BOUNDARY - PHYSICAL FEATURES - EARLY SETTLERS - M. E. CHURCH-CUMBERLAND- PRESBYTERIANS - VIRGINIA POST OFFICE - BUSINESS MEN AND BUSINESS-CHURCH.
Beginning at the northwest corner of section 6, township 40, range 32; thence east six miles to the northeast corner of section i, township-40, range 32; thence south six miles to the southeast corner of section 36, township 40, range 32; thence west six miles to the southwest corner of section 31, township 40, range 32; thence north six miles to the place of beginning.
Charlotte Township is penetrated by Miami Creek, which, with its numerous affluents, affords plenty of water for the northeastern part of the same. Pecan Branch is in the western part, and the unfailing Marais des Cygnes in the south.
Samuel Dobbins located in the north part of the township prior to 1843. He died before the war and left a wife and several children. Some of his children and his widow are still living on the old place.
James Ramey came to section 24 in Charlotte prior to 1840. He is now living near Eureka Springs, Arkansas. He was a prominent citizen and a large stock trader.
Joseph Browning settled near Ramey on the north and came about the same time. He moved to California after 1850, and lived there until his death.
James McCool and his widowed mother settled in the northeast part of the township at an early day. McCool was at one time county seat commissioner of Bates County. He moved to Texas in 1861, where he now resides.
Clark Vermillion came before the civil war of 1861 and settled insection 10.
William Conley came before the war from Indiana. He returned to Indiana.
Oliver Elswick and Samuel Martin came from Iowa, J. C. Toothman from Virginia, J. B. Moody, Samuel Park, Hamilton Case, Joseph Caze.
M. A. Morris was the blacksmith in the township. His shop was located on section 24. He died during the war.
There are two church edifices in the township. Mount Carmel, M. E. Church, is located on the northwest corner of section 35, township40, range 32, and was commenced in 1875 - frame building. Among the organic members were Oliver Ellswick and wife, William Drysdale and wife, James Cowgill and wife, T. L. Goble and wife, Newton King and wife, J. B. Cameron and wife.
T. S. Benefield was the first pastor, Frank Exley, present pastor.
The Cumberland Presbyterians have an organization which holds services in the M. E. Church building. T. J. Claggett and A. T. Cooper have filled the pulpit. Wiley Adams and wife. Pleasant Hill and wife, R. W. Campbell and wife, and Mrs. Johnson Hill are among the early members.
VIRGINIA POST OFFICE.
The above point of trade first commenced with a post office, July 4, 1871. The postmaster was Thomas H. Staver, and the office was kept one-half mile east of the present one. In October, 1S74, Mr. James Orear established the first store where Virginia now is, and was postmaster. November, 1875, S. P. Nestlerode purchased the stock, and was postmaster. July, 1877, Arbogart & Armstrong purchased the stock. March, 1879, Mr. H. H. Flesher opened a drug store, and December, 187-, Roberts & Presley bought out Arbogart & Armstrong, and soon moved the stock of goods away. H. H. Flesher was appointed postmaster. His partner was James S. Pierce. February, 1882, Mr. Pierce sold out to Mr. W. N. Hardinger. They do business in a new two-story frame building, 24x60 feet. February, 1879, J- W. Manahan opened a stock of furniture and sold out to B. F. Jenkins in 1880, who added hardware. In 1881, Drysdale & Son bought B. F. Jenkins out. August, 1881, Flesher & Pierce sold out their drug stock to Smith & Hill, and soon after Smith & Hill sold to Williams & Drysdale. January, 1882, they sold out to James 5. Pierce, present druggist.
DIRECTORY OF THE TOWN.
H. H. Flesher (postmaster) and W. N. Hardinger, general merchants. James S. Pierce, druggist.
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails