Welcome to
Atchison County
Missouri


Biographies
" A "

AMBROSE LEE ADDINGTON, farmer, section 36, is the owner of 176 acres of land. He was born in Cass County, Illinois, January 31, 1832. His father, Saybird Addington, was from Tennessee, as was also his mother, who was formerly Frances Lee. While young, Ambrose learned the blacksmith trade, and in 1852 came to Missouri, settling in this county. In politics he is a Democrat, and religiously a Cumberland Presbyterian. In 1859 he married Miss Hannah Ann White, daughter of Lawrence White, of this county. They have six children living: James L., Benjamin B., Ida Frances, (wife of William V. Hudson), Sarah Mabel, Charles Lee and Eliza Lee. After the death of his father Mr. A. moved on to the old homestead, which fell to him in the division of the property, and now has a beautiful and valuable home and farm. He commenced life poor, worked at his trade for many years and gained an enviable reputation at his business and as a man. Now, with everything about him, he is enjoying his declining days, though not in possession of very good health. S. Addington, his father, was born in Tennessee, October 24, 1804. In 1830 he moved to Illinois, and in 1852 came to Missouri and settled in this county. He was a Democrat and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He married Frances Lee in 1825. Of this union three children are living: Prilla M. (now Mrs. Henry H. Barnhart), Ambrose Lee and Milla Lee, (wife of James H. Prather). Mary E. died August 25, 1881; Benjamin C. died in 1861; Mr. Addington died in 1880. Lawrence White, Mrs. A.’s father, died in 1860. He settled in Clay Township at a very early day, improved a good farm and raised a family of children, who are an honor to his name. Mr. Addington was a pioneer here, bought some land, worked hard and was very successful. When he died he had 684 acres. He was one of the best known men in the county and his loss was regretted by all.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

A. B. ALLEN, M. D.;
Connected with the practice of the healing art in Maryville, Dr. Allen has attained a position of distinction as a representative of the medical fraternity. He has demoted his life to the calling wherein advancement must depend upon individual merit, upon strong mentality, close application and -a sympathetic interest in one's fellow men. In none of these requirements is Dr. Allen lacking, and therefore he has long since left the ranks of the many and stands among the successful few.
A native of Warren county, Illinois, he was born on the 12th of February, 1850. His father, Dr. A. A. Allen, was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, in 1818, and is a descendant of the O'Allens, of Ireland. He prepared himself for his chosen profession in the old Cincinnati educational institution of regulars, and located in Warren county, Illinois, at an early day. He "was prominently before the people of that locality in his professional capacities for many years and his active connection with the medical fraternity covers half a century. He is now located in Steele, North Dakota. He married Miss Nancy Maley, whose people removed from West Virginia into Warren county, Illinois, at a very early period, there securing claims of government land. Unto Dr. Allen and his wife were born the following children: Arminda, who became the wife of John Wooderson and -died in Harrison county, Missouri, leaving two daughters—Carrie and Virgie, the former a graduate of De Paul University and of the Boston School of Oratory, and is the wife of F. T. Lamb, of Washington, D. C., who formerly served as sergeant-at arms in the United States senate: Virgie resides in Harrison county, Missouri; William R. Allen, the second member of the family, is engaged in the hotel business at Kingman, Kansas; Josie is the wife of Al Meredith, of Sioux City, Iowa; Alfred is now deceased; Carrie married C. H. Ennis, of Rockport, Missouri; Celia is the wife of C. A. Hurd, of Steele, North Dakota; Flora is the wife of James Lyon, of Pittsburg; and H. B. is now living in Steele, North Dakota, and is auditor of the county.
Dr. A. B. Allen, of this review, spent his youth and early manhood upon his father's farm. At the age of twenty he began to earn his own livelihood at school teaching, also spending a part of the time as a student in the school room. He regularly began the study of medicine at Bedf6rd, Iowa, although he had read at intervals under the direction of his father prior to this. He spent four years in the Keokuk Medical College and added to his knowledge by a post-graduate course in the Chicago Polyclinic. In 1877 he located in Nodaway county, opening an office in Barnard, where his efficiency soon became apparent and he was not long in acquiring a liberal practice. He continued his professional labors among the people at the south end of the county until 1896, when he sought a more extensive field of labor by his removal to Maryville, where he became associated with Dr. George Nash, another eminent physician of northwestern Missouri, and the firm of Nash & Allen at once took precedence in the medical fraternity. The partnership was maintained until the 1st of September, 1899, when Dr. Allen retired to his beautifully furnished offices in the Michau block. He has done everything in his power to attain perfection in his chosen calling and his knowledge is comprehensive, exact and reliable. He is very careful in diagnosing a case and his conclusions are almost infallibly correct. He now has a large and lucrative patronage from among the best class of citizens of Maryville and splendid professional and financial success has attended his efforts.
Dr. Allen was married in Barnard, Missouri, October 24, 1878, to Miss Sally McFarland, a daughter of John McFarland, "who emigrated from Coshocton, Ohio, to Nodaway county, in 1866. Their marriage has been blessed with two children: Fay, who for two years has been a medical student in the Emsworth Medical College, of St. Joseph; and Mabel. The Doctor is a Royal Arch Mason, and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows fraternities. Of the Missouri Valley Medical Society he is a member, and while he takes a deep and active interest in many affairs calculated to be of benefit to his community, his time and attention are chiefly given to his profession, in which he has attained enviable distinction.
Source:  A History of the Pioneer Families of Missouri: with numerous sketches ... By William Smith Bryan publ. 1876 Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack

HENRY R. ANDERSON, section 23, was born in Mercer County, New Jersey, August 21, 1817. Joshua Anderson, his father, and his mother, formerly Mary Clark, were also natives of that state. Henry R. was raised on a farm and received his education in the common schools and at Trenton Academy. He afterwards learned the carpenter’s trade, at Princeton, New Jersey. In 1837 he came west, locating at Alton, Illinois, where he was engaged at the carpenter business for three years, and in the fall of 1841 he moved to Mount Pleasant, Iowa, working at his trade there for some six years. He was there married, on the 12th of April, 1843, to Miss Eliza Jane McCord, daughter of William McCord. She was born in Kentucky, December 10, 1820. Mr. and Mrs. A. have three children: Mary I. (wife of A. Bigley), born August 27, 1847; Martha Virginia, born September 10, 1859; Lewis Wallace, born July 6, 1862. In 1848 the subject of this sketch moved from Mount Pleasant to Keokuk, Iowa, and resided there, working at his trade, for about five years. In the spring of 1853 he left his family in Iowa and went overland to California, where he was interested in mining and carpentering for three years, after which he returned to Iowa, in the fall of 1856. In the spring of 1857 he moved to Cass County, Nebraska, and was there engaged in farming and working at his chosen calling until the fall of 1871, when he came to Atchison County, Missouri, settling in Clark Township. He has lived on his present place seven years and now has a farm of forty acres, all in cultivation, with a young bearing orchard of 200 apple trees, besides peach, cherry, plum and pear trees. Mrs. Anderson is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ALBERT G. ARGO,
farmer and stock raiser, section 2, was born October 17, 1840, in Adams County, Ohio. James Argo, his father, was a native of Maryland, but was raised in Pike County, Ohio, where his parents had settled in 1804. He married Ruth A. Matthews, who was born in Adams County, Ohio. In 1865 the family moved to Marion County, Iowa. Albert was raised upon a farm, and was the recipient of a common school education. He was married in Pike County, Ohio, November 9, 1862, to Miss Elsie Scowden, a native of that county and a daughter of Samuel Scowden. They have had four children, of whom two are living: William T., born July 18, 1865, and Elizabeth A., born January 8, 1868. Mr. Argo continued to reside in Marion County, Iowa, till the fall of 1873, when he moved to Nodaway County, Missouri, there being engaged in farming for about two years. In 1875 he came to Atchison County, and has since made his home here. In 1881 he bought his present place (known as the Waugh farm), which consists of 280 acres of land, all fenced. There is upon the place an orchard of 100 apple and 25 cherry trees, and a fine burr-oak grove to the north and west of the residence. Mr. Argo makes a specialty of feeding hogs and cattle, and in the same is quite successful. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is Democratic in politics, and liberal in his religious views.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Return to

Atchison County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.