Welcome to
Bates County
Missouri


Biographies
~ G ~


GEORGE GENCH, a prosperous farmer and stockman of Hudson township, is one of Bates county’s best citizens. Mr. Gench was born in McLean county, Illinois, on January 9, 1860, a son of Frederick and Mary (Brauer) Gench, both of whom were born in Saxony, Germany. Frederick Gench located in the state of Illinois, when he was a young man, and there resided ten or twelve years when he came thence to Bates county, Missouri, and settled in Prairie township on a tract of land purchased from the Bradley brothers for ten dollars an acre, one hundred twenty acres of prairie land. He split the rails with which to fence his farm and built a rude house of two rooms constructed of roughly-hewed timber. Later, Mr. Gench built a comfortable frame residence on his place. Pleasant Hill was the nearest railroad center at that time. Frederick Gench was deeply interested in educational matters and for many years served as a member of the school board in his district. To Frederick and Mary Gench were born the following children: John, of the firm of Gench Brothers of Rich Hill, Missouri; Mary Ann, the wife of Edward Keller, of Appleton City, Missouri; George, the subject of this review; Lizzie, the wife of Henry Grob, of the state of Washington; Lon and Frank, twins, the former, in the hardware business at Butler, Missouri, and the latter, in the Peoples Bank at Butler, Missouri; and Carl, who is engaged in fruit and truck growing in the state of Florida. The father died in 1884 and the mother joined him in death in 1907. In the early history of Bates county, the name Gench stood as it stands today, the synonym of honor and no citizens were held in higher regard than were Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Gench.
In the public schools, the “cipher” schools, and the mission schools of Bates county, Missouri, George Gench obtained his education. Upon leaving school, he engaged in farming on the home place until he was eighteen years of age. He then left Missouri and went to Kansas, where he located in Leavenworth county for two years. Returning to Bates county, Missouri, he again engaged in agricultural pursuits and in 1887 purchased his present country place, a farm comprising eighty acres of land partly improved at the time of his purchase. All the improvements now on the place have been placed there by Mr. Gench, including a residence, a house of eight rooms built in 1905; a barn, 48 x 60 feet in dimensions and sixteen feet to square, used for stock and feed; a silo, having a capacity of one hundred ten tons; and other necessary farm buildings needed to facilitate the handling of stock and grain. Mr. Gench raises brown Swiss dairy cattle, the herd headed by a registered male, and at the time of this writing in 1918 he has twelve milch cows. He is also interested in Duroc Jersey hogs, but has only a few on the place at this time.
The marriage of George Gench and Caroline Hammer was solemnized November 27, 1884. Caroline (Hammer) Gench is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Hammer. Mrs. Gench’s mother died when the former was an infant and the little girl was reared by her step-mother, Mary (Grob) Hammer. Anton Hammer first married a sister of Mrs. Gench’s mother and to the first union was born a son, Fred, who resides in Pleasant Gap township. The other children of Anton Hammer are as follow: Emma, the wife of Gottlieb Hirschi, of Rockville, Missouri; Louisa, the wife of Fred Drawe, of Rockville, Missouri; Louis, of Olds, Alberta, Canada; Willie, a truck farmer in Florida; and John, of Rockville, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. George Gench are the parents of eight children: Lewis, a well-to-do farmer and stockman of Hudson township, Bates county, Missouri; Agnes, the wife of Eldo Hirni, of Visalia, California; Gertie, the wife of Albert Hirni, of Rockville, Missouri; Martha, the wife of Carl Bartz, of Pleasant Gap township, Bates county, Missouri; Frances, Edith, Eva, and Orville, at home with their parents.
Mr. Gench affiliates with the Republican party and for the past eight years he has been the justice of peace of Hudson township. He is a quiet, unobtrusive citizen, yet a man long considered one of the substantial, progressive agriculturists of the county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

D.A. GEPFORD
, progressive farmer of Shawnee township, evidently believes thoroughly in the use of modern labor-saving devices on his splendid farm of two hundred forty acres, as the place is well equipped with every device and the latest agricultural machinery to enable him to perform the farm work quickly and inexpensively. In these times of scarcity of farm labor it would seem that a farmer as well equipped as Mr. Gepford would not need to worry a great deal about securing farm labor. The Gepford place is located six and a half miles east of Adrian and it boasts two sets of improvements. The farm has a nice six-room residence, two barns, a scale house, and sheds to facilitate the care of livestock and protection of the harvested crops. The oldest barn on the place was built in 1897, and the splendid, new barn was recently erected in 1917. The main buildings are erected on section 9, while the west “eighty” which is the home of R.H. Gepford, son of D.A. Gepford, is also well equipped, the barn and feed shed being 32 x 40 feet in dimensions. Mr. Gepford has built an implement shed and a blacksmith shop since coming to this place. The scale house is enclosed as is the corn shelter, fanning mill, and the pumping machinery, all of which are operated by an upright engine. Mr. Gepford does custom work, such as grinding, etc., for his neighbors and has all the work which he cares to do. This farm has an International tractor, a twenty by thirty-six Case separator, which has a capacity for 2,000 bushels of oats or 1,000 bushels of wheat per day’s run. Mr. Gepford can plow seven to ten acres per day with his tractor plow outfit which is fitted with three fourteen-inch plows. He is thus enabled to plow as deeply as is desired. Only recently he has purchased a two-row cultivator with motor attachment.
D.A. Gepford was born in Macon county, Illinois, near the city of Decatur, in 1859. He is the son of George and Letitia (Shepherd) Gepford, both of whom are deceased, the former dying in 1888 and the latter in 1911. Mr. Gepford’s parents lived practically all of their days in Illinois and were honest, hard-working, industrious citizens who taught their children the value of industry and honesty. D.A. Gepford was reared and educated in Macon county, Illinois, and lived in his native county until 1894. In that year he moved to Andrew county, Missouri, and resided there until 1900 and then came to Bates county. He purchased his farm in Shawnee township from Zib White, who had bought it from William Lee and the Reeder heirs.
In 1883, Mr. Gepford was united in marriage with Josephine Stickler, a native of Illinois, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stickler, of Macon county, Illinois. To this marriage have been born children as follow: Ettie L., at home with her parents; Irvin, deceased; R.H., operates his father’s farm in section 9 and also assists in cultivating the home farm; J.A., at home with his parents.
While the Gepfords are not “old settlers” of Bates county, they have taken their place among the representative families of this county who are doing things for the good of the county and are ably demonstrating what can be accomplished on Bates county soil. They have a host of good and warm friends in their neighborhood and Mr. Gepford ranks high among the truly progressive and successful farmers of this county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.W. GILBREATH, of Hudson township, is one of the oldest native-born pioneer settlers of Bates county. Seventy years have passed since he first saw the light of day in his father’s cabin on the prairies of Hudson township. His boyhood days were spent amid surroundings most primitive and his home was a log cabin built on the banks of Panther creek, the said cabin later becoming the first school house in Hudson township. The nearest trading posts and the only trading points in those days were at old Papinsville and Johnstown, to which centers the goods needed by the settlers had to be hauled from long distances in the forties and fifties from the nearest landing places on the Missouri river. There were many Indians in the vicinity of the Gilbreath home in those days, the Indians of the plains making a custom of coming in from the western plains to spend the winter in their village near Papinsville. When here they spent their time in hunting and were never bothersome to the settlers if treated rightly. The old Harmony Mission was Indian headquarters for a number of years.
J.W. Gilbreath was born in Hudson township, December 19, 1847, and is a son of William and Rilla (Evans) Gilbreath who came to Bates county from Illinois as early as 1844 and were among the earliest of the Bates county pioneers. William Gilbreath was born in Washington county, Illinois, and was a son of John Gilbreath, a native of Buncombe county, North Carolina. When a young man, John Gilbreath moved to Illinois in 1804. William Gilbreath entered several hundred acres of free government land in Hudson township, and built his first home three miles west and a mile south of the present site of Appleton City. After the war he removed to the home now owned by his son, J.W. Gilbreath, and for a period of twenty-five years was an extensive dealer in mules and livestock. J.W. Gilbreath, subject of this review, was the only son of his parents. He attended school in a log school house on Panther creek, which was the only school in Hudson township for a number of years. He has followed farming during his entire life and has fed cattle for the past thirty-five years with considerable success. His fine farm consisting of four hundred thirty acres is located seven miles southwest of Appleton City and seven miles northwest of Rockville. This farm has been created from wild prairie land and the whole of it is under cultivation, there not being an acre of waste land in the entire tract. Two sets of farm improvements are located thereon and the farm residence consists of eight rooms and other buildings of a substantial nature.
December 24, 1876, J.W. Gilbreath was married to Miss Anna E. Nearhoff, who was born February 8, 1841 and departed this life on March 21, 1898. Two children were born to this marriage: Nellie May, wife of William Zimmerman; and William Edward Gilbreath. Mr. Zimmerman is deceased and Mrs. Zimmerman resides with her father. She has three children: Verree, Cleo, and Leota. Verree married Orveil Young and has one child: Orveil, Jr., born January 28, 1918.
William Edward Gilbreath was born March 31, 1879 and was reared and educated in Hudson township. On November 20, 1915 he was united in marriage with Miss Lydia Frances Schott, a daughter of George H. and Mary Louise Schott of Calhoun, Missouri. To this marriage has been born a son, William Warren Gilbreath. E.W. Gilbreath is owner of one hundred sixty acres of good land and is actively engaged in farming and stock raising. He has a fine herd of Hereford cattle to the number of forty-seven head. He is a well educated citizen, having attended the schools of Appleton City, and the Central Business College at Sedalia, Missouri. Mrs. Gilbreath also studied at Hill’s Business College in Sedalia. Mr. Gilbreath’s farm is well equipped with good buildings, including a seven room residence, a large barn 36 x 48 feet, sixteen feet to the square, another barn 20 x 60 feet with a sixteen foot shed, a granary 20 x 14 feet with a concrete floor and foundation of the same material, a hen house 10 x 30 feet in size. Mr. Gilbreath was elected assessor of Hudson township in April of 1917 and is now filling the duties of this office satisfactorily to the people of the township.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

A.L. GILMORE, proprietor of the “A.L. Gilmore Stock Farm” of Deepwater township, was born in Portage county, Ohio on December 31, 1864. He is a son of Henry W. and Cornelia C. (Loomis) Gilmore, natives of Portage county, Ohio. Henry W. Gilmore came to Bates county, Missouri in 1873, locating in Old Hudson. He bought forty acres of the Newkirk farm, where he resided until his death in 1894. His wife died in December, 1910 and both parents are buried in Myers cemetery in Bates county. Two brothers of Henry W. Gilmore, Samuel and Charles, were veterans of the Civil War, and Samuel Gilmore for a few years conducted a shoe shop at Butler. Henry W. Gilmore and Mrs. Gilmore were the parents of six children: Mrs. Laura E. Graham, Falls City, Oregon; Mrs. Mary A. Mabry, St. Clair county, Missouri; Mrs. Mittie Keene, Spruce, Missouri; Mrs. Rilla Radford, Butler, Missouri; Mrs. Lulu Keene, Indianapolis, Indiana; and A.L., the subject of this review.
A.L. Gilmore attended school in Oak Grove district and later was a student at Butler Academy. After leaving school, he went to western Kansas and proved a government claim. A short time afterward, he landed in the state of California and at that time had just thirty cents in his pocket. He made the trip in two days from Marysville, California to Laporte, a distance of eighty-seven miles. He went to work for the Sierra Lumber Company and was sent out with surveying parties up in the mountains. He was out on the trip three and one-half months. Food and supplies were taken to them on pack mules. He killed several deer on the trip and brought some of the deer horns back to Missouri, and has them yet. They were snowbound on their way home and had to crawl over the summit for a short distance on their hands and knees. They were at the foot of Lassen peak at one time on their trip. Mr. Gilmore entered the employ of the Sierra Lumber Company in California and remained with them for four years, the company offering him an increase in wages to remain with them longer, but Mr. Gilmore still dreamed of Bates county and believed that opportunities were still here and he was soon back again among his old friends. He located on a portion of the Captain Newberry farm, one mile southeast of Spruce, and built his present residence, a house of seven rooms, in 1912 and a commodious barn, 48 x 60 feet in dimensions, in 1908. All the improvements now on the place have been placed there by Mr. Gilmore and the clearing of the brush for farming operations on the soil has also been done by him. The “A.L. Gilmore Stock Farm” comprises two hundred forty acres of land and Mr. Gilmore is making an excellent success with both cattle and hogs.
Mr. Gilmore was first married January 14, 1892 to Jessie E. Newberry, a daughter of Captain Newberry, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. Jessie E. (Newberry) Gilmore died in August, 1893. A.L. Gilmore and Edna E. Lawson were united in marriage on March 6, 1902. Edna E. (Lawson) Gilmore is a native of Deepwater township, Bates county, Missouri, a daughter of Isaac M. and Cordelia M. Lawson, honored and respected pioneers of Deepwater township. Mr. Lawson died in 1911 and his widow still resides at the Lawson homestead. Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Gilmore have four children: Edna I., Arthur L., Homer H., and Paul L.
Fraternally, A.L. Gilmore is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Royal Neighbors of America, and the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Gilmore takes a most commendable interest in public and political affairs and he was elected assessor of Bates county in 1906 and was deputy assessor prior to that time. He has filled satisfactorily the offices of assessor and clerk of Deepwater township and, at the time of this writing in 1918, he is filling his second term in the office of township trustee, having been elected in April, 1915 and re-elected in April, 1917. A.L. Gilmore is a good, honest, conscientious official, attending as carefully to the interests of his township and county as to his own. He is a thorough, intelligent, and progressive agriculturist and stockman. Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore stand high among the estimable and valuable citizens of Bates county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JAMES R. GORDON, a well-known young agriculturist of Bates county, was born August 5, 1884, on his father’s plantation in Fleming county, Kentucky, located near Flemingsburg, a son of J.W. and Victoria Gordon, the former, a native of Kentucky and the latter, of Virginia. J.W. Gordon was a son of James and Betsy (Wallingford) Gordon. James Gordon, grandfather of James R., the subject of this review, was a native of Ireland. He had emigrated from his native land in early manhood and had come to the United States, where he settled in Kentucky and was united in marriage with Betsy Wallingford, a member of a prominent colonial family, of Wallingford, Kentucky. J.W. Gordon was a Confederate soldier in the Civil War and he served three years with John T. Morgan’s regiment. Mr. Gordon died in 1915 and his remains were interred in the cemetery near his home in Fleming county, Kentucky. His widow still survives him and at present is making her home at Penfield in Champaign county, Illinois. J.W. and Victoria Gordon were the parents of the following children: Mary Alice, deceased; John William, deceased; George W., Wallingford, Kentucky; James R., the subject of this review; Anna, the wife of Cleveland Wycoff, of Champaign county, Illinois; Eugene, of Champaign county, Illinois; and Eunice, the wife of Claud Mart, of Wallingford, Kentucky, who are twins.
In the public schools of Fleming county, Kentucky, James R. Gordon received his education. Prior to coming to Missouri, Mr. Gordon was engaged in tobacco growing in Kentucky and since he came to Bates county in 1912 and purchased the lease to the land on which he now resides he has followed the pursuits of farming and stock raising. Mr. Gordon’s farm comprises one hundred sixty acres of the Angela Scully lands.
James R. Gordon and Mary Connor, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Connor, a sketch of whom appears in this volume, were united in marriage in 1912 at Butler, Missouri. Mrs. Gordon was born November 11, 1892, in Champaign county, Illinois. To Mr. and Mrs. Gordon have been born three children: John William, Mary Agnes, and James Robert, Jr. The Gordons are highly respected in their community.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

E.G. GRANT, proprietor of the “Grant Stock Farm” in Summit township, is one of the enterprising farmers and stockmen of Bates county. Mr. Grant is a native of Kansas City, Missouri, born in 1887, the only son of Charles and Ann (Hazlett) Grant, the former, a native of England and the latter, of Ireland. To Mr. and Mrs. Charles Grant have been born two children: Nellie, who makes her home with her father at Butler; and E.G., the subject of this review. Charles Grant purchased the farm, which is the home of his son, E.G., about 1890 from Thomas Bushear, who died at Kansas City, Missouri, in 1916, and the Grants resided at their country place until the autumn of 1909. Mr. Grant is now making his home at Butler, Missouri.
In the district schools of Bates county, E.G. Grant obtained his elementary education. He later attended the Butler High School for two years. Mr. Grant has resided on the farm, which is now his home, practically all his life, as he was a little child, three years of age, when his father brought the family to this county to make their home. The “Grant Stock Farm” comprises one hundred ninety acres of land, most of which is “bottom land” drained by Willow branch, and was formerly known as the Glass farm. Major Glass used to be the owner of the place and the cemetery, which occupies one acre of the farm, was in the days gone by named in his honor. His wife and child were the first two persons interred in the burial ground. This is one of the fine stock farms of Summit township and Mr. Grant is successfully raising white-face cattle and Poland China hogs, keeping registered males at the head of each herd, and Barred Plymouth Rock chickens. Since acquiring the ownership of the farm, Mr. Grant has built a barn, 48 x 48 feet in dimensions, installed a wind-mill and scales, put up hog-tight wire fencing in all the pastures, and remodeled the residence.
The marriage of E.G. Grant and Susan Tyler was solemnized in 1909. Susan (Tyler) Grant is a daughter of W.B. and Rachel (Moore) Tyler. W.B. Tyler, a Confederate veteran of the Civil War, was born in Kentucky. Mrs. Tyler is a native of Missouri, as is also her daughter, Mrs. Grant. Mr. Tyler enlisted in the Civil War when he was a very young man and served throughout the struggle. He is a descendant of Charles Tyler, an honored pioneer of Bates county, Missouri, who settled on a tract of land near old Johnstown, in the earliest days of the settlement of this part of Missouri. Grandfather Tyler and Grandfather Moore were both brave, old pioneers and wealthy slaveowners of Bates county in the days before the War. Mr. Moore died near Lamonte, Missouri, during the Civil War, when his clothing and bedding were taken from him by the Federals, his death coming as the result of exposure. To E.G. and Susan Grant have been born two children: William and Charles.
As a public-spirited, progressive citizen, there is no more highly valued man in Bates county than Mr. Grant.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Judge W. W. GravesW. W. GRAVES.
Judge W. W. Graves, the subject of this sketch, was born in Lafayette County, Mo., December 17, 1860; was educated in the public schools and State University. He was appointed School Commissioner of Bates County by Governor Marmaduke and was elected for a full term. The only other public office he has held was city attorney for the city of Butler. He was nominateil for Circuit Judge by the Democratic convention in 1898, after a protracted struggle, and was triumphantly elected at the following election. Judge Graves has now been on the bench about one year, and he has established a reputation for judicial acumen and fairness, and is undoubtedly one of the ablest circuit judges in Missouri, as well as one of the youngest. He has had a phenomenal career at the bar since he abandoned the teacher's birch and the editorial tripod in a country village. Hard work and close application has earned for him deserved success in the profession, and a bright future is before him.
(Source: The Old Settlers’ History of Bates County, Missouri, Publ. 1897. Submitted by Linda Rodriguez)

WALLER WASHINGTON GRAVES, member of the supreme court of Missouri since April, 1906, his term to continue until 1918, was born in Lafayette county, this state, December 17, 1860. His father, Abram L. Graves, was a prosperous farmer of that county and subsequently became a resident of Bates county. He had been left an orphan at an early age and was reared by his grandfather, Abram Larsh, one of the earliest settlers of Lafayette county, the Larsh family having come from Maryland, where representatives of the name had resided from a period antedating the Revolution. The Graves family were mostly from North Carolina, where they owned and cultivated large cotton plantations prior to the Civil War. Abram L. Graves was born in Palmyra, Missouri, and has made farming his life work. He wedded Martha E. Pollard, a native of Kentucky, whose girlhood, however, was largely passed in this state. She came of an old Virginia family. Her mother was a Waller and her ancestors were nearly all people who were among the colonists of this country. Several of the family took part in the struggle for American independence. Mrs. Graves passed away in 1910.
At the usual age, Waller W. Graves became a public-school pupil in his native county and later had the advantage of training in the State University until 1881. He took up the profession of teaching, but regarded that merely as an initial step to other professional labor. He read law in the office of Parkinson & Abernathy, two of the prominent attorneys in his section of the state, and was admitted to practice by the circuit court at Butler in 1885. That his former preceptor, Judge Parkinson, had entertained high regard for the young law student is indicated in the fact that he admitted him at once to a partnership that was maintained until 1893, when it was dissolved by reason of Judge Parkinson’s removal to Kansas City. Mr. Graves was then joined by Harvey C. Clark under the style of Graves & Clark and they soon gained a place among the prominent representatives of the bar of southwestern Missouri.
Various positions of trust have been accorded Mr. Graves who through appointment of Governor Marmaduke became school commissioner of Bates county to fill a vacancy, and at the close of the term he was reelected by a handsome majority. He undertook many reform steps and largely improved the condition and raised the standard of the schools. Ever in sympathy with the cause of higher education, his fine executive talent was brought to the discharge of his duties and his efforts were highly satisfactorily effective. He was also city attorney of Butler from 1890 until 1892. He there continued in the practice of law as a member of the firm of Graves & Clark until 1899, when he was elected circuit judge, serving upon the circuit bench for a term of six years. He then resumed law practice, but in April, 1906, was again called to a judicial position in his appointment to succeed Judge Marshall of the state supreme court, who had resigned. Later in the same year he was elected for a short term of two years and in 1908 was reelected for the full term of ten years.
On the 30th of June, 1892, Mr. Graves was married, in Butler, to Miss Alice M. Ludwick, a lady of innate culture and refinement, daughter of John L. and Mary (Fletcher) Ludwick, both of whom are now deceased. Her father was one of the first settlers of Bates county, and a splendid representative of the German American element. Mr. and Mrs. Graves have three children: Ludwick, attending the William Jewell College; Waller W., a graduate of the Jefferson City High School; and John L., aged twelve, attending the public schools. Some years ago a contemporary biographer wrote:
“Mr. Graves is one of Butler’s most patriotic and enterprising citizens. Seldom is any plan instituted for the benefit of his town with which he is not identified. His progressiveness follows a course of the widest civic patriotism, in which there is no alloy of special self-interest, as is too often true of enterprises intended to benefit the community. The same distinction applies to his connection with politics, in which he engages solely because of his interests in and desire of good government. Although a life-long and ardent Democrat, he lets is be known that he is not an office seeker, and the only ambition cherished by him is that of ranking high as a lawyer. He is a leader of his party and is always willing to give his services to the cause on the stump or in the council.
“Those who know him do not wonder that he is so thoroughly en rapport with the work of his profession, for he has been eminently fitted therefor both by nature and training. Tall and large, handsome, of commanding presence, with a rich, full and strong voice which has been highly cultivated, ready of speech and with an ample fund of words on which to draw, it is no exaggeration to state that he is one of the most pleasing, logical and convincing speakers among the lawyers of Missouri. In presenting a case to court or jury his arguments are always strong, forcible and clear, abounding in concise statements and logical reasoning. As a counselor his judgment may always be depended upon and he is noted for his ready tact in the trial of a case. One of his strongest points is his thorough preparation in all cases that he undertakes and as a result he knows the strength and weakness of both sides of the contention and thus he is always ready for any eventuality. In the trial of a case he never takes extensive notes, but is possessed of the rare faculty of remembering the evidence in detail of all witnesses, their bearing on the stand, etc. and months afterward can readily call it to mind. This alone makes him formidable, as always being ready to take advantage of any discrepancies of conflicting statements. He is an expert technician and abounds with ready references, precedents and decisions; in fact, he treats his profession as a technical science. The case that is so poor that it has to depend upon the ability of the lawyer rather than evidence is fortunate if Mr. Graves appears in its behalf.”
Judge Graves ranks today with the ablest jurists of Missouri and there are many who predict that still higher professional honors will come to him. In his conduct and relations he is a gentleman of the old school. In his profession he stands as a representative of that progress which has characterized the profession, being in close touch with the work of the courts in later years as well as the old time legal principles which constitute the foundation of the law.
Judge Graves was offered the appointment to the United States senate by Governor Gardner to succeed the late Senator Stone at the death of Senator Stone, but he declined to accept.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

LUCIEN GREEN, a son of Stephen W. and Lucy Green, was born in Athens county, Ohio, July 10, 1844. He was a private in Company A, One Hundred Twenty-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He enlisted in July, 1863 and was mustered out with the regiment at the expiration of his term of enlistment in March, 1864. He was married to Polly Smith in August, 1868. In January, 1874, he with wife and son, A.C. Green, came to Bates county, Missouri, and for a few years resided on a farm near Butler. In January, 1882, he with his family moved to Hudson township, where he now resides. Mr. Green is a Republican in politics and in 1894 was candidate for county recorder.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

GEORGE H. GUTRIDGE of Deepwater township, was born in a log cabin, on the farm which he now owns, April 27, 1863, and has the distinction of being the only “old settler” living in Bates county who was born nearest the time of the issuance of Order Number 11 by Gen. Thomas Ewing in 1863. He is the son of Peter Gutridge, a native of Muskingum county, Ohio, who was born in 1822 and made a settlement in Deepwater township as early as 1845. He was married in Henry county, Missouri, in 1849, to Angelina Dickison, who was born in Licking county, Ohio. During the Civil War period, Peter Gutridge returned to Ohio and was in that state when Order Number Eleven was issued. Mrs. Gutridge took her children and returned to her old home in Henry county, remaining there until after the close of the war. When the family returned to the cabin, the live stock had disappeared and the house had been looted of its contents and it was necessary for them to make a new start. Peter Gutridge died on his homestead in 1877. Mrs. Gutridge died in 1898, and the remains of both are interred in Dickison cemetery. They were parents of children as follow: Joanna, wife of Samuel S. Stapleton, deceased; Minerva, wife of Jonathan Jackson, Deepwater township; Samuel W., living at Bliss, Idaho; Susan A., wife of William Fletcher, Oregon; Lewis, deceased; George H., subject of this review; Mary M., wife of Grant Thornberg, Oregon; John and Jefferson, died in infancy.
George H. Gutridge was educated in the district schools and Butler Academy and also pursued a course of study in Bucks County College located in Muskingum county, Ohio. Mr. Gutridge has spent twenty-four years of his life in Oregon. He first went to that state in 1887 and remained for seven years employed in placer mining. In 1893, he washed out six thousand, two hundred thirty-six dollars in gold dust from his mines. He returned home and lived on the home place and engaged in mercantile business in Spruce until 1899 and again went to Oregon, this time remaining in the mining country of that state for eight years. On his first trip he became owner of or part owner of a gold mine and operated it on his own account. After a return trip home he journeyed a third time to the mining region and remained for only one year in Baker county on a ranch. His first home was located two and one-fourth miles from Spruce, a farm which he owned for some years, and he eventually became owner of the Gutridge home place consisting of one hundred and nine acres, partly through inheritance and partly by purchase of the interests of the other heirs. Mr. Gutridge remodeled his residence in 1909 and has done considerable improving about his property. He keeps good grades of cattle, hogs and horses, and is thrifty, and industrious.
Mr. Gutridge was married in 1893 to Miss Lydia M. Durrett, of Bates county, a daughter of Henry M. and Susan Caroline Durrett, the former of whom was a native of Virginia and the latter a native of Kentucky. The Durretts came to Missouri and first located in Cass county. After a residence of some years in that county they came to Bates county, and are now residing near Johnstown. Mr. and Mrs. Gutridge have an adopted daughter, Ermine, born July 9, 1911.
During the Civil War a company of soldiers who were a part of the command of General Price were passing through the country, camping in the Spruce neighborhood, and stopped to gather apples from the Gutridge orchard. As they were stripping the trees, Peter Gutridge objected and warned them to desist as he did want his fruit crop ruined. The soldiers continued to damage and strip the trees of their fruit, and seizing his gun, he fired over their heads with the intention of showing that he meant to defend his property. A small shot happened to hit a soldier in the heel. Whereupon, Mr. Gutridge’s ordered and he was taken to Balltown, Vernon county, but shortly afterwards turned loose and returned to his home. The first trading post of the Gutridges was at Johnstown and later at old Papinsville, the first county seat. The elder Gutridge broke the prairie sod with ox-teams and the early life of the family in the rude log cabin which he erected upon his farm was lived amid primitive surroundings and the accompanying hardships of the pioneer era of settlement. In the autumn of 1916, George H. Gutridge was awarded a lap robe as a prize, being the winner of a contest promoted in Butler to ascertain which old settler in the county was born on the date nearest to the time when Order Number Eleven was issued.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

 


 

Return to

Bates County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.