Welcome to
Bates County
Missouri


Biographies
~ E ~



WILLIAM A. EADS, a highly respected and progressive farmer and stockman of Deepwater township, is a worthy representative of a prominent pioneer family of Missouri. Mr. Eads is a native of Iowa, a son of Strowther and Martha A. (Dodds) Eads, the former, a native of Gasconade county, Missouri, and the latter, of Illinois, and he was born in 1855. Strowther Eads was born March 3, 1825, at the Eads homestead in Gasconade county, Missouri, a son of William and Rebecca (Robison) Eads. William Eads was a native of Kentucky, born in 1780, a member of a leading colonial family of the South. He was united in marriage with Rebecca Robison, a native of South Carolina, who was ten years his junior, in 1820 and to this union were born five children: Polly, Cyrena, and Strowther, all of whom were born in Gasconade county, Missouri; and Alcy and Louisa, who were born in Sangamon county, Illinois. William Eads and his family resided in Gasconade county, Missouri, during the first years of the statehood and settlement of Missouri, from 1820 until 1835, moving thence to Sangamon county, Illinois, and then to Des Moines, Iowa, in 1846. At Des Moines, Iowa, William Eads died. Strowther Eads, father of William A. Eads, the subject of this review, was reared in Sangamon county, Illinois, and was there united in marriage with Martha A. Dodds, a daughter of Joseph and Martha Dodds and a native of Illinois, born in 1827. Joseph Dodds was born May 18, 1785, and his wife was born May 18, 1793. To Strowther and Martha A. (Dodds) Eads were born the following children: Nancy E., who was born February 28, 1847, married William White and now resides at Appleton City, Missouri; Mary E., who was born December 9, 1848, married William Purcell and now resides at Kansas City, Missouri; Rebecca J., who was born March 6, 1851, married Frank Peacock and now resides at Schell City, Missouri; William A., the subject of this review; Finis E., who was born April 15, 1858, a well-to-do farmer residing one and a half miles north of Spruce, Missouri; and Martha A., the wife of Samuel Coleman, of Butler, Missouri. After their marriage on April 16, 1846, Mr. and Mrs. Strowther Eads resided for some time in Sangamon county, Illinois, whence they moved to Iowa, in which state their son, William A., was born. In 1866, they came to Missouri and located near Carrollton, but were dissatisfied and in one year returned to their old home in Sangamon county, Illinois. However, the Eads family could not resist the call of the West and in 1870 returned to Missouri to purchase a tract of land in Bates county in Deepwater township, which was their home until 1881, at which time Strowther Eads moved to Vernon county, purchasing a farm of one hundred sixty acres in sections 3 and 4, located south of Schell City, Missouri. The father died in Vernon county in 1903 and interment was made in the cemetery at Johnstown. The widowed mother survived Mr. Eads ten years, when in 1913 they were united in death and she was laid to rest beside him in the burial ground at Johnstown. For almost a full century, the name of Eads has been a familiar and honored name in Missouri and the family has long been ranked with the sterling first families of the State.
William A. Eads attended school in Bates county, Missouri, and in the district school of Deepwater township obtained an excellent common-school education. Educational advantages in this part of the country were necessarily very limited in the pioneer and war times, but with limited opportunities Mr. Eads made the best progress possible and became thoroughly familiar with the elementary branches and in later life, by eagerly reading and closely observing, has become a remarkably well-informed gentleman. He remained at home with his father as long as the latter lived, the two being associated in partnership in farming and stock raising. Mr. Eads, Jr., was the proprietor of a good farm in Vernon county, Missouri, prior to 1902, when he disposed of it and purchased a country place in Bates county, the Hall farm one-fourth mile east of Spruce, Missouri, a tract of land comprising one hundred four acres, a part of which place was entered from the government by Barbary Price in the early thirties and improved by Mr. Price’s son, Mr. William Price. The Eads farm lies twelve miles east of Butler, Missouri.
The marriage of William A. Eads and Dora Cooper was solemnized February 26, 1880, in Lone Oak township. Mrs. Eads is a daughter of J.M. and Kate (Gentry) Cooper. The Gentry family came from Kentucky to Missouri in the early days and Mrs. Eads was born at Harrisonville, to which city her father had moved from Lees Summit, where he had originally located. He and his brother conducted a mercantile establishment, owning a carriage and wagon factory, at Harrisonville in the fifties. The old building in which the factory was located is still standing. The Coopers moved to Harrisonville when Order No. 11 was issued by General Ewing during the Civil War. The residences of J.M. and Jackson Cooper, the two brothers, were the only two houses in the vicinity which were not searched. Mrs. Eads knew the Youngers personally, for when her parents resided at Lees Summit her brothers, sisters, and she attended the same school as they. To William A. and Dora (Cooper) Eads have been born three children: Maude Ethel, the wife of Carl Ludwick, of Los Angeles, California; Ira, who married Mrs. Epsie Murphy, who is engaged in the mercantile business at Spruce, Missouri; and Charles, who married Bessie Barrickman, and they reside on a farm one-half mile east of Spruce. Mr. and Mrs. Eads are very proud of their five grandchildren: George William and Martha Ruth Ludwick, children of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Ludwick; Mildred and Richard Eads, children of Mr. and Mrs. Ira Eads; and Charles Kenneth Eads, the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Eads.
William A. Eads is a Republican of prominence in his township. He made the race for judge of the county court from his district in 1910 and for county treasurer in 1912. Mr. Eads has always taken an active and interested part in politics and during his residence in Vernon county served for several years on the township board in Clear Creek township as assessor. Deepwater township is proud to number him among its best, most enterprising, public-spirited citizens. Bates county owes its present supremacy to the class of clear-headed, strong-armed, energetic yeomen of which William A. Eads is a creditable representative.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ROBERT ROLAND EARSOM, a substantial citizen of Pleasant Gap township, belongs to a prominent pioneer family of Missouri. He was born in Audrain county, Missouri, January 18, 1850, a son of James Madison and Mary Nowlan (Mahan) Earsom. The father was a native of Virginia and the mother, of Kentucky.
James Madison Earsom grew to manhood in Virginia, where his father was a large planter and an extensive slave holder, owning at one time nine hundred acres of land in the Shenandoah valley. In 1836, James Madison Earsom came to Missouri, settling in Audrain county, where he proved up on two hundred eighty-six acres of land where he spent the balance of his life. His wife and the mother of R.R. Earsom was also a very early settler in Missouri. She came to this state with her parents from Kentucky when St. Louis was little more than a trading post, at most a small village.
R.R. Earsom was one of a family of ten children born to his parents and he is the only one of the family now living. His oldest brother, John, served in the Union army during the Civil War, and his second oldest brother, Peyton, served in the Confederate army. These two brothers fought on opposite sides at the battle of Marshall, but did not know it until afterward. Peyton died at DuBall’s Bluff, Arkansas.
Mr. Earsom was reared in Audrain county, Missouri, and received the greater part of his education in the old log school house of that day and age. He came to Bates county in 1871 and settled in Pleasant Gap township which has since been his home. He at first bought eighty acres of land for which he paid $17.50 an acre, and later he acquired more land, but within the last few years he has sold some and now owns a valuable farm of one hundred forty-five acres. Mr. Earsom has practically retired and rents his farm.
On January 22, 1871, Mr. Earsom was united in marriage with Miss Celia J. Hukel, a native of Boone county, Missouri, where her parents settled at a very early date. To Mr. and Mrs. Earsom were born eight children, seven of whom are living, as follow: Isaac Newton, Pleasant Gap township; Letta, married Walter T. Little and they reside on the home place, they have two children, Robert Virgil and Leota; William M., Pleasant Gap; Anthony Marion, Butler; Minnie Bell, married Mark Spain, Pleasant Gap township; Rev. Charles Albertus, Golden City, Missouri; and Earnest Earl, Butler, Missouri. Mrs. Earsom departed this life February 7, 1915, aged sixty-nine years. She was a Christian woman and lived an exemplary life. She had been a consistent member of the Christian church for forty years, she and Mr. Earsom having joined the old Macedonian church in Audrain county in 1867, of which they were charter members.
Mr. Earsom saw many of the hardships of the pioneer days and like many others had a hard struggle to get a start in life, but he finally overcame difficulties and succeeded. When he was a young man he worked one year for a man in the northern part of the state and received $175 for the year’s work. During that year he split five thousand rails.
Bates county was wild and unsettled when Mr. Earsom came here, compared with its present state. At that time there was not a barn between his place and Butler. He often saw deer, and other wild game was plentiful.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ELLIOTT F. EDWARDS, an enterprising business man of Butler, is a representative of a pioneer family of Missouri. He was born in 1886 in Bates county on his father’s farm near Butler, a son of James P. and Leanna (Hines) Edwards. James P. Edwards was born June 12, 1838 in Nashville, Tennessee. He came West and located at Brunswick, Missouri in 1864. Mr. Edwards was a teamster by trade and a man of exceptional intelligence and initiative. He crossed the plains from Atchison, Kansas in 1865, and, in the same year, built the fourth residence in Pueblo, Colorado, hauled the first bell to Denver, Colorado, and one year later sold the first merchandise ever sold in Trinidad, Colorado. At Fort Garland, Colorado, Mr. Edwards was engaged in selling merchandise to the Indians, with the permission of Kit Carson. When James P. Edwards started in business at Fort Garland, he had but eighty dollars of his own and was in debt five thousand dollars. He had borrowed the latter sum of money in order to get a start in business and was paying five per cent interest monthly. Most men would have fallen beneath the weight of the burden and have given up the fight in despair, but it was not characteristic of James P. Edwards to shirk heavy responsibilities, to give up the fight. He worked hard. In four months time, he had earned thirty-two thousand dollars – and that was during the “hard times” of 1865. He hauled the boiler and set it up, which furnished the steam to run the mill where the lumber was sawed which was used to build Fort Lyon, Colorado. He received thirty-five hundred dollars freight at that time. Provisions were exceedingly high-priced at Fort Garland. Four pounds of bacon were worth five dollars, butter sold for one dollar and fifty cents a pound, and coffee commanded a price of one dollar and fifty cents. After a short sojourn in Brunswick, Missouri, Mr. Edwards came to Butler in February, 1870. He hauled the first rock used in foundation work in Salisbury, Missouri. He engaged in farming and stock raising in Bates county and became closely identified with the business interests of Butler. Mr. Edwards erected a number of the business buildings in Bates county. He was one of the directors of the Bates County National Bank and was connected with the Light, Water & Power Company. James P. Edwards was progressive and public-spirited and a “booster” for all enterprises having for their object the betterment and development of Butler and Bates county. His death on July 16, 1913 was universally lamented and mourned in this part of the state. Interment was made in the cemetery at Butler. Leanna (Hines) Edwards is a native of Brunswick, Missouri, a daughter of John S. and Nannie (Pollard) Hines. John S. Hines was a native of Keyesville, Virginia and of English descent. His father was a wealthy plantation owner, the proprietor of a vast tract of land in Prince Edward and Charlotte counties. He was the master of a large number of slaves. Nannie (Pollard) Hines was a native of Marysville, Virginia. To John S. and Nannie Hines were born six children: Edward, deceased; Richard, deceased; Thomas J., deceased; Sue, who was educated in an academy at Goldsboro, North Carolina, now residing at Butler, Missouri; Emily F., the wife of J.C. Congor, Macon, Georgia; Leanna, the widow of James P. Edwards, Butler, Missouri, the three daughters being the sole survivors of the family. The Pollards, as well as the Hines family, were wealthy plantation owners of Virginia. James P. and Leanna (Hines) Edwards were the parents of seven children: Lola, deceased; Lela, the wife of C.H. Conger, Washington, D.C.; Lula, the wife of M.S. Horn, Butler, Missouri; Lon L., a prosperous farmer, Butler, Missouri; Claude, a successful merchant, Oakland, California; Elmer, deceased; and Elliott F., the subject of this review. Mrs. Edwards, the widowed mother, resides at the present time in Butler.
Elliott F. Edwards obtained his education in the city schools of Butler. He began life for himself when he was twenty-one years of age, at first following the pursuits of agriculture. In 1914, Mr. Edwards entered the coal and transfer business at Butler, his office being located due north of the Missouri Pacific railway station, and from the beginning he has prospered. Mr. Edwards is as honest as the light and when he sells a ton of coal his customers know that they are receiving a ton of coal. He owns a nice farm of eighty acres of good land located northwest of Butler.
January 14, 1908, Elliott F. Edwards and Cleo Moore were united in marriage and to this union have been born two children: Elliott F., Jr., and Leomi. Mrs. Edwards is a daughter of J.M. and Naomi (Browning) Moore. J.M. Moore is a native of Pettis county and Mrs. Moore was born near Humboldt in Woodson county, Kansas. The Moores came to Bates county about thirteen years ago. J.M. and Naomi Moore are the parents of six children: Clara L., the wife of Clarence Harrison, Altona, Missouri; Cleo, the wife of Elliott F. Edwards, the subject of this review; Juanita, deceased; Ethel, deceased; John I., Butler, Missouri; and Roy V., Butler, Missouri. A strange affinity in dates occurs in the Moore and Edwards families. January 14, 1918, was the anniversary of the marriages of Mr. and Mrs. James P. Edwards, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Moore, and Mr. and Mrs. Elliott F. Edwards. The oldest child in both the Moore and Edwards families was a daughter and both girls were born on the same day of the same month.
In all his business transactions, as well as in his social relations, Elliott F. Edwards manifests unquestioned integrity and the pleasing demeanor of a gentleman, gaining by his unassuming, quiet manners and kindly personal bearing countless friends in Butler and Bates county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

HORACE PERRY EDWARDS – The life story of H.P. Edwards, of East Boone township, is that of a self-made man, who when he had achieved a sufficient competence, invested in land whereon he could always be certain of a comfortable and independent living and be free from want in his later years. Mr. Edwards has one of the most attractive and well kept farm plants in Bates county upon which he has resided since 1907. Since coming into possession of this farm of one hundred and sixty acres he has remodeled the home, adding substantial verandas, etc., and has built a modern barn, thirty-six feet square and ten feet to the square in addition to a barn which had been previously erected by other owners. He has expended five hundred dollars for wire fencing and generally enhanced the appearance and value of the place during the past ten years. During 1917 there were harvested on the place thirty-five acres of corn which yielded thirty bushels to the acre. Part of the Edwards land is rented out because his crippled condition will not permit of active, heavy farm labor on his part. At the present time he has fifteen head of cattle, six horses and a fine drove of forty-six head of sheep which are considered the best flock of Shropshire sheep in Bates county. His success in sheep breeding has been such as to determine him to engage in the breeding of thoroughbred Shropshires for the discerning trade.
H.P. Edwards was born in the city of Indianapolis in 1860 and is a son of Nathan and Cynthia (Swearingen) Edwards, natives of North Carolina. Nathan Edwards removed with his family to Indiana in 1833 and engaged in the contracting and building business which he followed for several years with signal success. It was he who erected the first union railroad depot in Indianapolis, and the building of this structure was followed by the erection of many other public buildings throughout the state under his supervision. Nathan Edwards employed upward of three hundred men in his building operations and had the reputation of being an honest, reliable and painstaking contractor who could be trusted to meet his obligations and perform his duties to the letter of his contracts. For a period of about five years he was engaged in the mercantile business. In 1862 he removed with his family to a small farm in Morgan county, Indiana which he purchased for a home. Nathan Edwards was born in 1812 and died in 1881. His wife was born in 1818 and died in 1885. They were the parents of three daughters and two sons, of whom but two are now living: Horace Perry, subject of this review; and Henry Tyson Edwards, born in 1856 and now residing in Harrisonville, Missouri.
H.P. Edwards came to Missouri with his mother in 1882 and the family located on a farm in Cass county. For the first two years he rented land in Cass county and in 1884 he came to Adrian, Bates county. From July, 1885 until the spring of 1887 he followed laboring in Adrian, and then entered the employ of Bryant & McDaniel as grain buyer, remaining in the employ of this firm for seven years. In 1892 he established a draying and transfer business in Adrian which was very successful. He conducted this business until 1898 and then bought a small farm of sixty-four acres adjoining Adrian on the south and turned over the draying business to his sons. He cultivated his Adrian farm until 1907 and then traded for a farm in East Boone township.
Mr. Edwards was married in 1881 to Anna E. Whitlem, who was born in Iowa and came to Cass county, Missouri, when a child with her parents, Robert and Sarah Whitlem, both of whom died in Bates county at the Edwards home. Both parents of Mrs. Edwards were born in England. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards have four children: Fred Richard, El Paso, Texas, a railroad conductor, who has had some exciting experiences in operating trains in Old Mexico during late years, and who was arrested by the Mexicans and held in jail for twelve hours on a trivial charge at one time; Arthur R., owner of two newspaper delivery routes in Kansas City, Missouri; Claude B., a rancher near Steamboat Springs, Colorado; Clarence W., attending the Adrian public schools.
Mr. Edwards is a Republican in politics and while a resident of Adrian held office as city councilman. He is a member of the Christian church, as is Mrs. Edwards. He is fraternally affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. During the session of the Sovereign Grand Lodge of the Odd Fellows in 1911, Mr. Edwards was an interested visitor and took great pleasure in going over old home scenes of his boyhood days. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards are among Bates county’s best and most patriotic citizens.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.W. EGGLESON, a prominent citizen of Bates county and a well-known, progressive business man of Butler, Missouri, is a native of Illinois. Mr. Eggleson was born January 4, 1859 in Adams county, Illinois, the eldest of four children born to his parents, Asa W. and Amy (Eddy) Eggleson, both of whom were natives of Jefferson county, New York. Asa W. Eggleson was born in 1813. He came from Illinois to Vernon county, Missouri in 1866 and located on land lying on the line between Bates and Vernon counties. Mr. Eggleson owned the land which is now the site of the town of Panama. At the time of the coming of the Egglesons to Missouri, this was all open prairie and Mr. Eggleson and Mr. Lucius Horr built the first two houses there. One could then drive through to Paola, Kansas, and not see one fence. At one time in the late sixties, when the farmers on the prairies had to go to mill driving to Pleasant Hill, Missouri or to Pleasanton, Kansas, Addie Robinson, a pioneer, made the trip for the neighborhood. Due to the slow methods of grinding, he was often detained several days waiting for the grist. J.W. Eggleson vividly recalls how the Egglesons existed on a ration of potatoes for three days or until Mr. Robinson’s return from the mill. He also remembers the days of chills and fever, when at times there would not be a family on the prairie but was afflicted with this malady of pioneer times. In 1881, Asa W. Eggleson moved to Cedar county, Missouri and there he died at Jericho Springs in 1885. Interment was made in the cemetery in Balltown in Vernon county. Mrs. Eggleson, mother of J.W., departed this life in 1861 and her remains were interred in the cemetery at Loraine, Illinois. J.W. Eggleson was left motherless when he was a child of two years of age. The following children were born to Asa W. and Amy Eggleston: J.W., the subject of this review; E.E., who is engaged in farming in Bates county, residing on Rural Route 6, Butler, Missouri; Maria A., the widow of F.W. Riddle, Kaw City, Oklahoma; and Amy, who died at the age of seventeen years.
J.W. Eggleson obtained his education in the public schools of Vernon county, Missouri. Until he was twenty-one years of age, Mr. Eggleson remained at home with his father. At that time he began farming on rented land, raising corn enough the first year to pay for his team of mules. Asa W. Eggleson gave to his two sons, J.W. and E.E., one hundred sixty acres of land, which was later found to be underlaid with coal. This land the Eggleson brothers sold to Charles Faler and then purchased eight acres of land in Charlotte township, Bates county, which farm E.E. Eggleson now owns, and one hundred sixty acres, which they afterward divided. J.W. Eggleson at present owns the homestead in Charlotte township and a farm comprising one hundred acres in West Point township. He was for many years engaged in farming and stock raising, when he moved from the farm to Butler in 1914 and entered the garage business, purchasing the McFarland garage located on South Main street. He sold his place of business to the Newman brothers in the autumn of 1915 and in July, 1917 the garage was burned.
In 1885, J.W. Eggleson and Anna Corlett were united in marriage. Mrs. Eggleson is a native of Leavenworth county, Kansas, a daughter of Christopher and Laura (Walker) Corlett. Mrs. Eggleson’s father was born on the Isle of Man in 1835 and in 1854 he emigrated from his native land and came to America. Mr. Corlett settled in Illinois and in that state was united in marriage with Miss Walker. Both father and mother died in Charlotte township, Bates county, to which they came in 1880, and their remains are buried in the cemetery known as the Morris cemetery in this county. J.W. and Anna Eggleson are the parents of five children: Willa, the wife of Bird Barr, whose death occurred in August, 1915; Pearl, the wife of Clarence Porter, of Charlotte township, Bates county; Orland, who married Sallie Simpson, of Butler, and to them has been born one child, a daughter, Anna Laurie; Bert and Frank, who are at home with their parents. The Eggleson home is in Butler at 211 West Fort Scott street.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.


LEWIS C. EICHLER
, farmer and stockman of Mound township, is one of the oldest and best-known pioneer citizens of Bates county. Mr. Eichler owns one of the best farms in the county upon which he has recently erected one of the handsomest residences to be seen on the countryside. His career in Bates county and Missouri extends over a long period of over fifty years, and his record has been a most honorable one. Mr. Eichler was born in St. Charles City, St. Charles county, Missouri, in 1836, a son of George and Mary (Weems) Eichler.
George Eichler, his father, was born in Germany, and when a young man, immigrated to America and settled in Baltimore, Maryland, where he followed his trade of skilled cabinet maker. After residing in Baltimore for several years, he removed to St. Charles county, Missouri. Soon after the territory of Kansas was thrown open to settlement he made the trip to that state in order to appease his hunger for a tract of land, and made a settlement near the city of Lawrence. Border warfare and the trouble between the slavery and anti-slavery advocates caused him to leave Kansas and settle in Bates county where he pre-empted a quarter section of government land which cost him one dollar and twenty-five cents an acre. Upon the outbreak of the Civil War it became unsafe for Southern families to reside in this county and when Order Number Eleven was issued in 1863 he removed with his family to Lafayette county, where his death occurred in 1864. The border troubles and the Civil War both combined to cause him to lose all of his possessions and he was left in destitute circumstances during his later years. He was father of twelve children, three sons and nine daughters. His wife died upon the homestead in Bates county in 1858 and is buried in the family burial place.
In the spring of 1861, Lewis C. Eichler enlisted in the Confederate Army in Colonel Rains’ Regiment and served during the war in Generals Parsons and Price’s Divisions. His first battle was at Lone Jack, Missouri, where he received a wound in the hand. He participated in the battles of Drywood, Oak Hill, and Helena, Arkansas. He took an active part in many minor engagements and skirmishes. The most important and greatest battle in which Mr. Eichler fought was at Prairie Grove and his period of service extended throughout the war in the states of Missouri, Louisiana, and Texas. After the war ended he remained in Arkansas in gainful employment until the fall of 1868.
In 1868, Mr. Eichler returned to the homestead which had been the home of the family prior to the war and set to rebuild what had been destroyed during the war time. Times were hard, money was scarce, but everyone was in the same plight and he managed somehow to get ahead and has these many years been engaged successfully in farming and stockraising. He is owner of two hundred acres of very fine land which is well improved, forty acres of which are located in Elkhart township. Mr. Eichler has specialized in the breeding of Durham cattle and has one of the finest herds of this breed in the county. Only recently he has finished the building of a splendid, new, modern residence, where he proposes to spend the remaining years of his long and fruitful life in comfort.
The marriage of Lewis C. Eichler and Sallie J. Early occurred May 18, 1876, and to this union were born four children: Lucie Lee, who resides at home with her parents; Harry, died at the age of two years; Charles, died at the age of four years; and John, cultivates the family acres. The mother of these children was born in Lafayette county, July 24, 1846, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Dean) Early, the former of whom was a native of Virginia and the latter of Kentucky. John Early was a wealthy slave holder and had a large estate at the outbreak of the Civil War but was ruined financially during the course of the conflict. He was a cousin of General Jubal A. Early, the noted Confederate commander of Civil War fame.
The life of this aged citizen has been spent usefully and productively in active pursuits. In addition to his farming activities he has followed the trade of carpenter more or less for many years and is skilled in this useful art, having learned his trade under the tutelage of his father. Mr. Eichler has always been allied with the Democratic party and served as justice of the peace for Mound township for four years. He and the members of his family are religiously associated with the Methodist church, South. Mr. Eichler recalls vividly the troublesome days of the border warfare and remembers many of the jay-hawkers who made raids into Missouri over the border. He remembers Colonel Johnson’s raid through Bates county, and states that Johnson’s men even cut down or destroyed the fruit trees which had been planted and carefully nurtured by the settlers. Johnson had nearly five hundred men in his command and this party left terror and desolation in their wake. When the Eichler family located in Bates county, the first postoffice was located at the old and historic town of Papinsville, which at that time was a government post. Mr. Eichler likewise remembers that some excellent apples grew on the Mission grounds at Papinsville and he always ate of the fruit in season when going to Papinsville to rade. He states that a French man named Francis Lorain was the first actual settler at Papinsville, and this man kept a store and trading post. Mr. Eichler always kept on good terms with the nomadic Indians and found them harmless, but badly given to petty thieving, necessitating constant watchfulness on the part of the housewives, being likewise everlasting beggars. The milling of the settlers was done at Papinsville and also at Balltown, the first settler at that place being a Scotchman named McNeal who conducted a trading post. For a number of years he preserved a copy of the first newspaper published in Bates county, called the “Bates County Standard,” but this paper was destroyed when the Eichler residence was burned some time ago.
When Lewis C. Eichler came to Bates county the country was largely an unpeopled wilderness in which wild game abounded. There were herds of deer, great flocks of prairie chickens and wild turkeys. There were no roads and the settler followed trails across the prairie and blazed tracks through the woods. He has witnessed the growth of this county and taken an active and influential part in its upbuilding. There are few of the real old pioneers left to tell the tales of the early days, and of these, Mr. Eichler is one of the most honored.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.P. ELLINGTON, a progressive farmer and stockman of Mount Pleasant township, is the owner of one of the best stock farms in Bates county. Mr. Ellington is widely known as a successful horseman and breeder of mules, cattle, and hogs. He is a native of Bath county, Kentucky. He was born June 30, 1873, a son of Joseph G. and Alice (Wyatt) Ellington, both of whom were also natives of Kentucky. Joseph G. Ellington came to Missouri in 1882 and settled in Bates county on a farm in Pleasant Gap township. He bought at the time of his settlement here a tract of eighty acres of land, to which he later added forty acres, a place located twelve miles from Butler, and for ten years was engaged in tobacco growing. Joseph G. and Alice Ellington were the parents of five children: Ed, Butler, Missouri; Jane, the wife of Robert Fondrum, of Gardner, Texas; J.P., the subject of this review; Lee, who is now the owner of the Ellington homestead; and Fannie, the wife of Everett Morilla, deceased. The mother died November 13, 1901, and the father joined her in death August 12, 1917. Both parents were laid to rest in Myers cemetery in Hudson township. Mr. and Mrs. Ellington were well-known and respected throughout Pleasant Gap township and they have been sadly missed from the number of good citizens of Bates county.
At High Point, one of the district schools of Hudson township, J.P. Ellington obtained his education. When he was twenty-one years of age, he left home and moved to his own farm, which lies one mile south of his present country place. Mr. Ellington purchased the latter farm, which comprises two hundred fifty acres of land, in 1910, a place formerly owned by Joe T. Smith, of Butler. In addition, Mr. Ellington owns a tract of forty acres of land in Summit township. The home farm is situated one and three-fourth miles east of Butler and lies partly in Mount Pleasant and partly in Summit townships. This is an excellent stock farm nicely located, well watered, and splendidly improved. The residence is a house of seven rooms, built on the highest point of the farm. There are three different sets of improvements on the Ellington place. With the residence is a large barn, which is used for stock. On the south tract, there are two barns, and on the forty acres in Summit township there are also good improvements, including a residence and well-constructed barn. Mr. Ellington deals extensively in horses and mules, but he also gives some attention to raising cattle and hogs. He has about the average number of cattle and a herd of hogs. One hundred acres of the farm are in pasture and one hundred acres are rich “bottom land.”
June 9, 1897, J.P. Ellington and Alice Morilla, a daughter of Charles and Emma (Thomas) Morilla, formerly of Lone Oak township and now of California, were united in marriage. To Mr. and Mrs. Ellington have been born three children: Edna, who is now in her senior year at the Butler High School; Virgil, a student in the Butler High School; and Harold, a pupil in the grades.
Mr. Ellington is a man of untiring industry, which is equaled only by his capacity to accomplish the vast amount of work he undertakes.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler

T.D. EMBREE, ex-clerk of the circuit court of Bates county, Missouri, was born December 27, 1867, in Bates county, a son of M.L. and Alice (Hulse) Embree, one of the pioneer families of this part of Missouri. M.L. Embree was born in 1841 in Pettis county, Missouri, at the Embree homestead located twelve miles west of Sedalia, a son of Thomas and Elvira (Butler) Embree. Thomas Embree came with his family to Pettis county, Missouri, in the early forties and in 1849 they settled in Bates county on a tract of land in Spruce township, which had been entered from the government by Samuel Pyle, to which was added eighty acres of prairie land entered by his wife. Thomas and Elvira (Butler) Embree were the parents of the following children: M.L., the father of T.D., the subject of this review; M.J., who died in Canada in 1903; and Mrs. Lucy A. Alexander, who resides in the state of Washington.
M.L. Embree was reared amid the stirring scenes of the pioneer period in Bates county, experiencing in his youth all the privations and hardships of life in a new country. He walked three miles to attend school, which was held in a little log school house, the only one in the township. John Reeder, from near Pleasant Gap, was the “master” and in the rude cabin M.L. Embree attended one term. There was a puncheon floor and puncheon benches and a large open fire-place in the room – the sum total of equipment and comforts. Mr. Embree attended school a few months during the winter seasons, the remainder of the time being devoted to hard labor on his mother’s farm. He grew to manhood strong of body and with a clear mind, he proved to be a most valuable assistant to his mother on the home place. He recalls the grief of the family upon receiving the news that his grandfather, Martillus Embree, had died on the way to California in 1850, his death being due to cholera. This was the time of the wild rush to the gold fields of that state and more than one household was grief-stricken in those days, for thousands died on the way there and the bones of human beings, horses, and oxen marked the pathway of the goldseekers. His father, Thomas Embree, died in 1852. Mrs. Embree survived her husband forty-three years, when in 1895 she died in the state of Washington.
In 1861, M.L. Embree enlisted with the Confederates at Johnstown, Missouri, and he served throughout the Civil War in Parsons’ Brigade, Sixteenth Missouri Infantry, under General Price. Mr. Embree took an active and important part in the battle of Carthage on July 5, 1861, and in the engagements of his company in Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana. He was in Louisiana when General Lee surrendered in 1865. When the war had ended, Mr. Embree returned to Bates county, Missouri, and again took up his residence at the home place in Spruce township, where he resided until 1893, at which time he left Missouri to make his future home in Garfield county, Oklahoma, and in that state he has ever since resided.
The marriage of M.L. Embree and Alice Hulse was solemnized in 1866. Alice (Hulse) Embree is a daughter of Daniel and Catherine (Cloud) Hulse, pioneers from Kentucky, who settled in Spruce township in the early days. Mr. Hulse was a Confederate veteran of the Civil War, having served two years in the Southern army. To M.L. and Alice Embree have been born eight children, seven of whom are now living: T.D., the subject of this review; R.L., who died in Oklahoma, December 31, 1916; Mrs. Lizzie A. Barton, Grapevine, Texas; Mrs. Laura B. Cole, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Anna Fleming, Comanche county, Oklahoma; Mrs. Viola Woodson, Hunter, Oklahoma; Mrs. Ida Weger, Comanche county, Oklahoma; and George, Garfield county, Oklahoma.
In 1849, in the boyhood days of M.L. Embree, he remembers that there were far more Indians than white settlers in Bates county, that deer and wild game of all kinds abounded, and that hunting was an occupation more than a pastime of the pioneers. He states that Major Glass, the Kennedys, and the Herrells were the only settlers on the prairie between Spruce township and Butler, though the city was not yet founded, the court house being located at Harrisonville. Mr. Embree has lived to see the removal of the county seat from Harrisonville to Papinsville and thence to Butler and the building of the three court houses in Butler. He was a witness of the first legal hanging in Bates county at Papinsville. Doctor Nottingham was hanged at the county seat for the murder of his wife. M.L. Embree is now seventy-six years of age and still enjoys fairly good health and possesses a remarkably retentive memory of early-day names, characters, and events.
T.D. Embree is the only member of his father’s family now residing in Bates county, Missouri. He is the oldest of the eight children born to his parents and now the only one left in Summit township. He served four years as circuit clerk of Bates county, his term of office beginning January 1, 1907, and after retiring from this position he bought his present country home, a farm comprising eighty acres of land, known as the Orear farm, located six miles east of Butler in Summit township.
In 1894, T.D. Embree and Cora Teeter were united in marriage. Mrs. Embree is a daughter of Darius and Emma (Abbott) Teeter, of Spruce township. Mrs. Teeter died in 1901 and her remains were laid to rest in Cloud cemetery. Mr. Teeter still makes his home on the farm in Spruce township. Mr. and Mrs. T.D. Embree are the parents of two children; one child died in infancy; and Alice Catherine, who was born in 1908, at home with her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Embree are widely and favorably known in this section of the state and they are numbered among the best and most valued families of Bates county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

HERMAN ENGELHARDT
– The Engelhardt farm, widely known as “Pleasant View Farm” located in Charlotte township, is one of the finest and most productive agricultural plants in this section of Missouri. It consists of three hundred twenty acres of land, every square yard of which serves some useful purpose. The residence on the place was erected by the proprietor in 1905 and consists of seven good-sized rooms. Eight years later, in 1913, Mr. Engelhardt built one of the finest barn structures in Bates county, a building 48 x 58 feet and forty-eight feet in height, with a gambrel-roof, the loft underneath this roof having a storage capacity of ninety tons of hay and forage. The building with the cow barn and silo cost Mr. Engelhardt something over two thousand two hundred dollars to build. He is extensively engaged in raising Red Polled cattle and Poland China hogs and does considerable grain farming, most of the grain produced by his fertile acres being fed to livestock on the place. This farm produced the champion yield of seventy bushels of oats to the acre in 1917 and also produced nearly three thousand bushels of corn. The wheat crop averaged twenty bushels to the acre, one of the best, if not the best, yields in Bates county. One hundred tons of hay were cut from the meadows last year. Mr. Engelhardt employs plenty of help to operate his large acreage and believes in spending money unstintedly on his land in order to make money. His methods of cultivation are such as to increase rather than diminish soil fertility and each year has seen his prosperity increase as a result of such wise measures.
Mr. Engelhardt was born in 1858 in Saxony, Germany, a son of Frederick and Collene Engelhardt who lived all their days in the land of their birth. Herman Engelhardt served for a time in the Germany army and in his youth learned the trade of nail-maker. This was in the days when nails were laboriously made by hand and Herman became skilled in the art of nail making, being able by a few strokes of the hammer to turn out quickly and efficiently a nail of any size. He immigrated to America in 1882 and obtained employment in the Rolling Mills at Rosedale, a suburb of Kansas City, where he remained for a time and then located in Douglas county, Missouri. In this county, he homesteaded a tract of government land and by the hardest kind of labor cleared and placed in cultivation one hundred twenty acres. He started his career as a farmer with little or no means at his disposal and in less than eighteen years created a salable property in Douglas county from what had before been a wilderness. He spent his winters in chopping down the trees and preparing his ground for cultivation and in order to provide for his family he did railroad work during the summer seasons. In 1901, he traded his Douglas county farm for a tract of one hundred acres in Charlotte township to which he has since added other acreage until he now owns three hundred twenty acres. Mr. Engelhardt gives great credit to his faithful wife and the members of his family for assistance in achieving his marked success.
While living in Kansas City, he was married in 1883, to Pertha Glass, who was also born in Saxony, Germany, and to this marriage have been born five living children: Paul H., a farmer living in Charlotte township; Lena, wife of Francis Gasch, a native of Austria, Marshall county, Kansas; Ida, who married Fred Nowatna, Piatt county, Kansas; William, at home; and Elsie, also at home with her parents. Politically, Mr. Engelhardt is independent and votes as his conscience and judgment dictate. He is a member of the Christian church, and Mrs. Engelhardt and children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Engelhardt is one of the most progressive and enterprising citizens of Bates county, one who has good and just right to be proud of his fine farm and the success which has come to him through his own efforts and with no other assistance than the cheerfully given by the members of his family who have all worked together harmoniously for the common good of the family. Bates county is likewise proud of such citizens as he, men that have demonstrated that successful tillage of her soil depends to the greatest extent upon the individual himself.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE H. EVANS, pioneer, and prosperous farmer of Shawnee township, was born March 20, 1857, on the old Evans homestead now owned by Henry Baunke, and which was entered by his grandfather, Elisha Evans, during the early pioneer days of the thirties of the settlement period of Bates county. Elisha Evans was a native of Virginia and made a settlement in Missouri, in the early twenties, residing in Lafayette county prior to making his location in Bates county. The father of George H. Evans was John Evans, born in Lafayette county, Missouri in 1820 and practically reared in Bates county on the pioneer homestead of the Evans family. After his marriage with Louisiana Glass he continued to reside on the Evans place and made his home here until his death in 1897. He was widely and favorably known throughout Bates county and ably managed his fine farm of ninety acres in this county. Mr. Evans was of the true pioneer type, hospitable to the core, and always willing to give the stranger a bed and a place at his table. Whatever he possessed he was willing to share with his fellows, kindly disposed toward his fellow-men and a good, law-abiding citizen. During the Civil War period he removed with his family to Pettis county and made his home there near Sedalia until the war closed. He then returned to his home in Bates county. John and Louisiana Evans were parents of the following children: William A., Sheridan, Kansas; Joel, deceased; Mrs. Parnesia Jane Wainscott, Barber county, Kansas; George H., subject of this review; Nancy and Verilla and Sarah Ellen, deceased; S.P., Butler, Missouri; Mrs. Missouri Greer; and Mrs. Lovina Greer. John Evans was a veteran of the Mexican War.
The mother of the foregoing children was a native of Kentucky and a daughter of George W. Glass, a pioneer of Bates county who purchased a homestead in Summit township and also entered government land. Before the outbreak of the Civil War he owned a large tract of land in this county, but later in life he removed to St. Clair county, Missouri, where he died.
The early education of George H. Evans was received in school district Number 1 of Shawnee township, which was located on the Evans farm and located within two hundred yards of the home. This school house was built of logs and was very primitive in its furnishings. Mr. Evans remained at home and assisted his parents until he was twenty-five years of age. He farmed on his own account and in 1883 he bought his present home farm. At the time of the purchase there was but a small house upon the place. During the years that Mr. Evans has resided on his farm he has added to his holdings until he is owner of two hundred acres of the best improved farm land in his section of the county. He has enlarge the residence and practically built his home in 1895. The barn upon his home place was built in 1893. Mr. Evans is engaged is general farming and stock raising.
In 1881, Mr. Evans was married to Mary V. Ferguson, a daughter of Morris and Rebecca Ferguson, of Johnson county, Missouri. Five children have been born to this marriage: Jesse Ora, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Pearl M. Moore, Shawnee township; Mrs. Minnie M. Crook, Johnstown, Missouri; Mrs. Iva B. Hays, Spruce township; John C., at home with his parents.
The old Evans homestead in Shawnee township was erected in 1859 and was built of lumber hauled by John Evans from Westport, Missouri. It is the oldest pioneer home in this section of Bates county still standing in a good state of preservation. In the days of Mr. Evans’ boyhood there were many deer on the plains and he recalls seeing herds of fifteen grazing along the streams. A favorite greyhound of his ran down and caught a deer on Fishing creek in 1868. Wild turkeys were plentiful and fishing was excellent, especially in Fishing creek, which was so named because of the fine sport it afforded for the disciples of Isaac Walton. At that period there were no systems of roads and highways and when a boy, Mr. Evans could ride straight across country to Butler without passing a house or fence on the way. Among the “old timers” whom he remembers were Uncle Johnny Green, Uncle Mose Johnson, Joseph Reeder, Austin Reeder, and Henry France. The nearest neighbors were three miles away and visiting was an occasion long to be remembered, for the pioneers were hospitable and always pleased to entertain their friends, neighbors or strangers who were made welcome and treated to the best the home afforded.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

 


 

Return to

Bates County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.