Welcome to
Atchison County
Missouri


Biographies
" F "

ED B. FELLOWS; Ed B. Fellows, who carries on farming and stock raising in Atchison county, was born in Dodge county, Wisconsin, November 10, 1846, his parents being Isaac and Margaret (Elmore) Fellows. The father was a native of New Hampshire and was of English lineage. In New York he was married, the lady of his choice being a native of Canada, born at Quebec, of Scotch parentage. After their marriage they removed to Dodge county, Wisconsin, and in 1849 took up their abode in Waukesha county, near Milwaukee, locating in the midst of the forest, the father clearing some of the land upon which the city of Milwaukee has since been built. At that early day he sold wood to steamboats on the lake. All the surrounding country was a dense forest and coal was little used for fuel and wood could be obtained in almost limitless quantities. The forest was so dense that he was at one time lost for four and a half days in the woods, but eventually made his way back to the clearing. At different times he cleared and improved various Wisconsin farms and in 1865 he came to Missouri, purchasing a large tract of land in Andrew county, where he spent his remaining days, his death occurring in 1886, while his wife passed away in 1872. He was six feet in height, large and strong, and was an indefatigable worker in his earlier days. As a result of his untiring energy and his irreproachable honesty he accumulated a good estate. He was a worthy and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which his wife also belonged, and in politics he was a stalwart Republican. In his family were ten children, namely: William, who served during the war of the Rebellion in the First Wisconsin Cavalry and died in Savannah, Missouri; Mary, a resident of Nebraska; Maria, who is living in Denver, Colorado; Lewis, who joined the Twenty-fourth Wisconsin Infantry and died in the service, at the age of eighteen years; Edward B.; George, deceased; John H.; Charles, a railroad employee; and O. R. and Newton, deceased.
Mr. Fellows, whose name introduces this review, was reared to honest toil on the home farm and acquired his education in the district and graded schools. He came with his parents to Missouri in 1865 and assisted the father in the cultivation of the home farm until his marriage, on the 23d of March, 1871. He then began farming on his own account and two years later he removed to Green township, Nodaway county, where, in connection with agricultural pursuits, he began handling stock. After four years he came to Atchison county, in 1877, settling near Fairfax, in Clark township, where he purchased eighty acres of land, to the improvement of which he long devoted his energies. As his financial resources increased he extended the boundaries of his place by additional purchase until he now owns three hundred and sixty acres of rich land, much of which is under a high state of cultivation. He annually feeds about one hundred and sixty head of cattle and his business is extensive and profitable. He has been very successful and now owns a fine farm, on which are seen handsome and substantial improvements, including a commodious two-story frame residence, large barns and all necessary outbuildings. His home is surrounded by a beautiful grove of forest trees of his own planting, and on the place is a good bearing orchard. The home is pleasantly and conveniently located two miles northeast of Fairfax, and the owner is regarded as one of the substantial citizens and reliable business men of his community.
The lady who bore the name of Mrs. Fellows was in her maidenhood Miss Louise Miller. She was born in Andrew county, Missouri, April 1o, 1849, and represents one of the honored pioneer families there, her parents being Allen D. and Mary Miller. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Fellows were born nine children, of whom seven are yet living: Alma, now Mrs. Mann, of Spokane, Washington; Allen D. and Ed, who are engaged in the stock business at Hyannis, Nebraska; Maggie, at home; Pearl, who died in 1899, at the age of eighteen years; Ethel; Flood; and James. The mother of these children was called to her final rest April 8, 1896, leaving many friends as well as her husband and children to mourn her loss. She was a consistent member of the Christian church, and in that church Mr. Fellows' also holds membership. He is now serving as one of its deacons and is doing all in his power to promote church work. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a broad-minded, enterprising and public-spirited citizen, who is charitable to the poor and needy, withholding not his aid from those who need help. In politics he is an uncompromising Republican, unswerving in his advocacy of the principles of the party. He has ever maintained in his business career a high standing. Although he had little capital when he started out in life for himself, his labors have been diligently prosecuted through many years and he is to-day the owner of one of the finest farms in the county, the place standing as a monument to his thrift and enterprise.
Source:  A History of the Pioneer Families of Missouri: with numerous sketches ... By William Smith Bryan publ. 1876 Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack

EDWARD FELLOWS, section 11, was born in Dodge County, Wisconsin, November 10, 1846. Isaac Fellows, his father, was born in New Hampshire, and his mother, Margaret (Elmore) Fellows, was a native of Canada. In 1849 the family moved to Waukesha County, Wisconsin, and subsequently came to Missouri, settling in Andrew County in the spring of 1865. The subject of this sketch was raised on a farm, and was educated in the public schools, supplemented by one term attendance at the Savannah graded school. Mr. Fellows was married in Andrew County, Missouri, March 23, 1871, to Miss Louisa Miller, daughter of Allen D. and Mary Miller. She was born in Andrew County, Missouri, April 10, 1849. They have five children: Alma M., born August 10, 1872; Allen D., born April 9, 1874; Edward, born November 10, 1876; Maggie M., born October 22, 1880, and Pearl, born March 14, 1881. In 1873 Mr. F. moved from Andrew to Nodaway County, where he was engaged in handling stock and farming for four years. In 1877 he came to Atchison County and settled in Clark Township. He now has a fine farm of 240 acres of land, all fenced and improved, with a fair house and a good young orchard. Mr. Fellows makes a specialty of handling and feeding stock. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN H. FELLOWS,
a native of Waukesha County, Wisconsin, was born May 10, 1852, and is the son of Isaac and Margaret (Elmore) Fellows. The former was born in New Hampshire, and the latter was a Canadian by birth. In 1865, the family removed from Wisconsin to Missouri, and settled in Andrew County. The youthful days of John H. were passed on a farm, he fortunately obtaining a common school education. During the year 1872, he worked at the tinner’s trade in Savannah. May 8, 1878, he was united in marriage in Andrew County, Missouri, with Miss Lida Condon, daughter of Harrison and Elizabeth Condon. She was born on the 8th of May, 1858, in Savannah. Mr. and Mrs. Fellows have one child, Freddie, born December 24, 1880. In the spring of 1874, Mr. F. moved from Andrew to Nodaway County, and was there occupied in tilling the soil for four years. In the fall of 1878, he again chose another location, and came to Atchison County, settling in Clark Township. His farm contains 200 acres of land, all improved, situated in section 15. He is largely interested in feeding stock, in which he also deals, to a greater or less extent.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN FERGUSON, farmer and stock raiser, section 28, was born on the 13th of December, 1853, in Cedar County, Iowa. His parents, Thomas C. and Nancy (Young) Ferguson, were natives of Pennsylvania. John was the third in a family of four children. He grew to manhood on a farm at his birthplace, receiving the benefits of a common school education, and during life he has followed agricultural pursuits. In the fall of 1875, he came to Atchison County and purchased his present farm, settling upon it in the spring of 1876. He lived single for four years, and broke prairie. He now owns a farm of 120 acres, said to be one of the finest pieces of land in the county, and Mr. F. devotes much time to its improvement. He is a member of Atchison Lodge No. 220, A.O.U.W., of Tarkio, and was formerly a member of the Grange. Mr. Ferguson was married the 27th of June, 1880, to Miss Sarah U. Noble, daughter of J.D. and Rebecca Noble. She was born December 20, 1862, in Nodaway County, Missouri. They have one child, Frank Crittenden, born June 7, 1881. They are members of the Disciple’s Christian Church of Tarkio, in which Mr. F. holds the position of elder.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE WILLIAM FINK; The hotel business is one of the chief interests of a city and one in which the comforts and conveniences of the traveling public can he so attended to or so neglected as to make or mar the reputation of a city for hospitality. The hotels of Maryville, Nodaway county, Missouri, have not always been in good hands, and the business men of the place were more than glad when George W. Fink, the proprietor of the Linville and Ream hotels, practically took the business of public entertainment in Maryville into his own hands and put himself at the head of one of the city's essential and in some ways most important enterprises. In July, 1894, Mr. Fink leased the Linville hotel and applied his methods to its conduct with the result that its reputation has been so fully recovered and built up that it has become one of the popular and first-class houses in northwestern Missouri. In 1897 he secured control of the old Arlington hotel, now the Ream hotel, and conducts it as a "dollar-a-day" house. These two properties give Mr. Fink possession and practical control of the best business in his line and afford the city of Maryville two good houses for the entertainment of her guests.
Mr. Fink was born at Bremen, Indiana, July 9, 1864. His father, Martin Fink, was from Pennsylvania and was for a time a merchant, but for the most part a farmer. He emigrated to Marshall county, Indiana, before the war and died at Bremen in October, 1888. His wife, who was Polly Weaver, died at Bremen in May. 1893. Their children were: Lewis, of Bloomfield. Missouri; Mary, the wife of Michael Wahl, of Bremen, Indiana; Morgan, of Bremen; Eli, deceased: Ellen, now Mrs. Solomon
Huff, of Argos, Indiana: Charles and Larinda, deceased; Nettie. living at the Ream hotel, Maryville: Eliza, the wife of Oscar Hans, of South Bend. Indiana; and George 1 W., our subject.
George W. Fink passed his childhood and boyhood in the schools of Bremen until, at the age of seventeen, he became a grocery clerk in his father's grocery store in that village. Then, when his first two years' business experience was acquired, he left his home and his native town at nineteen and sought the opportunities of the west. He located at Hastings. Nebraska, and secured a night clerkship in the Lepin hotel there. He served in that position nearly two years* and left it to take the management of the Commercial hotel in the same city. He remained with this house a little less than three years and left it to go into business for himself at Fairbury. Nebraska, where he leased I the Commercial hotel and operated it successfully for six years. With his eleven years' experience in looking after the wants and comforts of the "knights of the grip" and with his natural adaptability to the work —for he is a born landlord—he transferred his energies to Maryville with the result that the hotel business there has been greatly improved and popularized.
His connection with the hotel business and his untiring efforts in behalf of the commercial men have not been alone for the glory and the name. He has so managed his affairs as to have ample reward for his services, as such reward comes in country places. He left his Indiana home with one hundred dollars in cash and from that sum his progress in financial matters must be compared and estimated. He has bought two farms in Nodaway county, aggregating two hundred and forty acres, one of which l1e has stocked and manages personally. This gives him an outing during each fine day during the warm season, changes his occupation and brings him rest and recreation when it is needed.
Mr. Fink married, at Hastings, Nebraska, December 8, 1886, Miss Agnes, a daughter of John Wesley Blodgett, of Three Rivers, Michigan. Her mother was Mary Bridgeman. Mrs. Fink is one of six children. Mr. Fink is the past chancellor of Tancred Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of Maryville, and is a devoted and well-advanced Mason, belonging to lodge, chapter and Maryville Commandery, No. 40. He is a friendly and genial man, very popular with his fellow townsmen and the traveling public.
Source:  A History of the Pioneer Families of Missouri: with numerous sketches ... By William Smith Bryan publ. 1876 Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack

THOMAS L. FIKE, farmer and stock raiser, section 8, was born September 29, 1834, in Morrison County, Illinois. His father, Josiah Fike, was born in Tennessee, and his mother, formerly Elizabeth Richardson, was a native of North Carolina. The former was a sailor, took part in the war on 1812, and was at the noted battle of New Orleans. Thomas was brought up on a farm and received an education in the neighborhood schools. In 1867 he moved to Newton County, Missouri, and settled on a farm, where he remained nine years. In the spring of 1876 he came to Atchison County, Missouri, locating where he now resides. He owns 140 acres of fine land, has a neat residence, good barn, orchard, etc. His place was one of the oldest settled places in the township, and in early times was a stopping place for travelers from Rock Port and the Nodaway River. Mr. Fike is a member of Atchison Lodge No. 220, A.O.U.W. of Tarkio. He was married April 3, 1856, to Miss Frances Henry, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Henry, of Marion County, Illinois. She was born February 11, 1837, in Robertson County, Tennessee. They have seven children: Nancy A., born January 5, 1857 (now Mrs. John Scott, of this county); Sarah E., born January 23, 1860; Josiah W., born March 31, 1862; Lou Ellen, born April 22, 1864; Arrah A., born October 1, 1866; Thomas H., born May 6, 1869; Edgar L., born March 8, 1872. Mr. Fike and wife are members of the Christian Church of Tarkio, in which he holds the position of deacon.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN FLEMING, farmer, section 28, is the owner of 258 acres of land. He was born in Page County, Virginia, February 6, 1831. His father, Andrew Fleming, was a native of Virginia, as was also his mother, formerly Mary E. Fleming. His grandfather, John Fleming, who was born in the north of Ireland, in 1754, died in 1844. Thomas Fleming, a brother, came to this country in the same ship, and also the father of John’s mother. John, Sr., had two children, James and Andrew, the last being the father of the subject of this sketch. James died when a child. John had good school advantages in youth, attending the Rappahannock County High School. He came to this state and county in 1854, and was engaged in teaching school for two years in Mound City, Holt County, and two years in other parts of the county. He married Miss Evaline Field, in April, 1855, a daughter of William D. Field, then of Holt, but now of this county. They have nine children living: Mary E., John L., Lee D., Lillian, Lucy E., Benton S., Andrew B., Mattie and Maggie. Mr. Fleming subsequently settled in Pawnee County, Nebraska, and was active in assisting in its organization. He was elected county surveyor and county clerk, and was postmaster and notary public at different times during his residence there. He bought a claim, and afterwards entered it. In 1862 he sold out and went to Denver, Colorado, where he entered into trade and commission business in the “Elephant Corral,” so-called. He continued to live there until 1869, doing a large and extensive business, then returned to this county and purchased a saw mill, which was located near where he now lives. He bought large tracts of land, sawed off the timber, and from a portion of it he has a beautiful farm. Mr. Fleming is one of the best posted men in the county upon mills and mill powers, excavations and public works. He is well known, and his advice is often sought for.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE H. FOSKET, farmer, section 2, was born in Lafayette County, Wisconsin, in November, 1846, and is a son of Robert and Lucy (Macy) Fosket. His father was a native of Connecticut and went to Fulton County, Illinois, in 1838, and in 1842 to Lafayette County, Wisconsin. He died in 1863. The mother of George H. died in 1872, aged sixty-three years. When twenty-one years old the subject of this sketch began for himself as a farmer. In February, 1862, he married Miss Hester A. Smith, a native of Mercer County, Pennsylvania, born in 1839. She was the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Smith, natives of Muskingum County, Ohio, who, after their marriage, settled in Pennsylvania, moving to Lafayette County, Wisconsin, in 1847. Her father died in 1876, aged sixty-two years, and her mother in 1848. Mr. and Mrs. Fosket finally located in Wisconsin, and in 1870 moved to Atchison County, Missouri, settling where they now reside in 1877. His farm consists of 120 acres of well improved land. Mr. and Mrs. F. have a family of three sons, Lorin, Lewis and Frank. Mrs. F. is a member of the Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM FRAISHER, farmer and stock raiser, is the owner of 400 acres of land, his residence being on section 28. He was born in DeKalb County, Tennessee, October 23, 1819. His father was Moses Fraisher, of Tennessee, and his mother, who was formerly Violet Love, was born in South Carolina. William came to Illinois with his father in 1828, and settled in Bond County. His opportunities for obtaining an education were limited. He learned the blacksmith and gunsmith trades, at which he worked as long as he lived in Illinois. In 1839, he came to Missouri, and settled in Greene County, in which vicinity he remained for several years, working at his trade. In 1845, he came to this county and bought the claim of his farm. His residence, additions and improvements, with its natural facilities, renders it a desirable place. Mr. Fraisher has been twice married. His first wife was Mrs. Rebecca Myers Harmon, daughter of Henry Myers, of East Tennessee, whom he married in Greene County, in November, 1842. They had one child by this union, a son, William W. Mrs. F. died in 1874. He was married the second time to Lottie Gabriel in 1876. They have three children: Louisa L., Rosana Jane and Una Della. When Mr. F. settled here there were but few settlers in the county. He, like all others, experienced hard times and discouragements of various kinds, but surmounted all obstacles, and profited by the experience. He now takes a front rank among the large and prosperous farmers of the county. In 1881, he went to California with his family, and remained there for several months, returning in March. In politics he is a Democrat, but voted for Lincoln. In his religious belief he worships with the Christian Church. Mr. Fraisher was the first postmaster on these bottoms. He is esteemed and respected by all who know him.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

DAVID FRAMPTON, farmer, section 30, was born in Clay County, Missouri, in 1851, and with his parents he came to Atchison County, Missouri, at an early day. Here he spent his boyhood days, and received a good education, starting out for himself in 1877, as a farmer. In 1880 he purchased his present valuable farm, of 200 acres. Mr. F. was married November 28, 1880, to Miss Laura Pedigo, a native of Atchison County, Missouri. She was born in 1858, being a daughter of H.S. and Mary Ann (Smith) Pedigo. Her parents, who were natives of Virginia, were married in 1844, and came to Atchison County, Missouri, in 1855. Mr. and Mrs. F. have one child: Delacy, born January 2, 1882. Mr. Frampton is a representative agriculturist of this district, and is respected by all.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

SAMUEL FRANCIS, a prominent farmer in section 31, was born in 1828, and is a native of Ross County, Ohio. His parents were natives of Virginia, and settled in Ross County, at an early day. Samuel spent his youthful days there and received a good education. He was married in 1848 to Miss Mary Strech, a native of Ross County, Ohio, born in 1832. They remained in that county until 1852, when they moved to Shelby County, Illinois, continuing to dwell there till 1866. Mr. F. then went to Peoria County, Illinois, and in 1869 came to where he now resides. He has a farm of 160 acres of fine land. Their family consists of four children: Jane, Milton, Druzella and Thomas. Mr. and Mrs. F. are both members of the M.E. Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

SHADE FRANKLIN, one of the leading farmers of Dale Township, was born in Surry County, North Carolina, July 8, 1832, his parents being John and Nancy A. (Early) Franklin, who were also natives of that county. In 1832 Shade accompanied the family on their removal from North Carolina to Tennessee, and settled in Roane County, where they resided some four years, moving thence to Cass County, Missouri, in the spring of 1837. The subject of this sketch there passed his boyhood days, and received a common school education. He also attended for a time the High School at Lone Jack, and the William Jewell College. In 1853 he commenced reading law, which, in connection with teaching school, he continued for seven years. During this time, in 1856, he went to Texas, where he taught school for some eighteen months, after which he began the practice of law, in Dallas County, where he was located about one and a half years. In 1859 he moved to Wayland, Texas, and was there engaged in the practice of his profession for something over a year. In 1860 Mr. Franklin returned to Holt County, Missouri, and gave his attention to agricultural pursuits. In February, 1864, he made a trip to Colorado, but returned in the July following. In the spring of 1865 he moved to Iowa, but after living there one year again came back to Missouri in 1866, locating this time in Buchanan County, where he made his home for three years. In 1869 he went to Lafayette County, but in the spring of 1873 came to his present farm in Dale Township, of this county. Mr. F. has 200 acres in his home place, well improved, good residence, etc., located on section 18. He was married in Texas to Miss Emogen Eddy, daughter of John Eddy. She died October 12, 1866. By this union Mr. Franklin has a family of six children: John E., Jessie F., Ella J., Anna M., Mattie L. and Benjamin G. He is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics he is a Democrat, and he was nominated and elected by his party one of the justices of the peace of this township at the general election of 1876. In this capacity he has continued to serve very acceptably for the past six years.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOSEPH B. FREDE, JR., farmer and stock dealer, was born in Putnam County, Ohio, February 9, 1845. His youth was spent at hard work, his educational advantages being limited. In April, 1845, he came to this state and county. He married Miss Catharine Giesken, April 18, 1871. She was the daughter of John Giesken, of Putnam County, Ohio. They have five children living: Clementine, John Burnett, Harmon Ferdinand, Carl and Florentine Caroline. Mr. F. has 185 acres of land, on section 4, some of the finest in the county. He lived with his father until he was twenty-six years old, at which time he commenced farming for himself. He was given the old homestead, which he has improved in good condition, adding much to his original tract. His time is principally occupied in buying and dealing in stock, in which he has been very successful. In politics, he is a Democrat, and in religion a Catholic. Mr. F. has been a prominent candidate for county judge, and has many warm friends in all parts of the county. John Henry Frede, farmer, is the owner of forty acres of land on section 4, and was born in Putnam County, Ohio, February 11, 1851. He married Clara Giesken, in 1873. They have three children: Mary, Harmon Henry and Joseph. Like all the sons of Joseph B. Frede, Sen., John Henry is an honest, industrious, economical and progressive farmer. He has a good home. William Frede lives on section 4. He was born in Putnam County, Ohio, February 17, 1853. He married Miss Winie Buck, of this township, in 1876. She was the daughter of Eben Buck. Joseph Barnet Frede, Sen., farmer, section 14, has 606 acres of land. He was born in Prussia, March 25, 1823, and came to this country in 1833, settling with his father in Putnam County, Ohio, where he grew up, working very hard. The new canal then being built through Henry County to Toledo, Ohio, afforded work for many men at very low wages; yet he worked at $1 per day, supporting his family and purchasing forty acres of heavy timbered land, upon which they went to work. After his father died, Joseph bought the interests of the two heirs. In the spring of 1864, he moved to Nebraska, and remained one year, and in 1865, he came to this county, settling one mile west of Watson, where he improved a fine farm. He resided upon this until 1873, when he came to the farm he now occupies. In 1844, he married Miss Clara Maria Rhinemere, daughter of Christian Rhinemere. They have eight children living: Joseph Barnet, Jr., Clara (Mrs. Martin Fisher), Catharine, “Katie” (now Mrs. William Eickholt), John Henry, William, Mary, John and Frank. Anna was born January 22, 1861, and died June 16, 1882. She was a young lady universally loved. When Mr. Frede came to Missouri, he invested in good land, and with the help of his sons has made fine improvements. He is one of the solid men of the county, has settled his children on farms as they have gone out from home, and now his family are among the most prosperous in this vicinity. He has a large farm in Worth County, upon which he has located a son-in-law, Mr. John Giesken. He is a Catholic, and in politics a Democrat.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JAMES R. FREET, farmer and stock dealer, section 26, was born in Carroll County, Missouri, October 2, 1845. His father, Joseph Freet, was born in Virginia, and his mother, Martha Freet, nee Riley, was a native of Indiana. In the fall of 1852 the family moved from Carroll County to Atchison County and settled in Clark Township, where they still reside. They live on the same place which they improved, in what is known as Irish Grove. James R. grew to manhood in this county on a farm. His education was very limited, being only such as could be obtained while attending school but a few months in the year. He was married March 24, 1870, in this county, to Miss Sarah Graves, daughter of Jacob and Ann Graves. She was born in Spencer County, Kentucky, December 1, 1846. They have two children: Martha Ann, born January 3, 1871, and Wilber, born October 9, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Freet are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. F. has been on his present farm six years. He owns 120 acres of land, all improved, with an orchard of 100 apple and some cherry trees besides other fruit. He makes a specialty of the stock business.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM FULLERTON, farmer and stock raiser, section 18, was born in Sciota County, Ohio, October 14, 1834, being the son of John M. and Lydia Fullerton, nee Kittle, both Virginians by birth. William spent his boyhood days on a farm and received a common school education in his native county. In 1856 he came to Missouri and settled in Holt County, near where he now resides. There he lived for nineteen years, after which he removed to Atchison County, locating on his present place, on the county line, in the fall of 1875. He has eighty acres of land, all improved, with a good house and a bearing orchard of 240 apple, 400 peach, 100 small budded trees, besides other varieties of fruit. This locality he has made his home for twenty-six years and is well known by all the settlers. December 27, 1857, Mr. Fullerton was married in Holt County, to Miss Martha Thorp, who was born in Pike County, April 2, 1836, and a daughter of John Thorp. Mr. and Mrs. F. have four children: Sophia K., born April 3, 1861; George G., born February 20, 1863; Lucy J., born December 18, 1868; John W., born January 7, 1872. Mr. Fullerton is independent in politics.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

FRANCIS A. FOSTER, undertaker and wood carver, was born in Amelia County, Virginia, February 19, 1834. His father, Gideon Foster, was born in Charlotte County, Virginia. He died in the year 1849. His mother, formerly Sally Presize, was born in Prince Edwards County, Virginia, and died in 1841. Their family consisted of seven boys and one girl, F.A. being the fourth child. After his father’s death, in the year 1849, he went to Brunswick County, Virginia, and from that time dependent on his own resources for his living. He received a fair education, principally by self-application, and when nineteen years of age he learned the carriage maker’s trade, which he followed till the breaking out of the war, at that time having a large coach and carriage manufactory. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate service, Company D, Eighteenth Virginia Infantry, the last year acting as steward in a hospital at Richmond. After the close of the war he returned to Brunswick County, and worked at his trade till March, 1868, when he came to Atchison County, Missouri, and located at Milton. February 4, 1874, Mr. Foster settled in Rock Port. Since coming to the county, he has been engaged in his present business, and has done much excellent work. He is a member of the North Star Lodge No. 157, A.F. and A.M. He has been twice married; first, February 18, 1867, to Miss Lusett J. Giannini, a daughter of an Italian. She was born in Richmond, Virginia, in the year 1844, and died in 1870. They had one child, now deceased. Mr. F. was again married, August 13, 1874, to Miss Bettie A. Williams, who was born in Lafayette County, Missouri, in the year 1850. Her father, Noah Williams, was a native of North Carolina, and her mother, formerly Mary Day, of Tennessee. Mr. F. is a member of the Baptist Church, and Mrs. F. of the Christian Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ANDREW FOX, farmer, section 35, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Lancaster County, October 27, 1832. His father, John Fox, was a native of Germany, and his mother, whose maiden name was Lear Zimmerman, was also born in Pennsylvania. They had a family of fifteen children. When John was but a small child his parents moved to Shelby County, Indiana, where he was reared and educated, living mostly on a farm. He resided in Indiana till 1861, when he came to Atchison County, Missouri, where he has since continued to dwell. He now has a valuable farm of 110 acres. Mr. Fox was married April 1, 1858, to Miss Mary C. Yager, who was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, January 9, 1842. When about ten years of age her parents moved to Shelby County, Indiana. Her father, George Yager, was a native of Pennsylvania, as was also her mother, formerly Barbara Carpenter. They had a family of ten children. Mr. Fox’s family consists of nine children, four of whom are living: George W., Mahala, Emeline and William H. His farm is well improved and is in possession of a successful agriculturist.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE FREIHOFER, lumber dealer, was born in Germany, May 8, 1828, and was reared in his native country. His father being a cloth manufacturer, the son also followed that occupation. In 1852 he came to America, landing at New York, after which he was stationed in Connecticut and Massachusetts for three years, working in a woolen mill. He then went to Wisconsin, where he obtained employment on a farm for one year, subsequently traveling for one year over different states. He finally became located near Galena, Illinois, where he lived till 1861, at which date he enlisted in Company F, Twelfth Illinois Infantry, remaining in service three years. He participated in many important battles, and after he was mustered out he went to St. Joseph. Here Mr. Freihofer was engaged in various branches of business till 1869, when he came to Rock Port, and since 1870 he has been dealing in lumber. He was married August 14, 1866, to Miss Eliza Heperli. She was born in Switzerland in August, 1842. They have one child: Frank.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Return to

Atchison County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.