Townships, Towns and Villages
In this chapter we give briefly such data as seems to be of historical value touching the early settlement pi the several townships, beginning with Mingo township in the northeast corner of the county, and following west and east back and forth, ending with Howard township in the southwest corner of the county. This seems preferable to an alphabetical basis, as the townships are more familiar in that order.
Bounded on the north by Grand river, which separates it from Cass county, on the east by Henry county, on the south by Spruce township, and on the west by Grand River township. It is not quite a full congressional township of thirty-six sections, all of sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 lying north of Grand river in Cass county, and also parts of sections 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, all in township 42, range 29 west.
The land is rich and rolling, and more or less rugged, and is drained by Grand river on the north, and by Cove and Peter creeks, with Elk Fork touching the northwest corner of the township.
H. M. White came from Wayne county, Kentucky and settled on Elk Fork creek in this township in 1844, and died there in 1872. His son, J. M. White, was born there in 1846. Austin and Joseph Reeder settled between Elk Fork and Peter creeks in 1832. Alexander Earhart a native of West Virginia, opened a farm on Elk Fork in 1851, and his brother, Stronger, came at the same time. Among other early settlers were Robert Davis, Jefferson Lake, Morgan Settle, Nicholas Poage, Martin Hackler, Hamilton Burris, Joel Sparks, Jonathan Starks, Reece Hackler, Fred Hackler, James Settle, John C. Gragg, George Earhart, A. M. Gragg, Stephen Williams, the Ashcrafts, Shatleys, and Chadwells.
The first mill was erected at Settle Ford by Nicholas Poage. Cove City, in the north-central part of the township, back in the seventies, was a business point, but has practically taken its place with the forgotten cities. Mayesburg in the southeastern part of the township was founded in 1878, and Mayes & Carlton, merchants, built the first house and conducted a mercantile business there for many years. L. O. Carlton was the first postmaster. R. D. Gerdon the first blacksmith, and Dr. M. Duttler the first physician. G. A. Poage and G. W. West conducted a drug store there in the early days. The building of the Kansas City, Clinton & Springfield railroad through Urich a few miles distant in Henry county affected the development of Mayesburg, and the establishment of the rural mail delivery eliminated the post office at that village. It is still a trading point, but little more.
Grand River Township.
This township lies directly west of Mingo, and is also bounded on the north by Grand river, which is the line at this point between Bates and Cass. It is a rolling prairie, broken more or less by the following principal streams which flow in a general northerly direction into Grand river: Elk Fork, Mingo and Little Deer creek.
Among the early settlers may be mentioned Louis C. Haggard, Joseph Hilly, George Sears, Richard Dejarnett, John Sigler, Jake Lefler, Kimsey Coats, William Crawford, William Edwards, John and Joseph Pardee, Hiram and D. C. Edwards, Martin Ow^ens, Martin Owens, Jr., Crayton Owens, Sarah White, M. M. Tucker, James Williams, Hardway Harrison, James and S. E. Harrison, and William France. Many of these names are still familiar in the township, being children or grandchildren of the pioneers.
The village of Altona is situate in the south-central part, and it was laid out in January, 1860, by William Crawford, the owner of the land. A man by the name of Scoggin erected the first business house in the village. In 1868, Harrison and Shoube erected a grist and sawmill, which was afterward removed to Cass county. In 1878, the Missionary Baptists built a church edifice there. J. D. Wright and wife, George Moles and wife, August Warford and Mitchell Warford and family were among its early members.
Deer Creek Township.
Deer Creek township lies directly west of Grand River township. The Missouri Pacific railroad runs nearly directly through the township, north and south. This township is principally an undulating prairie, wnth very little rough or waste land, and is principally drained by Mormon Fork into Grand river, which forms for a short distance the northern boundary, and Deer creek, after which the township takes its name.
Among the prominent and known pioneers of this township may be mentioned the following: Joseph J. McCraw, a native of Halifax county. Virginia, came from Jackson county, Missouri, and settled in Deer Creek township in 1849. There were eight children in the family. He died in 1853. Other than the McCraws in 1850 may be mentioned: Richard Barker. Moses Barker, Matt Hill. William Mitchell. Bhuford. Stephen and Alfred Haynes, Brown C. Seagraves and a Mr. Adams; John Moudy came in 1856; Henry and John Rogers came the same year: John P. Wells came in 1855; John Murphy came in 1856; John Blunt, in 1861; James Howerton, in 1855; W. S. Hughes, in 1854. Other old settlers, the exact date of whose coming is not known by the writer, are: Oliver Mitchell, Eli T. Sullins, M. C. Hiser, Emanuel Lemon, L. F. Kiser, L. C. Oder. Henry Hughes. Samuel Sligar, Isaiah Prebbel, Daniel Goodin, Jonathan Adams and Allen. Ingle.
Adrian is situate in the extreme south-central part of Deer Creek township on the Missouri Pacific railroad, and is a town of such considerable importance that it should be treated separately in another part of this book.
Crescent Hill was located near the center of the township, and before the coming of the Missouri Pacific railroad in 1880, was a thrifty village but the railroad did not come through the village and when Adrian was surveyed and platted the business formerly at Crescent Hill naturally drifted to the new and rapidly developing town; and Crescent Hill may fairly be said to have taken its place among other extinct and almost forgotten cities.
East Boone Township.
This township is situate in the north tier and its northern boundary is the county line between Bates and Cass. The land is generally prairie of good quality, but high and somewhat broken up by Mormon Fork and its tributaries. Mormon Fork runs in an easterly direction nearly through the center of the township. There are timber and building stone and water. William R. Marshall, who came from Kentucky settled on Mormon Fork in an early day. Mormon Fork gets its name from the fact that some Mormons driven out of Jackson county in 1833 made a settlement on the creek in this township. Barton Holderman was a pioneer, coming from Illinois. Gaugh L. Smith, Enoch Boiling, John M. Galloway, Joseph Cook, Samuel Stewart, David Hufft, John Puffer and Elias Baldwin were early settlers.
About the close of the Civil War population increased rapidly, and among others came Joseph Mudd, Isaiah Brown, Morris and James Roach, James and William Bagby, J. D. Masterson, Wilson Swank, A. D. Robbins, J. W. Hurdman, Peter Black, P. G. Lightfoot, Richard Richardson, John Fenton and R. F. Canterbury.
The village of Burdett is situate in the western central part of the township on Mormon Fork. It was founded in 1870 by Daniel Cauthrien and Oliver B. Heath. The first business house was built by Tumbleson & Shorb. The first postmaster was F. M. Tumbleson. A mill was erected the year the town was laid out, but destroyed by fire in 1874. This first mill was built by A. D. Basore, and a second one by Lewis Adams, which was moved to Archie, Cass county, in 1881. Burdett is a community center and considerable business is still carried on, but it is an inland village.
Parkerville was one of the oldest towns in Bates county founded in June, 1857, by Wiley Parker, after whom it took its name. It was situated about one and a half miles directly south of where Burdett stands, but not a vestige remains to mark its grave. It is totally extinct yet history records the facts that John Frazier was the proprietor of a grocery store in its early and ambitious days; that John T. Peck was a pioneer; that Wilson & Feely were merchants, and Doctor Thomas F. Atherton was the first physician, and W. H. Atherton the first blacksmith. "The town was destroyed during the war of 1861" but it is not recorded how. There is absolutely nothing left to tell of its life or death.
West Boone Township.
West Boone is the northwest township of the county. It is generally a high, rolling prairie, little broken by streams, and is practically the watershed of both the Mormon Fork and Miami creeks; the one running northeasterly into Grand river, and the other southeasterly into the Marais des Cygnes river. It is distinguished for being the highest elevation in Bates county, about 1,000 feet above sea level, or about 400 feet higher than the lowest levels in the county.
The first settlers in this township were Alexander, Wilson and Norris Feely, brothers, the former two coming in 1842 and Norris in 1849. It is recorded that "Alexander Feely served in 1861 as one of the county court judges, his associates being Edmund Bartlette and Samuel M. Pyle. He died August 27, 1877." Frank R. Berry, a Kentuckian, came from Jackson county, Missouri, and settled on the head waters of Mormon Fork creek in an early day, and soon after a relative by the name of.T. E. Strode came and settled near by. Then came Joseph Clyner, Joseph and J. P. Taylor, all early settlers, but the exact date is not known. Soon after the close of the Civil War, John S. Stewart, James A. Stewart. Jacob and William Groves, G. L. Sayles, J. N. White, A. Rosier, J. H. Boswell, R. M. Feely, W. B. Akin. Jesse Nave, John Riley, Luke Gage, O. W. Stitt, J. C. Berry, and George Karter, came and settled in this township.
The only mill erected in the township was erected at the village of Rosier, now extinct, in the older days. Rosier was founded in 1881. and Bryant Brothers & McDaniel conducted a general merchandise store, and L. R. Robinson established a drug store about the same time.
West Point Township.
This township joins the state of Kansas on the west, and like West Boone, is one of the border tier of townships. It lies directly south of West Boone, north of Hgmer, and west of Elkhart townships. It is a part of the most elevated portion of Bates county; an undulating prairie, cut by many streams of fine water, among which the principal are the Miami. Mulberry, Plum and Willow branches.
West Point is among the oldest settled parts of the county. Israel Brown was one of the earliest settlers, and he sold his farm to Vincent Johnson, a Kentuckian. in 1851. Covington Cooper was an early-day settler and died there in 1851. Coming in the late forties, were Benjamin Sharp. Henry Schuster, who later settled near Double Branches, in south Bates; John Green was an old settler who died during the Civil War; then, entitled to a place in the list, there were William Scott, Edgar C. Kirkpatrick. William Lamar, Jackson Clark, Nathan and Thomas Sears, James McHenry, J. E. Mooney, Samuel and James Forbes, Emberson Keaton, George Walley, William and Wiley Reed and William Adams.
The village of West Point is now extinct, with scarcely a land mark to indicate where this western post of civilization once stood, while the traffic of the savage and the adventurous pioneer poured through its marts and made its streets hum with real trade and commerce. Back in the fifties, it had a population of about 700 people, and it was the center of a large and growing trade. It was the last "outfitting" place after West Port Landing on the Missouri river and hither came.that numerous line of adventurers and settlers going south and west into the Territory of Kansas. It was located on one of the highest points in the township, if not, in fact, the highest elevation in Bates county, and the vast view in every direction was unobstructed, limited only by the horizon. The point is about 10,00 feet above sea level, and overlooks a beautiful country in all directions. It was situate less than a mile from the Kansas line in the extreme northwest corner of the township. The land on which it was located was entered by Thomas B. Arnett and Sydney Adams and the conveyance of the first lot was signed by Arnett and his wife in 1850. Arnett was the first clerk of Cass county. Adams sold out to Arnett prior to the sale of lots. J. A. Fox was among the first purchasers. West Point was the commercial and trading capital of a wide territory. Harrisonville and Papinsville were its closest and only rivals. It was on the Texas cattle trail. The Kansas Indian tribes visited it and traded there. Among its early merchants and business men may be mentioned Curd & Barrett, druggists; a dry goods merchant; Judge Alexander Feely; William Scott; James McHenry; Chil. Lovelace; Thos. Sears and Dr. T. J. B. Rockwell, who were all in business some years before the war broke out. William and Joseph Potts, and Slater & Stribbens were blacksmiths. John Martin ran a saloon, then called a grocery. William R. Simpson and John Roundtree were also business men. Henry Schuster erected a mill to grind corn only and ran it by ox-power on an inclined plane, or a "tread mill." John Green also had a mill at an early day. Wyatt Sanford was postmaster in 1856, and afterward James McHenry and Irvine Walley. The first hotel was kept by Mr. Hedges, who later sold to Judge Alexander Feely.
This hotel was a two-story frame, and was the largest hotel in all the western country, having no less than forty rooms; which fact indicates somewhat the great travel and business of the town. Besides, there were three other hotels, and sixteen business- houses.
General Clark came to West Point in the fall of 1856, during the border troubles between the pro-slavery and anti-slavery men, with about five hundred men, and remained in town about ten days. During the war the town was burned and scarcely a stone was left to tell where it had been. After the war a small business house and a post office were established there and with a few scattered residences the village had a precarious existence until the Kansas City Southern railroad crept stealthily by under the hill to the east, and the new town of Amsterdam was established a couple of miles south. Then the historic town of West Point gave up the ghost, and only debris remain to speak its former glory. It is a pitiful story, but one not uncommon in this western country. But here was really the westernmost post of civilization for a number of years, and if the real history of men and women who resided there in the fifties, were known it would doubtless be one of tragedy and sorrow. And they had a big school and a weekly newspaper.
The village of Vinton was founded in 1867, in the eastern part of the township by a Mr. Swink, who built a corn-grinding mill there which was run by steam. Swink sold it to William Morrison in 1872 and he took the mill to Sugar Creek, Kansas. A. J. Christler established a mercantile business there. Then followed Felix Cox, and later J. P. Willis. The first postmaster was A. J. Christler and the first blacksmith was Thomas Hackett. The village now is only a memory but it doubtless had its aspirations.
The town of Amsterdam was laid out by John L. Rankin. September 30, 1891, in the western central part of the township, on the Kansas City & Southern railroad, and is one of the leading business points on that railroad in Bates county. It has a bank, a newspaper, and all the industries and commercial establishments to be found in towns of its class. It has been rebuilt since a disastrous fire about a year ago. It is a prosperous village.
Elkhart lies east of West Point and may be said to be an interior township. It is watered by the Miami, Knabb's creek, and Lime-branch, tributaries of the Miami.
had few settlers prior to the war, and remained very sparsely settled until about 1866. It is more nearly level than any township in the county, and is little broken. Among those who are recalled as pioneers we mention Jesse Lovelace, Vinson Martin, Elias Barnett, Robert Clinging, Torraine Browning, John Ferguson, Richard Westover, A. J. Satterlee, Hugh Mills, Robert Evans, John Baker, and his sons, Griswold and James, and a man by the name of Montgomery who settled on the Raybourn place. Among the first permanent settlers were the Keatons. Wiles Keaton, of North Carolina, is said to have settled in what is now Elkhart in 1845, and Mrs. Keaton died there in 1847, leaving a numerous family some descendants still residing in that vicinity.
After the war and between 1866 and 1869, the following located in different parts of the township: F. A. Cox, P. A. Allen, I. N. Raybourn, Frank Evans, F. M. Neafus, Chas. Lee, W. B. Whetstone, William Tarr, Thadius Cowdry, John Nuble, and George Pubels. The first saw-mill was built by Merrit Zinn & Co. about 1870.
What is known as Elkhart Post office, is about the center of the township, and is the community center of the township.
Mound lies directly east of Elkhart, south of Deer Creek, north of Mt. Pleasant and west of Shawnee, township 41, range 31.
It is a typical prairie country, undulating, and not much broken. Bones creek in the southwest portion, an affluent of the Miami, is the only stream worth mentioning, but the township is abundantly watered by wells, ponds, and small streams.
Being practically a woodless prairie in the early days, settlement was slow. It was pre-eminently a cattle and grazing territory. History records the fact that Boston H. Bowman and family settled on Bones creek in the south part of the township in 1855, and remained there till he died. He reared a family and left a widow who told the historian that when water was not plentiful in Bones creek, they often had to go to Balltown, then on the Little Osage in Vernon county to mill, and wait a long time for their grist. She recollected that at one time it took a w^eek for her husband to go to mill and return. The family went to Illinois the latter part of the war, but returned to their home in Mound afterward, and he died in 1868.
Passaic was laid out July 14, 1891, by Chas. S. Conklin, situate on the Missouri Pacific railway, about half way between Butler and Adrian. It is a good shipping point. It has a store, elevator and hotel, and it is the community center of south-central Mound township.
Shawnee lies east of Mound. It is almost wholly a rich prairie, broken by no considerable streams. It is drained by Elk Fork and Little Deer creeks, which run north to Grand river, and Mound branch, which runs south to the Miami. There was little or no time in the early days and like Mound, Shawnee was regarded as grazing land. The story of the early settlers of Shawnee is shrouded in doubt and uncertainty as to date and the permanent settlers, but it appears that about 1828 a hunter named Raupe from Lexington had occasion to be on Mound, and seven Indians captured him, and after robbing him of his gun and equipment, set him free. Then it appears that a Mr. Evans was on top of the same mound in the fall of 1835, counting the deer within his vision, and viewing the beautiful landscape in all directions from that favorable elevation. It is claimed that he came to what is now Shawnee in 1832 or 1833 and took up a claim. William Charles settled on Elk Fork in 1837. A man named John Weschusen, directly from Germany, came and settled on the headwaters of Elk Fork. There are others mentioned in a general way, but nearly all, after a year or two, w^ent elsewhere. Along in the forties James B. Sears, a native of Kentucky, came and settled. The historian alleges that the first apple orchard planted in Shawnee was planted by Elisha Evans, and that he raised the first wheat crop in that township, "and possibly the first crop in the county, outside of the Harmony Mission settlement." Upon these meager data and unsatisfactory details hangs the claim that the second settlement in the county was in Shawnee township, the first being Harmony Mission in Prairie township in 1821.
Culver has one store, and is a community center and trading point. It is located in section 25. or near the southeast corner of the township.
Spruce lies east of Shawnee, and its eastern hne is the county hue between Bates and Henry. The lands are rolling, but it is one of the richest corn-producing townships in the county. There is abundant timber. It is drained by Peter and Cove creeks, flowing north, and Stewart's creek, flowing southeast, and its tributaries.
James Stewart was the first settler in 1832. He located where Johnstown now is, and Stewart's creek took its name from him. He was a blacksmith, came from Lafayette county, remained a few years and then went to Johnson county. John Pyle came from Kentucky in 1834. He bought the Stewart claim, had the usual pioneer experiences, remained eight years, and died in 1842. while his neighbors were still few and far between. Samuel Pyle, a brother, came to Spruce on his bridal tour in a one-horse wagon in 1836. He was a Union man and lived in Butler the forepart of the war and was the last to leave in obedience to Order No. 11, and looking back, he could see the smoke of their burning home when five miles away. James McCool and wife came from Ohio, had sickness on the road in Illinois, they sold their team and came to Boonville by water, thence to Bates county in a hired wagon. They settled one mile north of Johnstown. This was in 1840. Adien the war came on he and his sons, except Peter V., adhered to the Union. The family moved over into Henry county under Order No. 11 and Mr. McCool died there in 1865. Mrs. McCool and her children returned to Spruce township and they lived in and around Johnstown many years.
The first store in Johnstown was established by Jim and Dan Johnson in 1845. They were followed by Dick McClure and John Harbert & Son. John Hull was the first blacksmith. Harmony Mission, West Point, Harrisonville and Clinton were the nearest towns. The first post office was in 1848 or 1849. Prior to that time the Spruce settlers got their mail in Deepwater, Henry county. Johnstown was an important business center before the war, and had five stores, two saloons, three blacksmith shops, a good mill, a cabinet shop, shoe and harness shops. It is said to have enjoyed a larger volume of business than any other town in this section prior to the Civil War. Among those who dwelt in Johnstown and in that vicinity before that date may be mentioned William B. and Nicholas Page, who came in 1842; then George Cooper, Nicholas Payne, R. L., B. J., and D. B. Pettus, and George Ludwick, but the date of their settlement is not known, except that George Ludwick, wife and two of her brothers, Henry and Jacob Lutsenhizer, arrived overland from Boonville, after a river trip from Licking county, Ohio, in October, 1839, at the home of William Lutsenhizer, who had arrived some time before and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by Hon. John B. Newberry. John E. Morgan and A. M. Odneal were among the pioneers. In obedience to Order No. 11, all the people left Bates county, and most of those in and near Johnstown went to Henry or Pettis county. It does not appear that any great depredations occurred in their absence in that vicinity and after the war they generally returned to their homes and business; but Johnstown never regained its thrift and importance; and it is now a small inland town, a scattering village, with little to indicate its former greatness.
Ballard post office is located in the northwest corner of section 16, and is a community center for that part of the township. It has one or two stores.
Deepwater township is much broken by Deepwater creek and its tributaries, and hence it has considerable rough, timbered land ; but the soil is generally good, and corn, grass and the cereals flourish.
It is not known, at least it is not written, when the first settler made his home in this township, but Hiram Snodgrass came into and settled in Deepwater township, south side of Deepwater creek, near Henry county line, in section 24, in 1839. He died there in 1881. The land had just been sectionized and he entered 300 acres. Others who lived there as early as 1839 were C. Schmedting, two Morrisses, Means, Arbuckle, Moore, Ballow, and Beatty. Isaac, a son of Hiram Snodgrass, married Susan B. Myers, a daughter of Judge John D. Myers, in 1853.
Samuel Scott settled on the north side of Deepwater creek in 1834, and was appointed sheriff of the new county of Vernon when it was established in 1852, but the organization of Vernon county being afterward declared invalid, he lost his ofifice. He went to Linn county, Kansas, in 1854, was elected by the pro-slavery party to the Territorial Legislature, and was killed by a band of guerillas in 1859. Others who came between 1834 and 1845 may be mentioned: Oliver and George Drake, James Cummins, Peyton Gutridge, Rev. Milton Morris, James Morris, Sam and Matt Arbuckle, and Mrs. Elizabeth McGowen.
The list of those who came and settled prior to the war is too long for the purpose of this chapter, but it includes such distinguished citizens as Ex-State Senator John B. Newberry, and Ex-Sheriff and Recorder James M. Simpson, many of whom will be adequately mentioned elsewhere in this book.
Jacob Lutsenhizer was the pioneer miller and erected his mill which ground corn only, on Straight branch in 1841. There is no record of how it was operated or how long it existed, except a statement that Oliver Drake began the erection of a niill on the same spot in 1854, but died without completing it.
The village of Spruce is located near the center of the township on section 16, has two stores, a blacksmith shop, two church edifices and an Odd Fellows' hall, and two rural mail routes. It is the business center of the township, and a prosperous village.
This township is well watered by Mound branch and Deepwater creek and their tributaries. The land is rolling, dark and fertile - one of the best corn townships in the county.
Reuben Herrell settled in Summit in 1842. On his arrival he had only two neighbors in the township, John McClain and Major Glass, who settled there in 1840. Nathan Horn settled in the western part in an early day. Arthur and Madison Canady and their father came in 1861. John Walker was an early settler. He was a member of the Missouri General Assembly. Abram P. Wilson, A. Brixner, G. W. Cassity, James L. Kirtley, C. T. Hokanson and A. Black may fairly be classed as pioneer settlers of Summit but the dates of their settlement have not been recorded by history. There is no village in this township.
Mt. Pleasant Township.
Mt. Pleasant is the center tow^nship of the county and is bounded on the north by Mound, on the west by Charlotte, on the south by Lone Oak and New Home, and on the east by Summit - it is township 40, range 31 west. It is largely prairie, broken more or less by the Miami and Mound branches and their tributaries. Some rock and timber. The soil is good mulatto prairie, with rich bottoms along the larger streams. Generally speaking it is a beautiful undulating prairie country.
We gather from an old history of Bates county that all the following were early settlers and made their settlements prior to 1861: George W. and Alexander Patterson, William Hurt in 1858, George W. Pierce, Alfred Miller, Jacob D. and Joel B. Wright, Henry Mills, Lewis Dixon, in 1861, several families of the Robinsons, Ham Case, Nathaniel and D. Porter, Reverend Phoenix of the Christian church, John Morris, in 1843, Dr. Giles B. Davis in 1843, Thomas and William McCord sometime prior to 1843, Wilds, a Mormon, settled on section 19 in 1838.
Butler is the county seat, and is about the center of the township, and near the center of the county. Its location is sightly and well drained, and sanitary conditions by nature are good. Mound branch, a short distance east, is the only considerable stream near it.
For further data about Butler, her people and business, see chapter on Butler.
Charlotte is a rolling prairie land, fertile and productive. It is watered and drained principally by the Miami and Pecan branches of the Marais des Cygnes river, which for a short distance in the southeast corner of the township, form the township line.
Samuel Dobbins settled in northeast Charlotte prior to 1843. James Ramey settled on section 24, in 1840. James Browning settled near Ramey about the same date. James McCool settled in the northeast portion at the time he was one of the county seat commissioners for Bates county. He moved to Texas in 1861. Clark Vermillion settled on section 10 before the war. William Conley, Oliver Elswick, Samuel Martin, J. C. Toothman, J. B. Moody, Samuel Park, Hamilton Case, Joseph Caze, and M. A. Morris were all early settlers some time prior to the Civil War, but the dates of their settlement have not been handed down.
Virginia became a trading point upon the establishment of a post office there in 1871, and hence it has always been known as the Virginia Post office. Thomas Steaver was the first postmaster, and his office was a half mile east of the present village store or center. James Orear built and started the first store in 1874, and was postmaster. In 1875, S. P. Nestlerode purchased the stock and became postmaster. In 1877, Arbogart & Armstrong became the merchants and in 1879 H. H. Fleisher opened a drug store. About the same date Roberts & Presley bought out Arbogart & Armstrong and soon moved the stock of goods away. Fleisher became postmaster. James S. Pierce was his partner at this time. In February, 1882, Pierce sold out to W. N. Hardinger. February, 1879, J. W. Manahan opened a stock of furniture and in 1880 sold out to B. F. Jenkins, who added hardware. He sold in 1881 to thence to the Missouri river. Our informant says he counted 384 annular rings on one of the stumps, which would make the tree sprout in A. D. 1496, or just after Columbus discovered America. A Mr. Cox, on Walnut creek, made a record in the early days by splitting 1,250 ten-foot rails out of the big walnut trees. There were numerous fords across the river: the government ford and ferry in section 33; Gritton ford, north of where Foster now is; Whitewash ford across Walnut in the center of section 11. The Government road from Lexington. Missouri, crossed here on its way to Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Goods were brought up the Missouri river to Lexington and then freighted along this road to supply the country which could not be reached from the White river in Arkansas. Marvel bridge was the first bridge built across the river, in 1879, in section 1. Since then a number of substantial bridges have been built across the main streams and the river in the township. Abundant coal exists in this township, and coal mining is one of the chief industries.
One of the earliest settlers was Hon. John McHenry. He was a Kentuckian and a Democrat. He came to Missouri in 1840, and was elected the first representative to the General Assembly in 1842. A year later, November 15, 1841, his son, James McHenry, came to Walnut township. James Goodrich, a nephew of the elder McHenry, came about the same date, but went to California in 1844. William Cooper came from Pettis county in 1840. One of the pioneers of the county was Lewis Gilliland, who settled in Walnut some time prior to 1840. He went, with others, to California in 1850. Mark West, the father of Gentry, was an early settler, and died in 1851. Thomas Woodfin and his sons came from North Carolina to Johnson county, Missouri, and thence to Bates in 1839 and 1840. Shelton and Gilliland were the only settlers who preceded the Woodfins. Cooper, McCall and Hedges came soon afterward. Judge Edward Bartlett came to Walnut township in 1844. Under Order No. 11, Bartlett went to Kansas but returned in 1866.
Marvel was first located on the Marais des Cygnes river in section 1, but was moved to section 2, and later abandoned or discontinued. The first postmaster was in 1846. A small stock of goods was opened at Marvel in 1868 at the residence of James Campbell by Kincaid & Park. The first store in the township was established in section 1. by a Mr. Jewell before the Civil War. James McDaniel also sold goods before the war at a little place called Louisville in section 5, near the Drysdale & Son; and the same year Fleisher & Pierce sold their drug stock to Williams & Drysdale. For a number of years Judge John McFadden ran the only general store, and the days of its business and mercantile importance, at this time, seem to have departed. It is a community center and the center of a fine rural district. Good roads and automobiles have ruined it as a natural trading point. A number of the early settlers in and about the village were Virginians and hence its name.
Homer is bounded on the west by the state of Kansas. It is an undulating prairie country, of fair up-land, and rich bottoms, along Mulberry creek and the Marais des Cygnes river. It is well watered and has abundant timber and coal.
Among the pioneers of Homer in the ante-bellum days may be mentioned Jeremiah and Thomas Jackson, and another Thomas Jackson, called "Yankee Jackson" to distinguish him, H. B. Frances, Thomas Francis, William Braden, Pierce Hackett, J. M. Rogers, Bluford Merchant, Chesley Hart, and D. R. Braden. The Francis brothers were from Illinois, the Bradens from Ohio and Hackett from England. Among others who came near the close of the war, and wdio helped shape the progress of the township were, Robert Leech, Judge Lyman Hall, James W. and J. T. Whinnery, R. M. Brown, Dr. J. M. and Hugh Gailey, Jeremiah Rankin, Wilham and Judge D. V. Brown, James Pilgrim, William Rodgers, David Braden, and Judge John A. Lefker, who erected a saw mill on the Marais des Cygnes river in 1870, at what is now known as Hawkins' Ferry, and in 1875 he made it a grist-mill as well.
About the year 1867 the government established a post office at Mulberry, on Mulberry creek, at the home of Robert Leech, and soon became and continued for some years to be, quite a trading post, store, blacksmith shop, school, etc., but as to the village it may now be said to have taken its place among other promising villages and towns of the early days, which are now .extinct.
Amoret is situate on the Kansas City, Ft. Scott & Gulf railroad, and was laid out in 1890 by the Missouri Coal & Construction Company. It has a bank, several stores, other shops, an elevator and warehouses. It is just one mile from the state line in the south-central part of the township. The great Darby orchard of 800 acres comes right up to the city limits and the fruit industry affords employment for many laborers. It ranks among the best business towns on what is called the Kansas City Southern railroad in this county.
Walnut is a border township, with Kansas on its west. Homer and Charlotte townships on the north, New Home on the east and Howard on the south.
With the Marais des Cygnes river forming the division line most of the distance between it and the two townships to the north. Walnut has much valuable timber and large rich bottom lands. The land not timbered is rolling prairie and splendid agricultural land. Mine creek comes out of Kansas and waters the extreme northwest part, and Walnut creek enters the township in the southwestern corner and flows in a northeasterly direction entirely through the township and enters the Marais des Cygnes river in the northwest part, of New Home; with its tributary streams it waters and drains almost the whole township. The township and creek derive their names from the enormous black walnut trees that grew in the bottoms and valleys. In 1880, before there was any railroad in Bates county, except the Missouri, Kansas & Texas at Rockville, D. W. Laughlin, an old citizen of Walnut township, sold six great walnut trees for fifty dollars each to be cut and floated down Walnut creek, thence down the river to the Osage, mouth of Mine creek. Both Marvel and Louisville belong in the extinct village class.
Walnut post office, located on section 16, came into existence in 1872. Berry kept a drug store there in 1879. Lee Peak sold dry goods in 1878. A. H. Lloyd and John Craig were the blacksmiths and Dr. Splawn the physician. When Foster, or Walnut, grew up in a night, just two miles away, Walnut post office went out and took its place in the extinct class.
Worland was laid out September 4, 1888, by Arch L. Sims and James M. Tucker, and took its name from Harry Worland, a druggist, who did a flourishing business there. It has at this time, about 100 population, and is situate about a mile from the Kansas-Missouri state line in section 7, on the St. Louis & Eastern railroad, often called the Madison branch of the Missouri Pacific railway and near the crossing of the Kansas City, Pittsburg & Gulf railroad.
Foster was born in 1884. It was a typical western boom town, and within a few months had a population of 2,000 people, and was a hustling driving place. It went up like a rocket and came down like a stick. We cannot go into its wonderful history at this place, designed for mere mention of the upstanding facts of each township. The Walnut Land & Coal Company, with a million dollars capital, was indirectly behind the boom, and the town was first called Walnut, but when the people asked for a post office they had to change the name, as there was already a post office of Walnut about two miles away. In due time, the town - it was really a small city by this time - was re-christened Foster, after Governor Foster, then everywhere known as "Calico Charley" of Ohio who was secretary of the Walnut Land & Coal Company. Two years after it was founded what is now known as the Inter-State, or Madison branch of the Missouri Pacific railroad, was builded to and through the town. After a sensational and precarious career it soon settled down into the village class and its glory departed. At this time it has a population of about 400, has a bank, lumber yard, depot, express office, two blacksmith shops, and seven stores, and does a healthy country business, the surrounding territory being a fine grain and stock growing country. Much coal has been mined all about the town, and the vast coal deposits yet await the call of labor and capital. The town of Walnut (Foster) was laid out by E. A. Henry as trustee for Thomas M. Nichols, Phil L. Spooner, Jr., Charles Foster, Amos Townsend, J. Warren Kiefer, Warner Miller, B. J. Waters, J. L. Pace, and John Scullin, on July 3, 1883.
New Home Township.
The Marais des Cygnes river finds its tortuous way entirely through this township in a general southeasterly direction. Its bottoms are wide, rich and largely covered with valuable timber - oak, hickory, pecan, elm, sycamore, cottonwood, etc. The only tributaries worth mentioning are Burnett's branch, Island slough, and Cottonwood branch. Formerly there were numerovis lakes in the bottoms, but many have been drained and are no more.
Mark West appears to be the oldest settler. He came in 1834, and bought a claim in section 6, from Daniel Woodfin. Mrs. West was a daughter of Col. James Atten. who came to Harmony Mission in 1834. She died in 1842 while struggling with her husband to establish a pioneer home in an unsettled country. Mrs. Charlotte Miller was among the pioneers, settling in New Home in 1841. Jackson ^^^all came into this township some time prior to 1843, and located near the center of the township on a high mound, and died there in 1849 or 1850. George W. Turner, of Virginia, came in 1843, and died before 1860. Jeremiah Burnett came in 1849. Daniel settled here before 1843. went west to California in 1849, and died there. Lewis and Levi Deweese came from North Carolina and settled in the township about 1841. The brothers both died and their widows returned to North Carolina. James Poag opened a claim prior to 1843 and O. H. P. Miller and William Powers were early settlers.
A man named Haymaker built a mill - saw and grist - on the Marais des Cygnes river about 1870, in section 6. It washed away in 1880 and nothing is left to mark the spot.
The village of New Home was founded in 1869, on the southwest quarter of section 20, township 39, range 32. Colonel, afterward Judge, Samuel F. Hawkins owned the town site, and built the first house in the town in 1870. J. E. Thomas built the first business house in the town in 1870. Hiram Slater was the blacksmith. Dr. P. E. Calmes was the first doctor. Dr. R. F. Hulett, now living at Galena, Missouri, came and opened an ofitice in 1875. Edmond Cope was the first postmaster in 1873. Other merchants were Morlan Brothers, Fisher & Givens, and Fisher & Thomas.
Shobetown and Rively, once active mining towns, have passed away and are now enjoying the obscurity of all extinct villages.
Cornland, once an important trading point, on the Marais des Cygnes at the iron bridge on the road to Rich Hill, has ceased to be of commercial importance since Athol, a short distance away, became a stopping place for trains on the Missouri Pacific railroad.
Lone Oak Township.
Lone Oak township is irregular in shape and is bounded by its sister townships as follows: On the north by Summit and Mt. Pleasant, on the west by New Home, on the south by the Marais des Cygnes river and on the east by Prairie and Pleasant Gap.
Lone Oak has abundant water and timber, and a variety of soil from low bottoms to blufTs, from bluffs to high prairie land, all good grass, grain and stock lands. The principal tributaries of the Marais des Cygnes in this township are Miami, Mound branch. Double Branches creek and Willow creek, with smaller streams tributary to these. Formerly some large lakes were along the river, but with the recent drainage projects they are nearly all dry land now.
Among the pioneer settlers of Lone Oak was Dr. William C. Requa, who bought out a Mormon fugitive from Jackson by the name of Daniel Francis, in 1837, just before that part of the county had been surveyed and sectionized by the government and he continued to reside there with his family until he died, about 1886 at the ripe age of ninety-one. The story of Doctor Requa will be found elsewhere in this book. William R. Thomas located in section 11, township 39, range 31, in 1844, and died there. Abraham Towner and Daniel Francis, Mormons, who had been driven out of Jackson county, came in 1835. Francis died here before the Civil War and Towner moved to California some time in the fifties. Philip Stanford lived north of Doctor Requa. He went to Texas. George Requa settled in the township in 1834. He was one of the Union missionaries in 1820. He died here before 1860. He' left the following children and his widow: William, Austin, James, George, Cyrus J., Martha ]., and Lucy E., several of whom, and possibly all, are now dead. James H. Requa opened a farm in 1840, and he was probably the first school teacher in the township.
Enoch Humphreys, A. G. Ellidge, Lindsey Wine, John H. Thomas, Joseph Jones, John and C. Columbus Blankenbaker, John O. Starr and John Daniel were all pioneers and good men and farmers.
The first apple orchard in the township was set out by Dr. W. C. Requa and it was probably the first one in the county after the one set by the missionaries at Harmony, a few miles south of Prairie township.
W. R. Thomas erected a windmill in 1856 which ground corn and wheat. He operated it until the war came on and it was destroyed.
Lone Oak has never had a town or village, but Peru is the community center of the township. Athol is a railroad coal station, and while several families and a club house are near the stopping—not a station—of the trains, it has never been laid out into lots or become a village.
Pleasant Gap Township.
The topography of Pleasant Gap township is broken, mostly what is called locally, high prairie; but it is good agricultural land. It is watered principally by Double Branches and Willow creeks. Some timber is along the creeks.
History has written that those who settled in this township prior to 1839 were: the Osbornes, a large family from Illinois; two families of Requas in the southwest ; Daniel Francis and two sons-in-law, Arthur and Constable; and Abram Towner, these latter being refugees from Mormon settlements in Jackson county, Missouri. Two families named Harris and Collins lived near the center of the township. Jimmy Ridge, the Walker family, and a family named Beatty. AVilliam Harvey came in 1842 from Texas and left for California in 1849. William Hagan located two miles north of the village of Pleasant Gap and went to California in '49. His brother who came at the same time, and at one time county surveyor, left for California in 1852. Joseph Wix located, where his son now lives, in 1843. James Cockrell came some time prior to 1843, also James Cockrell. Jr. and also Larkin Cockrell and James, Jr. All went to California in '49. Henry Beaver came from Kentucky and went with the others, William Deweese and his sons, Jesse, Evan and Eliph, came from Illinois in 1844. Evan was killed in the battle of Lone Jack.
For further mention of Joseph Wix see chapter on Biographies. Among other old settlers entitled to mention were : Dr. John H. and R. W. McNeil from New York, Peter Trimble, Horace Milton, Cornelius Nafus, S. S. Burch, George M. Requa, John Dillon, W. H. Pitts, J. M. Rogers, William Campbell, Jesse Rinehart, W. B. Young, John Haskins, Philip Standford, James Coe, W. L. Campbell, and John Sisson. The old settlers were generally from Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee.
The first post office in the east part of the county was established in 1840, near where Pleasant Gap village now is and an old man named Anderson Cockrell was the first postmaster. A mail route was established from Boonville, Clinton, Pleasant Gap to Balltown, on the Little Osage river near where Horton now is.
The first store in Pleasant Gap village was opened by Joseph Smith about 1850. It became quite a business center before the war, and when the county was re-organized after the war Pleasant Gap was the temporary seat of government until it was finally moved to Butler. Pleasant Gap continued to be a good business point for many years and is still a community center.
Stumptown. formerly called Lone Oak post office, was established in 1854 in the central western part of the township near the confluence of the north and south branches of Double Branches creek. W. B. Young was the father of this village and opened the first business house in 1854. History records that he carried a stock of general merchandise, the predominating articles, however, being tobacco and whiskey; the latter being almost universally used as the matutinal drink of the old pioneer. Young was noted for his bonhomie and was the recognized fiddler of that vicinity. In addition to being the life of every rural gathering, day or night, he was the sole editor and proprietor of the "Stumptown Clipper," which appeared at regular intervals in manuscript form. The happenings, the doings, the sayings of the neighborhood were all faithfully gathered by this original chronicler, who read his "Clipper" aloud to his own admirers in his own inimitable style. So the historian has set it down, and it is to be regretted that nothing further is known of the "Clipper." It seems it had no circulation except vive voce, and no files were ever put up or preserved, so it is lost to the world.
Hudson township is fairly watered and drained by Panther creek and Camp branch and their tributary streams. Timber is along the creeks. It is a fine agricultural township.
Rev. Israel Robords, a Missionary Baptist, came in the spring of 1843 and settled near the then town of Hudson. He was a New Yorker, from Saratoga county. Col. George Douglas came to America from Scotland, and settled in the northwest part of the township in 1837. Before the war he owned eight thousand acres of land in one body, and was one of the largest stock raisers in the state. He was one of the first judges of the county court. When the war came on he went to Texas and took w4th him forty-five slaves. He died there in 1869. George Rains was an early settler, but we have been unable to learn the date. John D. Myers came to Hudson township in 1842, and he became one of the forceful men of the early building days of the county. Hence larger mention of Judge Myers will be made elsewhere. The Gilbreaths, William, Simeon and Stephen came and settled in Hudson in 1840. John Gilbreath, the father of the three sons, died in 1865. aged eighty years.
The town of Hudson was located April 10, 1867 by Judge Charles I. Robards who purchased the land for a company of twenty-one men. The first building was a general store, erected by Smith Brothers of Clinton, and William E. Brinkerhoff and Y. A. Wallace put in charge. The second house was a residence erected by Judge Robards. Then a business house owned and operated by James Hodkins and E. M. King. The first blacksmith was Alexander Gordon. Joel Pratt was the first postmaster. The ambitious little village had visions of greatness, but when the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad went by and Appleton City was started three and one-half miles east its dreams faded, and the village has for years been only a memory. Its fate was only typical of many others—predicted too much upon what never occurred, and hence death. In 1877 a post office was established called Labia which was discontinued after four years. John W. Brown was the first postmaster and Clark Wix the second and last..
Rockville township is in the southeast corner of Bates county. It is mostly rolling to level, and is watered and drained by Panther, Camp and Shaw branches, flowing into Osage on the south line. Plenty of timber and fine soil. It is. according to the government soil survevors elsewhere quoted in this work, the lowest area of the county, being about four hundred feet lower than West Boone township in the extreme northwest part of the county.
Robert Belcher settled in Rockville township in section 11, in 1838 and he died in 1856. A man by the name of Bridges, a blacksmith by trade, settled on the Osage river south of the town of Rockville about this time. William Anderson settled two and a half miles west of Rockville in 1837. and died in 1858. Berry Hunt, the first shoemaker, came in the fall of 1838, and settled on the river in the southeast corner of the county and township. Matt Millering and John N. Belcher came respectively in 1856 and 1855. William and Wiseman Hollingsworth were early settlers before the war, in the eastern part. David O. Deever, and his father and family; Frank Logan, John H. Walker, Thomas Belcher and William Shaw were all old settlers, and all came before the war.
The town of Rockville was laid out July 29, 1868 by William L. Hardesty on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad, and it has always enjoyed a good trade. It is the shipping point for a wide territory. The township and town seem to have derived their name from a great sandstone quarry which was largely worked in an early day not far from the town. It is excellent building stone and formerly was shipped all over the country; but in recent years seems to have been neglected. The town was incorporated in 1878, the first board of trustees being J. M. Boreing. chairman; A. C. AVood, W. F. Fiquet, L. Johannes, and W. A. Cooper. It now has two banks, a high school, churches, a mill and elevators, and is a thrifty little town, largely surrounded by a good class of good American German farmers.
In Prairie township the Osage and Marais des Cygnes rivers, with their tributaries afford abundant water and also, the means of drainage. Abundant and valuable timber along the rivers and smaller streams Large, fertile bottoms - somewhat subject to overflow - and rich, rolling uplands.
Excluding the settlement of Harmony Mission from the discussion of this place and in this connection—because any adequate story of this township's historical worth requires a separate chapter—we endeavor at this place to treat Prairie as other townships are treated.
Among the early settlers outside of Harmony Mission, was John B. Chorette, a Frenchman, who built a mill about two miles up the Marais des Cygnes river from Harmony Mission in 1833 or 1834. The precise date of his settlement is not known. He operated the mill for several years and sold it to another pioneer by the name of John M. Parks and while he owned it, sometime during the Civil War, it was destroyed. This was doubtless the first mill in the county, other than the one at the Mission.
Freeman Barrows settled near the Mission in 1838, coming from Middleboro, Massachusetts. He came about the time Harmony Mission was discontinued, and worked in the store of Capt. William Waldo at the Mission until he was appointed county clerk upon the organization of the county. Freeman Barrows was so connected with the early history of the county that he will receive further mention in the proper chapter. Mr. Barrows settled about a mile and a half southeast of what is now the village of Papinsville, or about two and a half miles southeast of Harmony Mission. About a mile further in the same general direction was his nearest neighbor. Peter Colin (said to be pronounced Colee), a Frenchman; and still about two miles further southeast Melicourt Papin and Alichael Geraud, two Frenchmen, had settled, on the bank of the Osage river at a place known as Rapid de Kaw, because the Kaw Indians were in the habit of crossing the Osage at that point on their hunting trips. The place is now known as Colin's Ford. Papin and Geraud came from St. Louis and were connected with the American Fur Company and were Indian traders. It is certain they settled there as early as 1834, and probably earlier. Other settlers were R. A. Baughan, G. R. Garrison, John Zimmerman. Thomas Scroghern, George W. Hopkins, Daniel Johnson, A. Goodin, John Hartman, A. B. Bradley, Phillip Zeal. James McCool. Maj. J. X. Bradley, H. A. Thurman. D. A. W. Moorehouse. Thurman & Moorehouse were attorneys-at-law. Alexander Waddle was another old settler and settled in the northeast part of the township.
The history of Harmony Mission requires a separate chapter, and hence we merely mention here that it was the first American settlement in all this section of Missouri, and occurred the year that Missouri became a state of the Union.
The village of Papinsville was laid out in April. 1847. and was named after Melicourt Papin. a French Indian trader. The owner of the land was George Pierce who settled, or "squatted"' there about 1844, and was a farmer.
Dr. Samuel Hogan was among the early settlers in the new town. The first drug store was opened by Dr. Zachariah Anderson in 1854. Augustine Deville, a Frenchman, was the first blacksmith. Benjamin Richardson operated the first mill in 1853. It was a portable ten-horse power, but afterward located on the bank of the Marais des Cygnes and improved by substituting steam for horse power. It was destroyed by fire in 1861. Thomas Burnside was the pioneer attorney-at-law. S. H. Loring opened the first merchandise store ; F. F. Eddy, the second. Each of these men moved their stock of goods from Harmony Mission in 1848, when the county seat was located at Papinsville. The first postmaster was Dr. Z. Anderson. F. F. Eddy kept the first house of entertainment. Wiseman Hollingsworth, Preston Denton and Jonathan Kemper, a Baptist minister, were early residents. From 1852 to 1855 Papinsville was the center of much business and was a flourishing town. In the early days small steamboats came up the Missouri and the Osage to Papinsville and brought merchandise. During the years mentioned Papinsville had five general stores, and other business and trades in proportion. It was the center of a large circle, and men came many miles to mill and to trade in the most important town in the country at the time.
Prairie City was laid out by Joshua N. Durand May 2, 1858. It is nicely located in the center of a fine farming country; but it has never been anything more than a country village and a pleasant community center—a school house and one or two stores.
The proud Osage Indians lived about Harmony Mission and where Papinsville was located after their removal to the West, and this township is peculiarly rich from an historical viewpoint, and it will be found adequately treated in this volume.
Out away from the river, Osage township is a rolling rich prairie land, with a little broken land along the streams, and wide, low, flat bottoms along the river. Timber is in abundance on the river and its tributaries, the principal being the Big Muddy. Large sections of the township are underlain by fine bituminous coal.
Osage had few settlers before the Civil War. It was an open grazing country. But among the earliest settlers we may mention Hardin Summers, Prudence Smith, Widow Powers, L. Culbertson, M. V. Berry and William Wear. Settlers soon after the war, we may mention George Reif, John D. Moore, J. A. Barron, Rufus Ross, James Kelly, John S. Craig, Isaac Neat, Ed Crabb, S. G. Rhodes. Allen Haworth, W. C. Hedden, J. P. Moreland, W. B. March. F. M. Dejarnett, Allen Johnson, E. C. Miller, Alfred Miller, Robert Hamilton, William Barnhill, and Benjamin Vance.
Howard is the extreme southwestern township of the county. It is a high, rolling, fertile prairie, very little broken by streams, and scarcely any waste land or timber of importance. It is one of the best grain townships in the county.
A. B. Willoughby was one of the first settlers and came from Jackson county, Missouri, and settled in the southeast part in 1857. Guy Smith came and settled in the same vicinity before the war. Rev. William Rider settled in this township before the war. John Patton, a brother-in-law, lived near him before the war; and James Hardin, a son-in-law of Guy Patton settled on the headwaters of Reed's creek in an early day. Among those who came and settled in the township immediately after the war are: A. B. Wilkins, Richard Miller, John Badgett, J. J. Franklin. John Rush, J. Frank, J. J. Bearden, R. N. Covert, U. McConnell, C. W. Hollenback and E. C. Maxwell.
Sprague was laid out in the fall of 1880 by A. Blaker of Pleasanton, Kansas, and was surveyed by Edwin Butts. The first house in town was moved from New Home by Charles Wilson, who was a farmer residing in Howard. He occupied it as a residence and store. The next business house was occupied by J. W. Maker as a general merchandise store. The first board of trustees were : J. R. McDonald, chairman; B. H. Smith, clerk; J. W. Bobbitt; W. A. Williams; Alexander Willoughby; and Dr. R. F. Hulett. Sprague is on the "Frisco" branch which comes in from Miami to Rich Hill.
Hume was laid out in 1880 by Noah Little. In 1882, S. L. Standish laid out an addition north of the "Frisco" right of way. Hume has a public square in the center of business. D. H. Hill built the first business house and put the first stock of goods in. He came from Walnut post office in Walnut township. Messenger, Fisher & Kell erected a grist mill in 1882. Hume is situate on the "Frisco" at or near the crossing of the Kansas City Southern as it is now called ; and is a thriving, business-like town. It is claimed that it is the "best town on the Kansas City & Southern in Bates county." Through the influence of its only newspaper, the "Border Telephone," every house in town was painted white, and hence it is known as the White City on the border.
History of Bates County Missouri by W.O. Atkeson 1918
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails