Welcome to
Atchison County
Missouri


Biographies
" D "

SIMEON CUMMINGS DANFORTH, was born in Atkinson, Piscataquis County, Maine, on May 17, 1824, being the son of Simeon Cummings and Abigail Danforth. The former a farmer by occupation, was a native of New Hampshire, and the latter of Maine. Simeon remained at his birthplace until seven years old, and from then until he was twelve, he was in Merimac, New Hampshire, working on a farm. He obtained about three months’ schooling each year. When at the age of fourteen years, he bought his time of his father, and entered a cotton factory at Lowell, Massachusetts, where he continued to labor until eighteen years old. From that time until he was twenty-one, he attended an academy at Hancock, New Hampshire, and was engaged in teaching and working alternately, acquiring for himself a good education. In 1851, he and a brother left Lawrence, Massachusetts, for California, where he remained two years, working hard in the mines, and obtaining enough to make a start in life. Five year after returning, he went to Nebraska, where he made a claim near where Lincoln is now located. In 1860, he came to Missouri, and settled in Atchison County. From that time till 1874, he taught school here except for six months, while in Brownville, Nebraska, and also for a short time spent in the east. Mr. Danforth never had to ask for a school, his services and recognized ability always being called into demand. In 1867, he bought a farm of 120 acres near Langdon, which he improved, but in 1873, he left this farm, though he still owns it, and moved into Watson for the purpose of teaching. Six months later he bought the store he now occupies, and engaged in merchandising. In 1875, he was appointed postmaster of Watson, which position he still holds. For three years he served the people as mayor of the town in an acceptable manner. In 1879, he received a flattering offer from a St. Joseph firm as traveling salesman, and is now acting in this capacity. His wife tends to the store and postoffice during his absence on the road. Mr. Danforth has been twice married. First, in Lawrence, Massachusetts, September 21, 1851, to Miss Harriet C. Davis, who died in this county in 1862. His second marriage occurred in Rock Port, February 23, 1865, to Martha Robinson, daughter of John Robinson, of Decatur, Ohio. By this happy union they have three children: Edwin C., born June 22, 1869; Evalina A, born April 30, 1873, and Simeon Guy, born December 6, 1880. Politically, Mr. D. is a Republican, and his religious preferences are with the Universalists. His wife is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

LOUIS DAPPEN
Honorable in all his dealings with his fellow men and in all the relations of life, popular among the people of his county, progressive and public-spirited in his activities, and generous in his disposition, Louis C. Dappen, of Saguache county, with a fine ranch of valuable land comprising six hundred and forty acres, located five miles northwest of Center, and two others aggregating six hundred and forty acres additional, one located near Hooper and the other near Center, Louis C. Dappen is easily one of the leading and most substantial citizens of Saguache county.  And his possessions are all the more creditable to him in that they are the results of his own unassisted thrift and enterprise, and have been won through difficulties and over many obstacles.  Mr. Dappen was born on June 15, 1867, in Atchison county, Missouri, and is the son of Benjamin and Mary Dappen, the former a native of Switzerland and the latter of Germany.  During the early days of his residence in this country, the father followed stage driving, but the latter part of it was devoted to farming.  Nebraska was his final earthly home, and there he died in 1892, having by twenty-three years survived his wife, who passed away in 1869.  Three of their children are living, Benjamin, Henry W. and Louis C.  The last named received only a common school education, and that of a limited extent, as he was early obliged to make his own living by working on the farm.  He remained in his native state until 1888, when he came overland to Colorado with all that he possessed, two teams, two sets of harness, one wagon and eighteen dollars in money.  The time required for the trip was twenty-eight days, and on his arrival in the San Luis valley he at once secured one hundred and sixty acres of land on a pre-emption claim.  After improving this he sold it in 1890 at a loss, but in the meantime, with a view to other purchases in the neighborhood, he helped to build the Farmers’ Union ditch, in which he still has an interest.  After selling his first ranch he located another, and being unsuccessful in improving this in four years’ effort, he gave it up, and in 1896 bought one of four hundred and eighty acres, which he sold in 1898 to J. M Warden, a sketch of whom will be found on another page.  He then, for a year, rented a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres, and in 1899 bought his present home ranch of six hundred and forty acres, which is superior land and very valuable.  The place is well supplied with water, all substantially fenced, and improved with a good dwelling and other necessary buildings.  In addition to this, as has been noted, he owns a ranch of four hundred and eighty acres near Hooper and one of one hundred and sixty near Center, making one thousand two hundred and eighty acres in all, all the tracts lying with convenient distances of one another.  He raises excellent crops of peas, hay, wheat and oats, and carries on an extensive stock industry, especially in hogs and cattle.  His start in life was next to nothing, and all he has he has made himself, and his holdings rank him among the large landholders of the county, while his prosperity demonstrates that he possesses first rate business qualifications.  Fraternally he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World.  His first marriage occurred on November 22, 1888, and was with Miss Mattie Warren, a native of Iowa.  They had two children who died in infancy.  He married Miss Ella Hayes, who was born in Kansas.  They have three children, Cora E., Perry L. and Ina L.  His first wife died on March 4, 1892m and the second on December 17, 1900.  Mr. Dappen is, in the matter of public improvements, interested in the Farmers’ Union Ditch Company and the Rio Grande Land & Water Company.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Nancy Overlander)

JESSE H. DAVIS; Jesse H. Davis, one of the leading business men of Rockport, Missouri, and the president of the Northwest Missouri Telephone Company, knows no home but Atchison county. In 1858, when his father located in the sparsely settled region around Phelps City, Jesse H. was but a prattling babe, and it was in that vicinity that he grew to manhood and received his early mental training.
Hugh L. Davis, the father of the subject, in the year above named, located two and a half miles northeast of the village of Phelps City. The trip from his former home in Greene county, Tennessee, he made overland with a team, one hundred and fifty dollars and a vigorous constitution. Being of an industrious disposition and having a determination to succeed, it is not surprising that his career as a citizen of Missouri was satisfactory to him and his family. Hugh L. Davis was born in Greene county, Tennessee, was a planter's son, and his ancestors were among the early settlers in east Tennessee. He was a son of John Davis, who was born in Virginia. Hugh L. was born in 1836, and, on account of the comparative lack of educational advantages of that part of the country at that time, received only an inadequate education, it being limited to reading, writing and a little arithmetic. About the time of attaining his majority he married Rebecca R. Kidwell, a daughter of Elijah Kidwell, and by her became the father of the following children: John E. Davis, of Atchison county; Jesse H., the subject of this sketch, who was born September 10, 1857; Mary A., who died in infancy; and Charles F., now residing at Pacific Junction, Iowa.
Hugh L. Davis personally conducted his farm near Phelps for thirty-four years, and was so successful in the management of his affairs that a fair if not large profit was the result. The area of his possessions increased, his credit became strong, and his popularity extended and strengthened with the lapse of time. In 1892, having by his industry, economy and straightforward business methods acquired a competency sufficient to satisfy his personal and family necessities for the rest of their natural lives, he retired from active labor to the privacy of a beautiful home in Rockport. During the progress of the Civil war he was faithful to his country, and for a time was connected with the militia. Politics never had any attraction for him, he being content to exercise his constitutional right of suffrage unmolested, and interfering with no one in the unimpeded exercise of the same right. As a principle of government he has supported Democracy, cleaving to the ancient and honorable wing of the party of 1896.
During the first thirty years of his life Jesse H. Davis labored with his father on the farm. The independence of his family and the continued advancement and progress of the age in educational, as in other matters, rendered it comparatively easy for him to acquire a good education and thus equip himself for intellectual rather than manual labors. At the age of nineteen he became a student in the Nebraska State Normal School, and in 1888 he removed to Rockport, in which city he first engaged in the livery business, his business here for eleven years being the leading one in the city and county, Davis Brothers being well known in that line and also in the buggy and carriage business. In 1899 he disposed of his livery interest and has since devoted himself to the buggy and carriage business.
In other lines Mr. Davis has also demonstrated his fitness to manage large concerns and also his progressive spirit and insight into the future and as a promoter of one of the most prominent enterprises of his county.  Some years ago there appeared to be a demand for more complete telephone connection throughout his part of the state, and in August, 1895 the Northwest Missouri Telephone Company was organized, with Mr. Davis as its president. This company has an exchange in Rockport and another in Tarkio, and connects with Hamburg, Iowa, St. Joseph, Missouri, and South Omaha, Nebraska, as well as with many farmer lines throughout this section of Missouri.
In all business relations Mr. Davis is well known for his promptness, for his fair dealing and his honorable methods and intentions. His judgment as to the merits or demerits of a proposition rarely leads him astray, and when he consents to a deal or gives his aid or encouragement to an enterprise, he is always the last to take a backward step. In every way Mr. Davis is one of the leading and most progressive citizens of his county, and is highly esteemed in every direction.
Mr. Davis was married November 27, 1892, to Miss Leonora Baker, a daughter of Henry C. Baker, and to this marriage there has been born one child, Jesse Gene.
Source:  A History of the Pioneer Families of Missouri: with numerous sketches ... By William Smith Bryan publ. 1876 Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack

WILLIAM DE ARMOND was born in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, on the 26th of February, 1826. His father, John DeArmond, was a native of the same county, and his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Campbell, was born in Ireland. His paternal grandfather was born in Ireland, but was of French descent. He served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and was at the battle of Bunker Hill and at the surrender of Yorktown. For his services during that conflict he drew a pension and died at the advanced age of 112 years. His son, John DeArmond, and family moved to Sangamon County, Illinois, in 1846. William was raised on a farm and remained at home for about four years, after the family had located in Sangamon County. In 1852 he went to California and for three years was in the mining business, after which he returned from the gold fields and settled in Ringgold County, Iowa, where he lived twelve years. He then came to Atchison County, Missouri, and settled on his farm in this township. He has 120 acres of land in his home place and an eighty acre tract in another; his land is all well improved, and his large bearing orchard contains 1,200 apple, 300 peach and fifty cherry trees, besides other varieties. Mr. DeArmond was married on February 6, 1851, to Miss Adaline Carson, daughter of William Carson. She was born in Sangamon County, Illinois, July 30, 1829, and was married on the same place of her birth, the land adjoining the place of the noted Peter Cartwright. Mr. and Mrs. DeArmond have had eleven children, of whom nine are living: Jacob E., born November 16, 1851; Eldora F., born February 15, 1856; Rachel L., born March 17, 1857; Jerome C., born June 11, 1858; Cynthia A., born September 18, 1859; Charles D., born April 20, 1861; Winfield S., born October 9, 1862; Lenoir H., born May 4, 1864, and George W., born November 14, 1865. Mr. and Mrs. DeArmond are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JACOB E. DE ARMOND, farmer and stock raiser, section 33, township 64, range 39, is a native of Sangamon County, Illinois, and was born November 16, 1851, being the son of William DeArmond. This latter named person was born in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, February 26, 1826, and on February 6, 1851, was married to Miss Adaline Carson, of Sangamon County, Illinois. In 1855 they, with their family, moved to Ringgold County, Iowa, where Jacob grew to manhood on a farm, he obtaining the advantages of a common school education. In 1867 he came with his parents to Atchison County, Missouri, and settled in this township. Mr. DeArmond now has a farm of 150 acres, well improved, his orchard containing 175 apple, 200 peach and other fruit trees. On the 6th of October, 1872, he was married in this county to Miss Nancy D. Blanchard, daughter of Walter and Elvira Blanchard. She was born in DuPage County, Illinois. They have had four children, but one of whom at present survives: Blanche A., born July 29, 1874; Maud was born July 11, 1876, and died September 19, 1877; William Walter was born August 10, 1878, and died June 30, 1879, and Ada Adaline was born August 10, 1878, and died July 15, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. DeArmond are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. DeArmond politically is a Republican.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

DEUSER & BROTHER, dealers in general hardware, furniture and farm implements, are conducting business at Rock Port and Fairfax, and are the leading merchants in their line in the county. This firm is composed of George and Charles Deuser, they being twins. They were born in Germany, October 14, 1843, and in 1850 they came to America and located in Louisville, Kentucky, where they were educated. George Deuser came to Brownville, Nebraska, in 1858, and in 1859 Charles followed. There they learned the tinners’ trade, and since 1869 they have been engaged in their present business in Rock Port. George Deuser was married, March, 1873, to Miss Eliza Kuierian, who was born in Germany in 1855. They have three children: Willie, Letta and Charlie. Charles Deuser was married, May 14, 1874, to Miss Fannie Minnich. She was born in Osenberg, Ohio, January 20, 1851. They have had three children, two of whom are now living, Harry and George.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JAMES M. DRAGOO was born in Brown County, Ohio, April 23, 1846, and is the son of Franklin and Susan Dragoo, nee Hawk, who were both natives of Ohio. James was brought up to habits of industry, working on a farm and attending the common schools of his native county. He was there married September 22, 1867, to Miss Mary J. Redmon, who was born in Brown County, Ohio, February 2, 1849, being a daughter of Nevel and Jane Redmon. In 1870, the subject of this sketch moved to Atchison County, Missouri, and settled in Clay Township, where he continued to reside for ten years, then coming to his present location in March, 1881. Mr. Dragoo has 200 acres of land in section 7, moderately improved. He is quite extensively interested in raising and feeding stock, in which he is very successful. Mr. and Mrs. D. have three children living: Neal F., born June 17, 1871; Clara B., born September 1, 1873, and Susan J., born June 25, 1876. Two are deceased. Mr. Dragoo is independent in politics, although his preferences were formerly with the Republican party.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

CHRISTOPHER C. DRAGOO, section 2, was born in Brown County, Ohio, October 28, 1840. Milton Dragoo, his father, was born in the same county, and his mother, whose maiden name was Mary Parker, was a native of Adams County, Ohio. C.C. Dragoo was raised on a farm and was educated in the common schools. He enlisted in the army December 3, 1861, in Company F, Seventieth Ohio Infantry, and was in the service nine months, being honorably discharged September 5, 1862. After being discharged, he returned to Brown County, where he remained till July, 1863, when he came to Atchison County, Missouri, settling in Clay Township. He bought a place with his brother, and engaged in farming, and in March, 1877, came to his present farm in Clark Township. Mr. D. has 240 acres of land, all fenced, with 160 acres improved. He has a young orchard of 130 apple, 100 peach and some cherry, pear and plum trees, besides small fruits. Mr. Dragoo was married February 23, 1865, to Miss Needels, daughter of E.S. and Sarah Needels. She was born in Atchison County, Missouri, September 7, 1846. They have five children living – Edward S., born January 12, 1866; Una Belle, born November 21, 1867; John F., born December 15, 1869; Daniel C., born October 30, 1870; Etna M., born September 17, 1873. Two are deceased. Mr. Dragoo makes a business of dealing in and feeding stock.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

LAWSON DRAGOO, proprietor of livery barn, was born in Brown County, Ohio, February 24, 1838, and is a son of Franklin W. and Susan (Hawk) Dragoo, who were both natives of Brown County, Ohio. Lawson was reared on a farm in his mother county, and there received his education. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Seventieth Ohio Infantry, remaining in service for three years and one month. He participated in many important battles, among which was the battle of Pittsburg Landing, and in all of Sherman’s engagements on his march to the sea. He received one wound at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain. In 1865 Mr. D. came to Atchison County, where he was engaged in farming till the fall of 1881, when he began his present business, in which he has built up a liberal patronage, being kind, and of an obliging disposition. Mr. Dragoo was married August 31, 1859, to Miss Ellen Anderson, of Brown County, Ohio, who died in October, 1862. They had two children, William E. and Jane L. He was again married February 19, 1865, to Miss A. Mitchell. She was born in Mason County, Kentucky, in the year 1840. They have two children, Anna F. and Ida L.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOSEPH DRAKE, farmer and carpenter, section 20, was born in Yorkshire, England, in September, 1837. He worked from the time he was nine years old for several years in a large woolen factory, where his father had also worked from his boyhood to old age, and then the corporation pensioned him for life. His grandfather also worked through life in the same factory. At the age of fifteen years, Joseph went to work and learned the carpenter’s trade, which he continued for three years. He then came to this country, and settled in Hocking County, Ohio, where he resumed working at his trade until December 25, 1866, when he came to Andrew County, Missouri. He labored in Savannah for a while, and in the fall of 1867, he came to this county and bought a part of his farm, which he improved. He has been greatly prospered in all his enterprises, and now, with his fine improvements, and large additions to his original purchase, he has a beautiful and valuable farm on the banks of the Nishnebotna River, containing 425 acres of land. Mr. Drake married Miss Sarah Elizabeth Trout, in Ohio, in 1866. She died in 1874, leaving three children: Rennie Florence, born September 28, 1868; Francis Paul, born November 11, 1870, and Mary Abertha, born March 12, 1872. Mr. D. married for his second wife Miss Jennie Fergurson, of North Carolina, December 26, 1876. They have three children: Daisy Bell, born September 24, 1877; Bert Elliot, born October 11, 1879, and Fred J., born September 15, 1881. In politics, he is a Greenbacker. Few men have done better in life than Mr. D. Starting in life one hundred dollars in debt for his passage, he has worked hard, been fortunate in his calculations, and has become a leading farmer and an influential man in this county.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JAMES M. DUNLAP,
one of Clark Township’s pioneers, and a man highly respected, was born February 7, 1833, in Virginia, his parents, John and Isabella A. (North) Dunlap, both being Virginians by birth. James grew to manhood on a farm in Greenbrier County, receiving his primary education in the common schools, and afterwards attending the Lewisburg Academy. He first moved to Missouri in 1854, and settled on his present farm, where he lived for five years, after which, in 1859, he returned to Virginia. In that state he resided until the winter of 1874, when he returned to his farm in Clark Township, in this county. His place consists of 140 acres of land, all fenced, and upon it is a good orchard of all varieties of fruit. Mr. Dunlap’s marriage to Miss Malinda E. Payne occurred April 14, 1854, in Bath County, Virginia. She is the daughter of Lewis Payne, of that locality, and was there born on the 19th of November, 1836. Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap have four children: Mary L.R. (wife of B.W. Sedwick, of Fairfax), born October 2, 1856; Mildred I., born October 22, 1860; John N., born October 11, 1867, and Lewis P., born December 19, 1869. Mr. and Mrs. D. are members of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and the former belongs to the Masonic order. He resides on section 29, township 64, range 40.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN DICKINSON DOPF, whose portrait appears in this work, is one of the self-made men of this country, through his own exertions. He was born in Platteville, Grant County, Wisconsin, July 18, 1839. Frederick Dopf, his father, a native of Baden Baden, Germany, was a miner. His mother’s maiden name was Jane Mahood, and she was born in Wythe County, Virginia. The subject of this sketch was deprived of his parents when he was but seven years old, and he was early thrown upon his own resources. He secured a limited education in the common schools, and when quite young was apprenticed to the blacksmith trade. He then moved to Lancaster, Wisconsin, where he served an apprenticeship to the printing business. At the expiration of his time, when eighteen years of age, feeling the necessity of a better education than he had obtained in the common schools, he attended the Lancaster Institute one year. He worked for some time as a traveling printer in different towns of Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois. In 1860 he published for the term of six months, the Independent Watchman, a weekly newspaper in Mount Morris, Illinois. In the fall of the same year he moved to Polo, Illinois, where he engaged in the publication of the Rock River Press, and afterwards of the Polo Advertiser. In the spring of 1861, on the breaking out of the rebellion, he enlisted in the Chicago Zouaves, and was with the first troops that left the city. At the end of his three months’ term of service, he enlisted in the Eleventh Wisconsin regiment, from which he was shortly after discharged on account of disability. In the spring of 1862, he removed to Missouri, and settled in St. Louis. In the fall of the same year he took charge of the state printing office at Jefferson City, remaining in that capacity till the summer of 1863, when he returned to St. Louis and worked in the Democrat office several months. He then moved to Rock Port, with a view of establishing a Republican newspaper, and in September, 1863, issued the first number of the Atchison County Journal, and has ever since been engaged in its publication. He filled, with ability, the office of surveyor of Atchison County, from 1864 to 1870. He has, also, for some years past been actively engaged in the real estate business, and he has done much toward inducing emigration to this county, and otherwise contributing to its advancement. Until a few years ago he was also a member of the well-known banking firm of Durfee, McKillop & Dopf – later Durfee & Wyatt, and now the Bank of Atchison County. He has been a member of the State Militia ever since his first arrival in the state, and at one time held a lieutenant’s commission in the same. He was among those who enrolled during the war, under the famous “Order No. 24.” In 1870 he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is still a member. He has for the past thirteen or fourteen years belonged to North Star Lodge, A.F. & A.M., in Rock Port, and is also a member of Zerubbabel Royal Arch Chapter, and Adoniram Council, R. and S.M., in Phelps City, Missouri. In 1864 he assisted St. Joseph, Missouri, at the organization of the Grand Lodge of the Union League in the state. In politics, he has ever been a conservative Republican. In January, 1865, he married in Mount Morris, Illinois, Miss Mary A. Burnette, daughter of Rodney Burnette of that place. He has three children living – Minta, John R. and Paul. Mr. Dopf is highly respected in the community where he resides, for his strict integrity and Christian virtues. He has long been an active member of the Sabbath School, and is a person who is one of the foremost in every good cause.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

DUNCAN MC DONNELL, farmer and stock raiser, has 280 acres of land, and resides on section 20. He was born in Nova Scotia, near Halifax, June 15, 1842, and was the son of Duncan and Eliza (Horn) McDonald. His early years were spent in school and working on a farm. In 1864 young Duncan went to the Renfrew Gold Mines, in Nova Scotia, where he worked until the spring of 1866, when he came to this state, locating in this county, in April. He soon bought some land commenced work, and was encouraged with good crops. After he made improvements he added, from time to time, to his farm and now has one of the best places on these rich bottoms. He built a beautiful residence and a good barn, and everything about him denotes a successful agriculturist. Mr. McDonnell was married, in Brownville, Nebraska, to Mrs. Christie McKay McMichel, of Nova Scotia, December 10, 1867. She died March 10, 1879, and left six children, four of whom, Austin, Belle, Ann B. and Lulu, were by a former husband, Robert McMichel, whom she married in Nova Scotia, in 1853. He died in August, 1866. The remaining two children were Frances and Earl. Austin McMichel remained with his step-father and received a good education, and when seventeen years of age he went to Rock Port and studied medicine, with Dr. Tracey a portion of the time, for two years. The remainder of the time he was in a drug store. He took a thorough course of study at the St. Louis Medical College and graduated with honor in March, 1879. In 1877 he bought the drug establishment of William Buckham, and is doing an excellent business in connection with his practice. Very few young men have a better reputation as a druggist, practitioner and a careful business man. Mr. McDonnell is a prominent farmer, and a man whom it does one good to meet, being intelligent, affable in his manners and cultured.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM A. DANIEL, farmer, section 18, is a native of Jackson County, Alabama, and was born April 14, 1842. William Daniel, his father, was a native of the same county, born May 19, 1818. His parents were natives of Kentucky. He spent his boyhood days in Alabama, and was married to Miss Margaret Mulkey, July 11, 1838, she being a native of Kentucky, born October 11, 1819. With her parents, she moved to Alabama at an early age. Mr. and Mrs. Daniel, in company with two families, procured a light wagon and two horses, and one morning in October, 1843, loaded their goods and started for Atchison County, Missouri. The following winter was spent in Carroll County, Tennessee, and in May, 1844, they arrived at Brunswick, Missouri, having disposed of their wagon and horses. Mr. D. had twenty dollars as his part, and by boat they went to Weston. While going up the river, Mr. D. discovered that his twenty dollars was counterfeit, and he was put ashore. Returning to Brunswick, he compromised with the original purchaser, and received a gun and one dollar and a half. After this he went to Weston, where he joined the families. They were obliged to walk to their present home, about one hundred and forty miles. Mr. D. commenced with nothing and is now classed among the wealthiest citizens of the county. The subject of this biography was only two years old when his parents came to this county. He remained with them till 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, Second Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and was mustered out in about nine months. He soon re-enlisted in the Forty-third Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out in July, 1865. Mr. D. was married in 1865 to Miss M.V. Ferrill, a native of Baltimore, Maryland, after which they settled where they now reside, remaining till 1874. Then they moved to Smith County, Kansas, and some five years later returned to their former farm. They have but one child, born July 6, 1876. Mrs. D. is a member of the M.E. Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN W. DAVIS is a member of the firm of Davis & DeLee, hardware merchants at Westboro. This firm was established in March, 1881, the business having formerly been conducted by Day & Bell. When the present proprietors took charge the stock was increased by adding a complete line of general hardware. The subject of this sketch, John W. Davis, is a native of Des Moines County, Iowa, and was born in 1856, being the son of David L. and Lavina Davis. His father was a native of Kentucky and his mother of Illinois. They settled in Des Moines County, Iowa, sometime after their marriage. John W. spent his boyhood and received his education in his native county, assisting his father on the farm till 1877, when he began farming for himself. In 1879 he sold out and moved to Essex, Page County, Iowa, where he entered the mercantile business. He was married, in 1877, to Miss Lavina V. Dodd, a native of Des Moines County, Iowa, and by this union they have two children, Lawrence and Grace. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are both members of the M.E. Church. The establishment with which Mr. D. is connected is a prominent one and the members well merit their success and deserve a liberal patronage for the citizens of Westboro and vicinity.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

NATHAN S. DAVIS, farmer, section 8, was born in Cumberland County, New Jersey, July 27, 1839, being the only son of Nathan and Hannah J. (Barrett) Davis. His father was a native of the same county, born in 1812, and his mother of Salem County, New Jersey, born January 1, 1817. The former died in 1840. Mrs. Davis was married the second time to one J.P. Simpkins, and in 1849, moved to Peoria County, Illinois, and to Sarpy County, Nebraska, in 1856. She died September 1, 1879. In 1850, the subject of this sketch went to Illinois, and later, with his parents to Nebraska. In 1862, he took a trip to California, where he remained till 1865, then returning to Nebraska. April 5, 1868, he married Miss E. Minerva Woodhull, a native of Kilworth, Middlesex County, Ontario. She was born October 20, 1846, and was a daughter of J. and Eliza Woodhull. Mr. W. was a native of Canada, and her mother of New York. Mrs. Davis with her parents came to Atchison County in 1857. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Davis consists of three children living: Loraine Lee, born June 22, 1869; Melvin Woodhull, born July 16, 1871, and Fred Stennett, born March 26, 1878. Mr. and Mrs. D. are members of the M.E. Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

CLARENCE DE LEE, of the firm of Davis & De Lee, hardware merchants, Westboro, was born in Des Moines County, Iowa, in 1861. His parents were J.E. and A.C. De Lee, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Iowa. Clarence remained in Des Moines County, Iowa, till 1868, when, with his parents, he moved to Greeley, Colorado. There he continued to dwell till 1874, when he came to Essex, Page County, Iowa, where he completed his education. In 1880 he entered the wholesale grocery house of Paxton & Gallagher, at Omaha, Nebraska, in whose employ he was till 1881. He then assisted in his father’s hardware store at Essex, Iowa, till March, 1882, when, in connection with Mr. John W. Davis, he purchased their present stock of goods. This is the only house in Westboro that confines itself to the hardware business. Mr. De Lee is an excellent salesman, and a young man of pleasing address and social manners.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.J. DENNY, was born February 13, 1846, in Washington County, Indiana. His father, Christopher H. Denny, and also his mother, formerly Phoebe Wright, were natives of the same county. His grandfather, John Wright, was one of the pioneer preachers of Washington County, Indiana. His uncle, Jacob Wright, was one of the pioneer preachers of this county and one of the ablest debaters of his day. The subject of this sketch was raised on a farm and received a common school education. At the age of eighteen years he went into military service, enlisting in the Fifth Indiana Cavalry in February, 1864, in which he served until the close of the war. While in the service he participated in numerous engagements among which were the important battles of Chattanooga, Ringgold, Dalton, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta and several others. After the war he returned to Indiana and remained there some two years, attending schools at May’s Seminary, located at Salem, Indiana. March, 1867, he came to Missouri and settled in Holt County, near Oregon, where he lived until the fall of 1870, engaged most of the time in teaching. In the spring Mr. Denny entered the store of B.B. Frazer & Co., at Mound City, as clerk, and in the fall of the same year he was employed in the same business with Dr. Taylor, who, at time was carrying on a mercantile trade at Graham, in Nodaway County. In March he formed a partnership with J.L. Gomel & Co., and was engaged in the general merchandise business at Graham until April, 1872. Shortly after leaving Graham he bought an interest in the firm of Denny Bros., at Corning, and was in business at this place two years. In May, 1874, he moved his stock of goods to Milton and has since been a resident of Atchison County. Mr. Denny bought the first business lot offered for sale in Fairfax, erected a store building and has since been engaged in the drug business. He was married in Mound City, Missouri, March 23, 1871, to Miss Mary A. Hoover, daughter of Peter Hoover. Mrs. Denny was born in Indiana, April 29, 1851. They have five children: Iola Ethel, born February 7, 1872; Eula May, born June 30, 1874; Essie Beatrice, born September 4, 1876; Harry Hoover, born December 18, 1878, and Otto Clifton, born July 29, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Denny are members of the Christian Church. Mr. D. belongs to both the Odd Fellows and Masonic orders. He is a Republican in politics and was nominated and elected by his party as one of the county judges in the fall of 1878, serving for one term.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.


JOHN P. DUNHAM, farmer, section 28. This pioneer is a native of Brown County, Ohio, and was born October 6, 1823. In 1826, with his parents, he moved to Johnson County, Indiana, and settled on a farm. His father died in 1837 and his mother still resides at the old homestead in Indiana, being in her eighty-third year. John P. Dunham was married September 8, 1844, to Miss Elizabeth Mullis, a native of Washington County, Kentucky, born February 9, 1822. With her parents she moved to Johnson County, Indiana, in 1830. Mr. Dunham subsequently purchased a piece of timber land in Indiana, but soon becoming dissatisfied with it, sold out and moved to Holt County, Missouri, in 1848, and to Atchison County in 1849. He then settled where he now resides, having a beautiful farm of 200 acres, well improved. Mr. and Mrs. D. have seven children living: A.J., Nathan, John, Henry, Alfred, William and Vinna. Mrs. D. is a church member.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

A.B. DUNHAM, farmer, section 27, was born in Johnson County, Indiana, July 9, 1832, and is a son of Aaron and Elizabeth (Wheaten) Dunham. The former, who was a native of Ohio, died about the year 1839. The mother was born in New Jersey. After being married they moved to Indiana, at an early day. Aaron spent his boyhood days and received a good education in his native county, residing with his mother and family till he was twenty-four years old, except during the summer of 1854, which was spent in Atchison County, Missouri. He was married November 27, 1858, to Miss Nancy E. Prichard, a native of Johnson County, Indiana, born November 5, 1840. She was a daughter of Lewis and Susan (Marlin) Prichard, natives of Henry County, Kentucky, but who went to Indiana at an early day. After their marriage, Mr. Dunham and wife settled in their native county, and remained till 1877, when they located where they now reside. The farm consists of 120 acres of well improved land. They have eight children living: Louetta, James S., Emery, Alfred, Albert, John M., Jennie M. and Ida. They have lost two, Emma and Alonzo. Mr. and Mrs. D. are members of the Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

A.J. DUNHAM, farmer, section 27, is a native of Johnson County, Indiana, where he was born September 3, 1845. His parents were John P. and Elizabeth A. Dunham, with whom he moved to Holt County, Missouri, in 1848, and to Atchison County in 1859, settling near Center Grove. Here he spent his boyhood days and received a good education. During the late war he enlisted in Company I, Forty-third Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry in 1865, and was mustered out June 30, 1865. He then returned home and devoted his time to farming, purchasing his present place in 1873. Mr. D. married March 15, 1877, Miss Emma Coulter, a native of Hancock County, Illinois, born January 8, 1858. She was a daughter of Josiah and Mary Coulter, natives of Ohio. Her father was born in 1829, and her mother in 1833. After being married they settled in Illinois, and in 1865 moved to Nodaway County, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. D. have two daughters: Mary L., born April 6, 1878, and Helen, born March 4, 1880. Mr. D. is a member of the Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ELISHA T. DAVENPORT, farmer and stock raiser, section 4. The subject of this sketch was born on the 11th of April, 1858, in Mason County, Illinois. His father, Henry Davenport, was a native of Kentucky, and his mother Susan (Garner) Davenport, was born in Indiana. Elisha remained at his birthplace until ten years of age, spending his boyhood days on a farm. In 1868 he accompanied the family to Atchison County, Missouri. They settled on a farm and have since remained here. He received a preparatory education in the common schools, and then attended school some two years at Peru, Nebraska. Arriving at maturity, he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. He now farms 280 acres of his father’s land, and is an enterprising young citizen of this township. Mr. Davenport was married on the 19th of March, 1882, to Miss Jennette Miller, daughter of Isaac and Amy Miller, of this county. She was born July 22, 1864, in this county and was raised here. She is a member of the Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN H. DAVIS, farmer and stock raiser, section 27, also an early settler of this township, was born November 5, 1839, in Greene County, Tennessee. His parents, John and Sarah (McNees) Davis, were also natives of that state. John was the fifth in a family of ten children. He was reared to manhood at his birthplace, on a farm, receiving a good common school education, and during life he has devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits. During the war he espoused the Southern cause and enlisted in Company A, Sixty-first Tennessee Infantry, in June, 1862. They entered the field in September of that year, and served until the close of the war. Enlisting as a private, he was afterwards elected lieutenant. He served with the West Mississippi and East Louisiana Departments, and took part in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, the engagements around Vicksburg, Port Gibson, Champion’s Hill, Black River Bridge, then through the entire siege of Vicksburg. He was paroled, and in the spring of 1864 he was exchanged. His regiment was then mounted and served in East Tennessee and Virginia until the close of the war. Mr. Davis soon returned to his old home, and in June, 1865, he came to Atchison County, Missouri. That fall his family moved out and settled at Iowa Point, Kansas. In the spring of 1866 they located on a farm in Atchison County, Missouri, and in 1871 he settled where he now resides. He owns 400 acres of well improved land, and has a comfortable residence, an orchard, etc. His place is well watered and well adapted for stock raising. He is a member of Atchison Lodge No. 220, A.O.U.W., of Tarkio, of which he holds the office of Overseer. He also belongs to North Star Lodge No. 157, A.F. and A.M., of Rock Port. Mr. Davis was married May 30, 1860, to Miss Sarah McCurry, a daughter of John and Hannah McCurry. She is a native of Greene County, Tennessee. They have six children living: Jesse H., born February 15, 1861; John M., born September 29, 1862; Thomas J., born February 2, 1865; Minnie V., born March 16, 1869; Lizzie, born May 7, 1874, and an infant unnamed, born March 12, 1880. Five are deceased. Mrs. Davis is a member of New Light Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ELISHA DIXON, farmer and stock raiser, section 1, was born March 15, 1823, in Jackson County, Ohio, and is the son of Joseph and Rachel (Wilkerson) Dixon, who were natives of North Carolina, and who went to Ohio when they were quite young. Elisha was reared on a farm at his birthplace, and received a common school education. He immigrated west in the spring of 1851, and settled in Stark County, Illinois, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In the fall of 1868, he came to Nodaway County, Missouri, locating near Quitman. He improved a farm of 440 acres, and moved from there to where he now resides in the spring of 1876. He owns 160 acres of well improved land, has a comfortable residence and an excellent orchard of some 300 bearing trees. During the late war he enlisted in the fall of 1861, in Company K, Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served three years. He filled the position of orderly sergeant, and took part in the battles of New Madrid, Island No. 10, first and second battles of Corinth, Iuka and Vicksburg. After the surrender of Vicksburg, he was taken sick and was discharged in 1864. He commenced life as a poor boy, and has been a self-made man. Mr. Dixon was married on the 24th of October, 1844, to Miss Lydia Nicholas, daughter of John and Elenore Nicholas. She was born the 11th of March, 1825, in Jackson County, Ohio, and is an old schoolmate of Mr. Dixon. They have been blessed with nine children, six of whom are living: Sophia, born July 28, 1845 (now Mrs. Henry Colwell); Francis M., born February 1, 1848; Pearly N., born May 22, 1850; Evaline, born March 17, 1853 (now the wife of James Graves); Emma, born October 22, 1860; Oliver W., born September 12, 1868. They are also raising two adopted children, Homer A. Dixon, born February 2, 1871, and Lena May Balton, born May 27, 1873. Mrs. Dixon is a member of the Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE W. DRAKE, farmer and stock raiser, section 27, was born July 19, 1839, in Brown County, Ohio. His parents, E.B. and Sarah (Martin) Drake, were both natives of Ohio. George was the second in a family of seven children. He was reared to manhood at his birthplace, spending his boyhood days on a farm. He received the benefits of a common school education, and has given his attention to agricultural pursuits through life. He took a trip westward in the summer of 1866 for the benefit of his health, and as this western country seemed to agree with him, he concluded to locate here permanently. He moved his family to Andrew County, Missouri, in the fall of 1865, and in March, 1866, he located on the old Holland farm near Rock Port. In 1870 he purchased the farm where he now lives, and at this time owns 420 acres of fine land, and is one of Atchison County’s most enterprising citizens and is well and favorably known. Mr. Drake was married August 18, 1859, to Miss Mary Rawlings, daughter of Cardiff and Rebecca (Perry) Rawlings. She was a native of Adams County, Ohio. They have had seven children, of whom six are living: Lee O., born June 1, 1860; Thomas E., born May 24, 1866; Asa S., born March 23, 1869; Ala M., born September 28, 1870; Sarah V., born October 18, 1874; Hetty R., born September 21, 1876. Himself and wife are members of the New Light Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.


Return to

Atchison County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.