Welcome to
Barton County
Missouri

Golden Gate Herald

The Golden Gate Herald was first established in 1881, by J. A. Zook, as the Golden City News, but was run only a few weeks when it was discontinued. The plant was afterward purchased by Thomas Galliger, who changed the name to the Herald. After running it awhile Mr. Galliger transferred it to J. H. Heath, and he in turn transferred it to T. G. Robison, who is running it at the present time. It is published every Thursday, and is a five column quarto, with a circulation of 750. T. G. Robison, the editor, is a native of Piatt County, ILL., and a son of William C. and Catherine (Dresback) Robison, natives of Ohio. The family came to Missouri in 1871, settling in Golden City Town ship, where the father bought a farm, and, with the help of his children, improved it. Here T. G. Robison was reared, and here he received a fair education in the common schools, but later took a four years' course at Lane University, at Lecompton, Kan., graduating in 1885. He then engaged in the newspaper business, established the Lecompton Monitor, which he ran one year, after which he transferred it to Little River, Rice County, Kan., and ran it at that place over two years. He then sold out, and went to Garnett, Kan., where he engaged in the job depart ment of the Garnett Eagle for a time, and then came to this place, where he is successfully running the Herald. Mr. Robison was married December 20, 1885, to Miss Olive A. Watson, a native of Indiana, who bore him two children: Albert Oliver and Thomas W. He is a member of the United Brethren Church.
[Source: History of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade, and Barton County Missouri,Goodspeed Publishing, 1889. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]

 

Return to

Barton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.