Welcome to
Andrew County
Missouri


Families
" D "

Dickson
Albert
S. Dickson. Coming in 1886 to that section of neutral strip in Indian Territory that was at the time commonly known as No Man's Land, Mr. Dickson established his residence at Neutral City, a true frontier town of period, where he remained until Oklahoma Territory was thrown open to settlement and formally organized, its prescribed confines including the former No Man's Land, when he removed to Beaver, which was made the judicial center of the county of the same name and which originally included also the present counties of Texas and Cimarron. In this now thriving and important town of western Oklahoma he has since continued in the active and successful practice of law, and he is junior member of the representative law firm of Dickson & Dickson, in which his coadjutor is his brother, Robert E. The firm controls a specially substantial and important practice in this section of the state and its high standing at the bar of Oklahoma determines the distinctive professional ability of its members and their secure place in popular confidence and good will.
On the paternal homestead farm in Andrew County, Missouri, a log house of the pioneer type figured as the stately domicile in which Albert S. Dickson was born, and the date of his nativity was February 1, 1867. He is a son of Benjamin Franklin Dickson and Anna (Van Deventer) Dickson, whose marriage was solemnized in that state in the year 1860.
    Benjamin F. Dickson was born in Boone County, Missouri, in 1826, his parents having been pioneers of that county, where they established their home on their emigration from their native State of Kentucky. He was reared to adult age in his home county and as a young man he removed to the northwestern part of Missouri, where he passed the remainder of his life as an energetic, progressive and duly successful farmer. He died in Andrew County in 1892, when about sixty-six years of age, and his wife survived him by a number of years. She was born in Missouri and was a daughter of Granville and Ursula (Clark) Van Deventer, her father having been a scion of the historic old Van Deventer family of Lee County, Virginia. Benjamin P. and Anna (Van Deventer) Dickson became the parents of three sons and two daughters, concerning whom the following brief record is given: Alexander Jackson, born in 1861, is now a prosperous agriculturist and stock-grower of Beaver County, Oklahoma. In 1886 he wedded Miss Belle Baker and they have one child, Anna. Robert, who was born in 1864, was afforded the advantage of Avalon College, at Avalon, Missouri, and is now senior member of the law firm of Dickson & Dickson, as previously noted. He was the first regularly elected county attorney of Beaver County and since his retirement from that office he has been associated with his brother Albert S. in the practice of law at Beaver. He whose name initiates this article, was the third in order of birth of the five children. Lucy D., who was born in 1869, was educated in the Missouri State Normal School at Strasburg and in 1896 became the wife of Godfrey Stegman, their home being in the City of St. Joseph, Missouri, and their only child being a daughter, Elsie. Bell, who was born in 1872, is the youngest of the children. In 1899 she became the wife of Hugh A. Ellingsworth and they now maintain their home at Helena, Missouri. They have one child, Everetta.
    Albert S. Dickson passed the period of his childhood and early youth on the old homestead farm and is indebted to the public schools of Andrew County, Missouri, for his preliminary education, which was effectively supplemented by a course of higher study in Avalon College, at Avalon, that state. In the meanwhile he had given much attention to the reading of law, with the intention of eventually entering the legal profession.
In August, 1886, Mr. Dickson came to the Indian Territory and, as previously stated, established his residence at Neutral City, in "No Man's Land," where he remained until 1890, when he removed to Beaver. In the following year he was admitted to the bar of Oklahoma Territory and since that time he has continued in the practice of his profession at Beaver, as one of the representative pioneer lawyers and a valued citizen of Beaver County. Though he takes a deep and loyal interest in public affairs and is a staunch advocate of the principles of the republican party, he has never sought or held political office, as he considers his profession worthy of his undivided allegiance. He is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and both he and his wife hold membership in the Christian Church at Beaver.
At Liberal, Kansas, on the 29th of January, 1910, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Dickson to Miss Edna Humphrey, who was born near Trenton, Missouri, on the 27th of September, 1884, and who is a daughter of Clark and Emma Humphrey, likewise natives of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Dickson have one child, Albert DeWitt, born September 24, 1913.
[Source:  “A Standard History of Oklahoma” Volume V; by Joseph B. Thoburn; copyright 1916; Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]

 

Return to

Andrew County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.