Welcome to
Bates County
Missouri


Biographies
~ R ~



JAMES H. RAYBOURN, ex-deputy clerk of Bates county, Missouri, ex-assessor of Deepwater township, ex-secretary and a present member of the board of directors of the Mutual Fire and Lightning Insurance Company of Bates county, is one of the brave clan of noble pioneers of this county and a representative of one of the oldest families of western Missouri. Mr. Raybourn is a native of Missouri. He was born in Henry county on his father’s farm near Calhoun in 1843, a son of John C. and Sarah P. (Pinkston) Raybourn, natives of Madison county, Kentucky. John C. Raybourn came to Missouri among the earliest settlers and located on a tract of land in Henry county near Calhoun, where his son, J.H., the subject of this review, was born. The Raybourns settled in Missouri about 1840 and Mr. Raybourn lived but a few brief years to enjoy the new Western home. He died in Kentucky, while on a visit to the old homestead, in 1845 and interment was made in that state. John C. Raybourn was one of the leading business men of Henry county in his day and although he was a resident of the county but a short time before his death his future career appeared bright and promising, when in early, vigorous manhood he was cut down by the Grim Reaper, leaving a widow and five little ones, J.H., then a babe two years of age, in a strange country and with little financial support. J.C. and Sarah Raybourn were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Elizabeth M. Myers, Everett, Washington; Elihu G., who died at Appleton City, Missouri, in 1911, at the age of seventy-four years; William B., who is engaged in farming in Hudson township on land entered from the government by their stepfather, John D. Myers; J.H., the subject of this review; and George W., of Sedan, Kansas. John C. Raybourn was a member of the jury in Henry county that sentenced the first man to be hanged in that county. The cabin home built by him in the early forties on his land two or three miles northeast of Calhoun is still standing. There is the birthplace of J.H. Raybourn. Mrs. Sarah P. Raybourn remarried, her second husband being John D. Myers. Mr. Myers and Mrs. Raybourn were united in marriage in 1847 and to them were born four children, all of whom are now deceased: Clay F., who died at Appleton City in the eighties; Dewitt Clinton, who died about 1879; Oscar F., deceased; and Sarah, who died in infancy during the Civil War and is buried in a cemetery near Dresden, in Pettis county, Missouri. John D. Myers was a native of Pennsylvania, but he was reared to maturity in Virginia. He came to Missouri in the early days and settled in Bates county, where he was for years one of the leading citizens and a prominent man of affairs. He served two or more terms as member of the county court and was presiding judge at the time of the outbreak of the Civil War. In the years immediately following the Civil War, Mr. Myers served as county clerk of Bates county. Mrs. Sarah P. Raybourn Myers died at Appleton City, Missouri, in July, 1890.
When J.H. Raybourn was a small lad, he recalls being taken on horseback with his stepfather, Mr. Myers, to Butler to attend the county court in the days before the prairies were taken up by the early settlers and that they would not pass a dwelling on the way. Mr. Raybourn came to Bates county, Missouri, with his mother and stepfather about 1847, and they settled on land, section 6, in Hudson township, which is now occupied by William B. Raybourn. The land was entered by Mr. Myers, who died in the seventies and was buried in High Point cemetery in Hudson township. J.H. Raybourn obtained his education in the “subscription schools” of Bates county, in the “log college” of Hudson township, as he himself states. His stepsister, Catherine Myers, was his first instructor. Mr. Raybourn afterward attended school at Dresden and Knob Noster. At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Mr. Raybourn left Bates county and took up his residence with his uncle in Henry county for three months and then joined his parents at Smithton in Pettis county. They returned to their home in Bates county in 1862 and in August of the same year Mr. Raybourn returned to this county. The First Iowa Cavalry were stationed at Butler and he joined the Missouri State Militia, enrolled under Captain Newberry, and served with his company until it was disorganized. Mr. Raybourn then joined the Fifth Provisional Regiment, and later, the Forty-fifth Missouri Infantry, and with the latter remained until the close of the war in 1865. After the war, John D. Myers assumed his official duties as county clerk, circuit clerk and ex-officio recorder and J.H. Raybourn was appointed his deputy. They were in office at the time the Bates County Court was held at Pleasant Gap, in 1865, and in the spring of 1866 Mr. Raybourn hauled the records to Butler and placed them in the temporary offices of the Bates county clerk, located on the southeast corner of the clerk’s office and, after vacating his official position, was employed as assistant in mercantile establishment in Butler for many years. Early in the seventies, he purchased his present stock farm in Deepwater township, a place comprising one hundred fifty acres of land, and moved to it and there resided until 1912, when he moved to the country place located one mile south, where he has since resided. Mr. Raybourn still holds his original holdings, however.
J.H. Raybourn’s first wife was Ada V. Holloway, of Cass county, a daughter of Thomas Holloway, an early settler on Tennessee branch, which took its name from the fact that Mr. Holloway came from Tennessee. Mr. Holloway planted one of the first orchards in Cass county of apple trees grown from the seed taken from apples he had brought from Tennessee; but no two trees bore fruit alike or like the original apples. Ada V. Raybourn was a good, devoted wife. The marriage of J.H. Raybourn and Telitha V. Van Hoy was solemnized January 1, 1879. Mrs. Raybourn was born in 1851 in Henry county, Missouri, a daughter of Capt. John M. and Mary (Ludwig) Van Hoy, the former, a native of North Carolina and the latter, of Pennsylvania, both of whom are now deceased. The Van Hoys were honored pioneers of Henry county. Capt. John M. Van Hoy was an officer in the Federal army in the Civil War and he served as sheriff of Henry county for many years prior to the war. He was a prominent and influential politician of Henry county. His death occurred in Pettis county and his wife died in Bates county. To J.H. and Telitha Raybourn have been born the following children: Paul D., who died January 24, 1903 at the age of twenty-three years, while a student at Missouri State University, a graduate of Appleton City Academy; Mabel, who died in infancy; Stella D., the wife of Payton R. Davis, of St. Clair county, Missouri; Arthur, who died in infancy; Mary Alice, the wife of Lon Varns, Appleton City, Missouri; J.T., who is engaged in farming on the home place; C.V., a well-known farmer of Deepwater township, and L.T., deceased, who were twins. By the former marriage, Mr. Raybourn is the father of three children, who are, namely: Mattie P., the wife of Henry Smizer, deceased about eight years, her death occurring at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Professor C.B., who has been superintendent of the Littleton Public Schools, Littleton, Colorado for the past fifteen years, in charge of the city and county schools; and D.C., Mountainburg, Arkansas. Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Raybourn are worthy and consistent members of the Presbyterian church, and regular attendants of the Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian church.
Mr. Raybourn has for many years been a prominent citizen of his township. He has served the people of Deepwater township as assessor and as a member of the township school board. He was formerly secretary of the Mutual Fire & Lightning Insurance Company of Bates county and for the past eighteen years has been a member of the directorate of the company. He is numbered among the representative and substantial farmers and stockmen of Deepwater township, in which township he owns two hundred twenty acres of valuable land. The hospitality and geniality of Mr. and Mrs. Raybourn are proverbial and there is no more highly respected and esteemed family in Bates county, Missouri. In point of years of residence in Bates county (seventy-one years) Mr. Raybourn is the oldest pioneer. He has continuously resided in this county for seventy-one years.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

D.B. REIST, the capable and highly respected cashier of the Adrian Banking Company of Adrian, Missouri, formerly local manager of the Hurley Lumber Company of Adrian, an ex-councilman of this city, is a native of Indiana. Mr. Reist was born in 1876 at Flora in Carroll county, Indiana, a son of J.W. and Mrs. Reist. His mother died when he was an infant ten months of age and he was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. W.B. Switzer, natives of Indiana, who reared and educated him. They moved from Indiana to Missouri in 1880 and located at Rich Hill, where they resided two years, and in 1882 purchased a small tract of land located three miles east of Adrian, to which they moved.
Mr. Reist, whose name introduces this review, obtained his education in the public schools of Bates county, Missouri. He was a small lad, four years of age, when he came with his foster parents to this part of the country and while the Switzers resided at Rich Hill he attended school at that place, school being held in the old Presbyterian church building. When they moved to their farm, D.B. Reist attended school at Little Deercreek school house. Mrs. W.B. Switzer was employed as teacher of Little Deercreek school the first session which Mr. Reist attended. After he had completed the prescribed course of study, he continued to reside with Mr. and Mrs. Switzer and to assist with the work on their farm. In 1900, Mr. Reist located at Adrian, where he accepted a position with the Hurley Lumber Company of Adrian and for four years was local manager of the lumber yards in this city and for two years at Archie. In 1906, Mr. Reist resigned his position with the Hurley Lumber Company of Archie, returned to Adrian, and accepted a position as bookkeeper with the Adrian Banking Company and the ensuing year he was elected assistant cashier. Since August 1, 1911, Mr. Reist has been faithfully and competently filling the position of cashier of the Adrian Banking Company.
The marriage of D.B. Reist and Minnie M. Stilwell, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Stilwell, was solemnized in 1899 and to this union has been born one child, a daughter, Nadine B., who is at home with her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Reist are worthy and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Reist has been superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday School for nine years and, at the time of this writing in 1918, is president of the Deercreek Township Sunday School Association. They own their home in Adrian in addition to a farm in Grand River township and Mr. Reist is a stockholder and director of the Adrian Banking Company.
The Adrian Banking Company of Adrian, Missouri, was organized in 1883 with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars and the following officers: H. Moudy, president; J. Scudder, cashier; and John Murphy, H. Moudy, A.J. Satterlee, J. Scudder, H.F. Wilhite, H.L. Fair, J.N. Bricker, and F.J. Taggard, stockholders, seven of whom were directors. Of the eight original stockholders, three are now living, namely: H. Moudy, H.L. Fair, and H.F. Wilhite. Mr. Moudy and Mr. Fair reside at Adrian and Mr. Wilhite is a resident of Lordsburg, Los Angeles county, California. This financial institution was first started in 1882 as a private bank and did not organize as the Adrian Banking Company until one year later. June 2, 1885, the capital stock was increased from ten thousand dollars to fifteen thousand dollars and since that time there has been a further increase to twenty-five thousand dollars, which in itself speaks well for the efficient management of the bank. The present officers of the Adrian Banking Company are as follow: M.V. Owen, president; D.F. Andes, vice-president; D.B. Reist, cashier; and W.W. Ricketts, assistant cashier; and M.V. Owen, D.F. Andes, J.M. Reeder, G.L. Argenbright, and D.B. Reist, directors. This bank is one of the strong, sound financial institutions of Bates county, of which all are proud, and its remarkable success from the very beginning is undoubtedly due to its wise management by gentlemen of superior business ability, whose integrity, as well as financial standing, is far above question.
Politically, D.B. Reist is a member of the Republican party. He has held different offices of public trust, he has served as a member of the city council of Adrian, and he has been secretary of the Adrian school board. He takes a deep interest in lodge work and is affiliated with the Odd Fellows at Adrian. Mr. Reist was a representative from the Adrian chapter to the Grand Lodge for two years and he is a nominee for the position of grand warden. He was for two years district deputy grand warden of Bates county. Mr. Reist is not only an able financier, but an honorable, courteous gentleman, one of the county’s valuable, substantial, public-spirited citizens.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

HENRY REINHEIMER, a late prominent and influential citizen of Butler, Missouri, the founder of the Butler & Rich Hill Telephone Exchange, was a native of Australia. Mr. Reinheimer was born March 15, 1862 at Castlemaine in the province of Victoria, a son of Peter and Catherine Reinheimer. When Henry Reinheimer was a child, six years of age, his parents emigrated from Australia and came to America, locating first in Canada, where they remained for one year and then moved to the United States, coming to Missouri in 1869 and settling in Shelby county, where the son was reared and educated.
Mr. Reinheimer, the subject of this review, attended the public schools of Shelby county, Missouri. In early youth, he engaged in farming, but about 1882 he had mastered the photographer’s art and for several years he traveled over Shelby county engaged in the work of photography. He located at Shelbyville in 1888, where he opened a general mercantile establishment and until 1891 was one of the successful and leading merchants of that place. In 1891, Mr. Reinheimer disposed of his business in Shelbyville and moved to Butler, Missouri, where he installed a system of telephones which has developed into the Butler & Rich Hill Telephone Exchange. At that time, the Rich Hill Bank and the Bates County National Bank had a private telephone system connecting them, but so far as is known no one had as yet conceived the commercial possibilities of the telephone until the coming of Henry Reinheimer.
With less than one hundred telephones all told in the city of Butler, Henry Reinheimer started to put his idea into concrete working form. The charge for a telephone at that time was one dollar and twenty-five cents for residence purposes and one dollar and seventy-five cents for business purposes, payable quarterly. The people of Butler called him the “crazy Dutchman,” when Mr. Reinheimer started business, but undaunted he proceeded to carry out his conception, for his own experience at Shelbina and Shelbyville before coming to Butler had convinced him that he could make a success of the commercial telephone, and time has proven his judgment sound and correct. The telephone business grew so rapidly that within a very short time the farmers took up the proposition of connecting with lines installed by Mr. Reinheimer and they ran lines to the city limits of Butler, where he connected with them. At the time of his death, in 1912, Mr. Reinheimer had about eleven hundred telephones in operation in Bates county, with exchanges at Butler, Rich Hill and Spruce. After his death, his widow continued to control the business for three years, when she sold to H.W. Neuschafer, a nephew of the deceased owner, who sold the business after a few months to F.M. Campbell, the present owner.
In 1905, Henry Reinheimer and Maudelle Wood, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. A.G. Wood, of Lentner, Missouri, were united in marriage. Dr. A.G. Wood was a native of Santiago, Cuba, and Mrs. Wood was born in Kentucky. Doctor Wood was a nephew of Fernando Wood, at one time mayor of New York City and a noted politician of that state. The doctor came to Missouri when he was a child, five years of age, coming with his parents, who settled in Shelby county. Dr. A.G. and Mrs. Wood were the parents of nine children, all of whom are now living: Fernando, of Houston, Texas; Mrs. Maudelle (Wood) Reinheimer, the widow of the subject of this review; Miss Bunton, of Butler, Missouri; Mrs. R.J. Smith, Butler, Missouri; Mrs. A.E. Smith, Shelbina, Missouri; Lamar, Monroe City, Missouri; and Clunette, Gertrude, and Dr. A.N. Wood, all of whom resided at home with their widowed mother in Lentner, Missouri. Dr. A.N. Wood is now a first lieutenant, Medical Department, United States Aviation Corps, Waco, Texas. Doctor Wood, Sr., died in 1914 at the age of eighty-three years. To Henry and Maudelle Reinheimer were born two children, Mary Catherine and Martin Wood. Mr. Reinheimer’s untimely death occurred at San Antonio, Texas, January 22, 1912. Mrs. Reinheimer and her two children reside in Butler at 403 North Delaware street.
Mr. Reinheimer was affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was a worthy and consistent member of the German Lutheran church. He was still a young man, but fifty years of age, when cut down by the Grim Reaper, yet those fifty years were crowded with great activity and endeavor and were not lived in vain. The life of man is much like the waves of the sea. They flash for a few brief moments, reflecting the sun’s golden beams, then are dashed upon the shore and disappear forever. The babe toddling from its crib is the man of tomorrow and with the lapse of a few short years is tottering toward the grave. Many in the innocence and beauty of childhood are taken to that “mysterious bourne whence no traveler ever returns,” thousands like Henry Reinheimer in manhood’s vigor and prime answer the last summons, while a few, like aged pilgrims going home from a long journey, lay down their staffs after three-quarters of a century of ceaseless toil and endeavor, yet at its greatest length how very short life is! It is for us, the living, to catch the inspiration from lives like Mr. Reinheimer’s and emulate their virtues so that, when the “summons comes to join the innumerable caravan which moves to that mysterious realm, we may, like him, approach the grave.
“Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch About him and lies down to pleasant dreams.”
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

ADELBERT REQUA – The Requa family is one of the oldest of the pioneer families of western Missouri and the name of Requa is inseparably connected with the foundation of the settlement and development of Bates county and this section of Missouri. Members of this family were founders of Harmony Mission established in the southern part of Bates county as early as 1821 and 1822. Considerable space is devoted to the history of Harmony Mission elsewhere in the historical section of this volume, to which the reader is referred. The Requa family is of French Huguenot origin, the ancestors of the family having fled from France before the American Revolution in order to escape religious persecution, on the part of the Roman church. The progenitors of the family in America settled in New York state, where they became prominently identified with affairs in that state during the colonial epoch of American history. They were true patriots and espoused the cause of American Independence during the Revolutionary period of our country’s history. No less than twelve members of this family bore arms and fought for the liberties of their country in the Revolutionary War. Four members of the family were commissioned officers in the Army of Independence. Dr. William Requa, a scholarly and talented man, was one of the founders of Harmony Mission. George Requa, paternal grandfather of “Del” Requa, whose name heads this review, was also a well-educated and devout man, one who was interested in Christianizing the Indians of the West. In 1826, he went to Fort Gibson, Arkansas and was connected with the Union Indian Mission at that point. In 1827 he came to what is now Bates county, and was connected with the Harmony Indian Mission until its abandonment in the early thirties. The Requas were all people of learning and intelligence and had a wide acquaintance among the men of letters in their day. Washington Irving, the famous novelist, during his travels, paid a visit to the Requa at Harmony Mission, and secured material for some of his stories while here. While a guest of George Requa, the took the father of “Del” Requa on his lap, Austin Requa then but an infant, and played with him.
Austin Requa, father of Adelbert, Misses Eulia and Clara Requa residing in Lone Oak township, was born at Fort Gibson, Arkansas, March 1, 1832, a son of George Requa, who first came to Bates county and located at old Harmony Mission in 1827 and made a permanent settlement in this county in 1832. The wife of George Requa was Mary Harmony Austin, whom he married in 1827 at Harmony Mission. They parents of Mary Harmony Austin were missionaries who had left their native state of Vermont to engage in mission work among the Indians of the West, teaching among the Osage Indians for a number of years. She was a cousin of Rev. R.R. Stoors, of Brooklyn, New York. When the mission disbanded in 1832, George Requa entered government land near what was formerly known as Stumptown, north of Lone Oak. He was postmaster for some years, the postoffice being located in the Requa residence. After his death, the widow still kept the postoffice. George and Mary Harmony Requa were parents of eight children: Mary Elizabeth, wife of Levi Pixley, who was a son of Rev. Benton Pixley, of Harmony Mission; Austin; William; James; George; Lucy, wife of David Redfield, a relative of A. Redfield, of Harmony Mission; Martha; Mattie, wife of Col. A.W. Robb, who enlisted in the Union army for service during the Civil War as a private and became a colonel. A daughter of Colonel Robb was the first white child born in Muskogee, Oklahoma. Cyrus Requa was the youngest child of George Requa.
Austin Requa was reared a farmer in Bates county and was inured to the hardships of frontier life. When he was an infant in arms, his parents made the journey from Fort Gibson to Harmony Mission. A crossing of the Osage river was necessary. The river was filled with ice. An Indian brought the family across the stream in a canoe, made of buffalo skin, towing by means of thong held in his teeth and swimming through the icy waters. In 1856, Austin Requa married Hannah A. Butler and also entered government land in Pleasant Gap township. Three of his brothers served in the Union army during the Civil War. The pine lumber used in the construction of the Requa home was hauled from Pleasant Hill, a distance of sixty miles. During the Civil War, Mr. Requa resided in Kansas for a portion of the time, and also saw service under the Union flag in the Kansas Home Guards. When the Lone Oak Presbyterian church was organized in 1868 he was made elder, an office which he held until his death, June 6, 1910. His wife died December 15, 1889. There were five children in the family of Austin and Hannah A. Requa, namely: Clara, who resides with her brother and her sister in Lone Oak township; George B., of near Reno, Nevada; Eulia, living with “Del” and Clara Requa; Elijah Stoors, Lone Oak township; and Adelbert or “Del” Requa. The land upon which the old Requa home place was built was entered by Austin Requa from the United States government and the land patent was signed by President Franklin Pierce.
Adelbert Requa, who is farming one hundred sixty acres of land in Lone Oak township, is also cultivating forty acres owned by his sister. He was born in Pleasant Gap township, August 2, 1872. He was educated in the schools of Bates county and has always followed the pursuits of a farmer and a stockman. He raises thoroughbred Hereford cattle and is a capable farmer whose place is a model of neatness and indicates close and thorough cultivation. The Requa home place is one of the most attractive places in Bates county. The land is well watered and was formerly covered with timber which grew in the deep rich soil, which has yielded bountiful crops for many years. Mr. Requa is a genial, whole-souled fellow, a Democrat in politics, and is prominent in political circles in his native county. He has served as assessor of Pleasant Gap township and as tax collector of Lone Oak township. Mr. Requa is accounted one of the ablest and most substantial of Bates county’s citizens and the members of this famous old family are held in high esteem throughout the county. No name in Bates county historical annals has greater significance or figures more prominently than Requa. It is an honored one and is and will be forever connected with the cradling of civilization in western Missouri.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

DR. WILLIAM C. REQUA was one of the ablest men sent out by the United Foreign Missionary Board. The impression generally prevails here that he was connected with Harmony; but this is error. He was sent to Union Mission near Ft. Gibson, Oklahoma, in 1820, a year previous, to the settlement at Harmony and that was the field of his labors for about twelve years, but he frequently visited Harmony for the purpose of studying the Osage language under the tutorship of a Mr. Williams, agent and interpreter at the United States factory only one mile down the river from Harmony station; and he translated parts of the New Testament into the Osage language. On October 2, 1822, following the earlier example of Brother Fuller, also of Union station, he wooed and won Miss Susan Comstock, of the Harmony station, formerly of Wilton, Connecticut, and carried her off in triumph to Union where there seems to have been great dirth of “females and mechanics,” as one of the writers states it. She came with him to Bates county, after Union station was abandoned, and died here in 1833. Two sons and a daughter of Doctor Requa by a subsequent marriage still reside on the old homestead in Lone Oak township; and they have preserved a bunch of rare letters, which we have been permitted to read, and which ought to be preserved by some historical society. In a letter from Miss Susan Comstock, dated at Harmony station, May 20, 1822, addressed to her “Dear Mother, Brothers and Sisters,” among other curious and interesting things she says: “My friends said I was coming to marry an Indian chief. I can inform them that I have had several solicitations of that kind from the head men in the nation, and one from old Sans Nerf, but I think I shall not grace the family with royalty at present. (The words above – “and one from old Sans Nerf” – are stricken out, but easily read.) When I tell them that I can not plant and hoe corn and carry wood on my back they do not urge the matter further.”
Now, old Sans Nerf was a chief of importance, and a proposal of marriage from him was a distinct honor; but just why Miss Comstock took the trouble to try to scratch out this interesting fact is a matter of conjecture. Possibly she was thinking then, May 20th, of the scholarly Dr. W.C. Requa, of Union station; or possibly she was afraid if she let the statement go it might in some get back to “Old Sans Nerf” and hurt his gallant heart. Like Sister Fuller, who married Brother Fuller, in about seven days after the family all got settled at Harmony, she did not have to wait long to become the honored wife of one of the most remarkable men ever sent out by the United Foreign Missionary Board.
After her death in 1833, Doctor Requa married Jane Montgomery, “who lived only one year,” in 1837; in 1840 he married Sarah A. Nutting, by whom he had nine children. He died in 1886, in his ninety-second year, honored and beloved by all who knew him. The author recalls having met him at his home in 1884, a vigorous-looking old gentleman at that time.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

J.B. RICE, farmer and dairyman, Mound township, was born in Nicholas county, Kentucky, near the town of Carlisle, September 20, 1856. He is a son of Morgan and Courtney (Dayton) Rice, both of whom were born and reared in Kentucky, where the spent their lives in the honorable pursuit of agriculture. They were parents of seven children, as follows: William, Indianapolis, Indiana; Lynn B., Lexington, Kentucky; Mary, deceased; Alice, deceased; Courtney, wife of Marion Buchanan, now deceased; Mrs. Sally Martin, Paris, Kentucky; and J.B., subject of this review, who was reared and educated in his native state where he resided until the attained the age of twenty-eight years.
Mr. Rice came to Bates county, Missouri, in 1884 and here purchased a tract of one hundred six acres of land, upon which he has been successfully following farming, stock raising and dairying. He keeps a herd of ten milch cows and hauls the cream from his dairy to the nearest shipping point. He also raises and feeds a large number of hogs each year and has become fairly well-to-do and is prominently identified with Bates county interests.
J.B. Rice was first married in 1881 with Emma Barnett, of Kentucky, who died in 1907, leaving three children: Walter M. and Dayton E., who are conducting a general store at Passaic, Missouri, under the firm name of Rice Brothers; and Vesta L., wife of C.A. Falk, of Passaic, Wyoming. Mr. Rice was married, on May 10, 1911, to May Crawford, a native of Fleming county, Kentucky. Mrs. Rice accompanied her parents to Bates county in 1879. She is a daughter of William Crawford, who settled in West Point township, near Amsterdam, in 1879.
Mr. Rice is a leader of the Democratic party in this county and has served two terms as township assessor. His conduct of the duties of his office was such as to give satisfaction to all concerned. He has been closely identified with party affairs and has served as a member of the county central committee for six years. He has several times served as delegate to county and state conventions and wields much influence in political affairs. He is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. Mrs. Rice is a member of the Baptist church. Both Mr. and Mrs. Rice have many friends in Bates county and they take an active part in social affairs in their neighborhood.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

W.W. RICKETTS, the well-known and competent assistant cashier of the Adrian Banking Company of Adrian, Missouri, is one of Bates county’s native sons whom all are proud to claim, a son of R.R. and Sarah Ricketts, the eldest of seven children born to his parents, who are as follow: W.W., the subject of this review; Mrs. Grace Blackman, Adrian, Missouri; Mrs. Ruby Blackman, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Phillis Hooper, Gillespie, Illinois; J.C., Adrian, Missouri; Mrs. Rosa Hardman, Drexel, Missouri; and Blanche, Adrian, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. R.R. Ricketts have an adopted son, Zolas. R.R. Ricketts came to Missouri from California in 1880 and settled on a tract of land, embracing one hundred acres located in Grand River township, where he has ever since been and now is engaged in farming and stock raising. He and his second son, J.C., are associated in partnership and they rent two hundred acres of land, in addition to their own farm, and are successfully conducting a very profitable business, both being intelligent, progressive, and industrious agriculturists, and they are widely and favorably known in Bates county.
Miss Edith White was employed as teacher of the Crawford school in Grand River township, Bates county, when W.W. Ricketts began his school work about twenty-five years ago. He was later taught by Curtis Smith and Mr. Gregg, while a pupil in the same school as mentioned above. Mr. Ricketts completed the public school course at Warrensburg in 1905 and immediately accepted a position at Kansas City, Missouri, with the National Bank of Commerce, which place he held for three years and then resigned to accept a position with the New England National Bank of Kansas City. Mr. Ricketts was with the latter institution three years when he came to Adrian, Missouri, in 1911, to assume the duties of assistant cashier of the Adrian Banking Company, a position he is filling with satisfaction to all concerned, at the time of this writing in 1918.
The marriage of W.W. Ricketts and Stella Smith, a daughter of W.H. and Anna Smith, of Cass county, Missouri, was solemnized in 1910. To this union has been born one child, a son, Gordon. Mrs. Ricketts is a member of the Christian church and Mr. Ricketts of the Methodist Episcopal church. They reside in Adrian, in which city they own an attractive residence and, in addition, two building lots. Mr. Ricketts is a stockholder of the Adrian Banking Company, a sketch of which institution will be found in connection with the biography of D.B. Reist, which appears elsewhere in this volume.
Mr. Ricketts is affiliated with the Democratic party and although he is a conscientious upholder of his political principles, he is by no means narrow or bigoted in his views. He has now for many years maintained an enviable standing in his home county, has filled with marked credit to himself several important positions of trust, and he possesses to an unusually large degree the confidence and respect of the people with whom he has so long been associated. W.W. Ricketts has attained his present high standing in this community not because of wealth, inheritance, or aid of influential friends but because of his own inherent worth and Adrian is proud to number him among the city’s most representative citizens.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.


ALONZO IRVING ROBERTS – For a period of forty-eight years Alonzo Irving Roberts has been a resident of Rockville township – a long span in which many things can happen. Mr. Roberts has seen the unbroken prairie transformed by the hand of man. He has witnessed the coming of the railway into his neighborhood and seen towns and villages spring up and grow apace. He, himself, has taken an active part in the development of this county and has created one of the finest farms in Bates county from what was unbroken prairie land. He purchased his present home place on April 6, 1870, and has lived thereon since that time. The Roberts farm is located one and three-fourth miles northeast of Rockville and consists of three hundred twenty acres. The original homestead consisted of but one hundred and twenty acres. The fine residence which domiciles the Roberts family was erected in 1903 and is a beautiful modern home of ten rooms – considered to rank among the finest homes in Bates county. The cyclone in April of 1916 did considerable damage to the home and buildings. The roof was torn off the house and carried some distance. Windows were blown out and carried away. It was necessary to rebuilt his large barn and another structure was blown entirely away, as were a silo, two poultry houses and a smoke house and ice house. The shop and implement sheds were torn down and destroyed. The big trees which had been the pride of their owner were destroyed as were a fine growing plum and peach orchard. Over four thousand dollars’ worth of damage was done to the property – all of which has since been replaced even better than before. Mr. Roberts is an extensive feeder of cattle and hogs and at this writing, February, 1918, he is wintering fifty-five head of cattle and one hundred head of porkers. Besides feeding all of the grain raised on his own land each season he buys grain in large quantities for the purpose of feeding his livestock.
Alonzo I. Roberts was born in Rockford, Illinois, in 1849, and is a son of William and Mary Roberts, who lived all of their days in Illinois and died there. Mr. Roberts received his education in his native state and in 1868 he came West and invested in one hundred twenty acres of land which he subsequently improved. He has practically grown up with Bates county and prospered as the county has gained in wealth.
Mr. Roberts was married on February 23, 1881 to Ulrika Larson, a daughter of Lars Poulson and Johanna, his wife, natives of Sweden who immigrated to America in 1879 and located in Rockville. Mr. Poulson died here in 1917 at the age of ninety-six years. For the last twenty years of his long life he was totally blind. Mrs. Poulson died in 1885, aged sixty-nine years. To Alonzo Irving and Ulrika Roberts have been born children as follow: Ira W., in charge of the home place, was educated in the Rockville schools and has remained on the home place excepting one year spent at Plano, Illinois, with the Independent Harvester Company’s Works, married Rose Hays, of Taborville, March 29, 1914, and is father of a daughter, Evelyn; Oscar B., who volunteered for service with the National army on July 24, 1917 and is now stationed at Camp Custer, Battle Creek, Michigan; Clara E., at home; Chester L., Rockville, Missouri, manager of the Farmers Co-operative Elevator Company, married Ida M. Rapp, November 29, 1916; Cora M., wife of Thomas D. Neale, St. Clair county; Bessie, died in 1885.
For the past twelve years, Mr. Roberts has been a member of the local school board and has always endeavored to take a good citizen’s part in local enterprises. He is progressive and keeps well abreast of the times and is recognized as a leading citizen of his locality. He is a member of and an elder of the Re-organized church of the Latter Day Saints.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler

ICIE L. ROBINSON, who is now caring for her father at the old home place of which she is the owner, is the widow of the late Millard D. Robinson, who was a prominent merchant of Rockville, Missouri. Mr. Robinson was born January 23, 1878, in Rockville, a son of Wesley and Tweed Robinson, old residents of Bates county. He was reared and educated in his native county and attended the public schools of Rockville, graduating from the Rockville High School in 1896. He then pursued a course in the Clinton Business College, graduating therefrom in 1899. That same year he engaged in business in Rockville in partnership with his uncle, J. Meredith, and the store was conducted under the firm name of Meredith and Robinson until 1909, when Mr. Robinson purchased his partner’s interest and conducted the business successfully until his death on February 3, 1916.
On September 5, 1911, the marriage of Millard D. Robinson and Icie L. Brown was solemnized and the marriage was a happy and prosperous one. Mr. Robinson’s death was a distinct loss to the community which lost a valued and worthy member. He was a good man, kind and thoughtful of the welfare of others, honest to the core in all of his business transactions and made and retained friends easily. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and was a progressive citizen in every way.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

A.C. ROSIER – The individual who enlarges this sphere of usefulness and extends his activities beyond the immediate confines of his own personal needs is conferring a benefit upon his home community and doing some good in the world other than reaping the profits of his own enterprise. Endowed with an ability of a high order, equipped with a broad education, which fitted him for the role which he has played in the social life of Bates county, A.C. Rosier, successful farmer and stockman of Mount township, has devoted his life to the cause of Christianity and has spent his spare time in religious and Sunday school work, thereby preparing the youth of his neighborhood to lead more upright lives. Mr. Rosier was born in Fayette county, Iowa, in 1864, and son of J.K. and Susan Ann (Chambers) Rosier, both of whom were born and reared in Logan county, Ohio.
J.K. Rosier was married in his native state, and, doubtless, being of pioneer stock, he and his devoted wife, located in the territory of Iowa, in Fayette county, at a period when settlers were few and far between. Their home was situated forty miles from the nearest railroad. Here they built a rude house and began the work of founding a homestead on the rich soil of Iowa. They endured the hardships of frontier life and withstood the rigors of the severe winters of their adopted state, until prosperity was their inevitable reward. Both Mr. and Mrs. Rosier were cultured, refined people of excellent education. Both were great readers and it was the custom of the mother to gather her children about her in front of the wide, open fireplace of the living room of the Rosier home and read to them nightly, tales of other lands and entertaining books which broadened their minds and made them ambitious to be able to thus read as they grew older. In those days, in the Iowa wilderness, schools were few and were held but a few months of the year. The early education of the Rosier children thus devolved upon their devoted parents. J.K. Rosier was a close student and an authority upon the Holy Bible which he read completely no less than twelve times. His was a religious nature and he set an example which has been followed by his children to this day. When the family drove through to Iowa, the present site of the great city of Chicago, at that time was but a cluster of huts around the fort. The elder Rosier was offered two hundred acres of land, now a part of the site of the Chicago stock yards, in exchange for his team and two hundred dollars in money. The outlook for the great building of the city, which has since grown on the marsh lands bordering Lake Michigan, was not then promising and the land seemed undesirable, so Mr. Rosier declined and set his face to the westward and took up the journey to Iowa. For thirty years, they remained on their Iowa farm and again moved westward, this time to Bates county, Missouri, arriving here in time to be classed as early settlers of this county. The family settled on a farm, in Mount township in 1882, where the parents lived until death called them, the father dying in 1909. The mother had departed this life in 1894. Both were devout members of the Brethren church, but Mr. Rosier affiliated with the Methodist church, South, upon coming to Missouri. He was a man of marked liberality in his donations to religious and educational institutions and no call upon him for financial contributions to a religious cause was ever refused. He assisted with his means in the building of Drury College in Iowa. Withal, he was a successful business man, one who looked well after his own financial affairs and was a good provider for his family, not alone in material sense but he saw to it that each member of his large family was well equipped with a good education. J.K. and Susan Ann Rosier were parents of ten children as follows: Lawrence, a merchant, Muskogee, Oklahoma; Elizabeth, widow of Lafayette Ash, who died at Tombstone, Arizona, and she is now making her home in Kansas City; Absalom, a retired merchant, Kansas City; William, a merchant at Belton, Missouri; Ella, wife of Burney Chandler, of West Union, Iowa; Albert S., a farmer, Fredonia, Kansas; A.C., subject of this review; Enoch H., Mt. Pleasant township, Bates county; Matthew, Butler, Missouri; and Dr. Lewis Rosier, a dentist, Independence, Iowa. Each of the foregoing children received the advantages of a good education. The daughters were educated in music.
Following his primary education in the district school of his neighborhood, A.C. Rosier studied in the Old Butler Academy, and then pursued his classical studies in the University of Kansas for a time, after which he entered the United Brethren College at Avalon, Missouri, where he studied for three years, graduating in 1893 with the degree of Bachelor of Science. For a period of about seven years, he taught school and served one year as principal of the Belton High School, Belton, Missouri. After his teaching career, he and his brothers, William and Enoch, purchased a store at Belton and for a period of five years conducted a profitable mercantile business under the firm name of Rosier Brothers. Mr. Rosier then disposed of his interest in the business and returned to Bates county, where he engaged in farming with his father on the old home place. He has continued in agricultural pursuits with considerable success and has one of the finest herds of Hereford cattle in Bates county. For the past twenty years, Mr. Rosier has been engaged in the breeding of this fine variety of cattle and markets a considerable number each year. He is cultivating a total of three hundred twenty acres of good land, being owner of one hundred sixty acres, which are well improved.
In November of 1895, A.C. Rosier and Lulu May Funk, of Clay county, were united in marriage and to this union have been born four sons, as follows: Richard, Russell, David, and Vincent. Lulu May (Funk) Rosier is a daughter of John Funk, a deceased pioneer of Clay county, Missouri, a native of Kentucky, as was also Mrs. Funk. Mr. Rosier is politically allied with the Democratic party. He and Mrs. Rosier are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. Mr. Rosier has been active in church and Sunday school affairs for many years. For several years past, he has served capably as superintendent of the Passaic Sunday School. He is one of the leaders in the Bates county and State Sunday School Associations. Mr. Rosier is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler

JAMES W. ROBINSON, farmer and stockman, Shawnee township, is cultivating one of the best improved farms in Bates county, known as the Robinson homestead, and upon which his father settled over a half century ago. This farm comprises a total of two hundred and eighty acres, all of which lies in Shawnee township, excepting twenty acres in Mt. Pleasant township. The improvements on this farm are splendid. A large eight-room house which was erected by the father of James W. Robinson makes a fine appearance. A large barn 36 x 50 feet in dimensions, with a twenty foot shed was erected in 1910. The place is principally devoted to stock raising and Mr. Robinson maintains a herd from seventy-five to one hundred head of cattle, besides a considerable number of hogs, sheep and mules and horses. It is usually well stocked with good grades of livestock. James W. Robinson was born on the homestead in Shawnee township, in 1886, and son of James A. and Charlotte (Johnson) Robinson, natives of Indiana.
The late James A. Robinson was born in Ripley county, Indiana, February 24, 1846, and was a son of Joseph Jefferson Robinson who located in Pettis county, Missouri, and there spent the remainder of his days engaged in farming pursuits. At the outbreak of the Civil War, James A. Robinson enlisted in Company E, Seventh Indiana Cavalry regiment and served until his honorable discharge in 1864. He re-enlisted as a veteran in Company M, Thirteenth Indiana regiment and served in behalf of the Union until January, 1866. Following his honorable discharge from the service he came west to Pettis county, Missouri, and thence to Bates county in that same year. He located in Shawnee township and developed a splendid farm from the prairie land which at that time was thinly settled. Mr. Robinson became a well respected and prosperous citizen of Bates county and reared a fine family of children. He was married to Charlotte Johnson of Indiana and the following children were born to this marriage: Elizabeth, at home; Mrs. Ella Flescher, wife of J.H. Flescher, Jolly, Texas; L.F., Pawnee, Oklahoma; Jefferson J., Grainfield, Kansas; Adelia, wife of Marion Pennycuff, Kansas City, Kansas; Harvey M., Ida Grove, Iowa, married Stella Warner, who died in November, 1915, who was a daughter of C.A. Warner, of Foster, Missouri, and left two children – Harvey and Ralph; Dr. John A. Robinson, a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College, and now located in St. Louis; Dr. Edward Robinson, Adrian, Missouri; Maggie, died in infancy; Myrtle, at home; Mattie, Kansas City, Kansas; J.W., subject of this review. James A. Robinson died at his home place in Shawnee township, in June, 1915. Mrs. Robinson departed this life August 14, 1908. They were a worthy and industrious couple who nobly did their part in developing Bates county, and contributed to the commonwealth a splendid family of eleven children, all of whom occupy positions of standing in the various communities in which they have made their homes.
James W. Robinson, manager of the Robinson home place, was educated in the district schools and has chosen to become a farmer, thus following in his father’s footsteps. For several years he was the mainstay of his parents in their old age and was a devoted son to them. He is an excellent farmer and raises considerable livestock on the place. Mr. Robinson is an industrious and loyal citizen of his native county and keeps the homestead in splendid condition as a matter of duty and pride.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

R.H. RUSH – The present is an era of specialization in agriculture as well as in the industrial world. The intelligent farmer who pursues a definite course as a specialist and studies the science of animal husbandry, is practically certain of success and can avoid many of the pitfalls which await those who refuse to progress along the lines laid down by modern research. The farmstead of R.H. Rush, located in Mound township, on the Jefferson highway just one mile south of Adrian and nine miles north of Butler, is a model of its kind, and is noted for the fact that the cattle, hogs, and poultry produced on the place in large numbers are absolutely purebred, and the owner of this fine place intends to adhere to the definite policy of having none but purebred livestock on the Rush farm. R.H. Rush, owner of two hundred forty-three acres of splendid Bates county land, was born near Martintown, Greene county, Wisconsin, May 24, 1857, a son of Henry and Nancy Hannah (Warren) Rush.
Henry Rush, his father, was born in Bavaria, German Empire, in 1823 and was brought to America by his parents in 1827. During the long passage across the Atlantic by sailing vessel, his mother died, and one year after the arrival of the father and children in this country, the father died. Henry Rush was thus left an orphan at the tender age of five years and was reared to young manhood by kind strangers in Seneca county, Ohio. During the Mexican War he served his country on the battlefields of the Southern republic from 1846 to 1848. In reward for his services he received a grant of government land in Wisconsin, located in Greene county, the original land plat patent for which having been signed by President Franklin Pierce. He cleared a splendid farm from the Wisconsin wilderness and became well-to-do, being owner of five hundred acres of well improved farm lands prior to his death. He died in 1913 at the great age of ninety-three years. His wife died in 1858 when the subject of this review was aged but one year. There were three children born to Henry and Nancy Ann Rush, namely: Lucetta, who married Willis Breon, and lives in Juneau county, Wisconsin; Nancy Jane, wife of J.J. Parker, lives on part of the old home place in Wisconsin. Nancy Hannah (Warren) Rush was born in Seneca county, Ohio and was a descendant of the Warren family of Revolutionary fame, of which General Warren, the hero of Bunker Hill, was a member. The Warren family is one of the oldest and most distinguished in the annals of American history, an extensive genealogy of whom is in existence and is kept up to date by the members of this noted family.
R.H. Rush was reared and educated in Greene county, Wisconsin and followed farming pursuits in his native state until 1900, when he went to Iowa, purchased a farm and lived on it three years, or until 1903, when he came to Bates county, Missouri, having in 1902 invested in his farm of two hundred forty-three acres of land in Mound township which is considered to be one of the finest and most productive country places in this section of Missouri. Mr. Rush is engaged in the breeding of Hereford cattle of the thoroughbred variety, and raises purebred Poland China hogs. He has a fine drove of purebred Shropshire sheep and Mrs. Rush has charge of the pens of thoroughbred Barred Rock chickens which are the pride of the farm.
On January 1, 1881, Mr. Rush was united in marriage with Bessie Anne Robinson, a native of Greene county, Wisconsin, who at the time of her marriage was living in Independence, Iowa. Her parents, Charles and Mary (Wright) Robinson, were born and reared in England, and upon immigrating to America, first settled in Wisconsin on May 24, 1857, later moving to Iowa, where both parents died. To Mr. and Mrs. Rush have been born five children: Charles, farmer and stockman, living near Passaic, Bates county; Cora May, at home with her parents; Dora B., wife of J.W. Moore, a farmer of Bates county; Ruth, wife of Mack Hawkins, Bates county; Fay Ralph, who is operating the home farm in partnership with his father.
Politically, Mr. Rush is a Democrat. He became a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons in Wisconsin several years ago and has attained the Royal Arch degree of Masonry. Mr. and Mrs. Rush are well known and highly esteemed in their section of Bates county and are looked upon as valuable additions to the citizenry of this county, being progressive and enterprising and ever ready to do their part in bettering conditions in their adopted county and state.
History of Bates County, Missouri, by W.O. Atkeson, (1918). Transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Return to

Bates County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.