Welcome to
Bates County
Missouri


Biographies
~ O ~



WILLIAM Y. OSBORNE, a prominent citizen of Butler, a retired farmer and stockman of Charlotte township, is a native of West Virginia, a descendant of one of the leading colonial families of the South. Mr. Osborne was born July 19, 1847 at Franklin in Pendleton county, West Virginia, a son of J.W. and Rachel Griggsby (Hamilton) Osborne. J.W. Osborne was one of the beloved Methodist ministers of the South, one who was engaged in ministerial work for fifty years. His son, W.Y., treasures among his priceless possessions the Bible which Reverend Osborne has when he entered the ministry at the age of twenty-five years. J.W. Osborne was a son of Joseph Osborne, a veteran of the War of 1812, who took an important part in the battle of Baltimore, who was the son of an English officer that had been in the siege of Yorktown, the turning point in the Revolutionary War of 1776, when Cornwallis surrendered on October 19, 1781 with his eight thousand men. Rachel Griggsby (Hamilton) Osborne was a daughter of a wealthy plantation owner and slave holder, John Hamilton. W.Y. Osborne has been given a book by his mother’s side, Mrs. Henrietta (Hamilton) McCormick, which volume contains the genealogy of the Hamilton family, tracing the lineage of Mr. Osborne back to ancestors of prominence in the Civil War, in the War of 1812, in the Revolutionary War, and in Scotland. Two brothers of Mrs. J.W. Osborne, the mother of W.Y. Osborne, were active participants in the War of 1812. The Griggsbys, Hamiltons, and McCormicks were of the “F.F.V.’s.” Mrs. Henrietta McCormick has in her possession the powder horn carried by Alexander McNutt in the battle of the Cowpens, fought January 17, 1781, one of the most important engagements of the Revolutionary War. Rev. J.W. Osborne departed this life in April, 1881 at Baltimore, Maryland. He was seventy-five years of age. To Rev. J.W. and Mrs. Osborne were born the following children, who are now living: W.Y., the subject of this review; Dr. Oliver, a well-known attorney of St. Paul, Missouri; John H., a prosperous capitalist of Elk Falls, Kansas; and Virginia Elizabeth, of Chicago, Illinois.
W.Y. Osborne attended the city schools of Chicago, Illinois and Bryant & Stratton Commercial College of Chicago. He was employed in commission houses in Chicago for six years and then retired from business and began farming in Illinois near Chicago and in other parts of the state. Mr. Osborne left Illinois in March, 1875 and went to Texas, in which state he was for six years employed in the sheep raising business on a large ranch, having at one time a herd of seven thousand sheep on the range. He has in his early manhood traveled extensively, visiting and residing in many different states, and since June, 1881 he has been the owner of a valuable farm comprising one hundred twenty acres of land in Charlotte township, Bates county, Missouri. To his original holdings in this county, Mr. Osborne has since added a tract of forty acres of land and on this farm of one hundred sixty acres his son, William E., now lives. W.Y. Osborne was for many years one of the successful and influential farmers and stockmen of his township. He moved from his country place to Butler in December, 1914 and now resides at 310 Fort Scott street in this city. He and Mrs. Osborne are spending the closing years of their lives, which have been spent in hard but honorable labor, in quiet comfort and ease. Their home in Butler is a beautiful, modern residence and Mr. Osborne enjoys working in his garden and in reading when he can no longer be employed out-of-doors. He has traveled all over the plains of the Southwest and while in the business of sheep growing was located at Colfax county, New Mexico. He is a most interesting conversationalist and the relation of his travels and experiences on the plains would make a remarkably valuable, instructive and delightful book.
The marriage of W.Y. Osborne and Eliza E. Cowgill was solemnized December 21, 1881. Eliza (Cowgill) Osborne is a daughter of James and Anna Barbara (Schaub) Cowgill, of Mount Carmel, Bates county, Missouri. Mr. Cowgill died in New Mexico in 1895 and Mrs. Cowgill joined him in death in July, 1898. The remains of each parent were brought back to Bates county, Missouri for burial and they are interred at Morris cemetery. To W.Y. and Eliza E. Osborne have been born six children: Mary M., the wife of Jesse Lynds, deputy United States marshal, Muskogee, Oklahoma; Perry H., of Mount Pleasant township; William E., of Charlotte township, on the home place; Grace M., the wife of Logan Cope, New Home township; Robert George, of St. Paul, Minnesota, who has been called for service in the army of the United States; and Lillian, who is at home with her parents. The Osbornes are widely and favorably known in this part of the state and in Bates county there is no family of higher standing.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

CLYDE C. OWENS, proprietor of a general store at Mayesburg, is one of Mingo township’s progressive “hustlers.” Mr. Owens is a native of Henry county, Missouri. He was born October 9, 1885, a son of Thomas and Allie (Showman) Owens, both of whom are natives of Ohio. Thomas Owens is a member of one of the sturdy and sterling pioneer families of Missouri. He came to this state when he was a very small boy with his parents, who settled on a farm near Urich. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Owens still reside at Urich, Missouri, the former, now at the advanced age of seventy-six years. Mrs. Owens is sixteen years the junior of her husband. They are the parents of four children, who are now living: Ada, the wife of Lon Ray, of Butler, Missouri; Kate, the wife of Arthur Scholl, of Wellsville, Kansas; Gladys, the wife of Fred Hillebrant, of Windsor, Missouri; and Clyde C., the subject of this review.
Clyde C. Owens attended school at Hickory Grove school house, at Lucas, and at Urich, Missouri. He was reared on a farm, but he began life for himself as a clerk in the employ of W.B. Morlan, at Urich, Missouri. Mr. Owens was later employed by H. Harvey, at Urich, Missouri. In 1915, the former purchased the Walter Gilbert general store at Mayesburg and for the past three years has been conducting this mercantile establishment, continuing the business established and doubling the trade. He carries a general line of merchandise, hauling the goods from Urich, nine miles away. Mr. Owens’ store is a widely-known market for country produce and he pays as good prices as are paid at railroad points. He enjoys a most liberal patronage. He is located on Rural Route 29 from Urich, Missouri. Besides the store, Mr. Owens is the owner of his residence.
February 15, 1912, Clyde C. Owens was married to Jessie Goodacre, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Goodacre, of Bolivar, Missouri. Both parents of Mrs. Owens are now deceased. She is a native of the state of Kansas. To Mr. and Mrs. Owens has been born one child, a daughter, Eunice Elizabeth. The Owens family is widely known in Bates county and no citizens in Mingo township stand higher in the public estimation than do Mr. and Mrs. Clyde C. Owens. Mr. Owens is a young man of unimpeachable honesty and integrity and he takes a comprehensive view of local affairs and is quick to respond to the calls made for aid in promoting the welfare and prosperity of the community in which he lives.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

HORACE BENTON OWEN, president of the Bank of Merwin, and the senior member of the milling and grain firm of Owen and Groves, Merwin, Missouri, was born at Greencastle, Indiana, Putnam county, December 7, 1859. He is a son of Reuben Smith and Eveline (Piercey) Owen, both of whom were born and reared in the Hoosier State. They removed to Independence, Missouri, in 1868 and after a residence there of a little over two years, they returned to Greencastle, where the father again took up farming in his native state. In 1885, the family again moved West, locating this time on a farm near Paoli, Kansas. One year later they located on an unimproved tract of land located north of Merwin in Bates county, Reuben Owen dying there in 1892. Reuben and Eveline Owen were parents of the following children: Edgar and Edwin, Kansas City, Missouri; H.B., subject of this review; Mrs. Sallie Kain, Fulton, Missouri; Mrs. Flora Yingst, Merwin, Missouri; Mrs. N.O. Davis, living at Sugar Creek, near Kansas City.
H.B. Owen accompanied his parents to Bates county and resided with his father on the home place until the latter’s death. He retained the home farm until the spring of 1902. He then sold it and locating in Merwin, he operated a creamery for one year, after which he leased the plant for a time and again took charge of it, establishing a milling and grain, hay and coal business. He operated the business alone until March, 1917, when George Groves became a partner in the concern.
The Owen Milling Company manufactures corn meal, chop feed, and Graham flour for purely local consumption, and the enterprise is a decided convenience for the farmers in this section. Mr. Owen has been operating the mill since 1905, and the initial building was erected in 1902. In 1906 he established his grain-buying and shipping business which is in a flourishing condition.
On February 13, 1895, Mr. Owen was married to Annie Patterson, born in Ohio, a daughter of John and Elmira (McDonough) Patterson, who migrated to Anderson county, Kansas, in 1883, and after one year’s residence in that county they settled in Cass county, Missouri, where both died, the former dying in 1894 and the latter departing this life in 1915. Mr. and Mrs. Owen have one adopted son, Russell, aged ten years.
Politically, Mr. Owen has always been allied with the Republican party and is an influential leader of his party in his section of the county. He served as tax collector, constable, and justice of the peace of West Boone township. He is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and has generally taken the lead in all enterprises which have been intended to advance the interests of his home town of Merwin, of which he is the leading citizen in many ways. He was one of the organizers of the Bank of Merwin and is president of this thriving financial concern. The Merwin Christian church is a living monument to his push and energy and devout interest in religious works. He was the leading spirit in the organization of this congregation and the chairman of the board of trustees which built the church, being probably the heaviest contributor to the building fund. He served as deacon of the church from its founding until he became elder of the congregation in 1911, and is also serving as chairman of the board of trustees. Mr. Owen enjoys the respect, esteem and confidence of the people of his home town and vicinity and has built up a splendid reputation for business integrity and honor which places him in the front rank of Bates county’s best citizens.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

MARTIN V. OWEN, an honored and highly valued citizen of Bates county, Missouri, a veteran of the Confederate army in the Civil War, president of the Adrian Banking Company of Adrian, Missouri, a prominent stockman of this section of the state, is a native of Kentucky. Mr. Owen was born February 17, 1840 in Daviess county, a son of M.B. and Jane (Haggard) Owen. M.B. Owen was a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Owen, a well-to-do farmer of Henry county, Kentucky prior to his marriage with Jane Haggard, a daughter of John Haggard, a native of Kentucky. The Owens came to Missouri from Kentucky in 1853 and located on a tract of land in Cass county, as the boundaries were at that time. At a later date, the county was divided and that part which belonged to the Owen family became a part of Bates county. Mr. and Mrs. M.B. Owen, with their children, took a boat at Owensboro in Daviess county, Kentucky, and landed at Westport Landing, Missouri, which was all that then existed of the present metropolis, Kansas City, and made the remainder of the journey in a wagon drawn by oxen. The father entered a vast tract of land in this part of Missouri and engaged in farming and stock raising.
Martin V. Owen was a bright, observing lad, thirteen years of age, when he came with his parents to Missouri and he has a most vivid recollection of the appearance and primitive condition of the country at that time, more than half a century ago. Roving bands of Indians frequently visited their settlement and of the dusky savages the young white boy was much afraid. In the fifties, there were few settlements in western Missouri except along the rivers and streams, practically none out on the open prairie. Mr. Owen has seen more than one destructive prairie fire. In his youth, supplies were obtained from Lexington, to which city the pioneers would go with a wagon drawn by oxen. It required four to five days to make the trip. Roads were simply beaten trails across the prairie and were frequently impassable. Wild game of many different kinds abounded and there was no need for the early settlers to be hungry as wild turkeys, ducks, geese, prairie chickens, and deer might easily be obtained. Martin V. Owen recalls one particular night in his youth, when the moon was shining brightly, that he in a few moments killed five wild turkeys. Wolves, too, made their unwelcome presence known and felt in the early days and countless times did young Martin V. Owen hear them as they howled around his wagon loaded with supplies, when he camped along the road from Lexington. Mr. Owen received his education in the “subscription schools” of what is now Grand River township, Bates county, Missouri.
The marriage of Martin V. Owen and Emma D. Porter, a daughter of David Porter, a highly respected pioneer of Bates county, Missouri, who settled in this part of the state about the time of the Civil War, was solemnized in 1882. To this union have been born three children: Mrs. Orpha Lee Robinson, Adrian, Missouri; Mrs. Ruby McCullough, Adrian, Missouri; and H.B., Adrian, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Owen are worthy and consistent members of the Baptist church. For nearly three score years and ten, the Owen family has been known and respected in Bates county, Missouri and the name has become the synonym of all that is good and true and upright.
During the Civil War, Martin V. Owen enlisted with the Confederates and served throughout the four-year-strife, being most of the time fighting with “Fighting Joe” Shelby. After the conflict had ended, Mr. Owen returned to Bates county, Missouri and again engaged in the peaceful pursuits of farming and stock raising. He became the owner of extensive stock interests in western Missouri and at one time was the proprietor of a stock farm comprising one thousand six hundred acres of valuable land in Bates county. In 1888, Mr. Owen was elected president of the Adrian Banking Company of Adrian, Missouri and two years afterward, in 1890, he moved with his family from the farm to this city, where he purchased a tract of land embracing eighty acres lying adjacent to the city limits. He has rebuilt the residence and now has one of the attractive, comfortable homes of Deer Creek township, a two-story structure of eight well-arranged rooms, surrounded by a beautiful lawn. Mr. Owen has spent the past thirty years in the study of the intricate problem of finance, but at present is not so active in business as in former years and he is planning to retire in the near future and to spend the closing years of his long life of usefulness, filled with thousands of days of long, hard toil, in well-earned restful peace and quiet.
No calling in life brings out and develops stronger, nobler qualities of manhood or insures a better success and more ample competence than does the ancient and honorable vocation of farming. To the early pioneer, the hardships and privations incident to spending the best years of life in transforming dense forests and trackless prairies and dismal swamps into rich, cultivated fields, orchards, and gardens, thriving villages, towns, and cities, were but stronger stimuli to build with his own toil-worn, weary hands a comfortable home which should be a place of rest and happiness in his declining years. The retired farmer can bring to mind many satisfying thoughts of the difficulties encountered and overcome, of the long, hard, upward struggle of the days agone recompensed by the sure reward, of the old scenes, and of the old, tried and true friends. Thus is the heart of him made glad, who labors long and diligently with an honorable purpose. Mr. Owen has passed the seventy-eighth milestone in life and we hope he may remain with us for many more years, that another score of years will be added to his now noble age, ere he hears the Master say, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

JUDGE A.B. OWEN, one of Bates county’s leading citizens, ex-collector of taxes in Grand River township and in Bates county, ex-treasurer of Bates county, and ex-mayor of Butler, is a native of this county. Mr. Owen was born in Grand River township, September 18, 1856. He is a worthy representative of a sterling pioneer family of this part of Missouri, a son of Crayton and Elizabeth (Haggard) Owen, both of whom were natives of Kentucky and among the earliest settlers of this state. Crayton Owen was born in Clark county, Kentucky in 1834. He came to Missouri with his father, Martin B. Owen, in 1842. The Owens settled on Elk Fork creek, where the father entered several hundred acres of land. Their trading was done at Lexington, Missouri, and the father would go with a yoke of oxen and a large wagon once a year and at that time would lay in a supply of provisions sufficient to last the twelve months. During the Civil War, when Order Number 11 was in force, Martin B. Owen moved with his family to Pettis county, Missouri, returning after the war had ended to the homestead, where he died and is buried. Crayton Owen was employed by the Missouri Pacific Railway Company, when they were building the road through Pettis and Johnson counties. After the Civil War closed, he returned to the farm and engaged in cattle buying and shipping. Mr. Owen was widely known as a successful stockman in Bates county, as a large shipper of stock. His shipping point was Holden, forty miles away. Elizabeth (Haggard) Owen was a daughter of Andrew Haggard, a native of Kentucky and a highly respected pioneer of Pettis county. In that county, Mrs. Owen was reared, educated and married. At her father’s home near Sedalia, Crayton Owen and Elizabeth Haggard were united in marriage in 1854 and soon afterward they settled on a farm in Grand River township. Mr. and Mrs. Crayton Owen were the parents of the following children: A.B., the subject of this review; Mrs. M.E. Powell, deceased; James, a civil engineer, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Anna Reeder, Adrian, Missouri; Mrs. May Taylor, Sedalia, Missouri; Mrs. Dottie Mitchell, Kansas City, Missouri; and Crayton, Jr., a prominent lumberman of Idaho. The father died in 1890 and his remains were buried in the family burial ground on the home place. Mrs. Owen died in 1916 at the age of seventy-five years and she was laid to rest in the cemetery at Kansas City, Missouri.
In the district schools of Bates and Pettis counties, Missouri, A.B. Owen obtained a good common school education. Until he was twenty-five years of age, he remained at home with his parents and then at that time began farming independently in Grand River township and engaged in stock raising. Mr. Owen served as collector of taxes in his township for nearly fifteen years prior to his election as county treasurer of Bates county in 1896 and re-election in 1898. He moved from the farm to Butler in the autumn of 1896 and at that time purchased his present home, a pleasant and comfortable residence located at 513 West Ohio street. Following the expiration of his four-year term in the treasurer’s office, A.B. Owen was appointed by Governor Folk to the position of county collector of taxes to complete an unexpired term. When Estes Smith, judge from the northern district, died, Mr. Owen was appointed by Governor Majors to fill the unexpired term of eighteen months. A.B. Owen has served two terms as mayor of Butler and while an incumbent in that office, there were more sidewalks built then at any other time in the history of the city. Though he is not now an official in the public service, Mr. Owen has still plenty of work to do in managing and attending to his financial interests, being the owner of property in Butler and Bates county and in Kansas City and a director of the Missouri State Bank and a director and stockholder of the Walton Trust Company.
December 23, 1879, A.B. Owen and Edna F. Reeder were united in marriage. Mrs. Owen is a daughter of Joseph Reeder, of Mingo township. Mr. Reeder was a native of Virginia. He settled in Mingo township prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. To A.B. and Edna F. Owen has been born one child, a daughter, Jennie, who is now the wife of Dr. J.S. Newlon, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. Dr. and Mrs. Newlon are the parents of one child, a son, Robert Owen. Mr. and Mrs. Owen are active and valued members of the Christian church, of which Mr. Owen has been a member since he was twenty-one years of age and a deacon for almost that entire period.
Mr. Owen is a man of sound, practical sense, unflinching integrity, and scrupulous honor. He is a progressive business man in all that the term implies. He has always taken an active interest in the growth and development of his township and county.
 History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Return to

Bates County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.