Welcome to
Atchison County
Missouri


Biographies
" J "

SAMUEL P. JEWELL, is among the prominent business men of Fairfax, of the firm of Zook, Jewell & Emmert. He was born in Union County, Ohio, March 8, 1840, and is the son of Johnson and Martha J. (Sketo) Jewell. The youth of the subject of this sketch was spent on a farm and in attending the common schools. When in his nineteenth year he came to Missouri and engaged in the stock business in Cooper County, from whence he removed to Clinton, Illinois, where he continued the stock business one year. In July, 1861, he enlisted in the Forty-first Illinois Infantry, and served for three years, being discharged at Springfield, Illinois, August 24, 1864. He participated in numerous engagements during his service, among which were the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, sieges of Corinth and Vicksburg, and at Atlanta. After the war Mr. J. returned to Missouri and located in Cooper County, where he resumed stock dealing. In 1868 he left there and moved to Holt County, locating at Oregon, where he was engaged in the mercantile business for about four years. In 1872 he settled in Mound City, where he continued in business until 1877, when he came to Milton, Atchison County. After following the same branch of trade here for five years, he moved to his present location. Mr. Jewell was married in Oregon, Missouri, March 24, 1870, to Miss Louisa Von Lunden, daughter of Charles Von Lunden. She died April 29, 1874. Mr. J. was again married November 26, 1878, to Miss Ida S. Curry, daughter of Isaac N. Curry. She was born August 23, 1860. Mr. Jewell has three children – a son, Charles R., by his first marriage, and Wilson Curry Jewell and Grace G. They are members of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and Mr. J. belongs to the Masonic and I.O.O.F. lodges.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHNSON & SMITH, dealers in and manufacturers of harness, boots and shoes. This firm is composed of James B. Johnson and Edward C. Smith. The former member of the firm was born in Huntington County, Indiana, August 11, 1845. His father, William G. Johnson, was a native of New York, and his mother, formerly Mary L. Delvin, of Virginia. In 1853 they moved to LaGro, Wabash County, Indiana, and, in 1858, to Wabash of the same county. In April, 1864, Mr. J. enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Sixty-seventh Indiana Infantry, and at the close of the war was mustered out at Indianapolis. Previous to the war he learned the harness makers’ trade in Wabash, to which place he returned, remaining there till 1867, when he went to Kinderhook, Illinois. In 1870 he came to Atchison County and located in Phelps, where he began in his present business, and in 1871, he came to Rock Port, carrying on business in both towns. In 1874 he was elected, by the Republican party, as treasurer of Atchison County, and was re-elected in 1876, discharging his official duties with scrupulous care and fidelity. He is a member of North Star Lodge No. 157, A.F. and A.M. Mr. Johnson was married November 13, 1872, to Miss Nancy Gray, who was born in Knox County, Illinois, May 4, 1856. They have two children, Charlie and Oscar. Edward C. Smith, the junior partner of the firm, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, August 15, 1846. His father, David Smith, was a native of New Jersey, and his mother, Hannah Shepherd, came originally from Ohio. When Edward was but a child his parents moved to Miami County, Indiana, where he lived till 1857, then becoming a resident of Henry County, Iowa. He was educated at Mount Pleasant, in that county, and while there learned the shoemaker’s trade. In 1863 he went to Andrew County, Missouri, and, in the spring of 1864, he enlisted in Company E, Thirty-ninth Missouri, in the Federal army, and remained in service till the close of the war, after which time he went to Beny, Illinois. There he was engaged in working at his trade, and also in Kinderhook till 1868, when he came to Missouri. In August, following, he began work for the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad Company, on the line of the western division. In January, 1871, he located in Phelps City, and became a member of the present firm. In 1879 he located at Rock Port, carrying on business in both places till that date. He is a member of North Star Lodge No. 157, A.F. and A.M., and of North West Lodge No. 134, A.O.U.W. Mr. Smith was married March 11, 1873, to Miss Nannie A. Templeton. She was born in Atchison County, Missouri, March 11, 1853. They have three children: David M., Ward and Kate.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

EZRA D. JOHNSON, farmer and stock raiser, section 29, a leading man in this locality, was born in Cayuga County, New York, October 4, 1833. His parents, David H. and Maria (Fish) Johnson, were both natives of York State. Ezra was the third in a family of eight children. He spent his boyhood days on the farm, and received an education in the neighborhood schools. In 1850, he accompanied his parents to Steuben County, New York, where he remained for four years. In 1854, he went to Barry County, Michigan, and commenced to work at the carpenter’s trade, which he followed in the state for some fourteen years. In 1869, he came to Atchison County, Missouri, and settled where he now resides. He has improved a fine farm, and owns 280 acres of good land, well cultivated. He has a comfortable residence, a good orchard, etc. A new mail route was established in the spring of 1871, between Maryville and Rock Port. Mr. Johnson was appointed postmaster on the 10th of May, 1871, and the office was called Homer Postoffice. He filled the position ten years, or until the route was abandoned. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also belongs to Industry Lodge No. 220, A.O.U.W., of which he holds the position of Receiver. Mr. Johnson was married July 4, 1862, to Miss Frances Drake, a native of Catskill County, New York, born May 20, 1836. She is a daughter of Ransom and Lurette Drake. By this union they had one child, Herbert, now deceased. They are members of the M.E. Church.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE JOHNSTON, a native of Porter County, Indiana, was born January 9, 1836. Jesse Johnston, his father, was born in Virginia, but was reared in Ohio. His mother’s maiden name was Rebecca Pickett. In the winter of 1856 our subject came to Missouri, then being but twenty years of age, and stopped one winter in Holt County, coming to Atchison County in the spring of 1857. He was an early settler here and has since been a resident of the county. Mr. J. was married in Atchison County, Missouri, January 9, 1859, to Miss Mary J. Hurst, daughter of James Hurst. She was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, October 6, 1840. Mr. and Mrs. Johnston have two children living: Lemon D., born November 10, 1859, and Walter C., born August 19, 1873. One child, Ellsworth, who was born November 14, 1867, died September 26, 1875. After his marriage, Mr. J. settled in Clark Township, and, in February, 1873, moved upon his present farm. He owns seventy-three acres of land, with thirty-eight acres in his home place, which is well improved with a fair house, excellent barn and young orchard of 325 apple trees. He resides on section 2, township 63, range 41. Mr. Johnston is a member of the Methodist Church. He belongs to the Masonic order.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

DR. ISAAC BARTON JONES, the subject of this sketch, was born in Greene County, East Tennessee, July 18, 1834. He commenced to receive his education in the common schools and completed it at the Tasculum College, in Tennessee. In 1858 he began the study of medicine with Dr. Young, of Greenville, Tennessee, with whom he studied and practiced for three years and a half, attending medical lectures at the University of Nashville. Before the close of the term the University was discontinued on account of the war, and he failed, as did all the students, to graduate. In 1862 he came to Missouri and settled in the then flourishing village of Sonora, in this county, where he was soon in possession of a lucrative practice, which has steadily increased until now he is the oldest experienced physician of this part of the county, and to a large extent has the confidence of the community. Being among the oldest practitioners here, he is one of the most successful. He married Miss Drucilla E. Hill, daughter of H.S. Hill, Esq., in 1867. They have one child living, Vernon Wayne, born November 15, 1881. They have living with them Emma Keele, a niece of Mrs. Jones, whom they took while an infant and have cared for and educated her. She is now an interesting young lady of sixteen years. They lost two children in infancy. In politics the doctor is a Democrat, and in his religious views a Cumberland Presbyterian. He is a member of the Masonic order and belongs to the old Sonora Lodge. He has been Sunday School superintendent here for seventeen years, and is one of the most active Sunday School workers in the county and a zealous Christian man. He carries his religion into his everyday business and acts it out in his everyday life. When he came to Sonora he had no means except his profession. He has been kind of the poor and accommodating to all, and his life work has been a financial success. When Sonora became depopulated and this city was built on its ruins with a railroad running through it, he moved here and built a fine residence. He has done much toward the erection of a fine Presbyterian Church, and has assisted the Methodists in building their house of worship.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN D. JONES, section 32, a native of Bath County, Kentucky, was born September 3, 1825, and was the son of James F. Jones, of Fleming County, Kentucky, who was married to Elizabeth Stephens, a native of Bath County, that state. John D. spent his youth on a farm and attended the common schools, where he received a fair education, though the greater part of his knowledge has been obtained in later years by self-application. Mr. Jones was married in Bath County, Kentucky, October 27, 1846, to Martha Adkins, daughter of Eber Adkins. She was born in Fleming County, August 26, 1828. In 1847 Mr. Jones moved to Randolph County, Indiana, where he was engaged in farming and teaching until 1868, when he came to Andrew County, Missouri. During the winter of 1868-’69 he taught school, and, in the summer of the latter year he followed agricultural pursuits. In the fall of 1869 Holt County became his home, where he taught school near Mound City the succeeding winter. For three years his time was occupied in teaching during the winter months and farming in the summer season. In 1872 he came to his present place in this county. The farm as well as the greater portion of this part of country was nearly all unimproved. Mr. Jones now owns 140 acres of valuable land, all under cultivation, with 110 apple and 300 peach trees, etc., on the place. In the fall of 1876 he was elected justice of the peace of Dale Township, which position he has continued to fill most acceptably for six years. Politically he is a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have had eight children, of whom seven are living: Susan E., born October 22, 1847; James I., born October 19, 1849; Eber A., born January 22, 1852; William F., born March 10, 1857; Orlando M., born January 20, 1860; Mary L., born September 20, 1862, and Francis M., born April 9, 1869. Mr. J. belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Return to

Atchison County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.