Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Biographies

" W "

Hon. Jacob Wall. When Judge Jacob Wall first came to Missouri, thirty-nine years ago, his possessions included the clothes which he wore, $1.50 in money, and a limitless stock of ambition and determination. With these he resolutely set about to make a place for himself in a growing community, and, once established, he directed his labors in such an able manner that today he is the owner of the beautiful Elm Grove Dairy Farm, a tract of 221 acres, located in section 33, Rochester Township, and is known as one of the substantial men of his locality. His career is one that should be encouraging to the youth dependent upon his own resources, for all that he now owns has been accumulated through his own efforts, always directed by the closest adherence to honorable and upright principles.
Judge Jacob Wall was born April 11, 1854, in Casey County, Kentucky, and is a son of W. H. and Mary J. (Lucas) Wall. His father was born May 3, 1825, and his mother February 18, 1836, both in Kentucky, where the father in his earlier years was engaged in the trade of blacksmith. In the fall of 1881 they came to Andrew County, Missouri, where W. H. Wall engaged in farming, and his death occurred in 1900 in Gentry County, Missouri, where he had resided for a few years, the mother passing away in 1913 at the home of a daughter in Lafayette County, this state. Both died in the faith of the Christian Church, in the work of which they had been prominent in Kentucky. They were the parents of twelve children, as follows: Jacob, of this notice; Hezekiah, born February 15, 1856, a resident of Hayes County, Nebraska: Francis M., born April 11. 1858, who lives in Nodaway County, Missouri; Randolph C., born January 13, 1861, a resident of Phelps County, Nebraska; Coleman L., born March 13, 1863, who also lives in that state; Ann, born March 23, 1865, who died at the age of two years; Mollie, born January 2, 1870, who is the wife of Thomas E. Wade, of Lafayette County, Missouri; Laura E., born April 27, 1867, who is the wife of William E. Sheeley, of Clinton, Oklahoma: William S., born September 7, 1872, who is a resident of Harlan County, Nebraska; Henry C., born August 19. 1874, who lives in Atchison County, Kansas: Ramon C.. born July 9, 1877, also a resident of that county and state; and Arthur S., born January 15, 1881, who lives in Phelps County, Nebraska.
Jacob Wall was reared on his father's farm in Casey County, Kentucky, and there was given his education in the common schools. He remained under the parental roof until 1876, at which time, embarking upon a career of his own, he made his way overland to Andrew County, Missouri, and here soon secured employment as a farm hand, working four years for agriculturists in the county. With his carefully saved earnings he next rented a small property for two years, at the end of which time he felt ready to start operations for himself, and accordingly bought sixty-five acres in the northern part of the county, which he improved and subsequently traded for eighty acres in Rochester Township, this tract forming the nucleus for his present beautiful farm, a tract of 221 acres, the greater part of which is under a high state of improvement. Here Mr. Wall has made many improvements and erected numerous substantial buildings, including a commodious residence, a large and well-built barn and a modern silo. A nice grove of white elm trees suggested the name which he has given to the property. Elm as well as some horses, keeping about twenty cows, manufacturing butter, and operating a butter wagon, he having a large patronage in the latter line among the private families of St. Joseph. He is known as a good business man, and in commercial circles has an excellent reputation for integrity and honorable dealing. A democrat in politics, in 1909 Mr. Wall was elected county judge from the eastern district of Andrew County, and served in that capacity from January 1, 1910, until January 1, 1912. He has made two other races for this office, but has been unable to overcome the large republican majority, there being about 300 of that party in the district. Judge Wall is a member of the Christian Church at Long Branch, Missouri, and for the past ten years has served in the capacity of deacon.
On December 25, 1879, Judge Wall was married to Miss Eliza J. Reece, who was born in North Carolina, February 26, 1862, and came to Missouri in 1867 with her parents, Joel M. and Mary M. (Fleming) Reece, natives of the Old North State. The father was born February 15, 1833, and the mother about one year later and he met his death by a stroke of lightning in 1874, while the mother passed away in 1871. Ten children have been born to Judge and Mrs. Wall, as follows: William, born January 1, 1881, who died January 10, 1881; Maggie, born November 24, 1881, who died September 29, 1903; Mary, born February 23, 1884, who is the wife of Elmer Bowlin, of Rochester; Maude, born December 24, 1885, who resides with her parents; Loren, born November 27, 1887, who resides at home; Laura, born February 23, 1891, who is a school teacher; Lula, born November 6, 1893; Arthur, born May 12, 1896; Archie, born July 23, 1898; and Jacob, born July 23, 1902.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1705-1706; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


E. M. Waterson. For more than forty-five years E. M. Waterson has been a resident of Andrew County, and has lived at his present home place in section 2 of Lincoln Township since 1883, has prospered like the majority of Andrew County farmers, has been a liberal provider for his family, has been interested in business affairs, and is honored in his community for his private success and for his value as a citizen.
E. M. Waterson was born at Marysville, Kansas, August 2, 1858. That date of itself indicates an early residence in the Sunflower State, and Mr. Waterson has the distinction of having been the first white child born in Marshall County. A few hours after his birth the first white girl was born in that community, named Hattie McGill. Mr. Waterson's parents were James and Artemisia (Cameron) Waterson, his father a native of Ohio and his mother of Kentucky. Both the Waterson and Cameron families were Kansas pioneers, having gone to that territory in 1844. The grandfather, Thomas W. Waterson, who died at Marysville, Kansas, September 5, 1889, was born in Pennsylvania in 1811, went from there to Cincinnati and in 1854 settled in Doniphan County, Kansas, and in 1860 took up his residence at Marysville. It is said that he was the first justice of the peace appointed in the Territory of Kansas, his appointment coming in 1854. He was a member of the Territorial Legislature in 1855 and in 1857 and was four times mayor of the City of Marysville besides other offices of trust. Prom 1860 until the year of his death he was a Marysville merchant, finally selling out and spending his last days in retirement. His success as a business man was measured by the accumulation of a property estimated at upwards of a hundred thousand dollars. .Combined with this was a thorough public spirit and liberality which caused him to contribute in many ways both to the public good and to individual needs.
James and Artemisia were reared in Kansas, were married in 1857 in Brown County, and soon afterwards took up pioneer claims in Marshall County. James Waterson was killed at Marysville, Kansas, in 1868, while driving a team. He was then thirty-four years of age. His widow survived him many years, and died near Savannah in Andrew County, Missouri, August 6, 1884, at the age of forty-four. There were three children: E. M.; Nannie, wife of J. A. Roberts, of Andrew County; and John, a resident of St. Joseph.
In 1863, when E. M. Waterson was five years of age, the family moved to Andrew County, Missouri, owing to the troubles incident to the war. After the war the family returned to Kansas, lived there until the death of the father, when the mother once more brought her children to Andrew County. During his residence in these two states E. M. Waterson spent his boyhood and acquired his education in the common schools. He has lived in Andrew County since 1868, and has been a farmer since reaching his majority. He now owns 160 acres, and has had his home on this farm since March 15, 1883. Its improvements are to be credited to his own management and labor, and he has prospered through the work of general farming and stock raising. For one year he was a director of the Andrew County Mutual Telephone Company, and for the past eighteen years has been a director and agent for the Andrew County Mutual Fire, Lighting & Wind Storm Insurance Company. In politics a democrat, Mr. Waterson twice led his party ticket as candidate for the offices of county judge and county collector. His only fraternal affiliations are with the Modern Woodmen of America
In March, 1883, Mr. Waterson married Sarilda Mackey. She was born on the farm where she now lives, November 30, 1856, and has never lived in any other locality longer than eleven months.
Her parents were of the Mackey name and had one of the shops which supplied a service to a large country community. He worked in the fields during the day time, and would usually spend several hours doing his work as a blacksmith in the night. There were six Mackey children, as follows: Eliza Mary, widow of C. M. Rumburg, of California; Anderson, of Andrew County; Elizabeth, deceased wife of W. W. Bussell; Mrs. Waterson; James, who died at the age of sixteen years; and Frances, who died at the age of four years.
Mr. and Mrs. Waterson are the parents of five children: Lola May, wife of C. F. Clark, of Loveland, Colorado, and who died March 1, 1915; Alice, wife of Henry Ordnung, of Andrew County; John Ray, who died at the age of four years; Ralph and Ada, both at home.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1975-1976; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Jacob Weddle. More than thirty years a resident of Andrew County, Jacob Weddle, long a substantial and prosperous farmer in Platte Township, is now best known in that community as president of the Farmers' Bank of Whitesville. Mr. Weddle became head of this institution at the beginning of the second year of its existence, and has since given most of his time and attention to its management. He is one of Andrew County's prominent citizens and came to Northwest Missouri in the early days when a boy.
Jacob Weddle was born in Hendricks County, Indiana, June 24, 1848, a son of Aaron and Mary (Dodd) Weddle. His parents were both natives of Virginia, the father born in 1821, and the mother in 1822. Aaron Weddle went with his family to Indiana when young, and was married in that state. In 1859 the family set out to find a new home in Western Missouri. Jacob Weddle and his father walked almost the entire distance, driving a bunch of cattle to Buchanan County. They located on a farm eight miles east of St. Joseph. The father was a Douglas democrat and early in the war served in the six months service in Major Joseph's Battalion, and in March, 1862, enlisted with the regular volunteers in the Twenty--fifth Missouri Infantry. A few months later, at the battle of Corinth, Mississippi, he died in August, 1862. His widow lived with her only son Jacob for the last five years of her life, dying at the age of eighty-two.
Jacob Weddle was about eleven years of age when he came to Missouri, had a somewhat limited education, and had to begin work for his self-support at an early age. From Buchanan County he moved to Andrew County in 1882 and was actively identified with farming here until 1909. Mr. Weddle is the owner of a fine place of 180 acres in Platte Township five miles northeast of Whitesville. After leaving the farm and removing to Whitesville, he was engaged in the hardware business.
Two children died young, Howlit at the age of four and a half years, and Myrtie when one year of age. In 1881 Mr. Weddle married a sister of his first wife, Mary Brierly. There are no children by the second marriage. The Brierly sisters were both born in Keokuk, Iowa, the daughters of James and Sarah (Cabbie) Brierly. The father was a native of Ohio, and the mother of Kentucky and in the early days James Brierly moved to Iowa and was married near Quincy, Illinois, to Miss Cabbie. Both spent their last years with Mr. and Mrs. Weddle, and died on the farm in Platte Township. James Brierly was a pilot on the Mississippi River during the early days and a man of no little prominence in any community which he called his home. He was in Iowa before it became a state and served in the territorial Legislature, and later was a member of the Missouri State Legislature, and was captain of state troops during the Civil war from Buchanan County. Politically he was a Douglas democrat before the war, but was elected to the Missouri Legislature on the republican ticket. In 1853 the Brierly family, including both wives of Mr. Weddle, started out for California, making the trip overland with an ox-team. On account of the hostility of the Indians, they spent the winter in Salt Lake City, and resumed the journey and arrived in California in the spring of 1854. After three years in that western state they returned East in 1857, and soon afterwards moved to Kirksville, Missouri, and in 1859 to Buchanan County, where both the daughters lived until their marriage.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1843-1844; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Hon. Francis M. Wells. Among the venerable men of Northwest Missouri who have stepped aside from the paths of labor to let pass the members of the younger generation, with their hopes and ambitions, may be mentioned Judge Francis M. Wells, an honored veteran of the great Civil war, a pioneer settler of Andrew County, and a man who for a long period of years has been identified with the life of this locality both as a private citizen and a public official. Judge Wells was born in Morgan County, Illinois, September 14, 1835, and is a son of Jonathan and Letitia (Way) Wells, natives of Orange County, North Carolina.
Jonathan Wells was born in Orange County, North Carolina, January 4, 1800, and was fifteen years of age when he was taken by his parents to Orange County, Indiana. There he was married to Letitia Way, who was born September 1, 1806, in Orange County, North Carolina, and was a child when taken to Indiana. Some time after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Wells moved to Morgan County, Illinois, where they resided until 1842, then moving to Monroe County, Iowa. In 1857 they came to Andrew County, Missouri, and settled at Lower Neely Grove, midway between Bolckow and Rosendale, and there the father died April 18, 1883, the mother following him to the grave May 2, 1884. Mr. Wells was a farmer all of his life, and a pioneer in four states, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Missouri. He and his brother-in-law, Enoch Way, were the first two settlers in Monroe County, Iowa, where Mr. Wells' land, in the southeastern corner of the county, a quarter section, was known as Wells Prairie. This he divided among his children. They were as follows: Peter H., ┬╗who died in September, 1914, at Topeka, Kansas, having reached the advanced age of eighty-nine years; Margaret Ellsworth, who died September 24, 1896; Joseph, who was captain of the Missouri State Militia for a time, and later entered the Fifty-first Regiment, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, for service during the Civil war as a lieutenant, and is now living at an advanced age at Spearfish, South Dakota; Enoch, who died February 8, 1894; Francis M., of this review; George, who died June 24, 1904, served in Captain Johnson's Light Artillery and later in the Fifty-first Infantry during the Civil war; Martha Jane, who is the widow of Charles Wheeler of Appleton City, Saint Clair County; Nancy Louisa, the widow of William Wilson, of Oakley, Kansas; Mary Lavina, who died in childhood, in 1847; and Zachary Taylor, of Springfield, Missouri.
Francis M. Wells received ordinary educational advantages in the public schools of Morgan County, Illinois, and Monroe County, Iowa, and remained under the parental roof until he was twenty-five years of age, at which time he established a home of his own by marrying, and at that time began farming for himself. He continued to be thus engaged until 1862, when he joined Captain Johnson's Light Artillery, and after seeing some active, arduous and dangerous service, was taken ill and was eventually honorably discharged because of disability.
Returning to his farm, Mr. Wells continued to be engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1889, when he retired and moved to Bolckow, where he has since continued to make his home. A republican in politics, he served four years as postmaster of Bolckow, under Benjamin Harrison. For two terms of four years each, Judge Wells served as county judge of the First, or Eastern District. He is a deacon in the Baptist Church at Bolckow, is a Master Mason, and until its disbandment was a member of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic. A man of the strictest integrity and probity of character, in his dealings with his fellow men he has been guided by high ideals, and his name is one that is honored in business, political and social circles.
In 1860 Mr. Wells was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Richard, who was born in Macoupin County, Illinois, May 13, 1838, and when three years of age was brought to Andrew County, Missouri, by her parents, Zachary and Mary (Field) Richard. The father was born in Western Tennessee and the mother in Alabama, and following their marriage they removed to Macoupin County, Illinois, coming to Andrew County, Missouri, May 10, 1841, where both passed away after spending years in agricultural pursuits. Mrs. Wells remembers when there were only Indian trails to follow instead of the excellent roads of today, and on one occasion about 500 of the red men stopped at the Richard farm. She can relate many interesting experiences of the early days, and remembers distinctly the laying out of St. Joseph, Savannah and other places which have since grown to importance. To Mr. and Mrs. Wells there have been born the following children: Margaret Ellen, who is the wife of Israel Knuppenberger of Bolckow, and was born June 18, 1861; Lavina Jane, born February 18, 1868, who is the wife of John M. Townsend, residing two and one-half miles south of Bolckow; Samuel E., born in 1864, who died in infancy; Alzina A., born in 1865, in Putnam County, Missouri, married Charles G. Townsend, and died January 14, 1908; William H., born February 17, 1867, who died in infancy; and Emma Izella, born June 29, 1869, wife of John W. Montgomery, of Bolckow.
In 1874 Judge Wells purchased a quarter section of land in Benton Township at $30 an acre, and this land he still owns, it being valued today at $100 an acre more than he paid for it. He also has a number of good pieces of land in Bolckow, and, tin the whole, has been eminently successful. His substantial position in life has been attained through the medium of his own efforts, and he is worthily entitled to be called one of the self-made men of his community.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1890; Pgs.1863-1864; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Philip Ernest Wenz. Many of the most thrifty and prosperous business men of Buchanan County have come from the land beyond the sea, noteworthy among the number being Philip Ernest Wenz, who has been actively identified with the manufacturing and mercantile interests of St. Joseph for more than half a century, and is eminently deserving of mention in this biographical work. He was born, October 23, 1831, at Beisinger, three miles from Bodelshausen, Hohenzollern, Germany, in the same house in which his father, Conrad Wenz, was born and reared. His paternal grandfather served in the German army, under Karl Herzog, and was afterwards appointed chief forester, with two assistants under him. He subsequently bought a house in Beisinger, and there spent his remaining years.
Conrad Wenz learned the trade of a baker when young, and spent his entire life in the town in which his birth occurred. He married and worked a period of four years at the trade of a boot and shoe maker in the City of Zurich, after which he followed his trade in various European cities. In 1854, desirous of trying life in a new country, he went from Stuttgart, Germany, to Havre, France, where he sailed for America, arriving at the end of sixty-seven days after leaving the fatherland. Mr. Wenz immediately came to St. Joseph, which was then a small frontier city, Missouri having at that time no railways, while Kansas had just been opened to settlers. His only capital when he came to this country was good health, willing hands, and a set of tools. Finding employment at his trade, he worked as a journeyman for twenty-one months, and then embarked in business on his own account, establishing on Edmund Street the business now owned by his brother, it being one of the first of the kind established in the city, or in Northwestern Missouri. Selling out in 1860, Mr. Wenz purchased property at No. 1003 Frederick Avenue, and there conducted a general store a few years, but has since, at the same location, been actively engaged in his present business.
Mr. Wenz married, in 1859, Christiana Frederica Bauman, who was born in the village of Backnang, in Wurtemberg, Germany, in the same house in which the birth of her father, John Bauman, occurred. Reared and educated in his native village, John Bauman married Frederica Schwaterer, a native of Marbach, Wurtemberg. She died in 1844, in early womanhood, leaving seven children, Christina F., George, Caroline, Gottlieb, Jacob, Dorothy, and Ludwig, all of whom, with the exception of Dorothy, came to America. In 1858 Mr. Bauman emigrated with his family to this country, settling in Andrew County, Missouri, where he purchased 150 acres of land, one half of which had been cleared. Immediately assuming possession of the log buildings standing on the place, he began adding to the improvements already inaugurated, and was there a resident until his death, at the age of seventy-two years. Mrs. Wenz died September 28, 1902, leaving four children, namely: Emma, Rosa, Annie, and Nellie. Mr. Wenz has four grandsons, William Wenz, Herbert Wenz, Edwin Wenz, and Ernest Beihl. Mr. and Mrs. Wenz were both brought up in the Lutheran Church, and have reared their family in the same religious faith.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1943-1944; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Lyman S. White. Four successive generations of the White family have been identified with Andrew County. The prosperous little Village of Whitesville originated with an enterprise conducted by a member of this family, and that is the origin of the name. As farmers, pioneer developers of the land, merchants and thoroughly progressive citizens the Whites have contributed a valuable part to the history and growth of this community.
The first generation represented in Andrew County was John White, who married Charlotte Hunt. Both were born in Ohio, and came to Northwest Missouri in the early days. John White established a small country, store in Platte Township, while his wife's father built a mill close by, and these two enterprises were at the foundation of the village of Whitesville, which was named to honor John White. In 1849 John White moved out to California, and the rest of his life was spent there. His widow, a venerable woman of ninety-nine years at this writing, is still living in California, with her home at San Jose and is the oldest representative of the White family still alive.
Among the children of John and Charlotte White was the late Lyman A. White, who was born in Ohio and when ten years of age accompanied his parents to Andrew County. He spent the rest of his life here as a farmer, and died in February, 1883. He was a member of the Christian Church and in politics a democrat. Lyman A. White married Susan E. Clemmons, who is now living in Whitesville. Her five children were: Charlotte, wife of C. H. Allen of Oklahoma; John R.; Maggie, now Mrs. McCue of Gentry County, Missouri; George F. and Laura, twins, former residents of Whitesville and the latter the wife of Charles Petree of Rea.
John R. White, representing the third generation in Andrew County, was born near Whitesville August 5, 1859. He grew up near his birthplace, was educated in the common schools, and has lived in that one locality of Andrew County all his life excepting only three years spent in California. He was a boy of thirteen when he went west with his parents. John R. White has been generously prosperous in his efforts as a farmer, and owns 160 acres of land a mile south of Whitesville. For several years he had made a specialty of raising seed corn, and much of his corn has been exhibited at the Whitesville Corn Show. He also raises high grade stock of all kinds. John R. White is a democrat and a member of the Christian Church.
On April 2, 1884, John R. White married Miss Verdi Saunders. She was born in Andrew County November 4, 1865, a daughter of 0. B. and Mary A. (Combest) Saunders, her father a native of Virginia and her mother of Kentucky. O. B. Saunders was brought to Northwest Missouri by his parents at a time when the City of St. Joseph was a village. The Saunders subsequently settled in Andrew County, and O. B. Saunders and wife were married at Whitesville. He died at Savannah April 13, 1907, at the age of seventy-six, and his widow since that time has lived in California. Mr. Saunders was an active farmer until he retired to Savannah, and was a public spirited leader in his community. Politically he was a democrat and his church was the Christian. He was also affiliated with the Masonic Order. In the Saunders family were three sons and eight daughters, and all are living except one son and one daughter.
John R. White and wife have three children, one of whom died in infancy. The son, Lyman S., is a Whitesville merchant and C. Paul lives in Platte Township.
Lyman S. White, one of the energetic young business men of Platte Township, and representing the fourth generation of the White family, was born in Platte Township May 9, 1885, and grew up in this locality, being educated in the local schools and living with his parents until the age of nineteen. In 1904 he entered the Kirksville Normal School, spent two years there, and then traveled for the New Press of St. Joseph for eighteen months. This was followed by a business experience of one year as clerk in a wholesale dry goods house in St. Joseph, and after farming for a time he engaged in the garage business and hardware trade at Whitesville. He is now active manager of a large hardware and implement house in Whitesville. Mr. White also operates a farm of 260 acres east of Whitesville. In everything that pertains to the betterment of his community he has been an active spirit, and has given special attention to the success and prosperity of the Whitesville Corn Show. His enterprise is also shown by his having established and owning the Acetylene Lighting Plant, which furnishes acetylene gas light to the business district. With other members of his family he is connected with the Christian Church and is affiliated with the Masonic Order and the Modern Woodmen of America.
On September 12, 1909, Mr. White married Lulu Cline, who was born in Platte Township February 23, 1885, a daughter of Harvey and Lucinda Cline.
Harvey Cline, one of the substantial farmers and business men of Andrew County, was born in Ohio November 25, 1841, spent several years in his early youth in Wisconsin with his parents and then came to Harrison County, Missouri. While in Missouri he enlisted for three years' service in the Civil war. After the war he became a clerk to William Weaver at Whitesville, and the Weaver store was the original mercantile enterprise which under successive ownership has been continued, and is now under the active management of Lyman S. White. Harvey Cline later bought this store and conducted it for many years. The stock of goods was sold to W. A. Crockett. The family then spent several years on a farm and then returned to Whitesville and acquired the former business. Mr. Cline was identified with merchandising most of the time from the close of the war until 1900, in which year he moved to his farm east of town, and since the marriage of his daughter Lulu to Mr. White has been a member of their household. He owns the farm of 260 acres operated by Mr. White. Mr. Cline now spends his winters in Florida. He is a republican in polities, a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Christian Church. Mrs. Cline died in 1907. Their children are: Ada, wife of James F. Case of Largo, Florida; Edgar H. of Platte Township; A. O. of St. Joseph; N. G.; Curtis P. of Platte Township; Lulu, wife of L. S. White; and H. Victor of St. Joseph.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1743-1744; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Isaac R. WilliamsIsaac R. Williams has been a member of the Savannah bar forty years. Combined with the strict interests of his profession, he has been engaged in business affairs, particularly in real estate, and a common saying among his associates that throws light on his activities is that he has earned more money than any man in Savannah, and yet has less than many whose success has been on a moderate scale. Mr. Williams has always spent liberally, has entered heartily into many projects and plans proposed for business and civic improvements, and enjoys a reputation based on integrity and the best qualities of citizenship.
Isaac R. Williams was born in DeKalb County, Missouri, October 1, mid thus represents a family of old settlers in Northwest Missouri until his death on May 1, 1906, at the advanced age of eighty-three. His first wife, the mother of Isaac R., died when the latter was an infant. The father spent most of his life in farming, and was also prominently identified with public affairs. He served as a member of the County Court from 1851 until the outbreak of the war, and held the same office after the war and throughout his career was active in behalf of the Democratic Party. In religion he was a Universalist.
Isaac R. Williams is the only one living of the four children by his mother, and has two half-brothers. His early life was spent on the home farm, midway between Savannah and Maryville, and his education was acquired partly in the country schools with the freshman year at McGee's College. At the age of twenty-one he entered the law office of David Rea at Savannah, and was admitted to the bar in 1874. Since then he has been in very active general practice of the law, and is now one of the oldest members of the Andrew County bar. On March 1, 1887, he formed a partnership with Charles F. Booher, and for more than a quarter of a century the firm of Booher & Williams has had a recognized standing among the old and successful law firms of Northwest Missouri. Since the election of Mr. Booher to Congress eight years ago, his son, L. W. Booher, has assumed most of his responsibilities and work in the firm, but the title of the partnership remains the same as formerly. For the past twenty-eight years Mr. Williams has been financial correspondent for a number of eastern investors, and much of his time has been taken up with his extensive transactions in real estate and as an abstractor.
He is a member of the St. Joseph Commercial Club, and in 1888 was one of the promoters of a street railway in that city. He has been identified with many business interests at Savannah and vicinity, and has always accepted the responsibilities of citizenship. For nearly a quarter of a century Mr. Williams served as mayor of Savannah. He has been a democrat since casting his first vote, and though his party was in a hopeless minority in Andrew County for many years, he accepted a place on the ticket in 1878 as candidate for prosecuting attorney and in 1892 for the Legislature, making the campaigns in order to keep up the party organization. For many years he has been an active member of the Christian Church.
On December 24, 1876, Mr. Williams married Miss Emma Frances, who died May 16, 1913. Their daughter, Lily, is the wife of Dr. C. E. Rainwater, Ph. D., who is identified with the University of Chicago, and both he and his wife hold the degree A. M. from Drake University of Iowa.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1374-1375; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


General Robert Wilson. Among the stalwart men who helped to shape the destinies of the state, few have played a more important part than Gen. Robert Wilson, who spent the latter years of his life on his farm in Andrew County, a short distance north of St. Joseph. Sympathetic with the needs and aspirations of the people, clear and fixed in his own ideas of expediency and right, and giving expression to his ideals both by precept and example with force and dignity, his was a character of inestimable usefulness during the formative and tempestuous years of the state's first half century.
He was born near Staunton. Virginia, November. 1800. Robert Wilson lived there until he came to Missouri in 1820. Settling in Howard County, he taught school for a time and later found employment in the office of the Circuit Clerk. Subsequently he was appointed postmaster of Fayette and in 1823 was elected Judge of the Probate Court. In 1828 he was elected clerk of the Circuit and County Court, which office he continued to hold until 1840.
Meantime he had studied law under his brother General John Wilson and had been admitted to the bar. In 1837 on the outbreak of the so-called Mormon war, he was appointed brigadier general of the state forces by Governor Boggs and was instrumental, by his firm and judicious conduct of affairs, in ridding the state of a population so generally obnoxious to its citizens. In 1844, Randolph County having been formed and he having removed to Huntsville, he was sent there from to the State Legislature. Removing thence to Andrew County in 1852, he was elected in 1854 to represent that district in the Senate and re-elected in 1858, although he was a Whig and the district strongly democratic.
In the early part of 1861, General Wilson was chosen as a union delegate to the convention called by the state to determine its attitude regarding secession and at its first session, February 28th, he was elected vice-president with Sterling Price as president. Subsequently Price having fled to join the Confederacy, General Wilson succeeded to the presidency and presided over the convention's deliberations until its close. In January, 1862, he was appointed by Acting Governor Hall to the United States Senate to fill the unexpired term of Waldo P. Johnson expelled, and discharged the duties of that office for two sessions until the election of B. Gratz Brown.
After retiring from the Senate, General Wilson though keeping in close touch with public affairs devoted himself to agriculture, in which his interest was intense. While on a visit to his old surroundings in Central Missouri, he was stricken with pneumonia and passed away May 10, 1870, at the home of his nephew, Capt. Ben Wilson, at Marshall, leaving behind a record that was unblemished as to both public and private life and one that was unusually rich in evidences of the highest usefulness to his fellow-men.
In 1825 General Wilson was married to Margaret Snoddy who died in 1836. leaving him three children, John, who was graduated from Yale in 1847 and who died in St. Joseph in 1858; James, who was educated at Centre College, Danville, Kentucky, and who died in St. Joseph in 1906, and Mary Ann who in 1855 was married to Rufus L. McDonald of St. Joseph and who still survives.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs.1462-1463; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]


William Linneaus Wright. There are only a few country estates, which compare in extent, productiveness and general value with that of W. L. Wright in Benton Township of Andrew County. Mr. Wright has lived a long and useful life, his early years in particular were filled with many interesting experiences, and his home has been in Andrew County for half a century. While it has been characteristic of him to give strict attention to his own affairs, and while there is little that lends itself to fluent description in the life of a progressive, prosperous and diligent farmer and stock man, Mr. Wright has never in all his years sought to avoid the responsibilities that go with capable and substantial citizenship. He has been a factor in the development and life of Andrew County.
William Linneaus Wright was born in Des Moines County, Iowa, February 20. 1837; He is a son of John D. and Celia (Hanks) Wright. His father was of a New England family, was born February 8, 1807, was liberally educated, and for five years was a teacher in New Jersey. He had the spirit of the true pioneer, early became discontented with the settled and staid life of the East, came out to the then frontier, and from that time forward lived pretty close to the edge of western civilization, moving further west as the country around him became settled.
While holding those offices the Black Hawk war broke out, and he was an orderly sergeant in the company commanded by Abraham Lincoln. John D. Wright had many interesting reminiscences of Mr. Lincoln, whom he frequently met in early days in Illinois, and of whose career and character he was always a great admirer.
About 1834 John D. Wright became one of the pioneers in Des Moines County, Iowa. That was a number of years before Iowa was organized as a state, and in his capacity as a surveyor he did some valuable work in laying out the wilderness and many of the lines he established are still in existence. He platted the townsite of Burlington, Iowa, and for four terms represented Des Moines County in the Iowa Territorial Legislature, while the territorial capital was at Iowa City. He made the trips to the capital by stage or horseback. Mr. W. L. Wright recalls that his father once brought home a pair of overshoes made of buffalo hide, the hair being left on the inside, and they made a very serviceable article of footwear. When W. L. Wright was about six years old his mother died. After he reached the age of eighteen his father moved to Union County, Iowa, thus again transferring his home to the western margin of settlement. Very few pieces of land had been entered in Union County at that time, and the father preempted a homestead two and a half miles southeast of the Town of Afton, and secured a house that had formerly been occupied by the Mormons. While in Union County he continued his work as a surveyor and laid off the Town of Afton, his son William helping in the survey by carrying the chain. John D. Wright became one of the big factors in Union County, bought land extensively around Afton, and at one time owned about nine hundred acres. While he was engaged in his duties in locating settlers and making surveys, he had his sons and hired other men to break up the prairie.
About 1863 John D. Wright sold his Towa interests and came to Andrew County, Missouri, locating two miles north of Savannah. Later he bought a place near Rosendale, and lived there until his death at the good old age of eighty-five. He was three times married. His first wife was a Miss Robison and their only child died in infancy. By his marriage to Miss Celia Hanks there were the following children: Marvin, who died in infancy; Elizabeth, who died in infancy; William L.: J. D., of Oregon: Priscilla, who died in infancy; Elisha and Electa, twins, the former of Kansas, and the latter the wife of Mr. Ward of Spokane, Washington. His third wife was named Simmons. Her children were: Charles of Savannah, Missouri; Emily Parker of Oregon: Justus of Utah; Lyman of Oregon; George of Baker City, Oregon; and Mary Jamison of Union, Oregon.
William L. Wright is the owner of a fine estate of 640 acres. This includes the north half of section 13 in Benton Township, the southeast quarter of section 12, eighty acres in section 11 and another eighty acres in section 12. The place is about four miles from Rosendale. As his early life was spent largely on the frontier with his father he had little opportunity to gain an education, but by association with his father and by his own reading and observation and experience with men he has always passed as a man of intelligence and of more than the average attainments. Until he was about twenty-five years of age he went barefoot and drove an ox team for the breaking of prairie land.
He was elected to the County Court. His party was in the minority, and while he accepted the nomination he made no effort to be elected, and the close margin by which he was defeated was really a high tribute to his popularity and his qualifications as a citizen.
On August 12, 1855, Mr. Wright married Sarah Clemmons, who died May 16, 1860. On December 5, 1860, he married Matilda A. Bonifield, who died January 8, 1871. The third marriage occurred November 2, 1871, when Fannie G. Gillam became his wife. The two children of the first marriage were: Elizabeth Jane, who died in the State of Oregon as the wife of Joe Wilson, leaving two children; John D., who married Alice Carter, and both died in Oregon, leaving four children. By the second marriage there were three children: Ellsworth, who died in childhood; Albert, also deceased; and Virginia, who married Milton Holt, and she died in Oregon October 18, 1902, leaving four daughters and one son. Mr. Wright by his present wife had three children: Canby Allen, who lives on a farm adjoining his father; Martha, wife of John Coffman of Oklahoma; and W. L., Jr., on one of the farms owned by his father.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1715-1716; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.