Welcome to
Bates County
Missouri


Biographies
~ L ~



DR. W.E. LAMPTON, a prominent and successful osteopathic physician of Butler, Missouri, is a native of Cooper county. He was born in 1858, a son of Benjamin C. and Anne (Wear) Lampton. Benjamin C. Lampton was a native of Cooper county, Missouri, and a veteran of the Mexican War. He moved with his family from Cooper county to Bates county and in 1881 located at Butler, where for several months he conducted a hotel. One year later, the Lamptons moved from Butler to Altona, where Mr. Lampton purchased a general store and for several years was postmaster. The mother died about the year 1868. Benjamin C. Lampton departed this life at Butler in 1904. Doctor Lampton has one brother living: Reverend T.A. Lampton, who is engaged in ministerial work in Oklahoma.
In the public schools of Cooper county, Doctor Lampton obtained his elementary education, which was later supplemented by a thorough medical education, received at Kirksville, Missouri. He graduated with the class of 1904 from the medical school and, immediately upon completing the course, opened his office in the Farmers Bank building at Butler, where he has been located for the past fourteen years and now has a splendid and lucrative practice. Doctor Lampton was interested in osteopathy for many years prior to attending school, due to the fact that his wife had been cured of a chronic disease by a physician of this school when others had failed. Many people confound osteopathy with faith cure and massage treatments and are ignorant of the basic principles of this method of treatment. The underlying idea of osteopathy is the adjustment of structure, aiding the nerve and blood supply, and all schools of osteopathy now have a four-year course of medical training, at which time the structure of the human system is carefully studied.
In 1884, Dr. W.E. Lampton and Nannie Covington were united in marriage. Mrs. Lampton was born in 1862 at Bolivar, Missouri, daughter of the pioneer harness maker of that place, who came to Bolivar from Kentucky. Dr. and Mrs. Lampton are the parents of one child, a daughter, Mrs. Samuel Armstrong, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The Lampton home is in Butler on North Main street. Doctor and Mrs. Lampton are well known in the best society circles of Butler and they are numbered among the most highly respected families of Bates county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

CLIFFORD J. LANE, of Pleasant Gap township, is one of the extensive stockmen and farmers of Bates county. He was born October 20, 1874, on the place where he now resides. He is a son of James C. and Mary (Fagan) Lane, natives of Ohio. James C. Lane was born near Cincinnati. When the war broke out, he enlisted in the Union army, serving three years and four months in the Fifty-fourth Ohio Infantry. He participated in many important engagements, but was never wounded nor taken prisoner.
In 1867, James C. Lane came to Missouri and located in Bates county and followed farming in partnership with a brother about a year. He then bought land and engaged in farming and the stock business and met with more than ordinary success. During the course of his career in this county, he accumulated about thirteen hundred acres of land. He divided a great deal of this between his children sometime before his death. He died January 14, 1916, aged eighty-four years. For several years prior to his death, he had lived in Rich Hill and was retired from active participation in business affairs. He was a Republican and took an active part in politics. At one time he was a candidate on his party ticket for representative from Bates county. His widow now resides at Rich Hill.
To James C. and Mary (Fagan) Lane were born the following children: Samuel, who lives in Oregon; John, Arkansas; Clifford J., the subject of this sketch; and George, a physician and surgeon at Rich Hill, Missouri.
Clifford J. Lane received his education in the public schools and Butler Academy. At an early age, he began farming in partnership with his father. He has followed that line of industry to the present time and is regarded as one of the successful farmers and stockmen of Bates county. He owns a splendid farm of five hundred eighty-seven acres. While his business is principally feeding cattle for the markets, he raises large quantities of grain. During the year of 1917, he raised about four thousand bushels of corn. The year of 1916, he and his partner handled and prepared for the market over five hundred head of cattle and, at this writing, December, 1917, he is feeding four hundred fifty head. His farm is well equipped with numerous barns and sheds for the stock business. The Lane residence is one of the most complete farm homes to be found in Bates county. It was built in 1911 and is complete in all details.
Mr. Lane was married March 5, 1897, to Miss Delta Gilliard, a native of Nebraska. She is a daughter of John Gilliard, who died in Nebraska in 1915. Her mother now resides in Nebraska.
To Mr. and Mrs. Lane have been born four children, three of whom are living: Vera, a student in the Rich Hill High School; Mary, also a student in the Rich Hill High School; and Aileen, attending the public schools, at home. William died at the age of two years.
Mr. Lane is a Republican. He takes an active part in political matters. He is now serving his third term as trustee of Pleasant Gap township. He is public-spirited and progressive and always stands ready to do his part in the upbuilding and betterment of his county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM LANEY, proprietor of one of the best farms in Bates county, is an enterprising and progressive citizen of Hudson township. He was born in Washington county, Illinois, July 23, 1849, a son of James R. and Mary (Young) Hill Laney, the former of whom was born in Alabama in 1819 and the latter of whom was born in Illinois in 1820. Mr. Laney’s mother died in 1858 and his father was again married to Mary Ann Walker. By this second marriage James R. Laney was father of three children: A.T. Laney, an employee of the “Frisco” Railroad Company, Clinton, Missouri; Mrs. Charles Anthony, Kansas City, Missouri; one child died in infancy. James R. Laney died in Hudson township in 1891 and his remains are interred in Round Prairie cemetery.
The early education of William Laney was obtained in the public schools of his native county and he pursued a higher course of study at the Illinois State Agricultural College, Irvington, in the school year 1868 and 1869. He followed farming in his native state until 1881 when he came to Appleton City, Missouri and resided there until March of 1883. At this time he bought his present home farm of one hundred twenty acres in Hudson township, of John Stucker, who had purchased it from Fritz Gilbreath who in turn inherited the land from his father, Stephen Gilbreath. This fine farm is located two and a half miles from Appleton City and is considered to be one of the best kept and most productive tracts in this section of Missouri. The first home of the Laneys when they purchased their farm, was a log cabin which served as their place of habitation for the first ten years of their residence in Bates county. In 1893 they erected a new home, having previously built two barns, one having been built in 1885 and the other being erected in 1895, two years after the new home was erected. Twelve acres of the Laney farm were first broken for cultivation in 1866 and this land has continued to yield crops for the past fifty-one years. Every deciduous and evergreen shade tree on the Laney place was planted by the owner and there is now a fine grove shading the premises.
Mr. Laney has two uncles and four cousins who saw active service in the Union army during the Civil War. They were as follow: John and Samuel Hill, uncles. The cousins were Robert and John Laney, Andrew Crane, and Daniel Laney.
Mr. Laney was married in 1869 to Miss Jane Milne, who was born in Scotland, and is a daughter of Peter and Allison (Polick) Milne, who immigrated to America from their native land in 1863. A son of the family, Harry Milne, enlisted in the Union army at the age of nineteen years not long after his arrival in America. Mrs. Laney has four sisters living: Mrs. Allison Perkins, Oswego, Kansas; Mrs. Euphemia Laney, Oswego, Kansas; Mrs. Anna Boggs, Hallowell, Kansas; Mrs. Mary Nesbitt, Sparta, Illinois. To William and Jane Laney have been born children as follow: Mary, wife of Walter A. Bundy, a jeweler of Miami, Oklahoma, and who taught school for a number of years; Ada, who is diligently engaged in Red Cross work and is especially employed in the making of the Hudson township community flag; Clarence, supervisor of the Federal income tax for northeast South Dakota, located at Aberdeen, South Dakota; Lyman Lee, born 1879, died in 1917, at Watertown, South Dakota, leaving a widow and a son, Roy C. Laney, aged five years; Gertrude, wife of Clyde Piepmeier, Hudson township. Mr. and Mrs. Laney have five grandchildren: William Lee Laney, Roy Clarence Laney, Ruby Dell Piepmeier, Pearl Louise Piepmeier, and J.D. Piepmeier.
For a number of years Mr. Laney has served as school director of Hazel Hill district and has always taken a great interest in educational matters. He and Mrs. Laney have co-operated in the matter of giving each one of their children an excellent education, being actuated in this laudable undertaking by the well founded belief that they would make better men and women if equipped with an education. For a number of years he was a member of the township board. Mr. Laney has been prominent in the affairs of the Democratic party and has been a member of the county central committee. For four years he served as justice of the peace of his township and has ever been found in the forefront of all worthy movements intended to advance the welfare of the citizenship of his county and township.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WILLIAM P. LARGENT – Three things will always stand to the credit of William P. Largent, of Shawnee township, in summing up his accomplishments during a long career of over thirty-five years in Bates county. As an “old settler” and a determined citizen he has triumphed over adversity and created an excellent farmstead; he and Mrs. Largent have reared one of the largest and best families in Bates county; Mr. Largent has assisted in the science of stock raising by improving the blood of the livestock raised on his farm and likewise been influenced in the raising of better stock in the county. He is rightly of the opinion that it pays better to have fewer livestock on the place of the pure-bred variety than to have a lot of “scrubs” or stock of an indifferent breed. This idea is strictly in keeping with the latest intelligence known of the science of livestock raising. Mr. Largent has a fine herd of Hereford or white face cattle, pure-bred Poland China hogs, and Shropshire sheep, not a great many of any variety but the kind of stock that he raises is of the best and many are registered purebreds. “Prince Albert,” a fine horse raised by Mr. Largent, was sired by a registered saddle horse, the dam being a trotting mare. The weight of this splendid animal is 1400 pounds and his action is fine, such as to make him an excellent sire. Nearly all of his best horses were sired by “Redwood,” the famous pacer bred by W.H. Cotten. Mr. Largent also raises some splendid mules from thoroughbred stock. He has just completed a concrete crib which can be used as a granary and is in keeping with the rest of the farm appointments.
William P. Largent was born in West Virginia, May 3, 1856, and is a son of Jacob and Rebecca (Harman) Largent, both of whom were born and reared in Virginia. In 1858, the Largent family left the old home in West Virginia and moved to Peoria county, Illinois, where Jacob Largent settled upon a farm, dying at his home in Peoria county in 1871. After his death, Mrs. Largent returned to Virginia, but later came to Missouri in 1881, with William P. Largent. After a year’s residence in Henry county, they located in Bates county in 1882. The first home of the Largents was in Grand River township, where William P. Largent lived until 1887. He then purchased his present home place in Shawnee township and here his mother died, her remains being interred in Crescent Hill cemetery. Mr. Largent bought his farm of C.H. Moore, who had previously bought it of J.W. Rankin. The improvements on the place at the time of Mr. Largent’s purchase were of a negligible character and he has placed practically every building of the place and through the course of years has beautified it in many ways. On December 29, 1899, the Largent residence burned to the ground and they were left homeless in the dead of winter. Their neighbors were very kind to them, however, and assisted them in many ways, Mr. R.L. Cantrell throwing open his home to them and gave them the use of his house while they were rebuilding. The present Largent residence was finished in 1902, the fine barn having been built in 1899.
On November 15, 1877, Mr. Largent did the best thing of his entire life. On that date he took to wifehood, Miss Nancy E. Lough, a native of Pendleton county, West Virginia, and daughter of George Amos and Mary Elizabeth (Hizer) Lough, who lived all their days in Pendleton county and died there. Twelve children have been born of this marriage, eleven of whom are living: Mary Etta, wife of William A. Shealey, Kinsley, Kansas; George F., Adrian, Missouri; Clara Susan, now Mrs. W.C. Davidson, Hoxie, Kansas; William E., Belpre, Kansas; Bertie Opal, wife of H.M. Erwin, La Grande, Oregon; Ola May, wife of W.A. Scheurich, Schell City, Missouri; Winnie Pleasant, wife of Leroy Park, Butler, Missouri; Ada Precious, wife of L.R. Kemper, Rockville, Missouri; Roxie Odessa, wife of John Morrow, Butler, Missouri; Arle Everett and Lulu Pearl, at home with their parents; Beatrice Daisy died in infancy. The rearing of the members of this splendid large family to lives of usefulness in their respective communities where they are living honest and worthy lives is a great accomplishment, and this one thing alone entitles Mr. and Mrs. Largent to an honored place in history.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DAVID WILLIAM LAUGHLIN, late prominent resident of Walnut township, was born near Mansfield, Ohio, January 23, 1831, and died in Bates county, on his country estate north of the town of Foster, January 31, 1908. He was the son of James and Elizabeth (Lee) Laughlin. James Laughlin was a native of Pennsylvania and a son of James Laughlin (I) founder of the family in America, a Scotch-Irishman, who crossed the Atlantic in 1786, and settled in Pennsylvania, where he plied his trade of expert weaver. James, father of David William, fought in the War of 1812 under General William Henry Harrison and took part in the campaign against the British and intended to relieve General Hull at Detroit. David William Laughlin was reared to young manhood in Ohio and in 1853 he made a settlement in Tama county, Iowa. He served for about five months as a soldier in Company E, Twenty-fourth Iowa Regiment of Infantry, during the Civil War and was severely wounded by accident just before the Battle of Helena, Arkansas, receiving a bullet wound just below the heart, through the lungs. He was married in 1864 and continued to reside in Tama county until 1869 when the condition of his lungs required that he seek a dryer climate. He came to Bates county, Missouri, in that year and purchased a farm on Walnut creek in the township bearing that name. He chose for his future home one of the most beautiful sites in western Missouri overlooking the timbered area of Walnut creek to the south of the residence. He first purchased a tract of two hundred eighty acres. He settled permanently in Bates county in 1871. He erected a comfortable residence which was beautiful as the years passed and the trees and shrubbery with which he surrounded his domicile grew. Mr. Laughlin increased his land holdings to a total of twelve hundred eighty acres, which included a section of land in Walnut township and another section in Kansas. The Laughlin home place north of Foster is one of the most attractive in Bates county or western Missouri. The white farmstead is located on a hill overlooking the wooded valley of the Walnut and is surrounded by shrubbery and trees. It resembles an eastern homestead with its flowers and vines. Upon Mrs. Laughlin’s land is growing what is probably the largest wild cherry tree in Missouri or the West and the greater part of the walnut timber is still standing in all of its virgin strength. Some of the walnut trees have attained a great growth, and it is a matter of sentimental attachment to the beautiful stretch of woodland for Mrs. Laughlin to continually refuse all offers for the valuable timber contained in the tract.
On October 13, 1864, David William Laughlin and Mary Eliza Blangy were united in marriage. To this marriage were born the following children: Elmer E., a prosperous farmer and large land owner of Walnut township, a sketch of whom appears in this volume; Adelia, born February 3, 1868, wife of Dr. Herbert Canfield, Seattle, Washington, and mother of eight children – Clerice, David, Florian, Damon, Iris, Ruby, and Evelyn and Charles, deceased – David Canfield, the second oldest of these, being married and father of two children – Donald and Charlotte; Florence, born September 22, 1870, wife of Bert Hartshorne, Carterville, Missouri, mother of three children – Doyle, Lois, and Elpha; Wilson, born May 6, 1873, and died January 16, 1909, married Nettie Humphrey, of Pleasanton, Kansas, in 1899, who died in May, 1916, leaving two sons: Harold and Reese; Irving Scott Laughlin, born December 19, 1875, married Mattie Sherburne, and died at Topeka, Kansas, December 13, 1908, leaving one son, Winston; Fred, youngest of the family. The widow of Irving S. Laughlin is now a trained nurse at San Diego, California. Mrs. Mary Eliza Laughlin, widow of David William Laughlin, was born January 26, 1846, in Ohio, a daughter of James and Mary (Scott) Blangy, natives of Pennsylvania, and whose respective parents moved to Ohio, and thence to Iowa in 1852. The Blangys came to Missouri in 1869 and settled in the northern part of Walnut township on the farm now owned by Fred Laughlin. James Blangy died in this county in 1903 aged eighty-two years. His wife died in 1881 aged fifty-eight years. Two children survive them: Mrs. David W. Laughlin, and John T. Blangy, who resides in Walnut township.
David W. Laughlin became a member of the Presbyterian church in 1863 and in 1873 became one of the founders of the Greenview Methodist Episcopal church in Walnut township. He was also a liberal supporter of the Foster Methodist church and was a liberal giver to all religious works. His remains are interred in the old Woodfin burial ground in Walnut township. Mr. Laughlin was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and his entire life was so lived that none knew him but to love him and his death was regarded as a sincere loss to the community in which he had been such a prominent and leading factor.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ELMER ELSWORTH LAUGHLIN was born and named August 22, 1865, in Tama county, Iowa. His father and mother came to Bates county, Missouri, in 1869. E.E. Laughlin’s registered farm No. 33, consists of about one thousand five hundred acres, containing some of the best land in Walnut township, and is now almost all in grass and pasture, carrying at present three hundred head of cattle, twenty mules, some horses, a flock of registered Shropshire sheep which supplies rams not only for Bates county but over in Kansas. Besides his Hereford cows, hogs, jennets, and pure-bred Plymouth Rock fowls are not only at home but abroad.
In 1887, E.E. Laughlin’s father gave him one hundred sixty acres of land, the cream of Walnut township. This was not improved until 1893, when he married Miss Nellie Green, of Blue Mound, Kansas, a daughter of John M. and Elizabeth Mary Green, natives of Saybrook, Illinois. Mrs. E.E. Laughlin’s father and mother are both buried at Blue Mound, Kansas. Miss Nellie Green was a most successful school teacher. Commencing at the age of seventeen, she taught school, went to school, thus preparing herself for a most successful busy life. Like her father before her, she never was out of the harness in church work, wherever she was located, and was always consulted at every church meeting. Her mother remembered the preaching of the powerful Peter Cartwright, which made her a stronger Methodist which was handed to her daughter Nellie, who likewise never thought of deserting the teachings of the home of John M. Green. Mrs. E.E. Laughlin always superintends all the fruit sales and the labor connected with it, which was no small item in the success of the farm. The same is true of the poultry yard. Her home is nine rooms, modern, with accommodations for the family and her friends which was designed for her own special wants.
E.E. Laughlin got a degree of B.S. from the Kansas Normal College, took two years in the Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois. The one hundred sixty acres was a stalk field in 1893, so the planning was from the “stump.” One of the delights is the absence of nursery trees and the setting of the lawn with forest trees, each having a history of itself. The entrance to the farm through the cement posts was published in agricultural papers, and Mr. Laughlin claims to be the father of this particular design of gate posts. Mr. Laughlin was the first president of the Missouri Corn Growers’ Association, lectured on agriculture for four years, but “gabbing” took his mind off business which paid better than “preaching agriculture.” A causal look over the farmstead one has the impression of a well-planned, make-as-you-go, permanent country home and the historian ventures the guess the only way he will leave this farm is by main strength of the last day. Look him up in one hundred years.
E.E. Laughlin and wife have three boys, Paul V. Laughlin, born in 1895, is equipped with the best business education he could get both at the State Normal and Agricultural College at Columbia, Missouri, has held some very important positions of trust, but now has cast his lot with his father in the active management of the farm which he hopes to net him more than good salaries. But just now his number is in the selective draft and he looks for the call to arms. David W. Laughlin, named after his grandfather, born in 1900, is in the high school work, thinks and enjoys farm work, and his father thinks he will make his mark worthy of the name he carries. Rutherford J. Laughlin, born in 1901, he too, of splendid parentage, goes into high school work with a relish, strictly modern in all his ideas, and bids fair to more than carry a good name.
Genealogy – from Century Dictionary – “Laugh,” Irish for lake; “Lin,” Irish for spring. “Justine McCarty’s History of the Irish People, 1270 A.D.”: Laughlin was an Irish lord in the north of Ireland, warring with the south faction of Ireland. Robert Laughlin of Revolutionary period was a weaver; James Laughlin of 1812 with William Henry Harrison, a blacksmith; David Laughlin, W. Laughlin, 1861-65, a farmer; Elmer E. Laughlin, a farmer. The bloodlines of the grandparents of E.E. Laughlin are: Laughlin, Irish; Lee, Scotch; Blangy, French; Scott, Scotch. Genealogy of Mrs. E.E. Laughlin – all English.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

FRED LAUGHLIN, who resides with his mother on the old home place, was born June 20, 1881. He was educated in the public schools and afterward studied at the Missouri and Iowa Agricultural Colleges, specializing in agriculture and animal husbandry. Since assuming charge of the farm he has been identified with the building up of a herd of registered Hereford cattle and registered Percheron horses, also in the feeding of hogs and cattle.
Fred Laughlin was married on March 31, 1911, to Miss Willia Darr, who was born August 24, 1891, at Walker, Missouri, a daughter of Robert and Jennie (Martin) Darr, natives, respectively of Shelby and Moniteau counties, Missouri. They came to Vernon county, Missouri and thence to Bates county, where both died and their remains lie buried in Amoret cemetery. Two children have been born to Fred and Willia Laughlin: Wilfred, born May 22, 1912; and Weston, born September 27, 1916.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JOHN LAWSON, a prosperous farmer and stockman of Summit township, is one of the favorably known citizens of Bates county. Mr. Lawson is a native of Sweden. He returned to his native land in 1903 to visit his brother and four sisters still residents of that country and to again see the old home at Orklejunga, near Helsinborg, which is located on The Sound between Denmark and Sweden in the southern part of Sweden near the Cattegat in Malmohus Ian or province. There he was reared and, in the schools of Sweden, educated. After coming to America, Mr. Lawson mastered the English language, learning to both speak and read it. He was born in Sweden in 1846 and emigrated from his home land in 1869.
On coming to the United States, Mr. Lawson located at Kansas City, Missouri, where he was employed in bridge work, laboring on the first bridge that ever spanned the Missouri river. Later, he worked on the first street railway line in Kansas City, Missouri, and he recalls that when the old depot was built, there were but three or four houses in the bottoms. He left Kansas City to accept a position on the St. Louis & St. Joe railroad, after which he was employed on a farm in Clinton county, Missouri, for three years, a farm in Nebraska for eight years, and again on a farm in Clinton county for four years. Thirty-two years ago, Mr. Lawson came to Bates county, Missouri. He purchased his present country place in 1890 from Mr. Davis, of Indiana, and since he acquired the ownership of the farm he has improved it, adding all the well-constructed buildings, putting up all the fencing, and planting all the trees and shrubbery. The residence is a pleasant, comfortable house of seven rooms and there are two large barns on the farm for the use of stock and hay. The Lawson place is one of the excellent stock farms of Summit township, conveniently located and six and a half miles east of Butler. When Mr. Lawson was in Nebraska eight years, having gone there in 1874, a plague of grasshoppers descended upon them like hail stones and for three years their crops were entirely destroyed by the pestiferous pests, but – in spite of the ravages of the insects – he proved his claim and sold the farm one year after leaving the state. The last year in Nebraska, 1882, eight feet of snow embanked the house and Mr. Lawson knows that he scooped more snow that winter than all the people in Bates county combined ever saw. Two of the children were born in a “dug-out” on their claim in Nebraska.
The marriage of John Lawson and Sarah Miller was solemnized in 1892. Sarah (Miller) Lawson was born in 1850, in Clinton county, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Miller entered land in Clinton county for twelve and a half cents an acre. Both parents are now deceased. To John and Sarah Lawson have been born five children: George, Adrian, Missouri; Vina, the wife of Charlie Williams, of Kiowa, Oklahoma; Myrtle, who resides in Nevada; Oliver, who resides in Montana; and John, Jr., who is engaged in the real estate business at Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Lawson are justly proud of their only grandson, John David, the son of John, Jr., of Kansas City, Missouri.
John Lawson is a striking example of what an immigrant, beginning life in America with no capital and no knowledge of the spoken tongue, can by constant industry, pluck, and perseverance accomplish. Beginning at the very bottom round of the ladder, without one dollar, he has steadily ascended until he has gained the top, directed and controlled throughout his career by honorable and upright principles. Mr. Lawson long ago won the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact and his life, measured by the usual standards of success, presents much that is worthy of emulation.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

THOMAS WEBSTER LEGG, a late worthy and widely known citizen of Butler, Missouri, a noble and upright gentleman whose life for many years was closely interwoven with the local history of Bates county, was a native of Piqua, Miami county, Ohio. He was born November 20, 1854. He was a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Webster) Legg. Joseph Legg was a skilled cabinet maker of Piqua, Ohio and at the age of eighteen years his son, Thomas W., had mastered the carriage maker’s trade. He was reared and educated at Piqua.
December 26, 1876, T.W. Legg and Mary C. Catterlin were united in marriage at Piqua, Ohio. Mrs. Legg is a daughter of S.B. and Louisa (Jones) Catterlin, the former, a native of Ohio and the latter, of Kentucky. Both father and mother of Mrs. Legg died at Butler, Missouri, to which city they had come from Ohio to make their future home. Mr. Catterlin departed this life one year after their coming West and Mrs. Catterlin joined him in death a few years later. To T.W. and Mary C. (Catterlin) Legg were born three children, two of whom died in infancy, one child, a daughter, now living: Mrs. A.C. Coberly, who resides with her widowed mother, the wife of A.C. Coberly, a prominent business man, who is in the employ of the Logan Moore Lumber Company, manager of the Butler lumber yard and manager of advertising for the thirty branch yards controlled by the company. Mrs. Legg and the Coberlys reside in Butler at 506 West Ohio street.
In 1879, Mr. and Mrs. T.W. Legg came from Piqua, Ohio to Butler, Missouri. Mr. Legg, within a short time afterward, began the erection of a carriage shop. His first shop was a large, two-story structure, a frame building, and a few years after Mr. Legg has completed it the shop was destroyed by fire. He rebuilt immediately and continued the business of iron working and carriage making until his death on April 22, 1914, after which his widow managed the factory until in November, 1917 the shop was again destroyed by fire. Mr. Legg built carriages, buggies, and spring wagons and in addition did a large amount of repair work. There are scores of people in Bates county who still own vehicles made by T.W. Legg in his shop at Butler.
At one time, Mr. Legg was a member of the city council of Butler. He was a director of the Butler Building & Loan Association and a director and stockholder in the Peoples Bank of Butler, one of the charter members of the latter financial institution. Mr. Legg was deeply interested in church and Sunday school work. He was a devout member of the Butler Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was chorister, organist, and superintendent of the Sunday school. Mr. Legg had held the same positions in Ohio. He was superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school for more than thirty years. Mrs. Legg still treasures gifts and remembrances given Mr. Legg by the church and school in appreciation of his long years of faithful service. He was at one time and for many years president of the Bates County Sunday School Association and had visited the different schools in all parts of the county. Since early manhood, Mr. Legg was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He died April 22, 1914 and interment was made in the Oak Hill cemetery at Butler.
Incomplete would be a biographical compendium of Bates county without mention of T.W. Legg. His name has been inseparably linked with the history of the business interests in Bates county. He was a model citizen, a gentleman, one who had justly earned an enviable reputation as a successful manufacturer, an enterprising citizen, a true Christian. He was widely and favorably known throughout the county as a man of extraordinary good sense, skill, judgment, and force of character. His death was long deeply deplored in Bates county and the memory of the “good fight” he made remains a priceless heritage. His influence in behalf of all that was noble and uplifting will be felt for scores of years to come, a monument to his memory more enduring than obelisk.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

REV. ABRAM H. LEWIS – Few names figuring in the history of Bates county are more favorably or more lovingly remembered than that of the late Rev. Abram H. Lewis who for a period extending nearly two score years preached the gospel according to the precepts of the Baptist faith in this section of Missouri. It was he who practically founded the Baptist churches in this section. His lovable and kindly character which was tempered by a force which won its way to the hearts of the people will make him long remembered in hundreds of Bates county homes. Through long months and years he would visit his various charges, making long and tiresome trips by horseback to hold services among his people. He was the really successful Baptist missionary in this section of the state, and his work will endure many years to come.
Rev. A.H. Lewis was born September 9, 1826, in Culpepper county, Virginia, and was a son of John Lewis, born in Culpepper county, Virginia, on May 1, 1783, the eldest son of William and Mary Lewis who had twelve sons and two daughters, all of whom were reared to maturity excepting one son who died at the age of two years. John Lewis married Ann Merry Wallis, a daughter of William and Mildred Wallis and she was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, January 1, 1793, but was left an orphan at a tender age and was reared by her grandmother Walker. Until her nineteenth year she was kept in a boarding school and in 1811 was married to John Lewis. They then moved to Madison county, Virginia, to a place located near the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains, where all of their eight children were born, six sons and two daughters as follow: William W., Ethelbert W., Alfred B., Mary M., Ann E., John M. Abram H., and Robert S. Lewis. In March of 1831, John Lewis moved to Culpepper county, Virginia to the farm which had been the home of his father-in-law, and they resided there until their deaths, the mother dying in August, 1859.
Reverend Lewis was educated in the schools of his native county when not assisting in the work upon his father’s farm, closing his school days in 1846. For three years following he taught three terms of school of ten months each in the neighborhood of his father’s home. In June, 1843 he was baptized in the Baptist faith. In October, 1849 he purchased the farm owned by his brother-in-law, Robert S. Jeffries, which adjoined that of his father and decided to marry and go to housekeeping. On January 15, 1850, he was married to Geraldine L. Covington, a daughter of John S. and Elizabeth W. Covington, and he then moved to his farm. In March of 1850, Mr. Lewis was ordained a deacon of the New Salem Baptist church, and it was at this time that he began to take an active part in the work of his church. During the seven years following his marriage, he resided in Virginia and most of the time he was superintendent of the Sunday school of his church and did a great amount of good work in converting his Sunday school pupils to become Christians.
In November, 1856, Mr. Lewis made a visit to Missouri in order to view out the country with a view to making it his future home. He in company with others went by railroad to St. Louis, and then by boat to Hannibal on the Mississippi river, and then by hack to the home of his uncle, Peyton Botts, with whom he spent a week. He then went to Miami, Saline county, where his brothers, Alfred’s and Ethelbert’s families lived (Ethelbert Lewis had died of cholera in May, 1855, leaving a widow and seven children). Mr. Lewis was much pleased with the country and he soon decided upon a place for his new home. One week later he went to Ray county and visited with Thomas A. Duvall who had married Lucy Covington, a sister of his wife. Both Mr. Duvall and Mr. Covington were very anxious that he locate in Ray county, but he returned to Miami and left a bid with his brother Alfred for one hundred sixty acres of land adjoining his farm, for which a deal was made with Alfred Stephenson in February, 1857. This land cost him twenty-two dollars and fifty cents an acre. After returning home and selling out his farm and settling up his affairs in Virginia, Mr. Lewis started on the return trip to Missouri on September 14, 1857. For the ensuing year he lived in the house on his brother’s farm, working his farm and Alfred’s together by the aid of Alfred’s hands until his own home was completed and into which he moved in September, 1858.
When the Civil War broke out he espoused the cause of secession and enlisted in the Missouri state troops under Gen. Sterling Price in December, 1861. Six hundred fifty volunteers started to go to General Price’s headquarters at Osceola, with only a few of them in possession of arms. All of the volunteers were on foot and accompanied by a number of loaded provision wagons. While in camp on Blackwater they were attacked by a large force of Federals and were captured. The prisoners were taken to St. Louis and incarcerated in the Gratiot street prison on December 25, 1861. They were kept in this prison for about six weeks and were then removed to Alton, Illinois. About the first of April, 1862 an offer of their release was made those who were only sworn in for state service, provided they would each give bond and security to remain quietly at home. A large proportion of the men accepted this offer of release and Mr. Lewis was among this number who gave their bonds and were permitted to go to their homes. When in August an order was issued for all to enroll in the militia in behalf of the Federal Government, contrary to their given parole, a large number of his comrades enlisted in the Southern army, but ill health prevented Mr. Lewis from going to the front with them. In December of 1863 he sold his farm and personal property in order to protect his brother, John M. Lewis, who had loaned him money with which to buy his farm. In March, 1864, Mr. Lewis removed with his family to a farm in Ray county, three miles north of Richmond. Ten days later, Mr. Duvall died and he located on the Duvall farm, living there for eight years and renting the farm from Mrs. Duvall. During the ensuing years of the war he was not much troubled except by soldiers hunting food, and whom he always fed. But, in the spring of 1865, times became so bad that he determined to leave the country for Nebraska in order to save his life. While en route to Omaha in April, 1865 he learned of Lee’s surrender and the assassination of President Lincoln. He and his brother, Alfred, who accompanied him on the trip then returned to their homes. A brother, John M. Lewis, was killed in the trenches before Petersburg, April 2, 1865. His brother-in-law, Robert S. Jeffries, was captured there and taken to Point Lookout where he remained until near the close of the war when his wife got permission from President Johnson to take him home. He died in Alexandria on his way home.
In March, 1871, Mr. Lewis made another trip to Virginia on business and received from his father’s estate the sum of one thousand dollars. In February of 1870, his brother Alfred and he took a prospecting trip to Bates county in search of a future home site. Mr. Lewis contracted for one hundred sixty acres for which he agreed to pay eight hundred forty dollars, when the deed was furnished. In May, 1870 he came to Bates county with a team and plough and broke up forty acres, went home, then came back in August and erected a house and meat house, expecting to move in that fall, but decided to wait for a time. In March, 1872, he moved to Bates county and settled on the farm in West Point township which is known as the old Lewis homestead. Reverend Lewis made this farm his home until his death, November 9, 1913.
To Abram H. and Geraldine Lewis were born the following children: Mrs. Mary Wade Chanler, residing on a farm five miles southeast of Butler; John W. Lewis, subject of this review; Mrs. Lucy Kate Smith, Wellington, Kansas; Mrs. Elizabeth M. Rosier, Mountain View, Howell county, Missouri; Mrs. Geraldine Trice, Oklahoma; Thomas H. Lewis, who lives on an adjoining farm in West Point township; William E., St. Marys, Idaho; Mrs. Irene Crawford, Liberty, Missouri; Strother Covington Lewis, living on the Lewis home place.
The mother of the foregoing children, Mrs. Geraldine L. (Covington) Lewis was born October 24, 1824, in Culpepper county, Virginia, and was the fourth of a family of ten children born to John S. and Elizabeth W. Covington, as follow: Salina S., Lucy F., Robert G., Geraldine L., William Wallis, John L., Thomas H., Margaret I., Mary W. and Susan O. Mary Wade was burned to death when a little girl. William W. died in November, 1850. Mrs. Geraldine Lewis died April 12, 1883.
Although Reverend Lewis had been importuned many times to enter the ministry and preach the gospel according to the Baptist faith, he had refrained until such a time as he felt that he was able and could conscientiously give his services with a whole heart and soul to his Creator. It was not until he had settled in Bates county that his noted ministerial career began and met with such signal success. For over a period of forty years he preached in this county and made hundreds of converts to the cause of Christianity. His name became a byword in the county for earnest endeavor and right living. He assisted materially in the building of many Baptist churches and in the organization of many congregations of that faith in the county. His work also extended into Cass county where he was equally well known as a devout and conscientious man in whom the people reposed the highest confidence. Frequently, his reverend gentleman would travel a distance of twenty-five miles twice at the week end to his ministerial charge and make the return trip in order to be at home by nightfall so that he could care for his invalid wife. There are many Bates county citizens who will remember for long years the great work done by this Christian gentleman who left an indelible imprint upon the religious life of this section which will endure forever.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

HON. JOHN W. LEWIS, farmer and stockman of West Point township and former member of the Missouri State Legislature, has a splendid farm of two hundred fifty acres located northeast of the town of Amsterdam in Bates county. Mr. Lewis has resided upon his farm for the past thirty-seven years and first burned off the prairie grass from the virgin soil preparatory to beginning its cultivation in 1880. He has an attractive appearing farm residence of thirteen rooms which stands on an eminence north of the highway and is reached by a driveway. This home was begun in 1880 when Mr. Lewis erected a small habitation and it was finally remodeled and enlarged in 1894, making one of the most imposing and comfortable homes in this section of Bates county. The barn on this farm is forty by fifty-four feet in size, and the cow barn is seventy feet in length. Other equipment is the tool shed, and a shedded crib twenty-six by thirty-two feet. Formerly the Lewis tract had considerable timber but Mr. Lewis during past years has cleared away about one hundred acres and now has fifteen acres covered with woods. The Miami river runs through the land and always furnishes plenty of water for all purposes. During 1917, ninety-two acres of the place were planted to corn which yielded a total of four thousand bushels. The farm is partly operated on shares by Mr. Lewis’ son-in-law, and produces hogs, cattle and horses. Over one hundred head of hogs are annually sold. The Shorthorn breed of registered cattle are kept on the farm and from twelve to twenty cows are milked.
John W. Lewis was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, March 14, 1853, a son of Rev. A.H. and Geraldine L. (Covington) Lewis, concerning whom an extended review is given elsewhere in this volume. The history of the Lewis family goes back three hundred years in America and members of the family have fought in every war in which the Nation has been engaged. Rev. A.H. Lewis came to Missouri in 1857 and settled near Marshall, Saline county. In the spring of 1864 he removed to Ray county where the family resided until they came to Bates county in 1872. John W. Lewis assisted his father in developing the parental farm and when married he purchased a part of the home place of two hundred forty acres. Mr. Lewis was educated in Richmond College, Ray county where he studied for four years after the Civil War and was taught by Professor Gibson, a graduate of Washington University, Virginia, and by Prof. Fayette W. Graves, a graduate of Yale and who taught languages and science at Richmond College. S.J. Huffaker was president of the college during Mr. Lewis’ student days.
Mr. Lewis was married October 13, 1878 to Miss Dora C. Berry, who was born April 21, 1857 in West Boone township, Bates county, a daughter of Franklin R. and Armilda O. Berry, natives of Mason county, Kentucky, and who came to Westport, Missouri as early as 1849. Mr. Berry was a wagon maker and blacksmith by trade and did work for the freighting outfits which passed through old Westport. He made a permanent location in Bates county in 1854. Franklin R. Berry died in 1897. Mrs. Berry was born in January, 1834 and died in March, 1917. They were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Belle Taylor, who died in 1887, leaving a son, Frank Taylor, living at Merwin; Mrs. Dora C. Lewis, deceased; Benjamin F. died at Topeka, Kansas in 1911; Anna, Topeka, Kansas; George, living in Oregon; J.B. lives in Stafford county, Kansas; Mrs. Susie Berry, Burlingame, Kansas; W.C. Berry, Mt. Pleasant township.
Eight children have been born to John W. and Dora C. Lewis, seven of whom are living: Leila, at home as her father’s housekeeper; Claude W., a farmer, West Point township, served as a private in the Spanish-American War in the Philippines, and is father of three children, Nina, Marvel and Leona; Mrs. Eula White, Stafford county, Kansas, has two children, Harold and Louise; Mrs. Kate Wright, Reno county, Kansas, has four children, Bernardine, Dorothy, Walter, Marjorie; Mrs. Pearl Dye, Amsterdam, Missouri, has two children, Harry and Madge; Mrs. Opal Megnin, Kiowa county, Oklahoma; Mrs. Elpha Kauffman, living on the home place, has a son, Raymond, born October 6, 1915. The mother of the foregoing children departed this life on Jaunary22, 1901. She was a good and faithful wife, and a kind and wise mother to her children.
The Democratic party has always had the allegiance of Mr. Lewis and he has generally taken an active and influential part in matters political in Bates county. He was elected as representative from Bates county in 1910 and served as a member of the Missouri State Legislature during the ensuing session. He served in the sessions of 1910 and 1911. Prior to holding this office he served as township clerk, assessor and tax collector for over sixteen years.
While a member of the House of Representatives, Mr. Lewis served on the committees having charge of legislation affecting the railroads, agriculture, mines, mining and militia and made a splendid and commendable record as a legislator. He introduced and had passed the bill providing for “free transportation of rural district school children.” This bill which was considered a radical and far reaching innovation in Missouri aroused wide comment and its author received hundreds of commendatory letters from prominent educators and people who are interested in the cause of higher education and better school facilities for the children of the rural districts. This bill was the forerunner of later legislation which provided for the establishment of consolidated and central township high schools and had a far reaching influence in advancing the cause of education in Missouri.
He became a member of the Baptist church in Richmond, Ray county in 1867 and in 1872 united with the old West Point Baptist church and has remained a member for forty-six years. The old West Point church is now the Amsterdam Baptist church. Mr. Lewis was ordained a deacon of the Amsterdam Baptist church when twenty-three years of age. He is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, being a member of the Amsterdam Blue Lodge and the chapter and council at Butler.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

THOMAS HENRY LEWIS, better known as “T.H. Lewis,” owner of four hundred twenty-four acres of excellent farm land in West Point township, is a son of the Rev. A.H. Lewis, late of Bates county, and one of the most widely known, pioneer Baptist ministers of Missouri, a sketch of whom appears in this volume. Mr. Lewis has a splendidly improved farm upon which he has resided since April of 1890. Upon this farm he placed practically all of the improvements and fencing. During the past year of 1917, he harvested ninety-five acres of corn, which yielded a total of twenty-four hundred bushels of grain; thirty acres of oats which yielded one thousand fifty bushels of oats; twenty-six acres of hay which cut thirty tons in all. He had planted a total of one hundred twenty-five acres in wheat for next year’s harvesting in compliance with the calls of his government for a greater wheat acreage in order that America may feed herself and the allies in the great world war. He has, at the present writing, a fine herd of forty-eight head of Shorthorn cattle, forty-four head of Duroc Jersey hogs, forty-three sheep, and twenty-five head of horses and mules.
Mr. Lewis was born in Saline county, Missouri, in 1862. He was three years old when his parents moved to Ray County, Missouri. He was ten years of age when the family made a permanent home in Bates county in 1872. He was reared on the home place of the Lewis family and attended Willow Branch school. School was held in a small building 16 x 24 feet in size. His best teacher, as he recalls, was Prof. DeWitt Daniels, who was learned in the classics and taught his pupils the higher branches, thus giving the ambitious students the benefits of higher education and saving them the necessity of leaving home to attend a school of higher learning. Mr. Lewis began for himself when he became of age and farmed his father’s place until 1890, when he began entirely on his own account. While he received some assistance from his father, he has achieved the greater part of his success through his own endeavors. His first purchase of land was one hundred sixty acres, to which he added fifty-three and three-tenths acres, then fifty-one acres, then eighty acres, and to his enlarged tract was added still another eighty acres. His first home, built in 1890, was a small affair, 14 x 24 feet, which he rebuilt in 1903 and 1904, making a substantial farm residence of eight rooms which sits well back from the roadway to the south. Upon the Lewis farm are about twenty-five acres of timber, which furnish fuel and lumber for building purposes for the farm.
Mr. Lewis was married in 1890 to Miss Fannie E. Covington, who was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, and who first came to Missouri upon a visit to the Lewis family. She is a daughter of Robert C. and Frances (Brown) Covington, of Culpepper county, Virginia. To this marriage have been born the following children: Robert L., a farmer in Elkhart township; Abram H., a soldier in the National Army, now in training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma; Virginia Frances, Percy Wallace, Dora Elizabeth, at home; Thomas Coleman, deceased; and Frank, at home.
The Democratic party has always held the allegiance of Mr. Lewis, although he has never taken an active part in political matters. He and the members of his family are affiliated with the Baptist church.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

T.W. LIGHTFOOT, a prosperous and influential agriculturist and stockman of East Boone township, is a member of one of the early, leading families of Bates county, Missouri. Mr. Lightfoot is a native of Indiana. He was born in 1858 in Wells county, the only child of P.G. and Rebecca (Hunt) Lightfoot. P.G. Lightfoot was a son of William Lightfoot, a native of Kentucky and of Welsh and Irish descent. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Lightfoot, the parents of T.W., the subject of this review, was solemnized in Wayne county, Indiana and from Indiana the Lightfoot family came to Missouri in 1868 and settled on a farm in East Boone township. Mr. Lightfoot, Sr., purchased a tract of land embracing eighty acres, at the time of his coming West, and to his original holdings constantly added until he was the owner of a farm of one hundred twenty acres of land. He engaged in general farming to a certain extent, but devoted most of his time and attention to stock raising, specializing in Shorthorn cattle, buying large herds and feeding for the market. P.G. Lightfoot was a man of high moral principles, a devout member of the Baptist church, an indefatigable Christian worker. He organized a Baptist congregation, which met at his own home, and which afterward founded the Burdett Baptist church. He was many times honored by his church, being sent as messenger to various Baptist associations. Mr. and Mrs. Lightfoot are now deceased.
At Mudd school house in Bates county, T.W. Lightfoot attended school after his parents had moved here from Indiana. He began his educational career in Indiana and later attended school at McNeil school house. In addition to the teaching of “the three r’s,” preaching was frequently done at the school houses and among the pioneer preachers, whom Mr. Lightfoot knew well, were Reverends Lacy, J.W. Sage, Gwinn, Wright, Lewis, and Swift. The settlers from miles around came to church services in the early days. T.W. Lightfoot began life for himself engaged in farming and stock raising as he had always been interested in these pursuits and was reared on a farm. He remained on the home place with his parents as long as they lived. The first money he ever earned was made driving cattle and hogs to Pleasant Hill, Missouri for James Bufford. His first investment was a young colt, which proved, after much worry and many hours of anxiety, to be a very profitable one. Mr. Lightfoot is now owner of two hundred acres of land and is profitably engaged in general farming and stock raising, having, at the time of this writing in 1917, forty-three head of Shorthorns, seventy-five head of Poland Chinas, two thousand bushels of corn, and six hundred bushels of oats. This past season of 1917, Mr. Lightfoot not only harvested the aforementioned grain, but had twenty-one acres of the place in wheat. He built a handsome residence in 1904 and also one of the best barns in this part of the state. The Lightfoot place is one of the fine stock farms of East Boone township, being well watered and conveniently located.
The marriage of T.W. Lightfoot and Annie Mudd, a daughter of Austin Mudd, one of Bates county’s first, brave pioneers, was solemnized in Bates county, Missouri. Both Mr. and Mrs. Lightfoot had long ago united with the Baptist church and she was one of the most beloved members of the church. Mrs. Lightfoot took a deep interest in church work and faithfully served for many years as organist and president of the Ladies’ Aid Society. Mr. Lightfoot has been the trusted treasurer and trustee of his church for a long time. He has always remained true to the beautiful faith in which he was reared. Mrs. Lightfoot was ever her husband’s most sympathetic counselor, faithful companion, and tried and true friend and Mr. Lightfoot has never recovered from the blow which the Grim Reaper inflicted in taking her from him.
Politically, T.W. Lightfoot is affiliated with the Democratic party. In business, Mr. Lightfoot is a very practical man, possessing much force of character and excellent judgment and his career has been very satisfactory. As a citizen, he stands high above reproach, being widely known for his honest and honorable dealings, and he commands the unqualified respect and esteem of all his friends, neighbors, and acquaintances.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler

ANTHONY LINDSAY, pioneer and retired mail route manager, who after an eventful and busy life is living in comfortable retirement at his pleasant home, 509 West Fort Scott street, Butler, Missouri, was born in Nova Scotia, Dominion of Canada, September 23, 1849. He was a son of James and Mary (Stewart) Lindsay, the former of whom was a native of Nova Scotia and the latter a native of Scotland. James Lindsay moved from Nova Scotia to Canada in 1854 and to Illinois in 1857, and in the fall of 1868 he located on a farm in Linn county, Kansas, near the present site of the town of Prescott. He died there in 1873. Mrs. Mary Lindsay died at Prescott in April, 1901, and both are buried in the Prescott cemetery. They were parents of eight children, of whom three survive, namely: John, lives in Oklahoma; Mrs. Mima Bowers, Pasadena, California; Anthony Lindsay, subject of this sketch.
Mr. Lindsay was educated in the common schools of Canada and Illinois and accompanied his parents to Linn county, Kansas in 1868. Two years later, in 1870, he located in Bates county, and took charge of the contract for carrying the mails from Butler, Missouri, to La Cygne, Kansas. This route provided for a daily mail delivery with a stage coach in connection, the routes leading from Butler to Appleton City and thence to Osceola, and Butler to La Cygne and return. The trip involved a distance of sixty miles from Butler to La Cygne and return was made daily. Mr. Lindsay operated three routes. In 1876 he and his brother, Albert S., built a stable at Appleton City, and did a livery business in addition to carrying the mails. The stage route stations where the horses were changed were located at Mulberry, east of La Cygne, then another station at Butler and on the Appleton City route there was a station at Lahi, on the farm now owned by Clark Wix and at that time known as the John Brown farm. The next station was located at Appleton City, and the last one was situated at Osceola. Mr. Lindsay recalls that Messrs. Barlow, Sanderson and Company had the contract for carrying the mails from Pleasant Hill, Missouri to Fort Scott, Kansas, and at the time Mr. Lindsay came here this firm was running a big stage coach via Harrisonville and Butler in 1870. Mr. Lindsay disposed of his mail routes in 1880 and a few years later they were discontinued as star routes. He also operated a tri-weekly route to Pleasant Gap, and another route to West Point which was tri-weekly. After leaving the mail carrying business, Mr. Lindsay and his brother engaged in livestock buying and his brother moved on the family farm in Linn county. He died in 1901 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Mr. Lindsay then settled up their business affairs and moved to Fort Scott where he resided until 1906. In that year he came to Butler, where he has a fine residence property in connection with a tract of four acres within the city limits.
Mr. Lindsay was married on January 21, 1880 to Alice Wyatt, a daughter of F.M. and Emeline (Sever) Wyatt, of Butler, Missouri. The Wyatts located in Butler in April of 1870, where Mrs. Wyatt died February 8, 1886, Mr. Wyatt dying on October 7, 1917 at the age of eighty-four years. In October, 1902, Mr. Wyatt was stricken with paralysis and for fifteen years he was helpless and neither spoke nor walked. Two other children born to Mr. and Mrs. Wyatt besides Mrs. Lindsay are living: James O. Wyatt, Maroa, Illinois; and Mrs. Anna T. Johnson, Portland, Oregon. To Mr. and Mrs. A. Lindsay the following children have been born: Harry W., and Edith. Harry W. Lindsay is now engaged in the loan business at Kenton, Ohio. Prior to locating in Kenton, he was employ of a bank at Pasadena, California, for seven years and was also cashier of a bank at Central Point, Oregon before his removal to Kenton, Ohio. He married Ruth Andrews, a daughter of J.F. Andrews, a well known capitalist of Kenton. Edith is the wife of Wesley Denton, president of the Peoples Bank of Butler, to whose biography the reader is referred in another part of this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Lindsay have a beautiful, modern home on West Fort Scott street, all buildings being kept in a good state of repair and painted. He is well informed concerning everyday matters and recalls the pioneer times in Bates county when he carried the mails for the government, his memory of the conditions of things in those early days being excellent.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

WARREN LITTLEFIELD – The late Warren Littlefield, of New Home township, Union veteran, and successful farmer, was favorably known in Bates county. He was an industrious and enterprising citizen who was held in high esteem by all who knew him in this county, and his influence was ever felt on the side of good deeds and worthy movements. He was born August 11, 1834, and died January 25, 1906. Mr. Littlefield was a native of Pennsylvania, and a son of George and Mary (Miller) Littlefield, natives of Pennsylvania, who removed to Brown county, Illinois, in 1840. In this county, under pioneer conditions, Warren Littlefield was reared to young manhood, and upon the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted on September 17, 1861, in Company C, Third Missouri Cavalry Regiment, and saw over three years of hard service in the southwest. He fought in many battles and skirmishes and was honorably discharged from the service November 26, 1864. He was married in 1866 and he and his young wife made their start in life on eighty acres of land which had been given to them by Mrs. Littlefield’s father. This tract they sold and in 1881 purchased one hundred twenty acres of land in New Home township, Bates county, Missouri, upon which Mr. Littlefield erected substantial improvements. To this farm they later added forty acres more from the old Sam McCowan place. The Littlefield farm is one of the best in Bates county and from year to year has yielded its owners excellent crops. Under Mr. Littlefield’s wise management the farm prospered and he accumulated sufficient of this world’s goods in the form of money and property to maintain him and his devoted wife in comfort the remainder of their days. His death in 1906 was a sad loss to his family and the community in which he had long been held in high respect.
On July 4, 1866, in Illinois, the marriage of Warren Littlefield and Margaret Ellen Tyson was solemnized. Their marriage was blessed with the following children: Mrs. Augusta Vanatta, living in Iowa; Mrs. Eva Gray, residing near Lorimer, Iowa; Mrs. Ella Barnard, Montana; Minnie, wife of George Kelly, New Home township; Frank, at home with his mother and managing the home place; Harry, owner of the old Shannon farm in New Home township; Bertha, died at the age of twenty-four years; Alice died in infancy. Mrs. Margaret Ellen Littlefield, nee Tyson, was born in Schuyler county, Illinois, March 5, 1847, a daughter of George Tyson, one of the pioneers of Schuyler county, Illinois. George Tyson was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, in 1807, a son of Zephaniah Tyson, who was born in Virginia in 1771, who enlisted in the Indian Wars in 1790 and fought under General Wayne. He also fought in the War of 1812 under General Harrison. He married Margaret De Long, and in 1830 he moved to Illinois, dying there in 1849 at the age of seventy-eight years. George Tyson went to Cincinnati, Ohio, when a young man and worked on a flat boat, engaged in trading on the Ohio river for some time. He married Lucinda Bellamy of Culpepper county, Virginia, then sold his flat boat and went overland to Schuyler county, Illinois, where he accumulated 480 acres of land and became wealthy. He owned a saw-mill and a grist-mill which he operated with profit. In 1866 he went west and disappeared, his death probably coming at the hands of savage Indians. He also owned a half section of land in Henry county, Missouri. Mrs. Tyson died September 10, 1876. They were the parents of the following sons and daughters: Robert, deceased; Alfred, deceased, served in Second Illinois Cavalry Regiment during the Civil War; William, deceased, served in the One Hundred Fifteenth Illinois Infantry Regiment; Levi lives near Abilene, Kansas; Mrs. Caroline Kirkham, Mt. Sterling, Illinois; Mrs. Melissa Johnson, deceased; Mrs. Angeline Dimmick, deceased, whose husband was a Union veteran. Mrs. Warren Littlefield makes her home on the old family farmstead and is an intelligent, right-thinking woman who holds dear the memory of her late husband and keeps abreast of the times, being proud of the fact she and Mr. Littlefield are number among the early settlers of Bates county.
Mr. Littlefield was a stanch Republican, who, while he never sought political preferment, often attended political gatherings and delighted in hearing the issues of the day discussed and in discussing them among his friends and associates. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church which is also the church attended by Mrs. Littlefield. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, a very religious individual, a sterling, upright, moral citizen who loved his home life, and was good and kind to the members of his family. Mr. and Mrs. Littlefield are deserving of a place of honor in the annals of the county which they have assisted so ably in creating.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

THOMAS FRANKLIN LOCKWOOD, M.D., a prominent physician of Butler, Missouri, is a native of Illinois. Dr. Lockwood was born January 11, 1865 in Sangamon county, a son of Isaac S. and Sarah (Dunbar) Lockwood, the former a native of Ohio and the latter, of Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Isaac S. Lockwood were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Mary Jane Bartley, Denver, Colorado; Francis Marion, a successful farmer of Kay county, Oklahoma; George Harrison, of LaClede county, Missouri; Dr. Thomas Franklin, the subject of this sketch; Dr. William Albert, Ponca City, Oklahoma; Isaac Otis and Ira Elmer, twins, the former of whom was drowned at the age of twenty-one years in a vain attempt to save the life of a friend who also drowned in Osage Fork in LaClede county and the latter is now residing on a farm in LaClede county; and two children died in infancy. Isaac S. Lockwood was of Scotch descent. He was a widely known and highly respected pioneer of Barton county and was a resident of that part of the state of Missouri when the Civil War broke out and at that time he returned to Illinois. The Lockwoods had come to Missouri in the early fifties. Mr. Lockwood was a carpenter and millwright and built and operated several mills in the Ozark region and rebuilt many more. In the later years of his life, he devoted his time and energies to agricultural pursuits in LaClede county, to which he came after the Civil War had ended. Isaac S. Lockwood died in 1903 at the age of sixty-six years and Mrs. Lockwood joined him in death in 1913. Both father and mother were interred in the cemetery at New Hope.
Dr. Lockwood’s childhood and youth were spent in Illinois and Missouri and the public schools of both states afforded him the means of a good elementary education. He early determined to devote himself to medical work and entered Northwestern Medical College, from which institution he graduated in 1887. Dr. Lockwood completed his work at Northwestern Medical College, St. Joseph, Missouri, with a highly creditable record and then entered the Medical College of Nashville, Tennessee, from which he obtained his degree in 1895. Dr. Lockwood began the practice of his profession at Conway, Missouri, in LaClede county and was there located for six years, coming to Butler in the autumn of 1895. He moved to his present office, on the north side of the public square in this city, about 1900.
June 20, 1886, Dr. Thomas Franklin Lockwood and Ellen J. Barr were united in marriage. Mrs. Lockwood is a daughter of Dr. S.B.F.C. Barr, who before his coming to Missouri, was a leader of the medical profession in Lebanon, Tennessee. Dr. Barr was a native of Tennessee as is also his daughter, Mrs. Lockwood. Dr. Barr was a graduate of the old Vanderbilt Medical College, of Nashville, Tennessee. Dr. Barr died about the year 1881 in LaClede county, Missouri, where he had retired on a farm.
To Dr. and Mrs. Lockwood have been born two children: Eda Ethel, the wife of Talmage D. Crawford, of Nevada, Missouri, and the mother of two children, Mary Carmen and Franklin DeWitt; and Oscar Harris Lockwood, who is at home with his parents. Dr. Lockwood is a valued and worthy member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Woodmen of the World and the Yeomen. He is also affiliated with both the Bates County and Missouri State Medical Associations. He has served as secretary of the Bates County Medical Society and was vice-president of the State Medical Association in 1913. At the 1914 session of the latter association, Dr. Lockwood was the orator on medicine and he delivered an address on professional reminiscences, a plea for unity in the medical profession, a scholarly talk which displayed profound erudition and elicited much praise from the different members of the society. Dr. Lockwood is the local surgeon for the Missouri Pacific Railway Company and secretary of the Board of United States Examining Surgeons.
Dr. Lockwood does not belong to the class of professional men who are content with past achievements, but he is a constant student, keeping in touch with the latest discoveries and researches of medical science. In various ways, the doctor has been and is identified with the material prosperity of his city and his name is almost invariably found in connection with all enterprises for the public welfare.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.B. LOTSPEICH, an honored pioneer citizen, Confederate veteran, and prosperous agriculturist, is a native of this state. Mr. Lotspeich was born October 16, 1841, at Springfield, Missouri, son of Ralph and Nancy (Gilliland) Lotspeich. Ralph Lotspeich was a native of Georgia. He came to Missouri among the earliest settlers, about 1841, and located near Springfield, later settling on a farm in Cooper county, where he died in 1895. Nancy (Gilliland) Lotspeich was a native of Tennessee. She died in 1899 and her remains were laid to rest in Pilot Grove cemetery in Cooper county, beside those of her husband. Ralph and Nancy Lotspeich were the parents of the following children: J.B., the subject of this sketch; Robert, a Confederate soldier of the Civil War, who served under General Price and was killed in the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas; James, a veteran of the Confederacy, who served under Generals Price and Shelby and was shot through the hips in a skirmish in Arkansas, whose death occurred in 1898; Sarah, the widow of Marion Burney, who was killed while serving in the Confederate army in a skirmish in Arkansas; Ossin, Yelton, Oklahoma; William, Pettis county, Missouri; Ollie, the wife of R.S. Nelson, Springfield, Missouri; and Charles, who died in Cooper county, Missouri about 1907.
When J.B. Lotspeich was a youth, there were no public schools in Missouri and he was instructed at home and in private schools in Cooper county. He was a young man, twenty years of age, when the Civil War broke out and he enlisted with the Confederates and served until the close of the long struggle of four years. Mr. Lotspeich actively participated in battles fought in Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee and at the time of General Lee’s surrender was in Mississippi. About 1870, he located on a farm in Saline county and there remained ten years, coming to Bates county in 1880 to reside on a rented farm, which was situated where the townsite of Adrian now is, for one year. He then purchased eighty acres of land, lying near the present site of Amsterdam, and four years later traded it for a tract of one hundred sixty acres of land five miles north of Butler, paying the difference in the value of the two farms, and the latter country place is still in Mr. Lotspeich’s possession and it has been his home for the past twenty years. He has been very successful in farming, stockraising, and feeding and in addition to his home farm has bought and now owns one hundred ten acres of land in section 21 and one hundred forty-five acres of land in section 33 in Mound township, a portion of which is the townsite of Passaic in Bates county. Mr. Lotspeich was residing on the rented farm, the townsite of Adrian, when the railroad was built through in 1880. He recalls how the town “boomed” from the very beginning, and, contrary to the general rule of places of mushroom growth, Adrian is today still one of the best towns in the county. Prior to the building of Adrian, the principal trading point for the people of that vicinity was Crescent Hill, where Henry Fair and Nelson and Henry Moudy were the leading merchants. Mr. Lotspeich well remembers how the whole town of Crescent Hill literally moved to Adrian, when the railroad came.
In 1871, J.B. Lotspeich and Nannie Jester, daughter of Stephen and Bettie (Saunders) Jester, of Marshall, Saline county, Missouri, were united in marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Jester were natives of Kentucky. To J.B. and Nannie Lotspeich have been born eight children, seven of whom are now living: Luolla, the wife of C.A. Campbell, Butler, Missouri; Jester, who died in 1885 at the age of seven years; Hugh, who resides in Wyoming but receives mail from the postoffice at Decker, Montana; Ernest, who resides in Wyoming; Percy, Mecaha, Montana; Johnny, the wife of Orval Ray, Butler, Missouri; Ralph, Decker, Montana; and Frank, who was, at the time of this writing in 1917, with the United States Navy Training Camp at Mare Island, California studying wireless telegraphy, having enlisted at Denver, Colorado on June 18, 1917 and is now aboard the battleship “Connecticut.” Mrs. Lotspeich was a member of the Christian church for several years prior to her marriage and in Saline county in 1876 Mr. Lotspeich joined the same church.
Distinctively one of the leading farmers and stockmen of Bates county, J.B. Lotspeich is exceptionally worthy of mention in a work of this character, pre-eminently entitled to be classed with the enterprising, representative, “self-made” men of Missouri. The firstborn of a large family of eight children, Mr. Lotspeich enjoyed by few advantages in his youth and experienced all the privations and straits of pioneer life and war. Early in life he mastered the lessons of industry, thrift, and self-reliance, lessons few college graduates grasp, and beginning life with but limited financial resources, with innumerable difficulties to overcome, he has acquired a sufficiency of this world’s goods to make the remainder of his long life of usefulness comfortable and free from care.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

DEL LUTSENHIZER, a prominent farmer and stockman of Bates county, Missouri, is a member of an honored pioneer family of this section of the state. Mr. Lutsenhizer was born September 17, 1878 on the farm where his grandfather, Jacob Lutsenhizer, had settled in 1839. He is a son of Thomas and Sallie (Ewin) Lutsenhizer. Thomas Benton Lutsenhizer was born in Bates county, March 29, 1842, a son of Jacob Lutsenhizer, a son of Henry and Judith (Marchand) Lutsenhizer, and who came to Missouri from Ohio with his family and settled on a tract of land located three miles southeast of the present townsite of Spruce, Missouri, which land he entered from the government in 1839. The forerunner of the Lutsenhizers in Bates county, Missouri was Henry Lutsenhizer and with him came William Lutsenhizer, brother of Jacob and they settled on land entered from the government in 1837, a tract located in Deepwater township two miles southeast of the present townsite of Spruce. Henry Lutsenhizer laid out the road from Johnstown to Pleasant Gap, and near the latter place his brother, William, died. Jacob Lutsenhizer came two years later than did Henry and William and soon became one of the leaders of the settlement. He served as the first county judge of Bates county. He lived but five years after coming West, his death occurring in 1844. Henry Lutsenhizer went to California in 1848, at the time of the excitement over the discovery of gold in that state, and when he left this country his home was situated in Vernon county, as the boundaries were in those days. Mr. Lutsenhizer returned to Missouri after fifty years and, much like Rip Van Winkle and not having been in touch with the progress of the county, he sought in vain for his old home. During his absence, the natural changes of a half century of progress had taken place. Bates county had been formed. His relatives at Butler, learning of his return, located him at Nevada, where he, an old man of ninety years, was patiently searching for some trace of his old homestead and friends. He came to Butler and visited his people for many weeks and spent the rest of his days with Thomas Benton Lutsenhizer and died in 1902. His farm is now owned by Del Lutsenhizer.
Judith (Marchand) Lutsenhizer was a daughter of David Marchand, of French-Huguenot descent, and who served in the Revolutionary War. He was a native of Pennsylvania. The Lutsenhizers were Pennsylvanians also. David Marchand was a surgeon with rank of captain. He was a son of Dr. David Marchand, whose ancestry goes back to 1700.
Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Lutsenhizer were the parents of five daughters, all of whom were early-day school teachers of Bates county, namely: Mrs. Sarah Durand, deceased; Margaret, deceased; Esther, deceased; Susan, deceased; and Abiah, the wife of J.R. Simpson, and the only one now living. Mrs. Lutsenhizer and her children were obliged to move from their home place near Spruce to Henry county, Missouri, on account of Order Number 11 and she died in Henry county two months after they had moved.
In 1875, Thomas Benton Lutsenhizer and Sallie Ewin, a daughter of William Ewin, were united in marriage. Sallie (Ewin) Lutsenhizer is a descendant of one of the first families of Missouri. Her father was born April 13, 1819, in Howard county, Missouri, a son of Watts Ewin, who came with his wife to this country when it was still a territory and they settled near Fort Homestead in 1817. Mr. and Mrs. Watts Ewin brought with them from Kentucky a setting of eggs which they hatched in a chimney corner by keeping them warm as they had no hen to sit upon them. This was probably the first incubator, and the finest of its day, in use in Missouri. To Thomas B. and Sallie (Ewin) Lutsenhizer were born the following children, who are now living: May, Kansas City, Missouri; Del, the subject of this review; and Jessie B., the wife of Walter B. Kelly, of Kansas City, Missouri. Thomas B. Lutsenhizer was a veteran of the Confederate army in the Civil War. He was taken prisoner from his own home by the Union forces and placed in prison at St. Louis, where he was confined for three or four months before he was exchanged and thus given his liberty. He then enlisted with the Confederates and served until the close of the war, serving with General Parson’s brigade, the Sixteenth Missouri Infantry, and he was at Shreveport, Louisiana, at the time of the surrender in 1865. Thomas Benton Lutsenhizer died June 21, 1900. The widowed mother makes her home at Kansas City, Missouri, with her daughter, Mrs. Walter B. Kelly.
Del Lutsenhizer received his education in the district schools of Deepwater township, Bates county. He remained at home with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age. Mr. Lutsenhizer’s farm comprises one hundred sixty acres of land, formerly owned by his great uncle, Henry Lutsenhizer, and formerly known as the William Ludwick place. He is profitably engaged in raising cattle, hogs, sheep, and mules and is prominently identified with the agricultural interests of Bates county.
The marriage of Del Lutsenhizer and Blanche Price, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M.H. Price, of Summit township, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume, was solemnized June 22, 1904, and to this union have been born two children: Hazel Fern, who was born September 19, 1905; and Howard Benton, who was born August 18, 1911. Mr. and Mrs. Lutsenhizer are highly respected in their community and they are numbered among the valued citizens of Bates county.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Return to

Bates County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.