Welcome to
Bates County
Missouri


Biographies
~ F ~


GEORGE FALLOON, late prominent resident of Mound township, Bates county, was born in Toronto, Canada, April 3, 1852. He was the son of James and Mary Ann (Frazier) Falloon, both of whom were natives of Canada and of Irish and English descent, respectively. James Falloon received a good education in Canada and learned the trade of carpenter and builder. He began his successful career as a contractor and builder in his native country and was possessed of a considerable fortune when he moved from Toronto to Wheeling, West Virginia. He became a builder of bridges with headquarters at Wheeling and had charge of the erection of the great bridge crossing the Ohio river at Wheeling. No task was too great for him to attempt, and he lost and made large sums of money in his various ventures. Some years later he located at Athens, Ohio and was engaged in the erection of public buildings and in railroad construction in that vicinity. He became one of the prominent citizens of Athens and was a stanch and firm friend of the Ohio University which was located at Athens. He was father of a family of ten children, eight sons and two daughters, three of whom are yet living. Six of the children of James Falloon died within two years past. A brother of George Falloon, who was a widely known lawyer in Nebraska, Hon. Edward Falloon, died at his home in Falls City, Nebraska, in April, 1917. At the time of his death he was the dean of the Richardson county, Nebraska bar and was admittedly one of the ablest attorneys in Nebraska. His son, Virgil Falloon, is now county judge of Richardson county.
George Falloon was educated in the public schools of Athens, Ohio, and received a classical and scientific education in the Ohio University, located in his home city. He educated himself for the profession of civil engineering and made it his life work. He served as county surveyor of Athens county and was associated with his father in his contracting business for some years. He took a prominent and active part in politics of his native state and served a term as a member of the Ohio State Senate, being a member of the Seventy-second Ohio General Assembly, 1896-1897. Like his father before him, he was a strong friend of the Ohio University, and while a member of the Ohio Senate, he introduced and has passed a bill providing for the permanent endowment of the university. He had previously established a lumber business at Athens, and he conducted this business until 1898, at which time he sold out his holdings in his home city and moved to Charleston, West Virginia, and engaged in the lumber business in that city for a few years. Some time during the eighties he had invested in a tract of about one thousand acres of land in Bates county, part of which is now owned by his daughter, Mrs. Miller, who owns six hundred fifty-seven acres of the original tract. In 1901 he came to Bates county and took charge of his large estate, maintaining a home and business in Kansas City, as well as a residence in Mound township, near Adrian. He conducted a loan business in Kansas City in addition to looking after his farming interests.
Mr. Falloon was married on December 29, 1875 to Susan E. Brown, a native of Athens county, Ohio, and this union was blessed with one child, a daughter, Jessie Brown, wife of A.A. Miller of Mound township, concerning whom a sketch is given elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. Miller was educated in the public schools of Athens, and at the Ohio University, following which she studied in the Cincinnati College of Music, and the National Park Seminary, specializing in vocal and instrumental music. For several years she was very much interested in church work and became widely and favorably known as a soloist of ability. She was first married to Charles W. Cooley and after the marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Cooley removed to Grainfield, Kansas, and resided on a ranch. Mr. Cooley died at Grainfield, September 25, 1905 and Mrs. Cooley conducted the ranch for six years after his death. An account of her marriage with Mr. A.A. Miller and subsequent movements is given in connection with Mr. Miller’s sketch. She is mother of one child by her first marriage, Susan Falloon Cooley, born January 29, 1900.
George Falloon died May 7, 1915. His wife had preceded him in death over twenty years, her death occurring August 16, 1894. George Falloon was a successful business man, intelligent, broadminded, and widely read, a citizen who took a keen interest in the public questions of the day and was a writer of force and pronounced ability. He was opposed to the single tax theory and wrote a number of pamphlets and books giving his ideas upon the subject and setting forth valid reasons for not being in favor of the single tax idea. He also campaigned against the single tax and delivered many addresses in opposition to the plan. He was possessor of a mind which was unusually brilliant and was a close student of governmental affairs. While a resident of Athens he was constantly striving to advance the growth of his home city. He was a great reader of the standard authors and kept abreast of current literature. His diversion was in hunting and fishing and he enjoyed many fishing and hunting expeditions during his life. His favorite book was the Holy Bible of which he made a deep and thorough study, his researches only serving to confirm his belief in Christianity. Possessing a very retentive memory, when he became interested in any subject, he made a thorough and exhaustive study of its underlying principles and easily remembered his readings. George Falloon was a member of the Presbyterian church and was affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. “Falloon Heights,” the splendid country estate which he founded and built up, is located in the northern part of Mound township, near the town of Adrian. The beautiful residence is situated almost in the middle of the tract which is two miles in length and one-half mile wide.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM FRANK FINKLANG,
of Prairie township, secretary and treasurer of the Farmers’ Equity Union of Rockville, a well-known and prosperous farmer and stockman, was born November 9, 1878 at Hermann, Missouri, a son of Jacob and Minnie (Vogelsang) Finklang, natives of Germany. Jacob Finklang came to the United States in 1853 and located at Hermann, Missouri, where he was married in 1861 and resided until 1882, when he moved with his family to Bates county and followed his trade of blacksmithing at Papinsville, then a flourishing town. Mr. Finklang enlisted in the Civil War in 1861 at St. Louis and served under General Lyons, who fell in the battle of Wilson’s Creek. The day before the engagement, the regiment in which Jacob Finklang was serving was sent to Jefferson City to guard the capital and thus he was not in the battle. He served faithfully and well for twenty-nine months, when he was honorably discharged and he returned to his home at Hermann, Missouri, whence he came to Bates county. Mrs. Finklang, mother of William Frank, died at Hermann. Mr. Finklang was again married, his second wife being Mrs. Mary Bollweg, to whom he was wedded in 1890. He died March 4, 1918, and his widow resides at Rockville, Missouri. Interment was made for Jacob Finklang in the cemetery of the German Reformed Church in Prairie township, of which he was a highly respected member and earnest worker since 1890. Besides his widow, Jacob Finklang left the following children: Bertha, the wife of Briska Siedler, of Hermann, Missouri; Henry, who is in the employ of the Santa Fe Railway Company at Dodge City, Kansas; William Frank, the subject of this review; Ludwig, a well-to-do farmer and stockman of Pleasant Gap township, Bates county, Missouri; Mary, the wife of Albert Kaepili, of Meridian, Mississippi; Lena, who is now taking a course in nursing at St. Joseph, Missouri; and Anna, who resides at home with her mother in Rockville, Missouri.
In the public schools of Bates county, William Frank Finklang obtained his elementary education, which was later supplemented by two years’ college work at Central Wesleyan College, Warrenton, Missouri. After leaving college, Mr. Finklang entered the employ of the Simmons Hardware Company at St. Louis, Missouri, and for two and a half years remained with this company, after which he was employed by the Rock Island Railway Company at Forsyth Junction, St. Louis, Missouri, for five and a half years. He then settled on his present farm of eighty acres, one and a half miles northwest of Prairie City. Mr. Finklang is the owner of a splendid farm and he is successfully engaged in raising cattle and hogs and in general farming.
December 27, 1903, William Frank Finklang and Frederika Schapeler were united in marriage. Mrs. Finklang is a daughter of Ferdinand and Jacobine (Kauffman) Schapeler, of Prairie township, Bates county, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Finklang have been born five children, four of whom are now living: Calvin, Ella, Meta, Pauline, and Paul, who died in infancy.
Mr. Finklang manifests a most commendable interest in civic and political affairs and he has capably filled the office of assessor of Prairie township for three terms, or six years. He is secretary and treasurer and one of the members of the directorate of the Farmers’ Equity Union of Rockville, Missouri, a company composed of ninety-eight stockholders organized February 1, 1915, proprietor of the Farmers Elevator at Rockville. The present capital stock of the Farmers’ Equity Union is sixty-five hundred dollars. The shares are valued at twenty-five dollars each and no one may hold more than eight shares. This company is growing and prospering to a marked degree and is now one of the foremost grain firms in Bates county. Politically, Mr. Finklang is a stanch Republican.
William Frank Finklang is an enterprising American, of progressive spirit and stands for everything which promises the betterment of his county and community. Mr. Finklang has had a wide experience in business affairs and seldom engages in enterprises which do not eventually redound to his advantage, thus proving his judgment sound and discriminating, his knowledge of men keen, his endowment of good common sense plentiful.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

AUGUST FISCHER – The “Fischer Farm,” located two and a half miles south of the village of Pleasant Gap in the township of the same name, is one of the best and most productive in Bates county. The house and buildings are well located upon a sloping hillside from which every acre of the farm can be overlooked – an ideal setting for a farm home. This fine farm comprises two hundred forty acres of valuable land, the cultivation of which yields its owner a good income. All the buildings are the handiwork of the proprietor, August Fischer, who has profitably combined the trade of carpenter and builder with the vocation of farming. Unlike the shoemaker and the painter, whose children are unshod and whose house is left unpainted, Mr. Fischer used his skill and genius in erecting as his own domicile one of the best farm residences in Bates county and the other buildings grouped around about are also kept in a good state of repair. His big barn, built in 1900, measures 32 x 60 feet with a height of sixteen feet to the square. He has a substantial corn crib, hog house, granary and a machine shed, chicken house and hog houses – the buildings on the farm place forming a little village all in themselves. Probably the most valuable adjunct to the farming operations is a never failing well which was drilled to a depth of two hundred forty-six feet, the water being raised by wind-mill power, and the underground stream having a steady flow of over one gallon each minute. Mr. Fischer carries on general farming and stock raising.
August Fischer was born May 17, 1863, in Germany, the son of Louis and Johanna (Niedenmeier) Fischer, natives of Germany, who came to America in 1880 and made a settlement in Pleasant Gap township, where Louis Fischer died on January 29, 1893. Louis and Johanna Fischer were parents of nine children: Louis, Fred, and Augusta Steiner, deceased; Charles, August, Mrs. Caroline Wittee, Henry, William, Mrs. Geyeta Halwig. August Fischer came to America in 1879. August Fischer came to Bates county in the spring of 1879 and ten years later he made his first purchase of land, investing his savings in eighty acres of land, known as the “Louis Fischer Farm.” Prosperity has smiled upon him, and by means of hard work, good management and thrift he has added another quarter section to the original home place. Mr. Fischer learned the trade of carpenter and builder when a young man and he plied his trade in many parts of Bates county, his mechanical ability enabling him to turn many hundreds of dollars into his purse, and was of great help to him in making a good start in Bates county. In addition to his home farm of two hundred forty acres, Mr. Fischer is owner of a tract of sixty-two and a half acres in Rockville township.
On September 25, 1887, August Fischer and Miss Mary Kern, of Rockville, born October 2, 1863, near Humboldt, Kansas, were united in marriage. She is a daughter of Martin Kern, who died in 1899 and is buried in Prairie City cemetery. Her mother resides at Rockville. The Kerns located in Bates county in 1869. Mr. and Mrs. August Fischer have children as follow: Herman, a farmer in Mt. Pleasant township; Caroline, wife of R.F. Davis, Hudson township; Willie died at the age of eleven years; Yetta, wife of Joseph Bowers, Rockville township; Augusta, at home with her parents; Sophia, at home.
Since coming to Bates county thirty-eight years ago, Mr. Fischer has risen to become one of the leading and most substantial citizens of this county. His first purchase of eighty acres was made on time – his beginning as a farmer having been practically made without capital. Diligence, careful management, good judgment, and unfailing optimism in hard times have enabled him to forge ahead and become well to do. He is one of the leaders in his township and is president of the Pleasant Gap Boosters Club, an organization formed among the best people of his neighborhood by Mr. Fischer and others for the purpose of advancing the social and business welfare of the neighborhood in general. This club is a very popular and busy concern and is behind the project for the erection of the Community Hall at Pleasant Gap.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

CHARLES L. FISK,
the head of the amusement business in Butler, owner and manager of the Butler Opera House, an active member of the Butler Commercial Club, is one of Bates county’s most progressive citizens, one who is known far beyond the confines of this part of the state. Mr. Fisk was born in Carrollton, Missouri in 1875, a son of Tilford Lewis and Caroline (Albert) Fisk, natives of Kentucky. His mother died when he was a babe three weeks of age and the boy was chiefly reared by his grandmother, Mrs. Martha (Medcalf) Fisk. At the age of fourteen years, Charles L. Fisk came to Bates county to make his home with his father, who resided on a farm four miles east of Butler and with whom he remained two years. The young man was then apprenticed to a merchant at Carrollton and later was employed on the section of the Santa Fe railway. Afterward, Mr. Fisk had the opportunity he had always longed for to acquire a knowledge of music and started on a career which has taken him to every capital and leading city in the United States.
For two and a half years, Charles L. Fisk was in the employ of the Dain Mower Manufacturing Company at Ottumwa, Iowa. With this company, he received his start in music, with the Dain Mower Manufacturing Company’s band, and Mr. Fisk has kept up his work in music for the past fifteen years. He is the present capable leader of the Butler band, one of the best in Missouri, a band that has never missed a contest, the winner of six first prizes in competition with such bands as the Colorado Midland, the Marshall, the Topeka, Kansas, and the Gownley’s bands, the last named of Ottawa, Kansas.
In 1890, Mr. Fisk located at Butler. For the past five years, he has charge of the Butler Opera House and for the last twelve months has been the owner and manager. He has followed the music and amusement business practically all his life and has been in all the capital cities and principal business centers of the country in pursuit of his vocation. Mr. Fisk is at the head of the Lyceum Course of Butler, which puts on an eleven-hundred-and-twenty-five-dollar course of entertainments annually, bringing to the city the best talent to be found in the United States. On November 5, 1917, Mr. Fisk gave a band contest, in which all the bands, except the Butler band, of Bates county were eligible to compete and had as guest at the Opera House that night Ex-President William H. Taft.
In the Spanish American War, Charles L. Fisk was in charge of the Sixth Infantry band of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee’s command. Mr. Fisk was commissioned by Gov. Lon V. Stevens as captain and aid-de-camp to serve on the staff of Brigadier-General H.C. Clark and he holds an honorable discharge from the United States Government.
November 17, 1896, Charles L. Fisk and Mabel Jenkins, a daughter of J.R. Jenkins, president of the Peoples Bank of Butler, were united in marriage. Mrs. Fisk died November 26, 1899. Mr. Fisk was united in marriage with Leta Van Doren, of Pontiac, Illinois, on December 6, 1906 and they reside in Butler at the Opera House block. Mr. and Mrs. Fisk are widely known and universally respected.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

E.D. FITZGERALD – The career of him whose name forms the caption of this review is that of a self-made man who in the course of a few years has accomplished as much and more than the average individual does in a life time of endeavor. He is one of those excellent citizens of Bates county who came here from an adjoining state and has taken his position as an important member of the civic body of the county. E.D. Fitz Gerald, owner of a splendid farm of two hundred and forty acres in section 21, Howard township, was born at Chetopa, Kansas, in 1871, and was a son of William G. and Martha (Robinson) Fitz Gerald.
William Fitz Gerald, his father, was a native of Ireland of Scotch-Irish parentage who married Martha Robinson, a native of London, England, and soon after the marriage immigrated to America in 1868. They were early settlers in the state of Kansas where Mr. Fitz Gerald was engaged in banking. For a number of years he was cashier of a bank at Chetopa, in Miami county, Kansas. He died in 1873. To William and Martha Fitz Gerald were born the following children: Edward D. Fitz Gerald and Geraldine E. Fitz Gerald.
E.D. Fitz Gerald was reared and educated in Kansas and early in life took up the vocation of agriculturist. He came to Bates county, Missouri, in 1899 and for some years worked at farm labor. He was industrious and savings of his earnings and after his marriage in 1901 he began renting land. He leased the farm which he now owns, for a period of seven years and then purchased it. Since coming into possession of the property he has added several substantial improvements, a house, a barn, and a large silo. During the past year he has harvested sixty acres of corn which yielded an average of forty bushels to the acre and has sown fifty acres to wheat. He sells from his place an average of seventy heads of hogs annually and other products which yield him a good income.
Mr. Fitz Gerald was married December 24, 1901, to Miss Rose Ann White, who was born in Vernon county, Missouri, a daughter of Cass and Eva (Benham) White, natives of New York, who immigrated to Missouri in 1872 and made a settlement in Vernon county, where Mr. White became a successful farmer and stockman. Mr. White died in 1912 and his widow makes her home in Vernon county. Seven children have been born to E.D. and Rose Ann Fitz Gerald, as follow: Beulah Anna, aged fifteen years; Wayne Miles, aged thirteen; Ullis James, eleven years of age; Charles Bronson, ten years old; David Arnold, aged five years; Hattie May, who died January 16, 1911, at the age of one year and two months; Edith Pauline, four year of age.
Mr. Fitz Gerald is a Democrat in politics and takes a keen interest in civic and educational matters, having been a strong advocate of the inauguration of the consolidated school system, he being one of the school directors, which has provided transportation and graded school facilities for the children of Howard township at Hume, Missouri. He and Mrs. Fitz Gerald are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and contribute of their time and means to the furtherance of religious works. Mr. Fitz Gerald is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and Domestic Workers, and Mrs. Fitz Gerald is affiliated with the Domestic Workers (Royal Neighbors). Both are popular and highly esteemed in their home community where they are valued and useful citizens.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler

JOSEPH A. FLAMMANG, the efficient highway engineer and county surveyor of Bates county, Missouri, is one of the widely and favorably known, young citizens of Butler. Mr. Flammang is a native of Henry county. He was born in 1887 at Montrose, a son of N. and Margaret Flammang, who were the parents of six children, as follow: Mrs. Charles Ingram, Franklin, Kansas; N. Flammang, Jr., deceased; Nora, Rich Hill, Missouri; Mrs. M.J. Sturdevant, Herington, Kansas; Joseph A., the subject of this review; and Mary, who died in childhood at the age of four years. N. Flammang, Sr., is a native of Luxemburg and in the old country had mastered the stonemason’s trade. He emigrated from his native land about 1873 and came to America, locating first in Minnesota, from which state he moved to Texas, whence he came to Missouri and located at Montrose in 1887. In 1889, the senior Flammang settled in Rich Hill, where he is now residing. During the active years of his long life, which has spanned three score and sixteen years, N. Flammang, Sr. followed his trade as stonemason in connection with farming in his early manhood, but for many years prior to his retirement he was engaged in coal mining. He has never sought or desired official distinction, but has been content to pursue the even tenor of his way in life as a stonemason, farmer, or coal miner, doing good in a quiet, unostentatious manner whenever opportunity presented itself and measuring up to the highest ideals of American citizenship.
Joseph A. Flammang obtained his elementary education in the public schools of Rich Hill, Missouri. He is a graduate of Missouri University in the class of 1910, completing the four years’ course in civil engineering and graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Science. Upon leaving the university, Mr. Flammang accepted a position with the Great Northern Railway Company at Wellington, Washington, which place he held one year, when he was appointed highway engineer of Bates county, Missouri in February, 1911 and was thus obliged to resign his former position. In the election of 1912, Joseph A. Flammang was elected county surveyor of Bates county and in the election of 1916 was re-elected, continuing to satisfactorily fill both positions, that of highway engineer and county surveyor, and, in addition to his official duties, he was employed as chief engineer of the Marais des Cygnes River Drainage project, a ditch which was completed in 1914. The main ditch is twenty-three miles in length and there are seven or eight miles of laterals. Mr. Flammang himself planned the Athol and Lone Oak systems.
Mr. Flammang is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of Butler. The true western spirit of progress and enterprise is strikingly exemplified in the busy life of Joseph A. Flammang, a young citizen whose energetic nature and laudable ambition have enabled him to conquer and subdue countless adverse conditions and to advance steadily and rapidly until at the early age of thirty years he has won and still retains one of the most important positions within the gift of the people of Bates county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

MRS. LULU (RAND) FLEMING, residing on her farm of one hundred sixty acres in New Home township, located on the Jefferson Highway, nor far from Rich Hill, is a daughter of one of the old and prominent families of Bates county. She was born July 20, 1861, in Benton county, Missouri, a daughter of James Rand, a native of Indiana.
James Rand was born in Dearborn county, Indiana, November 16, 1829, a son of James and O. (McLean) Rand, natives of Ohio. His grandfather, Thomas Rand, was a Revolutionary soldier and one of the pioneers of Kentucky. James Rand was reared on a farm, and at the age of twenty-three years, married Margaret Bassett, who was born in 1833 and died in 1883. Mr. and Mrs. Rand came to Missouri in the early fifties and located in Benton county. During the Civil War, Mr. Rand was a captain of the Home Guards. He had removed to Indiana soon after the outbreak of the Civil War. He returned to Benton county at the close of the war, in 1865, and after a further three years’ residence in that county removed to Bates county and began the improvement of a tract of about two thousand acres of land, which he had entered from the government in 1857. His home place contained four hundred eighty acres and upon this tract he erected a home which was considered a splendid mansion in those days. He developed in all about one thousand acres and was extensively engaged in cattle raising, feeding from one hundred to one hundred fifty cattle and a proportionate number of hogs yearly. Mr. Rand died July 23, 1882. His children were as follow: Charlie, who died at the age of twenty-three years; Carrie, died when seven; Thomas, died at an early age; Harry, died when one year old; Rolla, lives in Kansas City; Mrs. Lulu Fleming, subject of this sketch; Benjamin L., Osage township; and Fannie, deceased wife of J.S. Bell, of New Home township, who was the eldest of the family.
Mrs. Lulu (Rand) Fleming inherited a quarter section of land from her father’s estate. January 8, 1882, she was united in marriage with T.L. Fleming. The children born to this marriage are: Margaret, wife of Charles Ganaway, Rich Hill, mother of the following children, one of whom, Thelma, aged fifteen years, has been reared by her grandmother as her very own, the others living being Moselle, thirteen years old; Ruth, eleven years old, and Gertrude, aged six; Samuel J. Fleming, born October 17, 1888, now a private in the National Army, stationed at Camp Pike, Little Rock, Arkansas, Headquarters Three Hundred Thirty-sixth Field Artillery.
The Fleming residence, situated upon an elevation overlooking Jefferson Highway, is a very attractive place. Many evergreens dot the large lawn, which slopes gently from the house to the road. The land is underlaid with coal, which is now being mined to assist in supplying the great demand for fuel in the country at the present time. Mrs. Fleming is a member of the Christian church. She is a capable business woman, one who is amply able to manage her own affairs.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

CHARLES E. FORTUNE, the well known county recorder of Bates county, is one of the county’s most capable officials. Mr. Fortune is a native of Illinois. He was born in Cass county in 1875, the oldest of three children born to his parents, Michael and Elizabeth (Kirscher) Fortune, the former, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio and the latter, of Germany. Their children are, as follow: Oliver C., Kansas City, Missouri; Julia, the wife of Glenn Earl, Kansas City, Missouri; and Charles E., the subject of this review. Michael Fortune was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1838. He came to Missouri from Illinois in 1880 and located at Freeman in Cass county, where he entered the mercantile business. One year later, Mr. Fortune moved to Rich Hill and engaged in the grain business in addition to following his trade as barber. For the past twenty-two years, he has been employed by the government as tax collector in Rich Hill. Michael Fortune is now seventy-nine years of age, but he is still as alert and active physically and mentally as many men twenty years his junior.
In the public schools of Rich Hill, Missouri, Charles E. Fortune received his education. He assisted his father in the feed and grain business and did a man’s work when still a mere lad. Mr. Fortune studied and mastered telegraphy and became an expert operator and for eight years was employed in this capacity by the Missouri Pacific Railway Company, being located for a few months at Panama, Missouri and then at Rich Hill. In the election of November, 1914, Charles E. Fortune was elected county recorder of Bates county and he is the present incumbent in this office, at the time of the writing in 1917. Mr. Fortune has fully justified the choice of the people of the county, proving himself to be a thoroughly trustworthy and efficient official.
July 22, 1909, Charles E. Fortune and Elmira Fry, daughter of Corbin Fry, a late prominent citizen of Rich Hill, were united in marriage and to this union has been born one child, a daughter, Carolyn E., who is now seven years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Fortune reside in Butler at 210 North Havanna street. They are socially very popular and number their friends by the score both in the city and in the county.
As a citizen and public official, Charles E. Fortune stands high in his community. As a business man, he maintains an honorable record and he deserves much credit for the rapid strides he has made from an humble position in his father’s feed and grain store to one of influence and affluence in the community. His career has been marked by fidelity to duty and upright, straightforward business methods.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ARTHUR RAY FOX,
the well-known proprietor of the Fox Studio at Butler, is one of the citizens of prominence in Bates county. He was born November 14, 1890 in Cass county, Missouri on his father’s farm near Austin, a son of A.F. and Maggie (Black) Fox, both of whom are now honored residents of Butler, Missouri. A.F. Fox is a native of Woodford, Illinois. He came to Missouri in 1880 and in this state was united in marriage with Maggie Black, a native of Cooper county, Missouri, and after a few years residence in Cass county they came to Butler, where they now make their home, numbered among the most highly respected and best families of Bates county, Missouri. Arthur Ray Fox has one brother, Earl Fox, claim agent for the Nave McCord Wholesale Grocery Company of St. Joseph, Missouri and a resident of St. Joseph.
In the city schools of Adrian and Butler, Arthur Ray Fox received his elementary education. Early in his career, he was interested in newspaper work, employed first on the “Republican Press” and later on the “Democrat” at Butler. Later, he entered the Southern School of Photography at McMinnville, Tennessee and at this institution completed a course in the art of photography. After working at his profession for several months at different places, Mr. Fox purchased the Earl A. Steward Studio at Butler, Missouri in 1913 and has since been engaged in business in this city.
The marriage of Arthur Ray Fox and Birdie May Vantrees, a daughter of C. and Emma (Thayer) Vantrees, of Butler, Missouri was solemnized August 6, 1911. Mr. Vantrees was born in Coles county, Illinois in 1860, a son of Hezekiah Vantrees, who came with his family to Missouri in 1868 and located in Vernon county. The elder Vantrees was a blacksmith by trade and he followed this line of work, blacksmithing, at Deerfield until 1895, when he moved to Bates county. Fourteen years later, in 1909, he died at Butler. The son, C. Vantrees, the father of Mrs. Fox, located at Butler, Missouri in the autumn of 1886, coming thence from Clinton, Missouri. He had mastered the blacksmith’s trade in the early seventies and for many years worked beside the forge with his father at Deerfield. In 1881, he entered a carriage factory and served as an apprentice until he had become proficient in the work of carriage making, when he came to Butler, in 1886, and is now engaged in blacksmithing and in general repair work in this city. Mr. Vantrees has now been at the forge for forty-five years and he is widely recognized as one of the best, most skilled workmen in the county. Emma (Thayer) Vantrees is a native of Ohio. She and Mr. Vantrees reside at Butler and they are numbered among the citizens of Bates county of the highest standing. Mrs. Fox attended the city schools of Butler and she is a graduate of the Butler High School. She is very talented in music and has been the organist of the Methodist Episcopal church of Butler ever since her girlhood days.
The Fox Studio was opened March 1, 1913. Arthur Ray Fox purchased the interests of Earl A. Steward, a photographer located in the Williams building on the north side of the public square in Butler, the present location of the Fox Studio. The rooms occupied by the studio extend the full length of the building and are lighted from the front and from overhead. Since Mr. Fox has acquired the ownership of the gallery, new and expensive equipment have been installed, including an electric enlarger, an electric print machine, a cement sink, and a washing system of his own devise, making the studio up-to-date in every particular and thus increasing the volume of work and the number of patrons in addition to improving the quality of work. The Fox Studio enjoys an immense patronage, the trade extending far beyond the confines of Bates county. Mr. Fox has always made it a point to secure photos of interesting gatherings and distinguished visitors of Butler and among his most recent ones are a photo of President Taft, when he was here November 5, 1917, and several different photos of Company B, taken when they were leaving for Camp Clark at Nevada, Missouri. Mrs. Fox was employed in the Fox Studio prior to her marriage, when it was owned by Mr. Steward, and she has won recognition as an artist of unusual ability. Her work is distinguished for its delicate grace and simple charm in dealing with child life and, in fact, the popularity of the Fox Studio has come in a large measure because of its success with child photos. The display of these on the walls of the studio is one of the most attractive features of the gallery and the pictures clearly show the touch of a master hand, the appeal of the artist. An art critic once said, on looking at a wonderful little etching Rembrandt had made of his mother, that he had to close his eyes for a moment because of the tears which rose unbidden at the sight of it, every line of her face expressing kindness, sweetness, thoughtfulness. Nothing could have been omitted; the etching is complete. So it is with the photos of the Fox Studio. Mr. and Mrs. Fox keep well abreast of the times in the work of photography, always adding to their store of knowledge by reading the best literature on photo work and their art has justly won popular appreciation, impressing all critics with its truth, interesting treatment, and high quality. Mr. Fox is a member of the Photographers’ Association of America and Mrs. Fox is a member of the National Women’s Federation of the P.A. of A. On March 11, 1918, Mr. Fox enlisted for service in the military aeronautics branch of the Signal Corps and immediately left for Cornell University to pursue a course of study in preparation for his work at the front in France.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM C. FOSTER, one of the leading livestock producers of Bates county, proprietor of “Fair Acres,” a splendid country estate situated in the southern part of Walnut township, near Hume, Missouri, has achieved a success in the agricultural and livestock fields which is remarkable, in view of the fact that his beginning in Bates county forty years ago and more was a modest one, and made without capital. Mr. Foster has accumulated a very large acreage during these years, his home estate comprising 378 acres of rich prairie land, in addition to another farm of 105 acres in Walnut township, and a recent purchase of a tract of 154 acres in Howard township. His first investment in land was in an eighty-acre tract bought in 1879 at a cost of six dollars an acre. He later paid sixty dollars an acre for one hundred five acres. Mr. Foster has a large, comfortable farm residence, and two large barns on his place. He is an extensive feeder of cattle and has at the present writing (January, 1918) one hundred thirty head of cattle. He feeds and sells from one hundred to one hundred fifty head of cattle annually; and about one hundred head of hogs.
W.C. Foster was born July 25, 1846, in England, and was a son of George and Martha Foster, who emigrated from their native land in 1851 and made a permanent settlement in Illinois, where both lived the remainder of their days and died. W.C. Foster remained in Illinois until 1872, and then came westward to Pettis county, Missouri. He rented land in Pettis county for five years, after which, in 1877 he came to Bates county. After tilling rented ground until 1879 he bought his first eighty-acre farm on time payments. His subsequent successful career is an epitome of industry, untiring energy, and excellent financial management on his part. If Mr. Foster were asked to tell how he had managed to build up his large estate and explain how he had become one of the wealthy men of Bates county, his answer would undoubtedly be, “Hard work, good management, and always stay on the job.”
Mr. Foster was married March 27, 1870, to Amanda Smith, born August 14, 1840, in Columbiana county, Ohio, a daughter of Michael and Rebecca Smith. Mrs. Foster’s parents died in Ohio and she came to Illinois in 1868. The following children have been born to William C. and Amanda Foster: William C., farmer and stockman living in Howard township; Mrs. Mattie, wife of U.G. Goodenough, living on the Foster home place, has six children: Marie, William, Charles, Alvin, Ada, and Esther; Mollie, wife of J.E. Lee, a farmer of Walnut township; Stella, wife of Edward Graves, Walnut township.
Mr. Foster is a pronounced Democrat and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is affiliated fraternally with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Hume, Missouri. In addition to his farming interests, Mr. Foster is president of the Commercial Bank of Hume, a thriving and well patronized financial institution. He is one of the most popular and most highly respected citizens of his locality, whose honesty and integrity of purpose are proverbial and whose word in a business transaction is considered inviolable.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE H. FRANK, one of the best-known citizens of Bates county, Missouri, a former hotel man of Butler, is a prosperous and influential farmer and stockman of Mount Pleasant township. Mr. Frank is a native of Carlinville, Illinois. He was born in 1852, a son of A.J. and Mary Eliza Frank, the former, a native of South Carolina and the latter, of Kentucky. A.J. Frank was a blacksmith by trade and he followed his vocation at Carlinville for many years. Later in life, Mr. Frank became interested in horse racing and track meets and attended all the races held in his state of Illinois with his own horses. He always kept from ten to fifteen racing horses in his stables and many of them made records known throughout the country.
George H. Frank, when a small boy, was drummerboy at the barracks at Carlinville, his principal duties being to call the soldiers in the morning and sound “taps” in the evenings. Mr. Frank was educated at Blackburn Seminary in Illinois. He was a mere child, thirteen years of age, when he was first employed by his father as jockey. Since he was seventeen years of age, Mr. Frank has been self-supporting. He rode “Prairie Boy” at Springfield, Illinois, at the time he won the world record in 1:44. Although Mr. Frank was an experienced jockey and is an exceptional judge and lover of fine horses, he never bets on a race.
In 1880, Mr. Frank came to Bates county, Missouri, and located at Butler, where he followed painting for two years and then operated a bus line for twelve years. Following this, George H. Frank conducted the Ross Hotel in Butler, which house was situated in the building now occupied by the American Clothing House. He enjoyed the hotel business, worked hard, and made a success of it. When Mr. Frank was a genial host, it was in the days before the quitting of the saloon. Butler was “booming” at the time he came here. Traveling men, who were on the road fifteen and twenty-five years ago, recall with pleasure the Ross Hotel of Butler and the kindly keeper, George H. Frank, who made their stay as pleasant and home-like as possible. When the house was sold, Mr. Frank purchased his present country home, a farm comprising sixty acres of valuable land located four miles southwest of Butler, which place was formerly owned by “Bob” Hurt. Mr. Frank is enjoying his rural home and is “making good” on his little farm, finding as much pleasure in agricultural pursuits perhaps as he did in the hotel business in Butler.
October 27, 1875, George H. Frank and Miss Belle Compton, of Brighton, Illinois, were united in marriage. Mrs. Frank is a daughter of Richard and Emily Compton, both of whom are now deceased. To George H. and Belle Frank have been born three children: Emma, the wife of John W. McKinick, Kansas City, Missouri; Charles, a prosperous farmer of Mount Pleasant township; and Richard, a well-to-do clothing merchant of Chicago, Illinois.
Since becoming a resident of Bates county, Mr. Frank has willingly and cheerfully borne his part in all public improvements and enterprises and his high standing as one of Mount Pleasant township’s intelligent, progressive and representative citizens in unanimously conceded. He has an extensive acquaintance throughout the country and the number of his warm personal friends is legion.

History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.
JAMES J. FRANKLIN – The late James J. Franklin, leading citizen and early settler of Howard township, Bates county, Missouri, was a son of one of the earliest of Missouri’s pioneers. Settling in Bates county in 1872, at a period when there were very few people living in the southern part of the county, he became one of the most prominent and active citizens of his section of the county. Mr. Franklin was born March 17, 1833, in Tennessee, a son of Fayette Smith Franklin, a native of Amherst county, Virginia, who was a son of John Franklin, who kept a tavern in Amherst county. His father was a brother of Benjamin Franklin, author of “Poor Richard’s Almanac,” statesman, and inventor, the value of whose services in behalf of his country while the struggle for freedom of the American Colonies was going on, can never be overestimated. Fayette Smith Franklin moved from Virginia to Tennessee after his marriage with Mary Ann Tyree, of Virginia. In 1839, he migrated to Greene county, Missouri. After a short residence there, he moved to Taney county, where he died in 1850. James J. Franklin moved to Pettis county, Missouri, in the early sixties and there enlisted in the Confederate army, serving throughout the Civil War under the Confederate banner until the surrender of Vicksburg by General Pemberton, when he was paroled and returned to his home. From Pettis county, he moved to Bates county in 1872 and settled on a farm north of the present Franklin home, later moving to the farm now owned by his widow and which was given to Mrs. Franklin’s mother by her grandfather Ewing as a part of her inheritance from the Ewing estate. Mrs. Franklin’s mother deeded the farm. This farm was raw, unbroken land at the time Mr. and Mrs. Franklin began to make it their home. The Franklin farm consists of one hundred sixty acres and the residence is located in a beautiful grove of maples and evergreen trees, presenting an attractive appearance to the traveler. Mr. Franklin died April 12, 1915, after a long life spent in useful and honest endeavor.
James J. Franklin was married December 17, 1867, to Miss Mary R. Field, a daughter of William H. and Mary (Ewing) Field. Mary (Field) Franklin was born in 1841, in Henry county, Missouri. Her father was born in Virginia in 1814 and died in 1889. He migrated to Cooper county, Missouri, during the early thirties with his father and was there married to Mary Ewing, after which he made a settlement in Henry county, where he resided until 1841, when he returned to Cooper county. After the close of the Civil War, he settled in Pettis county, where he lived until 1872, when he moved to Bates county. Both parents of Mrs. Franklin died at her home. Five children were born to James J. and Mary Franklin, as follow: Marie Ewing, at home with her mother; Eugene, who lives on the home place with his mother; Arthur G. and Ernest, of Kansas City, Missouri; and Earl, who died at the age of nineteen years. Eugene Franklin, the eldest son, was born in 1871 and was married in 1905 to Harriet Shepherd, born in Pettis county, a daughter of J.L. Shepherd, a resident of Howard township. Eugene and Harriet Franklin have three children: Earl Bedford, Mary Mildred and Eugene Lee. Eugene Franklin has served two terms as township tax-collector and has served one term of two years as township assessor, having been re-elected to the position in March, 1917. The office came to him unsolicited and was bestowed upon him by his fellow-citizens as a token of the high esteem in which he is held. He is a Mason and prominent in Howard township.
In politics, the late James J. Franklin was a Democrat and for years was one of the capable leaders of his party in Bates county. He served as township assessor of Howard township and performed the duties of the office in a capable manner. He was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church and was fraternally affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The death of Mr. Franklin marked the passing of one of the best-known pioneer settlers of this neighborhood and a man who was held in affectionate esteem by his neighbors and by those who knew him best. His death was sincerely and truly mourned by his family and the people of Bates county which whom he was widely acquainted. Mrs. Mary R. Franklin is one of the oldest pioneer women of Bates county living at this time, and, in point of years of residence in this section of the county, she holds second place.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOSEPH S. FRANKLIN, during the forty years of his residence in Bates county, has achieved a success which is remarkable, and he has risen from a condition of comparative poverty in his young manhood to become one of the large land owners of western Missouri. The Franklin holdings comprise eleven hundred acres of productive prairie lands in Walnut township bordering on the Kansas line just south of the town of Worland. There are six sets of farm improvements on this vast acreage and the land is tilled by the sons-in-law of Mr. Franklin. Mr. Franklin began his career as a herder of sheep and cattle on the plains in the west part of Bates county in the interest of Judge B. Clark, of Boonville, who formerly owned the land which Mr. Franklin gradually purchased. Much of the Franklin land is underlaid with extensive coal deposits which are on the eve of development by mining concerns.
J.S. Franklin was born August 4, 1849, in Owen county, Indiana, and was a son of John and Jane (Elliot) Franklin. His father was born in Burke county, North Carolina, October 14, 1824, and was the son of Thomas C. and Dorothy (Davis) Franklin, natives of North Carolina of English extraction. Thomas C. Franklin, grandfather of the subject of this review, was a cousin of Benjamin Franklin, famous in American colonial and Revolutionary history. He settled in Indiana as early as 1825. John Franklin was educated in the Spencer Academy, Indiana, and on October 28, 1844, married Jane Elliot, of Virginia, who bore him three children: James D., deceased; Joseph Samuel, subject of this sketch; and John Thomas. Mrs. Jane Franklin died September 28, 1853 and on October 3, 1857, John Franklin married Susan J. Moore, daughter of Hon. George W. Moore, who bore him five children: Robert Burns, Highland Mary, Dorothy, George and Della. John Franklin became owner of four hundred twenty acres of land and departed this life in 1892. James D., his oldest son, served in the Union army during the Civil War and died in 1913. John Thomas Franklin, his second son, is living in Greene county, Indiana.
The early education of J.S. Franklin was obtained in the district schools of his native county in Indiana. He left home to make his own way in 1868 and located in Carroll county, Missouri, where he was employed at farm labor until 1871. He then went to Kentucky and remained there for one year, returning to Carroll county. In 1874 he made a return trip to Indiana and remained amid old home scenes until 1877 when he again came to Missouri and made his home with Judge Clark, of Cooper county. Judge Clark owned a large tract of land in the western part of Bates county and he leased this tract to Mr. Franklin who came out here and took charge of it in 1878. Mr. Franklin at first cared for a drove of one thousand, five hundred thirty-five sheep on a partnership basis, but the raising of sheep proving to be unprofitable during the first six years of his tenure, he engaged in cattle raising, made good profits and paid back his losses incurred during the sheep raising venture. He then went to see Judge Clark and leased the land so as to engage in cattle raising on his own account. For the past thirty years he has been accumulating acreage. His first investment was in eighty acres at the cost of ten dollars an acre; he then bought another “eighty” at a purchase price of twenty-five dollars an acre; bought two hundred forty acres at eighteen dollars an acre, and so on, until he had gathered together his large estate of one thousand one hundred acres. Seven hundred acres of the Franklin land is underlaid with the top vein of coal which is being mined in different parts of the county and another five-foot vein has been discovered at a depth of two hundred seventy-five feet below the surface. Mr. Franklin has recently leased one hundred acres for coal mining of the surface coal, the mining to be done by drifting.
Mr. Franklin was married September 25, 1879, to Mattie E. Smith, born April 27, 1852, in Cooper county, Missouri, a daughter of Jeremiah Smith (born 1810 – died 1896), a native of Tennessee, who was a Missouri pioneer, and witnessed the first steamboat which steamed up the Missouri river in 1817. He lived at Old Franklin, where his parents were pioneers. He was a son of Thomas Smith, and when a young man, he married Letitia George, who was reared to maturity in Cooper county. Col. Robert McCullough, an early sheriff of Cooper county, was a relative of the Smith family. Mr. and Mrs. Franklin have six children, three sons and three daughters, as follow: Maude, wife of L.P. Sylvester, living on the Franklin land, has four children – Alice, Lemuel, Efton and Edra; Minnie H., wife of I.E. Mullies, also living on the Franklin farm, has two children – Edna and Ewing; Clark C., Clay Center, Nebraska, married Jennie Ellis, and has three children – Ruby, Joseph and Maxine; Edward, Cheyenne, Wyoming, married Maude Miller; Lura, wife of Lon Baldwin, on the Franklin farm, has two children --  Vernie and Lavina Fern; William Wirt, a druggist, Hume, Missouri.
Mr. Franklin has always been a Democrat and served as deputy sheriff of Bates county for twenty years, holding office under Sheriffs Glazebrook, Ludd, Morris, Collier and Joe T. Smith. He belongs to the Baptist church while Mrs. Franklin is a member of the Presbyterian church. Few men who began their active careers without capital and have spent their whole lives as tillers of the soil have accomplished more than has J.S. Franklin. His industry during these many years has been unabated and his business judgment was always been sound; his standing in Bates county places him among the county’s leaders.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN F. FULKERSON, one of the old settlers of Mound township, and a Union veteran, was born February 15, 1842, at Danville, Montgomery county, Missouri. He has lived in Bates county for over forty-five years. He is a son of Robert Craig and Malvina (Dickerson) Fulkerson, natives of Lee county, Virginia. Robert C. Fulkerson was descended from an old Virginia family which dates back to colonial times in American history. Robert Fulkerson was one of the early Missouri pioneers and was a large land-owner and slave-holder in Montgomery county during the ante-bellum days. He was a man of prominence in the communities in which he resided and served as sheriff of Lee county, Virginia, prior to his removal to Missouri. Upon locating in Montgomery county, he soon became one of the leaders of the new county and served several terms as county treasurer. He died at the age of eighty-four years. Mrs. Malvina Fulkerson died at the age of sixty years. John and Malvina Fulkerson were parents of seven children, two sons and five daughters, of whom the subject of this review is the only survivor.
After receiving such education as was afforded by the early day public schools in his native county, John F. Fulkerson studied at the Macon Normal College. Upon the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in Company K, Thirty-third Missouri Infantry, and saw a great amount of active service during the course of the war. His command took part in the Red river expedition, in the battles of Yellow Bayou, Fort Russell, and in the engagements at Cannelton, Old River Lake, Pleasant Hill, Lexington, etc. His military service extended over Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida and he took part in numerous skirmishes in addition to the principal engagements mentioned. Mr. Fulkerson lay sick for some time in the Military Hospital at Baton Rouge, but was never wounded in battle. He received his final discharge from the service at St. Louis after an honorable and brave service extending over three years during which time he participated in some of the hardest and most exacting campaigns of the war.
After the close of the Civil War, he returned to the old home in Montgomery county and remained there engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1872, when he came to Bates county, and purchased his present farm of eighty acres in Mound township for six dollars and fifty cents an acre. Since coming to this county, Mr. Fulkerson has followed farming and stock raising constantly.
John F. Fulkerson was married on August 31, 1873, to Anna Painter, who was born near Warrenton, Warren county, Missouri, February 14, 1845, a daughter of Adam and Nancy (Burns) Painter, both of whom were born in Page county, Virginia, where they were reared and married, coming to Missouri soon after their marriage in the early thirties. Mr. Painter became owner of three hundred sixty-five acres of land, and while owning slaves in his native state he disposed of them prior to his removal to Missouri. He was a farmer, stock raiser, and a good Democrat of the old school. Both parents of Mrs. Fulkerson died in Warren county, the father dying in 1871 and the mother departing this life in 1873.
Mr. and Mrs. Painter were parents of twelve children, five of whom are yet living. Four sons of this family served in the Confederate army and the older brother of Mrs. Fulkerson was wounded in the battle of Vicksburg, Mississippi. To Mr. and Mrs. John F. Fulkerson have been born two children: Robert, who resides in Ruby, Alaska, where he went in 1898, and is engaged in the mining business at which hazardous occupation he has made and lost several fortunes; Fletcher, an extensive farmer located near Paul, Idaho.
Mr. Fulkerson is allied with the Republican party but is inclined to vote independently, and does his own thinking as to men and measures during political campaigns. He cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864 while wearing the uniform of the Federal government. Mr. and Mrs. Fulkerson are counted among the most valued and esteemed citizens of Bates county and are proud of the fact that they are Missourians born and bred.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

W.S. FULLER, a successful and industrious agriculturist of Mount Pleasant township, is a native of Jasper county, Missouri. Mr. Fuller was born in 1880 at the Fuller homestead in Jasper county, thirty-four years after the birth of his father at the homestead. He is a son of S.W. and Laura J. (Allen) Fuller. S.W. Fuller was born in 1846, a son of John L. Fuller, a native of Webster county, Missouri. John L. Fuller was a Confederate soldier in the Civil War, as was also his son, S.W., and he was killed in a battle in Arkansas. S.W. Fuller served in the Confederate army two years. Louisa J. (Allen) Fuller was born in South Carolina. She came to Bates county with Mr. Fuller in 1903 and they purchased the farm now owned by Mr. Hartrick. Mr. Fuller died at Eldorado Springs in 1906 and interment was made at Carthage, Jasper county, Missouri. His widow now resides at Carthage, Missouri. S.W. and Laura J. Fuller were the parents of ten children, six of whom are now living: W.S., the subject of this review; Sinia, the wife of H.G. Mallet, Lamar, Missouri; Blanche E., Carthage, Missouri; Mrs. Mabel Lowry, Lamar, Missouri; Mrs. Ethel Cox, Butler, Missouri; and Mrs. Sammie Shay, Fort Bliss, Texas.
W.S. Fuller attended school in Jasper county, Missouri, at Carthage. He has made his own way in life since he was eighteen years of age, engaging first in mining in Jasper county and later in agricultural pursuits. Mr. Fuller came to Bates county with his father and labored on the farm with him. In 1910, he purchased his present country home, a farm located two miles southwest of Butler on the Jefferson Highway and comprising one hundred forty acres of land, well watered, drained, and fertile. The residence is a neat, well-built structure of seven rooms and there are two large barns on the place, which afford ample room for stock, hay, and grain.
The marriage of W.S. Fuller and Mrs. Edith (Dickhout) Flynn was solemnized in October, 1909, at Butler, Missouri. Mrs. Fuller is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P.S. Dickhout, of Jackson county, Missouri. To W.S. and Edith Fuller have been born two children, Samuel and Garland.
Fraternally, Mr. Fuller is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. He has pursued an undeviating course of industry thus far in life and has sternly adhered to the upright principles which governed the life of his father before him. W.S. and Mrs. Fuller are highly respected and esteemed as neighbors and citizens in their community. Constant and faithful in all his relations with his fellowmen, Mr. Fuller is destined to continue in the future, as he has been in the past, one of the substantial, enterprising men of the township in which he lives.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

 


 

Return to

Bates County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.