until January 1, 1869. As justice of the peace, he was appointed in August, 1856, when Nodaway Township was changed to include Jasper and part of Jackson, and was elected and re-elected, serving until 1866. He supported the republican party and was a member of the Masonic Order.
Ellison Townsend and wife had eleven children who reached maturity, four of them now living. These children are briefly mentioned as follows: Elizabeth Worth, deceased; John H.; Rebecca Fazee, deceased; Delilah Roberts, deceased; Mary Catherine Maxwell of Nodaway County; Joseph F., who served two years as county collector in Andrew County and is now deceased; William, who died in Indiana, but spent many years in Andrew County and enlisted from this state for service in the Civil war; Jesse A., of Wyoming; Jane Maxwell, who died in Iowa; Martha A. Alexander, deceased; and Louis A., of Savannah.
John H. Townsend has lived in Andrew County since 1847, being about twelve years of age when the family removed to this part of Northwest Missouri. Savannah was six years old then and he remembers it as a small hamlet with only a few frame houses, the others being of logs.
He had attended country schools back in Indiana, and was also a student in one of the early schoolhouses of Andrew County, the first one being a log house on the south line of the Lander's homestead. Since early manhood his career has been consistently pursued along one line, that of farming. He lived at home with his parents until his marriage, then rented a farm about six years, until about 1864, and then invested his small capital in 120 acres south of Bolckow. There was no town there then, not until after the railroad came in 1868. Mr. Townsend had to move his log house off the right of way. He had moved this log house here. Mr. Townsend is a republican and has taken some part is public affairs, having been elected in 1872 as the first justice of the peace of Benton Township and serving twelve years. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and is at the present time the oldest member in active standing in the Bolckow Lodge of Masons.
On April 13, 1858, John H. Townsend married Malinda Roberts. She was also born in Morgan County, Indiana, July 25, 1841. Her parents were Benjamin and Elizabeth (Roberts) Roberts, who came out to Missouri and settled in Andrew County in the spring of 1856. It was on the old Roberts homestead that Miss Roberts married Mr. Townsend and has lived there the greater part of her life. Her parents, though of the same name, were not related, and were both natives of Pulaski County, Kentucky, her father born in 1811 and her mother in 1810. They were married in Kentucky and about 1830 moved across the river into Indiana, and both died on the old farm in Andrew County, the mother at the age of eighty-four and the father at seventy-seven. They took an active part in the establishment of the pioneer schools and churches in their locality and were Baptists as were their parents before them. There were eleven children in the Roberts family, eight of whom reached maturity, as follows: Gideon, deceased; Margaret Stotts, deceased; Rebecca Best, deceased; John, who was killed in the battle of Shiloh in April, 1862; Malinda Townsend; Elizabeth Jane Stotts of Hill City, Kansas; James Mason, of St. Joseph; and Joseph, who died in 1911. .
To the marriage of John H. Townsend and wife were born the following children: Elizabeth Jane, Joseph M., Benjamin Pierce and Delilah Olive. There are a number of grandchildren and even great-grandchildren. Elizabeth Jane married George Baum, and at her death on February 8, 1905, she left three children: Alma, wife of George T. Genther, and the mother of two children, Margaret E. and Christina Malinda; John, who married Pearl Genther, and their two children are Catherine L. and John, Jr.; Jacob Lenoir, who married Emma Shipley, and they have two children, George and Ellen Emma. The son, Joseph M., who lives on a farm near his father, married Lucy Wilson, and their three children are named Gladys L., George Joseph and Flint Wilson. Benjamin Pierce, who helps to manage the home farm for his father, married Matie Whitney, and their four children are Elvie Alice, John Paul, Linn Whitney and William Victor. Delilah Olive is the wife of Mr. S. E. Lee, the newspaper man of Savannah, and a brief sketch of Mr. and Mrs. Lee is found on other pages of this work.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1787-1788; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
John M. Townsend. Prominent among the agriculturists of Andrew County who through years of industrious labor have attained substantial fortunes and at the same time have acquired and held the respect and confidence of their fellow citizens is John M. Townsend, of Benton Township. Mr. Townsend, with the exception of two years, has been a resident of Andrew County all of his life, and has watched the growth and development of this part of Northwest Missouri with the eye of a proprietor, seeing the log cabin days of his youth pass into the things that are gone and the modern, progressive age succeed that of the pioneer.
Mr. Townsend was born in a log house on his father's farm, located four miles northwest of Savannah, in Andrew County, Missouri, January 20, 1851, and is a son of William Calvin and Mary Ann (Judd) Townsend. His father was born in Indiana in 1821, and was there married May 26,1842, to Mary Ann Judd, also a native of the Hoosier State, born in Dearborn County in 1825. About the year 1846 Mr. and Mrs. Townsend migrated to Missouri, settling on the farm four miles northwest of Savannah, on which their son was born, a raw tract of land on which there was a log house. The family made their home here until about the year 1861, when they went to Iowa and remained two years, returning to Missouri in 1863 and again locating in Andrew County, this time on a farm 2 ½ miles south of Bolckow. There William C. Townsend continued to be engaged in agricultural pursuits until the time of his death, which occurred July 12, 1882, Mrs. Townsend surviving him until August 29, 1907.
Mr. Townsend was an industrious farmer and a capable man of business and during his active career amassed something more than three hundred acres of good land. He was engaged in general farming principally, but also met with a full measure in the raising of stock, to which he devoted much attention. Both he and his wife were charter members of the Bolckow Baptist Church, in which he was a deacon for many years, and there his children erected one of the largest memorial windows in the church to the memory of their beloved parents. In political matters Mr. Townsend was a republican. Ten children were born to William C. and Mary Ann Townsend: Sarah, who is the widow of George H. Sexton and resides in Oklahoma; Emeline, who married David W. Headley, and is now deceased; Nancy A., deceased, who was the wife of James C. Campbell; John M.; William Calvin, a resident of Benton Township.
John M. Townsend attended the public schools of Andrew County until he was ten years of age, at which time the family removed to Iowa, and there he secured some further training, which was completed when he again located in Andrew County. He was reared to the pursuits of the farm, and remained on the home place until his marriage, at which time he took up his residence on his present property, a tract of 220 acres, two miles south of Bolckow, a part of it being the old homestead. This is located in section 23, Benton Township, and is one of the best-improved places in this part of the county, Mr. Townsend having made many additions to its buildings and equipment during the thirty four years he has resided here. The small log house of his birth and youth has been replaced by a modern ten-room house, with all up-to-date conveniences and comforts, and substantial barns and other buildings have also been erected by Mr. Townsend. His attention is given mainly to grain and stock raising, and in both departments his judgment, ability and foresight, gained through a long and practical training, have enabled him to gain a full measure of profit from his intelligent labors.
Politically a republican, Mr. Townsend has served at various times in school and road offices to the entire satisfaction of his fellow citizens. He is a member of the Baptist Church, in which he is at present serving as a deacon, and was treasurer of the building committee which erected the church at Bolckow in 1908. Mr. Townsend 's fraternal connection is with Blue Lodge No. 413, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, at Bolckow.
On June 12, 1881, Mr. Townsend was united in marriage with Miss Lavina J. Wells, who was born in Andrew County, Missouri, February 18, 1863, a daughter of Judge F. M. Wells, a sketch of whose career will be found elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Townsend have had two children. Their daughter, Miss Iola A., was born March 30, 1887, on the home farm, received her early education in the country schools, and subsequently attended the Maryville Normal School. She now resides at home. The only son of Mr. and Mrs. Townsend, Marion Calvin, was born August 14, 1883, and died August 10, 1886.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1773-1774; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Jonathan Townsend. Andrew County has its full quota of men who have stepped aside from participation in active affairs to let pass the younger generation with its hopes and ambitions, and in this class is found Jonathan Townsend, who is now living in retirement after many years passed in agricultural pursuits. Mr. Townsend was born in Morgan County, Indiana, June 17, 1827, and is a son of William and Mary (Voyles) Townsend, born within fourteen days of each other, in February, 1797, in Cabarrus County, North Carolina. William Townsend, the grandfather of Jonathan, was also born in that county, and was about seventeen years of age at the outbreak of the Revolutionary war. Although he belonged to an old English family, his heart was with the colonists, and during the entire period of the war he served as a private under General Greene. He died in Indiana about the year 1837.
William Townsend was ten years of age when he accompanied his parents to Morgan County, Indiana, and there he was living at the time of the outbreak of the War of 1812, in which he fought valiantly as a soldier. Both he and his wife attained advanced years, and passed away in Indiana, after a long period passed in farming. They were the parents of fourteen children, namely: Elison; Alfred; William C.; Lucy, who died young; Jesse; Joseph, who died young; Jonathan; Rachel Simmons; Elizabeth Elliott; Andrew Jackson; Catherine; Thomas Jefferson; Lafayette; and Benjamin Franklin.
Jonathan Townsend received his education in the public schools of Indiana, and remained on the homestead farm there until he reached the age of nineteen years, at that time, in 1847, coming to Andrew County, Missouri. Locating on a property two miles north of Savannah, he continued to reside thereon and to add thereto until his retirement, February 24, 1894, at which time he .was the owner of 190 acres of land, of which he disposed, and since then has made his home at Savannah. During the period of the Civil war Mr. Townsend served as a private in the Missouri State Militia, under Col. William Herrin, and the last year under Capt. John Majors of Savannah. He sustained the family reputation for courage and military prowess, discharging his duties in a manner that has always been characteristic, whether in war or peace. At the age of eighty-seven years he is still in the enjoyment of perfect health and has all his faculties, it even being unnecessary for him to wear glasses. He attributes his long and healthy life to the fact that he has always lived sensibly, has never been intoxicated and has never used tobacco. He has been a great lover of home and simple things, and has never played cards or danced. He has been a consistent democrat since the time he cast his first vote for General Cass, but has never sought public preferment. Fraternally, he is connected with the Masons, which he joined before the Civil war. He has been a member of the Baptist Church for sixty-seven years, and at this time is serving as deacon thereof.
On January 24, 1849, Mr. Townsend was married to Miss Katie Ann Landers, who was born in Piatt County, Missouri, and died in Andrew County in 1861. Three of Mrs. Townsend's brothers, Reuben, Nathaniel and John, served as soldiers during the Civil war, the first two in the Missouri State Militia, and the last-named in the United States service. Reuben met a soldier's death in battle at Springfield, Missouri.
Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Townsend: Nathaniel, who died as a child; one infant which died unnamed; Elison Eugene, who is a resident of Savannah; and Laura Nettie, who is the wife of John Rowe, living one and one-half miles north of Savannah. Mr. and Mrs. Townsend celebrated their golden wedding anniversary April 5,1913.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1938-1939; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Thomas Jefferson Townsend. Since its establishment in Northwest Missouri in 1846 the Townsend family has been identified with its agricultural interests, and its numerous members have attained substantial positions in this fertile farming community. Its men have shown in their own careers the worth of industry and integrity in the affairs of life, and have contributed materially to the development of the locality's resources. A worthy representative of the name is found in the person of Thomas Jefferson Townsend, who is now the owner of a well cultivated farm in section 24, Benton Township.
Mr. Townsend was born January 22, 1856, on the original homestead of his parents, located four miles northwest of Savannah, in Andrew County, Missouri, a son of William Calvin and Mary Ann (Judd) Townsend. William C. Townsend was born on an Indiana farm, was there reared and educated, and married in that state Mary Ann Judd, who was born in Dearborn County, Indiana, in 1825, four years her husband's junior. They were married May 26, 1842, and about the year 1846 migrated to the State of Missouri, taking up their residence on a new, undeveloped farm, four miles northwest of Savannah. Here the father made the usual pioneer improvements, and the little log house continued to be the family home until 1861, when removal was made to Iowa, Thomas J. being then a lad of five years. Two years later, however, the family returned to Andrew County, Missouri, and took up their residence on a farm two and one-half miles south of the town of Bolckow. William C. Townsend continued to be identified with agricultural pursuits on this property during the remainder of his life, and through industry and earnest effort made a success of his grain and stock raising operations, accumulating over three hundred acres of good land.
He was a republican in his political views, but took only a good citizen's interest in affairs of a public character. Both he and Mrs. Townsend were charter members of the Baptist Church at Bolckow, in which Mr. Townsend was a deacon for a number of years, and since their deaths their children have placed there in their memory a beautiful memorial window, one of the largest in the church. William C. Townsend passed away, honored and respected by the community, July 12,1882, the mother surviving him until August 29, 1907. Ten children were born to William C. and Mary A. Townsend, as follows: Sarah, who is the widow of the late George H. Sexton and resides in Oklahoma; Emeline, deceased, who was the wife of David H. Headley; Nancy A., deceased, who was the wife of James C. Campbell; John M., whose sketch will be found elsewhere in this work; William Calvin, a resident of Benton Township; Thomas Jefferson, of this review; Harriet F., who is the wife of G. F. Wilson and resides at Warrensburg; Charles G., who lives in Benton Township; Elizabeth E., deceased; who was the wife of T. J. Officer; and Ida B., whose death occurred at the age of four years.
Thomas J. Townsend received his education in the public schools of Benton Township and has been a resident of Andrew County all of his life with the exception of four years. In early manhood he decided to devote his career to agricultural pursuits, and his training in his youth was along this line. At the present time he is the owner of ninety-five and one-half acres, this being a part of his father's homestead. He has brought his land under a high state of cultivation, and it is devoted to the raising of grain and live stock, and in both lines Mr. Townsend has met with excellent success. His buildings are of a substantial character, his stock is of a good grade, his improvements are new and modern, and his good management is reflected in every department. He has been content to devote his energies to farm work and has kept out of politics, save as a republican voter, but maintains an interest in matters that affect the welfare of his community and can be relied upon to support good and progressive movements. Mr. Townsend is a member of the Baptist Church at Bolckow, to which the members of his family belong.
In 1883 Mr. Townsend was united in marriage with Miss Dora E. Dorrel, who was born September 25,1866, in Andrew County, a daughter of James and Eliza J. Dorrel, a history of the family being found in the sketch of Judge A. Dorrel, elsewhere in this work. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Townsend, namely: Anna Ethel, who is the wife of Blaine Townsend and resides in Wyoming; Eva Ruth, who is at home; and Warren Irl and Mary Dorrel, who reside with their parents.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1948-1949; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
William Calvin Townsend. A farm that represents some of the best improvements and values in Northwest Missouri is the East Lawn Farm, located on the One Hundred and Two River, in section 16, Benton Township, Andrew County. It is a stock and grain farm, and its genial proprietor, William Calvin Townsend, knows farming as a business, and conducts it on the same principles that a manufacturer would run his factory or a merchant his store. Stock and grain are his staple products, and he has prospered both through the intelligent management of his place year after year, each successive twelve months period adding a little more to his enterprise, and also through the great increase in farm values, which are the result of the aggregate labors of many farmers in this section. Mr. Townsend some thirty years ago bought his first 200 acres of land at $20 an acre, and each succeeding purchase required more money per acre, and a general average of value on his land now would be about $150 an acre.
William Calvin Townsend was born four miles north of Savannah, in Andrew County, March 16, 1853, and is the fifth in a family of ten children, whose parents were William Calvin and Mary Ann (Judd) Townsend. The Townsends are numerously represented in Andrew County, have been identified with this section of Northwest Missouri since pioneer times, and more complete data concerning the family in general, and this immediate branch, will be found on other pages of this work.
William Calvin Townsend has spent all his life in Andrew County, except eighteen months, during which period his parents lived in Iowa in order to avoid the local troubles incident to the Civil war. Reared on a farm, he was educated in district schools and, like many other men, has found in agriculture the freest and most independent vocation open to man. He lived at home with his parents for the first twenty-nine years, and then was married and started for himself in 1880. On March 1, 1881, he came to the nucleus of his present place, which is situated three miles southwest of Bolckow. At the present time Mr. Townsend owns 345 acres, and has several sets of improvements, and most of the land in cultivation on the intensive plan. As a stock man he features the Hereford cattle and all his stock are of good grades.
Besides his success as a farmer, Mr. Townsend has interested himself in local affairs in keeping with the ideals of good citizenship. He is a republican in politics, has served as school and road officer, and is always ready to give his support to enterprises which mean a better community, socially and otherwise. Mr. Townsend has served as a trustee in the Baptist Church at Bolckow.
While successful in a material way, he can perhaps take even more pride in the fine family which he has brought into the world and for whom he has provided home and means of training for useful citizenship. On April 28, 1880, Mr. Townsend married Amanda Elizabeth Neely. She was born in Andrew County, southeast of Bolckow, in 1861, a daughter of Franklin and Nancy (Wilds) Neely, who were among the pioneers of Andrew County. The family circle of children comprised fourteen in number, several of whom are now at the heads of their own homes, while several others are deceased. By name they are mentioned as follows: Charles Royal is a resident of Bolckow and married Cora White; Byron Franklin, of Benton Township, married Dora Hartman, and their three children are named Marvin, Loyd and Charles Royal; William Perry died at the age of twenty-three; Calvin, Jr., who lives on a part of his father's farm, married Eva Violet, and their five children are Calvin, Hallie, Phyllis, Helen and Vernie Alice; Russell, who lives at home; Logan, of Benton Township, married Emma Violet, and their three sons are Virgil Paul, Floyd Logan and William Harrison: Jessie, the only daughter, died in infancy; David, who married May Rowland; and Emery, Arlie and George, still under the family roof tree; Freemont, the twelfth child, died at the age of five years; and the two youngest are Timothy and Daniel.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1817-1818; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]