Welcome to
Bates County

~ D ~


G.W. DANIEL, a prominent farmer and stockman of Lone Oak township, has been identified with Bates county practically all his life. Mr. Daniel is a native of Missouri. He was born in Osage county, May 24, 1852, a son of John and Martha (Cruse) Daniel. The father was a native of Virginia, and the mother of Kentucky. They settled in Osage county, Missouri, at an early date, coming there with their respective parents. They were married in Osage county, and in 1855, came to Bates county, settling in Lone Oak township.
The Daniel family resided in this township until Order No. 11 went into effect, when they removed to Pettis county. As a boy, G.W. Daniel has a distinct recollection of many of the stirring events that took place in this section during the days of the border war, both before the Civil War and after it was officially closed. He saw much of the activity of the "bushwhackers,jayhawkers, and redleg during those days. Raiding parties from both sides frequently stopped at his father's place and obtained food. It was not an uncommon thing to hear shooting and fighting going on in the vicinity almost any night. The Kansas raiders frequently drove off cattle, burned houses and destroyed fences and other property.
Mr. Daniel's farm is located on a slight elevation three and one-fourth miles south of Butler. During the Civil War times, this place was known as “Spy Mound.  It got its name from the fact that bushwhacker  pickets were frequently stationed here to watch for the approach of Kansas raiders in the vicinity of Butler. Butler could be distinctly seen from this point before the timber between here and Butler had grown to its present proportions.
In the early part of the war, Butler was a Federal military post and Mr. Daniel recalls seeing soldiers there. He also remembers the battle of Brushy Mound, where so many negroes, who had come from Kansas to subdue the South, were killed. Mr. Daniel says after the first clash in that engagement some of the negroes, who could outrun bullets, escaped back into Kansas.
The Daniel family returned to their home in Lone Oak township in the spring of 1866 and proceeded to rebuild their home and improve the farm. Political trouble continued in the neighborhood for some time afterward. Elisha Daniel, an uncle of G.W., was murdered in his home in that vicinity after the war, and the shooting at Willowbranch church took place, in which Lindsey, Wines, and Hart were shot. In those days, people went to church heavily armed, expecting trouble, and, frequently, were not disappointed.
John Daniel, the father of G.W., followed farming in Lone Oak township until he retired. He died in 1904, his wife having passed away in 1898.
G.W. Daniel was one of a family of ten children, five of whom are living, as follow: Leander, Cedar county, Missouri; G.W., the subject of this sketch; Isaac, Lone Oak township, Bates county; Sarah, married John Silvers, Winfield, Kansas; and Louisa, married Tom Taylor, Moscow, Idaho. Mr. Daniel received his education in the public schools, such as they were, in the pioneer days of Bates county. He attended school in an old log school house, which was located near his home in Lone Oak township. He began life as a farmer and has successfully been engaged in agricultural pursuits up to the present time. He has a fine farm of one hundred twenty acres, located three and one-fourth miles south of Butler. He is quite extensively engaged in raising cattle, as well as general farming, and is recognized as one of the progressive agriculturists of Bates county.
Mr. Daniel was united in marriage in 1876, with Miss Harriet Marsteller, a native of LaPorte, Indiana, a daughter of Randolph and Mary (Wright) Marsteller, the former, a native of Virginia and the latter, of Ohio. Mrs. Daniel came to Bates county, Missouri, in 1857. They settled in Mount Pleasant township, where the parents spent the remainder of their lives. The father died in 1882, and the mother departed this life in 1914. During the Civil War, when Order No. 11 was issued, the Marsteller family went to Pettis county, where they remained until the close of the war.
To Mr. and Mrs. Daniel have been born three children: Myrtie, married L.G. Thomas, Lone Oak township; George R., Twin Falls, Idaho; and Mae, married Robert Thomas, Kimberly, Idaho.
Mr. Daniel is a Democrat. Since boyhood, he has been identified with that party. He has always taken an active interest in the upbuilding and betterment of public schools and served on the local school board for twenty years. He is a member of the Church of Christ.
Many changes have taken place in Bates county since Mr. Daniel came here, sixty-three years ago. When he was a boy, herds of deer were not an uncommon sight, and his father frequently killed deer and wild turkeys. At first, all the lumber used by the pioneers was hauled from Pleasant Hill.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler

JAMES WILLIAM DARBY, of Butler, a retired agriculturist of Walnut township, Bates county, ex-justice of the peace of Walnut township, a former prosperous grain merchant of Foster, Missouri, is one of Missouri’s native sons. Mr. Darby was born in 1853 in St. Louis county, Missouri, a son of Andrew and Nancy (King) Darby. Andrew W. Darby was born in North Carolina, March 21, 1814, a member of one of the leading colonial families of the South. He came to Missouri with his father in 1820. The senior Darby died and is buried in St. Louis county, Missouri. Andrew W. Darby and Mrs. Darby, a native of St. Louis county, Missouri, and a member of one of the oldest families of this state, moved from St. Louis county to Henry county in 1877 and there resided on a farm adjoining Brownington the remainder of their lives. They were the parents of the following children: Lavenia, who died in Bates county, Missouri, in 1909 and is buried in the cemetery at Brownington; J.T., who died at Colorado Springs, Colorado, about 1912 and his remains were interred in a cemetery at that place; Mary A., the wife of Mr. Duvall, of Clinton, Missouri; James W., the subject of this review; Miss Pinkey King, of Clinton, Missouri; and Mrs. Sallie E. Stevens, Clinton, Missouri. The mother died in 1890 and four years later she was joined in death by her husband, in 1894. The remains of both mother and father were laid to rest in the cemetery at Brownington, Missouri.
James William Darby obtained his education in private schools in St. Louis county, Missouri, and later attended the Manchester Parochial School. He remained at home with his parents until he was twenty-seven years of age and then began farming independently in Bates county, Missouri, to which county he came in 1880. Mr. Darby purchased at that time one hundred twenty acres of land and resided on it for sixteen years, when he retired from the active pursuits of agriculture, rented his country place, and moved to Foster, Missouri, where he entered the grain business in connection with the Cannon Elevator Company. While a resident of Foster, Mr. Darby was elected justice of the peace of Walnut township, a position which he capably filled for seventeen years. In March, 1915, he removed to Butler and has since been one of the valued residents of this city. In 1892, he opened a coal mine on his farm in Walnut township, a vein three feet in thickness which is still being operated.
The marriage of James William Darby and Jennie Jennings, of Bates county, Missouri, was solemnized in 1880. Mrs. Darby died in 1909. January 24, 1916, Mr. Darby and Mattie Newkirk, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Oliver and Eliza Newkirk, of Tazewell county, Illinois, were united in marriage. The Newkirks came to Missouri from Illinois in 1882 and settled in Walnut township, where both the father and mother later died and their remains are now buried. Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Newkirk were the parents of twelve children, four of whom are now living: John, Foster, Missouri; Mrs. Rosa Gardner, Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Mrs. Sadie Izatt, Pittsburg, Kansas; and Mrs. James William Darby, the wife of the subject of this review; and those deceased are Allie and Dema and six children who died in infancy.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

DAVID ALBAUGH DE ARMOND was born in Blair county, Pennsylvania, on the 18th day of March, 1844. He was the oldest of a family of six children. His grandfather, Michael De Armond, was of Irish stock and a soldier in the Revolutionary War, serving under Washington at Valley Forge. His father, James De Armond, was a man of limited education, but good natural ability, with an intense desire for his sons to receive a good education and while he was unable to help them greatly, the four who grew to manhood were all of the learned professions, two lawyers, one doctor, and one educator. His father was born in 1790 but did not marry until the past the age of fifty when he married Catherine Albaugh, the youngest of a family of thirteen children. She was of Pennsylvania Dutch stock. James De Armond settled upon a farm in Blair county, Pa., where his children were born, and engaged in farming, being also an engineer upon the present Pennsylvania railroad system in its early days. Both James and Catherine De Armond lived to a great age, he dying at Greenfield, Missouri, at ninety-five and she at Butler, Missouri at ninety.
David De Armond spent his childhood and early manhood on a hilly, rocky farm at the foot of the Allegheny mountains, attending the local schools and afterwards Dickinson Seminary. He secured the means to complete his education by teaching a part of each year. His parents moved to Davenport, Iowa, in 1866, where David De Armond studied law in the office of Lane & Day, being admitted to the practice in 1867. Seeking a place to locate for the practice of his profession he was advised to change his politics and go to western Iowa. His party principles with him were not a matter of convenience, his family having been Democrats from the organization of the party, and he turned his eyes toward Missouri, a state then not yet recovered from the effects of the Civil War. He finally settled upon Greenfield in Dade county, where he located in 1869.
He soon began to build up a law practice. He was there married to Alice M. Long, a daughter of Arch M. Long, one of the early families in that section, and continued to live in Greenfield until 1883. In 1878, he was nominated for the state senate and although the district was normally Republican he was elected and served four years, declining a renomination. In the state senate he quickly took high rank and gained the first of that state-wide reputation he afterward enjoyed. In 1883, he moved to Rich Hill, then enjoying great prosperity as a mining center and practiced law with W.T. Marsh under the firm name of De Armond & Marsh. In 1884, he moved to Butler, where he made his home and met his tragic death. He formed a law partnership with Thomas J. Smith, under the firm name of De Armond & Smith.
In 1884, he was Democratic elector and voted for Grover Cleveland. In 1885 he was elected a member of the supreme court commission, which had been provided by the Legislature to clear up the docket of the court. The manner of his election was a high testimonial to his legal ability. The court had been balloting for some time to fill the place of a member of the commission who had died, without being able to agree upon a commissioner. Mr. De Armond was not a candidate but appearing before the court to argue a case in which he was an attorney his presentation of his case so impressed the members of the court that he was elected to the vacancy that evening. The commission expired by limitation soon after. Mr. De Armond was also one of the three attorneys employed by the state who successfully prosecuted the claim of the state against the Hannibal & St. Joe railroad for several millions of dollars of state aid in building that road.
In 1886, he was elected to the circuit bench in this judicial district, having no opposition for the nomination. His inclinations especially fitted him for the bench and he filled the position with marked ability. His love of the law and his temperament of mind were best suited to a judicial position and during his service in Congress he sometimes regretted having left the bench.
In 1890, with the announcement of Congressman Stone that he would not be a candidate for renomination to Congress, one of the greatest contests in the history of Missouri Democratic politics arose. Charles H. Morgan, Grantley of St. Clair, Joshua Ladue of Henry, Hill of Jasper, Judge Givens of Cass and De Armond of Bates all entered the race, the announcement of Judge De Armond being made only a few weeks before the convention which met in Butler. At the end of three days Judge De Armond was nominated over Morgan and entered upon his career in Congress, to which he was re-elected for nine terms without opposition for nomination in his party.
In Congress, Judge De Armond gradually forged to the front until at his death he was a member of the Rules Committee of the House of Representatives and the senior Democratic member of the Judiciary Committee. As a debater he had few equals during his service and his clear reasoning and unswerving honesty of purpose won him a foremost place in the national assembly. While he was a Democrat from principle he did not hesitate to vote with the opposite party upon a number of questions which arose in Congress nor was his action in so doing ever criticized by the people of his district.
On two occasions, at least, an effort was made by leaders in state politics to induce him to enter the race for governor, which he declined to do.
In public life Judge De Armond was a man of greatest modesty, making no effort to advertise himself or his doings and having none of the traditional arts and tricks of the politician. His standing in the district he served so long was due to the fact that his supporters knew he had but one desire and that was to faithfully and honestly serve their interests. But while modest as to himself, in course of conduct and in debate he was fearless and outspoken and as a judge avoided no part of his duty and in debate had a gift of irony and satire that made few opponents willing to meet him.
His family consisted of four children all of whom are still living. James A. De Armond, married to Nancy Lee Bell of Liberty, Missouri, formerly adjutant-general of Missouri, and at present mayor of Butler. Mrs. Orville D. Standsbury of Okmulgee, Oklahoma. Col. Edward H. De Armond, married Miss Toots Hannah, and at present is in France as chief of staff of the Thirty-second Division of the National Army. Major George W. De Armond, married Miss Marguerite De Armond, and at present is in France with the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps. Both Edward and George, the younger sons, are graduates of West Point.
Judge De Armond in his family life was a man of the greatest affection and generosity. His children were given every advantage possible and in his grandchildren he found his greatest pleasure during the recesses of Congress. David A. De Armond, Jr., his oldest grandson, aged seven, was with him almost constantly during the last summer of his life and with him occupied a sleeping porch at night at Judge De Armond's residence in Butler.
On the night of November 22, 1909, just a few days before he was to return to his duties in Washington, after spending the evening with his family, Judge De Armond and this little grandson retired to their cots upon the sleeping porch. Some hours after midnight the house was discovered on fire, the flames eating down through the roof and inside of the house just back of the door which opened onto the sleeping porch. Mrs. De Armond and their daughter, who were sleeping inside the house, barely escaped. His daughter, who slept near a window opening toward the porch heard the frightened child's cry."Get me out of here, granddaddy; get me out of here," and the answer of her father, calmly, as he always quieted the children's fears, "Don't be scared, little son; granddaddy will get you out." When the door was opened it is supposed that they inhaled the flames and died instantly, for there was no other sound.
The remains of grandson and grandfather were recovered from the ruins and interred in Oak Hill cemetery. Friends from all parts of the district, state, and nation, were present at the funeral services held in the Methodist church, while the Masonic service at the grave was conducted by Ex-Governor Dockery. One of the most touching feature of the sad occasion was the pall-bearers, who were composed of gray-headed men from among Judge De Armond’s friends and associates of many years, by the side of each of whom walked a little boy, the seven-year-old playmates and school-fellows of his little grandson.
The author of this book knew Judge De Armond from the time he came to Rich Hill in 1883, down to the date of his death as above described. He practiced law with him at the bar and before him when he was elevated to the circuit bench. He was a good lawyer and a just judge. No man at the Bates county bar was more adroit and effective before a jury. No man with business in his court ever had reason to complain of unfair treatment; and it may be truthfully said he looked beyond the attorney to the client in the administration of justice. There was no favoritism from the bench. The rich and the poor looked alike to him, and only the issues involved were tried in his court. Courteous to the bar, he was firm in discipline, and sought only justice between litigants.
Later, when he became the representative in Congress of and for the Sixth Missouri District by long and faithful service, he gave the district a standing in Washington it never enjoyed before; and while not the leader of the minority in the Lower House, he was for years recognized by the Democratic party and the country as the actual leader of his party in that body of distinguished Democrats. Clean and fearless, honest and faithful, no one even among the Republicans in Congress or in his home district ever hinted at graft in his public service.
Personally, Judge De Armond was a quiet, unassuming gentleman, companionable and cordial among his friends and his neighbors generally; but he was not a good mixer. Many people thought him too reserved and cold in his demeanor; but this feeling prevailed only among those who did not know him at home and well. He held his place in the respect and confidence of our people largely by force of his intellectual power. As a public speaker he did not resort to tricks or devices to stir the crowds; but he commanded attention by his clear, logical, decisive periods; and at times he reached the heights of real eloquence. He was a wonderful master of the English language; and no man in all the country could make an extempore speech which needed less editing in the newspaper office. We often listened to him in wonder that a man could so phrase his speech while on his feet before an audience that not the dotting of an i nor the crossing of a t would be required if it went to the printer. He never repeated, never hesitated for the right word, and never stumbled. In this accomplishment he was without a peer among the public speakers in the country. His service in Congress was an honor to the Sixth district, and when he perished untimely in the flames of his own home he left many friends and no personal enemies. Judge De Armond was one of the really great men of his era in public life.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JAMES A. DE ARMOND – Born at Greenfield, Missouri, November 28, 1873, oldest son of Judge David A. De Armond.  Educated in common schools and Butler high school; Wentworth Military Academy, Lexington, Missouri; Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Virginia; Missouri State University, Columbia, Missouri. Admitted to the bar at Butler in 1901. Practiced law in Butler until 1904, when he purchased the Bates County Democrat, daily and weekly, and owned and conducted the same until 1910. In 1912 resumed the practice of law and is now located at Butler. Held the office of city attorney of Butler by appointment and election in 1903 and 1904. Was tendered the appointment of adjutant-general of Missouri by Governor Folk in 1905, although not a candidate for that or any other appointment from the governor of whom he had been an active supporter. Held the office until expiration of his term in 1909. Elected mayor of Butler in 1918 without opposition. Active in military affairs from the age of seventeen when he joined the National Guard as a private. Retired as brigadier-general in 1909. Served in the Spanish-American War as first lieutenant and captain in Company B, Second Missouri Infantry. Married in 1901 to Nancy Lee Bell of Liberty, Missouri. Five children born to marriage: David A., Jr., who lost his life in a fire in 1909 together with his grandfather, Congressman David A. De Armond; Alice Irene; Ann Landis; James A., Jr.; and Helen. Member of Masonic and Odd Fellow lodges.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

LEONARD DAVIS, farmer and stockman, Hudson township, was born in Hudson township in 1879. He is a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Ford) Davis, the former of whom was born in Bates county and resided here all of his days. Elizabeth (Ford) Davis was a native of Boone county, Missouri. Both of Leonard Davis parents are deceased, his father having died February 20, 1918, at the age of seventy-three years. Robert Davis was a veteran of the Civil War, Union Army, and reared a family of seven children as follow: Mrs. Sarah Neff, Dodge City, Kansas; Mrs. Charles Zwahlen, Passaic, Missouri; Leonard, subject of this review; Mrs. Emma Gregg, Hudson township; Mrs. William Earsom, Pleasant Gap township; Mrs. Nora Davis, Rio Frio, Texas; Peter Davis, a farmer of Hudson township.
The early education of Leonard Davis was obtained in the Rich Valley school. He lived with his parents and farmed on the home place of the family until 1910, when he purchased his present farm of 120 acres from the family of Bernard Brown, a Bates county pioneer. Mr. Davis has thirteen and a third acres of timber land in addition. The Davis farm is nicely located seven miles southwest of Appleton City and eight miles northwest of Rockville. This farm is a fertile and productive tract and Mr. Davis is engaged in general farming and the raising of cattle and hogs for the market.
On December 22, 1915, Mr. Davis was united in marriage at Clinton, Missouri, with Miss Maude Gabriel, a daughter of Earl and Jennie (Andrews) Gabriel, natives of Moniteau county, Missouri, who were parents of the following children: Mrs. Maude Davis, of this review; Dean, now at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station near Chicago; Ernest, Hudson township; Mrs. Ruth, wife of Fayette Keene, Spruce, Missouri; Ora, King, Carroll, Lena, Pauline, LeRoy, Rita, at home with their parents on the home place in Hudson township.
Mr. and Mrs. Davis have a son, Robert Dean Davis, born September 14, 1916. Mr. Davis is independent in his political views and votes accordingly. He is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Rockville, Missouri, as was his father before him.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WATT BURRESS DAWSON, prosecuting attorney of Bates county, was born in Wayne county, Ohio, March 18, 1874. He is a son of Eugene B. and Sarah (Moses) Dawson, the former of whom was a native of the Western Reserve section of Ohio and the latter a native of Massachusetts. Both parents of Watt B. Dawson were of old New England stock. Eugene B. Dawson was reared to manhood in his native state and in 1879 went to Trego county in western Kansas and homesteaded a tract of land. He is said to have sown the first wheat in that section of Kansas, taking the wheat with him from Ohio. After some years of residence there he went to Rich Hill, Missouri and rented land in that neighborhood for the first season. In the spring of 1883 he drove a herd of cattle to Linn and Anderson counties, Kansas, and in 1889 settled on a quarter section of land in Bates county, near Hume, in Howard township. He developed his farm and when old age came upon him he retired to a home in Hume where his death occurred in 1904. His remains are interred in the Hume cemetery. Mrs. Dawson resides at Hume and is aged eighty-two years. Mr. and Mrs. Eugene B. Dawson were parents of nine children, as follow: Dr. N.B. Dawson, Sterling, Ohio; Lydia E., at home with her mother; Watt B., subject of this review; Mrs. Mima C. Hofses, Parsons, Kansas; G.P. Dawson, died at Pleasanton, Kansas; Edward Marion, died at Rich Hill, aged twenty-one years; Wallace W., died at Hume, aged thirty-one years; Thomas, died in Ohio when eight years old; and Mary, died in Ohio at the age of four years.
After graduating from the Hume, Missouri, High School in 1894, Watt B. Dawson taught school in Bates county for five years from 1894 to 1899, inclusive. He then entered the Missouri State University at Columbia and pursued a literary and law course, graduating therefrom in the class of 1901. Following his graduation from law school he taught for another year and began the practice of his profession at Rich Hill. In the fall election of 1905 he was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney of Bates county, being the first attorney outside of the county seat to be elected to that county office. It had been the custom or habit to elect a county seat attorney to the office previous to the election of Mr. Dawson, a precedent thus being established. He carried every township in the county at the primaries excepting West Point. Mr. Dawson served three terms as prosecuting attorney and established a reputation as a fearless and able prosecutor. He was re-elected to the office in the fall of 1916 and is the present incumbent of the office. Since his election to the prosecutors office he has made his residence in Butler and is associated in the practice of law with Mr. J.A. Silvers.
Mr. Dawson was married July 1, 1902 to Miss Emma N. White, a daughter of Mrs. Aramintha White of Rich Hill. Mrs. Dawsons father died when she was an infant. Mr. and Mrs. Dawson have two children: Mildred, and Donald.
A legal practitioner of excellent judgment, scholarly attainments, and profound knowledge of the law, and an official of known integrity, Mr. Dawson has achieved a place for himself as one of the most successful practicing attorneys in the county. He has always been a strong advocate of temperance and has always stood for strict law enforcement, having at various times used the powers of his office to compel the enforcement of the temperance and prohibition laws which govern the community. Mr. Dawson is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Woodmen of the World, and the Knights of Pythias. He has served as a member of the board of trustees of the Baptist church for some time and both he and Mrs. Dawson take an active interest in church work.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

HON. CHARLES A. DENTON  A citizen's value to the state is usually measured by the accomplishment of a task which time alone proves to have been of value to his fellow-men. An individual who has originated and placed in practice a real reform, and has done something worthwhile which stands out as having proven to be of inestimable benefit to his fellow-men, is a man worthy of commendation and his place in history is secure for all time to come. To Judge Charles A. Denton, able attorney, jurist, former judge of the circuit court, and political leader of his party in Bates county, belongs the credit for the instigation of the present pardon board for the penal institutions of Missouri, a great and meritorious work which was inaugurated by him during his term of office as pardon attorney under the administration of Governor Herbert S. Hadley. In this great work, Judge Denton, while placing in actual practice his ideas of handling the problem of pardoning and paroling delinquents who had been condemned to punishment for transgressing the state laws, performed a service to mankind which years have proven to be of incalculable value and which gives him a place of honor as the doer of a public service.
Charles A. Denton was born on a farm in Adams county, near Quincy, Illinois, September 25, 1854. He is a son of Edmund and Jemima (Whitney) Denton, natives of Fleming county, Kentucky. Edmund P. Denton was born on April 1, 1832, and took up farming as his life vocation upon attaining young manhood. He removed to Illinois, where after residing for one year in Adams county, he made a permanent settlement in Hancock county. He became successful as a farmer and stockman, and was extensively engaged in breeding and dealing in fine livestock for a number of years. He became prominently identified with political and public affairs in Hancock county and served for fourteen years as postmaster of Hamilton, Illinois. He also filled the office of member of the board of county supervisors in Hancock county. His life was a long and useful one and he died, highly respected throughout Hancock county, in May, 1911. His wife, Jemima, was born December 24, 1832, and departed this life in June, 1889. Edmund and Jemima Denton were parents of eight children, of whom Charles A. is the eldest.
The early education of Judge C.A. Denton was obtained in the public schools of Hancock county, Illinois, following which he pursued a course in the Lutheran College at Carthage, Illinois, and the University of Illinois at Champaign. He entered the State University when twenty years of age and was self-supporting while obtaining his collegiate training. Illness, however, prevented the completion of his university course and in 1874, he went to Kentucky in the hope of regaining his health. While a resident of Kentucky he continued his studies under private instructors, and upon returning to his home state he took up the study of law in the law offices of George McCreary, James Hagerman, and Frank Hagerman, the former of whom became secretary of war under President Hayes. This firm was located in Keokuk, Iowa, and young Denton pursued his law studies in that city while teaching school in Hamilton, Illinois. Mr. Denton was admitted to the bar in 1880 and began the practice of his profession in Keokuk, Iowa, but his health again failing him he returned to the teaching profession for about two years. He came to Bates county in 1882 and practiced at Rich Hill, this county, for a period of six years. He then located in Butler, where for the past thirty years he has been a leader of the bar and prominent in business and financial circles. In 1886, he was a candidate for the office of prosecuting attorney of Bates county, and ran more than four hundred votes ahead of his ticket in the face of a normal Democratic majority of over one thousand votes. In 1892, he was again a candidate for the same office and was defeated by a very small margin. He served one term as city attorney of Butler and ably represented the interests of the city during his term. He was a candidate for the office of circuit judge in 1898 but was defeated. At the next election he was again a candidate for circuit judge and was successful, notwithstanding the fact that the Democratic majority that year was over one thousand votes. While serving on the bench, Judge Denton rendered many important decisions.
In May, 1911, he was appointed by Governor Hadley to the position of pardon attorney at Jefferson City. While filling this important position, Judge Denton performed the hardest and greatest task of his life. Prior to his appointment, the state of Missouri had followed no definite system of paroling and pardoning prisoners and wrongdoers. The work had been done in a haphazard and indifferent manner with indifferent results. Judge Denton was possessed of vision which enabled him to look far ahead and he mapped out a plan of handling the paroling and pardoning of the unfortunates whose cases would be called to his attention. With characteristic energy and far-seeing vision which enabled him to look ahead and foresee the need of a constructive system of handling the problem of granting paroles and pardons, he began at once to place his advanced ideas into actual practice. He inaugurated a system which was destined to become the forerunner of the present benevolent plan of reforming rather than further degrading those whose environments and the influence of the truly vicious element had caused to transgress the rules of society. The plan which he evolved and placed in actual operation during his term of office has resulted in the improvement of prison conditions and the bringing back to society, hundreds of men who had fallen from their places in the civic body and come under the ban of the state laws. During his term as pardon attorney, but thirty-two out of more than four hundred prisoners paroled were returned to prison. Judge Denton inaugurated the plan of public hearings of prisoners on their applications for executive clemency.
An extract from a commendatory letter written by former Governor Hadley to Governor F.D. Gardner on February 27, 1917, urging the appointment of Judge Denton to a membership on the board of prison management is appropriate at this point and shows conclusively the opinion which Governor Hadley held and still holds concerning Judge Dentons record:* * * You could not make a better appointment than Judge Denton. During the two and one-half years he served in the position of pardon attorney he established a most excellent system for the investigation and consideration of application for pardons and he showed a degree of common sense and justice in passing upon these applications. He is a man of fine personality and unquestioned integrity. He is that type of man who never has to establish his entire integrity in any official manner with which he may deal. That is unhesitatingly conceded by all who know him. In short, if I were asked to serve as governor again and considered accepting, I would insist as a condition that Judge Denton pass on all applications for pardon or parole. Very truly yours, H.S. Hadley.
Judge Denton served as a delegate to the Chicago convention in 1912 and was a supporter of Theodore Roosevelt in that convention. He was the candidate of the Republican party for supreme judge in 1912, having been placed upon the state ticket before the split had occurred in the ranks of the party. He has always been a firm adherent of Republican principles and no sacrifice has been too great for him to make when called upon by the members of his party.
The marriage of Judge C.A. Denton and Miss Emma Baldwin was consummated on October 2, 1879. Mrs. Denton is a daughter of C.W. and Mary (McPherson) Baldwin, the former of whom died in Butler in 1909, the latter having preceded him in death in the nineties. Four children were born to this marriage: Wesley, president of the People's Bank of Butler; Meda J., wife of R.F. Lisle; Doris B.; and Waldo, who died at the age of two and a half years. Judge Denton has always been a firm and consistent supporter of all measures and undertakings intended to advance the interests of his home city and Bates county along material, social, intellectual, and moral lines. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and the Modern Woodmen lodges.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.C. DENTON, who has a fine farm located in Mound township on the Jefferson Highway, seven miles north of Butler, and three miles south of Adrian, was born in Monroe county, Tennessee, in 1857. He is a son of William H. and Fathie Ann (Stephens) Denton, the former of whom was born in Tennessee and the latter a native of North Carolina. The Dentons came to Missouri in 1857 when the subject of this sketch was but six months old. They first located in Saline county, where they remained for one year and then removed to Johnson county, where they made a permanent location. The family lived in Johnson county during the dark days of the Civil War, and J.C. Denton remembers some of the sadness and hardships of that period. William H. Denton made his home on a farm eight miles south of Warrensburg and there spent the remainder of his life. He followed farming until 1885, when he engaged in the grocery business in Warrensburg until his retirement, and attained the great age of eighty-eight years before death called him. Three children of William H. Denton are living: John Denton, Columbia, Missouri; J.C., subject of this sketch; Richard, Parsons, Kansas.
J.C. Denton was reared in Johnson county and educated in the public schools. He followed farming in that county until 1886. He then came to Bates county and purchased his present homestead of eighty acres, which is well improved and yields him a comfortable living. Mr. Denton was married in 1882 to Florence Glazebrook, a daughter of James Glazebrook, an early settler in Missouri.
As a good citizen, Mr. Denton takes an active and influential interest in township and county affairs. He has held the office of school director of his district on several occasions and is allied with the Republican party in whose activities he takes a keen interest, being prominent in party councils. He is affiliated with the Woodmen of the World and is a member of the Baptist church.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WESLEY DENTON, the capable and obliging president of the Peoples Bank of Butler, Missouri, is one of Bates countys most enterprising citizens. Mr. Denton is a native of Illinois. He was born August 21, 1879, in Hamilton, son of Judge C.A. and Emma (Baldwin) Denton, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. The Dentons came from Illinois to Bates county, Missouri, in 1880, locating at Rich Hill, and eight years later in October, 1888, moved to Butler.
Mr. Denton, whose name introduces this review, obtained his elementary education in the public schools of Butler, Missouri. He is a graduate of the Butler High School in the class of 1898. After completing his high school course, Mr. Denton was employed as clerk in the postoffice at Butler, working under Postmaster A.O. Welton for seven months. On account of ill health, he was obliged to resign his position as clerk and later accepted a position, in the law office of Francesco & Clark, as stenographer, which he filled for six months and then left Butler to accept a position in Kansas City, Missouri, with the A.J. Gillispie Live Stock Commission Company in 1900. Returning to Butler, three years afterward, Mr. Denton entered the Farmers Bank of Bates County as bookkeeper. In August of the same year, 1903, he resigned his position with the Farmers Bank and entered the employ of the Missouri State Bank, as bookkeeper, and in a short time was promoted to the assistant cashiership of the bank. In 1908, J.R. Jenkins and he organized the Peoples Bank of Butler, Missouri, and Mr. Denton was elected cashier of the institution, serving in that capacity until January, 1918, when he was elected president. A sketch of the Peoples Bank of Butler, Missouri, is given in connection with the review of J.R. Jenkins, which will be found elsewhere in this volume. This financial institution, with which Mr. Denton is connected, has proven to be one of the solid enterprises of the community and has been an important factor in maintaining the financial credit and stability of Bates county. No small amount of the success of the enterprise is due to the indefatigable efforts and wise discrimination of Mr. Denton, whose capabilities have been demonstrated to a marked degree. His energy and tact have done much toward pushing the bank to the front in the banking circles of this section of the state.
November 25, 1911, Wesley Denton and Edith Lindsay were united in marriage. Mrs. Denton is a daughter of A. Lindsay and Alice (Wyatt) Lindsay, prominent residents of Butler. To Mr. and Mrs. Denton have been born two children: Alice and Ruth. Both Mr. and Mrs. Denton are members of the Presbyterian church of Butler and Mr. Denton is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Butler Lodge No. 254. He has also served as director of the Butler Commercial Club for several years.
The greater part of Mr. Denton's life has been spent in Bates county, and he has the interests of his community as well as his own in mind. His career has been one of great activity and has been crowned with a degree of success attained by those only who devote themselves tirelessly to their work. Mr. Denton is a man of earnest purpose and high ideals.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN DEVER, progressive, enterprising farmer and stockman, Mound township, was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, July 8, 1860 and was a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Wise) Dever, the former, a native of Ireland, and the latter, a native of Ohio. The family moved westward to Hancock county, Illinois, in 1868 and in that county the parents spent the remainder of their lives engaged in agricultural activities. Their remains are interred in Oakwood cemetery, Hamilton, Illinois. John Dever is one of five children born to his parents who grew to maturity, as follow: R.W., Macon county, Missouri; Thomas, Marshall county, Kansas; Mary C., wife of Robert Wise, Shelby county, Illinois; Gashium G., Shelby county, Illinois; and John, subject of this review.
Mr. Dever was reared in Hancock county, Illinois, and remained in his native state until 1899, when he came west to Linn county, Kansas, residing there on a farm for ten years. In 1909, he came to Bates county and invested in farm land in Mound township, and has since become prominently identified with the agricultural activities of this county. He is the owner of two hundred acres of land and is engaged in general farming and stock raising.
On December 28, 1882, the marriage of John Dever and Frances Anna Gayley was solemnized. Mrs. Dever was born in Woodford county, Illinois, July 4, 1859. No children of this marriage are living, but Mr. and Mrs. Dever have an adopted son, Elmer W., who is cultivating one of the Dever farms in Mound township.
The Republican party has always had the stanch support and allegiance of Mr. Dever but he is inclined to independence in local political affairs. He is affiliated fraternally with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge No. 13, Adrian, Missouri. He was identified with the Grange movement and was one of the organizers of the Farmers Club of the Adrian neighborhood, a movement which is the natural outcome and successor of the Grange. He is a member of the United Brethren church at Deer Creek, and is considered one of the leading and most progressive citizens of his neighborhood, always seeking to advance any movement which is intended for the betterment of conditions in the agricultural sections in which he has spent his life.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

W.H. DEWEESE, a widely and favorably-known farmer and stockman of Summit township, is a member of one of the worthy and pioneer families of Bates county. Mr. Deweese is one of the boys of yesterday of Bates county, as own product of Summit township. He was born March 19, 1859, at the Deweese homestead in Summit township, a son of William and Mary (Bruner) Deweese, natives of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Deweese came to Missouri in 1856 from Illinois, in which state they had first located when they moved from Kentucky, and settled on a tract of land, comprising four hundred acres, which Mr. Deweese entered from the government. During the Civil War, when Order Number 11 was issued, the Deweese family moved to Morgan and Moniteau counties, where they remained until the conflict had ended and then returned to Bates county to again take up their residence at their home place. They found only a portion of the homestead still standing. Mr. Deweese contracted a  heavy cold, which developed into pneumonia, while moving back home and from this he died in 1866. Interment was made in Glass cemetery in Summit township. Mrs. Deweese survived her husband until 1906, when she joined him in death. She died at the home of her son, W.H., and her remains were laid to rest in Elliott cemetery. William and Mary (Bruner) Deweese were the parents of the following children: David, of Lawrence county, Kansas; Catherine, the wife of James Rogers, Rockyford, Colorado; W.H., the subject of this review; Sallie, the wife of John Bristow, Pawnee county, Kansas; Isaac, a twin brother of Mrs. John Bristow, of Rockyford, Colorado. An uncle of the Deweese children, George W. Swink, donated the land on which Rockyford, Colorado is built.
In the district schools of Summit township, Bates county, Missouri, W.H. Deweese obtained a good common-school education. When he was seventeen years of age, he assumed charge of the home place, which he now owns. The forty acres of land on which the house stood where he was born have never been mortgaged. Mr. Deweese now owns two hundred acres of land, located on the Butler and Appleton City road, five miles from Butler. He has himself improved the place, building the residence in 1880 and two good barns. The Deweese stock farm is one of the best in Bates county, the land slopes to the south, is well watered and supplied with all facilities for handling stock efficiently. Mr. Deweese has given special attention to raising registered Shorthorn Durham steers, Poland China hogs, mules, and horses and he has on the place, at the time of this writing in 1918, thirty head of cattle and nearly one hundred head of hogs.
The marriage of W.H. Deweese and Emma Copeland was solemnized in August, 1880. Emma (Copeland) Deweese is a daughter of Davis and Eliza Copeland, formerly residents of Ohio and then of Kansas. The Copeland family moved to the northern part of Missouri from Ohio and located in Scotland county, where the father died. Mrs. Copeland departed this life in Greenwood county, Kansas. To W.H. and Emma Deweese have been born five children: Glenn, who is engaged in farming in Summit township, Butler, Missouri; Florence, the wife of Boone Smithson, Lone Oak township; Ada, the wife of Rome Daniels, of Hardy, Montana; Everett, now in the National Army service with the Medical Reserve Corps of Cornell University from Ithaca, New York; and Marie, a graduate of the Butler High School and a former student of the Warrensburg State Normal School, who is at home with her parents, now teaching in Bates county.
Whatever success W.H. Deweese has achieved in life is due almost entirely to his industry, energy, and well-directed efforts. In early manhood, he began to make his own way in the world with little aid and a limited allowance, and by resolute purpose, indefatigable thrift, and sound judgment he has acquired a comfortable competence and has worked himself up to a position of affluence.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

THOMAS HUMPHREY DICKISON, an honored pioneer of Bates county, Missouri, a member of one of the oldest and best families of the state, ex-trustee of Deepwater township, is a native of Bates county, Missouri as its boundaries were at the time of his birth, December 23, 1846, or of what is now Little Osage township, Vernon county. Mr. Dickison is a son of Humphrey and Elvira Goff (Perkins) Dodge Dickison. Humphrey Dickison was a native of Licking county, Ohio. He came to Missouri in 1839 and settled on a tract of land, comprising one hundred sixty acres, in what was then Bates county. Mr. Dickison’s wife, Myra (Goff) Dickison, whom he married December 6, 1821, died the year after their coming West on August 27, 1840 and her remains were interred in the Dickison cemetery on their farm, the first burial made there. To Humphrey and Myra (Goff) Dickison were born the following children: Ruth Anne, born October 16, 1822; Caroline, born December 22, 1824; William Goff, born March 11, 1827; Sarah Ann, born September 16, 1829; Anson, born March 4, 1832; Louisa, born June 1, 1836; Albert, born August 15, 1840. Mr. Dickison remarried, his second wife being Mrs. Elvira Goff (Perkins) Dodge, and to this union were born two sons: Thomas H., the subject of this review; and Edwin James, born November 17, 1852, who died in 1891 at Catskill, New Mexico and was buried at Trinidad, Colorado; and a daughter, Myra H., born in 1844, died in infancy. Mrs. Dickison, the mother of Thomas H. and Edwin James, was a native of Vermont, a highly intellectual and well-educated woman, who came to Missouri in 1833 and was employed as a teacher at the old Harmony Mission school as long as the mission was maintained. She was a widow at the time of her marriage with Mr. Dickison. Her first husband, Nathaniel B. Dodge, was killed in 1838 in a battle with the Indians on the island of the Marais des Cygnes. The savages of the forest had been killing the cattle and hogs of the early settlers of that vicinity for some time until the annoyance had become unendurable. The hardy, fearless frontiers-men mustered a small band of thirteen men to teach the Indians a lesson in the only terms which they seemed to understand. The former demanded of the red men that they give over the marauders to be punished and this the Indians refused to do. In the battle which ensued, two Indians were killed and others seriously wounded. Nathaniel B. Dodge was the only settler killed, but three others were wounded, among them two brothers of Mr. Dodge: Newell and Edward, both of whom recovered. The first burial made in the Balltown cemetery, nine miles north and east of Nevada, Missouri, was made for the remains of Nathaniel B. Dodge, the first husband of Thomas H. Dickison’s mother. Mrs. Dickison died in October, 1862. Humphrey Dickison died November 7, 1867.
There is a strange fascination about the horrible in life which draws both young and old to witness the most revolting sights of our civilization and it is not all queer that young, ten-year-old Thomas H. Dickison should have been heartbroken and have wept bitterly for one whole day when his father firmly and sternly refused to allow him to attend the hanging of Dr. Nottingham at Papinsville in the autumn of 1856. It is not possible to put old heads on young shoulders and judgment and control of one’s natural impulses come only with years of experience – and there is no doubt that there were hundreds of wise, old heads present at Papinsville that day to see the doctor’s swing from the gallows, a sad but true comment upon curious human nature. A downpour of rain can’t change it.
Thomas H. Dickison obtained his education in the “subscription schools” of Vernon county. The hard, primitive life of the pioneers afforded by little opportunity for schooling and with the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861 the majority of the few poor schools were obliged to close their doors. Mr. Dickison was reared on the farm and his youth was chiefly spent in assisting with the work on the home place and as most of his young life was spent out-of-doors he grew rapidly into a strong, vigorous, normal manhood. He resided in Vernon county until 1867, when he came to Bates county. Humphrey Dickison had entered a vast tract of land in this county and his son, Thomas H., was given one hundred acres. Mr. Dickison is now the owner of one hundred ninety-one acres of land in Bates county, a farm lying one and three-fourth miles east of Spruce, Missouri. He left this state in 1870 and took up his residence in Texas, where he remained for six years and then returning to his present home in 1876 he has rebuilt the residence, a house of two stories, and placed all the improvements on the farm.
The marriage of Thomas H. Dickison and Emma Caroline Snodgrass was solemnized in 1873 in Fannin county, Texas. Mrs. Dickison was a daughter of Isaac and Martha (Stubblefield) Snodgrass. To this union were born nine children, five of whom are now living: Walter Edwin, farmer near Spruce, Missouri; Isaac Humphrey, a well-known merchant of Spruce, Missouri; Ennis Pearl, the wife of C.W. Stephenson, of Deepwater township; Ethel C., the wife of Arthur Strode, and they resided with Mr. Dickison on the home farm; and Cyrus B., who resides on a Scully lease in Bates county. Mr. Dickison has seven grandchildren, of whom he is very fond: Ophelia Fay and Omeda May Dickison, children of Mr. and Mrs. Walter E. Dickison; George Humphrey, Hazel Pearl Dickison, children of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Humphrey Dickison; and Lois Alene Stephenson, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Stephenson; Walter Lee and Velma Ruth are children of Cyrus B. For three generations of the Dickisons, there has been a Humphrey Dickison in the family, a noble, old name which the bearer should be proud to bear and ashamed to tarnish by a single unworthy act. The saddest event in the life of Thomas H. Dickison occurred October 27, 1917, when death entered the Dickison home once more and again broke the family circle. Mrs. Dickison, her husband's faithful and brave helpmeet and beloved companion for forty-three years, the loving mother of their children, answered the last summons last autumn.
Mr. Dickison has always taken a deep interest in the general growth and development of his county and state and has manifested a most commendable interest in the public and political affairs of his township. He has served one term in the office of township trustee of Deepwater township. He has watched Bates county steadily emerge from an unsettled wilderness and prairie and become one of the best and most prosperous sections of Missouri and during all these years he has contributed his full share toward bringing about this marvelous development. Thomas H. Dickison is one of the county's most excellent citizens, a noble son of a noble father.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ALONZO DIXON, a prominent farmer and stockman of Mount Pleasant township, is one of the most highly respected citizens of Bates county. Mr. Dixon came to Bates county in 1857 with his parents, Lewis and Elizabeth (Silvey) Dixon, both of whom were natives of Virginia. Lewis Dixon first came to Bates county in 1856, at which time he made arrangements with Ex-Sheriff Clem, afterward Judge Clem, to enter one hundred sixty acres of land, the Dixon homestead. Mr. Dixon returned with his family the following year, in 1857, and located at Butler. He and Judge Clem, in partnership, operated a saw-mill located south of Butler on the James Brown farm. They made posts, rails, and fencing materials and Lewis Dixon fenced his farm of one hundred sixty acres with lumber sawed at his mill. During the Civil War, because of Order No. 11, Mr. Dixon was taken prisoner, placed in the guardhouse at Butler, taken to the guardhouse at St. Louis, Missouri, and thence to Alton, Illinois, and Jefferson City, Missouri. He remained in prison until the close of the war. When Lewis Dixon again took up the fight of making an honest and honorable living, after he was released in 1865, he was penniless. He resumed farming and stock raising, pursuits which he followed the remainder of his life. Mr. Dixon died January 5, 1886, and five years afterward he was joined in death by his wife. Mrs. Dixon departed this life in June, 1891. Both father and mother were laid to rest in the family burial ground on the home place, the farm Mr. Dixon had entered from the government in 1856. The Dixon homestead is located one mile south of Butler.
Alonzo Dixon attended the district schools of Bates county. He has spent his entire life, up to the time of this writing in 1918, in Bates county. About twenty-seven years ago, he moved to his present farm, formerly known as the old Porter place, located three and a half miles southwest of Butler. All the splendid improvements on the place, Mr. Dixon has himself added. He is successfully engaged in farming and stock raising. The Dixon farm comprises one hundred sixty acres of land.
In 1910, the marriage of Alonzo Dixon and Ora Jones was solemnized. Ora (Jones) Dixon is a daughter of Andrew and Sarah E. Jones, of Mount Pleasant township. Mrs. Dixon is a native of Bates county. Andrew Jones died in 1902 and his widow makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. Alonzo Dixon. To Alonzo and Ora Dixon has been born one child, a son, Alonzo Lee. Mr. Dixon has one son by a former wife, Lewis Dixon, now bookkeeper with the American Express Company at Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Dixon are excellent citizens, good, quiet, and unobtrusive people, and they are held in the highest esteem in their community.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE W. DIXON, one of Bates county’s successful merchants, a grocer, hardware and music dealer of Butler, is a native of Kansas. Mr. Dixon was born October 16, 1864 in Miami county, Kansas, a son of J.W. and Martha E. (Tharp) Dixon, both of whom were born in Virginia. J.W. Dixon was a Union veteran of the Civil War. He enlisted with the Federal troops at Miami county, Kansas, and for many months served with Company I, Ninth Kansas Infantry, and later with the Cass county home guards. In the second year of the Civil War, in 1862, J.W. Dixon and Martha E. Tharp were united in marriage in July and to this union were born nine children, all of whom are now living and the youngest child is, at the time of this writing, thirty-seven years of age: Etta, the wife of Houston Gillogly, of western Kansas; George W., the subject of this review; Emma, the wife of A.C. Stewart, Miami, Oklahoma; Elmer, Dodge City, Kansas; Anna, the wife of O.D. Kuhu, Miami county, Kansas; Ella, the wife of Mr. Dunham, of Iola, Kansas; J.W., B.O., and Jud P., who are engaged in the junk business at Rich Hill, Missouri. Years before the war, J.W. Dixon came to Kansas and settled within two and a half miles of the state line, in Miami county, Kansas in 1857. With him came J.W. White and Archie Trammel. A son of Archie Trammel, William Trammel, is now residing on a farm near Rich Hill, Missouri. Mr. Dixon returned to the farm after the close of the war and continued to reside there the remainder of his life. He died in 1885. The widowed mother is now living at Butler, Missouri.
George W. Dixon received his elementary education in the public schools of Miami county, Kansas, and later, he was a student for one and a half years at Kansas Normal College, Fort Scott, Kansas. Mr. Dixon began life for himself in 1889, alternately teaching school and farming in the winter and summer seasons in Miami county for a period of seven years. In 1899, Mr. Dixon purchased the G.B. Hockman furniture store in Butler, Missouri and since acquiring the store he has added hardware, musical instruments, and groceries and has moved to his present location in 1907. Mr. Dixon owns the store building, a two-story brick structure 45 x 80 feet in dimensions, which fronts on Main street. He carries a complete line of groceries, furniture, hardware, and stoves, which are on the ground floor of the store, and linoleums, rugs, furniture, and musical instruments, on the second floor.
In 1903, George W. Dixon and Dora Collins were united in marriage. Mrs. Dixon is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S.H. Collins, of Chapman, Nebraska. The Dixon home is in Butler, located on Havanna street, an attractive, modern residence built in 1917. In addition to his home, and his store, Mr. Dixon is owner of a good farm comprising one hundred twenty acres in Vernon county, Missouri and he is one of the organizers and stockholders of the Peoples Bank of Butler, with which financial institution he has always maintained a close connection.
Mr. Dixon has taken a keen interest in civic affairs and he was at one time a member of the city council of Butler. Mr. Dixon is one of the leading dealers in Bates county and has deservedly earned the liberal patronage accorded him by the public.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

CHARLES W. DOANE, a prominent farmer and stockman of Lone Oak township, is of a pioneer family of Bates county. Mr. Doane was born on the farm in Lone Oak township, where he now resides, on January 1, 1872, one of three living children born to his parents, William C., Sr., and Mary E. (Hancock) Doane, who are as follow: William C., Jr., farmer and merchant at “Ada,” a sketch of whom appears in this volume; Charles W., the subject of this review; and Hattie Lee, the wife of William Lacorse, Lewiston, Idaho. The parents are now deceased and their remains are interred in the cemetery at Butler. A more comprehensive sketch of Mr. and Mrs. Doane is given in connection with the biography of William C. Doane, Jr.
In the public schools of Lone Oak township and of Butler, Charles W. Doane obtained his education. He returned to Lone Oak township, after leaving school, to the farm where he was born, and has lived there since. The Doane farm is nine miles southeast of Butler and is a tract of valley land in Pleasant Valley school district, a district organized prior to the time of the Civil War by Doctor Requa when the Indian school at Harmony Mission was being conducted. It is a nicely improved and well watered country place. Mr. Doane raises good draft horses and mules and, at the time of this writing in 1918, has from fifteen to twenty-five head of pure-bred Shorthorn cattle. The improvements on the place include a new, six-room cottage, built in 1917 and a barn, 36 x 48 feet in dimensions and sixteen feet to square, built in 1917. Mr. Doane is an industrious farmer and stockman and his efforts have been attended with success.
The marriage of Charles W. Doane and Lizzie E. Hancock was solemnized March 5, 1895. Lizzie E. (Hancock) Doane is a native of Pleasant Gap township, Bates county, Missouri, a daughter of David and Sarah (Willy) Hancock. Mr. Hancock died in 1900 and burial was made in the cemetery at Butler, Missouri. The widowed mother now makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. Doane. To Charles W. and Lizzie E. (Hancock) Doane have been born three children: Elmer Lee, of Butler, Missouri; Mary Catherine, wife of Roy Walker, of Lone Oak township, Bates county; and Buford Lloyd, who is at home with his parents.
As a farmer and stockman, Charles W. Doane has won a conspicuous place among the leading men of the township. Personally, he is highly respected by his neighbors and friends and Lone Oak township is proud to designate him as one of her native sons who have made good.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM C. DOANE, JR., a former newspaper man, one of the founders of the Joplin “Daily American,” a retired attorney-at-law, one of the well-known farmers of Lone Oak township and a successful merchant of Ada, was born in Lone Oak township, Bates county, Missouri on July 7, 1866, a son of William C., Sr., and Mary E. (Hancock) Doane. William C. Doane, Sr., was born in Gloucestershire, England in 1844. He emigrated from his native land and came to the United States in 1860, making the journey thence on a sailing vessel which was six months on the way. Mr. Doane, Sr., landed at New Orleans, Louisiana, and from that city went to St. Louis, Missouri and from St. Louis to the state of Illinois, where he located temporarily at Quincy. He came to Bates county, Missouri from Quincy, Illinois on January 1, 1866 and purchased the tract of land, comprising one hundred twenty acres, upon which his son, Charles W., now resides. Later, Mr. Doane, Sr., increased his holdings by the addition of a forty-acre tract of land. In addition to farming and cattle raising, he made coffins for the need of the pioneers of this part of the country and also followed the trade of gunsmithing, both of which trades he had mastered in England in his youth. To William C., Sr., and Mary E. Doane were born three children, who are now living: William C., Jr., the subject of this review; Charles W., a prosperous farmer and stockman of Lone Oak township, Bates county, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume; and Hattie Lee, the wife of William Lacorse, of Lewiston, Idaho. The mother died at the Doane homestead in Lone Oak township in 1891 and seven years afterward she was united in death with her husband, who died March 19, 1898. The remains of both mother and father were laid to rest in the cemetery at Butler, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. William C. Doane, Sr., were honored and respected among the best families of pioneers who settled in Bates county.
William C. Doane, Jr., attended the public schools of Lone Oak township, Bates county, and Butler Academy. After leaving school, Mr. Doane, Jr., returned to his father's farm, where he was for several years engaged in the pursuits of agriculture. He left the farm to engage in newspaper work at Joplin, Missouri, and for two years was with the Joplin “Daily American” and the Daily American, assisting in the founding of the latter paper. From Joplin, Mr. Doane, Jr., went to Kansas City, Missouri, where for ten years he was associated in partnership in the law business with F.M. Knard. The former retired from the firm and returned to the farm in Bates county, Missouri, a place embracing forty-one acres of valuable land, where he now resides, located ten miles southeast of Butler. In connection with his farm work, Mr. Doane, Jr., conducts a general store and he calls the place Ada.His place is on Rural Route 5 from Rich Hill, Missouri.
W.C. Doane, Jr., was married March 16, 1918, to Anna V. Stanbury, a native of Missouri, reared near Stillwell, Johnson county, Kansas. By a former marriage to Maggie E. Shuster, of Lone Oak township, Bates county, Mr. Doane has three children: Charles McKinley, fireman with the “Frisco” railroad, Kansas City, Missouri; William H., who enlisted in the Fourteenth United States Cavalry, April, 1915, and is now a corporal stationed at Valverde county, Texas; and Edgar D., a grocer, Kansas City, Missouri.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

is a native of Bates County, Missouri, born July 15, 1866, the son of Anzi and Tresia (Moore) Donnell, the father a native of Virginia and the mother of Kentucky. The parents were married in Missouri, where they lived until the father's death in 1870. The mother has been again married and is now living in Missouri. Mr. Donnell has one sister, Leona, and one half-brother, and one half-sister, Frank and Berthola Davidson.

Vantromp Donnell has a good common school education, which he acquired in the state of his birth, in Henry and Jasper counties. At the age of eighteen he began life for himself by working in a smelter. He was thus engaged for four years, then took up teaming. He followed this occupation three years, or until 1889, when he came to Adams county and located as a homestead his present farm. He subsequently purchased a quarter-section of land in addition to his homestead, and he has in an advanced state of cultivation and improvement. He has a fine house and barn, an excellent orchard and a herd of well-bred cattle.

On September 7, 1902, Mr. Donnell was married to Ella E. Rainey, daughter of G. F. and Susan (Williams) Raney, the father a native of Virginia and the mother of Tennessee. The parents settled in Little Rock, Arkansas, afterwards removing to southern Missouri, where they lived seven years. Again removing, they went to Webster County, Missouri, where they lived nine years, after which time they established a home in Taney County, of the same state, and there the father died. The mother continued to live there until 1903, when she came to Adams County, Washington, where she still lives. Mrs. Donnell is a member of a family originally comprising eight children, six of whom, besides herself, are living, Fannie, Mary L., Belle, Epps, Emma, and May. One brother, William, is dead.

Mrs. Donnell is a member of the Rebekah fraternity and of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The subject of our sketch is a member of the M. W. A., and in his political convictions he holds aloof from either party, leaving himself free to vote according to the dictates of his conscience and for the man of his choice irrespective of the political parry upon whose ticket he is a candidate. Mr. and Mrs. Donnell have one child, Thelma E., born June 26, 1903.
[Source: "An Illustrated History of the Big Bend Country . . ." Volume 2; published by Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]

JESSE G. DOOLITTLE  For a period of over sixty years the name of Doolittle has been prominently identified with the agricultural and banking interests of Bates county. The family is one of the oldest in this section of Missouri and dates from the year 1857 when John Doolittle, father of the subject of this review, made a settlement in Walnut township. The first progenitor of the family in America came across the Atlantic from England in 1620 and settled in Massachusetts. J.G. Doolittle, cashier of the Farmers Bank of Foster, Missouri, was born May 18, 1887, on a farm in Walnut township. He is a son of John and Mary (Campbell) Doolittle, the former, a native of Vermont, and the latter, a native of Cass county, Missouri.
John Doolittle was born in Vermont in 1828, a son of Col. Joel Doolittle, a scion of an old New England family. John Doolittle was reared to young manhood in his native state and there received a good education. He accompanied his father to the Pacific Coast during the stirring days of the great gold rush of 1849. He and his father, accompanied by others, made the long trip overland by ox-team, which trip naturally consumed weeks and months. Time was no object to them, however, and they chose the most comfortable way to travel, transporting plenty of provisions and seeing the country as they made the long journey. On the outward-bound trip, the "Argonants" went by way of St. Louis across Missouri, and then overland to Sacramento. This gave them a good opportunity to view the country and it is practically certain that John Doolittle passed through this part of Missouri and was so impressed by the agricultural possibilities lying dormant in the undeveloped country that he was influenced later to make a permanent settlement in Bates county. He and his father spent six years in the gold mines of California, accumulated comfortable fortunes, and then returned home by way of the Isthmus of Panama and New York City. In 1857, he came to Bates county and settled upon a farm located three miles west of Foster in Walnut township. He developed the place into a fine property and increased his holdings as the years passed until he owned over eight hundred acres of valuable land. He resided on his place until his death in 1900 at the age of seventy-two years. Mr. Doolittle was one of the prominent and influential citizens of the county. He was widely and favorably known throughout this section of Missouri. John and Mary Doolittle were parents of the following children: Mrs. Elvira Smith, Cass county, Missouri; Mrs. Irene Moore, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Dora Smith, who died in Foster, Missouri; A.A., who is engaged in business in Kansas City; Jesse G., subject of this review; T.B., Kansas City, Missouri. Mrs. Mary (Campbell) Doolittle, mother of the above-named children, was born in 1842, in Cass county, Missouri, a daughter of James and Irene (Dickey) Campbell, natives of Virginia, who came to Missouri in 1840 and made a settlement in Cass county, residing there until 1849, when they removed to Bates county and were among the very earliest settlers of Walnut township. W.M. Campbell, one of the founders of the Farmers Bank of Foster, a man who was very prominent in Bates county affairs for many years, was a brother of Mrs. Doolittle. Mrs. Mary Doolittle now makes her home in Kansas City.
The early education of Jesse G. Doolittle, subject of this review, was obtained in the public schools of Foster and in the Chillicothe Normal College, Chillicothe, Missouri. Following his classical education, he pursued a business course in the college at Sedalia, Missouri. After completing a practical business education he engaged in farming in Walnut township until his acceptance of the position of cashier of the Farmers Bank at Foster. He became a director of this bank in 1905. In 1909, he became president of the bank and in 1911, he took charge of the bank, as cashier. Mr. Doolittle resided on his farm of three hundred twenty acres, located west of Foster, until 1912, at which time he took up his residence in Foster, from which point he still oversees the work on his farm. In addition to his duties as bank cashier, he is secretary and treasurer of the Bates County Bankers’ Association.
The marriage of J.G. Doolittle and Bertha E. Bailey was solemnized in 1914. Mrs. Bertha Doolittle is a daughter of the late J.W. Bailey, of Walnut township, concerning whom an extended biographical review is given elsewhere in this volume. Mr. and Mrs. J.G. Doolittle have one child, Louise, born March 25, 1915.
Mr. Doolittle is allied with the Republican party and takes an interest in local and county politics, doing all that he can to assist his party’s success at the polls. He and Mrs. Doolittle are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, North. Mr. Doolittle is fraternally affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Foster Lodge No. 554. Mr. Doolittle is one of Bates county’s hustling young citizens, one of the youngest successful bankers in the state. At the time he became president of Farmers Bank, he was the youngest bank president in Missouri and he has given ample evidence of decided business judgment and financial ability of a high order.
The Farmers Bank of Foster, Missouri, was organized in 1877 and is one of the oldest established financial institutions in the county. This bank was organized by William E. Walton, president emeritus of the Walton Trust Company of Butler, Missouri; W.M. Campbell, the first president; J. Everingham, now deceased; Dr. T.C. Boulware; J.P. Edwards; and L.W. Jones, now deceased. F.M. Allen served as assistant cashier under William E. Walton for the first year. Judge John H. Sullens was the next cashier, followed by W.A. Ephland, who was succeeded by W.S. James, who served until J.G. Doolittle took charge in 1911. Prior to becoming cashier of the bank, Mr. Doolittle served as president, succeeding W.M. Campbell in 1909.
The capital stock of the Farmers Bank is fifteen thousand dollars; surplus fund is six thousand dollars; with total resources of one hundred twenty thousand dollars at this writing, December, 1917. The present officers are as follow: H.A. Rhoades, president; J.G. Doolittle, cashier; and H.A. Rhoades, J.G. Doolittle, H.G. Davis, E.E. Laughlin, Bertha E. Doolittle, directors.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JEROME T. DONNOHUE, a well-known and successful young agriculturist and stockman of Hudson township, is a member of one of the highly respected pioneer families of Bates county. He was born on the farm where he now resides, a son of Daniel and Anna (Wilson) Donnohue, the former, a native of Missouri and the latter, of Virginia. The Donnohues settled in Hudson township in the late sixties on a farm located one-half mile southwest of Hudson, which was then quite a village with a store, a postoffice and a doctor. Daniel Donnohue owned one hundred eighty acres of land in Hudson township, a farm which he spent the greater part of his life in improving and where he died in 1909. Mrs. Donnohue, the widowed mother of Jerome T., the subject of this review, resides at Appleton City, Missouri.
In the public schools of Hudson township, Bates county, Missouri, Jerome T. Donnohue obtained his elementary education. He is a graduate of Appleton City High School, Appleton City, in the class of 1907. After completing the high school course, Mr. Donnohue returned to the home place, a part of which he now owns, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits. For the past two years he has been handling graded sheep and, at the time of this writing in 1918, he has a herd of forty-five on the farm. Mr. Donnohue raises high-grade Duroc Jersey hogs, Shorthorn cattle, and good mares and mules. The past autumn, he planted thirty-five acres of the place in wheat. The Donnohue farm comprises one hundred sixty-eight acres of land, a large portion of which is devoted to pasture.
In 1912, Jerome T. Donnohue and Minnie Deller, of Hudson township, a daughter of Henry and Agnes Deller, residents of St. Clair county, Missouri, were united in marriage. To this union have been born three sons: Vern, Harry, and Albert. Mr. and Mrs. Donnohue stand high in their community and are respected by all who them as young citizens of genuine worth. Mr. Donnohue is a stanch believer in the efficacy of hard, continued labor and he has probably done more difficult manual work than any other man of his years in the township. He is a gentleman of much public spirit, progressive ideas, and enterprise and he is deeply interested in the advancement of his township and county. He is numbered among the excellent citizens of Hudson township and Bates county, as was his father before him.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN HENRY DOUGLASS, an honored and respected member of the noble clan of brave pioneers of Bates county, Missouri of 1848, one of the best known and most prominent citizens of Mingo township, is a native of Clay county, Missouri. Mr. Douglass was born July 25, 1839, a son of Jesse and Sarah A. (McQuiddy) Douglass, both of whom were natives of Kentucky. John Henry Douglass was left fatherless when he was a small boy. His father died at the Douglass homestead near Windsor, Missouri and interment was made in the cemetery at Windsor. The widowed mother remarried, her second husband being Martin Hackler, of Van Buren (now Bates) county and Mingo township. Mr. and Mrs. Hackler moved to Bates county with their family in 1848 and settled on the farm now owned by J.W. Middleton, a place located one and one-fourth miles west of Mayesburg. John Henry Douglass has a half-brother, Perry Hackler, whose address is unknown.
In the Civil War, John Henry Douglass was a member of the Paw Paw militia, or Home Guards, of Clinton, Missouri, on the Federal side. He was with Price after the battle at Lexington. After the conflict had ended, Mr. Douglass resided for some time at Butler, Missouri, at Clinton, Missouri, and then in Illinois. His stepfather, Martin Hackler, willed to him his present country place, a farm comprising sixty acres of land in Mingo township, and since 1868 he has been engaged in the vocation of farming and stock raising in the vicinity of Mayesburg.
March 9, 1865, John Henry Douglass and Eliza C. Hutchinson were united in marriage. Eliza C. (Hutchinson) Douglass, of Henry county, Missouri was born in Callaway county, Missouri, a daughter of John R. Hutchinson, one of Missouri's first brave pioneers. To John Henry and Mrs. Douglass were born the following children, who are now living: Mrs. Anna B. Cannon, the wife of C.G. Cannon, of Pomeroy, Washington, who is a brother of Thomas E. Cannon, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume; Jesse R., Riverside, California; Thomas E., Pomeroy, Washington; William, who resides with his father on the home place in Mingo township, Bates county, Missouri; and James W., of Grandview, Washington. The mother died in 1906 and her remains were laid to rest in Mullins cemetery. Mrs. Douglass was one of Bates county's beloved pioneer women, a faithful wife and loving mother, whose presence has been sadly missed from the broken home circle at the Douglass home in Mingo township.
When the Hacklers came to Mingo township, Bates county in 1848, John Henry Douglass was a lad nine years of age, a bright, keen-eyed, impressionable boy, and he recalls much in regard to the conditions of this section of the country in the late forties and early fifties. Johnstown and Dayton, Cass county, were the two nearest trading points. Mr. Hackler and his wife frequently went on horseback to Harrisonville, Missouri to trade. Mr. Douglass remembers the night of the arrival of the family at the new home. A heavy sleet fell during the night and the next morning many limbs of the trees along the creek banks were broken off and the prairies, as far as one could see, looked as if covered with a sheet of glass. Among the early settlers, who lived here prior to the Civil War, were Mr. Ashcraft, on Peter creek; Thomas Burris, on Peter creek; Alfred Carnutt, who lived one-half mile west of the Hackler home; Mr. Cathey, whose resident was north of the Hackler home on Cove creek; and Uncle Oscar and Joe Reeder, on Peter creek. Wild game abounded, deer and wild turkeys being found in large numbers, and the red men of the forest frequently passed through this part of the country, especially during the hunting season. There were no public schools in Bates county prior to the Civil War, but “subscription schools” were held and Powell Williams was one of the early day teachers, or “schoolmasters.  The school house in Mingo township was a rudely constructed log cabin, located two miles from Hackler's, and half of one end of the log building was a huge fireplace. In the earliest days, preaching was held in the cabin homes of the settlers. Alfred Carnutt had built a two-room log house and as he had a much larger residence than the majority of the pioneers the religious services were most frequently held at his home. Reverend Shoemake, from north of Harrisonville, Missouri, was a pioneer “circuit rider” who often preached at Carnutt's and other homes in this vicinity. Thus, in brief, were the primitive institutions in Bates county, Missouri and such were the conditions of the country during the boyhood and early manhood of John Henry Douglass.
Nearly eighty years have dissolved in the mists of the past since John Henry Douglass first saw the light of day, years fraught with momentous consequences, with some of the most stirring events of history, with the greatest and most important progress, perhaps, known to humanity. Mr. Douglass has witnessed the growth and development of Bates county from a wilderness abounding in wild animals and Indians to one of the most progressive sections of the great state of Missouri and he has heartily co-operated with every movement having this object in view. Mr. Douglass’ life has been well spent and though far past the allotted span of life he is still active and alert, physically and mentally, and surrounded by a host of friends is spending his declining years in quiet enjoyment of happiness and peace well deserved, looking hopefully into the future which has nothing for him to fear and reminiscently into the past which has much for him to muse upon, loved ones to recall.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

is a highly respected citizen of Rockville township, where he was born in 1870. He is a son of Harvey and Eliza (Campbell) Douglas, who came to Bates county in 1865 from Iowa and rented the Simon Gilbreath farm in Hudson township. Soon afterward, Harvey Douglas located in Rockville township and bought a forty-acre farm adjoining the townsite of Rockville. Later, he sold this farm and bought one hundred twenty acres located one mile east of the town and there spent the remainder of his life, dying there in 1870 at the age of fifty-one years. He was highly respected and valued throughout the community and was one of the sterling pioneer citizens of Bates county. One brother, Alonzo Douglas, saw service in the Civil War, Alonzo having fought on the Union side at the battle of Lonejack. The Douglas children are: John, deceased; Mrs. Emma Ward, deceased; Ollie Bennifield, Lees Summit, Missouri; William, subject of this sketch; Mrs. Maggie Greene, Hudson township; two sons, General and Luma, died in infancy.
William Douglas was educated in the Rockville public schools and has always followed farming pursuits. After his father’s death he cared for his mother until her death. He became owner of fifty acres of the home place to which he added seventy acres, making one hundred twenty acres in all comprising his farm. Mr. Douglas had a well improved place until along came a cyclone on April 19, 1916 and practically wiped everything out of existence. The house, cattle barn, and hen house were destroyed and a fine grove of maples in the yard were razed to the ground. The wind mill was torn down, a flock of one hundred eighty chickens were killed, and the farm machinery was smashed. All of this devastation has since been replaced with better buildings and new machinery, etc. Mr. Douglas escaped unhurt because he sought refuge in the cellar.
Mr. Douglas was married on November 14, 1917 to Marie Jacobs, of Hudson township. At the present writing, February, 1918, Mr. Douglas is feeding thirty head of Hereford cattle and thirty-five head of hogs. For the past ten years he has made a practice of feeding livestock for the markets. He is a Republican in politics.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.B. DURAND, the oldest resident of Prairie township, Bates county, Missouri in points of years of residence, was born in Pennsylvania in October, 1843, a son of J.N. and Betsey Durand, the father a native of New York and the mother, of Pennsylvania. J.N. Durand was born in 1816 and Mrs. Durand was born in the same year. The Durands moved from the state of New York to Pennsylvania when J.N. Durand was very young. He came with his family to Missouri in 1850 and the first year they were located on a farm which is the present townsite of Pleasant Gap, settling in Prairie township on a tract of land comprising forty acres adjoining the site of Prairie City, which city was planned, platted, and named by J.N. Durand in 1858. Provisions and merchandise were hauled in wagons drawn by oxen from Osceola and Boonville, from one to two trips being required for the trip. Osceola was the head of navigation at that time and Bates county was practically all open prairie. J.N. Durand was the first and only postmaster of Prairie City prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. Prairie City, in the days before the Civil War, boasted two stores which were conducted by Mr. Nickerson and Mr. Lee. The little village was burned during the conflict, and it then was composed of probably a dozen or more homes. J.N. Durand was a member of the Missouri state militia and served under Captain Newberry, a cousin of Mr. Durand. J.B. Durand recalls the time when Captain Newberry came to Bates county in 1853, walking across the prairie coming from the north, for he made his home with the Durands for some time. J.N. Durand was killed in April, 1863 by “bushwhackers,” when he was on his way from his home to Butler, where he had been stationed. Interment was made in the cemetery at Prairie City, Missouri. Betsey Durand had preceded her husband in death many years. She died May 9, 1853. To J.N. and Betsey Durand were born four children: J.B., the subject of this review; Mary J., deceased; Eugene, deceased; and Alphonso, who died in infancy. Mr. Durand was married a second time and to him and Sarah Lutsenhizer were born two children: Emily, of Littleton, Colorado; and Warren, of Littleton, Colorado.
J.B. Durand was educated in the public schools of Prairie township and the University of Missouri. After leaving the State University, he returned to his home in Prairie township, where he has spent the remainder of his life to the time of this writing, in 1918. Mr. Durand is the owner of a valuable farm, comprising seventy acres of land adjoining the townsite of Prairie City, where he is engaged in general farming and dairying. The Durand place is well improved, the improvements including a handsome residence, a house of eight rooms, modern throughout, built in 1880; a barn, 32 x 51 feet in dimensions; a second barn, 32 x 44 feet in dimensions; and several sheds. Mr. Durand planted an apple orchard covering many acres of land in 1874. A few of the trees of the original orchard remain and for several years his efforts along the line of horticulture appeared to be wise and promised great returns. His last large crop was in the year of 1895, when a terrific storm in September blew them all off the trees. He dried eighty thousand pounds of apples and made four hundred barrels of cider and vinegar that year, but due to the low prices they were hauled at a loss. Mr. Durand is now devoting his attention to dairying.
The marriage of J.B. Durand and Sarah Anna Short was solemnized December 11, 1877. Mrs. Durand is a daughter of David and Sarah Short, the former a native of Washington county, Indiana and the latter, of Louisville, Kentucky. The Shorts located in St. Clair county, Missouri in the days before the Civil War and in this county their daughter, Sarah Anna, was born. Mr. and Mrs. Short moved to Baldwin, Kansas to educate a granddaughter and there Mr. Short died. Mrs. Short’s death occurred at Rockville, Missouri and both father and mother were laid to rest in the cemetery at Rockville. Mrs. J.B. Durand has the following brothers and sisters, now five living: Mrs. Susan Shoemaker, Rockville, Missouri; Owen, Los Angeles, California; Mrs. Amanda Pingree, deceased; Mrs. Ella Lewellen, of St. Clair county, Missouri; Eddie P., of St. Clair county, Missouri; and Charlie, whose address is unknown. To J.B. and Sarah Anna (Short) Durand have been born four children, all of whom were born in Prairie township, Bates county, Missouri, have been reared to maturity, and are now living: Walter, a prosperous farmer of Powell, Wyoming; Jessie, who is a trained nurse at St. Joseph, Missouri; Oscar, who is successfully operating a dairy farm at Sumner, Washington; and Eugenia, the widow of John A. Kinman, of St. Joseph, Missouri.
In 1867, Mr. Durand states, the boat named  "Thomas Stevens" made one trip up the river to Papinsville and two trips to Belvoir, four miles below Papinsville, with lumber and salt. The "Osage" also made one trip. Mr. Durand was deputy sheriff under Captain Newberry and has filled several different township offices and has served as a member of the school board. He has long been numbered among the substantial and influential farmers and stockmen of Bates county and as a gentleman and citizen his record is one well worthy of emulation. Mr. Durand in his prime was a man of great endurance, strong and vigorous of body, equally strong and vigorous of mind, a splendid specimen of symmetrically developed manhood. Temperance in all things, correct habits of living, and healthful outdoor exercise have conserved his energies and prolonged his life past the three score years and ten allotted to man and he now in Prairie township stands like a lone forest tree, the companions of youth long since cut down and many sleeping in forgotten graves. Although now on the shady side of the mountain of life and proceeding onward toward the twilight and evening bell and the journeys end he still retains to a remarkable degree many of his faculties and his memory is as keen as in his more vigorous days. On the roll of Bates countys most honored pioneer citizens, the name of J.B. Durand is found among the first.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM F. DUVALL, president of the Duvall-Percival Trust Company of Butler, Missouri, president of the Farmers Bank, is one of the prominent and influential citizens of Bates county. He was born May 1, 1868, a son of William Penn and Sarah J. (Whisler) Duvall, both of whom were natives of Highland county, Ohio, the former a descendant of Marquis Duvall, a native of France, who settled in Maryland in the early colonial days. William Penn Duvall came to Missouri in 1868 with his family and they located on a tract of land two miles south of Virginia, a farm which the father purchased and improved and where he resided for twenty years. Mr. Duvall, Sr. moved from the farm near Virginia to a country place adjoining Butler on the west, where he lived until 1895 and then retired from active participation in farm work and moved to Butler, in which city he was an honored and highly respected resident at the time of his death in 1917 at the age of nearly eighty years. Mrs. Duvall, widow of William Penn Duvall, still resides at Butler, one of the most esteemed of Bates county's pioneer women. To William Penn and Sarah J. (Whisler) Duvall were born the following children: Laura B., an instructor of voice culture at Chicago, Illinois; the second daughter died in infancy; William F., the subject of this review; Mrs. J.A. Nicholas, of Pomona, Los Angeles county, California; J.B., vice-president of the Duvall-Percival Trust Company of Butler, Missouri; Arthur, treasurer of the Duvall-Percival Trust Company of Butler, Missouri; and Homer, cashier of the Farmers Bank of Butler, Missouri.
In the public schools of Bates county, Missouri, William F. Duvall received his elementary education, which was supplemented by a thorough course at Butler Academy, from which he graduated, after which he completed a business course at Butler Commercial College. When he left the last named institution, Mr. Duvall accepted a position as bookkeeper at Sherman, Texas, which place in the business world he resigned after one year and returned to Bates county to enter the teaching profession and for one year was employed as teacher in the public schools of this county. Mr. Duvall then entered the real estate and abstract business at Butler and had been thus engaged for two years when, in 1891, he associated himself with H.E. Percival, of Burlington, Vermont, in the organization of the Duvall-Percival Trust Company, which is now one of the largest, best, and most aggressive financial institutions in this part of the state.
In December, 1890, William F. Duvall and Jessie S. Childs were united in marriage. Mrs. Duvall was a daughter of T.W. and Sarah J. Childs, of Butler, Missouri. To William F. and Jessie S. (Childs) Duvall were born two sons: Thomas Warren, who is a lieutenant in the army of the United States and is located, at the time of this writing in 1918, at Camp Funston, Kansas; and William Leslie, a student in the Butler High School. The mother died in June, 1899. The marriage of William F. Duvall and Regina Rosser was solemnized in December, 1900. Regina (Rosser) Duvall is a daughter of W.F. and Marian Rosser, of Butler, Missouri. Mrs. Duvall’s mother is now deceased and her father is a well-known resident of Butler. Mr. and Mrs. Duvall reside at Butler, their home being located on the corner of Fort Scott and High streets.
William F. Duvall has capably served as mayor of the city of Butler. He was elected in 1900 on the Republican ticket, overcoming a Democratic majority of one hundred fifty votes by one hundred fifty votes. He was elected president of the Bates County Drainage Board in 1914 and has been twice reelected and is still a member of the board at the time of this writing. Mr. Duvall is the owner of the Duvall ranch, a farm comprising sixteen hundred acres of land, an unimproved, uncultivated, timber-covered tract at the time of his purchase in 1911. The larger part of the ranch has been cleared, leveled, tiled, placed under cultivation, and there are now six sets of improvements on the place. A lateral ditch of the large main drainage ditch touches the ranch on the east. Mr. Duvall has been interested in growing alfalfa on his place and, finding the crop a very valuable and profitable one, he has been instrumental in getting other men interested in alfalfa growing. He is one of the most intelligent and progressive agriculturists in the state as well as a successful, efficient business man and financier.

Return to

Bates County


Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails   
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.